Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2018 8:58 PM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of a nice change for Kana to not go for the smooch and realize she's not ready for that stage of romance yet.

Haruko sexually assaulting the dude the entire episode was painful. Poor guy
Sep 29, 2018 9:05 PM

Sep 2008
Gotta admit at this point, my feelings on this FLCL series are kind of lukewarm compared to Progressive. Thus far, Alternative's attempted to try squeezing in some sort of character development for Kana and one of her pals within a single episode and conveniently wrap it up by the end of it. Having more characters to focus on works against this series since said developments don't feel as genuine as what the first FLCL and Progressive got into with Naota and Hidomi's coming-of-age tribulations since what Kana and her pals go through lacks the gradual build up that the two other titles devoted for their lead characters. Perhaps if FLCL Alternative were a longer series, this sort of storytelling structure could have worked better to allow more natural character growth out of its larger cast. But as it is right now, this is rather underwhelming to me.
Sep 30, 2018 5:43 AM

Apr 2016
I think the most damning thing you can say about this episode is that it feels like a waste. Sure, we got some fun gags and facial expressions, and some cool new designs, but I was wondering why they didn't try to focus on the one character left in the group who desperately needed it, and why there was no sense of escalation or urgency with this episode. It feels easily the most small-scale and unthreatening, taking away from the overall narrative at hand. We only have 6 episodes; we have no time to waste. As bad as Progressive is, one thing I can say is that despite the entirety of the product being a waste at best and downright damaging at worst, it wasted no time in attempting to tell its escalating story. I get that the main characters wanna buy time and have their fun times together last forever, but the show itself shouldn't feel like it's so blatantly buying time itself.

That said, even this episode is better, less idiotic or damaging, and better produced than the entirety of Progressive (well, maybe episode 5 of Prog is better produced than this, but eh).
Sep 30, 2018 7:08 AM

Jul 2017
This was a weird episode, not gonna lie. I don't know how to feel about anything that happened here.
Sep 30, 2018 8:40 AM

Sep 2012
I'm trying really hard not to admit that having Haruko around is making me care about high school drama xP
Oct 1, 2018 7:12 AM
Jul 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
It feels easily the most small-scale and unthreatening, taking away from the overall narrative at hand. We only have 6 episodes; we have no time to waste.

One episode for Pets and one for the conclusion should be fine I think. Not like there's an overarching story really.
Oct 1, 2018 7:30 AM

Apr 2016
Mouloxas said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
It feels easily the most small-scale and unthreatening, taking away from the overall narrative at hand. We only have 6 episodes; we have no time to waste.

One episode for Pets and one for the conclusion should be fine I think. Not like there's an overarching story really.
But there is one. It just happens to take quite the back seat. Unless the episode with Pets does some major escalation, the finale seems like it will be rushed. By episode 4, both the OG and Progressive kicked their narratives into high gear (as bad as Progressive was). Here, it feels like it’s stalling. This should have been the Pets episode tbh.
Oct 1, 2018 7:52 AM
Jul 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
But there is one. It just happens to take quite the back seat. Unless the episode with Pets does some major escalation, the finale seems like it will be rushed

Eh, i don't see it tbh. Like yeah, Atomsk will come, shit will happen, we know that. Doesn't need much of a build-up.

And Kana needed her own episode. At worst they can just ignore Pets completely and leave her as the mediator-kind of character.
Oct 1, 2018 7:59 AM

Apr 2016
Mouloxas said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
But there is one. It just happens to take quite the back seat. Unless the episode with Pets does some major escalation, the finale seems like it will be rushed

Eh, i don't see it tbh. Like yeah, Atomsk will come, shit will happen, we know that. Doesn't need much of a build-up.

And Kana needed her own episode. At worst they can just ignore Pets completely and leave her as the mediator-kind of character.
Hence why that stuff was mostly in the background. However, they still could have used a bit of escalation in scale for this episode.

That’s basically what episode 1 was for, and in fact, she was avourbas ouch ofna focal point as episodes 2 and 3 as the characters those episodes focused on were. Those episodes were about those characters, their specific place in and dynamics with the group, and what Kana learned from those characters’ stories. She is the one who the show centers around most of all, so there’s no need to devote an episode mainly to her after those first 3 happened.
Oct 1, 2018 8:34 AM
Jul 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Those episodes were about those characters, their specific place in and dynamics with the group, and what Kana learned from those characters’ stories. She is the one who the show centers around most of all, so there’s no need to devote an episode mainly to her after those first 3 happened.

Sure, but those episode were mostly buildup for what i see as the culmination of her "character arc" aka this episode. Forming her own life view via the experiences of her close friends and deciding that: She's not ready for romance, not ready for next adulthood phase, doesn't want to change the dynamics of her current childhood relationships.

Would this all have been better as final episode content? Yes.

But then again, with how one-sided Alternative has been (only focuses on friend group dynamics, no focus on Haruko interactions) it doesn't really matter. Kana and her friends can't realistically have an effect on Haruko's personality that will make for an interesting twist considering they're pretty much the same in refusing to grow up.

At least its better than Progressive which failed on both fronts, but i'm not expecting this to amount to much more than a fun little story in the end.
Oct 1, 2018 8:38 AM

Apr 2016
Mouloxas said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Those episodes were about those characters, their specific place in and dynamics with the group, and what Kana learned from those characters’ stories. She is the one who the show centers around most of all, so there’s no need to devote an episode mainly to her after those first 3 happened.

Sure, but those episode were mostly buildup for what i see as the culmination of her "character arc" aka this episode. Forming her own life view via the experiences of her close friends and deciding that: She's not ready for romance, not ready for next adulthood phase, doesn't want to change the dynamics of her current childhood relationships.

Would this all have been better as final episode content? Yes.

But then again, with how one-sided Alternative has been (only focuses on friend group dynamics, no focus on Haruko interactions) it doesn't really matter. Kana and her friends can't realistically have an effect on Haruko's personality that will make for an interesting twist considering they're pretty much the same in refusing to grow up.

At least its better than Progressive which failed on both fronts, but i'm not expecting this to amount to much more than a fun little story in the end.
Honestly, no, this is not the culmination of anything. It's yet another lesson she learned, just like in every episode prior. The culmination of her overall character arc has yet to come. Plus, of course, none of them have an effect on Haruho's personality. Part of the show is how she affects Kana in particular and interweaves her impacts on Kana's learning of life lessons with the exploration of her friends.

It is better than Progressive in basically every way. I agree with that. Here's hoping this show ends strong, though even if it trainwrecks, it won't be as bad as Progressive.
Oct 1, 2018 8:58 AM
Jul 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Honestly, no, this is not the culmination of anything. It's yet another lesson she learned, just like in every episode prior. The culmination of her overall character arc has yet to come.

As long as she doesn't magically fall in love with the guy again, I'm fine.

Plus, of course, none of them have an effect on Haruho's personality. Part of the show is how she affects Kana in particular and interweaves her impacts on Kana's learning of life lessons with the exploration of her friends.

Yeah but part of the original was also how she was changed by Naota, an aspect which is non-existent in these reboots (and that really annoys me)
Oct 1, 2018 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
Mouloxas said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Honestly, no, this is not the culmination of anything. It's yet another lesson she learned, just like in every episode prior. The culmination of her overall character arc has yet to come.

As long as she doesn't magically fall in love with the guy again, I'm fine.

Plus, of course, none of them have an effect on Haruho's personality. Part of the show is how she affects Kana in particular and interweaves her impacts on Kana's learning of life lessons with the exploration of her friends.

Yeah but part of the original was also how she was changed by Naota, an aspect which is non-existent in these reboots (and that really annoys me)
Yea same on that first part

Well, she didn't really get changed by Naota, at least not much. I know she impacted him a lot and in some ways and that impact is shown in Alternative. I kinda feel like she regressed in Progressive for the sake of a badly done character arc.
Oct 2, 2018 4:57 AM

Oct 2008
awesome extremely fun episode!
Haruhara is really intrusive!!!
5/5.
matias067Oct 2, 2018 5:01 AM

Oct 4, 2018 4:12 AM
Jul 2018
Poor Pets. By the looks of it, she not going to get a episode. The only way I can see her getting one is the next episode is a half Pets, half Medical Mechanica episode.
Nov 11, 2018 8:25 PM

Nov 2017
I've never wanted to like an anime so much and been so sorely disappointed. Same terrible twist ending where you don't get what you're expecting and the creators pissed you off for 30 minutes.
Mar 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Aug 2017
Expected an arc for Pets tbh, but instead got a full episode centered around some canonically basic and boring guy who's our heroine's love interest...all that just to show she's not mature yet? Well, I don't know, I kinda felt that the previous character episodes were better. In this one they kinda overdid it with facial expressions. Making chibi faces the right way is not easy! Though I gotta acknoledge that the creators at least try to do something creative (like that shoujo face for Kana which still felt cringe but anyway). And those references to Slam Dunk, lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TrishaCat - Mar 31, 2018

77 by MizuhoKamui »»
May 16, 2023 7:14 PM

» The Show is Ruined Because of Haruko

GennosukeKouga - Jul 3, 2020

2 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vysarine - Oct 13, 2018

57 by Wiziliz »»
Feb 13, 2022 12:41 AM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 5 Discussion

Vysarine - Oct 6, 2018

14 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 3 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 22, 2018

15 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.