Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 7, 2018 2:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
"I loved Donato" :o

What a chapter. The logic about ghouls too.
May 7, 2018 3:02 AM
Nov 2017
Somewhat boring chapter, though it was nice to see that Takizawa and Houji panel, and how he managed to win.
May 7, 2018 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
Incredible chapter. This is what I love the series for, the exploration and development of these brilliant characters.
May 7, 2018 3:14 AM

Dec 2015
Alright. We're done with both fights in the same chapter. Now maybe they can show us some more of Reporter Furuta >.>
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 7, 2018 3:18 AM

Dec 2017
How in the actual fuck can this chapter be called boring
May 7, 2018 3:39 AM

Jun 2011
Uta 100% not OEK of the past confirmed.
Next chapter, Clown's Banquet.
Will the remaining Clown's give up?
There are no reasons for them to fight anymore unless they want to see Furuta's plan to the end.
Thye could just stay passive.

Also, did he just summon a sword from a cross? How did he get that ability, it looked like something that was pulled from Night Watch fantasy novels. I'm pretty sure that is not how kagunes function.
CharlesMarlowMay 7, 2018 3:42 AM
May 7, 2018 4:04 AM

Feb 2014
wow didnt get to like Uta until this chapter!! I really like his relationship with Renji
May 7, 2018 4:25 AM

Aug 2016
the relationship of Uta and Yomo, Touka and Kaneki as the light in a world full of darkness, Takizawa reminiscing about Houji and lecturing Tomoe and finally Amon's realisation... pretty awesome chapter I think.
May 7, 2018 4:43 AM

Feb 2012
Where does Ishida plan to take Uta and Yomo thing, what's their deal. As past friends who then fell off, where can they go from here, if Uta drops all his shenanigans and they become full friends again then whats the deal with his "i can't lie with you, nor without you" tattoo.

The line for the next chapter about Clowns gives me hope there's more to this.

As for 2nd fight, really liked Amon's talk. I doubt Donato is done yet, but nice fight so far.
May 7, 2018 5:18 AM

Jul 2015
One of the greatest chapters along with 125 i agree.

First of all this chapter portrayed the friendship between Yomo,Uta and Itori.It really pleased me.Also Yomo mentioning Touka and Kaneki's child was so sweet.I hope they all receive a happy ending.

So it was also revealed that Houji let Takizawa kill himself.

Amon reminding Donato and also paralleling Kaneki's speech was great.Also he finally accepted that he loves Donato.

I guess next week we go back to Kaneki & Furuta.Guess the series is finally nearing it's end.

Full 5/5 chapter from me.

May 7, 2018 6:14 AM

Dec 2011
phenomenal chapter, absolutely fanstastic, one of the best chpaters of the whole series not just RE
May 7, 2018 6:45 AM

Oct 2017
I liked the Uta/Yomo moment.

I fucking hope donato didn’t go down from that attack. 3/5
May 7, 2018 8:38 AM

Oct 2017
This is like Naruto now where characters who did a lot of terrible shit just become friends again and don't get any punishment. Uta helped Furuta for ridiculous reasons and now he is a "bro" (before this it was Mutsuki).

In general Uta and Donato went out like bitches, damm. Horrible chapter
May 7, 2018 9:10 AM

Dec 2012
Good thing that three is back being friends again. I want to see Ken 7 Touka's child too, with both still alive.

And Amon, ugh, he loves the parent that raised him, but in a shock that parent is evil, he sure hates him, but still hesitating to kill him.
May 7, 2018 9:24 AM

Jan 2018
Great chapter once again.
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
May 7, 2018 9:34 AM

Jun 2011
To me it seems that the current story direction is the fault of Ishida's editors. Even :re must have been the result of his editors. I think that Ishida never had a plan to make Kaneki amnesiac, I think that all that he planned was a story with a new character in Qs Squad, but the editors told him to do it. Then the fans demanded ghoul side back with the old Kaneki, so he did it. This week the editor told him: "Hey, Uta is a popular character we cannot kill him, his ratings are good and kill that Donato dude as fast as possible because he is at the bottom of the ratings". That is all how it went down, if you watched Bakuman you'll know how JUMP functions as a company. This pattern could be seen in all Jump mangas, popular characters almost never die.
May 7, 2018 10:16 AM

Jul 2015
Aardwolf94 said:
This is like Naruto now where characters who did a lot of terrible shit just become friends again and don't get any punishment. Uta helped Furuta for ridiculous reasons and now he is a "bro" (before this it was Mutsuki).

Btw Uta has always been a bro in Yomo's eyes. Also Yomo doesn't fight for justice or shit. He just clarified that he stands and fights to protect his reasons of living aka family and friends.
May 7, 2018 10:26 AM

Dec 2017
ahh.. friendship is magic. as always fought to death and happily make up after. welp, at least donato died
May 7, 2018 10:59 AM
Nov 2017
Lemonraj said:
How in the actual fuck can this chapter be called boring

Because everyone and their grandma knew that Uta wasn't dead, and Amon vs Donato fight was too predictable. Also, Donato is most likely not dead, considering the range of his abilities and power. That's why I called it somewhat boring.
May 7, 2018 11:59 AM

Oct 2015
CharlesMarlow said:
To me it seems that the current story direction is the fault of Ishida's editors. Even :re must have been the result of his editors. I think that Ishida never had a plan to make Kaneki amnesiac, I think that all that he planned was a story with a new character in Qs Squad, but the editors told him to do it. Then the fans demanded ghoul side back with the old Kaneki, so he did it. This week the editor told him: "Hey, Uta is a popular character we cannot kill him, his ratings are good and kill that Donato dude as fast as possible because he is at the bottom of the ratings". That is all how it went down, if you watched Bakuman you'll know how JUMP functions as a company. This pattern could be seen in all Jump mangas, popular characters almost never die.

Ishida said in Zakki his editors let him do what he wants, his editors likely do get at pissy times for example the week of :re 143 they had to do a campaign to inform people the manga was not ending here cause the Japanese where more pissed and vocal then us that week and the sales did drop for volume 13 of :re but he probably told them that beforehand.
May 7, 2018 12:02 PM

Oct 2015
Before the Chapter

Me: I hope the kid lives

After the Chapter

Me: I really really want the kid to live but Ishida is likely curling a mustache and goatee right now snickering.
May 7, 2018 12:20 PM

May 2013
I think this is the best chapter we've had in a while.

May 7, 2018 12:22 PM

Jul 2017
I don't know what to make of this chapter. I liked the character exploration and relationship between Yomo and Uta. Also, i liked Amon's development and seeing how Kaneki / becoming a ghoul has changed him.

That being said, this chapter felt like a typical shounen etc. Yomo's talk no jutsu, Amon's power up. The way Uta and Donato went out was trash.
FlexstyleMay 7, 2018 12:35 PM
May 7, 2018 6:00 PM

Feb 2010
CharlesMarlow said:
This week the editor told him: "Hey, Uta is a popular character we cannot kill him, his ratings are good and kill that Donato dude as fast as possible because he is at the bottom of the ratings". That is all how it went down, if you watched Bakuman you'll know how JUMP functions as a company. This pattern could be seen in all Jump mangas, popular characters almost never die.

Are you sure Donato is at the bottom of ratings? The guy is undeniably the Hannibal Lecter of Tokyo Ghoul, knowing everything behind bars, seems not that unpopular to me.
May 7, 2018 7:19 PM

Jul 2015
Minami-Nan said:
CharlesMarlow said:
This week the editor told him: "Hey, Uta is a popular character we cannot kill him, his ratings are good and kill that Donato dude as fast as possible because he is at the bottom of the ratings". That is all how it went down, if you watched Bakuman you'll know how JUMP functions as a company. This pattern could be seen in all Jump mangas, popular characters almost never die.

Are you sure Donato is at the bottom of ratings? The guy is undeniably the Hannibal Lecter of Tokyo Ghoul, knowing everything behind bars, seems not that unpopular to me.

Well I'd say that he's the type who tends to get hated for being purely and intimidatingly evil. Yes he's the mastermind and is really standing above others in knowledge and might, but still doesn't seem lovable at all (unlike other antagonists like Furuta who got them shenanigans).

I disagree with the dude you quoted, though.
May 7, 2018 8:23 PM

Feb 2010
b-okiya said:
Well I'd say that he's the type who tends to get hated for being purely and intimidatingly evil. Yes he's the mastermind and is really standing above others in knowledge and might, but still doesn't seem lovable at all (unlike other antagonists like Furuta who got them shenanigans).

I think most hatred towards him would be because he abused his position of authority to murder and abuse children while corrupting young Amon as well. Yet he gives off an impression of kindness for making that kid his protégé (accomplice to be accurate).
In comparison, Furuta seems to be worse, he's a joker, doesn't take anything seriously (in appearance) and seems overpowered which is a trope for the all-powerful jester, who's hellbent on raping his childhood crush...
May 8, 2018 12:49 AM
Jan 2018
It was a great chapter full of emotions 💔💔💔
May 8, 2018 2:17 AM

Nov 2014
I'd say the conclusion of Uta and Renji kinda shounen-like, but hell I don't care.. that scene hella perpect, and somehow it gives a hope that TG maybe could get a happy ending

To-Do List:

• NOTHING

May 8, 2018 2:52 AM

Jun 2011
Say what you want, but these fights were put into plot way too conveniently.
Why did CCG and GOAT joint forces send Amon and Renji so conveniently to stop the Clowns?
Logically there was little sense. It looked as if the author chose the most convenient way to resolve the conflicts of thee 4 characters since he wants to rush it under the pressure of the magazine or his decision to end the story in the next volume. :re is definitely coming to end soon, the rush proves it.
May 8, 2018 3:49 AM

Dec 2017
CharlesMarlow said:
Why did CCG and GOAT joint forces send Amon and Renji so conveniently to stop the Clowns?
Logically there was little sense. It looked as if the author chose the most convenient way to resolve the conflicts of thee 4 characters since he wants to rush it under the pressure of the magazine or his decision to end the story in the next volume. :re is definitely coming to end soon, the rush proves it.
I agree, the join forces sending (only) Amon and Yomo as a team to deal with the Clowns just feels too convenient, to the point that it looks like they are underestimating their opponents.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 8, 2018 6:24 AM

May 2016
That was the most entertaining chater I have read in a while seriously it took me like 30 min just to finish one chapter, the content was so thrilling and epic I couldn't help it.

The Conversation between Uta and Renji was so heartwarming I couldn't hold my tears back.

And Let's not forget about Amon and Donato, Ishida Sensei you are amazing for developing such feelings.

May 8, 2018 8:08 AM

Oct 2015
Minami-Nan said:
b-okiya said:

I think most hatred towards him would be because he abused his position of authority to murder and abuse children while corrupting young Amon as well. Yet he gives off an impression of kindness for making that kid his protégé (accomplice to be accurate).
In comparison, Furuta seems to be worse, he's a joker, doesn't take anything seriously (in appearance) and seems overpowered which is a trope for the all-powerful jester, who's hellbent on raping his childhood crush...

I agree with you.

Unlike others I actually like Donatos character for the role as a villain it was sad to see him go. I find him more likable antagonist then Furuta who wanted to create a ward killing kaiju just so he can rape that childhood friend of his one day which probably resulted in more kids dying then Donato can eat.
May 8, 2018 8:44 AM

Feb 2010
crystal-frost said:
CharlesMarlow said:
I agree, the join forces sending (only) Amon and Yomo as a team to deal with the Clowns just feels too convenient, to the point that it looks like they are underestimating their opponents.

Ok people, just for the sake of discussion, who do you think should have been sent to deal with Uta and Donato from the Clowns? If Amon and Renji are too convenient, please tell me who cause right now, I don't see any other combatants who fit the bill. Renji fought Uta before, that's no underestimating his opponent, he KNOWS the opponent. As for Amon, who else to deal with SS rating ghoul Donato if not former CCG prodigy and now Rc level over 9000 one-eyed ghoul Floppy?
May 8, 2018 11:24 AM
Dec 2016
Now... can we ship Renji and Uta alrdy? xD This is what I call true friendship. I also love the portrayal of how one cannot let go vs how one has alrdy let go and moved on. Tokyo ghoul has shown us so many different kind of people and relationships that it's deep and beautiful.
May 8, 2018 11:34 AM
Dec 2016
Aardwolf94 said:

Nah you need to understand Uta and Renji are already friends from the start. And their relationship is kinda competitive as well, always fighting to see who is stronger. When Renji's sis was killed by Arima but he eventually let go of the grudge and moved on, Uta couldnt understand it. Uta couldnt let go of the grudge he has against humans. Which is why he started straying off from Renji and continued to do all the bad stuff to kill investigators and humans. Uta is just like a delinquent and both of them have big misunderstanding for each other. Which is why I find that it's totally reasonable to redeem Uta (unlike Mutsuki. Dont udnerstand why he wasnt killed)
May 8, 2018 11:38 AM
Dec 2016
Minami-Nan said:
crystal-frost said:

Ok people, just for the sake of discussion, who do you think should have been sent to deal with Uta and Donato from the Clowns? If Amon and Renji are too convenient, please tell me who cause right now, I don't see any other combatants who fit the bill. Renji fought Uta before, that's no underestimating his opponent, he KNOWS the opponent. As for Amon, who else to deal with SS rating ghoul Donato if not former CCG prodigy and now Rc level over 9000 one-eyed ghoul Floppy?

Ikr. I totally agree with you. Sometimes people fail to see that the plot is just set up this way from the very beginning. Which is why it seems so expected and convenient. This is good story planning though. Not all good stories have to have plot twists here and there, esp when TG series already have bunch of plot twists. It's time for things to start wrapping up.
May 8, 2018 11:40 AM

Oct 2017
AngelOfLight said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Nah you need to understand Uta and Renji are already friends from the start. And their relationship is kinda competitive as well, always fighting to see who is stronger. When Renji's sis was killed by Arima but he eventually let go of the grudge and moved on, Uta couldnt understand it. Uta couldnt let go of the grudge he has against humans. Which is why he started straying off from Renji and continued to do all the bad stuff to kill investigators and humans. Uta is just like a delinquent and both of them have big misunderstanding for each other. Which is why I find that it's totally reasonable to redeem Uta (unlike Mutsuki. Dont udnerstand why he wasnt killed)

That might redeem Uta for Renji but it will be ridiculous if he somehow gets a happy ending after all the shit he did. Definitely not worse than Mutsuki, he helped Furuta rise to power by having people explode everywhere (god knows how many innocents died) and then even helped him with the Dragon bullshit as well.

Just saying "it was just a misunderstanding bro" is silly
May 8, 2018 1:23 PM

Feb 2010
AngelOfLight said:

Ikr. I totally agree with you. Sometimes people fail to see that the plot is just set up this way from the very beginning. Which is why it seems so expected and convenient. This is good story planning though. Not all good stories have to have plot twists here and there, esp when TG series already have bunch of plot twists. It's time for things to start wrapping up.

Make it happen and it's too convenient, don't and it's unfinished business that will never resolve. Ishida took a decision which is to confront characters with past history, I'd say it's well written and about time.
May 8, 2018 2:18 PM
Nov 2017
Minami-Nan said:

But it's not just Uta and Donato. There's also Itori and Nico. That's two people against four. Juuzou was already in Arata, so I don't see why he shouldn't have been sent. Tsukiyama and Nishiki as well.
May 8, 2018 8:19 PM

Jul 2016
This story is so black-and-white now. There are only two sides, the good one and the bad one. All of the nice characters are on the good side, and the ones who were nice before but joined the bad side get redeemed. All of the villainous characters are on the other side. The story is no longer as complex as it used to be, I no longer feel anxious to know what's going to happen next.

Not that a story like this is inherently bad, but Tokyo Ghoul wasn't like this before, so it's just disappointing. And it's all because of Hitler-kun.
May 8, 2018 11:31 PM

Feb 2010
Aezeryel said:

But it's not just Uta and Donato. There's also Itori and Nico. That's two people against four. Juuzou was already in Arata, so I don't see why he shouldn't have been sent. Tsukiyama and Nishiki as well.

It's true, yet they seem busy so it makes sense they are not the ones confronting the clowns. Itori and Nico are passive members though. Maybe Takizawa can join the lot.
May 9, 2018 3:38 AM

Nov 2016
We got some really awesome chapters lately,guess it was worth to stick with this manga.

Ute and Renji fight had a nice conclusion and Amon some character development.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 9, 2018 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
Mfw Donato, who is probably one of the more interesting characters in this manga, is probably killed off(we had so many fake deaths before I wouldn't rule anything out). Wish we got him as main antagonist instead of gary stu Furuta.
The convo between uta and renji was decent though.
May 9, 2018 9:59 AM
Nov 2017
Minami-Nan said:
Aezeryel said:

It's true, yet they seem busy so it makes sense they are not the ones confronting the clowns. Itori and Nico are passive members though. Maybe Takizawa can join the lot.

But CCG didn't know they were going to be passive, so they knowingly sent two people against four opponents. I doubt Takizawa will do anything, cause he had no problem with watching Amon get pummeled, and he doesn't have any personal reason to join the fray.
May 9, 2018 11:46 AM

Apr 2018
I think that this was one of the better chapters in a while, I liked utas character development a lot ( Im happy that hes still alive :)).
But is it just me or did it feel like donato was taken down pretty easily? I thought it would be a longer fight, oh well still a great chapter!
May 10, 2018 6:51 AM

Aug 2014
Omg we finally got it!! Amon's realization! I have been waiting for this moment ever since his first fight with Kaneki in the beginning of TG
May 10, 2018 1:54 PM

Feb 2010
Aezeryel said:

But CCG didn't know they were going to be passive, so they knowingly sent two people against four opponents. I doubt Takizawa will do anything, cause he had no problem with watching Amon get pummeled, and he doesn't have any personal reason to join the fray.

I think it's simpler than that. Most people were already engaging in combat like Suzuya, Tsukiyama and Nishiki. The moment Hinami detected the location of the whistling, Yomo and Amon went there as the clowns were attempting to flee but were too late for that. Takizawa is the rogue ally, can't order him around. Numerical superiority means nothing in TG and you see it very often so it is unnecessary to have four versus four. To me, it makes sense to have Amon vs Donato and Uta vs Yomo.
May 10, 2018 3:08 PM
Nov 2017
Minami-Nan said:
Aezeryel said:

I think it's simpler than that. Most people were already engaging in combat like Suzuya, Tsukiyama and Nishiki. The moment Hinami detected the location of the whistling, Yomo and Amon went there as the clowns were attempting to flee but were too late for that. Takizawa is the rogue ally, can't order him around. Numerical superiority means nothing in TG and you see it very often so it is unnecessary to have four versus four. To me, it makes sense to have Amon vs Donato and Uta vs Yomo.

Engaging in combat? With whom? Eto/Owl/whatever you wanna call her, was practically subdued and V agents were gone, so there were no other opponents.
Numerical superiority does mean something. Yoshimura was beaten because he was far outnumbered, Irimi was defeated because she was outnumbered, Kaneki against Juuzou and Abara, Big Mom vs Suzuya squad. It's not necessary, but it's smarter and more logical.
May 10, 2018 11:09 PM

Feb 2010
Aezeryel said:

Engaging in combat? With whom? Eto/Owl/whatever you wanna call her, was practically subdued and V agents were gone, so there were no other opponents.
Numerical superiority does mean something. Yoshimura was beaten because he was far outnumbered, Irimi was defeated because she was outnumbered, Kaneki against Juuzou and Abara, Big Mom vs Suzuya squad. It's not necessary, but it's smarter and more logical.

Hmm... Okay. Please read chapter 168 again because I'm not sure we're reading the same manga. You say no opponents, so CCG and ghouls are killing themselves in a blast from their own doing? Kaneki, busy. Ayato, busy. Suzuya, busy. Take squad, busy. Urie squad, busy. Goat, busy as well. So tell me who is free for a fight right before the Clowns attempted to flee except for Takizawa and his girlfriend Kobin.
As for numerical superiority, you only pick up examples to make your point while discarding all the rest. It is smart and logical but wars have been won with lesser numbers. Arima is the best example. Urie as well, against two clowns. Kaneki does this on a daily basis. Oh wait! Yomo vs Mutsuki & Aura. So you see, numerical superiority in TG means nothing, cause it goes both ways.
May 11, 2018 2:46 AM
Nov 2017
Minami-Nan said:
Aezeryel said:

Hmm... Okay. Please read chapter 168 again because I'm not sure we're reading the same manga. You say no opponents, so CCG and ghouls are killing themselves in a blast from their own doing? Kaneki, busy. Ayato, busy. Suzuya, busy. Take squad, busy. Urie squad, busy. Goat, busy as well. So tell me who is free for a fight right before the Clowns attempted to flee except for Takizawa and his girlfriend Kobin.
As for numerical superiority, you only pick up examples to make your point while discarding all the rest. It is smart and logical but wars have been won with lesser numbers. Arima is the best example. Urie as well, against two clowns. Kaneki does this on a daily basis. Oh wait! Yomo vs Mutsuki & Aura. So you see, numerical superiority in TG means nothing, cause it goes both ways.

It seems we indeed aren't reading the same manga. Chapter 167, all V agents retreat just before Owl's first attack. Chapter 168, we can clearly see that there is not a single V agent anywhere. Just before Owl's second attack, Mutsuki subdues her/it, and from that point Juuzou, Nishiki and Tsukiyama are free. Ayato and Kaneki? Are you f*cking serious?
It does in some cases, which I've provided already. I never discarded the other examples or said numerical superiority is the main reason for victory. You're simply twisting my words to make your argument look better.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.