Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 21, 2008 8:37 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was expecting Mayama to quite, once they told him he was moving to another city (and I'm glad he did so =P).
Loved the wedding part, it was really funny xD
Also, it seems we might get some Hagu X Takemoto development in the next episodes (yay! =P).
KinetaNov 25, 2012 9:41 AM
May 18, 2008 12:00 PM

May 2008
So glad that mayama quit... finally he made a move... felling sorry for yamada... that was a sad scene... :/
--------------------------------------------------------
------------/¯/)
-----------/¯¯/
----------/-../
-----/´¯//'.'//´¯`·
-/´¯/-- /---// ---/¨¯\
('-(---(´--(´ -¯~/'--)

May 20, 2008 7:21 AM

Jan 2008
I thought it was really nice of Shūji to butt into Takemoto's art piece being evaluated, by making up a title to give it some flair. Good sensei.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 28, 2008 6:25 AM

Jan 2008
The Yamada scene at the end made me go teary ;__;
Nov 2, 2008 5:03 PM
Jul 2008
That ending scene was so deep, I totally love it. But what would that third choice be?
Jan 14, 2009 2:43 PM

Sep 2008
Okay, but what IS the third choice then? -_-
Feb 12, 2009 3:43 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah! What the heck is that third choice??

Picked this up from the internet:

I am also interested what Shuuji meant when he says that a human has a third choice apart from going for what they want and giving up. I wonder if that choice is loving/longing for someone from afar?
Strife91Feb 12, 2009 3:50 PM
Mar 10, 2009 7:01 AM

Feb 2009
I dunno, that kinda sounds like giving up to me...

Nice episode. Really like how the teacher added the title to Takemoto's tower thing, and all of a sudden it's a masterpiece lol.
I like anime and stuff
May 9, 2009 2:18 PM

Aug 2008
Wow Ayu-chan's scene was SO sad, it made me cry.

I also wonder what's the third option... Loved how he didn't say it so things were easy for us. :)

May 12, 2009 5:03 AM

Jun 2008
what what?? whats the third choice???? i wanna know!!!! anyway... PLEASE! GIVE UP ON MAYAMA!!! HE'S NO GOOD FOR YOU YAMADA!!!! PLEASE!! hahahaha..
Jun 11, 2009 2:59 AM

Mar 2009
The wedding scene was very funny. It was nice to see Takemoto and Hagu-chan.

Jul 28, 2009 3:05 AM

Apr 2008
I would guess that the third choice is doing nothing. Along the lines of Hamlet. Both quitting and continuing to try require action and resolution. However doing nothing means no decision is made so no forward motion can ever be made. A lot of people think that quitting means you stop going forward, but all it really means is changing direction there will still be new opportunities and challenges. However doing nothing means you rot in place. Not able to make a decision either way would be a fate terrible enough to want to avoid saying out loud.

tl;dr choice 3 is doing nothing.
Nov 13, 2009 3:31 AM

Jul 2009
ZOMG what is this.

Yamada is so stupid... She's tearing up over something stupid she did.
This anime is pissing me off by its stupidity. I thought it would be an anime that i would like but how yamada was tearing up made me pretty pissed off. I'm hoping that it would somehow redeem itself by something good happening. And Im also interested in what the third choice is.. will probably fill it in in the following eps to come..
あらあら。。。^^
Dec 3, 2009 3:28 AM

Nov 2008
"The Third Choice"

"You can make an effort or give up..Or you can continue on loving without doing anything about it forever and ever"
Dec 29, 2009 4:30 AM

Oct 2008
twinkythebear said:
I would guess that the third choice is doing nothing. Along the lines of Hamlet. Both quitting and continuing to try require action and resolution. However doing nothing means no decision is made so no forward motion can ever be made. A lot of people think that quitting means you stop going forward, but all it really means is changing direction there will still be new opportunities and challenges. However doing nothing means you rot in place. Not able to make a decision either way would be a fate terrible enough to want to avoid saying out loud.

Deep episode right there, thanks for that explanation it clears everything up. Awesome episode, and loving the series atm. Judging by the preview for the next epsiode its pretty obvious even Takemoto hasn't realised he likes Hagumi yet.
Jan 3, 2010 6:13 AM

Oct 2009
twinkythebear said:

I have came up with the same conclusion since two choices were both 'doing something' that can possibly change something else and the results could either be a success or a failure.

I liked this episode. I felt bad for Ayu, I feel for her.
Mar 7, 2010 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
Finally Ayu realized it ~~
I'm glad Mayama finally did the step going to Rika.

Somehow the recent episodes are dragged out and processing slowly :/
May 19, 2010 12:07 PM

Jun 2009
Fantastic ending with great dialog. One of the strengths of this series is the writing imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 16, 2010 2:40 PM

Apr 2010
Why is no one mentioning Morita? It's not the same without him ;_;
Mar 3, 2011 9:25 PM

Jun 2009
The part with Rika made me sad. Like in this anime there is a lot of rejection. Like they like them but not love them..that is kinda sad.
Apr 7, 2011 9:05 AM

Feb 2010
Sensei you are true sensei, helping Takemoto like that! T_T Erm, but I don't think shrouding third path's is such a good idea. Without understanding the original words, I can't draw the meaning on it from translations, so I'm lost here. Thinking on what I would name for probable paths don't help much to see what was Sensei's meaning but his intention was that Yamada would find some third path that would be right for her own context, those pairs "go for it" - "give up" are then for polarities to make mind work rather than real choices? Anyway, third one will not be about not doing anything because continuing to love is not like doing nothing.
Don't give up, Yamada! Iron maiden, go!
I feel for Yamada but I like Mayama's choice. Mayama and Sensei - those are two crasy men who can bear being like substitudes (or at least not the one and only) for a woman they love and not because they are masochistic or lack self-respect... I salute those men. I understand such love but I would not wish it on myself, nor am I sure that I am capable for it. But in Mayama's case his feelings are true so he might handle it yet.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 1, 2011 5:11 PM

Aug 2010
Now Yamada knows how it feels.

Tsk, tsk.

Unrequited Love: The Animu
Nov 29, 2011 8:04 PM

Feb 2011
Damn i think u guys are right about the third choice. I always assumed the third choice was some magical solution but it makes more sense that it's the most desolate of the 3. Very insightful and helpful you guys!
Dec 18, 2011 12:11 AM
Nov 2011
i feel bad for yamada, i cried when sensei and her talk about her feelings :(
Dec 21, 2011 6:34 PM

Dec 2010
I figured the third choice was do nothing, like Yuta's been doing. I think Shinobu being out of the way for a while makes it easier for the series to focus on the other characters since he kind of steals the spotlight. Hopefully this episode pushes us towards a resolution to the takumi/ayu/rika triangle, though there is a fair amount of series left. 'Course I imagine it will take a while to resolve the Yuta/Hagu/Shinobu triangle (if they choose to resolve it at all). This series has really hooked me. Usually I shy away from longer series, but I keep pushing this one to the top of my rental queue.
Jan 4, 2012 9:43 AM

May 2010
Hanamoto-sensei sure is a great teacher both in art and life. I wished I have a teacher like that.

Now, I'm eager to know what's the 3rd choice he's referring to and see how will Yamada unravel it.

The marriage part was funny btw. XD
May 17, 2012 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
Wonder what the third choice is..well broken hearts this episode.
Jun 17, 2012 5:43 AM

Oct 2008
Would Ayu finally give up? It seems like things are going pretty well between Mayama and Rika. I'm not liking this! But I wonder what the third option Shuu is talking about. Maybe never confessing your feelings to the one you like. I really have this feeling since the beginning that he has feelings for Rika.
Sep 24, 2012 6:59 PM

Nov 2011
Ayu needs to give up! I think this is progressing pretty well! =P.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Nov 17, 2012 2:19 PM

May 2012
Allot happened, was really a great episode! But damn everyone's depressed again...
Nov 24, 2012 8:05 AM

Feb 2010
I'm glad that Mayama made up his mind. The longer he waits, the harder for Yamada to accept the fact that his heart belongs to someone else.

I think, if we are given two choices to choose from in our life, the answers that we can give are four: yes, no, both, none

but in Yamada's case, she has three: yes, no, none
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
May 23, 2013 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
I figured Mayama would quit once he found out about being moved to another location. I’m glad I wasn’t too invested in Yamada x Mayama. I’m honestly not rooting for anyone, just want to see how it ends up. This anime is doing a great job in presenting realities of love at this point in life.

Yamada finally figured out what Mayama felt like! It’s actually why I wasn’t pushing for the two of them in the first place. I wonder what she’ll do now. Also I’m very curious as to the 3rd choice sensei was talking about.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 10, 2013 3:02 AM

Aug 2010
Mayama you stupid stupid man >.<
Dec 17, 2013 6:44 PM

Jun 2009
“The Tower of Adolescence.” Greatest masterpiece title ever. Such a smart and kind move, Sensei. ;_;

Ahh, the hopeless third choice. Emptiness. Depression. Don’t you just want to do nothing at all?
And if you do nothing for too long… you may feel like disappearing, running away from the world.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 19, 2014 12:31 AM

Dec 2013
Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Great drama, great ending. What's the third choice, passive hope I'm guessing.
May 26, 2014 3:32 PM

May 2012
Love you Sensei for helping Takemoto! Tower of Adolescence, huh. Haha. And deep inside I am saying "STUPID MAYAMA" for making Yamada cry. But then I realized that Mayama have made the decision and had pushed through with it so we just need to respect it. Now, it's all up to Ayu what she needs to do now. Well, I hope she moves on!!!!
Sep 24, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2013
At least Mayama made up his mind. Now is it to much to ask shipping for Morita x Ayu? Guess no matter how hard I'm hoping, it won't happen.
Dec 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Jul 2014
Smoking in the moonlight.

nice.
Dec 10, 2014 9:06 PM

Nov 2011
twinkythebear said:

I agree in that the third choice is "doing nothing" or "waiting". However, I don't think waiting is necessarily a bad choice. It depends on the circumstances and the person. What would kill in some circumstances would strengthen in others. It's a tough experience in either case, but how it changes you is up to you. You don't have to rot in waiting.

Related picture, though it doesn't portray my meaning perfectly:
Dec 16, 2014 6:27 AM

Jun 2009
Jan 17, 2015 8:51 AM

Jan 2015
About that third option... the only thing I could think of was:
'Giving up' and 'trying' are both options that can open pathways, right? Because you either get what you want or you move on. Since the third option can't help you open a pathway, maybe it means 'not going anywhere' or 'staying in the same place', meaning Yamada could pretend to move on (and start a new relationship, for instance) without really forgetting about Mayama and feeling the same way towards him.
I couldn't remember the episode in which this happened so I asked a question on the forum as regards this third option on a separate thread. Now that I found the episode, I post this here :P
Apr 11, 2015 2:01 AM
Mar 2015
Damn, Mayama... I have a bad feeling about this. Both his and Yamada feelings are devastatingly hopeless.
I really like Shuu-sensei character. So sad he doesnt have a family and his best friend is gone.
And this anime is filled with love triangles!!!
Loved the moment when Takemoto crawled out of blanket XD He looked like a caterpillar! Hagu is finally noticing him?
Oh, i feel for Yamada. On the one hand she is lucky to be so popular and attractive but on the other, they were her friends for a long time. Rejecting someone is painful. This anime masterfully portrays all emotions and struggles. Its beautiful and sad at the same time. Its like Yamada is at dead-end position right now. I wonder, what 3rd choice did Shuu-chan talk about?
Apr 11, 2015 2:08 AM
Mar 2015
la_tigra said:
"The Third Choice"

[i]"You can make an effort or give up..Or you can continue on loving without doing anything about it forever and ever"[/i]

True
Apr 21, 2015 5:07 AM

Aug 2014
I miss Morita. Why he has not come back from America?
Jun 12, 2015 1:11 PM

Jul 2009
Mayama really loves Rika, he cares about Ayu but its not love. Ayu is such a good girl, I want her to be happy.
Jun 24, 2015 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
I wanted to know the third choice too.

He went back to work for Rika.
Jan 2, 2017 2:29 AM

Jul 2015
I really want to know the third choice but somehow I think it's to cheat but I saw a comment which said to re-do... that one interests me
Jan 5, 2017 2:23 PM

Feb 2008
Hanamoto is the true MVP. At least when it comes to giving profound advice (while looking cool),
Jan 15, 2017 9:31 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode again. It's been dramatic lately.
Apr 10, 2017 7:15 AM

Feb 2013
Yamada with that Ashita no Joe parody was super funny.
I feel bad about her only because her childhood friends proposes, I hope they remain friends.
Mayama is back at Rika's place, I think that's the best thing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Opening

I_0_dont_0_know - Apr 10

3 by mikorinismyson »»
Apr 11, 2:46 AM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Mar 17, 2008

126 by whereswisteria »»
Mar 29, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fentastic - Oct 5, 2008

124 by anti0taku »»
Sep 14, 2023 4:50 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Mar 20, 2008

63 by anti0taku »»
Aug 3, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Hachimitsu to Clover Episode 10 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 19, 2008

49 by anti0taku »»
Jul 22, 2023 12:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.