Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 20, 2018 2:13 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Makoto Yukimura's action adventure manga Vinland Saga revealed the first key visual (pictured) and main staff members on Monday. Produced by Wit Studio, the series will premiere in 2019. Amazon's Prime Video platform will also stream the anime exclusively in Japan and overseas.

Staff
Director: Shuuhei Yabuta (Inuyashiki)
Series Composition: Hiroshi Seko (Banana Fish)
Script: Hiroshi Seko, Kenta Ihara (Youjo Senki)
Character Design: Takahiko Abiru (Hunter x Hunter (2011) animation director)
Background Art: Bamboo
Special Effects: Mad Box
Production: Vinland Saga Production Committee

The viking-themed manga originally launched in Weekly Shounen Magazine in April 2005 before switching to the monthly Afternoon magazine in December 2005. Kodansha plans to publish the 21st compiled volume on Thursday. Vinland Saga has a cumulative 5 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

Kodansha Comics USA has been publishing the series in English in 2-in-1 omnibus format since October 2013, and released the tenth volume on June 5, which covers volumes 19 and 20. The manga has also been localized in multiple foreign languages, including Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, and French.

Vinland Saga won the Grand Prize in the manga division at the 13th Japan Media Arts Festival Awards in 2009, and the 36th Kodansha Manga Award for Best General Manga in 2012.

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotDec 28, 2019 10:24 PM

Aug 20, 2018 2:18 AM

Jul 2015
so much hype for this adaptation

2019 already looks great with Vinland Saga and Yakusoku no Neverland
Aug 20, 2018 2:28 AM

May 2018
2019 Anime sure are interesting. Looking forward to these Anime's
Aug 20, 2018 2:42 AM

Jun 2014
2019 is looking a lot better than 2018 already.

Here's an illustration from the anime character designer. It looks amazing.

https://twitter.com/mountful/status/1031473192831877120
:3
Aug 20, 2018 2:49 AM
Jan 2016
So the "accidental leak" about the staff is accurate. Not good. I was hoping for more convincing staff.

alpha_shadow said:

We will see if it translates well to the screen & to the (presumably) CGI design.

tragedydesu said:

Oh, yeah, that Neverland thing. I am more convinced with that one than this, though I want this one to be great more than the other.
Aug 20, 2018 2:57 AM

Jun 2014
TheServant said:
So the "accidental leak" about the staff is accurate. Not good. I was hoping for more convincing staff.

alpha_shadow said:

We will see if it translates well to the screen & to the (presumably) CGI design.

tragedydesu said:

Oh, yeah, that Neverland thing. I am more convinced with that one than this, though I want this one to be great more than the other.

What CG design? Don't you see the anime visual? It's not CG.

Higher quality visual.

Aug 20, 2018 3:02 AM
Jan 2016
alpha_shadow said:

Higher quality visual.

If we consider the director's track record, it's not that far fetched to presume this anime will have more CGI than the usual anime.

And yes, I have seen the key visual. Have you seen the key visual of Inuyashiki?

Thank you for the higher res key visual.
Aug 20, 2018 3:15 AM

Jun 2014
TheServant said:
alpha_shadow said:

Higher quality visual.

If we consider the director's track record, it's not that far fetched to presume this anime will have more CGI than the usual anime.

And yes, I have seen the key visual. Have you seen the key visual of Inuyashiki?

Thank you for the higher res key visual.

That's just a presumption. Inuyashiki had robots in it and it was from a different studio and staff. It's most likely going to be made in a similar way to other WIT anime.
Aug 20, 2018 3:31 AM
Jan 2016
alpha_shadow said:
That's just a presumption. Inuyashiki had robots in it and it was from a different studio and staff. It's most likely going to be made in a similar way to other WIT anime.

So you do not care about track record? That's unfortunate. You should care more about it. And no, "Inuyashiki had robots" is not an argument. Because CGI was being used even outside the robot things.
But you know what, I can see where you're coming from. It's indeed animated by Studio WIT, so there's also a chance of this anime not having too much CGI. Just remember that even MAPPA, a studio that usually does not use CGI that much, used so much CGI when the director was him.
Aug 20, 2018 3:37 AM

Apr 2017
Wish it'll be better than Planetes since how distinct and stellar the rough gritty sketch especially the Prologue Arc...

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 20, 2018 3:41 AM

Apr 2017
alpha_shadow said:
TheServant said:

Higher quality visual.

TWIN ENGINE is such a real deal.... Along with Dororo reboot

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 20, 2018 3:45 AM

Dec 2015
Ah...there goes my hope for this anime...

alpha_shadow said:
You wouldn't hire a guy -who's main experience is directing CGI- as a director for your anime unless you planned to use CGI in the first place. Inuyashiki is the proof of that.

It is VERY unfortunate, as I, too, was hoping we'd get some amazing animation and background art from Wit; something that would do the manga's art (of which I've heard a lot of great things about) justice, but I guess Wit is going down the CGI road.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 20, 2018 3:47 AM

Jun 2014
TheServant said:
alpha_shadow said:

So you do not care about track record? That's unfortunate. You should care more about it. And no, "Inuyashiki had robots" is not an argument. Because CGI was being used even outside the robot things.
But you know what, I can see where you're coming from. It's indeed animated by Studio WIT, so there's also a chance of this anime not having too much CGI. Just remember that even MAPPA, a studio that usually does not use CGI that much, used so much CGI when the director was him.

Yeah, don't just assume stuff about me. I don't need your advice. I accidentally unblocked some people on MAL and now I'm going to have to fix that mistake.
Aug 20, 2018 3:56 AM

Jun 2014
joe_g7 said:

alpha_shadow said:
You wouldn't hire a guy -who's main experience is directing CGI- as a director for your anime unless you planned to use CGI in the first place. Inuyashiki is the proof of that.

It is VERY unfortunate, as I, too, was hoping we'd get some amazing animation and background art from Wit; something that would do the manga's art (of which I've heard a lot of great things about) justice, but I guess Wit is going down the CGI road.

So you'll jump to conclusions before we even have any actual proper anime material released. You don't even read the manga and you're talking about WIT not doing the art justice, when you don't even know what the art looks like. The studio in charge of backgrounds is really solid. Well here's another mistake I need to fix.
Aug 20, 2018 4:03 AM
Jan 2016
alpha_shadow said:
Yeah, don't just assume stuff about me. I don't need your advice. I accidentally unblocked some people on MAL and now I'm going to have to fix that mistake.

So you actually care about track record? That's good. Then why did you say,"That's just a presumption," about my statement even though it's based on the director's track record?
And I did not know you can block users in MAL. How can I do that? That might be useful.

alpha_shadow said:
So you'll jump to conclusions before we even have any actual proper anime material released. You don't even read the manga and you're talking about WIT not doing the art justice, when you don't even know what the art looks like. The studio in charge of backgrounds is really solid. Well here's another mistake I need to fix.

Well, you're jumping into conclusion too by saying this anime will not have CGI. So, we're all jumping into conclusion here, to be fair.
Oh, & please do not double post. Thank you.

EDIT: Adding another reply.
AServantAug 20, 2018 4:06 AM
Aug 20, 2018 4:08 AM

Jul 2013
Lol at some people expecting this to be free of CG when large scale battle is a constant in this series. This will have CG for sure especially for faraway battles and the mobs stuff in the background, but it wont be entirely made out of CG either.

To clarify, the CG will be done by Mad Box. They did the CG in SnK which is pretty decently used aside from the infamous Colossal Titan in S2 that truthfully has its own upside (those dynamic shots) and downside (well, uh, it's sticking out like a sore thumb CG) to it.

joe_g7 said:

alpha_shadow said:

Background art will be done by Bamboo which is pretty great at what they do. CG or not CG will have nothing to do with that. Considering this is WIT Studio and Abiru is doing the char design who presumably will also be the chief animation director, you'll most likely be getting some of those amazing animation too.

But let's be honest here, you cant just decide to adapt something like Vinland Saga into a TV series and hope to escape the use of CG here and there. That's for something receiving the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs treatment.
EasyGo-erAug 20, 2018 4:20 AM

Aug 20, 2018 4:10 AM

Dec 2015
@alpha_shadow Really? You've already decided that the anime is gonna be made similarly to other Wit Studio projects and that the background art is going to be solid just because you saw a single key visual? And I'm the one "jumping to conclusions"??
Aug 20, 2018 4:25 AM

May 2015
joe_g7 said:
@alpha_shadow Really? You've already decided that the anime is gonna be made similarly to other Wit Studio projects and that the background art is going to be solid just because you saw a single key visual? And I'm the one "jumping to conclusions"??

Ok, but that just means that both of you are doing the same thing.

Aug 20, 2018 4:31 AM

Dec 2015
@EasyGo-er Thank you for the civilized response. Certain people could learn something from you.
But on the topic at hand: I can't really say much. I would honestly love nothing more than to be proven wrong in my assumptions, and you to be proven right. I really hope they'll only use CGI for larger conflicts. I just don't want Inuyashiki all over again. I dropped that show on ep 1 because of the overuse of the CGI, and now the same director is being assigned to an anime I was very excited about. It's honestly worrying.

@TsukuyomiREKT Basically, yeah. But at least I'm not being a hypocrite about it.
Aug 20, 2018 4:46 AM
Jul 2015
Does anybody know if they announce if/to which amount it will be CGI before the the anime releases or will we not know until then?
Aug 20, 2018 4:58 AM

Feb 2011
Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI Please don't be CGI
Aug 20, 2018 5:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Its a given that there's going to have CG but it dont think its going to be too much like everyone is scared of. I'm sure there will be a good balance.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 20, 2018 5:25 AM

Jul 2013
joe_g7 said:
@EasyGo-er Thank you for the civilized response. Certain people could learn something from you.
But on the topic at hand: I can't really say much. I would honestly love nothing more than to be proven wrong in my assumptions, and you to be proven right. I really hope they'll only use CGI for larger conflicts. I just don't want Inuyashiki all over again. I dropped that show on ep 1 because of the overuse of the CGI, and now the same director is being assigned to an anime I was very excited about. It's honestly worrying.

Glad that my comment didnt come off as rude or something. You're welcome. :)
Well, guess nothing we can do aside from hoping for the best for now.

Cangox said:
Does anybody know if they announce if/to which amount it will be CGI before the the anime releases or will we not know until then?

We'll have to wait for the first animated PV to see if it'll be entirely CG or not.
If the visual is anything to go by though, it'll most likely be hand-drawn with CG been used extensively for complicated stuff like the ships with their intricate designs, the horses and the mobs during big shots of large scale battles.

Aug 20, 2018 7:06 AM

Oct 2013
Hoping for less CG, more 2D. Like really really -- Fingers crossed. I hope they release the pv soon. So we could know how much CG is involve here...( ̄ω ̄)
Aug 20, 2018 9:25 AM

Oct 2010
I think the pattern is that the more legendary the source material, the more crappy stop-motion CGI will be used, so we can expect this one to maybe be a bit better than 12-fps-Berserk, possibly.
Aug 20, 2018 10:03 AM

Oct 2017
joe_g7 said:

@TsukuyomiREKT Basically, yeah. But at least I'm not being a hypocrite about it.

Yeah I mean I am a huge fan of the manga but I am optimistically cautious at this phase. It was going to need CGI to adapt this and granted some anime have done a decent/good job incorporating CGI. Still most action seinens tend to get poor adaptations due to bad CGI so I get the fear.

Ultimately we are going to have to wait for the trailer but I think they have some good staff on it (background art for the Ancient Magus Bride was great). Ultimately I think the best thing to do is be cautious on it. If they can adapt it right it will be AOTY for 2019 or we get another Berserk/Kingdom situation.

Honestly I feel like if this doesn't work out we may have to wait until CGI gets better to see anything like this receive a proper adaptation.
BilboBaggins365Aug 20, 2018 10:10 AM
Aug 20, 2018 11:15 AM

Aug 2016
Seems 2019 will be the year for some other adaptation, but not Vinland Saga. I just lost part of my hope in this anime with Mad Box and Yabuta in the cast. Nevertheless, Sawano can still save it in the score
:v
Aug 20, 2018 11:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
One of my favorite manga ever. I really, really hope they go easy on the CGI to adapt this.

Why do so many action/adventure series get crappy CGI and then tearjerker drama series get wonderful hand drawn animation? What's the economics behind that?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 20, 2018 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
Can I just say that some people in the thread are jumping the gun over here to be honest? I mean I won't blame some of them for having pessimism but we don't really have much to base out of either to make such conclusions that they're going full CG.

Also, while yes the director is mostly CG when it comes to his track record, that doesn't say a lot. Inuyashiki only became CG in certain scenarios, and for the most part it was 2D. And even if Vinland Saga had that case chances are that they will most likely won't play a big role.

And yes just because it's a Key Visual that won't automatically mean that it will be 2D either, but again we don't have a lot of information to base conclusions out of or make a definitive by connecting the dots. At most it'll just be speculation until the actual product comes out.

joe_g7 said:

alpha_shadow said:

To be fairly honest that's more so implying that no studio is going through that transition phase, considering that we're going digital.

But to put something into perspective, once again Inuyashiki only relied on CG in certain parts, and as Alpha said it's under a different studio which they're not the best when it comes to resource in that department.

But yeah at the same time Inuyashiki used the parts in the action sequences which they're not really working very well in its favor. But keep in mind also that they're robots... as far as Vinland Saga goes... they're not robots. Chances are that they won't implement that to the characters themselves but rather the objects. And that's mostly speculation so take it as you will. I just wanted to add my two cents here.

With that being said though...

Despite my qualms with the staff since I don't like Inuyashiki at all (not from a production perspective but the story perspective is absolutely horrible) I will probably give it a shot. But I'm going to wait for the PVs and more details before making my conclusion out of it.
Aug 20, 2018 12:31 PM

May 2012
Even though I don't know anything about show, I love the cover picture and it also made by wit studio. So, it will be good for sure

alpha_shadow said:

Not sure about that

2018, we have attack on titan3, Banana fish, SAO 3, Jojo part 5, index 3 etc

It hard to beat

But 3 of those anime I mentioned will continue airing in 2019

Aug 20, 2018 1:29 PM

Mar 2015
What really bothers me, if they gonna use Nordic music or not. 'cause that music is superb.
Aug 20, 2018 6:25 PM

Dec 2015
@North514 I don't think anyone would ever want another Berserk 2016 ever again xD It would be a suicide for a studio to do something like that.

@Wasshio That's why I was excited in the first place about this anime. Wit is an amazing studio that can do amazing things with their anime, especially visually. But with that director...Sigh, I would rather be surprised with something good by expecting overuse of CGI, rather than be disappointed by something bad by hoping that they'll use minimal CGI. (Inuyashiki used CGI outside of action and robot scenes too, and that was only on episode 1, which is supposed to be the most polished in an anime.)

@thepath Careful when you quote or say anything that doesn't agree with his opinion, dude, or else:
alpha_shadow said:
I don't need your advice. I accidentally unblocked some people on MAL and now I'm going to have to fix that mistake.
Aug 20, 2018 9:56 PM

Oct 2017
joe_g7 said:
@North514 I don't think anyone would ever want another Berserk 2016 ever again xD It would be a suicide for a studio to do something like that.

@Wasshio That's why I was excited in the first place about this anime. Wit is an amazing studio that can do amazing things with their anime, especially visually. But with that director...Sigh, I would rather be surprised with something good by expecting overuse of CGI, rather than be disappointed by something bad by hoping that they'll use minimal CGI. (Inuyashiki used CGI outside of action and robot scenes too, and that was only on episode 1, which is supposed to be the most polished in an anime.)

@thepath Careful when you quote or say anything that doesn't agree with his opinion, dude, or else:
alpha_shadow said:
I don't need your advice. I accidentally unblocked some people on MAL and now I'm going to have to fix that mistake.

That would be the worst case scenario. Though like I said really I don't think any of us can make conclusions whether this is going to turn out good or not some positive aspects but some justified concerns. We really need a trailer to get an idea.
Aug 21, 2018 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
North514 said:
joe_g7 said:

That would be the worst case scenario. Though like I said really I don't think any of us can make conclusions whether this is going to turn out good or not some positive aspects but some justified concerns. We really need a trailer to get an idea.

Essentially this and well again we can just only be concerned but we can't really make a definitive conclusion out of the info. I mean expectations yeah, I get that. But I think in this particular scenario we just need to wait for a PV to come out.
Aug 21, 2018 12:40 PM

Jul 2013
there'll probs be CG but hopefully it doesn't ruin the anime too much
Aug 21, 2018 1:55 PM

Apr 2014
Keep in mind WIT's better staff are working on Attack on Titan s3 and Kabaneri movie. If this ends up with the Mahoutsukai no Yome team then there's definitely going to be a lot of CG because I don't think they're capable of handling all the intense battles.
Aug 21, 2018 3:24 PM

Aug 2016
thepath said:

alpha_shadow said:

Not sure about that

2018, we have attack on titan3, Banana fish, SAO 3, Jojo part 5, index 3 etc

It hard to beat

maybe u mean it will be EASY to beat thanks to those
Aug 22, 2018 12:57 AM

Jul 2014
Wait Vinland Saga is getting an anime!!! 0_0 I'm hyped. However, from being hurt so many times by seinen adaptations, I now have a fear badly drawn cg and butchered plot...T_T
Dear Wit Studio, please don't break even more my already broken heart

Aug 22, 2018 2:31 AM
Mar 2015
Z4k said:
Keep in mind WIT's better staff are working on Attack on Titan s3 and Kabaneri movie. If this ends up with the Mahoutsukai no Yome team then there's definitely going to be a lot of CG because I don't think they're capable of handling all the intense battles.

why do u think Mahoyome team = a lot of CG?
Are there a lot CG on Mahoyome?i barely even notice a single one.
Aug 22, 2018 2:42 AM

Apr 2014
edge13 said:
Z4k said:

why do u think Mahoyome team = a lot of CG?
Are there a lot CG on Mahoyome?i barely even notice a single one.

That's not what I meant. Mahoyome's animation was rather average and towards the end of the show they were starting to struggle to finish it. I don't think they're capable of using 2D animation for the large scale battles involving ships and lots of mob characters moving around on screen without relying on CGI. The fact that they've brought a director who specializes in CGI means there's going to be plenty of that.

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
2 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
5 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.