Forum Settings
Forums

North and South Korea Vow to Denuclearize, Co-Host 2032 Olympics

New
Sep 20, 2018 6:44 AM

Mar 2008
The leaders of North and South Korea have wrapped up their third summit this year with a vow to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula. Earlier today South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un held a joint press conference in Pyongyang. Kim vowed to move toward denuclearization if the United States takes steps of its own.

Kim Jong-un: “We adopted a military pact to end a history of brutal and tragic confrontation and hostility, and agreed to make efforts to turn the Korean Peninsula into a land of peace without nuclear weapons and nuclear threats.”
South Korean President Moon Jae-in praised the North Korean offer. He said, “The era of no war has started.”

President Moon Jae-in: “South and North Korea agreed on a denuclearization plan for the first time. It is a very meaningful outcome. The North has decided to permanently abolish the Tongchang-ri engine test site and missile launchers, with the attendance of experts from relevant countries.”
The two leaders also agreed to pursue a bid to co-host the 2032 Olympic Games, and Moon said he expects Kim Jong-un to soon become the first North Korean leader to ever visit Seoul.

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/9/19/headlines/north_and_south_korea_vow_to_denuclearize_co_host_2032_olympics

This is good Kim and Moon are moving things along now but Trump could be a potential bump in the road if he refuses to negotiate so it's up to him to not screw up.

Little reminder I from at least a year back was the one who said North Korea would not attack the US unless it attacked first. That Kim Jong-Un wanted reunification just like Moon Jae-In did but they just didn't get to terms agreements. I am not sure I said it but I also knew no denuclearization would happen till North Korea got military backing from other countries to help protect it. The nukes were always for defensive purposes just like how other countries use them although Kim Jong-Un went to greater lengths to keep people on edge to know the threats weren't empty.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 20, 2018 7:11 AM

Jan 2009
whats the point of the Singapore denuclearization deal between Trump and Kim then? North Korea is becoming vague with this deals
Sep 20, 2018 7:14 AM

Mar 2008
deg said:
whats the point of the Singapore denuclearization deal between Trump and Kim then? North Korea is becoming vague with this deals

I don't really know about that with Singapore
Sep 20, 2018 7:39 AM

Oct 2014
Oh? Where did the "irrational nuclear button mashing" Kim go to? When was he replaced by the "totally serious leader of north korea who will negotiate peace with the south" Kim?

Now the guy who fired a test missle into japanese air space has become the "good guy", somehow he even was a "good guy all along"?

Historical revision, live on-air.
Sep 20, 2018 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
good luck with that
Sep 20, 2018 8:46 AM

Feb 2018
deg said:

What happened in Singapore seemed to be more symbolic if anything, it was one of the few meetings between the US and the DPRK where it didn't end horrendously.
Sep 20, 2018 8:53 AM

Nov 2016
I'm a time traveler from the future. This never happened.

Also, your winning lottery numbers are 16,32,7,5 and 8.
Sep 20, 2018 8:56 AM

Jan 2018
The North and South meeting and share a bonds each other means that these two country could unify and start export their products altogether. North Korea could also be part of an K-Pop boys group bands that help them popularizing North Korea and in some cases, North Korean dramas.

I am hoping that these new unification can help for the 2032 Summer Olympics to create an whole economic superpower and be the second largest economy in the world behind China as the 1st largest economy in the world

(sorry for my poor English)
Sep 20, 2018 12:45 PM

May 2017
It’s nice to see both Koreas at least to attempt to come together to try to create peaceful solutions through denuclearization.

The 2032 Olympics should be interesting to say the least. I would actually travel over there to see what the festivities would be like.
Sep 20, 2018 2:27 PM

Dec 2016
Grey-Zone said:
Oh? Where did the "irrational nuclear button mashing" Kim go to? When was he replaced by the "totally serious leader of north korea who will negotiate peace with the south" Kim?

Now the guy who fired a test missle into japanese air space has become the "good guy", somehow he even was a "good guy all along"?

Lol. They started putting THAADS everywhere, that you know, totally don't work and are terrible. Buuuuuut on the off chance that they do work and completely negate Russia and Chia's nuclear arsenal, they put Kim back on his leash.

I mean, if you was a Russian hacker analyst the US is clearly moving to glass Russia. Tactical nuke laden F-35, F-22s. THAADS etc. Which means if the US strikes first they won't even be able to retaliate with nukes. Well, they can't even strike first with enough THAADS. But they can take that biiiiiiig ol US nuclear dick to the chin like a champ. Better start digging some metro tunnels comrades.
It should be blatantly obvious the US (at least believes) it has an ace up its sleeve. With direct missile attacks on Russia/Syria/Iran and deliberately engaging Russian forces.
https://taskandpurpose.com/russian-mercenaries-syria-leaked-audio/

@ Thread Trumperino can't stop S. Korea and N. Korea from doing anything. All S. Korea has to do is ask US to leave. Please do, btw.
SoverignSep 20, 2018 3:33 PM
Sep 20, 2018 3:48 PM

Mar 2008
Grey-Zone said:

It was always a bit of both. This isn't an anime plot. Things are more complex than that.
Sep 21, 2018 2:11 AM

May 2018
I think Kim Jong Un is planning something...
Sep 21, 2018 2:23 AM

Oct 2009
Trump appears to have actually gotten through to North Korea, eh?

MAGAMAGAMAGA! :D
Sep 21, 2018 2:44 AM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Grey-Zone said:

It was always a bit of both. This isn't an anime plot. Things are more complex than that.

It's more like, he is in "whatever state of mind that can be used against Trump".

Kim is super irrational and trigger-happy when Trump aggressively tweets against him.

Kim is a super evil dictator who has bloody hands when Trump goes to peace talks with him.

Kim is a great leader who does the right thing when someone who is not Trump goes to peace talks with him and Trump is therefore a danger because he could be jealous or something.

Yea, very complex.
Sep 21, 2018 3:08 AM

Jan 2018
AzuFarisNyan said:

TO DESTORY SOUTH KOREA!!!
Sep 21, 2018 3:11 AM

Oct 2014
hotsushikun said:
AzuFarisNyan said:

TO DESTORY SOUTH KOREA!!!

In other words, suicide by proxy.
Sep 21, 2018 3:13 AM

Mar 2008
Grey-Zone said:
traed said:

It's more like, he is in "whatever state of mind that can be used against Trump".

Kim is super irrational and trigger-happy when Trump aggressively tweets against him.

Kim is a super evil dictator who has bloody hands when Trump goes to peace talks with him.

Kim is a great leader who does the right thing when someone who is not Trump goes to peace talks with him and Trump is therefore a danger because he could be jealous or something.

Yea, very complex.

Trump doesn't do well with diplomacy while Moon does.

I wasn't really talking about Trump though but some of the reasons behind Kim's behaviour. Things he did make more sense when you factor the things South Korea and the US did in the past earlier in the Korean war.
Sep 21, 2018 3:32 AM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Grey-Zone said:

Yea, very complex.

I wasn't really talking about Trump though but some of the reasons behind Kim's behaviour. Things he did make more sense when you factor the things South Korea and the US did in the past earlier in the Korean war.

I am talking about how the media switch around their "assessment" about his psychological state. It's completely absurd to call someone mentally challenged/crazy and then a few months later treat them as a rational person without admitting that the previous "assessment" was complete and utter BS.

It's quite obvious that Kim was playing a fool on purpose and trying to give the impression of "try doing something against me and I just might fire a nuke into Japan and bombard the hell out of South Korea's capital!", however the media either fell for it or played along for ratings. Now they pretend that didn't happen, so they cannot be taken seriously when they're assessing KJU.

Same can be said about "assessing" Trump's diplomacy, when the media are having selective amnesia. The media constantly talk about the EU doing their best to isolate the US, while conveniently leaving out the fact that Trump made a deal with the EU only a few weeks ago, which Juncker himself described quite positively.

I lost ALL faith in any psycho-analysis in the media and always assume that it's complete BS until proven otherwise. That includes any so-called body language experts.
Sep 21, 2018 3:33 AM

Jan 2018
traed said:
Grey-Zone said:

Yea, very complex.

Moon seems to be an osanajimi to Kim to me, they've been childhood friends since elemantry school. Wrong, Moon Jae-in's parents we're a refugees from North Korea, which is why he has an diplomatic relations with North.

Sep 21, 2018 5:57 AM

Mar 2008
Grey-Zone said:
traed said:

I am talking about how the media switch around their "assessment" about his psychological state. It's completely absurd to call someone mentally challenged/crazy and then a few months later treat them as a rational person without admitting that the previous "assessment" was complete and utter BS.

It's quite obvious that Kim was playing a fool on purpose and trying to give the impression of "try doing something against me and I just might fire a nuke into Japan and bombard the hell out of South Korea's capital!", however the media either fell for it or played along for ratings. Now they pretend that didn't happen, so they cannot be taken seriously when they're assessing KJU.

Same can be said about "assessing" Trump's diplomacy, when the media are having selective amnesia. The media constantly talk about the EU doing their best to isolate the US, while conveniently leaving out the fact that Trump made a deal with the EU only a few weeks ago, which Juncker himself described quite positively.

I lost ALL faith in any psycho-analysis in the media and always assume that it's complete BS until proven otherwise. That includes any so-called body language experts.

Gee it's almost like changing situations change opinions of the current state of those very same situations and opinions of the current decisions of people involved especially when written by different article writers. No fucking wayyyyyyy....

"Pretend that didn't happen"
Not entirely. Brian Williams on air said "our job is to scare you to death" when talking about North Korea. (cant find a short clip atm)

Trump is no international man of mystery. He has very little to no filter or at least everyone should hope so just imagine what he holds back if all this shit show is what he lets out. It doesn't take an expert to see he is isn't very good at diplomacy since he gets some leaders to dislike him so much they won't want to make any proper deals as easily.

hotsushikun said:

Moon seems to be an osanajimi to Kim to me, they've been childhood friends since elemantry school. Wrong, Moon Jae-in's parents we're a refugees from North Korea, which is why he has an diplomatic relations with North.

You told me nothing I did not already know.
traedSep 21, 2018 6:01 AM
Sep 21, 2018 6:29 AM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Trump is no international man of mystery. He has very little to no filter or at least everyone should hope so just imagine what he holds back if all this shit show is what he lets out. It doesn't take an expert to see he is isn't very good at diplomacy since he gets some leaders to dislike him so much they won't want to make any proper deals as easily.

You don't seem to have too many expectations for the world leaders? I mean taking it for granted that people won't properly negotiate with the super power called USA because the guy in charge likes to shitpost on Twitter a lot and they don't like his orange face tells more about Trump's negotiation partners than about Trump himself, at least the way you characterize them here.
Sep 21, 2018 6:16 PM

Feb 2015
Kim gets to smile with Moon Jae-in and make bold pledges to denuclearize, all while ignoring Pompeo's advances at actual tangible denuke progress, and all while he mass-produces more warheads and ballistic missiles. China and a lot of the int'l coalition Trump helped form last year will be awfully reluctant to strengthen sanctions while Kim keeps up the facade of being conciliatory and willing to disarm. Say what you will about Bolton and Pompeo, but they've been consistently clear-eyed about what's been going on, unlike Trump and Moon.
Sep 22, 2018 5:49 AM

Mar 2015
lol, north korea just lost it's ally, and they are desperate... there is reason why china doesn't do anything about this deal... they also want it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 22, 2018 9:25 PM

Mar 2008
Grey-Zone said:
traed said:

You don't seem to have too many expectations for the world leaders? I mean taking it for granted that people won't properly negotiate with the super power called USA because the guy in charge likes to shitpost on Twitter a lot and they don't like his orange face tells more about Trump's negotiation partners than about Trump himself, at least the way you characterize them here.

He is disrespectful to other nations and uses threats to try to get his way. A diplomat would better be able to have a more civil discussion instead of shitposting on twitter.
Sep 22, 2018 11:45 PM

May 2013
Seoul already had the Winter Olympics, no being needy now.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 23, 2018 2:44 AM

Jan 2018
Gan_water said:

Winter Olympics 2018 was hosted in Pyeongchang, read at Wikipedia. Seoul hosted its own Summer Olympics back in 1988.
Sep 23, 2018 3:25 AM

Oct 2014
traed said:
Grey-Zone said:

He is disrespectful to other nations and uses threats to try to get his way. A diplomat would better be able to have a more civil discussion instead of shitposting on twitter.

You are mixing up modern, western diplomatic norms with Trump's effectiveness at diplomacy.

Also it's not like Trump doesn't have civil discussion. Remember the phrase "we have a GREAT relationships with [insert country here]"? That's the words he uses everytime he had a one-on-one with another country's leader. The press conferences afterwards usually don't seem like either party had been disappointed by the results... of course we don't know what went on behind the scenes, but at least Trump can keep up form when he needs to.
Sep 23, 2018 7:48 AM
May 2016
Meanwhile Trump is sitting back thinking "I did that, that was thanks to me!"
Sep 23, 2018 9:40 AM

May 2013
hotsushikun said:
Gan_water said:

Winter Olympics 2018 was hosted in Pyeongchang, read at Wikipedia. Seoul hosted its own Summer Olympics back in 1988.

Oh, haha. Yeah, I just pulled that from mind, sorry. In either case, they don't tend to come back around so soon.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 23, 2018 12:28 PM

May 2018
All thanks to Trump
Sep 24, 2018 2:20 AM

Oct 2012
Connall_ said:
deg said:
What happened in Singapore seemed to be more symbolic if anything, it was one of the few meetings between the US and the DPRK where it didn't end horrendously.
Well let's see. First secretary of state Mike Pompeo goes on air to state that there would be no deal without North Korean denuclearization as a precondition. Then our national security adviser John Bolton stated that we would be dismantling North Korean nuclear programs within the year. Finally, Trump fires off tweets claiming he saved us from North Korea, and that their leader was weak and not nice. Then, he decides to go ahead with military exercises with South Korea despite telling North Korea it was canceled. Then Guiliani claims that Kim Jong Un was begging on his hands and knees to restart talks.

The North Koreans rejected denuclearization without involving South Korea, rejected the denuclearization timeline, and rebuked Trump and Guilinani's claims.

Trump backs out.

But no doubt he will be taking credit for this negotiation between North and South Korea, even though he played no part of it because he'd rather talk shit on Twitter.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 24, 2018 3:09 AM

Feb 2018
katsucats said:
Connall_ said:
Well let's see. First secretary of state Mike Pompeo goes on air to state that there would be no deal without North Korean denuclearization as a precondition. Then our national security adviser John Bolton stated that we would be dismantling North Korean nuclear programs within the year. Finally, Trump fires off tweets claiming he saved us from North Korea, and that their leader was weak and not nice. Then, he decides to go ahead with military exercises with South Korea despite telling North Korea it was canceled. Then Guiliani claims that Kim Jong Un was begging on his hands and knees to restart talks.

The North Koreans rejected denuclearization without involving South Korea, rejected the denuclearization timeline, and rebuked Trump and Guilinani's claims.

Trump backs out.

But no doubt he will be taking credit for this negotiation between North and South Korea, even though he played no part of it because he'd rather talk shit on Twitter.

I mean Trump did play a bit of a part in getting these negotiations going, he basically used madman theory against Kim where he would constantly threaten retaliation if the NK tried anything.
I don't think he should have all credit but credit where credit's due; it's not like he did nothing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.