Forum Settings
Forums

Is Grand Blue trying to imitate American culture?

New
Sep 1, 2018 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
and I mean specifically with the excessive drinking while still in school as well as getting naked.

Also, it doesn't seem like they represent the nudity correctly.
The crazy guy that gets naked at a house party does it because he's so drunk and SHAMELESS. it's obnoxious and everyone just laughs at him. Normally it never ends well. They don't just stand there in the buff with their full glass of beer and laugh proudly. Lol.

As someone who went to house parties and actually had this experience in highschool, it's kind of insulting.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2018 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
are you implying that no Japanese students have ever had a crazy frat party before?
Sep 1, 2018 3:24 PM

Oct 2014
Grand Blue takes place in a University which is a big difference
Sep 1, 2018 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
nicethings said:
are you implying that no Japanese students have ever had a crazy frat party before?

no. but the way they represent nudity in this anime makes me think they don't understand the concept.
It's not something you do because you're proud(which is what they do in grand blue)
It's something people do because they are SHAMELESS, which getting inebriated incites the more you drink.
Sep 1, 2018 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
Bourmegar said:
Grand Blue takes place in a University which is a big difference

Not really.

I just mentioned that this is actually common for highschool students as WELL as college students..

It's just more common a topic in movies/media here for college students. it actually makes a major difference in someone's outcome in life if they indulge too much in such activities during college. That's the only difference. lol
Sep 1, 2018 3:42 PM

Aug 2017
jarring said:
and I mean specifically with the excessive drinking while still in school as well as getting naked.

Is that what you think about when you think about Americans?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2018 3:44 PM

Oct 2015
Im pretty sure most colleges are like this no matter where you go.

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Sep 1, 2018 3:45 PM

Jan 2013
assyrian said:
jarring said:

When I think about Americans I think about fat people eating their tenth large burger for breakfast. Am I wrong?
Sep 1, 2018 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
assyrian said:
jarring said:

As an American, no. Lol. I don't generalize an entire population.

But I won't deny the fact shit like that is common due to having a fair amount of experience in drunk nudity. It's not something I'm proud to admit.
Also just being plain nudists is different. When you associate drinking with nudity it seems like it should be at least accurate enough to represent the fact that it's a shameless act.

Seems like even Japan should be aware of that.
Sep 1, 2018 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
PraetorPat said:

I have a hard time believing Japanese University is like that. lol
Sep 1, 2018 3:52 PM

Oct 2015
jarring said:
PraetorPat said:

I have a hard time believing Japanese University is like that. lol

i had to look it up and this seemed appropriate

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Sep 1, 2018 3:56 PM

Aug 2017
Klad said:
assyrian said:

When I think about Americans I think about fat people eating their tenth large burger for breakfast. Am I wrong?

The next question is this: can you see fat people eating burgers in Grand Blue
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2018 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
also if anyone is confused what shameless actually means.

it doesn't equal pride.

it means like.. flicking a cigarette butt out your window...

basically all these things that Japan is obviously NOT at ALL. like they go through many extremes to be very polite and respectful.

It's the opposite of that, it's being obnoxious, not caring for your own and others well-being. Just not giving a flying fuck about anything.

It's like being radically right and believing there is no harm in wearing your birthday suit in public despite causing a commotion just for the sake of "free will".
Sep 1, 2018 3:58 PM

Jan 2013
assyrian said:
Klad said:

The next question is this: can you see fat people eating burgers in Grand Blue
... No? I was genuinely trying to get an answer out of you. You didn't answer my question damn
Sep 1, 2018 3:58 PM

Aug 2017
jarring said:

it doesn't equal pride.

basically all these things that Japan is obviously NOT at ALL. like they go through many extremes to be very polite and respectful.

It's the opposite of that, it's being obnoxious, not caring for your own and others well-being. Just not giving a flying fuck about anything.

It's like being radically right and believing there is no harm in wearing your birthday suit in public despite causing a commotion just for the sake of "free will".

You are looking into this too deeply. Its just a comedy anime
Sep 1, 2018 4:02 PM

Aug 2015
So are you implying that American culture is being shameless and drinking? That's interesting)
Sep 1, 2018 4:03 PM

Feb 2013
japanese nudity was very common pre meiji restoration and still lingers in modern culture such as grand blue
Sep 1, 2018 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
assyrian said:
jarring said:

it doesn't equal pride.

You are looking into this too deeply. Its just a comedy anime

yeah i know, i don't expect it to reflect real life...just felt i had to mention it cuz it was bugging me.
Streaking is obnoxious and shameless.
I've had friends that actually did this kind of like in the show, but I equate it more to just them being straight up nudists than it having anything to do with alcohol. they didn't need to be drunk. just people that dgaf about what people think wanting to feel the air on their birthday suit just like a toddler who fights clothes always taking them off whenever they can.
Sep 1, 2018 5:05 PM
Aug 2018
jarring said:

it doesn't equal pride.

That may be Japan as a whole but the Yakuza exist and they can be rude/obnoxious when they want to be (usually the lower-ranking members). Also I'm sure some non-Yakuza Japanese have their moments, it's just human nature.

That said I guess their society stresses that kind of politeness (I'm guessing it ties into the whole "face"/respect thing) on average more than American society does. Which can have its benefits obviously, but disadvantages as well.

Also: ITT I learned all Americans are drunks and nudists.
Sep 1, 2018 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
hadapa said:
jarring said:

it doesn't equal pride.

That may be Japan as a whole but the Yakuza exist and they can be rude/obnoxious when they want to be (usually the lower-ranking members). Also I'm sure some non-Yakuza Japanese have their moments, it's just human nature.

That said I guess their society stresses that kind of politeness (I'm guessing it ties into the whole "face"/respect thing) on average more than American society does. Which can have its benefits obviously, but disadvantages as well.

Also: ITT I learned all Americans are drunks and nudists.

HEYYY just cuz i had crazy friends doesn't mean everyone here is the same way.
also i never said whether or not i ever participated so.
Sep 1, 2018 5:27 PM

Jan 2018
Oh trying to link anime with western culture.
Sep 1, 2018 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
hazecloud said:
Oh trying to link anime with western culture.

well shit, banana fish is set in america, and apparently we still have mafia with child prostitution rings.
nioce
Sep 1, 2018 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
actually i don't think we ever did.
that was england.

the mafia here only ever dealt in alcohol and drugs.
Sep 1, 2018 5:53 PM

Aug 2018
From what I'm reading, it seems like you think Japan is some sort of utopia, when it's not.
It's not a uniformed country. There is intellectual and cultural diversity among the folks in the land of the rising sun.
Sep 1, 2018 5:55 PM

Dec 2017
let's just rewind back and say that one of the first anime "astro boy" imitated american culture. it's better off when japan was isolated, way before those 'muricans invaded them with trading and affected them
Sep 1, 2018 6:08 PM

Apr 2015
No.
The world doesn't revolve around America, mate.
Sep 1, 2018 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
uninstallthegame said:
let's just rewind back and say that one of the first anime "astro boy" imitated american culture. it's better off when japan was isolated, way before those 'muricans invaded them with trading and affected them

WWII was tragic. Information is... important.
Back in the day the armies knew exactly what they were fighting for almost 100% of the time. but now... there's always a chain of command, and what we're actually told by the media is always contrived garbage.
Also i don't think they were completely "isolated" as you say.

Memory management is a bitch though. Have you heard of the Jeju Uprising? That's some shit.
Sep 1, 2018 6:25 PM

Dec 2017
jarring said:
uninstallthegame said:

Back in the day the armies knew exactly what they were fighting for almost 100% of the time. but now... there's always a chain of command, and what we're actually told by the media is always contrived garbage.

Memory management is a bitch though. Have you heard of the Jeju Uprising? That's some shit.

i was talking about this and this, not ww2 events. and it was a joke, we're talking about anime here, right?
Sep 1, 2018 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
uninstallthegame said:
jarring said:

i was talking about this and this, not ww2 events. and it was a joke, we're talking about anime here, right?

For some reason i thought you were talking about WWII.
they were apparently isolated for a long time though. didn't realize it was over 200 years. jeez.
But really the subject has passed.

I would like to know what kind of inspiration was behind grand blue though. like with the all drunk nudity thing in particular.

It's not like streaking is strictly american
but it doesn't help they make those guys in grand blue look especially foreign(not japanese). i mean like with their facial structure.. pronounced jawline and chin, etc. among some other things like the way they act lol.
Sep 1, 2018 8:38 PM

Mar 2017
jarring said:

Back in the day the armies knew exactly what they were fighting for almost 100% of the time.

Which history book taught you that?

Lanz said:
No.

Yes, but pop-culture wise, how many famous movies in the veins of American Pie and nearly all teen comedy/rom-com movies rife with heavy drinking and frat culture can you name from other countries?
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 1, 2018 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
Eanki said:
jarring said:

Back in the day the armies knew exactly what they were fighting for almost 100% of the time.

Which history book taught you that?

Lanz said:
No.

Yes, but pop-culture wise, how many famous movies in the veins of American Pie and nearly all teen comedy/rom-com movies rife with heavy drinking and frat culture can you name from other countries?

from what i remember, wars were pretty straight forward...also pretty sure a soldier of an "empire" knew exactly what they were doing. i don't remember reading anything about soldiers fighting for a cause they didn't know anything about.
Sep 1, 2018 10:01 PM

Apr 2015
Eanki said:

Lanz said:
No.

Never heard of American Pie. I don't know any American teen comedy/rom-com movies rife with heavy drinking and frat culture. Conversely, I do know the heavy drinking in universities, as I practice it myself. All of this is also true for all of my close friends. None of us care that much about 'American frat culture' while drinking raucously close to death, why would the Japanese be any different?

Heavy drinking etc. in universities exist everywhere, no reason to pull American pop culture into that.
Sep 1, 2018 10:04 PM

Dec 2017
Insulting? It's not that big of a deal man, it's just a comedy anime. Besides, pretty sure drinking and going wild isn't exclusive to American university culture.
Sep 1, 2018 10:08 PM

Mar 2017
jarring said:
from what i remember, wars were pretty straight forward...also pretty sure a soldier of an "empire" knew exactly what they were doing. i don't remember reading anything about soldiers fighting for a cause they didn't know anything about.

And you think there were no underlying political or economic reasons for the wars they fought hidden from them? It's not a new invention.

Take the Crusades. The Christian Jihad. The Holy War.

It was sold as a fight for the Holy Land against the Muslim invaders. But it comes with it expansionism, adventure, and plunder.

Let's start with religion. How about the fact that the Byzantine Empire, the one that called for their "aid" in desperation is also the place for the Eastern Orthodox Church, one of Christianity's larger churches/sects next to Roman Catholic Church? Ever thought about the implications of religious power struggles in that that may have played in Rome/Vatican's decision to launch/promote the crusade? Considering that the Byzantine Iconoclasm was said to have played a major part in splintering Christianity into separate sects: the Catholic Church based in Rome and the Eastern Orthodox Church in Constantinople, and that Byzantine Emperor Alexius Comnenus added the inducement of reunifying the recently severed Eastern and Western Churches in his plea for aid. Who do you think is the more favorable party to come out should reunification occur? Certainly not the one who called for aid and the one whose lands are being ravaged.

Then we have the Truce of God, the Catholic Church's attempt to limit warfare within Christian nations in Western Europe. To Pope Urban, the crusade was a chance to end all wars in which Christian fought Christian and deflect Western European militarism towards Muslims in the East.

There were political forces at work too. The Crusades were tied to the Investiture Controversy, the struggle for power between the rising authority of the Pope and the traditional ruling political system of the day. From the papal perspective, the kings of Europe had long intruded upon the sacred right of the Pope to run his own business. In calling the First Crusade, Urban II shifted the theater of action in this conflict to an arena where medieval kings had traditionally reigned supreme, the battlefield. Urban usurped the prerogative of secular rulers to declare an enemy and muster troops for battle.

Economically, there were the Venetians. During the Fourth Crusade, the crusaders were sent by ship from the port of Venice, a major power in those waters.

Although intended to regain the Holy Land from the Muslims by way of Egypt, the crusade was hijacked by the Venetians and directed against the Christian cities of Zara and then Constantinople, which offered a softer target and richer pickings. Zara, one of Venice's subject states on the eastern shore of the Adriatic Sea, had recently revolted from the city's maritime empire and, to avoid Venetian reprisal, the people of Zara had delivered their city into the Pope's embrace. Zara was now one of the Papal States, an currently under construction by the Roman Church.

In exchange for cash, the Venetians contracted with the crusaders to stop in at Zara on their way and force it back under Venice's control.

[...]

There the crusaders came upon a Byzantine exile, a pretender to the throne who had recently been exiled from Byzantium and who offered them a substantial sum if they would put him on the throne. With the sanction of the Venetians who saw nothing but advantage in causing turmoil in Byzantium (their trading rival), the crusaders were diverted again. This time they headed in the direction of Constantinople.

[...]

Constantinople was taken, the Emperor deposed, and Baldwin of Flanders was set up in his place. The Sack of Constantinople in 1204 lasted three days. The great library there was destroyed when the crusaders ransacked it, then stabled their horses there. Ancient learning and literature was lost in that catastrophe, almost certainly including the complete works of ancient authors whose writings now exist only in tattered fragments. Some were entirely lost. The victorious crusaders amused themselves in the usual way, even though this was the capital of Christendom. As well as the standard bout of destruction, the men of the cross desecrated imperial tombs, plundered churches, stole holy relics, wrecked houses, vandalised libraries, destroyed whatever loot they could not carry, raped nuns, and murdered at will. They also set a prostitute on the patriarch's throne in Sancta Sophia, the Church of the Holy Wisdom, the greatest Church in Christendom. Later a Latin (i.e. Roman Catholic) patriarch was installed, and the Venetians shipped off the remaining treasures to their own city, where some of them remain to this day.

Do you think the common soldiery knows and understands all these ramifications?

The past is overly romanticized.
EankiSep 1, 2018 10:12 PM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 1, 2018 10:08 PM
Jul 2018
Lanz said:
Eanki said:

Never heard of American Pie. I don't know any American teen comedy/rom-com movies rife with heavy drinking and frat culture. Conversely, I do know the heavy drinking in universities, as I practice it myself. All of this is also true for all of my close friends. None of us care that much about 'American frat culture' while drinking raucously close to death, why would the Japanese be any different?

Heavy drinking etc. in universities exist everywhere, no reason to pull American pop culture into that.

he makes a fair point though.
everyone knows that "drinking alcohol" is universal

but there are MANY american movies about frat culture.

Animal House is probably one of the most famous ones and is a classic example.
shit it's from 1978! I haven't seen it in awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is streaking in this movie. I know for a fact there are plenty of "frat party" teen movies with streaking in it.

if you didn't know streaking is getting really drunk and running around butt ass naked.

there are a SHITLOAD of these movies. American Pie is just one of them.
Sep 1, 2018 10:11 PM

Feb 2018
Are you claiming that students getting black out drunk and stripping is an American thing ????
Sep 1, 2018 10:12 PM

Nov 2017
culture? which culture? if you're talking about a group of university student everydays life, so your question is meaningless.
Now Loading.....
Sep 1, 2018 10:15 PM

Dec 2017
American culture? They would be crying about their loan debts lmao sobs
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 1, 2018 10:18 PM

Apr 2015
jarring said:
Lanz said:

shit it's from 1978! I haven't seen it in awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is streaking in this movie. I know for a fact there are plenty of "frat party" teen movies with streaking in it.

if you didn't know streaking is getting really drunk and running around butt ass naked.

Well, good for you. Never heard of Animal House neither.

Of course drinking is universal, but I'd say that the antics in Grand Blue are quite universal too. It's perfectly relatable to me, minus maybe the stripping. Out of the behaviour shown in Grand Blue what exactly are you claiming as not universal/exclusive to American frat culture? Stripping? That's extremely precarious, IMO.
Sep 1, 2018 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
Eanki said:
jarring said:

And you think there were no underlying political or economic reasons for the wars they fought hidden from them? It's not a new invention.

Take the Crusades. The Christian Jihad. The Holy War.

It was sold as a fight for the Holy Land against the Muslim invaders. But it comes with it expansionism, adventure, and plunder.

Let's start with religion. How about the fact that the Byzantine Empire, the one that called for their "aid" in desperation is also the place for the Eastern Orthodox Church, one of Christianity's larger churches/sects next to Roman Catholic Church? Ever thought about the implications of religious power struggles in that that may have played in Rome/Vatican's decision to launch/promote the crusade? Considering that the Byzantine Iconoclasm was said to have played a major part in splintering Christianity into separate sects: the Catholic Church based in Rome and the Eastern Orthodox Church in Constantinople.

Then we have the Truce of God, the Catholic Church's attempt to limit warfare within Christian nations in Western Europe. To Pope Urban, that was a chance to end all wars in which Christian fought Christian and deflect Western European militarism towards Muslims in the East.

There were political forces at work too. The Crusades were tied to the Investiture Controversy, the struggle for power between the rising authority of the Pope and the traditional ruling political system of the day. From the papal perspective, the kings of Europe had long intruded upon the sacred right of the Pope to run his own business. In calling the First Crusade, Urban II shifted the theater of action in this conflict to an arena where medieval kings had traditionally reigned supreme, the battlefield. Urban usurped the prerogative of secular rulers to declare an enemy and muster troops for battle.

Economically, there were the Venetians. During the Fourth Crusade, the crusaders were sent by ship from the port of Venice, a major power in those waters.

Although intended to regain the Holy Land from the Muslims by way of Egypt, the crusade was hijacked by the Venetians and directed against the Christian cities of Zara and then Constantinople, which offered a softer target and richer pickings. Zara, one of Venice's subject states on the eastern shore of the Adriatic Sea, had recently revolted from the city's maritime empire and, to avoid Venetian reprisal, the people of Zara had delivered their city into the Pope's embrace. Zara was now one of the Papal States, an currently under construction by the Roman Church.

In exchange for cash, the Venetians contracted with the crusaders to stop in at Zara on their way and force it back under Venice's control.

[...]

There the crusaders came upon a Byzantine exile, a pretender to the throne who had recently been exiled from Byzantium and who offered them a substantial sum if they would put him on the throne. With the sanction of the Venetians who saw nothing but advantage in causing turmoil in Byzantium (their trading rival), the crusaders were diverted again. This time they headed in the direction of Constantinople.

[...]

Constantinople was taken, the Emperor deposed, and Baldwin of Flanders was set up in his place. The Sack of Constantinople in 1204 lasted three days. The great library there was destroyed when the crusaders ransacked it, then stabled their horses there. Ancient learning and literature was lost in that catastrophe, almost certainly including the complete works of ancient authors whose writings now exist only in tattered fragments. Some were entirely lost. The victorious crusaders amused themselves in the usual way, even though this was the capital of Christendom. As well as the standard bout of destruction, the men of the cross desecrated imperial tombs, plundered churches, stole holy relics, wrecked houses, vandalised libraries, destroyed whatever loot they could not carry, raped nuns, and murdered at will. They also set a prostitute on the patriarch's throne in Sancta Sophia, the Church of the Holy Wisdom, the greatest Church in Christendom. Later a Latin (i.e. Roman Catholic) patriarch was installed, and the Venetians shipped off the remaining treasures to their own city, where some of them remain to this day.

The past is overly romanticized.

I was just making a simple point, and it should be obvious to anyone. i never said it was "new" i mean i guess you thought i needed to be educated or something cuz i couldn't recall while thinking about something simple like soldiers fighting over land which was basically all it was. still is really but.. there's so much "bullshit" given by the media.
Sep 1, 2018 10:34 PM
Jun 2017
Isn't that just Frat in general, it the same everywhere really
Sep 1, 2018 10:36 PM
Jul 2018
Lanz said:
jarring said:

Well, good for you. Never heard of Animal House neither.

Of course drinking is universal, but I'd say that the antics in Grand Blue are quite universal too. It's perfectly relatable to me, minus maybe the stripping. Out of the behaviour shown in Grand Blue what exactly are you claiming as not universal/exclusive to American frat culture? Stripping? That's extremely precarious, IMO.

I guess since you've never heard of it, it doesn't matter.
Animal House movie:
Animal House anime:

getting drunk and stripping is universal as well i'm sure, but it sure does feel like it's imitating american culture for some reason.

Doesn't really matter or make a difference though. who cares.
here's a video of Will Ferrell getting drunk and naked(streaking) in the movie Old School
Sep 1, 2018 10:42 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not from America, but the college reality is similar to Grand Blue. There are no clubs, and people dont get naked, but some people attend just to drink, party and try to get laid. They give zero fucks about grades. Some dont even attend classes or study at all, they just try to cheat their way through. Maybe college is like this everywhere, or at least is at western/westernized countries.
Sep 1, 2018 10:55 PM

Mar 2015
it's not even american things, wtf OP?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 1, 2018 11:54 PM

Feb 2015
Are we still in the delusion that Japan is a very pure country where holding hands are prohibited until both party consented with their parents?

The whole gag/exaggeration portrayal of the characters who excessively drink gets diluted as it goes on, though in my opinion, it's not just US that have liquor store. Though, I find that it is a deconstruction of Japanese culture, not necessarily mean an imitation of western culture. Grand Blue, dives towards the taboo of not drinking but sexual preferences of characters, that had widely spread and contained our society.
Sep 2, 2018 1:03 AM
May 2015
I think whether East or West, college students are young and have get-togethers and can get excited and do fun things.

Also, Animal House is forty years old. It's still fairly enjoyable, but it's clearly a product of its time.
Sep 2, 2018 1:07 AM
Jul 2018
Haneken2086 said:
I think whether East or West, college students are young and have get-togethers and can get excited and do fun things.

Also, Animal House is forty years old. It's still fairly enjoyable, but it's clearly a product of its time.

what you mean product of its time?
There have been a lot of movies just like it since then. and they are still coming out.
Sep 2, 2018 1:14 AM

Jan 2014
The short and definite answer: No.
The long answer: Who even cares???
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Sep 2, 2018 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
AstZero said:

thanks, was really hoping for an authority on the subject to come and help us all out.
Sep 2, 2018 1:25 AM

Jan 2014
jarring said:
AstZero said:

thanks, was really hoping for an authority on the subject to come and help us all out.

You're welcome buddy. I'll be here any day of the week if you need expert answers and advice on other subjects and topics.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

27 by Eleben »»
4 minutes ago

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - Yesterday

22 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - Today

33 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
42 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

110 by Ade117 »»
43 minutes ago

» How did you get into anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Cudlyyy - Sep 28, 2023

116 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.