Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2018 1:39 AM

Oct 2017
Ok, recently finally finished the movie.

Up until the last 40 mins, I thought the movie is pretty decent, with the real life AR of OS , Kirito finally has his limitation of lacking in real life physical strength, and somehow need to rely on team work, which clearly showcase in the 1st boss. The movie brings up Kirito's weak physical state in OS multiple times throughout the 1st hr of the show.

And then after the game requires him to up the rank , this movie instantly goes back to brain-dead hot garbage again.

Back in 1st boss, it takes so many hits/ so many players to chip down HP. (Same goes to 2nd boss which Asuna cooperate with other players to deal damage, which I think is probably the best fight in the movie with strategy and team-work)

When Kirito fought the 3rd boss with Sinon, he suddenly can conveniently kill the boss in one blow with the help of Sinon, showing that Kirito's attack value is abnormally high in OS compare to any other players despite being low rank.

After Yuna told Kirito to increase his rank, Kirito, a guy who lacks training, lack physical strength in real life, weak as hell in the beginning of the movie, suddenly capable of fighting like when he's inside VR without any trouble, without any extra training, without rehabilitatuin, without much fighting experience in OS, and able to one-shot many more bosses , dodge all their attacks with his weak-ass physical strength and clunky movement in real life. He conveniently climbed up to top rank within one night when other players take way more effort to do so.

It was a big WTF moment for me, and completely ruined the movie for me for how silly and how ridiculous the whole premise is. Why did they dumbed down a potentially good movie into another BS op mc free power up show?

In fact, the whole game system is very vague, with no actual level/ attack value listed, and only rank is displayed, yet some players clearly seems to hit harder than other players despite low rank. The whole premise is not clearly defined in the first place.

My initial impression of the movie is maybe 8/10, but it drops to 6/10 after that moment, and the only reason it still has 6 is because of good animation/ visual and nothing else. If this is in the novel or something, I'd probably drop that garbage novel instantaneously without looking back.

Seriously this show would have be much better if Kirito doesn't even exist and maybe Asuna being the lead since she doesn't create such stupid plot hole. I seriously hate those brain-dead plot convenience and the contradiction of weak ass mc turning op in an instant without any reasoning.

The old SAO has the exact same problem. Seriously Kirito is such a terribly written character with no redeeming quality.
Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 2:10 AM
Jan 26, 2018 1:43 AM

Aug 2017
Kirito has them ultramega gains, bruh.
Jan 26, 2018 1:53 AM

Nov 2007
I don't wanna get into any trouble so I will leave the link below:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1702148&show=50#msg53840200
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 26, 2018 2:02 AM

Nov 2014
You're surprised that SAO pulled a jesus-kun.... why exactly?

My thoughts mirrors yours as well, it was a decent movie but in the end they couldn't resist and pulled the their typical nonsense again. It was a genuinely hilarious moment when they ended everything with Kirito destroying an entire stadium of monster with one slash. Pretty terrible stuff, but absolutely gave me a laugh.

Thpugh
Ventus_S said:
My initial impression of the movie is maybe 8/10, but it drops to 6/10 after that moment.
is probably far to generous. 6/10 initially, which drops to 4/10. Not that bad, but still quite bad.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 26, 2018 2:05 AM

Nov 2011
tl;dr.

Kirito used to practice Kendo before he become full time nerd so him being good at real life isn't all that much of a strech, he just lack training (beside he never fight an actual swordman, whathisface was cheating with robot tech, without it, he is just an angst nerd.) Kirito have plenty of experience with SAO boss because of an obvious reason so he got more edges than other players.

It is dumb that he can solo all of them but its anime, not a real game.

Jan 26, 2018 2:09 AM

Oct 2017
KaiserNazrin said:
tl;dr.

Kirito used to practice Kendo before he become full time nerd so him being good at real life isn't all that much of a strech, he just lack training (beside he never fight an actual swordman, whathisface was cheating with robot tech, without it, he is just an angst nerd.) Kirito have plenty of experience with SAO boss because of an obvious reason so he got more edges than other players.

It's an anime that FEATURES REAL LIFE, especially in this movie.

The movie trying to emphasize that this is real life, and players have real life physical limitation in the first hour of the movie.

But Kirito completely broke this rule at the last 1/3 of the movie, thus plot hole and my complaint emerges.

It's about consistency of the power level within your anime's setting.
In SaO's case, it's real life, featuring NORMAL PEOPLE playing games.
It is not a fantasy setting with fantasy power like in power shonen of other anime.
Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 2:12 AM
Jan 26, 2018 2:18 AM

Nov 2011
Ventus_S said:
KaiserNazrin said:
tl;dr.

The movie trying to emphasize that this is real life, and players have real life physical limitation in the first hour of the movie.

But Kirito completely broke this rule at the last 1/3 of the movie, thus plot hole and my complaint emerges.

It is not a fantasy setting with fantasy power like in power shonen of other anime.

You are mad that Kirito is able to do all that but you forgot Asuna did the same thing? Hmm? She's just an ordinary girl that plays VRMMO a lot and yet for some reason she can also kick plenty of ass in AR. Perhaps, that game isn't as difficult as you think.

Jan 26, 2018 2:23 AM

Oct 2017
KaiserNazrin said:
Ventus_S said:

You are mad that Kirito is able to do all that but you forgot Asuna did the same thing? Hmm? She's just an ordinary girl that plays VRMMO a lot and yet for some reason she can also kick plenty of ass in AR. Perhaps, that game isn't as difficult as you think.

Asuna didn't show that she's weak as hell in the beginning.
She told Kirito to do more active training in real life, which she probably did on a daily base because she is able to keep fit during the first few OS boss battle.
She actively participate in OS to increase rank, having much more knowledge to OS instead of instantly becomes good at it like Kirito did, even in real life.
She moves like a normal human during the 2nd boss fight, relying on team-work with most of the players around her, commanding tropes and give advice to all the players as to how to beat the boss instead of fighting it herself.

Do I need to say more?
Like I said, it's all about CONSISTENCY of the power level.
It doesn't matter who's stronger if the show stays consistent to its premises.
Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 2:40 AM
Jan 26, 2018 3:07 AM

Nov 2011
Per
Ventus_S said:
KaiserNazrin said:

She told Kirito to do more active training in real life, which she probably did on a daily base because she is able to keep fit during the first few OS boss battle.
She actively participate in OS to increase rank, having much more knowledge to OS instead of instantly becomes good at it like Kirito did, even in real life.
She moves like a normal human during the 2nd boss fight, relying on team-work with most of the players around her, commanding tropes and give advice to all the players as to how to beat the boss instead of fighting it herself.

Do I need to say more?

The only reason Kirito look weak is because of lack of exercise. If you watch the movie, you should know that he eventually start training himself so it should be possible for him to perform better in the game. There's no reason for Asuna to be physically stronger than a man.

Kirito didn't just suddenly become rank 1 either. OS is just SAO in AR. He hardly need to learn anything. He fought all the boss before. If his body can perform just how he intend that there's no reason he can't be as powerful as in SAO.

That's just how Asuna fight in SAO. Kirito fight differently, he fight alone and the only one that can keep up with him is Asuna. He almost died so its not like its a cakewalk.

I hope not.
Nothing have changed. Kirito >> Asuna. If Asuna can do it, Kirito can do it better.

Jan 26, 2018 3:15 AM

Oct 2017
KaiserNazrin said:
Per
Ventus_S said:

Do I need to say more?

The only reason Kirito look weak is because of lack of exercise. If you watch the movie, you should know that he eventually start training himself so it should be possible for him to perform better in the game. There's no reason for Asuna to be physically stronger than a man.

Kirito didn't just suddenly become rank 1 either. OS is just SAO in AR. He hardly need to learn anything. He fought all the boss before. If his body can perform just how he intend that there's no reason he can't be as powerful as in SAO.

That's just how Asuna fight in SAO. Kirito fight differently, he fight alone and the only one that can keep up with him is Asuna. He almost died so its not like its a cakewalk.

I hope not.
Nothing have changed. Kirito >> Asuna. If Asuna can do it, Kirito can do it better.

Hahaha, your argument is so ridiculous that I seriously can't take you seriously any further.

So now being good at games suddenly make you perform equally as well in real life (chuckle). What a kid fantasy.
Oh, having training in abit of kento doesn't suddenly make you the best swordsman in the world, especially for someone like Kirito who lack training and only did one night last minute training hitting against air. (And that's BEFORE he one-shot the 3rd/4th/5th bosses)

Also that sexist gender bias , holy shit.
You have no idea how many women you have offended, and how a trained women can easily kick you otaku boys' ass if they try.

Jan 26, 2018 3:29 AM

Oct 2013
fuck man normally id join in but this is too fun so Ill just sit and watch
Jan 26, 2018 3:34 AM

Sep 2016
Looks like someone triggered a feminist. Let me grab a popcorn and enjoy this.
Jan 26, 2018 3:37 AM

Aug 2015
Kirito has been a Gary Stu for as long as SAO has existed, the movie was a memefest of all that is SAO. #wishfulfillmentcharacters
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 26, 2018 3:48 AM

Oct 2017
Stranger_Hanyo said:
Looks like someone triggered a feminist. Let me grab a popcorn and enjoy this.

Lol, I'm not even female, let alone a feminist.

Just from my common sense that his statement about that male/ female part is just ridiculous.
Jan 26, 2018 3:51 AM

Jan 2016
tl;dr.

Oh pls, c'mon. Without Kirito, SAO will not be popular like now.
Jan 26, 2018 3:55 AM

Feb 2016
It honestly surprises me that people still have the energy to shit on SAO
Jan 26, 2018 3:57 AM

Oct 2017
Detective1412 said:
tl;dr.

Oh pls, c'mon. Without Kirito, SAO will not be popular like now.

Actually it'd be more positively received world-wide instead of just being a popular hot garbage people joked about.

Jan 26, 2018 3:59 AM

Oct 2017
greymood said:
It honestly surprises me that people still have the energy to shit on SAO

Because I genuinely thought it could be good because the reception of the movie is pretty good, but it turns out to be another hot garbage over-hyped by fans in the end..

I'm not on those hate club or dick sucking club before that, I were more neutral about it until this movie.

Like seriously, how can this shit movie get the highest score in 2017 rating of Japan, winning even Made in Abyss!?
I'm genuinely shocked how bad of the taste Japan has.
https://www.anikore.jp/chronicle/2017/

Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 4:09 AM
Jan 26, 2018 4:03 AM

Jun 2017
There's a lot more that makes SAO bad besides Kirito.
But tbh, I don't really care.
The show's just awfully boring to me.
Jan 26, 2018 4:07 AM

Nov 2016
Deknijff said:

Mind to share ? That bowl looks too big.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 26, 2018 4:15 AM

Oct 2013
FMmatron said:
Deknijff said:
Mind to share ? That bowl looks too big.
think real fast my friend
throws popcorn at you
Jan 26, 2018 4:41 AM

Jan 2017
I know right, I don't really understand the point of this post we all already know this. So tell me something I don't know.
Jan 26, 2018 4:46 AM

Jul 2015
Kirito was a little bitch the whole movie. Asuna was better than him the entire time until the very end where he Deus Ex'd.
Jan 26, 2018 4:54 AM

Apr 2016
Let us not forget that movie is filler.

The actual filler.
Jan 26, 2018 4:58 AM

Oct 2017
Cladocera said:
Not gonna join the mess but I think @KaiserNazrin's arguments aren't ridiculous at all.
Kirito isn't weak. He looks bad from the start just because he doesn't reallly care (they clearly showed it to us), and may be lack of training. Before playing the game, he's good at Kendo (shown in the conversations between him and Suguha), so nothing weird if he can do it again. The point is to say "he can't do it only because he doesn't try".
Despite being irl, it's still a game. Not like they have to fight real monsters with physical strength, everything happens through the nervous system.
He pretty much only fight them bosses in OS, and they're not new. He fought them in SAO, so it's not strange if he can defeat them now.
Saying Kirito>Asuna isn't bias. He's stronger than her, which is proven in the first season. Eh, irl? A boy that practices Kendo and a girl that does daily exercise... not saying all the girls are weaker, but that's not the case here.
And what exactly did he do that a normal person can't? Running around and swinging a virtual sword? Their "powers" isn't real. Still a game, remember?

Ventus_S said:
I'm genuinely shocked how bad of the taste Japan has.

Also, I can't take someone saying this seriously. "My taste is better than yours", eh?

Keep saying that, but do you honestly think this movie is the best of the best among all anime this year?

According to Japan, the answer is yes.

I gave out my angle and argument of why I think it is clearly not already, and all you did is chop my statement and stance and judge it on its own.

Also you might want to rewatch the whole movie to see how flawed your argument is because they can literally jump/ move around like super-human if you're Kirito or the bad guy. It's not just particle effect of a game , it's physical movement that're impossible to achieve by human performed by an ordinary gamer who lacks training and play games everyday.

Before the movie, you can just argue that it's just an imbalanced game in virtual world, but after this movie which takes place literally in real world using real physical strength/ movement of a petty gamer, there's literally no saving ground for it.
Ventus_SJan 26, 2018 5:07 AM
Feb 9, 2018 3:07 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
NoobAsian said:
Kirito has been a Gary Stu for as long as SAO has existed, the movie was a memefest of all that is SAO. #wishfulfillmentcharacters

I dont see a problem with #wishfulfillmentcharacters, we watch anime, or anyother medium created by man, either movies, books or TV series, and most of them are for us to escape reality into fantasy, a refugee from the boring reality.
So as long as each one of us is enjoying it and not harming anyone else in the process, it is something that is up to each individiual, and no one else has the right to say shit.

Of course too much wishfullfilment is bad, I would easily get tired if I only seen plots with gary and mary tsus going at it.
SAO series has alot of it, more on the anime since the LN puts the MCs in a much better context (hope they nail Eugeo and Kirito on Alic.), as such that aspect on the LN is far less annoying.

But I have to agree with the OP, that Kirito power up felt kinda dumb.
Thankfully the movie had alot of positives that quickly overshadow negative aspects like this one.
Feb 9, 2018 8:39 PM

Aug 2015
Playcool said:
NoobAsian said:

it is something that is up to each individiual, and no one else has the right to say shit.

So basically, you're saying that opinions, that aren't positive or conform with your own ideas, can't be expressed on a medium where we are talking about... opinions? Great logic there, 10/10. As a matter of fact, you do have a right to say shit, you're not obliged to agree with me though.

Playcool said:
I dont see a problem with #wishfulfillmentcharacters, we watch anime, or anyother medium created by man, either movies, books or TV series, and most of them are for us to escape reality into fantasy, a refugee from the boring reality.

Continuing on the notion of opinions, if you like these kinds of characters then that is your prerogative, as it is my own to have a less positive opinion on them.

A Gary Stu/Mary Sue character, for me, is like playing a game on very easy mode. Some people enjoy it, sure, but I detest it. I find it boring when a character can solve anything and everything without much effort or is miraculously saved and ends up saving the day.

There are times where I might make an exception, that character might have a little more depth to them as far as characterisation goes while still filling the shoes of a wish fulfillment character. In the case of Light Yagami from Death Note, he is the epitome of John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, who famously quoted “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” We witness a kid who started out with the right intentions, fall to corruption when given the power of life and death over living beings. The shift in temperament, deceiving even his closest allies right up until his demise. From here we can see a character who is simply more than just a character who has everything going for him. In Kirito's case, perish the thought, he lacks that level of development. Reki wrote him to be a God, what he is at the start and what he is at the end is very much the same person, save for being slightly more sociable. It would be a plausible hypothesis that he made brain burst (given how his whole perception on being good at games is reaction, not quite true for all games though...).
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Feb 10, 2018 4:13 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
NoobAsian said:

So basically, you're saying that opinions, that aren't positive or conform with your own ideas, can't be expressed on a medium where we are talking about... opinions? Great logic there, 10/10. As a matter of fact, you do have a right to say shit, you're not obliged to agree with me though.
Continuing on the notion of opinions, if you like these kinds of characters then that is your prerogative, as it is my own to have a less positive opinion on them.

A Gary Stu/Mary Sue character, for me, is like playing a game on very easy mode. Some people enjoy it, sure, but I detest it. I find it boring when a character can solve anything and everything without much effort or is miraculously saved and ends up saving the day.

There are times where I might make an exception, that character might have a little more depth to them as far as characterisation goes while still filling the shoes of a wish fulfillment character. In the case of Light Yagami from Death Note, he is the epitome of John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, who famously quoted “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” We witness a kid who started out with the right intentions, fall to corruption when given the power of life and death over living beings. The shift in temperament, deceiving even his closest allies right up until his demise. From here we can see a character who is simply more than just a character who has everything going for him. In Kirito's case, perish the thought, he lacks that level of development. Reki wrote him to be a God, what he is at the start and what he is at the end is very much the same person, save for being slightly more sociable. It would be a plausible hypothesis that he made brain burst (given how his whole perception on being good at games is reaction, not quite true for all games though...).

Good response there, let me rephrase it then, I dont like each individual should be allowed to harshly criticize others like we see many times on this website, on the subject of something like personal taste, it is okay to say "I just dont like what you like, granted I really dislike X or Y", "Fuck you, you have shit taste, you are a moron, it is because of people like you that we are seeing the cancerous state anime is going on nowadays" now this is clearly wrong in many levels, and that is what I wanted to refer with that above, it is okay to have different opinions and be clear about each one's standing as long as you respect eachother when you state your views on a subject. I rarely ever engaged on SAO discussions, they are truly one of the biggest time wastes ever, but even myself get slighy annoyed to see topics like this keep beeing created over and over again, which is why I commented.

As for the second part of your reply, like I stated, moderation works the best for me, I dont have a problem with all these troupes and archtypes or whatever it is called, keep been bringing over and over again, as long as the content I see isnt plastered with it all over, being selective and not following most airings has worked so far for me.
And I have to say again, I dont find characters like Kirito or this boyo here...:

...boring at all, neither do I find they are the epitome of the gary tsu, having readed both LNs before, it all becomes way more clear for me and changes the way I see the anime adaptations which fail to cover alot of context of what goes through each's mind. Been almost 2 years now since I last had contact with SAO, and even more for Mahouka, there are alot of other different series to pursue that make the whole experience far more diverse and just fun, and at the same time, I dont think SAO deserves the popularity it gets, there are way better stuff outhere that get almost no recognizion compared to SAO, but SAO is really appealing on the subject of future new tecnhologies (not a MMO guy), so I can understand some of its reach.

The movie balanced it well for Kirito, aside that powerup near the conclusion that was a bit absurd, but I dont see anyone complaining as much when that shit happens in shounen though (yet most shonen give it a bit more screen development before powering up, the so called training arcs).
PlaycoolFeb 10, 2018 4:17 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Feb 18, 2017

380 by CcCharles »»
Apr 6, 1:32 AM

» feel sorry for yuna

Nagiue - Dec 24, 2023

6 by ItzElite »»
Dec 24, 2023 3:01 PM

» plot hole

MCA5EY - Sep 21, 2018

10 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jul 30, 2023 9:40 AM

» Why R+ - Mild Nudity?

winfoharso - Mar 4, 2020

19 by Kirito_online »»
Aug 10, 2022 5:06 AM

» Somebody should fix the Source from Light novel to Original

KiraShitpostKage - Jul 20, 2020

1 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 4, 2020 11:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.