Forum Settings
Forums

What anime is in your opinion an underrated gem?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 20, 2018 12:58 PM

Dec 2014
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider
Oct 20, 2018 1:05 PM

May 2017
I'd have to say Flying Witch, which I actually finished quite recently. It's such a calm and cute anime to just sit back and relax to. Lots of loveable characters in my opinion.
Oct 20, 2018 1:23 PM
Apr 2017
Muzashi said:
I-Refute-Cute said:
that's probably why I didn't enjoy it.
might as well stop watching anime at this point
Nah, sorry that I am not a fan of high school girls doing cute stuff.
Oct 20, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2017
I-Refute-Cute said:
Muzashi said:
might as well stop watching anime at this point
That's fine, everyone's different and it should always be that way. I love every genre/sub genre in anime and I regret nothing.
Oct 20, 2018 1:35 PM

Sep 2018
Dragon Half is a underrated gem imo. The comedy was great! The characters were likable. Even the villains were comedy gold!
Oct 20, 2018 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora aka Looking up at the half moon
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2018 1:42 PM

Dec 2008
- D.Gray-man
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn
- Soul Eater
Oct 20, 2018 1:51 PM
Apr 2018
Ajin, it doesn't get a good reputation simply because it has CGI Animation. While the animation is CGI it is more impressive than most. It's a brilliant action/thriller.
Oct 20, 2018 1:53 PM
Apr 2017
Muzashi said:
I-Refute-Cute said:
That's fine, everyone's different and it should always be that way. I love every genre/sub genre in anime and I regret nothing.
yeah, that is pretty impressive because I dislike probably 6-7 genres.
Oct 20, 2018 2:08 PM

Jul 2007
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Grappler Baki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Mawaru Penguin Drum
Princess Tutu
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 20, 2018 2:09 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty much anything that the pubescents on Mal deslike.
Oct 20, 2018 2:12 PM

Oct 2018
Hyouka didn’t go viral and the team behind it fell apart before they made an ending. It’s really a good anime.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Oct 20, 2018 2:28 PM

Jun 2017
Mitsuboshi Colors and Golden Kamuy I guess
Oct 20, 2018 2:38 PM
Sep 2018
Mirai nikki is rated fine in popularity but underrated in terms of numbers it should at least be an 8.4

Zetsuen no tempest underrated in popularity
Oct 20, 2018 2:50 PM
Apr 2016
Tiger & Bunny is one of my favorite animes ever. The animation is not the best, as well as the CGI but the plot is so good and entretaining. Barnaby is kinda like batman but better tbh. I feel like it's mostly appreciated in Japan than it is here... people should give it a try.
Oct 20, 2018 2:53 PM

May 2015
geneshaft is a underrated gem thats for sure. most of the stuff u guys are naming are mainstream animes lol?
My Candies:
Oct 20, 2018 2:54 PM

Dec 2013
Fuujin Monogatari

Criminally underrated but wtf ever.
Oct 20, 2018 3:02 PM

Feb 2018
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

A different and unique anime... One of the rakugo made me laugh a lot and the second season made me feel really emotional
Oct 20, 2018 3:13 PM

Mar 2016
wolf's rain probably.

i've never heard anyone talk about it, but it's so original and it left me fucking heartbroken.
Oct 20, 2018 3:14 PM
Aug 2017
Shigofumi is a cute little gem I found I while ago. It's quite sad and has pretty good characters and plot
Oct 20, 2018 4:15 PM

Apr 2018
Godhead_ said:
Tiger & Bunny is one of my favorite animes ever. The animation is not the best, as well as the CGI but the plot is so good and entertaining. Barnaby is kinda like batman but better tbh. I feel like it's mostly appreciated in Japan than it is here... people should give it a try.

This^^^^^

Good lord, the plot towards the end of the series gets so intense.
Oct 20, 2018 4:21 PM

Jul 2015
In This Corner of the World is SUCH a good war movie, grave of the fireflies has left the chat

Also gurren lagann would be nothing without Gunbuster and the latter gets very little credit I feel
Oct 20, 2018 4:35 PM
Sep 2018
ReLife. Super sweet, funny, and a good slice of life, feel-good-y show.
Oct 20, 2018 5:31 PM
Nov 2016
Yama no Susume, Strawberry Panic, Sabage-bu.
These all need more attention or at least more recognition. I would recommend these to anyone who likes these genres or types of shows.
Oct 20, 2018 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
Kimi to Boku. I always want more people to watch Kimi to Boku.
Oct 20, 2018 6:13 PM

Aug 2018
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Probably the main reason is because its a little old and isn't the highest ranked on here. If you haven't seen it definitely give it a watch. One of the first anime I watched and what made me realize why anime is 2000% better than any tv show (most) made here in the US.
Oct 20, 2018 6:20 PM

Jun 2016
Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! by acclaimed director Mamoru Oshii is arguably the most underrated anime on the site, mostly from how unknown it is; at the time I am writing this a total of 3544 users have added it to their list, and from them only a mere 856 have given it a score.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2018 6:25 PM
May 2017
Tanmay_Hedaoo said:
I think ORANGE is quite underrated. It is pretty good anime according to me . I seriously think that It deserves a minimum 8+ Ranking . I don't know about much people but I loved it. All people have different taste .
The fact that Naho still chose the mentally unstable suicidal fuck (Kakeru) over Suwa really bothered me. This alone probably made people lower their scores or even dislike the anime.
Oct 20, 2018 6:45 PM

Mar 2017
(Not sure if some may consider these underrated or not but here we go)

Death Parade is pretty underrated in my opinion, but only because I assume there is a lot of people who only about it through its awesome op, not through the show itself. I highly recommend watching it for anyone that hasnt seen it yet.

I reckon Inuyashiki is very underrated though. Not only was it my favourite anime of Fall last year, but it's also in my top 5 in general (probably doesnt say much considering I've watched roughly 30). Nonetheless, Inuyashiki is much more than just a 'Bang' here and there and a Donald Trump cameo, its really good and executes its unique concept well.
Inuyashiki is the Best Mecha ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 20, 2018 6:49 PM

Mar 2018
Definitely Magic Kaito 1412. Almost everyone who knows about Detective Conan will know about this series, but DC always gets more views and popularity, while MK is left largely unknown. Magic Kaito's manga actually started (7 years) before Detective Conan's did, and look at the two series know. 30 years after Magic Kaito, it only has 36 chapters and 36 episodes (12 from the DC specials and 24 from MK1412), and 24 years after Conan and it has 1021 chapters and 916 episodes. And if I may add, while the series was great, it's sad that Kaito's story was adapted into an anime for the first time as a special for Detective Conan, not as his own separate series.
Don't get me wrong, I love Detective Conan, but I would probably like it more if there was less filler. Based on how the story is going so far, I think if there wasn't as much filler, the series, be it the manga and/or the anime would be finished by now. I'm hoping that as soon as DC is finished (which, based on the story, seems to be coming up soon), Gosho Aoyama will go back to Magic Kaito.
MK is one of my favorite series: Kaito Kid is one of the best anime characters ever (IMO), the story is great, as well as the characters. It was easy for me to understand, and the story is constantly progressing. That's one of the things about MK: Based on the nature of the story (Kaito trying to find Pandora), whether each chapter features the organization he's chasing after or not, it still makes progression towards his goal. This series, the story and characters and music and art style and animation, is a masterpiece. I highly recommend it to everyone. You'll fall in love with it, I guarantee.
(https://myanimelist.net/anime/25517/Magic_Kaito_1412?q=Magic%20Kaito)
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

Oct 20, 2018 7:02 PM

Aug 2018
WaterLord said:
Mitsuboshi Colors

Mitsuboshi Colors was a bit of a waste.
They created three highly charismatic characters and did practically nothing interesting with them. As much as I wanted to love it, it was pretty mediocre.

A score of 7.5 might actually be a tiny bit generous. Still, it's an absolutely gorgeous show...
Oct 20, 2018 7:08 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
You all slept on Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) and that's a fact.
Oct 20, 2018 8:38 PM

Jul 2007
Sanguinaire321 said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Probably the main reason is because its a little old and isn't the highest ranked on here. If you haven't seen it definitely give it a watch. One of the first anime I watched and what made me realize why anime is 2000% better than any tv show (most) made here in the US.

Gurren Lagann was a very big deal when it was new. I agree with the quality of it, its one of the best anime I've seen.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 20, 2018 8:46 PM

Apr 2018
I will never not say THE BIG O in these threads.

Oct 20, 2018 8:56 PM

Jan 2011
the first one that comes to mind is Now and Then, Here and There... i dont get it has a lot of thing that nowadays tend t call the attention from anime fans like tragedy, torture, child explotation, travelling to another world an the whole subverted expectations stuff that some people confuse with deconstruction
silversaintOct 20, 2018 9:01 PM
Oct 20, 2018 8:59 PM

Dec 2017
Detroit Metal City. Best comedy i've seen
Oct 20, 2018 9:29 PM

Sep 2018
Senyuu, Kaiba, Pokémon Origins & Generations, Tetsuwan Birdy, Bubblegum Crisis, Bobobo, Space Dandy
I’m still reading the manga for this one and haven’t watched the anime, but Angelic Layer is one of CLAMP’s lesser talked about works
Oct 20, 2018 9:44 PM

Jul 2010
Bokurano
Bartender
Seikai no Monshou
Freedom
Tamayura
Planetes
Oct 20, 2018 10:39 PM

Jul 2015
Fang of the Sun Dougram. It may be old, and it may not have the best animation but the story and characters are absolutely amazing.
Oct 21, 2018 1:21 AM
Aug 2018
SlightlyPebbled said:
Tanmay_Hedaoo said:
I think ORANGE is quite underrated. It is pretty good anime according to me . I seriously think that It deserves a minimum 8+ Ranking . I don't know about much people but I loved it. All people have different taste .
The fact that Naho still chose the mentally unstable suicidal fuck (Kakeru) over Suwa really bothered me. This alone probably made people lower their scores or even dislike the anime.

If you really love someone you will obviously choose him over someone else. Naho loved kakeru . So it is obvious that she would choose kakeru over Suwa . Even though Suwa did everything for her but in the end I think it was right that she listened to her heart and chose kakeru.
Calling kakeru a ' mentally unstable sucidal fuck' I would like to comment on that. I lost my mother a few months ago in an accident . He also lost his mother but it's not just that it is also because of the last talk he had with his mother. He would have never thought that it would be the last one. He always thought that her mother died because of him . What would you think if your mother died because of you and you could have done something to save her? I would have done anything! Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mother and regret that why didn't I stop her from going . Please try to understand his situation. I know that everyone has different views and taste but please think about it
Oct 21, 2018 1:27 AM

May 2018
WIXOSS series

Order:
Infected
Spread
Destructed
Incited
Conflated
Oct 21, 2018 1:30 AM

May 2013
spring and chaos
perfect philosophical slice of life for anyone going through an existential crisis. ^-^
Oct 21, 2018 1:42 AM
Sep 2016
Re:CREATORS
i can legit go all day about what makes every single minute of that show is amazing ...but most people seem to have missed the point anyways and the damage is done :(

(seriously though... I'm not joking...EVERY MINUTE)
1.1.Six
Oct 21, 2018 9:31 AM
Oct 2017
CheerioPlebs said:
Kaiba, the few people i know that watched it gave it 8+/10.
But no one wants to try it these days.
I'm actually watching it now. It's pretty good
Oct 21, 2018 10:15 AM

Mar 2017
non non biyori. it's my favorite slice of life
Oct 21, 2018 10:29 AM
Jul 2016
Onara Gorou, 13 eps 3 minutes each. It's pretty weird and funny, and episode 11 is just mind blowing, it poses many philosophical questions, no bamboozle I'm 100% serious
Oct 21, 2018 10:51 AM

Aug 2017
LocalTrashcan said:
I'd have to say Flying Witch, which I actually finished quite recently. It's such a calm and cute anime to just sit back and relax to. Lots of loveable characters in my opinion.

I think Flying Witch is one of the best SoL anime out there and definetly deserves more love.
Oct 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
Dauphine said:
Yes, a lot of my favorite anime are underrated, some it's understandable due to age, but still....

I think these need more exposure:

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Inu x Boku SS

Matantei Loki Ragnarok

Puchi Puuri Yucie

Servamp
Shaman King
Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear

HOLY SHIT, DAUPHINE PLEASE FRIEND ME, OKAY? XD

Oct 21, 2018 2:09 PM

Jul 2015
Bartender
Binchou-tan
Nitaboh
Sore ga Seiyuu!

I don't think everything here is "a masterpiece", but I'm certain they deserve more attention.
Oct 21, 2018 2:59 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah, of course, there are many. One is Blassreiter because I hardly have ever heard anybody talked about it. It deserves way more attention.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

17 by Serafos »»
11 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

84 by Hikinekomori »»
22 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

113 by lycan_ »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.