Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2018 1:10 PM

Sep 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The story seems interesting.

Zhao became the chief engineer. We will probably see the old chief engineer and his friends fight againts the empire in the near future.

Empress Loli > Childhood Friends Twin Sisters
Oct 1, 2018 2:45 PM
Aug 2018
It seems that they wanted to establish the premise as much as possible in the first episode hence why the pacing might feel a bit rushed.

There were many things going on at the same time: the backstory AND current events of THREE protagonists, the agenda of the big bad empire, introduction of rebels fighting the empire, some guy betraying the empire, the secret identity of the empress, etc. It's a flood of information stuffed in less than 24 minutes.

The story starts off with childhood friends starting on different sides of the conflict and I really hope they make the most of that later on instead of everyone just joining the rebels and ganging up on the empire.
Oct 1, 2018 2:55 PM

May 2017
I went into this knowing absolutely nothing. Saw it on CR and clicked it. Random thoughts:

- I envisioned some Chinese anime redub, but immediately saw that it was from Studio Deen

- First thought at seeing the CG: Wow, this is better than what I've been seeing in Overlord

- There's something about fantasy Chinese garb in anime that's so attractive

- Like Slime, which I watched right before this one, there's lots and lots of setup in this first episode, but it was interesting enough that I'll tune in next week

- When that one summoned girl transformed it reminded me of Henkei Shoujo and I laughed
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Oct 1, 2018 3:54 PM

Feb 2018
im just here for the cute imouto with no arms lol fkcing rough ..shes so cute

how can you take her arms like that???!!!

and there male childhood friend engineer is gona be a bad guy making weapons that the girls destroy
with there magic scroll girl

maan this is gona be good!!!!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2018 4:13 PM
Apr 2017
Has anyone played this game? I need to watch the game video to determine the quality of the animation.
I only played "XuanYuan Sword: The Scar of the Sky",
Oct 1, 2018 5:02 PM
Oct 2018
gaolong said:
Has anyone played this game? I need to watch the game video to determine the quality of the animation.
I only played "XuanYuan Sword: The Scar of the Sky",

I've played the game this show is based on. It's one of the best games I've ever played and remains one of my top favorite games. It's called 轩辕剑外传苍之涛 or 軒轅劍外傳蒼之濤 if you want to check it out. It's also available for free on the Cube Game platform: https://store.cubejoy.com/html/en/store/goodsdetail/detail84.html
Oct 1, 2018 5:32 PM

Nov 2013
just saying, this episode ended way too fast, i guess i just enjoyed it that much lol

also, character design is pretty good, they are so pretty, that was what called me on the preview
not to mention Kugimiya Rie =D

the fight was also pretty cool
i like how she just summons stuff by thinking "someone help me" :v
winddevil1Oct 1, 2018 5:37 PM
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 1, 2018 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Unfortunately historical anime often seems to rarely work along with bad cgi and direction.
Oct 1, 2018 5:58 PM

Jan 2016
I really enjoy the first episode and expecting a lot of CGI would be use for this one especially those constructs.

Now that they're on a different side I wonder what will happen if they meet each other again, and I wonder why that soldier didn't know that she's the Empress.
Oct 1, 2018 6:37 PM

Dec 2016
Some decent animation at points but nothing else really grabbed me
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 1, 2018 7:07 PM

Oct 2015
The animation is up to standard but it seems like the action is a bit decent though. That Yun seems to be a badass doll and the sisters aren't bad either especially Yin.

Kinda guessed that girl was an important figure and when she encountered Zhao.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 1, 2018 7:22 PM

Jul 2014
This is so damn chinese. It reminds me to a F2P MMORPG I used to play long time ago lol

The history is there, but it is was extremely rushed, this episode could have been 3 episodes easily.

I wonder if the empress is trying to destroy her empire from inside naming someone like him chief engineer. Also, what happened to the guard to slapped her? I am sure the fate of someone who assaults royalty is worse than dead.
Oct 1, 2018 7:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Was thinking that's I'd immediately drop it after the first episode, but I'm actually interested. Not so much for the plot or setting yet, but mainly for the 3 main characters. They're characters that I would like to see their journeys of. Stuff like acquiring the sword and flying through the air I could do without, lol, but I don't mind it too much yet. Although I enjoyed the episode, the pacing was definitely fast, and the some parts were kind of cringey (when Zhao and the Empress were hit by the guard). We'll see how I feel about the series in one or two more episodes. Doesn't seem like a quality series in terms of writing, but I can see myself staying for the characters.
Oct 1, 2018 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
Felt kind of rushed, they never really gave themselves a chance to explain any of what the showed us. We know there's tech, magic, and dragons, but we know nothing about the tech, magic, or dragons.

But all in all, it was an interesting first episode. I like the main sisters and I would like to know more about this world. We'll give this a couple more episodes to see what it's really about.
Oct 1, 2018 11:39 PM

Aug 2018
A pretty confusing plotline.

And which year is this there is clothes from 1400 but technology superior to us (2018) This is some confuing shit, but not in a good way
I problably will continue to watch (because its only 13 episodes)
1 ep 5/10
LaboooonOct 1, 2018 11:42 PM
HENTAI
IS
ART
Oct 2, 2018 6:35 AM

Jul 2016
Quite a rushed episode.

It seems that they tried to introduce all the major player in this episode. And the main character of the original Taiwanese game is made into a android Servant lol

Standard animation with some blend of 3D animation which in my opinion still way better than the ones in Overlord S3.

Being a Seiyuu Otaku myself I'm quite pleased and surprised by the old-time seiyuus...

Yeah~~ Mizuki Nana and Noto Mamiko~~
Oct 2, 2018 6:52 AM

May 2010
Not worth enduring the terrible CGI and below average animation quality.
pass
Oct 2, 2018 11:16 AM

Oct 2012
Not a bad beginning. We met a lot of characters, saw constructs, super powers and even a snake demon. The CGI people are complaining about really isn't that bad either. Looks like a big battle between the rebellion and empire. My guess is that there will be changes coming from within the empire itself too, in the form of the empress herself and the new chief engineer.
Oct 2, 2018 12:24 PM

Sep 2015
This will certainly end in tragedy. That's a big turn off for me.
Oct 2, 2018 1:30 PM

May 2018
Oh a Loli Empress, it looks like that guard who suspected Zhou a traitor got his head cut off.
Oct 2, 2018 4:35 PM

Sep 2011
Phantasy_Starved said:
I went into this knowing absolutely nothing. Saw it on CR and clicked it. Random thoughts:

- I envisioned some Chinese anime redub, but immediately saw that it was from Studio Deen

- First thought at seeing the CG: Wow, this is better than what I've been seeing in Overlord

- There's something about fantasy Chinese garb in anime that's so attractive

- Like Slime, which I watched right before this one, there's lots and lots of setup in this first episode, but it was interesting enough that I'll tune in next week

- When that one summoned girl transformed it reminded me of Henkei Shoujo and I laughed

I read this comment before watching and it gave me hope that this would be one of those hidden gems. After watching it I wonder if we watched the same episode.

- Studio Deen couldn't save the atrocious writing and awful pacing of this series. They tried to pack 2, maybe 3, episodes of content into 1. They did not establish what was normal in this world, so any type of magical event had no impact. Are super powers normal? Why can these people fly around and shoot lightning? How many of these people are there and why didn't they do anything earlier to prevent this war? This feels very low-budget coming from Deen.

- Both have crap CGI, but I can agree it looks slightly better in this series. It only looks better in this series since it is darker and you can't make out awful outlining or shading as well. The shading in Overlord is done marginally better, but the animation of the CGI is way worse. This series has better CGI animation, but the shading is awful.

- I'd argue that while Slime did rush its entrance it didn't try to jam the backstories of 4 different characters into a single episode. I really like the manga version of Slime, and I was really worried before I even heard the anime announcement that the series doesn't really work well with the anime format due to its incredibly slow pacing and lack of real antagonist until volume...3 I think it was. I bring this up because I feel like we are comparing apples to oranges with this series and Slime. This series is taking itself seriously and packed a lot of content into its first episode as a means to hit the ground running. Slime doesn't take itself seriously and takes its sweet ass time in some places to set things up properly while brushing other details to the side. I do hope you can muster up the patience to see Slime to episode 3. I agree that the start up is boring (especially since there are a lot of inconsistencies with the source) and it's not for everybody, but I think there is a lot to be taken from the series. If you like series like Overlord where there is one REALLY overpowered character and everyone else kisses their ass, you will love Slime once it gets up and running.

- The transformation was just another thing to add to the pile of "WTF is happening" for me.

I'll give this series a bit more time to explain itself. It has an interesting premise, but so far it has been poorly executed.
Oct 2, 2018 4:50 PM

Jan 2013
Healmeplz said:
This is so damn chinese. It reminds me to a F2P MMORPG I used to play long time ago lol

The history is there, but it is was extremely rushed, this episode could have been 3 episodes easily.

I wonder if the empress is trying to destroy her empire from inside naming someone like him chief engineer. Also, what happened to the guard to slapped her? I am sure the fate of someone who assaults royalty is worse than dead.

Who do you think the head at the end belonged to?
Oct 2, 2018 6:03 PM

May 2017
Shirasho said:
I read this comment before watching and it gave me hope that this would be one of those hidden gems. After watching it I wonder if we watched the same episode.

Haha, that's what you get for listening to some old dude that likes most of what he watches!

Plus, as I said, my expectations were super-low on this one, and I've seen much, much worse. I truly like the character design and the setting enough to see if the story settles into a groove.
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Oct 2, 2018 6:08 PM

Jul 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
Healmeplz said:

The dude that commanded the failed attack on the village.
Oct 2, 2018 6:39 PM

Sep 2011
Phantasy_Starved said:
Shirasho said:

Haha, that's what you get for listening to some old dude that likes most of what he watches!

Plus, as I said, my expectations were super-low on this one, and I've seen much, much worse. I truly like the character design and the setting enough to see if the story settles into a groove.

Gotta say Im super jealous. I've become so jaded that I can't enjoy most of what I watch anymore. We've had a lot of really strong series lately which has raised the bar, but we've also had so much garbage with little in the middle. The me of yesteryear probably would have been excited to see where this series was going and enjoyed the ride. Just as you say, though, I've seen much worse as well *cough*Haoliners*cough*.

I think one of the most satisfying feelings I've ever felt as an anime viewer is to have a guilty pleasure turn into one of the best series of the season. You know, one of those series that starts really weak and looks like a train wreck then gets its shit together and becomes amazing. I would love to see this series (well, every weak-starting series) become like that.

Here's hoping next week ties everything together.
Oct 2, 2018 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
wew! this is not Japanese anymore...this is pure full blown CHINESE!
4/5.

Oct 2, 2018 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
The CGI didn't bother me, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Oct 3, 2018 3:24 AM

May 2012
Is is not as bad as the score make it
Oct 3, 2018 9:36 AM

Apr 2007
Healmeplz said:
RedArmyShogun said:

Nah, that's the head of the dude who slapped the empress. Check the manbun to confirm.
Oct 3, 2018 9:45 AM

Jul 2014
Killuan said:
Healmeplz said:

Nah, that's the head of the dude who slapped the empress. Check the manbun to confirm.
Killuan said:
Healmeplz said:

Oh, you are right, the commander's face is oddly long, the guard has a normal face and a manbun. Plot hole solved lol
Oct 3, 2018 12:44 PM

Jul 2016
Rie Kugimiya, Nana Mizuki and Mamiko Noto together? Best anime of the season, fuck Index.
Oct 3, 2018 10:25 PM

Jul 2016
thepath said:
Is is not as bad as the score make it

People would have seen the CGI an given it a 1 straight away.

They are idiots.
Oct 5, 2018 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
it was okay i guess
Oct 7, 2018 3:21 PM

Sep 2016
Holy shit how did they get NanaMizuki to sing the OP theme?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 8, 2018 9:22 AM

Apr 2007
GangsterCat said:
Holy shit how did they get NanaMizuki to sing the OP theme?

Well, she does voice one of the main characters.
Oct 8, 2018 2:12 PM

Mar 2016
I only watched this anime because the art looked good in the trailer.

The story is rather fast, and just expects us to accept everything they tell us. (This sentence is hard to read. Does anyone know an alternate way to say the same thing?)

The robots in a historic Chinese setting is hard to process. It took me out of the story for a while, and I forced myself to believe it makes sense in this story. (I really like the art, so I want to try liking this anime, if possible.)

I wonder if the robot arse getting close to the camera was really necessary. It will probably either give me nightmares or Henki Shoujo flashbacks.

I like that the female characters don't act like complete losers. Also, the weak girl didn't act like a damsel in distress.

The protagonist doesn't look like he'd be fighting. I hope he doesn't fight, and just influences the war with his intelligence. The brain is often treated like it's quite unimportant, and it's sad.

Sometimes, I feel like you need to dumb yourselves down a little if you intend to enjoy a story from China. Their stories are amazing, but they don't make a lot of sense.

The protagonist hasn't slept for three years? Can I seriously believe that? He is intelligent enough to grasp how machines work, and he's hot! In real life, he'd be dead and decaying by now. Sleep is important!!
Oct 9, 2018 6:05 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting "world", but it was pretty bland otherwise. I'll give it one more before I drop it.
Oct 13, 2018 3:19 AM

May 2015
FuMomo-kun said:

The robots in a historic Chinese setting is hard to process. It took me out of the story for a while, and I forced myself to believe it makes sense in this story. (I really like the art, so I want to try liking this anime, if possible.)

Sometimes, I feel like you need to dumb yourselves down a little if you intend to enjoy a story from China. Their stories are amazing, but they don't make a lot of sense.

You can process ghouls in Tokyo or people turning into titans but robots in ancient China is too much? This is based on a Taiwanese game, in my experience game adaptations never turn out good whether it's Chinese or Japanese, besides there's plenty of "dumb" and out there wacky anime that don't make any sense.
Oct 13, 2018 5:50 AM

Mar 2016
CtrlZED said:
FuMomo-kun said:

You can process ghouls in Tokyo or people turning into titans but robots in ancient China is too much? This is based on a Taiwanese game, in my experience game adaptations never turn out good whether it's Chinese or Japanese, besides there's plenty of "dumb" and out there wacky anime that don't make any sense.

Tokyo Ghoul has the word Ghoul in its title, so I know I can expect to see ghouls in it. Attack on Titan is also the same. They both prepare you from the start, so it's easier to accept. If someone from Tokyo Ghoul turned out to be a witch or a god without warning, it would make that hard to process as well. It is called 'suspension of disbelief' when you make your audience believe the impossible.

This anime wasn't so subtle with the machines. If it showed those machines early on or prepared us for it in some way, I would have had an easier time to accept it. I was genuinely expecting some historical fantasy, and only prepared myself for supernatural stuff. They should have taken some minutes to world build, and show the characters' daily lives, instead of jumping straight onto the story. Basically, episode two should have been episode one.
Oct 16, 2018 7:03 AM

May 2009
Robutt part was only interesting thing about episode
Gfycat
Nov 29, 2018 4:23 PM

Nov 2013
Not a bad start. It's a bit on the cheap side, but I like the characters and the setting.

Yin trying to feed the demon corpse to her sister and the transformation were hilarious.

The betrayal was fairly obvious. Didn't expect the little girl to be the Empress though. As for Zhao, his pursuit of engineering helped him endure slavery and he couldn't exactly decline the Empress' offer. But he's too willing to work for the Empire in my opinion.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 23, 2019 4:41 AM

May 2010
What the hell is going on...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ken En Ken: Aoki Kagayaki Episode 13 Discussion

winddevil1 - Dec 24, 2018

16 by Bugg1211 »»
Nov 7, 2023 12:26 AM

» Will there be a 2nd season?

Ash_In_Space - Aug 24, 2023

0 by Ash_In_Space »»
Aug 24, 2023 9:31 PM

Poll: » Ken En Ken: Aoki Kagayaki Episode 8 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 19, 2018

15 by nightcrawlercyp »»
Jul 11, 2019 11:16 PM

Poll: » Ken En Ken: Aoki Kagayaki Episode 10 Discussion

winddevil1 - Dec 3, 2018

10 by Confucius »»
Feb 24, 2019 7:27 PM

Poll: » Ken En Ken: Aoki Kagayaki Episode 6 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 5, 2018

10 by Confucius »»
Feb 24, 2019 3:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.