Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 12:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That Tooni Hiyori guy introduced himself as Ikuya's "best friend" but I don't like his attitude much. It's cool that Makoto decided to step up to race against him.

He also reveals about another oxygen deprivation incident that Ikuya had in America. I look forward to him racing against Haru in the future. Really wish someone would shut Hiyori's
mouth.

Aug 8, 2018 2:44 AM

Nov 2007
3 guys visiting Uchiyama-san's character. Meeting that swimmer who red hair argued before.

Kimura-san's character helping out avoiding again.

So he was entrusted by brother because he was friend in the US, and he briefly heard of them before.

High school groups going camp w. shark team.

Hosoya-san's character is getting better to the extend that he can swim again.

Uchiyama-san's character saw them talking.

They did, but he doesn't allow and told them that he dwell again in the US. He said main guy brings misfortune to people around him. He has idea why he said so.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 8, 2018 8:31 AM

Nov 2012
this episode was super disappointing and basically sums up why this season is going in the wrong direction in my opinion.
i don't give a FUCK about ikuya and his super obsessive boyfriend but it looks like that's all this season is going to focus on, and that's all the characters seem to be able to think about too. ikuya, ikuya, ikuya. god, i don't give a shit. i just wanted the usual group of (former) iwatobi and samezuka boys having a good time, and not a bunch of new characters i couldn't care less about.
Aug 9, 2018 7:26 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hiyori pisses me off so much, lol. I understand that he cares about Ikuya, but I feel like part of him being so adamant about not letting the trip reunite with Ikuya is because Hiyori is insecure; reiterating that he is Ikuya's best friend. He seems like he's almost afraid that his position as the person who's closest to Ikuya will be taken away. Which pisses me off even more, because then it'd mean that he doesn't fully care about Ikuya, but about himself. Yes, Ikuya knows what Hiyori is doing, but you'd have to wonder, without Hiyori, Ikuya would not completely dismiss meeting the trio. I think that Ikuya ultimately needs to have a talk with them for closure, whether the result of the meeting.

Hiyori is just an instigator for drama...drama that I don't care for. I thought that this season would be a better watch since the director changed, but nah, the drama is still so frustrating to watch. It's not like I don't ever enjoy drama, it's just that the drama in Free always seems too much. I have a friend who likes the drama though, and that's why she likes Hiyori. Unfortunately, the drama in this franchise has always seemed like a miss for me. Otherwise, I think there are really nice moments throughout the franchise.

Also who the fk does Hiyori think he is telling Haru that whoever Haru swims with suffers. What a rude asshole. I'm quite indifferent to Haru, but damn, Hiyori was out of line. He says they don't know Ikuya anymore, but who is he to give a nasty comment to someone he doesn't even personally know? His conclusion isn't wrong, but it's not Haru who caused suffering every time.
Aug 18, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2010
I don't even get why the hell Haru and the rest even give a damn about Hiyori - they know where Ikuya is, why not just go to him, ignore the crazy megane guy and talk to your former friend? Like geez, you're not highschool kids anymore :x
Aug 22, 2018 9:26 AM

Jan 2013
this guy with glasses is a trash sorry not sorry

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 7, 2018 7:15 AM

Jun 2017
Honestly, I don't even know why they give a fuck about what Hiyori is saying, I would have just visited Ikuya anyway, why does that four eyed bastard feels like he has the right to Ikuya. Fuck him, I wouldn't listen to him.

I am proud of my boy Makoto to stepping up against this four eyed weirdo.
Hiyori is like that possessive boyfriend. GAWD
Dec 7, 2018 10:49 PM

Aug 2015
Is this show capable of having any character dynamic that differs from the Rin-Sousuke duo? Ikuya and Hiyori are literally the same thing but dialed up to an 11. Really poorly written and unlikable characters.
Dec 16, 2018 5:37 AM

Aug 2017
Hiyori is an asshole lmao. He is more acting like a jerk rather than protecting Ikuya. So, Ikuya had another accident in USA. Also, props to Makoto for being a real bro.

This episode was a bit boring.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 6, 2019 9:27 PM

Apr 2016
When Makoto and Hiyori praised each other after their race, and then Makoto offered his hand, it was rude of Hiyori to not return the handshake ;-------; And it was awfully rude of Hiyori to say that everyone Haru swims with end up suffering somehow. >< I wanted to slap Hiyori -______- It's not Haru's fault at all.

Regarding Rin, Rin was upset at himself for not defeating Haru after training in Australia, but Haru didn't want to compete anyway. And swimming with his elementary teammates was what made Rin happy again, and he can now practice swimming with a smile. Meanwhile, Ikuya could look at Haru as an inspiration to freestyle, but Ikuya announced that he wanted to swim like Haru, and Ikuya was then upset at Haru for suddenly leaving the swim club. ._______. I know it appears irresponsible for Haru to leave the swim club without an explanation, but Haru was blaming himself at the time at how devastated Rin was and that Rin declared he would stop swimming. Also, Haru isn't responsible for anyone who chooses to swim or not LOL. If people get influenced by Haru, they can find their own path to swimming too. Makoto was so used to being with Haru, but from what we saw in the second season, Makoto recognized his dream to be a swimming coach and he goes to a different university and lives separate from Haru LOL.

So, it's not fair for Hiyori to comment about Haru when Hiyori doesn't know the full story. Rin and Haru are still friends now, and Makoto has become more independent. Ikuya needs to talk with his middle school friends by himself, and they all need to handle their past privately. Hiyori said Ikuya shouldn't be bothered since Ikuya is busy training, but Ikuya is affected by his past LOL, so ignoring the past won't solve anything either!

Ikuya reading The Little Mermaid and Hiyori knowing that the story is Ikuya's favourite... I think we may see the story being referenced again. The mermaid had excruciating pain with each step she took, as if knives were stabbing her legs, which led Ikuya to wonder what he gained. There's a parallel here because the mermaid gave up her voice and endured pain to achieve human legs and ultimately, life in the human world. Ikuya gave up relays, and he practiced very hard to the point where he even experienced oxygen deprivation, and he ultimately became a faster swimmer in individual medleys. Yet, Ikuya is now wondering if his endurance and effort were worth it, in exchange for giving up on his teammates?

The fact that Ikuya saw his trio teammates and Hiyori chatting, but chose not to approach them shows that Ikuya isn't ready to resolve their past yet. Overall, Ikuya just needs the time to reflect, and the space to figure out how to approach his former teammates. Hiyori can't speak up for Ikuya forever.

LOL that even Misae (Kisumi’s senpai) calls her boyfriend, Terashima, by the nickname he doesn't like!! XD I think Terashima is fated to stay with the Archerfish of Naruto nickname :P And it's hilarious that there's now A Rat's Life 2 LOL!! In the Free! Take Your Marks movie (prequel of this season), Rin and Sousuke saw the first A Rat's Life movie together in theaters. It was so hilarious because Rin was crying when poor David-san revealed to his lover that they can't be together, because she hates rats and he himself is a rat xDD I like that we got reference from the previous film :P And Momo is going to reunite with Aoba Usami from Sofukan High School's swim team, whom he met in Free! Take Your Marks. Both Momo and Aoba adore the capybara plush toy, which Momo has now :P

Anyway, I want to learn about why Hiyori is so protective over Ikuya ;-----; Besides being Ikuya's best friend and being entrusted by Natsuya to take care of Ikuya, I think Hiyori may have his own reasons. Hiyori and Ikuya share a past we don't know of yet. Maybe Hiyori and Ikuya supported each other in America, and decided to go to Japan together?? Do Hiyori and Ikuya have a promise too lol?? 'Cause Hiyori seems passionate about keeping promises for some reason... .______.

Even though our middle school gang know where Ikuya goes to school, I don't think they have Ikuya's phone number or know where Ikuya's apartment is ;-----; Their only hope in seeing Ikuya is either through Terashima revealing their school’s swim schedule, or by visiting Ikuya's school. (The trio don’t know that Rin and Natsuya know each other yet. :P Otherwise, Rin may help the trio reunite with Ikuya through Natsuya.) I like the trio's courage to talk about their past, so that Ikuya and them can move on and be friends. Not everyone has the courage to apologize too, so I like that the trio plan on doing that. Ikuya would probably say he's not affected by the past, but we know he is lol.

On another note, I'm looking forward to seeing Iwatobi and Samezuka have their training camp together! :) It'll be fun to see Sousuke participate as an alumnus, and I'm happy he can swim again.

I think Seijuro may be supportive and/or help the middle school gang become friends again, since he blurted that friends and teams from the past can be your strength in the present :)) Ikuya won't stay protected under Hiyori's gaze forever, I know it <33
Cloe900311May 7, 2019 7:15 PM
Jun 17, 2019 1:33 PM

Jul 2016
Seriously, I sometimes "hate" how polite the japanese tend to be. There were three of them who just wanted to talk with Ikuya yet they acted in such passive way they let Hiyori convince them to basically fuck off. I mean, they could have easily avoided the stupid race and the unnecessary teen angst if they had just ignored the megane guy in those stairs.

Based on how the drama was handled, I must say this episode was a pretty mediocre one. To the point where the short segments focused on Samezuka and Iwatobi ended up being the best part of it.

Well, at least I'm a bit glad the next episode will be mostly focused on the training camp, which would mean less dumb teenage drama and possibly more characterization for some characters from Iwatobi and Samezuka.
Aug 30, 2019 1:15 AM

May 2016
This guy is seriously gay for Ikuya....
Sep 13, 2019 5:15 PM

Sep 2018
Hiyori acts like a jealous current girlfriend and Haruka is the ex-gf lol
Nov 20, 2019 8:12 PM

Jun 2014
I'd honestly like to strangle Hiyori right now. I was impressed at how Makoto challenged Hiyori to a race, which is something he wouldn't normally do, and despite how friendly Makoto was to him after losing to him, Hiyori said something really hurtful to Haru, and I can tell that Haru is probably going to let it get the better of him for a while.

Jul 30, 2021 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

-

This episode was alright, a few funny moments here and there but nothing too spectacular other than the fact that I have never disliked an anime character more than Hiyori. Actually, though, I rarely dislike characters, so the fact that I'm disliking *him* speaks volumes. 😂

Seriously, though... he's like a weird friendship gatekeeper (is that even a thing?) and it sucks that Ikuya hasn't seen how toxic he is to others, but I hope he does because I wouldn't be surprised if Hiyori ends up hurting him this season. 🤷🏽‍♀️ What he said to Haru was so fucked up, and honestly I feel sorry that he had to hear that, ugh. Hopefully he overcomes Hiyori's words. 🥺
Aug 16, 2021 2:43 PM
Sep 2018
Hiyori ?? that's not a best friend LOL, I hate him... anyway very good episode as usual :d
Apr 5, 2022 6:24 AM

Feb 2020
Another rather boring episode. This whole drama with Hiyori is so unnecessary in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of his character.
Jul 18, 2023 11:18 PM
Jul 2021
Hiyatori can you like STFU?!

We've all had a Hiyatori in our lives and argh just go away already Ikuya jealous boyfriend.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Aug 14, 2023 10:36 PM
May 2019
A new character got on my nerves, so much so I couldn't finish watching the series. If he was a minor character, didn't see him a lot. I would have been able to watch.. but I just couldn't keep going for this 3rd season

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2018

30 by wvni »»
Mar 12, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2018

64 by Dawizz »»
Jul 25, 2023 1:10 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2018

39 by Dawizz »»
Jul 22, 2023 1:25 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2018

44 by Dawizz »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:05 AM

» is Free! Dive to the Future worth completing?

momo_jan - Aug 15, 2021

13 by Dawizz »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.