Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 29, 2018 11:44 AM

Jul 2015
when i first watched SAO i jumped on the hate train solely because every e-celeb i know hated it, i rewatched again and thought 'huh, this is just average'
it's not particulary bad or good, it has bad parts but also good parts, most people just seemed to be getting mad because something so average became this popular among the community
I'm not sure if i will watch the second season but if there is gonna be some sort of remake/readaptation where even the worst problems will be fixed, i'll watch it, gonna watch the spin-off this season though
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 2018 11:47 AM

Oct 2015
1st anime ever watched (officially) and i still really like it
even with its flaws its just a fun romp

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Mar 29, 2018 11:49 AM

Mar 2017
My favorite show ever people just hate on it because its cool.
Mar 29, 2018 11:50 AM

Jun 2017
SAO thread? YEEEEEEEEEEE I've been waiting for it since I was born

Mar 29, 2018 11:51 AM

Aug 2017
its an anime that exists and has lots of members on mal
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2018 11:51 AM

Sep 2017
and here we fucking go again with the sao threads
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 29, 2018 11:53 AM

Dec 2016
It had been a while since the last SAO thread in AD.
Mar 29, 2018 11:54 AM

Jan 2017
Nothing will convince me to watch it lol
Mar 29, 2018 11:56 AM
Aug 2016
Veleca said:
when i first watched SAO i jumped on the hate train solely because every e-celeb i know hated it,

Umm, may I ask you something? Can you explain to me what the fuck is that attitude?
Mar 29, 2018 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
Just undying filth and SAO threads are making it worse.

Mar 29, 2018 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
Aslt said:
Veleca said:
when i first watched SAO i jumped on the hate train solely because every e-celeb i know hated it,

Umm, may I ask you something? Can you explain to me what the fuck is that attitude?

what do you mean by that? what did i say?
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 29, 2018 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
It's still about as cringey as it was when it first aired I guess. Tho maybe I'd be a bit less harsh on it because I wouldn't be as disappointed. Back when it aired I literally went from 'This is super fun and I love the idea' to 'this is painful to watch pls save me' in a matter of a couple of episodes. The hopes I had for it to be one of my favorites probably made me a bit more salty when it turned out to just be below average pandering for the most part.

Two things I know I hate just as much now as I did in 2012 are shoehorning in quasi-harems when MC supposedly has a girlfriend (it just feels uncomfortable) and extremely badly written villains. I can't say SAO has literally the worst villains ever written anymore, because I've seen Kabaneri in the meantime. But it still got a lock on the second and third worst villains, easily. I could rant about the writing for the antagonists and how they are executed for days, but it's honestly not worth the effort.

I think I even changed my rating from a 4 to a 5 at some point because SAO is really a unique case that combines some elements I really, really enjoy, with some of the worst and cringiest stuff I've seen in the medium. Hard to not feel contradictory about it to some degree, but maybe a 5 is too generous. I do remember that while I watched it the show ruined almost all of my enjoyment of it :/.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2018 12:04 PM

Jul 2015
IdleSolution said:
Tennouji said:
Glenfinnan said:

did i miss something?
i only rewatched this a few months ago and wasn't around in the forums when it was still blowing up
was the series discussion spammed alot?
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 29, 2018 12:06 PM

Feb 2016
It's shit, that's it. E-celebs are irrelevant, many people hated it even before youtards were a thing, their opinions didn't change.
Mar 29, 2018 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
First impression back in 2012: meh, this is kinda bad...

My opinion on it now: Wow, this is REALLY bad!!
Mar 29, 2018 12:10 PM

Oct 2007
I still think it had bad pacing, bad writing, good ideas that weren't constructed well or followed through, terrible characters, and the potential to be brilliant before it fell flat on its face.

SAO is by no means the worst anime ever made, nor did it deserve the intense hate it received. Its just very, very average and bland.
Mar 29, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2018
Well it was one of the first anime I watched back then I really enjoyed the first few episodes nowerdays I just think the begining is average and the rest is garbage epeccially compared to Sao Abrigriged if you haven't seen that yet definitely check it out its like the best isekai anime ever and I say that without a shred of irony.
Mar 29, 2018 12:11 PM

Nov 2012
JonasTheJay said:

My opinion on it now after watching Digibro's or MothersBasement rants: Wow, this is REALLY bad!!

Fixed it for you, no need to hide it man.
Mar 29, 2018 12:14 PM
May 2017
Dlwuik said:
This is probably just how people feel when they see you talking about Fullmetal Alchemist in every single thread lolz.
Mar 29, 2018 12:15 PM

Jul 2015
xShinigami3125 said:
Well it was one of the first anime I watched back then I really enjoyed the first few episodes nowerdays I just think the begining is average and the rest is garbage epeccially compared to Sao Abrigriged if you haven't seen that yet definitely check it out its like the best isekai anime ever and I say that without a shred of irony.

I really enjoy the Abridged series too, it's what made me rewatch this with a more positive attitude
I wanna watch the next episode already~~~
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 29, 2018 12:16 PM

Sep 2011
Veleca said:
IdleSolution said:
Tennouji said:
Glenfinnan said:

did i miss something?
i only rewatched this a few months ago and wasn't around in the forums when it was still blowing up
was the series discussion spammed alot?

You can check it yourself. The amount of threads there is enough to answer your question.

And since I've been on MAL here before it's aired, I don't know if you can imagine on how I witnessed those nightmarish SAO discussions were.

Mar 29, 2018 12:16 PM

Sep 2017
SlightlyPebbled said:
Dlwuik said:
This is probably just how people feel when they see you talking about Fullmetal Alchemist in every single thread lolz.

i don't care about fma anymore, i moved onto funny flipagram roast compilation.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 29, 2018 12:17 PM
Aug 2016
Veleca said:
Aslt said:

What you essentially said is: "I hated it because every internet """""celebrity""""" I know hated it", which implies that you thought of SAO that way because of other people's influence. Don't you think that it's stupid?
Mar 29, 2018 12:19 PM

Mar 2017
Well, I love Sword Art Online. It's one of my few anime that kept me in anime zone.

And I'm quite hyped for S3.
Mar 29, 2018 12:19 PM

Apr 2015
I watched it not a long time ago and I disliked it but I seriously don't understand why it's SO hated by a lot of anime fans. It's definitely not the worst anime out there. I've seen people who didn't even want to talk to sao fans...I mean it's not that deep, calm down. It's just anime lol
Mar 29, 2018 12:24 PM

Jul 2015
Aslt said:
Veleca said:

What you essentially said is: "I hated it because every internet """""celebrity""""" I know hated it", which implies that you thought of SAO that way because of other people's influence. Don't you think that it's stupid?

Well yeah, that's why i gave it a fair watch and changed my mind
it is not the absolute worst series of all time, it's just a 5/10, comletely average
but i still want to know why it got so popular, was it really just because of the game setting and the girls??? i just can't believe that, that cannot be the only reasons
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 29, 2018 12:24 PM

May 2015
Lol. My viewpoint on SAO wasn't swayed by all the elitists over-analysing the fuck out of it. I gave it a 6, it was fine.

It wasn't good enough for me to re-watch it so my opinion on the show hasn't changed since my first run through. Can we drop it now?
Mar 29, 2018 12:25 PM
Jan 2012
SAO is the definition of wasted potential and lazy execution (by original author). Anime and LN are both simply disappointing. Sure, the story is still pretty fun, but it became your average harem fantasy pretty fast.
Mar 29, 2018 12:26 PM

Jun 2017
One of my first Anime, still like it despite plenty of flaws, bland Mc being the worst of them. Good waifus out of it, Shinon is gorgeous and best girl. Rich amount of very good doujins, good OST and animation, good when it gets emotional, bad at battle system, many characters are there just to make Kirito's harem even bigger.

I'm always looking forward to SAO adaptations, it's good I guess? The same as Re zero, not bad Anime but not the best in their genre, for me, SAO is a 6, maybe a 7 at best but it's kinda special to me as it was one of the first Anime I watched.

Mar 29, 2018 12:28 PM

Dec 2015
I enjoy watching the show, but i do understand that sao got more plotholes then a cheese.
But I'm just a scrub and enjoy watching everything.

Mar 29, 2018 12:29 PM

Feb 2010
Veleca said:
Aslt said:

Well yeah, that's why i gave it a fair watch and changed my mind
it is not the absolute worst series of all time, it's just a 5/10, comletely average
but i still want to know why it got so popular, was it really just because of the game setting and the girls??? i just can't believe that, that cannot be the only reasons

The game setting was really new back then. I definitely got hyped for that as well. As for the girls, people always love that but in SAO there was an actual relationship and I think that sold it for many people. In anime you're kinda used to romance bait, at best they get together at the end of the show, but SAP but them together early on which made it feel different.

Imo different bad because of how it was executed and how the show keeps throwing horny girls at him even after he's committed to asuka, but that's just me. I'm pretty sure the combination of the game isekai setting and the early relationship that gets some focus (and even a 'kid') are the main factors why it got so much attention and hype early on.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2018 12:29 PM

Feb 2018
Veleca said:
xShinigami3125 said:

I really enjoy the Abridged series too, it's what made me rewatch this with a more positive attitude
I wanna watch the next episode already~~~

Same I probably watched the abridged like 5 times already and it's still fckn hillarious
Mar 29, 2018 12:30 PM
Aug 2017
When I first watched it back then I didn't know so many people hate it... I just knew that it's quite popular and good.. When i watched 1st episode i thought it seems good but after two 0r three episodes it's become some harem shit i think.... AND it's still SHIT!!!
Mar 29, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
It wasn't my first anime, but I watched it when I hadn't seen that many series yet, when it got recommended to me. I don't think my opinion on it has really changed since then. I like it, despite its flaws. I've always had a soft spot for the isekai genre and MMO setting, and Sword Art Online plays in both of those. That said, I've not watched any of the sequels, nor can't I say I'm very interested in trying, lol.
Mar 29, 2018 12:42 PM

Jun 2015
I found it average then, I find it average now. What's the point of this?
Mar 29, 2018 12:44 PM
Oct 2017
these days i like to think sword art online is coming out with a sequel called sword art online alternative gun gale online that will start in spring 2018
Mar 29, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2016
SuperRed said:
JonasTheJay said:

My opinion on it now after watching it : Wow, this should get more hate!!

Fixed it for you, no need to hide it man.
I fixed your mistake. Thank me later.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Mar 29, 2018 1:06 PM

Feb 2018
I haven't ever watched it but since everyone seems to be on the train of hating it I think its best for me to stay away from it for now
Mar 29, 2018 1:07 PM

May 2015
Haven't rewatched the show in like 4 years, but I don't think my opinion on it would change that drastically. I liked it then, and I'd probably still like it now. I also thought it got more hate than it deserved then, and I DEFINITELY still think the same now. 6 god damn years, and the bandwagon is still chugging along at full speed. It's actually kind of impressive how people can keep it going. You'd think they would move on to something else, but nope, they always return to beat the dead horse further.

Mar 29, 2018 1:07 PM

Mar 2016
It wasn't my first anime. It was like my 15th-50th I think. I'm not sure at all.

The very first time I tried it I dropped it on the first episode. The trapped in a game thing wasn't really my cake. I didn't touch it for like a year and six months after that. The second time I tried it was when GGO was coming out (I think?). I really liked it then (like an 8?) and I still like it now. I think I could like it precisely because it didn't focus on boss-clearing, going against my anticipations. Unlike (apparently) most people here, I liked pretty much all of seasons 1 and 2.

Not really hyped for season 3 though. I've read the LNs and while they're sort of okay (I've read better ones tbh), I just don't feel it in me anymore.

That said, this is in the wrong forum.

And I don't like to compare the two, but SAO Abridged is literal gold.
OduduwaMar 29, 2018 1:10 PM
Mar 29, 2018 1:17 PM

Dec 2012
I enjoy it, same as I always did, it's pretty entertaining.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 29, 2018 1:20 PM

Mar 2017
Aslt said:
Veleca said:

I would think it's called honesty and self-reflection, a rare sight in the tough-guyism "I-am-my-own-man-who-absolutely-doesn't-get-influenced-by-anything-even-though-human-biology-calls-me-out-on-my-rara-bullshit" culture of the internet
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 29, 2018 1:26 PM
Jul 2015
Another SAO thread rlly? They just keep coming back after a while
Mar 29, 2018 1:32 PM

Jun 2017
When you're so bad at baiting you hafta use SAO. Hive minds in a nutshell.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Mar 29, 2018 1:40 PM

Jun 2016
The first season was really cool, i could rewatch if i want.
But the second season, i dropped that after watching a few episodes. The main reason is - the story kinda ends in the first season. 2nd season is just a waste..
Mar 29, 2018 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
Still amazes me seeing people with SAO as their first anime.

These are the same people who now have marked 100+ completed.

How time flies..
Mar 29, 2018 1:47 PM

Jan 2018
I loved the first season of SAO the most, then it started going downhill with the second season, etc...
Mar 29, 2018 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
Well, I'm on the same boat as the "first series watched" people. I can point out its many flaws, but like every other anime, I can't hate it. First season was alright, but GGO was trash

However, with Ordinal Scale, I feel that the series can become better. Ordinal Scale was a huge step in the right direction, and it actually made me a bit excited for Alicization.

Mar 29, 2018 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Not a fan. Rather see log horizon season 3, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon :(
Mar 29, 2018 1:58 PM

Jan 2018
i like it. idk why most people hate #3 on most popular anime.
but this is about taste.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.