Forums

What popular animes do you hate and why? [spoilers]

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Mar 15, 2018 8:02 AM

Jan 2014
Clebardman said:
AstZero said:

I've analized more than enough criticisms made towards SAO.
Most of them were retarded and stupid and nothing short of simply saying i just hate this show for the heck of it. It's not a close minded thing to say it's expectable if anything cause there really was a time when you were a cool kid(lmfao) if you despised SAO. So much that people that genuinely liked the show started contradicting themselves by saying they hate it cause it was more popular to hate it than to like it.

Btw dw,i know you're gonna check my favs after reading my reply so let me save you the trouble. Yes SAO is one my favs, though mostly cause it's actually one of the anime i enjoyed the most of what i've seen. Nothing more nothing less, also dw i'm quite aware of how flawed it is and how writing flops whenever it gets a chance. Do i care ? Not really the action scenes had more than enough entertainment value for me, which is why i enjoyed it so much being the action junkie i am.

I didn't see SAO but I can name at least 5 reasons why people hate it. Never before heard anyone seriously say "it's popular" as a reason why it's shit, except maybe the occasional dumbass.
I don't wanna be rude, but it really sounds like some people are imagining things when it comes to "haters".

I can name you as much as i want myself really. There are a lot of reasons but the reasoning behind them sometimes is stupid.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Mar 15, 2018 8:16 AM

Jan 2018
Lordwen said:
You can call them sheep for liking it as well. That argument if it counts as one, works both ways really.

It definitely steers more towards the haters.
Mar 15, 2018 8:28 AM
Feb 2009
I don't get people who say they hate popular anime, it's popular for a reason. But definatelly overrated are SAO, Attack on Titan, April is a lie.

tragedydesu said:
Rezero : for obvious reason
Toradora : abusive bitch female lead
Clannad after story : that bullshit ending
Opm : worst comedy ever

Rem is dead
Mar 15, 2018 8:52 AM

Jul 2015
@Bozzzz

Emilia fangays are afraid that the author will go for a polygamy ending lol
Mar 15, 2018 9:19 AM

Jul 2017
Cowboy Bepop- overrated, bored me to death, terrible animation and there was barely any plot.

FMA:B- Overrated, above average shounen. The repetitive short jokes got old REAL fast, the constant comedy ruined the tone, a lot of the sins were one dimensional, the ending was nakama bullshit. The beginning is too rushed.
Doesn’t deserve the no.1 spot on MAL. FMA up until ep.25>>>

One piece: the arcs are repetitive, the sHs lack development, there’s too much running and it turns to shit after the timeskip.

OPM: It’s basically overused memes stretched out into a anime. The plot is a joke, Saitama conviently showing up to one punch enemies got old quick. Genos is fodder trash
FlexstyleApr 13, 2018 1:50 PM
Mar 15, 2018 9:40 AM

Jan 2017
Nah I wouldn't say hate but there are a few I don't like that much:

Ao no Exorcist - everything except the beginning and the last few episodes was boring
Kuroshitsuji - the characters were quiet good but most story arcs bored the shit out of me
Hataraku Maou-sama! - again good characters and setting but it wasn't funny most of the time so it failed as a comedy anime

"Blood and rain mixed with broken dreams flow together along the curb,
But even in the darkest corners of misery the roses bloom at sunset"
Mar 15, 2018 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
ShinobuHitagi said:
Cowboy Bepop- overrated, bored me to death, terrible animation and there was barely any plot.

This is a good way to make your whole opinion on the show lose any credibility. I don't want to be rude or sound like I'm butthurt, because disliking Cowboy Bebop is perfectly fine in my book; but I think you're mistaking animation with other visual characteristics of the show like art style or design.

Animation is something that can be somewhat objectively evaluated without too much trouble. Stuff like framerate, fluidity, level of detail and how physical characteristics of objects like weight are retranscribed can all be evaluated decently with a pair of eyes and some basic knowledge. And the animation of Cowboy Bebop is far above the average TV show by most standards.
DeathkoMar 15, 2018 11:19 AM
Mar 15, 2018 3:59 PM

Sep 2017
i hate the anime you like, because they are bad.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 16, 2018 5:04 AM

Nov 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 2deep4me
Serial Experiments Lain - also the same garbage that wants to take itself seriously
Mar 17, 2018 2:19 AM
Mar 2013
DepravedMagi said:
Mexipino said:
I dont really hate any show. Its 2018. Lets respect the art of the beautiful world of anime and what creative ideas the mangakas have to offer.

You're a fucking weirdo, not hating a single show.

Yeah i get that a lot. I'm THAT weirdo guy
Mar 19, 2018 12:26 PM

Nov 2008
LightningSoul said:
Chiibi said:

"Fans wanted"!? Onodera was the most popular character in the polls.

But Onodera was trash and Komi basically had it set in stone Chitoge would win; SHE'S ON THE FIRST COVER WITH RAKU.

Lol are you guys dumb? Or are you just terrible at predicting the obvious?

If that's how you define "trash" then you have to really re-evaluate your life choices and how you define things.

Between a stuck-up, prideful bitch who basically gets violent over every little thing and a caring, sweet and timid girl who is cooperative, I'd be hard-pressed to say the latter is the one that's "trash" (≧◡≦).

Chitoge does NOT get violent over "every little thing" and she actually has character development. Onodera was created for guys to fap to because she's just that doormat little "yes yes girl" who would let anyone walk all over her and it's disgusting to see guys fetishize a type of woman they could so easily control.

She's a crappy character in terms of writing. That's why I call her "trash".

Mar 19, 2018 12:31 PM

Mar 2017
Code Geass because... just read my review, there's too much to go into here. XD

Fist of the North Star is sexist, repetitive and boring.

Dragon Ball Z neglects its supporting characters and has dull, one-dimensional villains.

Haruhi Suzumiya has two of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever seen.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Mar 19, 2018 12:39 PM

Mar 2015
Gintama and OPM.

Gintama because I hate parody-like series no matter if they are anime or live action, never really got into that genre for some reason, so just because of taste. Also I don't see the point in forcing myself to watch around 40 episodes to see smth I already know I'll still find bullshit anyway. (seen the first 5 episodes only already forcing myself before I realised it was a parody lol)

OPM, don't really know, had it's funny moments and all and some nice pieces of action, but his ability makes it too lame/repetetive and not fun to watch for me. Also, what's the point of the story?? seeing him one-shot enemies?? My god... Do get why others like it though..
Mar 19, 2018 1:14 PM

Dec 2010
Hiroyuuki said:
Gintama and OPM.

Gintama because I hate parody-like series no matter if they are anime or live action, never really got into that genre for some reason, so just because of taste. Also I don't see the point in forcing myself to watch around 40 episodes to see smth I already know I'll still find bullshit anyway. (seen the first 5 episodes only already forcing myself before I realised it was a parody lol)

OPM, don't really know, had it's funny moments and all and some nice pieces of action, but his ability makes it too lame/repetetive and not fun to watch for me. Also, what's the point of the story?? seeing him one-shot enemies?? My god... Do get why others like it though..

On Gintama I agree completely I could not even get through the first episode people try to tell me it gets better but it just takes too long the only slap stick anime I was able to watch was Reborn! I had to sit through about 19 to 20 episodes before I really started loving it because it was not over 50 episodes of that like it would be for Gintama.
Mar 19, 2018 1:21 PM

Sep 2017
Toradora fucking sucks, Taiga is the most annoying bitch to ever have plagued the planet earth, fuck tsunderes
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Mar 19, 2018 1:24 PM

Nov 2014
Has 'popular' been defined anywhere on this thread? Like how popular? Whatever, I'l just go through the Top 100 popular shows.

#6: Steins;Gate
Unlikable characters slopped onto a standard time-travel narrative sprinkled with some good ol fashioned serious-VN pretention. I understand exactly why it's popular, I just wish we had a community that could look past such shallow posing.

#15: Elfen Lied
Do I really need to explain tho? Most people know why Elfen Lied is bad by now. Edge fest that decides being shocking is more important than developing characters or an interesting story.

#21: Soul Eater
Love the first half. Absolutely abhor the second. At first the show was just oozing style and attitude that made it fun and interesting. Characters were quirky, but could be serious badasses when needed. Everything was going great up until the halfway point. Suddenly everyone got stuck in serious shonen mode. All the characters became too busy spewing exposition and/or being angsty to just act like actual people.

#26: Another
Completely inept. It honestly baffles me that it's this popular. When trashy horror flicks come out in the movie theatres, everyone just dismisses them as standard fare for boyfriends to take their girlfriends to go see so that they'll grab onto your arm tightly every time a cheap jump scare happens. But apparently, if you put an anime sheen over it, weebs will just lap it up...

#31: High School of the Dead
Zombies are the most cliché plot you could possibly do. I'll give them credit that the anime knows this and that they ease the pain with some admittedly good fanservice. But nothing can drown out the monotonous story beats of yet another zombie plot with cardboard cutout characters.

#42: Tokyo Ghoul Root A
As someone who actually liked the first season, Root A is amazing in how bad it is. Everything just dissolved into occupational protocol and unimpressive fight scenes with the occasional cutaway of Kaneki being edgy. I wanted to like this one so bad, but it's just soooo boring.

#50: Deadman Wonderland
Actually one of my first anime. Episode 1 had me so hyped. Episode 2 immediately let me down. Edgy gore and terrible pacing with an unbearable MC. Basically just a retread of Elfen Lied except somehow worse.

#54: Nanatsu no Taizai
All in all, it's the very reason it took me so long to get into anime. Standard, boring shonen with arbitrary power levels and nothing charming or funny to make it more bearable. Also, Liz is the worst example of the bland damsel in distress I've ever seen. Nice design, but every time she talked I felt myself losing consciousness.

#58: Black Butler
Okay look, I actually like hot guys. The prospect of a kickass butler and male fanservice is something that I actually want. But when the butler is vapid and continuously spouts out a lame catchphrase while being concerningly overpowered, I just can't deal. Slap on an uninspired Victorian skin and it's the exact formula to really get me angry.

#82: Owari no Seraph
In the process of watching the three episodes I did, I fell asleep twice. Soooo boring. Plus, its got both the unsubstantial edginess of Deadman Wonderland and the uninspired shonen tropes of Nanatsu no Taizai all wrapped up into one package. If it wasn't for some pretty cool designs and Shinoa actually being pretty cool, I would easily consider this one of the very worst. Also, when the story erupted into a typical school plot I lost my mind.

---

God, I didn't realize I was such a grump. Was gonna do the Top 200 popular shows, but I had way more shows with 3 or below just in the Top 100 than I was expecting...
Mar 20, 2018 10:24 AM

Nov 2017
dgraymanfan said:
Hiroyuuki said:
Gintama and OPM.

On Gintama I agree completely I could not even get through the first episode people try to tell me it gets better but it just takes too long the only slap stick anime I was able to watch was Reborn! I had to sit through about 19 to 20 episodes before I really started loving it because it was not over 50 episodes of that like it would be for Gintama.

I agree...though that's the only setback of Gintama. Too bad it was at the beginning of the series that can turn viewers off.
Mar 20, 2018 3:36 PM
Dec 2017
I totally dislike Sword Art Online.

I think Boruto is annoying because of the MC's
and i dont like Kuroko no Baske.
Mar 20, 2018 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
If i had to chose one, it is Citrus.

The worst anime from last season.

Asides from the art style and the OP; Everything about this is utter garbage
Mar 21, 2018 4:53 AM

Aug 2015
Chiibi said:
LightningSoul said:

If that's how you define "trash" then you have to really re-evaluate your life choices and how you define things.

Between a stuck-up, prideful bitch who basically gets violent over every little thing and a caring, sweet and timid girl who is cooperative, I'd be hard-pressed to say the latter is the one that's "trash" (≧◡≦).

Chitoge does NOT get violent over "every little thing" and she actually has character development. Onodera was created for guys to fap to because she's just that doormat little "yes yes girl" who would let anyone walk all over her and it's disgusting to see guys fetishize a type of woman they could so easily control.

She's a crappy character in terms of writing. That's why I call her "trash".

Well, I wouldn't 100% agree on the statement of every guy wanting to fap to someone like Onodera when really, any anime girl can be a guy's "fantasy".

BUT I have to concede T_T, that Onodera sadly had less character development in general in comparison to Chitoge.
Mar 21, 2018 5:25 AM

Aug 2017
I'd say Shirobako, still holding that anime... I dont really know the reason, but I get bored after half episode..

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Mar 21, 2018 5:57 AM
Feb 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion: most of the characters are bad and poorly constructed, the protagonist only gets worse during the anime, the story although good is badly told, many mysteries are not solved. The original ending is crap, and the ova ending too, plus its a ova.
School Days: its a boring anime, the story always goes in the wrong direction and the protagonist become more and more trash.
Mar 21, 2018 5:59 AM

Apr 2016
Death Note - too much female oriented.
Re: Zero - too much otaku pandering oriented.
Mar 21, 2018 1:40 PM
Feb 2009
Mireannea said:
If i had to chose one, it is Citrus.

The worst anime from last season.

Asides from the art style and the OP; Everything about this is utter garbage

I really hope you are wrong about it being popular.
Mar 21, 2018 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
YayaChibi said:
Re: Zero because subaru is braindead, Rem did not win, and there was no alternate homo subaru x trap route lol lmao lol
Bozzzz said:

I really hope you are wrong about it being popular.

The anime isn't the most popular but its one of the most popular yuri mangas lol

Yes,it is my friends.
It at least doesn't have too much merchandise (PTE literally has a section on AmiAmi mainpage)
Mar 21, 2018 4:50 PM

May 2013
The Fate franchise : I tried Zero, SN:UBW and watched the movie yet I couldn't like any of them. For me it seems like each variant is just a copy-pasted story (except that magical girl spin-off I guess) with different characters (besides Nero who seems like a recolored Saber but I'm surely wrong) and I never saw what was amazing about it... Yeah you've got cool fights and in UBW's case A+ animation but I never cared about any character, they were either annoying or uninsteresting.

Highschool DxD : fake epic story and fights, Iseei is one of the worst protagonists ever, none of them girls have any semblance of a brain, the fanservice abuse... It's just really bad.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann : I couldn't stand Kamina and nothing interested me in the 9 episodes I watched despite being from the same creators as Kill La Kill... Weird
Est-ce que ton frigo marche ?
Mar 21, 2018 5:03 PM

Mar 2013
Oh okay...I'm gonna get slaughtered for this. But this is just my personal opinion!

Haikyuu: so many people love this anime and there's at least 3 seasons of it. But why?! I could only make it to ep7 on my own when someone recommended it to me, then they asked for us to watch it together and I had to endure 20 eps of this boring mess. There is no plot at all. All of the characters play volleyball, and that is literally it.

Devilman Crybaby: Mixed feelings about this one...the ending and the last 3 episodes were pretty good. But it started so so badly, and the animation style is awful. It confuses me when people call it a masterpiece. Glad I did stick with it since the ending was amazing, but I'm wondering why they made the first half of it so terrible.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Why is this so popular?! The main lead is an annoying bitch, the other characters are uninteresting and the plot is totally nonsensical.

Yuri On Ice: Only seen the first two eps and I'm hoping it will become more interesting. It seemed like an anime I would really love because I adore shounen ai and the animation is beautiful. But is it just me or is Viktor a complete dick?
Mar 21, 2018 5:15 PM

Feb 2016
I really didn't like Psycho-Pass. I was(and still am) surrounded by people who were/are in love with it, but I just felt bored the whole time I was watching it.
i watch anime
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

32 by nishant0 »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

18 by somegayfrog »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9070 by anime-prime »»
4 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

3 by Spunkert »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 4 hours ago

22 by perseii »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.