3It was OK
4.3%
2Disliked it
4.3%
1Hated it
5.9%
Average 4.5
439 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 10, 2018 5:59 AM

Aug 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my, that was beautiful as always! <3 It's officially my favourite anime now! Can't wait to see the next season. Does anyone know when exactly in 2019 it's gonna be?!
Oct 11, 2018 9:09 PM

Aug 2010
Wei Ying is so hot as Yiling Laozu <33 Also the BGM was so epic too

Love the promotional art for the next season, can't wait!!

Oct 13, 2018 4:44 AM
Nov 2016
I absolutely loved it. This is a masterpiece
Oct 13, 2018 5:41 AM

Feb 2018
One of the best 3 this season and the best episode so far, if only this was more popular :/ (chinese adaptations need love too)
Oct 13, 2018 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
Wow , what an amazing season it was.
Love how badass Wei Wuxian was/is.
But still i want to know why Jiang Cheng killed him , did i really missed or forget it if they mentioned in first 2 episodes.
If not i hope they will reveal in S2.
BRAWLERS
Oct 13, 2018 6:39 AM
Aug 2015
OMG!!! I love this anime so much. At first I didn't expect much except for the visuals since it's the same studio/staff that did Quan Zhi Gao Shou. And they were absolutely stunning!!

But wow, I was impressed by everything! The story is so captivating, the characters are funny, moving, badass... I loved Wei Ying, Lan Zhan and Jiang Cheng, but also Madame Yu, Jiang Fengmian, the leader of Nie clan... Wen Ning... And action scenes were breathtaking!!

I loved it even more than Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (although I'm a great fan of this series). Mo Dao Zu Shi became one of my favorite animes, I can't wait for season 2!
Oct 13, 2018 7:16 AM
Dec 2015
Im dying for the next season since the plot and characters is greaaaaat AND ALSO WEI WUXIAAN AND LAN WANJI GONNA MISS YAAA but i didnt expect wei wuxian become hot as yiling patriarch 😂. This is MY ONE OF MY FAV
Its torture to wait again next year like what happened to me last yr when gdc got adaptation AND I GOT HYPED i cri i found out mdzs through manhwa but at first i didnt understand at all now it make sense since this is my first time in this kind of genre (once you know it the story makes sense)

I cri at the end when wei wuxian smiles 😢 cuz of the past and also at the ending credits its Nie HUAISANG!!!!
Ann_TamarinOct 15, 2018 9:26 AM
Oct 13, 2018 12:03 PM

Aug 2016
This finale was so... soo... fuuuck... so freaking awesome :DDD
Wei Ying, the total badass BOSS >D
Then again that nice animation, the music ;__; and .. aah.. that scene with Lan Zhan as he want to bring Wei Ying back to Gusu, about to cry and then turns away in slow motion T^T

I'm a little bit sad again about Wen Chao's death. Liked it more in the novel, it was more fierce.
But I liked his death version in the anime too :3

Does anyone know when/if the OST will be released? I really need it D:
And totally hyped for 2019 and S2 \ (^_____^) /
Oct 13, 2018 5:17 PM

Oct 2015
We finally in the present time and I must say Wei Ying sure caused one big destruction. His demon cultivating was godly and he showed no mercy to the Wens, which I'm glad he didn't.

I loved this anime and its story telling especially the animation. To be precise this is the first Chinese anime that I've ever given a rating above 8 and the fourth anime overall I've given a masterpiece value.

This is the best anime of 2018 hands down and the best animation of all time. Overall the God of anime.

Too bad people didn't watch this anime because of stupid reasons like it's Chinese or the shonen Ai tag. I'm glad I did and it was the wisest decision I've ever made and I loved it every week, too bad it ended at 15 eps.

I will definitely see you in 2019 and will support the comic.

10/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 13, 2018 6:20 PM

Apr 2016
I hope in season 2 we see more his life in the present.
The past is nice and I want to know how it ends but the present is more important
Oct 13, 2018 6:47 PM
Aug 2011
What an experience this was.

The only thing that threw me off was how Wei Wuxian and Mo Xuanyu look pretty much the same in this. You'd think that someone would have told him he looks REALLY familiar.

Edit: I've just finished my rewatch. I thoroughly enjoyed this again and was able to pick up on lots of little details that if you've read the source they really stand out. (Like when WWX was waiting for Jiang Cheng at the foot of the mountain and you see his haggard face/voice.... yeah...)

Overall the source handled some moments better (Wen Chao's torture) there was some better things here (Jiang clan slaughter felt sadder to me).
Though WWX and Mo Xuanyu looking the same except for their hair still throws me off because they aren't supposed to look the same lol.
The wait for S2 is so hard.
standMay 27, 2019 1:40 PM
Oct 14, 2018 12:35 AM

May 2018
sad that they took out the lovey scenes from the novel this season :( wasn't too hopeful in general tho lol. also damn! wei ying!!! looking good!! that dramatic ass reveal and long hair, i can't get enough. I don't know how im gonna wait for 2019 im praying that it will be winter/spring 2019 (probably)

so excited for the next season!! its gonna be so good i encourage everyone to read the novel, Exiledrebel scantalations does an amazing job of translating so while you're waiting there are currently 72 chapters to read (binge read and lose sleep over) that have actual Lan Zhan and Wei Ying like moments that they cant show in the anime (drunk lan zhan anyone else???) it also helps a lot with understanding everything better and the anime helps you visualize the novel better so it works both ways.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Oct 14, 2018 12:55 AM
Dec 2014
Any idea if it'll be the same studio again for S2? If it is, it'll have to air in the first half of 2019 as I think the studio is doing 全职高手 in the latter half...? Correct me if I'm wrong though!
Oct 14, 2018 6:42 AM

Apr 2015
Tsubakiaka said:

so excited for the next season!! its gonna be so good i encourage everyone to read the novel, Exiledrebel scantalations does an amazing job of translating so while you're waiting there are currently 72 chapters to read (binge read and lose sleep over) that have actual Lan Zhan and Wei Ying like moments that they cant show in the anime (drunk lan zhan anyone else???) it also helps a lot with understanding everything better and the anime helps you visualize the novel better so it works both ways.

Thank you for the info, I think I'll read the novel while I wait for the second season!
"When I was a kid I would often think about the future. At that time I believed everything would naturally fall into place. But it just didn't happen."
Oct 14, 2018 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
Aww, I was looking forward to their first day at Cloud Recesses. Why did it have to end there? Can't wait for the second season. Time to re-read the novel ^^

Also this:

I'm dying. Lan XiChen is the best at reading his little brother's emotions :D
Oct 14, 2018 6:26 PM

May 2018
relena4 said:
Tsubakiaka said:

Thank you for the info, I think I'll read the novel while I wait for the second season!

sure thing!!! ive re-read chapters because its so well written

Oct 15, 2018 10:57 AM

Apr 2009
Tsubakiaka said:
sad that they took out the lovey scenes from the novel this season :( wasn't too hopeful in general tho lol. also damn! wei ying!!! looking good!! that dramatic ass reveal and long hair, i can't get enough. I don't know how im gonna wait for 2019 im praying that it will be winter/spring 2019 (probably)

i hope we get some drunk from the anime maybe not as ecliptic but it could still happen.
Oct 15, 2018 10:57 AM

Apr 2009
Tsubakiaka said:

i hope we get some drunk from the anime maybe not as ecliptic but it could still happen.
Oct 15, 2018 3:39 PM

Nov 2007
That was amazing!
I cannot wait for 2019 and the second season. It is really good story and since I am not BL fan to begin with, I am pretty much alright with the cuts of the lovely dovely scenes. Not to mention that I will be able to recommend the anime to some slightly more sensitive people 👍
Oct 15, 2018 5:17 PM

May 2018
AForgottenSoul said:
Tsubakiaka said:

drunk lan zhan is best lan zhan

Oct 17, 2018 8:49 PM
Jul 2012
Finished this in one sitting. Can't wait for the next season. TT^TT In the mean time, I'll make do with the manhua and novel. Heard there's a live action too. So excited!!
Oct 18, 2018 2:19 PM

Apr 2009
SawaxRan123 said:
Finished this in one sitting. Can't wait for the next season. TT^TT In the mean time, I'll make do with the manhua and novel. Heard there's a live action too. So excited!!

Live action coming next year i just hope no annoying female in between them.
Oct 19, 2018 7:18 PM

Aug 2010
SawaxRan123 said:

There's an audio drama too :3
Oct 21, 2018 7:07 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Picked it up yesterday and did not expect myself to marathon it and finish the series. It was that good. I was really surprised to see this ranked 50 (atm), but also not skeptical. After 3 episodes and being unable to stop myself from watching the next, I was sure that it deserves the high rating it has. Well, maybe not entirely deserving considering there are show/movies that could be in the top 50s, but it's good publicity for this series to be highly ranked, given the low number of members who have completed this. At any rate, this series is more than solid so far. It's got rather good world-building, enticing story line, and most of all, a likable main cast who're well developed. The drama and emotions of the characters are also executed well.

I've fallen in love with this series, and will definitely check out the novel as well as the manhua.
Oct 23, 2018 12:53 PM

May 2011
I just accidentally stumbled up on some chinese art on pinterest and kept seeing chinese themed fanart with the same characters again and again. So I did a reverse image search and what a gem I've found!!!! The anime was simply AWESOME!!!!! Such beautiful landscapes, a very solid story line, very nice traditional chinese background music and the most charming point of this series, characters with long haired male in traditional chinese outfits!!

Really the show is beautiful in every aspect and I'm very very impatiently waiting for July 2019 now to see what happens next in the story. We need more stories like this!! Please animators!

Lastly I want to say an extremely BIG thank you to Guodongsubs for subbing this fantastic series!! Looking forward to your releases of the second part of this series next year :))

Oct 23, 2018 6:37 PM
May 2017
asckj1 said:
I just accidentally stumbled up on some chinese art on pinterest and kept seeing chinese themed fanart with the same characters again and again. So I did a reverse image search and what a gem I've found!!!! The anime was simply AWESOME!!!!! Such beautiful landscapes, a very solid story line, very nice traditional chinese background music and the most charming point of this series, characters with long haired male in traditional chinese outfits!!

Really the show is beautiful in every aspect and I'm very very impatiently waiting for July 2019 now to see what happens next in the story. We need more stories like this!! Please animators!

Lastly I want to say an extremely BIG thank you to Guodongsubs for subbing this fantastic series!! Looking forward to your releases of the second part of this series next year :))

agree! Wangji try so hard to find his love (keep searching for 4 ep)! But when Wangji finally find him....he had fall into darkness. (in EP 15 I feel Wei wuxian looks like two different people before and after his resurrection)
Oct 27, 2018 9:41 PM

May 2018
hey uh..anyone else crying that we have to wait till july????? i was positive it'd be winter 2019 *sigh* rewatching and rereading i guess for the next 9 months will have to suffice

Oct 28, 2018 6:50 PM

Nov 2015
I'm going to have to binge-rewatch it right before season 2 comes out. I also want to read the manhua but I hate watching things I've already read and I don't think I can restrain myself to stop reading where the anime stopped dfjhsdjfkdsfkj
sshioOct 30, 2018 2:19 PM
Nov 10, 2018 6:36 PM

Dec 2012
k-koa said:
I'm going to have to binge-rewatch it right before season 2 comes out. I also want to read the manhua but I hate watching things I've already read and I don't think I can restrain myself to stop reading where the anime stopped dfjhsdjfkdsfkj
that’s what I’m going to do too lol gotta refresh the memory maybe like at the end of June before the second season starts. I was reading it and it felt like the same as the anime so I stopped. Wish I knew which chapters had the lovey dovey scenes. Plus I don’t want to go past the anime.
Nov 19, 2018 3:15 AM
May 2009
salman7 said:
Wow , what an amazing season it was.
Love how badass Wei Wuxian was/is.
But still i want to know why Jiang Cheng killed him , did i really missed or forget it if they mentioned in first 2 episodes.
If not i hope they will reveal in S2.

He blames him for the night his clan was nearly wiped out. Also probably deep down he has some other trauma related issues to how his father treats wei better than him.

But man this final episode, was great, The scene with the swords reminds me of the Wuxia movie of Wind and Cloud.

Nov 19, 2018 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
asckj1 said:

Most would misunderstand. Master Lan has trouble getting his feelings across and Wei Ying just can't read subtle gestures.
Lan Jhan was rather weak-willed and unconvincing back in the day. Unlike Jiang Cheng. It's good to see him growing a stronger spine in the current timeline.

Nov 19, 2018 10:42 PM

May 2011
chi4ko said:

Most would misunderstand. Master Lan has trouble getting his feelings across and Wei Ying just can't read subtle gestures.
Lan Jhan was rather weak-willed and unconvincing back in the day. Unlike Jiang Cheng. It's good to see him growing a stronger spine in the current timeline.

Mhm. I think Lan Zhan just didn't speak enough for Wei Ying to understand what his intentions were. And i think Wei Ying was too preoccupied with taking his revenge for destroying the YunmengJiang sect and his guardians, to be able to grasp why Lan Zhan wanted him to go with him. Also ofcourse Wei Ying would misunderstand Lan Zhan as he was too awkward in expressing his feelings towards Wei Ying and would always push him away.

By the way, I feel that Lan Zhan had always been attracted to Wei Ying since the first time they met in Cloud Recesses (opposites attract :3) and he had fallen in love with him during the one month that Wei Ying was punished to write the GusuLan Sect rules and Lan Zhan kept an eye on him for that whole time. And by the time they defeated the monster Tortoise his heart had been completely stolen by Wei Ying.
Wei Ying too had always been attracted to Lan Zhan and somehow couldn't let him be even once whenever he was Lan Zhan. But his feeling only finally surfaced when he was reborn because his head was clear now of the revenge he seeked from the people who wronged him and people dear to him.
Nov 21, 2018 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
asckj1 said:
By the way, I feel that Lan Zhan had always been attracted to Wei Ying since the first time they met in Cloud Recesses (opposites attract :3) and he had fallen in love with him during the one month that Wei Ying was punished to write the GusuLan Sect rules and Lan Zhan kept an eye on him for that whole time. And by the time they defeated the monster Tortoise his heart had been completely stolen by Wei Ying.

I think so. I'm sure he had never met anybody like that before. It's just impossible to know what he's thinking based on his facial expressions. What a poker face.
Nov 21, 2018 7:22 PM
Sep 2018
chi4ko said:
asckj1 said:

I think so. I'm sure he had never met anybody like that before. It's just impossible to know what he's thinking based on his facial expressions. What a poker face.

Right only Lan XiChen can read Lan WangJi's expressions and tells what he thinks, it's just amazing how he understands his bro perfectly.
Nov 22, 2018 6:49 AM

May 2011
Xiao_XingChen said:

Right only Lan XiChen can read Lan WangJi's expressions and tells what he thinks, it's just amazing how he understands his bro perfectly.

Ooh yeah haha. He's a poker face but is too adorable because he's that way. On that note this remins me of another fanart from pinterest

Notice the subtle difference?

Hahaha he's too adorable!! ❤❤❤
asckj1Nov 22, 2018 6:55 AM
Nov 23, 2018 6:02 AM
Sep 2018
asckj1 said:
Xiao_XingChen said:

Ooh yeah haha. He's a poker face but is too adorable because he's that way. On that note this remins me of another fanart from pinterest

Notice the subtle difference?

Hahaha he's too adorable!! ❤❤❤

That's cute, thanks for the share.
Lan WangJi is such a lovable character. :3
Nov 24, 2018 7:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I think that in these last two episodes they could have taken out a lot more.
They have addressed the issue of the war very quickly! 4 or 5 episodes would have been the most appropriate to explain a little more detailed these first measures and even make some more epic!

Well, the last episode Wuxian appears how the man in the dark that can control the deaths with the malefic energy and how he took revenge! kekeke
Wuxian personality changed a lot of, he is possessed by the revenge!!!

In general was a great series, nice music, great draw and cool plot....9/10 for me!!!! and waiting for the second season in 2019!!!! kekeke
Nov 25, 2018 6:01 PM

Jan 2013
Ranxomare said:
I think that in these last two episodes they could have taken out a lot more.
They have addressed the issue of the war very quickly! 4 or 5 episodes would have been the most appropriate to explain a little more detailed these first measures and even make some more epic!

The war flashback isn't over yet, they'll probably include more in S2.

Ranxomare said:
he is possessed by the revenge!!!

He has come to the dark side... XD
Nov 27, 2018 8:35 PM
May 2016
Ngl I'm a teeny bit happy that the flashback finally ended X_X
Nov 28, 2018 2:54 PM

Sep 2013
This is NOT anime. You people need to educate yourselves and learn the term "donghua" which is chinese equivalent of anime.

Anyways, I dont see why this donghua is rated so high (above 8/10). Not a bad show but certainly not 8/10 either. The final massacre of Wen's was nice to look at, but the show left too many plotholes. AND Wei Wuxian was way too similar to the guy who he posessed. I couldnt tell any difference between young Wei and the kid who got posessed.
overall 7/10 mainly for nice visuals, because plot didn't make as much sense as it could.
Nov 28, 2018 6:08 PM

May 2018
NeutroNShivA said:
This is NOT anime. You people need to educate yourselves and learn the term "donghua" which is chinese equivalent of anime.

Anyways, I dont see why this donghua is rated so high (above 8/10). Not a bad show but certainly not 8/10 either. The final massacre of Wen's was nice to look at, but the show left too many plotholes. AND Wei Wuxian was way too similar to the guy who he posessed. I couldnt tell any difference between young Wei and the kid who got posessed.
overall 7/10 mainly for nice visuals, because plot didn't make as much sense as it could.

...i think we all know that it's not an anime but I mean...we are on MyAnimeList, ther eis no subcategory for donghua on MAL either.

I think you should try reading the novel, goes into much much more detail- the show is targeted to people who have read it as well. so far i don't really see any plot holes that won't clear up like in the book. I mean its a very non-linear timeline so it may seem incomplete

Dec 18, 2018 8:22 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
HOLLLLLLLLLLYYY SHITTTTTTTTT WEI WAS BADASS AND EPIC AS HELL !!!!! NOW THIS IS A MASTERPIECE FOR AGES TO COME !!!!! ∞/10
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 23, 2018 3:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great finale episode to end the 1st Season of the franchise!
Thankfully, the show kept getting better by the episode so my early thoughts of dropping the show steadily varnished. But seriously, there was way too much backstory! Like I get it’s necesary and it’ll be a long series, but it felt oddly dragged on at times and a bit hasty at others.

Wei Wuxian sure carried along the momentum from last episode and absolutely obliterated Wen Chao and his loyal servant. It really was horrifying to watch it but oddly pleasing nonetheless, considering all the buildup of majority of the Season to that point! Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian’s encounter mid-way was a little disheartening to see but I’m glad they kept away much of the Shonen-Ai moments away.

Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian then swept along all of the Wen Clan and it was nice to see these two along with Jiang Yanli return back to their homeland and share a delightful moment like the past. I’m not sure if I interpreted one of the lines of the conversation right but it seems as though the Wen Clan has fallen.

Finally at long last, we came back to 16 years later, and it was nice to see more of the usual Wei Wuxian at the beginning there having some wine. Meanwhile, Lan Wangji seems happy so I’m assuming he’s aware of the return of Wei Jing. I’m just curious as to the reason why Jiang Cheng killed Wei Wuxian but I wonder if it has anything to do with the short clip of him accepting the sword from him(suicide perhaps, but I highly doubt it in fact).

All in all, a great finale and I’m looking forward to seeing what the 2nd Season will have in store for us.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 24, 2018 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
_MushiRock11_ said:
I’m just curious as to the reason why Jiang Cheng killed Wei Wuxian but I wonder if it has anything to do with the short clip of him accepting the sword from him(suicide perhaps, but I highly doubt it in fact).

The reason why Jiang Cheng began to hate Wei Ying so much will be revealed in S2. It's very personal.
Dec 24, 2018 7:10 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
chi4ko said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
I’m just curious as to the reason why Jiang Cheng killed Wei Wuxian but I wonder if it has anything to do with the short clip of him accepting the sword from him(suicide perhaps, but I highly doubt it in fact).

The reason why Jiang Cheng began to hate Wei Ying so much will be revealed in S2. It's very personal.

Right, I’m looking forward to seeing that!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 24, 2018 10:31 PM

Dec 2014
ok wow that was amazing.... I was a little disorientated as to when they skipped to the present...hmmm still feel bad for the MC wei Xing.... the guy was the MP and helped in ending the war...
Dec 28, 2018 8:11 AM

Jul 2015
Sadly I can't say I liked this much, but I don't want to blame all of it to the work but also to me for not having the patience to try to remember the names of the characters, clans, other words with meaning and associating everything. But anyways, really, I struggle really hard with chinese names (so short and similar) and this anime throwing so many of them all the time made it impossible for me to properly follow a good amount of scenes because I had no freaking idea about who were they talking about, it was crazy.

The first episodes were alright but too slow for my preferences, especially in the first two which were extra length and filled with action I had no reason to be invested into. When the plot started kicking in it's when the real struggle with the main issue I commented really affected my enjoyment, with better organization+me putting more effort I could have enjoyed that quite more, the final stretch was pretty good.

That aside I honestly feel impressed by how freaking good the show looked, every episode was beautiful to look at and the action coreography was great.

5-5.5/10 from my part, I don't see this moving away from the top 100 so I will keep going with the series when the sequel comes out. I have hopes that with following the second season weekly I will have an easier time keeping up with all the events and hopefully also memorize most of everything the series throws at the viewer.
Jan 2, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2010
Just finished it and added to my favorites. What a stellar anime!

Havent touched it for a week after that gutwrenching episode 11 but last 2 episodes were sooo goddamn satisfying to watch. I really needed Wen Chao to die at the end.

I cant wait for the Hi-Res version of the Soundtrack, the songs are beyond amazing in this show.

easily a 10 in my opinion.
Jan 30, 2019 10:14 PM

Aug 2008
Tsubakiaka said:

lol ilove drunk lan zhan although on the last one well ya ...after that scene made me cry :)))
took me a full week but i'm on day :)))
pitty the novel/manhua side on MAL is still "pending" >.>'
would love to talk on each chapters ...sadly here can't cus is only anime discussion "bawls"
The spider is watching
Feb 4, 2019 7:11 AM
Sep 2018
After just finished watching this again.
Can't wait for s2, the story will get even better than it already is and we'll get to see more interesting characters and arcs.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I thought anime/manga from other countries was not allowed on MAL?

Kimiko-chan - Dec 14, 2020

5 by senekohan »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

» I'm telling you

egosumjohn - Dec 8, 2023

7 by Watch_Kuranado »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 8 Discussion

valkiriana - Aug 23, 2018

31 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:30 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 1 Discussion

Stardew - Aug 8, 2018

43 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 1:14 PM

» Places to watch eng subbed?

ManiacalNut - Aug 20, 2023

9 by Erxie »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.