Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2018 9:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode. The action was fast but thrilling as Lupin faces off against a mysterious individual dressed in red.

I have to admit the show does a neat job at building up suspense and mystery especially this episode with the notebook. Very intriguing.
May 22, 2018 12:13 PM

Jan 2012
Oh wow, I figured for sure Lupin would have foreseen Albert realizing he switched the gun out and had another idea in place(aside from the bomb), but no, the episode really ended with Albert seemingly winning. Well I guess this early on in the arc they needed to make him at least look like a real challenge for Lupin so I guess it makes sense. And to be fair Lupin seems just fine in the preview so maybe he did forsee things going like this afterall. But that's for next week, this week was another fun and engaging outing, sad death of the old cop with the instant memory aside. I'm right there with Goemon when it comes to cell phone ineptitude. XD Though I've still never actually owned one. His scene with the kids was pretty cute too. Still no signs of Fujiko or Zenigata, the latter at least is probably gonna get left out of this arc entirely if I had to guess. And uh...yeah, until next week!
May 22, 2018 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Another pretty solid episode. The first half was intense (not to mention the animations continued to impressed me) and at the end Lupin got outwitted was something awed me of course and making Albert very intriguing antagonist. And Goemon scenes were very amusing to watch. I also really liked some of the emotional music on this episode.

removed-userMay 22, 2018 1:47 PM
May 22, 2018 2:39 PM

Jan 2017
I watched a lot of Lupin (Not everything but almost) and it's the first time I ever see someone outsmart him. I both like and dislike it. I dislike it because it's not like Lupin to lose this way, but I like it because it sets Albert up as a very dangerous opponent.
*laughs in Dimple*
May 22, 2018 3:21 PM

Sep 2011
Such an intense episode! Great action scenes too.

I thought the old policeman with photographic memory would be their ally for this arc, he would be an asset for sure, but the poor man died.

Also I can't believe we have a canon gay couple in Lupin, I'm so glad. I knew the scene they shared on the previous episode wasn't casual, but I kept it to myself. It's a pity Albert is the antagonist.

Also as Jigen stated, Lupin got too reckless with the affair after he knew it was Albert behind it, he confronted him thinking he had the upper hand only to be utterly defeated this time, I can't believe he got shot for real and that he was even ready to kill Albert with a bomb.

Albert is becoming a pretty interesting character, I can't wait for the next episode!

Also I want to say that my favorite scene was Goemon struggling with his smartphone, it was so out of place with him, but we shortly learned that Lupin gave it to him, it was one of his most charming scenes ever and so really in character that I couldn't help smiling, the scene where he got help from some kids to open his message was precious too. Even the preview narrated by him was great, I just love Goemon.
May 22, 2018 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
TheDarkMGames said:
I watched a lot of Lupin (Not everything but almost) and it's the first time I ever see someone outsmart him. I both like and dislike it. I dislike it because it's not like Lupin to lose this way, but I like it because it sets Albert up as a very dangerous opponent.
Same, I didn't see it coming at all, but it makes things more interesting for sure
May 22, 2018 4:11 PM

Jan 2009
wow first time i saw Lupin got outsmarted by someone lol

TheDarkMGames said:

yep you beat me on saying that first lol
May 22, 2018 7:48 PM
Jun 2013
So.
We start with the photographic memory detective.
Then we get a masked two handed guy who uses his guns as melee weapons, too.
The old man dies.
Lupin has to meet his long time gay enemy.
And when he does, he gets o u t s m a r t e d and shot.
Also, Goemon has a smartphone.
He hates it. kuyashi

Idk. My mind's gonna explode if the whole thing gets better.
(seriously. I'm a total newbie in the Lupin world, so this is my first time seeing Lupin being "defeated". Of course he isn't dead, but still. Albert left an absurdly strong impression.)
May 22, 2018 9:26 PM

Oct 2009
ganomed said:
Is it just me or this new season of Lupin is not that good?
I'm a bit disappointed so far.

So far seems to just be you. I am loving this season so far.
May 22, 2018 10:01 PM

Mar 2013
I swear I never get tired of watching goemon try to understand technology. Dang finally someone who knows all of lupin's tricks before lupin even does them. so far every villian in this season seems to be able to outsmart lupin in someway.
May 23, 2018 12:06 AM
Nov 2017
ganomed said:
Just you. So it goes.
May 23, 2018 2:05 AM

Apr 2012
Ugh, just so many things happened, I'm still in shock x.x I'm always thirsty for getting to know more about Lupin's past and I think that's it, maybe this will be the time when we get the most information about his background ever haha (however, I don't think they will give us a lot of detail, anyway..). I liked the action and the car scenes, fun to watch as the usual. The old man dying thing was kinda too fast, but that's okay. Goemon having problems using a smartphone was just perfect, I couldn't ask for something better. Seeing Jigen getting worried for Lupin, argh, so cute. And now, omg, what about Albert? I'm dying to know more about him and his relation with Lupin. Just like everyone else, I was impressed to see that he is capable of outsmarting Lupin. Like, really, I didn't expect this u.u
We will have flashbacks next episode ~and so many other things~ I can't wait!
May 23, 2018 2:12 AM

Jun 2010
Every now and then, even Bugs Bunny gets outplayed.

Seeing Albert foresee every play Lupin had up his sleeve drives home just how much of threat he poses to him. Like others have said I don't think Lupin's been thwarted to this degree before, so it'll be interesting to see whether the writers will be able to keep up the momentum.

Next week it looks like we'll be getting a flashback Lupin and Albert's shared past, and perhaps an elaboration on their relationship to one another. Can't wait to see more šŸ˜ƒ.
May 23, 2018 12:58 PM

Apr 2014
The first arc was better.
May 23, 2018 5:39 PM

Feb 2015
Dan-Te said:
The first arc was better.

Well, this one is only two episodes in so far...

Kind of an unfair comparison. Imo this is shaping up to be even better.

Also, Lupin has been outsmarted many times in the past. Usually by Fujiko though.

ganomed said:

Definitely just you. This is easily shaping up to be one of the best and most consistent Lupin series yet. Honestly not sure how any seasoned fan could be disappointed (unless they’re the type that wants more episodic adventures).
May 23, 2018 7:43 PM

Feb 2015
That’s a pretty silly reason given old series used to set up and introduce new characters all the time, only to toss them aside after said episode was over. And besides, it’s obvious that Ami and Albert are mainstays, they’re just introducing them gradually and at different times rather than the assaulting of all the new characters in like the first three episodes like in part 4. Even if they weren’t going to be around the whole time, 5 episodes is more than enough to give them worthwhile presence. Also his monocle is cool af. And he’s always dabbled with current technology, even in part 4 he used it at times. It’s just modernizing and the series honestly kinda needed it because crime and heists in the 21st century are often digital in nature and the series couldn’t just keep ignoring the elephant in the room. I think they’ve done a fantastic job of not letting it overshadow his classical roots though.

Also: Ami > Rebecca (even though I like both)
May 23, 2018 10:00 PM
Oct 2017
The lack of Fujiko in this season has been enjoyable for me.
May 24, 2018 12:43 PM
May 2015
Albert makes his move. He is a wily adversary on par with Lupin. Of course, I felt Lupin was more carried away with rage than usual, even Jigen picked up on it.

I'm getting some distinct homo vibes from Lupin and Albert. Maybe they were lovers? If so, then this is the first time where Lupin is bisexual.

LOL Goemon not able to handle a phone, so anachronistic.
May 26, 2018 9:41 PM

Feb 2015
satsatsaturnalia said:

Not for ME. >:( I don't think we're getting nearly enough of her, and there's clearly a rift in her and Lupin's relationship that the season is establishing so enjoy the lack of presence while you can. Me, I'll be awaiting her triumphant return.
May 27, 2018 3:14 AM

Apr 2018
AnimEva said:
satsatsaturnalia said:

Not for ME. >:( I don't think we're getting nearly enough of her, and there's clearly a rift in her and Lupin's relationship that the season is establishing so enjoy the lack of presence while you can. Me, I'll be awaiting her triumphant return.

Me too... I am also wondering what would have happened between them that caused this rift. Hope there is a future arc related to those events.
May 27, 2018 5:41 AM

Jun 2010
AnimEva said:
satsatsaturnalia said:

Considering she's got second billing in the opening credits, the foreshadowing you've pointed out, and the ending credits being entirely from her perspective, I can only guess that the user is either delusional, or in denial of what's to come if they really don't like Fujiko.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the payoff to what the writers have been building up between Lupin and Fujiko. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer.
Mar 26, 2019 1:50 AM

Oct 2012
Ah photographic memory (shunkan kioku), reminds me of Megumi in Tantei Gakuen Q

Lol Goemon

Why Albert's voice is different for a moment?
Albert is just a disguise?

It's really unusual for Lupin to be tricked twice
"Signature removed"
Jul 13, 2019 2:29 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode! For once, Lupin got duped. It seems Albert maybe his partner in crime in the old days and knows every trick Lupin has.

I thought Albert was a character from Part 4 that got forgotten. He shares the same voice as the Count Earl in the Italian Game Movie (Tsuda Kenjiro).

I love how the series just naturally showed him that he's gay. They never made it a focal point of what makes him a villain. He's into guys, that's it. Nothing more and nothing else.

Any other woke Western creator would have made the whole show emphasizing Albert as being gay. That's why Japanese are mastermind when it comes to making great villain characters ^^

I lol'd at Goemon not being able to use a smartphone, yet Jigen seems to have a better grasp at it :P

And damn, that cracked screen. Glad they are kids there to help Goemon out!

I miss Fujiko and Zenigatta. Won't be surprised Zenigatta will make an appearance at the end while Fujiko may be the central character in the next arc.

It seems they are indeed doing arcs now, instead of stretching one character throughout all arcs like what they did with Rebecca in Part 4.

Can't wait! It seems we have a new set of Assassins this time around!
Aug 3, 2019 9:59 PM

Mar 2014
Wow it certainly looks like Lupin got outplayed here. No wonder he was dreading meeting this guy again.
Oct 24, 2019 3:26 PM
May 2019
Great episode. You'd think Lupin would have planned for being outplanned. Like Jugin stated, Lupin was hotter around the collar than usual, and we know how we don't think when we are angry. Albert is one evil man. I can't wait for this arc conclusion.
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Jan 10, 2022 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
Fayrin said:
TheDarkMGames said:
Same, I didn't see it coming at all, but it makes things more interesting for sure

ALbert does indeed appear to be somebody of note.
Mar 13, 2023 1:24 PM
Sep 2007
Whoa, Lupin got outsmarted by the new guy? Things are now getting difficult...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

22 by SleepingBear »»
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 8, 2018

44 by SleepingBear »»
Mar 27, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 11 Discussion

vigorousjammer - Aug 8, 2018

11 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 28, 2023 2:43 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

38 by OfficialGothBF »»
Jun 5, 2023 7:17 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

51 by OfficialGothBF »»
May 27, 2023 6:13 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.