Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 17, 2018 8:10 PM

Dec 2016
before anything else, I apologize for any difficulty in understanding my text that you may have. I'm not sure how good my level of English is, and for this reason, sometimes, I make mistakes without realizing it.

At the moment, there is much discussion about criticism in the community of this site and various YouTube channels, claiming that many criticisms are invalid, made by political agendas and them separating critics into groups.

one of the examples of arguments that idea is:

Art is subjective, if you do not like something that does not make this thing bad.

I totally agree with this but if we are going to take seriously the art of criticizing, I think we have to ask other questions that I, and probably the majority of the community, do not know how to answer or respond with uncertainty about its validity.

What makes a show good or bad? A comedy might work for some and not for others, an action scene might satisfy some rather than others.

1. We can say that Show X is good in the opinion of people who like X, but then any show will be considered a good show.

this would be like saying that a useless bastard is good at being a useless bastard.

2. Which things are subjective and which are not?

Is everything in art subjective? if not what things are not?

some people claim that the fluidity of the art, the amount of filters, the synchrony between movements and sounds, variety of songs and jokes would be objective things,

but what if someone says they like static art, absent synchrony and little variety is part of that person's personal taste?

What would you answer?

3. If we conclude that art is at least half subjective, what does the critiscism of people and the teachings of artists mean to each other and to the readers?

let's suppose a situation:

A writer says the other "Do not write InfoDumps in the book because the readers do not like it" But at the end of the day a book with InfoDumps gets popular, then some critic says "This book makes the mistake of committing its time to IfoDumps."

Should these writers continue to avoid InfoDump? Is this criticism valid? Useful? Why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that we as consumers of the product, (I am neither a writer nor a producer, so I can not speak for them) should seek to understand the reasons why certain practices harm a product even if it is well recognized.

And the principle behind it is that I believe the feelings that certain actions in the movies and animations evoke are not only subjective.

if we give a close up on an object we are forced to see it in more detail. scenes with a lot of movement pass a dynamic impression to the bodies in motion, whether we like it or not, and this seems to me enough to create an objective point of comparison between the interaction and the execution. And the Works Who use this are usually betters ones.

And although I suspect that elaborate scenes of agreement can have positive effects, such as creating memories or surprise I start to question one more thing:

What is the point of an art critic to criticize an art work having the intention of changing the industry to make artistic works that please the average consumer if the average consumer is already satisfied?

(Again, I apologize if you find it difficult to read the text, I repeated many words, it's kind of embarrassing. If you have any questions or corrections to make regarding the text, you can tell me.I would like to delete the post if things do not go well, but I can not, if this turns into a big fire I'll pretend it never existed in the first place (P:) )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for people who do not want to read something so long, here's a summary:

I'm looking to know what you think about what justifies calling a show "good" or "bad"

How subjective is a work of art.

How people should deal with the situation where the critical opinion does not match the public's

and what is the use of criticism these days, especially when they do not translate into the financial success of an anime or film.
N04L1TYOct 17, 2018 8:37 PM
heh.
Oct 17, 2018 8:39 PM

Oct 2017
J_LEE_C said:
You are literally the third person I've seen in 5 minutes write a Novel for a post - and didn't include a tl;dr at the bottom.

I don't see why people need to include a tl;dr. If you don't want to or are too lazy to read long posts, then don't bother replying/posting at all.
Oct 17, 2018 8:40 PM

Nov 2017
There is an essay from Oscar Wilde called "The Critic as Artist". You can find the pdf easily and is not very long.

Give it a try. It's kind of dense and not very friendly, but it can teach us a lot about criticism in general and give an answer to some of your questions.
Oct 17, 2018 8:40 PM

Dec 2016
J_LEE_C said:
You are literally the third person I've seen in 5 minutes write a Novel for a post - and didn't include a tl;dr at the bottom.

Writing a resume is a good idea, thank you.
heh.
Oct 17, 2018 8:42 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Everything is subjective. If you actually want to dole out quality critics or criticism towards anything you have to have seen or watched enough media, not just anime in general to know what you're talking about. And if you're going to use examples to contrast what A did wrong and B did right. Don't just use one example use many.

The point of art critic in general is more for ego than anything else. Unless you are directly giving criticism to the artist which none of us on here are. Criticism towards a piece of work either elevates or demotes other pieces it from other media of its ilk more or less.
Oct 17, 2018 8:57 PM

Aug 2016
Stripes said:
Everything is subjective. If you actually want to dole out quality critics or criticism towards anything you have to have seen or watched enough media, not just anime in general to know what you're talking about. And if you're going to use examples to contrast what A did wrong and B did right. Don't just use one example use many.

The point of art critic in general is more for ego than anything else. Unless you are directly giving criticism to the artist which none of us on here are. Criticism towards a piece of work either elevates or demotes other pieces it from other media of its ilk more or less.

Hmmm, I don't know if its so much an ego thing or not. Yes, the criticism is never going to reach the artist, however, just like writing a good book report, by using introspection and studying genre convention you are capable of finding the things that you liked or disliked in a work and articulate your opinion to the extent that it helps you fine tune your own tastes in a tangible meaningful way.

You're right that criticism elevates or demotes a piece of media from others but if the critic actually took the time to analyze and make an effort to see what the author was trying to do with their creative work (which will never be 100% certain but there is joy in researching) and see whether or not they succeeded from an outsider perspective's lens, I could hardly say that that's just done so out of ego, and is well worth the time exploring a work of fiction in greater depth.

Although I'd agree with you that many people will not dole out quality criticism in the way you just mentioned earlier.
Oct 17, 2018 9:05 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Somali_Strawhat said:
Stripes said:

Hmmm, I don't know if its so much an ego thing or not. Yes, the criticism is never going to reach the artist, however, just like writing a good book report, by using introspection and studying genre convention you are capable of finding the things that you liked or disliked in a work and articulate your opinion to the extent that it helps you fine tune your own tastes in a tangible meaningful way.

You're right that criticism elevates or demotes a piece of media from others but if the critic actually took the time to analyze and make an effort to see what the author was trying to do with their creative work (which will never be 100% certain but there is joy in researching) and see whether or not they succeeded from an outsider perspective's lens, I could hardly say that that's just done so out of ego, and is well worth the time exploring a work of fiction in greater depth.

Although I'd agree with you that many people will not dole out quality criticism in the way you just mentioned earlier.

I think people most definitely post critics or reviews for ego or at least pride that they swayed the opinion. If you felt satisfied just writing out what you liked or disliked from a piece but never posted it for public access I doubt many would. Can't imagine people are spending time writing reviews and getting better at their craft just to go unnoticed. But I feel similarly in my own medium and about all artistic ventures.
Oct 17, 2018 9:05 PM

Dec 2017
A writer says the other "Do not write InfoDumps in the book because the readers do not like it" But at the end of the day a book with InfoDumps gets popular, then some critic says "This book makes the mistake of committing its time to IfoDumps."

Should these writers continue to avoid InfoDump? Is this criticism valid? Useful? Why?

Honestly this is a pretty good example of how many things can be considered subjective. The critic's opinion against the opinion of the people that like the book. Sure it's a valid opinion, but at the same time, an opinion about how the inclusion of InfoDump is a good idea is also a valid opinion too. There isn't a 'correct' opinion in this imo. Heck, even with facts you can interpret it differently and form a valid opinion.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 17, 2018 9:22 PM

Aug 2016
Stripes said:

I think people most definitely post critics or reviews for ego or at least pride that they swayed the opinion. If you felt satisfied just writing out what you liked or disliked from a piece but never posted it for public access I doubt many would. Can't imagine people are spending time writing reviews and getting better at their craft just to go unnoticed. But I feel similarly in my own medium and about all artistic ventures.

Certainly there are people who do feel that way, and I'd argue the fact that MAL forces reviewers to place a score on something just promotes lacking opinion pieces with no credibile justification just so they can show what they thought of a show on a 10 scale.

Definitely more of the opinion of a should or should you not consume form of criticism as now there is a specific thesis to the argument in question. Without the number there is still some ego in defending your opinion but its less tied in arbitrary measures like is this show over/underrated or is this a 6 or a 7 and more about the real reason someone would bother typing out a critique in the first place.

I do type a lot of reviews and store them on my Google Drive but mainly because I get way too anxious about whether or not I said what I wanted to say in as clearly as possible before posting. Then I end up criticizing my own critiques to death lmao
Oct 17, 2018 9:28 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Somali_Strawhat said:

I do type a lot of reviews and store them on my Google Drive but mainly because I get way too anxious about whether or not I said what I wanted to say in as clearly as possible before posting. Then I end up criticizing my own critiques to death lmao

Sadly I do this as well. You are your own worst critic. But sometimes you have to just put it out there to push yourself to get better.

Also in my own mind, my opinions sway a lot, I'll bump up or down scores depending on what I find out about them or how I feel about them on the rewatch. Kind of annoying to be frank.
Oct 17, 2018 9:41 PM

Aug 2016
Stripes said:
Somali_Strawhat said:

Sadly I do this as well. You are your own worst critic. But sometimes you have to just put it out there to push yourself to get better.

Also in my own mind, my opinions sway a lot, I'll bump up or down scores depending on what I find out about them or how I feel about them on the rewatch. Kind of annoying to be frank.

Same here, I make it a point to not score anime I watch for that very reason. I'm just incapable of tying what is essentially a subjective perspective of an already subjective form of media using the most objective measurement of truth in the entire universe lol. You're right I gotta get better at putting my stuff out there but more often than not I get too caught up in that number and not what the number represents. Super annoying indeed
Oct 17, 2018 10:06 PM

Oct 2014
I think this thread is asking the wrong question. It puts too much onto what the fan base actually are; consumers, they're not actual critics.

It's important to dissociate consumer criticism, critics by popularity, and critics by merit. The latter isn't established in the slightest for anime in the west (i assume it's more established in Japan), at best it's a VERY small handful of YouTubers who over the years educated themselves enough to be taken on merit of their knowledge in literature and art. At worst it's a few very sound arguments, for and against, spread across thousands of different anime reviews that you'll probably never find; YouTubers that have a big enough fan base to give their opinion and have people take it as valid or invalid criticism to fuel flame wars.

TL;DR: Don't put too much value on what people think, take it with a grain of salt and mold your own perspective from it. A platform for real critique simply doesn't exist atm for anime, or enough known critics by merit for that to be made tomorrow, imo.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Aug 2018
1. What makes a show good or bad?
You are right in saying that some people like X show and others do not. But sample size matters here. What determines whether its good or not is that 'MOST' people like X show and only a 'FEW' do not. And good here doen't necessarily mean quality but rather success

2.Art and Subjectivity
I believe only experts can critically analyze art because they have the technical knowledge to be able to do so. As in irrespective of their personal preferences, they can comment on art at a technical level and what makes it good or bad.
When the regular guy comments on art, it is subjective. He doesn't know the technical aspects and can hence only give an opinion.

3. Criticisms from other artists can be constructive and help notice a flaw that you maybe did not see before. It can help you improve. Also its good to be aware of someone whos just critical vs someone whos just nitpicking. Criticism from readers on the other hand provided it even reaches the artist is usually taken with a pinch of salt. Since its a consumer product, a couple of poor reviews isn't going to make a difference but if you get a number of people saying the same things, you may need to take note
FireballKnuckleOct 17, 2018 11:06 PM
Oct 17, 2018 10:43 PM

Feb 2010
I'll copypaste this post I made a few days ago on the subject, in response to someone whose definition of criticism seemed to be 'to point out what was wrong/bad about a show':

Criticizing isn't simply saying what was wrong. Or rather that's just one, kinda reductive definition of the word. Critic isn't inherently negative in its other, more general meaning which is the how it should be used when talking about criticizing literature or film (or anime).

" to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly" (Merriam-Webster)
"Form and express a judgement of (a literary or artistic work)" (Oxford Dictionary)
"to give an opinion or judgment about a book, film, etc." (Cambridge Dictionary)

It's something you do for your own sake (and enjoyment). To understand both what you watched and your reactions to it better. What about it worked and what didn't, and why? How did the movie/book/anime achieve making you feel tension, or sadness, or joy, or empathy? What methods did the visuals, the script, the actors use to convey those things? Why were events shows in a certain order or from a certain perspective? Which information was given to us when, in which order and why? Etc...

Only after thorough examination, if you're confident, you can reach some conclusions in what could have worked better. But that's just a minuscule part of critical analysis. Mostly it's about gaining a better understanding of what you watched and of the relationship between the work and the viewer/reader. That's just, well, interesting and fun and being aware of these things enriches every viewing experience as far as I'm concerned.

I really don't like the bad repution the term 'criticism' has amongst the people uneducated in critical analysis. The negative connotation of 'finding flaws' or 'indicating disapproval' really is more representative of how the term is used in everyday life, not how it is used in critical analysis where it is much closer to 'evaluate' or 'examine' than to 'shit on'. That's why every dictionary has two definitions for it. People just don't seem to be aware of the latter, or ignore it for the most part. Self-appointed 'critics' or 'reviewers' who only use it as the latter should not be taken very seriously since it is indicative of them not knowing what they're even supposed to do as a critic/reviewer.

As an addendum, critical opinions formed like that are still gonne be subjective. It doesn't change the nature of the experience of viewing art, which is always gonna be subjective. Being versed in critical analysis simply gives you the tools, or a language so to speak, that allows one to communicate more efficiently about that subjectivity than other people. Access to common terminology and common knowledge about certain theories, methods, techniques and patterns make communication a lot easier than just two people trying to talk about something without any frame of reference. But it does not change that they are talking about a subjective experience.

What people don't realize is that it doesn't matter. The whole subjectivity/objectivity debate is pointless. Most people who study anything related to literary theory are aware of that but somehow that hasn't trickled down yet.
AlcoholicideOct 17, 2018 10:58 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 17, 2018 10:47 PM

Aug 2013
The idea that "art is subjective" is usually just a dressed up way of saying "everyone has their own opinion", which is just spouting the obvious. It's lazy reasoning and does not add anything to discussion. Actually, it's the fastest way to kill it, especially because it shows the other person has nothing of interest to say on the matter. There are many elements that can be judged objectively.

"Personal taste", as you say, is not an argument, and therefore shouldn't be brought into a discussion. That doesn't mean they are forbidden to have their own personal views, but if it's something they can't put it into words outside of their own mind, it's not something that can be argued against by a third party, and not worth discussing. If someone think anything is bad or good, they should have well founded arguments as to why they think so. Otherwise they are just not worth listening to.

Also, popularity is a terrible way to ascertain quality nowadays. As you said, the average costumer may be satisfied, but I wouldn't say that's a good thing. I don't want to sound condescending, but with my present mindset, if I was to consume only what the "average" consumer does, like blockbuster movies, my head would probably implode. That's not to say they are in the wrong, but only consuming one kind of entertainment, like a lot of people does (specially gamers) sounds mind-numbing to me.

About (professional) critics, a lot of then just do it because it brings food home.
Satyr_iconOct 17, 2018 10:55 PM
Oct 17, 2018 11:56 PM
Jun 2015
Criticism as being good or bad by itself is meaningless because there are many forms of criticism that work in entirely different ways. Its ultimate purpose is to evaluate something and give reasons why people should approve or disapprove it. The idea that all types of criticism should be welcomed is a grave mistake because not all forms of criticism actually evaluate the quality of a particular product. Feminist criticism doesn't evaluate how good an anime is on a technical level, it really is how well it conforms to feminist propaganda. Japanese Conservative criticism of anime would be similar in that it evaluates how well the anime conforms to their propaganda.

All anime is technical artistry, entertainment and propaganda intertwined and can never be seen from an objective lens. Criticism is really meaningless when applied to art because ultimately its subjective. Ultimately all art criticism is about changing the audience views on a piece of art or for entertainment purposes. Its useful in the real world because it creates cultural shifts by changing cultural/moral attitudes toward the entertainment they consume. A great because by changing the attitudes of the consumer one can change future titles to conform to the propaganda that they want to be normative in the entertainment market. If criticism is ineffective another alternative is to take control the market by entering in the most influential companies and changing them from within. If one is successful in controlling a culture industry they control the thoughts and beliefs of the consumer. Its genius because the propaganda changes people without the viewers being smart enough to realize it.
15poundfishOct 18, 2018 12:01 AM
Oct 18, 2018 12:31 AM

Apr 2016
You use anime youtubers as a mean of criticism.
Oct 18, 2018 1:44 AM

Nov 2017
Bob-o-Dominador said:
before anything else, I apologize for any difficulty in understanding my text that you may have. I'm not sure how good my level of English is, and for this reason, sometimes, I make mistakes without realizing it.

At the moment, there is much discussion about criticism in the community of this site and various YouTube channels, claiming that many criticisms are invalid, made by political agendas and them separating critics into groups.

one of the examples of arguments that idea is:

Art is subjective, if you do not like something that does not make this thing bad.

I totally agree with this but if we are going to take seriously the art of criticizing, I think we have to ask other questions that I, and probably the majority of the community, do not know how to answer or respond with uncertainty about its validity.

What makes a show good or bad? A comedy might work for some and not for others, an action scene might satisfy some rather than others.

1. We can say that Show X is good in the opinion of people who like X, but then any show will be considered a good show.

this would be like saying that a useless bastard is good at being a useless bastard.

2. Which things are subjective and which are not?

Is everything in art subjective? if not what things are not?

some people claim that the fluidity of the art, the amount of filters, the synchrony between movements and sounds, variety of songs and jokes would be objective things,

but what if someone says they like static art, absent synchrony and little variety is part of that person's personal taste?

What would you answer?

3. If we conclude that art is at least half subjective, what does the critiscism of people and the teachings of artists mean to each other and to the readers?

let's suppose a situation:

I believe that we as consumers of the product, (I am neither a writer nor a producer, so I can not speak for them) should seek to understand the reasons why certain practices harm a product even if it is well recognized.

And the principle behind it is that I believe the feelings that certain actions in the movies and animations evoke are not only subjective.

if we give a close up on an object we are forced to see it in more detail. scenes with a lot of movement pass a dynamic impression to the bodies in motion, whether we like it or not, and this seems to me enough to create an objective point of comparison between the interaction and the execution. And the Works Who use this are usually betters ones.

And although I suspect that elaborate scenes of agreement can have positive effects, such as creating memories or surprise I start to question one more thing:

What is the point of an art critic to criticize an art work having the intention of changing the industry to make artistic works that please the average consumer if the average consumer is already satisfied?

(Again, I apologize if you find it difficult to read the text, I repeated many words, it's kind of embarrassing. If you have any questions or corrections to make regarding the text, you can tell me.I would like to delete the post if things do not go well, but I can not, if this turns into a big fire I'll pretend it never existed in the first place (P:) )

for people who do not want to read something so long, here's a summary:

I'm looking to know what you think about what justifies calling a show "good" or "bad"

How subjective is a work of art.

How people should deal with the situation where the critical opinion does not match the public's

and what is the use of criticism these days, especially when they do not translate into the financial success of an anime or film.
seeing the 3rd long post and its the longest damn.
I just give up reading halfway
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Oct 18, 2018 1:46 AM

Oct 2013
Criticism is most particularly used daily to describe a negative commentary about something/someone.

But on the bright side when it is used on the terms of evaluating or a written evaluation, it can mean--a serious examination/judgment.

Every criticism you receive doesn't have to be all about your flaws/faults. It can be use to seriously examine something we don't understand.

At the end of day, it varies on how we use/interpret/misinterpret the meaning of criticism. So in a way, take every criticisms you hear/read with a grain of salt and when you are delivering a criticism, be open and be mindful about it.
Oct 18, 2018 2:22 AM

Jul 2017
I mean, I'm not really critical when it comes to anime but criticism is basically for pointing out some mistakes with some applied rationality on it.
Oct 18, 2018 2:27 AM

Mar 2017
You know people who critize Hitler are all anti-fascist. That's totally subjective, except that everyone and their mom tends to agree with the critism. Same can be applied to any other critism.
Oct 18, 2018 4:09 AM

Apr 2008
@Bob-o-Dominador criticism is mostly useful for you. Your understanding of it and yourself. If you can figure out what is that you like the most about a series or what is that you don’t like about a series, you will get better at understanding what may appeal to you and once you know what you like what you don’t mind, etc. others’ reviews and opinions, if they can provide good arguments, will be more useful to you.

And:
meatbun_ said:
The idea that "art is subjective" is usually just a dressed up way of saying "everyone has their own opinion", which is just spouting the obvious. It's lazy reasoning and does not add anything to discussion. Actually, it's the fastest way to kill it, especially because it shows the other person has nothing of interest to say on the matter. There are many elements that can be judged objectively.

"Personal taste", as you say, is not an argument, and therefore shouldn't be brought into a discussion. That doesn't mean they are forbidden to have their own personal views, but if it's something they can't put it into words outside of their own mind, it's not something that can be argued against by a third party, and not worth discussing. If someone think anything is bad or good, they should have well founded arguments as to why they think so. Otherwise they are just not worth listening to.

Also, popularity is a terrible way to ascertain quality nowadays. As you said, the average costumer may be satisfied, but I wouldn't say that's a good thing. I don't want to sound condescending, but with my present mindset, if I was to consume only what the "average" consumer does, like blockbuster movies, my head would probably implode. That's not to say they are in the wrong, but only consuming one kind of entertainment, like a lot of people does (specially gamers) sounds mind-numbing to me.

About (professional) critics, a lot of then just do it because it brings food home.

Basically this. If you saw enough romances/mysteries/fantasy etc. you can compare and evaluate if the show is doing something different from other shows of its kind or if it just resorting to ideas that you would expect from this kind of show and even that can be evaluated if it inserts all this typical tricks in a way that seems good. For example: in shoujo stories the romance is often slow, you can see if there is a good reason for the romance to be slow or if it is slowed down artificially, stupid misunderstandings, etc. so that the main characters do not get together too quickly and before the end of the series or if one character in the story is just oblivious for no good reason, even though this character is not shown to be so stupid in other situations. In other words if the story when you put things together makes sense or if it just a bag of unconnected ideas*, often copied from other, better shows, that do not create a coherent whole? Compared to other shows of its kind dose it make something better or worse? Is the execution of the typical motives good? For example: the typical motive in shonens is that the main character is often going from zero to hero. You can judge if it is it executed well or if it is doing something fresh and revolutionary if you have seen plenty of shonens.

Other example: shoujo shows are often romances where the main heroine finds her prince charming, gets together with him and lives happily ever after with him. You can judge if this is executed well or if the story is doing something very different like Utena, a show that twist this motive cruelly and then you can judge if Utena is doing it well. In other words if the execution is good: if the story is leading to (building up to) its climax well, makes sense, etc. In Utena's case I can argue that the execution is good, because there are hints and clues early on.

And so on.

*Not necessarily bad, for example, in comedy.
Lain666Oct 18, 2018 4:20 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Oct 18, 2018 4:27 AM

Aug 2012
Anime is the only fandom that will neglect criticism with the idea that's everything is subjective. The medium is so oversaturated with generic tropes, yet people will still find ways to deflate critique towards it.
Oct 18, 2018 5:17 AM

Dec 2016
Wistuba-san said:
There is an essay from Oscar Wilde called "The Critic as Artist". You can find the pdf easily and is not very long.

Give it a try. It's kind of dense and not very friendly, but it can teach us a lot about criticism in general and give an answer to some of your questions.

I'll try to read this week, thank you. ;*

Stripes said:

but if everything is subjective as we do to determine what quality critiscism is or is not? I don't get it. :/

I understand that writing in the norm, not offending people and being impartial are useful, but this is not arguments against or in favor of work.

Reina_Orikasa said:

Honestly this is a pretty good example of how many things can be considered subjective. The critic's opinion against the opinion of the people that like the book. Sure it's a valid opinion, but at the same time, an opinion about how the inclusion of InfoDump is a good idea is also a valid opinion too. There isn't a 'correct' opinion in this imo. Heck, even with facts you can interpret it differently and form a valid opinion.

I literally wrote this thinking about a real case that happened.

in the book The Hunger Games the protagonist describes herself when looking in the mirror, which works because she did not see herself for a long time. this removes the sense that her aparence is something that would not normally attract her attention, making the "No mirrow talk" critcism be unjustified by it self. Wouldn't that means that things can always workes if in the rigth situations ? And them wouldn't exist some way to determine when it really is or isn't a rigth situation ?

What if the opinion of the critic that the scene is unrealistic and withdraws the sensation of immersion is justified but the public continually dennies it while no one seems to find an justification for it. The opinion of the critic is still important in this cenario?

15poundfish said:
Criticism as being good or bad by itself is meaningless because there are many forms of criticism that work in entirely different ways. Its ultimate purpose is to evaluate something and give reasons why people should approve or disapprove it. The idea that all types of criticism should be welcomed is a grave mistake because not all forms of criticism actually evaluate the quality of a particular product. Feminist criticism doesn't evaluate how good an anime is on a technical level, it really is how well it conforms to feminist propaganda. Japanese Conservative criticism of anime would be similar in that it evaluates how well the anime conforms to their propaganda.

All anime is technical artistry, entertainment and propaganda intertwined and can never be seen from an objective lens. Criticism is really meaningless when applied to art because ultimately its subjective. Ultimately all art criticism is about changing the audience views on a piece of art or for entertainment purposes. Its useful in the real world because it creates cultural shifts by changing cultural/moral attitudes toward the entertainment they consume. A great because by changing the attitudes of the consumer one can change future titles to conform to the propaganda that they want to be normative in the entertainment market. If criticism is ineffective another alternative is to take control the market by entering in the most influential companies and changing them from within. If one is successful in controlling a culture industry they control the thoughts and beliefs of the consumer. Its genius because the propaganda changes people without the viewers being smart enough to realize it.

I kind of agree with this, even if it isn't totally true I got that who good it is depends on the pergens listening, since they already have it own conceptions of what should be praised and recommendated. I also think that people in general should actually be more cautiously them, don't you think that AniTubers are being an alienating thing ?
N04L1TYOct 18, 2018 8:59 AM
heh.
Oct 18, 2018 8:57 AM

Dec 2016
Lain666 said:
@Bob-o-Dominador criticism is mostly useful for you. Your understanding of it and yourself. If you can figure out what is that you like the most about a series or what is that you don’t like about a series, you will get better at understanding what may appeal to you and once you know what you like what you don’t mind, etc. others’ reviews and opinions, if they can provide good arguments, will be more useful to you.
And:
meatbun_ said:

Basically this. If you saw enough romances/mysteries/fantasy etc. you can compare and evaluate if the show is doing something different from other shows of its kind or if it just resorting to ideas that you would expect from this kind of show and even that can be evaluated if it inserts all this typical tricks in a way that seems good. For example: in shoujo stories the romance is often slow, you can see if there is a good reason for the romance to be slow or if it is slowed down artificially, stupid misunderstandings, etc. so that the main characters do not get together too quickly and before the end of the series or if one character in the story is just oblivious for no good reason, even though this character is not shown to be so stupid in other situations. In other words if the story when you put things together makes sense or if it just a bag of unconnected ideas*, often copied from other, better shows, that do not create a coherent whole? Compared to other shows of its kind dose it make something better or worse? Is the execution of the typical motives good? For example: the typical motive in shonens is that the main character is often going from zero to hero. You can judge if it is it executed well or if it is doing something fresh and revolutionary if you have seen plenty of shonens.

Other example: shoujo shows are often romances where the main heroine finds her prince charming, gets together with him and lives happily ever after with him. You can judge if this is executed well or if the story is doing something very different like Utena, a show that twist this motive cruelly and then you can judge if Utena is doing it well. In other words if the execution is good: if the story is leading to (building up to) its climax well, makes sense, etc. In Utena's case I can argue that the execution is good, because there are hints and clues early on.

And so on.

*Not necessarily bad, for example, in comedy.

zieek said:
I separate anime in to interesting (thought provoking) and entertaining (relax and enjoy). For that reason the 1st type can get a score as high as a 9/10 at times, while the 2nd type can only hope to ever escape from the stigma that is a 5/10 rating, like "Boku no hero academia". On the other hand a good example of a failure of an ineteresting series is "Steins;Gate" (personal opinion on both of those series people don't take offence)

My personal opinion is objective criticism
can only be genuine if the one doing it is a group of people (the majority) or a person that was part of the staff and knows the inside and out of the product when comparing it to others of the same or different studio.

Subjective criticism is more complicated. So I will use myself as an example.

1.Art for instance I liked Zetsuen no Tempest's art from studio Bones more than the art of Jyu-Oh-Sei from the same studio.

a) So art is subjective, it's quality is as well. An example would be D.Gray-man, I liked the original and still prefer it over it's sequal. However it is also true that the quality of D.Gray-man Hollow is better even if only slightly and takes away from the overall feel of the anime. Another example would be Terraformars, it's first season's character design was better but the 2nd season's character design was not, while the quality of animation was slightly better.

2.Plot I like violence, controversy, and mature content, so depending on a person's
criteria for what makes a good plot, it can vary greatly.

3.Backstory it is part of the plot, but I look forward to it more so than the actual plot. Critically speaking it's purpose is to give an explanation and help the plot's development. Unfortunately at times it proves to be more interesting than the plot itself. "Oh the irony".
Pullman said:

As an addendum, critical opinions formed like that are still gonne be subjective. It doesn't change the nature of the experience of viewing art, which is always gonna be subjective. Being versed in critical analysis simply gives you the tools, or a language so to speak, that allows one to communicate more efficiently about that subjectivity than other people. Access to common terminology and common knowledge about certain theories, methods, techniques and patterns make communication a lot easier than just two people trying to talk about something without any frame of reference. But it does not change that they are talking about a subjective experience.

What people don't realize is that it doesn't matter. The whole subjectivity/objectivity debate is pointless. Most people who study anything related to literary theory are aware of that but somehow that hasn't trickled down yet.

These are good responses, I like then and can't see reason to be against it. In short we could say that critiscism works from the attribution of values ​​to subjective things to achieve a goal. Or at least that's what I understood.

Many thanks to everyone who has answered so far.
heh.
Oct 18, 2018 9:01 AM

Feb 2017
I'll just leave this here as I believe it will be educational; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism

Oct 18, 2018 9:19 AM

Dec 2015
I definitely wouldn't argue that everything in art is subjective. When it comes to fiction, there should be certain elements we actively criticize, because it is an outright toxic display of how awful society can be. Anime in particular is filled with rampant over-sexualization, and I believe if we are to be true critics, we should call it out when we see it. Many of the common tropes in anime are flat-out objectively wrong, and we shouldn't shy away from pointing those facts.
Oct 18, 2018 9:20 AM

Mar 2017
KatsutoSaki said:
J_LEE_C said:

I don't see why people need to include a tl;dr. If you don't want to or are too lazy to read long posts, then don't bother replying/posting at all.

Are you perhaps saying that they should leave this sweet opportunity to get +1 post count?
Oct 18, 2018 9:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
KatsutoSaki said:
J_LEE_C said:

I like putting my tl;dr in the middle of my posts sometimes, and not prefacing it with a tl;dr, just to fuck with people

Oct 18, 2018 9:25 AM

Feb 2018
I would say there isn't any objectivity when it comes to entertainment.
I mean if you enjoy looking at a still image of a decapitated duck for 20 min i couldn't really say it's objectively bad cuz it comes down to your own taste.
Oct 18, 2018 10:55 AM

Aug 2016
newazurill said:
Art is not completely subjective.

It's true that there are different perspective and niches in the anime community but there are always better ways to cater to each niche and taste.

If someone likes action then a show with amazing fighting animation and battles that flow nicely would be objectively better than an action anime with bad animation quality and battles with continuous pauses or filled with still images. And if someone likes romance then an anime where the romance feels realistic would be objectively better than one where it feels forced.

Criticizing an anime is realizing which niche the anime is targeting and how well it caters to their tastes. And if the anime has no target audience then that's a problem on its own.

To be honest I feel like the anime community in specific is too immature or sensitive to recognize criticism and would rather label every anime as objectively equal regardless of effort put into it or how talented a writer could be.

I totally agree with this, however I'm just against the usage of a number system to score a work at the end of the day. There are elements of storycraft that are rules and not based on subjectivity but are the basic structure and elements of how to convey a good story. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how people use numeric systems on how to score those qualities without creating some insane algorithm for every genre, designing principle, and narrative structure.

And thats only when it comes to writing. Dissecting the visuals in terms of readable action sequences, storyboarding, backgrounds that are both tonally consistent to the narrative as well as technically well integrated so the characters look like they share the same space on screen etc.

I stated earlier that I just enjoy posing my criticism in the form of an argument where the thesis is whether or not someone should spend their time on a work rather than tie it to some arbitrary metric. The 10 scale/5 star system just kills me in that regard since I have no idea the criteris for demerits enough to differentiate a 6.6 and a 6.7. If someone has a rigid basis for their criteria thats cool but like you said, its all about approaching each work individually and dissecting the target audience, base appeal of its premise, and stating what elements did or didn't enhance an anime based on those aspects.
Oct 18, 2018 11:30 AM

Feb 2010
newazurill said:
Art is not completely subjective.

It's true that there are different perspective and niches in the anime community but there are always better ways to cater to each niche and taste.

What's better is gonna be subjective tho.

If someone likes action then a show with amazing fighting animation and battles that flow nicely would be objectively better than an action anime with bad animation quality and battles with continuous pauses or filled with still images. And if someone likes romance then an anime where the romance feels realistic would be objectively better than one where it feels forced.

1. You had to use the word 'feels' forced but still think you're talking about something objective? Really?
2. Animation quality might be objective to some degree (But even then many people can't handle something like Ping Pong which has amazing animation, or shit on that Naruto scene with Pain which was very well animated. Even in animation you can care about different things. Framerate. Artstyle. Concistency. Creativity. Choreography. Realism. Exaggerations. Timing. Visual comedy. etc...) but you can't reduce a show to one thing. I like action, but I'm not always gonna like action shows with better animation more than others. I still need to be invested, care about the characters, don't find the plot to be complete garbage etc...

Your black and white view of reducing anime to one element for the sake of that argument doesn't really reflect reality and how people actually experience and judge shows. Art is more than just the sum of its parts, so even if you could (and I'm not saying you can) objectively analyse individual elements like animation quality without any traces of subjectivity, you can't just transpose those judgments onto the whole show. Even if there were objective elements, they are in constant interaction with subjective elements and that combines to make the general opinion on the show subjective.

Criticizing an anime is realizing which niche the anime is targeting and how well it caters to their tastes. And if the anime has no target audience then that's a problem on its own.

That's also a pretty narrow perspective. There's very many different ways of criticizing something. Go and do some research about criticism. People will laugh if you try to tell them there's only one right way of criticizing, especially if you insist it has to only revolve around business terms like target audience and pandering to said audience.

You can analyze and criticize an anime by taking the author's biography into account, you can do it from a structuralist perspective and just focus on the text, you can do it in the context of the time period the work was originally released or you can do it in a modern context, you can do it from a feminist or gender studies perspective, you can do it from a holistic perspective, you can do it from a genre-specific perspective etc....

Criticism doesn't mean much more than evaluating a work. There's no normative approach or method of evaluating a work implied in the term. That will vary depending on who criticizes what and why and in which context.

To be honest I feel like the anime community in specific is too immature or sensitive to recognize criticism and would rather label every anime as objectively equal regardless of effort put into it or how talented a writer could be.

While I agree that most people in this community are too sensitive or disinterested in criticism, it doesn't help that people like you always make the false and unnecessary connection to objectivity when talking about the topic. That makes people justifiably defensive because it usually comes with a 'and only I truly know what's objective and if you disagree with me, you're simply wrong, because I'm objective. HAH!' kind of attitude. There's always something normative behind those claims. People objectivizing what they think criticism should be like, or how an anime should be like.
No, that just isn't objective and sidetracking into this useless subjectivity vs objectivity debate just wastes everyone's time. The point is, it doesn't need to be objective. trying to argue it is, brings more problems than it solves.

Everyone who studies critical analysis or literary theory knows that it is irrelevant, it's an outdated debate. We don't need objectivity to analyse, criticise, argue and talk about art. And subjectivity isn't something that prevents these things either. It's also not black and white, it's more like a scale. Things can be more or less subjective while still not being objective.

And most importantly, there is inter-subjectivity. When there's something subjective, but enough people agree on it for it to work as a common ground, a guideline for arguments or discussions. It can still be reflected upon and isn't immune to criticism or change because it's not objectively true, but for the most part it fulfils its purpose of being inter-subjective. Most of the human sciences are satisfied with that, it is functionally close enough to objectivity to allow arguments and discussions beyond 'muh opinion!!!' 'nah, muh opinion!!!' but at the same escapes the trouble of having to hold up it's 'objectivity' in arguments, since that can't really be done.

It doesn't matter if every anime is 'objectively equal'. What matters is how you analyse it, your argumentation, the insights that can be gained by your criticism, the overall logical consistency of your train of thought etc... One argument can be better than the other. One analysis can be more insightful or interesting than another. One criticism can be fairer or more in-depth than another. Who cares whether you can say 'I'm objectively more right' or 'my argument is better or more in-depth or more insightful etc.'

It's kinda petty to insist on the former. Can you only be satisfied if people treat your words, your analysis, your criticism as as objective as gravity?
AlcoholicideOct 18, 2018 11:34 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 18, 2018 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
yes art is subjective, but for arts like anime there can be financially successful cliches/tropes/formulas though like cute character designs, school settings (although its a japanese mainly thing), shonen shows, etc so this are examples of tried and tested and profitable things in anime

as for the importance of criticisms especially expert criticism then its not much like for example Venom has gotten poor ratings from expert critics but the audience ratings are so high and the profit for it is so good, so do not care much about experts criticism

but a good criticism is constructive criticism like both citing the good and bad things about a show while suggesting improvements for future related show

Oct 18, 2018 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
1. What

2. I would answer "it ain't that deep bro" and art is objective

3. I legit can't be bothered to answer this
Oct 18, 2018 12:02 PM

Oct 2018
Rigtho good sir, let's start.

First, any review or criticism is based from the person's point of view and opinion. There will never be a perfect show out there cause every living human being has diferent standards of good and bad, simplistic or complex. Many can say: for exemple, LOTGH is the best anime ever done, but there are some who will think otherwise and call it overated. There are people who rated School Days 9 or 10 and not even by sarcasm, but the show itself is historically bad in rating. It all comes down to what the person see as good and bad, there will never be an concrete and absolute answer to this.

I trully believe art is something that should not be the main focus of criticism, be old or beautiful. However, animation is something that if interfers with what is being shown to us, becoming lackluster that is, then it might affect score wise, but still is very situational and
should not be taken seriously. However i do enjoy the cinematic take an anime can bring, like, camera work, ost, sound effects, if executed properly, i will for sure increase the score.

If anyone like an anime that is an underdog, or dislike an series that is well praised, all we have to do is respect them for their choice. This kinda answers the first question. The whole "my taste is better then yours", is complete bullshit and immature. At the end of the day, one might like something the other hate to the ground, but whats the deal? You have to hate the person for this? Please.
What we should take in consideration is the education of one. If the person simply acts agressive by nature, just let him be on his habitat, you don't belong there, at least is what i think.

People tend to criticize nowadays by the minimal of details. Be slow start, be cliches, be common tropes of anime, be one episode or one thing not adapted properly. Nowadays, most of what i see is the dissemination of hate. Most of the forum discussions are like this: "WHY YOU LIKE X ANIME?" "X CHARACTER IS SO ANOYING" "WORST ANIME OF THE YEAR".
Of course, it does not apply to everyone, but its the common standard as of today unfortunatelly. It becomes even worse, if given anime is a financial success, proceding to hate it for the sake of: being better than YOUR favorite anime, most than anything.

Weil this is my take on the answers.
BillthescytheOct 18, 2018 2:15 PM
Oct 18, 2018 12:29 PM

Aug 2016
Hatred said:
1. What

Glad you announced your presence just so you could tell everyone you aren't going to participate in the discussion. I wouldn't have said anything but I've seen you do this to people on other threads too and its just so annoying to read. Like why bother putting your arrogance on display like that? You legit can't be bothered to answer the question but you legit CAN be bothered to tell everyone you don't care. So cool
Oct 18, 2018 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
Somali_Strawhat said:
Hatred said:
1. What

Glad you announced your presence just so you could tell everyone you aren't going to participate in the discussion. I wouldn't have said anything but I've seen you do this to people on other threads too and its just so annoying to read. Like why bother putting your arrogance on display like that? You legit can't be bothered to answer the question but you legit CAN be bothered to tell everyone you don't care. So cool

i legit only read the first sentence
good riddance
Oct 18, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2018
There is an TL:DR on the bottom, Hatred.
Oct 18, 2018 1:39 PM
Jun 2015
Bob-o-Dominador said:

I kind of agree with this, even if it isn't totally true I got that who good it is depends on the pergens listening, since they already have it own conceptions of what should be praised and recommendated. I also think that people in general should actually be more cautiously them, don't you think that AniTubers are being an alienating thing ?

Anime Youtubers are often trying to make money off their reviews or catered to a specific niche that is receptive to their views. Criticism when it pertains to anime is about persuading the audience to change their view on it as a whole or elements that are being criticized. Objective criticism can only be used in subjects that can predict results accurately or with almost certainty. Anime criticism is build on arbitrary standards that only make sense if you believe in the axioms and moral/cultural presuppositions used for criticism. There is nothing that objectively says something is good or bad because it is always relative. Even a holistic approach where you try to grade parts of an anime on a point scale is useless because people will be more persuaded by some parts but not other parts. I can say an anime has a pretty mediocre story but the audio presentation makes up for it making it a good anime. For someone that sees audio as important to enjoyment they will be more receptive to anime that has a good sound track and audio presentation than someone sees story as important. Even for people that see story as important they are still affected by all the other parts that makes them enjoy it.

More topics from this board

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - May 3

45 by ProGoddess »»
16 seconds ago

» When is an anime to long or to short for you?

Spunkert - 4 minutes ago

0 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - May 3

34 by TransferUser »»
9 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

33 by _ATG_ »»
43 minutes ago

» Anime you wished could be forgotten

ST63LTH - Yesterday

13 by Daviljoe193 »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.