Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2018 4:29 AM

Mar 2017
Ever met an anime that felt like it drank an entire ocean of caffeine? Would you consider watching it at a slower speed, say 0.90x? Would that, in your opinion, be better than constantly pausing it?

Because I'm this close to doing it with Kyousougiga. The visuals are frenetic and I love it. I don't want to miss a beat and having to read the subs is frankly detrimental.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 18, 2018 4:33 AM

Jul 2014
Eanki said:
Ever met an anime that felt like it drank an entire ocean of caffeine? Would you consider watching it at a slower speed, say 0.90x? Would that, in your opinion, be better than constantly pausing it?

Because I'm this close to doing it with Kyousougiga. The visuals are frenetic and I love it. I don't want to miss a beat and having to read the subs is frankly detrimental.
Eanki said:

I guess you could try, but I think you should watch the show at the speed it's intended. As far as I can tell, you should either drop the show or continue with it. Why even bother asking the forum? Just watch it at .9 speed and make a decision on whether you want to continue doing so.
Oct 18, 2018 4:47 AM

May 2013
I have gotten used to pausing. I admire anime for its art and pausing helps me notice stuff more as well. As well as read subs when there's too much caffeine in the scene.

Slowing down the video and audio just causes fancy audio artifacts to pop up (explainable in signal processing terms but I won't bother going into that).
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 18, 2018 4:56 AM

Apr 2012
The problem with slowing is it changes the intended pacing. For short anime like Kyousougiga I'd recommend rewatching. Like the first time you focus on pausing and reading everything, then the second time you can focus on the visuals.
Oct 18, 2018 5:01 AM

Apr 2018
I guess I often find myself pausing or re-run the scene when watching fast dialogues or scenes.
Oct 18, 2018 5:14 AM
Jun 2016
I end up pausing anime even if there isn't too much information to handle, even if the anime are good. I think that's because I typically watch 4 episodes per sitting and sometimes that can be a bit overwhelming.

I also tend to speed up anime a lot. Space Brothers I sped it up to 1.5x and then 2.0x except when they were in space (which was like 1 minute every episode for a 10 episode stretch, and then 4 consecutive episodes of non-stop space). After that I started playing minecraft while I watch the anime because both minecraft and space brothers weren't engaging enough to deserve my full attention.

Anyway, in Tatami Galaxy I wasn't able to keep up with the subtitles, when that happened I just ignored half the dialogue, because frankly most of the time an anime's dialogue doesn't even matter. I was able to keep up with the subtitles for the monogatari series, but I kept doing double takes because I didn't comprehend a line until after it passed. I picked up on the stellar visual direction of Kyousou Giga, but I couldn't fully benefit from it because of the subtitles, so in that case I just internally expressed my frustration about the series and gave it a lower score.

It's a shame that not Tatami Galaxy, Monogatari nor Kyousou Giga have dubs (and for the record everyone DUBS ARE NOT EVIL), but at least Mob Psycho 100 has a dub.
Oct 18, 2018 12:19 PM

Nov 2017
I either pause or re-run the scene which were too fast for my eyes or to admire the arts and visuals.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Oct 18, 2018 12:22 PM

Feb 2010
idk, to me any tempo changes of the file just ruin the anime from how it was intented. If something looks wonky or off I can't be sure if it is, or if it just is because of the tempo change. I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the visuals if the happen at a different pace than intended. But I'm also a very fast reader so I barely ever had this problem.

If it's really a great show you can just rewatch scenes or the whole thing after focusing on the dialogue the first time.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 18, 2018 12:23 PM

Feb 2018
Why would you want to spent more time watching trash ? A true otaku watches anime speed up by 4x on two screens at the same time.
Oct 18, 2018 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
you can't really meet anime op
and no i have never considered that
Oct 18, 2018 12:31 PM

Dec 2017
eh, but Kyousougiga wasn't even that fast... i mean, after watching Tatami Galaxy at 2x speed everything seems slow to me
Oct 18, 2018 12:34 PM

Oct 2010
I never pause anime and I've watched some pretty fast ones: tatami galaxy, occultic 9, teekyuu. I just continue watching with my mouth half open. These anime aren't that hard to understand, if you read 80% of the subs you're good to go.
The only exception would be sagrada reset, that anime is too fast, you have to watch it at a 0.5x speed to understand its glory.
Oct 18, 2018 12:40 PM

May 2013
uninstallthegame said:
eh, but Kyousougiga wasn't even that fast... i mean, after watching Tatami Galaxy at 2x speed everything seems slow to me

LOL
Of all shows, it had to be Tatami Galaxy! What an absolute madman :D
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 18, 2018 2:36 PM

Aug 2016
No.

I don't want to mess up anything that comes with not playing at original speed i.e. sound.

I rather not try and ruin the intended pace.

If I have to pause at 0.9 and rewind, I'd feel even shittier. I rewind commonly enough that I've gotten more used to it and it becomes less frustrating.
Oct 18, 2018 2:44 PM

May 2014
Kyousou giga was so slow though, I fell asleep like 50 times.
Oct 18, 2018 2:57 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
The only time I ever felt an anime went too fast for me was the first episode of Tatami Galaxy, lol.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 18, 2018 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
I watch it at normal speed because the show was meant to be enjoyed that way.
Oct 18, 2018 4:23 PM

Aug 2015
Well I used watch Monogatari at slow speed at some moments because there are a lot of text flashing
Oct 21, 2018 1:56 AM

Jul 2017
Watching anime at a slower rate helps though, I definitely recommend it.
Oct 21, 2018 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
Imagine trying to watch tatami galaxy at 0.5 speed
nahhh
Oct 21, 2018 2:08 AM

Apr 2016
Eanki said:

I see you're a man of culture as well! 😁
Oct 21, 2018 2:10 AM

Apr 2016
If you cant read the damn subs then just dont watch it lmao.
Oct 21, 2018 6:59 AM

Apr 2014
constantly pausing could get annoying quickly, but im not familiar with that anime and how fast the subs are for that. occult;nine on the other hand purposefully starts off at like 1.3x speed or something so slowing that down could be actually useful if you are into the art
Oct 21, 2018 7:11 AM

Feb 2015
The only anime I ever needed to pause a lot was Bakemonogateri, just to read all the extra stuff that came on the screen all the time. Slowing down to 0.9x speed wouldn't really solve anything.
Oct 21, 2018 4:40 PM

Mar 2014
I watched on crunchyroll so couldn't slow but Occultic nine was awful to watch at normal speed.
Oct 22, 2018 2:45 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
The Monogatari series is the only series I can ever really imagine you needing to do that due to how fast they talk and how many little jokes and what not they throw at you both in what they're saying and what they're showing on screen it can take a lot to catch everything (not that you can truly appreciate it unless you're like actually Japanese so you get all the deep cultural and language references I know I sure as hell didn't). Maybe Tatami Galaxy and Legend Of The Galactic Heroes both those if I recall moved pretty fast at times with how many words per minute they were cramming in (and once again ironically despite the fast talking speed it was stuff you actually had to pay attention to and think on).
Oct 22, 2018 10:53 AM

Oct 2017
I would never watch anime at anything but normal speed, there are a few anime that were difficult to keep up with at times though (Monogatari series, Tatami galaxy, Saiki Kusuo). I'll pause an anime if I missed something important but that's pretty rare.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

59 by SuperAdventure »»
21 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

13 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

54 by L1feHasNoMeaning »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

87 by Punkero »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

984 by subahokke »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.