Forum Settings
Forums

yaoi fans: what yaoi tropes do you hate? like?

New
Jan 12, 2018 6:04 PM

Jan 2018
what yaoi trope do you hate the most? which ones do you like?

edit: just wanted to note...if you're a straight guy here to leave irrelevant bullshit: i don't care if you don't like yaoi. we get it, you're a straight dude and you hate gay stuff lol. you dont have to reply to prove how straight you are. just go away if you hate yaoi

let me reiterate this, in call caps because some of you just refuse to/can't read: I DON'T CARE IF YOU HATE THE YAOI GENRE AS A WHOLE! that isn't what this question is about, brenda! nobody cares if you hate gay stuff, shannon!

edit 2: changed the title to say yaoi fans and there are STILL people who don't even like yaoi on this thread. in simple terms: if you don't like yaoi, i don't care about your opinion on this topic.

i hate:
- constantly pointing out that they're both men
- non-consensual stuff
- when the uke is overly-feminine and the seme is overly-masculine just to stick to the "roles"
- only thing going for him in his life is his lover, no personality otherwise
- "i dont love you but i'll continue to have sex with you and lead you on"

i like:
- love triangles (i know i know)
- office romances
- childhood friends become lovers when they're adults
- sassy uke (lololol)
- seme that dotes on the uke (it's just so cute)
ratteethJan 14, 2018 7:23 PM
the more you tried, the more you knew, this had been the way they’d built you, in the body of a ball jointed doll, you’re so fragile you can’t move at all
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2018 6:09 PM

May 2010
You should watch Superlovers OP. I think you'll really like it ;]

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jan 12, 2018 6:14 PM

Jan 2018
Johan said:
You should watch Superlovers OP. I think you'll really like it ;]

hey! thanks for the suggestion. i've already watched a few episodes. i'm not into adult and minor relationships though. regardless, it is very well-made compared to the yaoi anime that are currently available.
the more you tried, the more you knew, this had been the way they’d built you, in the body of a ball jointed doll, you’re so fragile you can’t move at all
Jan 12, 2018 6:15 PM

May 2014
Hmm, I haven't watched enough yaoi to really have an opinion on that.
Jan 12, 2018 6:17 PM

Jan 2013
As long as it's not abusive and doesn't have emotional blackmailing like Koisuru Boukun it's good enough.
Jan 12, 2018 6:20 PM

Jan 2018
Ericonator said:
Hmm, I haven't watched enough yaoi to really have an opinion on that.

that's cool, it really isn't for everyone haha. however, i recommend you check at least one out at some point in time! start out with some shounen ai manga, or a classic show like sekaiichi hatsukoi. (the main couple in sekaiichi has a lot of tropes i dislike and the art isn't the greatest, but it was pretty much my introduction to yaoi.) or, if you want a show that isn't centered on romance but still has a gay relationship, check out no.6!
Jan 12, 2018 6:20 PM

Feb 2016
er... it's honestly pretty hard to think of good yaoi tropes. I guess that really good friends turning into lovers is pretty sweet, but then again this is not yaoi-exclusive

my most disliked trope would be when one of them plays the "man" role and the other plays the "woman", which makes me really aware that i'm reading something made for girls

talking about manga though; i'm yet to see a good yaoi anime
llorandoJan 12, 2018 6:30 PM
Jan 12, 2018 6:24 PM

Jan 2018
greymood said:
talking about manga though; i'm yet to see a good yaoi anime

this is true. hopefully that will change in the future!
Jan 12, 2018 6:25 PM

Dec 2015
I cannot hate yaoi tropes because i fucking hate yaoi as a whole because its a shitty genre created by horny fucking 40 year old women that should've never been created because its the doom of human civilization and everyone who likes it is objectively wrong fucking fight me
Jan 12, 2018 6:27 PM

Jan 2018
Fran said:
I cannot hate yaoi tropes because i fucking hate yaoi as a whole because its a shitty genre created by horny fucking 40 year old women that should've never been created because its the doom of human civilization and everyone who likes it is objectively wrong fucking fight me

that's your opinion. please only reply if you can contribute an answer to my question :)
Jan 12, 2018 6:28 PM

Apr 2017
Straight male here. Don't hate yaoi, but I don't really watch it much. I need to see Yuri on Ice tho
Jan 12, 2018 6:32 PM

Jan 2018
-Spades- said:
Straight male here. Don't hate yaoi, but I don't really watch it much. I need to see Yuri on Ice tho

hey, regardless of gender or sexuality you can watch whatever you want! hell, i'm a gay male and i'll read/watch yuri series that aren't too overly-sexual.
however, i wouldn't consider yuri on ice yaoi. (there's a difference i won't go into.) check it out, though!
Jan 12, 2018 6:33 PM

Dec 2015
ratteeth said:
Fran said:

that's your opinion. please only reply if you can contribute an answer to my question :)

ok then every single fucking one are shit :)
Jan 12, 2018 6:35 PM

Jan 2018
Fran said:
ratteeth said:

you've made that clear that you think that, by now. if you're looking for an argument, go elsewhere!
Jan 12, 2018 6:42 PM

Dec 2015
ratteeth said:
Fran said:

you've made that clear that you think that, by now. if you're looking for an argument, go elsewhere!

i am a bored person on some weird internet forum and you can't stop meeeeeeeee
Jan 12, 2018 6:43 PM

Jan 2018
_Hero_ said:
When they make me question my sexuality that is great, but then, I don't have much experience with Yaoi that is story-driven... what I mean is that my experience with yaoi is mostly doujins and other fap material... I know, I know.

you're not alone! but i do recommend you check out some that are story driven. there are some real tear-jerkers!
Jan 12, 2018 6:55 PM
Mar 2016
time to make a list

Dislikes
- Rape/ abusive relationships
- Whiny ukes
- " b- But we're both men!!"
- dicks that are censored by a tiny bar like seriously if you gonna censor go all the way pls
-bloody
- no personality

- shy seme/ loving seme
- ukes that aren't shy or at least isn't a rug for the seme
-yaoi hands because they make me laugh
-weird shit as long as it is consensual because it makes me laugh(ie. babies doing stuff in mothers womb)

thats pretty much it
Jan 12, 2018 7:02 PM
serendipity

Oct 2015
omg i hate where the ones where they're like
ALWAYS going on about how wrong it is to like a guy

like can u just shut up & kiss already

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Jan 12, 2018 7:07 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Pretty much everything you stated. I'm kind of vary of even watching "yaoi" anymore due to this and even reading it is kind of EHHHHH.

And many of things are due to romance tropes being rail guarded up to a thousand as well.

I'd say the whole rape/noncon shit is pretty tiring and always a X from me. I used to tolerate it when I was younger but you basically only see this in gay romances because if it's the same gender they can handle it better???? It's not really in modern day manga but gag me.

+++ Falling in love just because they know the other one is gay or just cause they're a guy.
Jan 12, 2018 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
Like:
When the relationship actually seems cute and it extends beyond needless sexuality.
The men both to some extent look to be normal and don’t have over exaggerated features. i.e. there’s no yaoi hands.
Less sex and more romanticism.
No fetishistic gay stereotypes.

Dislike:
The opposite of the above, pretty much
Jan 12, 2018 8:12 PM

Feb 2016
_Hero_ said:
Okay this picked my interest, the hell are yaoi hands?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yaoi-hands

some big fucking hands, usually the top
llorandoJan 12, 2018 8:15 PM
Jan 12, 2018 9:47 PM

Jan 2018
_Hero_ said:
Okay this picked my interest, the hell are yaoi hands?

HAHA. you were such an innocent soul until today.
Jan 12, 2018 9:47 PM

Jan 2018
nicethings said:
Like:
When the relationship actually seems cute and it extends beyond needless sexuality.
The men both to some extent look to be normal and don’t have over exaggerated features. i.e. there’s no yaoi hands.
Less sex and more romanticism.
No fetishistic gay stereotypes.

Dislike:
The opposite of the above, pretty much

THIS!! i hate the fetishism soooo much. ugh.
Jan 12, 2018 10:21 PM

Jun 2011
ratteeth said:
what yaoi trope do you hate the most?

edit: just wanted to note...if you're a straight guy here to leave irrelevant bullshit: i don't care if you don't like yaoi. we get it, you're a straight dude and you hate gay stuff lol. you dont have to reply to prove how straight you are. just go away if you hate yaoi

i hate:
- constantly pointing out that they're both men
- non-consensual stuff
- when the uke is overly-feminine and the seme is overly-masculine just to stick to the "roles"
- only thing going for him in his life is his lover, no personality otherwise
- "i dont love you but i'll continue to have sex with you and lead you on"

i like:
- love triangles (i know i know)
- office romances
- childhood friends become lovers when they're adults
- sassy uke (lololol)

I hate:

-When the Uke wants to be on top but the seme wont let him. I especially hate feign letting him but then cutting him off mid to flip him over and say he isn't good enough. (happens in Junjo Romantica and several other yaoi).

- "only you" #nohomo. I am not gay over and over. (Misaki worst character of all time) Pointing out they are both men goes along with this. "guys don't love other guys"- Shinji Ikari in the manga.

- Completely domestic Uke's with no life outside of their partner. And no explainable reason as to why.

-I hate when a character is shitty at cooking and the other one is great at cooking yet the one who is bad at cooking is expected to just #getgud. I don't care if the Uke cooks all the time. I care if either character is being force marched into learning a skill they suck at and the other one is good at. XD Nothing wrong with one person cooking all the time if the other sucks.

-Unless it is Mpreg yaoi, I really don't want to hear about dudes in "heat".

-Often there are some very specific brutal moments I hate. Like forced Catheters.... ew. No to playing doctor. I also don't like kidnapped plotlines.

Things I am OK with:
-- "i dont love you but i'll continue to have sex with you and lead you on"- as long as he warms up by the end, I don't care. (Eiri from Gravitation warms up, Misaki from Junjo Romantica does not.)

- Non-consent, so long as it isn't justified immediately like in Junjou Romantica. Rape can be a good plot engine.

-Stalker Semes so long as paired with straight guy who asserts his straightness and yeah it is rapey. XD It is my exception to "I'm not gay" because yeah, he isnt' and this dude keeps stalking him.

Things I like:
-Energetic cuties. Those hyper ukes who just want to love so much are adorable. (sorry Gravitation was my first yo!)

-Adult Film Stars. Honestly adore.

-Yakuzas, Deliquents, and Police officers Oh My! Am I in trouble with the law? Yush. I think I like crime yaoi way more than the rest.

-Seke or effectively seke feeling relationships. Best Example: 10 Dance. Yuri on Ice very much. But less felt by most is Neon Genesis Evangelion- which I feel is totally seke but the fandom seems to disagree...

-Rape Survivor finds love, especially with best friend. Best example: Complex.

-Rape Survivor is "fucked up" mentally. Best examples: Gravitation and Twittering Birds Never Fly.

-Power Bottom Uke, Subservant Seme (so flipped roles)- best example Twittering Birds Never Fly. Anime example, least how people view it: Black Butler.

-Tragic endings. Wont spoil.

-Surprise gay couples in not yaoi: Card Capture Sakura.

-Ukes who want the D.
Energetic-NovaJan 12, 2018 10:28 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 12, 2018 10:27 PM
Sep 2015
I wish Yaoi didn't all have shitty art styles that make the characters as feminine as possible. Just give them a normal look like other shows. Even if it's boring, at least it's not shit.
Jan 12, 2018 10:31 PM

Jun 2011
_Hero_ said:
When they make me question my sexuality that is great, but then, I don't have much experience with Yaoi that is story-driven... what I mean is that my experience with yaoi is mostly doujins and other fap material... I know, I know.

Well on this site, Yaoi and shonen ai are separated and they choose not to label everything that has gay in it, like Samurai Flamenco or Neon Genesis Evangelion or even Yuri on Ice.

If I were to suggest one that has a labeled anime but off label manga - Antique Bakery. Why? Because it is Seinen.
Jan 12, 2018 10:31 PM

Jun 2011
Daniel_Crowley said:
I wish Yaoi didn't all have shitty art styles that make the characters as feminine as possible. Just give them a normal look like other shows. Even if it's boring, at least it's not shit.

Antique Bakery exists... *sigh*...

But honestly, most anime dudes look feminine regardless. I don't even know what this complaint is about. Most people outside of the anime community think Inuyasha is female.

I don't even know how characters in Junjo Romantica look feminine at all. It is just an awful artstyle.

Gravitation had a better artstyle as did Loveless. And those have very girly looking characters. But at least they don't burn my eyes.
Energetic-NovaJan 12, 2018 10:36 PM
Jan 12, 2018 10:52 PM

Jun 2011
_Hero_ said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Well on this site, Yaoi and shonen ai are separated and they choose not to label everything that has gay in it, like Samurai Flamenco or Neon Genesis Evangelion or even Yuri on Ice.
I am aware of that.

If I were to suggest one that has a labeled anime but off label manga - Antique Bakery. Why? Because it is Seinen.
Eh? It appears to be a shoujo tho... at least that is what MAL tells me

It was published in a Seinen publication and by the same person who wrote What did you eat Yesterday. And that is also Seinen. The mangaka has written for both demographics. If I mixed stuff up, it is prob because all her characters look the same. Seriously huge flaw.

If I were to compare a lot of her work to something, it is like Kimi to Boku. Which is a shonen with feminine guys. And I swear more fem than any yaoi other than maybe Okane Ga nai...

There are also titles like 10 Dance which started as Jousei and went seinen.

The mangaka for Doukyuusei writes mostly for a neutral audience, and there is also straight and yuri stuff in there.
Real questions: Why isn't No.6 anime labeled when the manga is Shoujo? Real questions. XD

Death Note not having the Shonen label despite being published in Shonen Jump. Yeah. Real crimes.
Energetic-NovaJan 12, 2018 11:15 PM
Jan 12, 2018 10:58 PM

Feb 2012
Not a fan of the lil uzi dick in the booty tropes...
Jan 13, 2018 1:55 AM

Oct 2015
I don't really have a hate, but damn it's hot when they are somehow related. Papa no Darkness aahhhhhhhh

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Jan 13, 2018 4:08 AM

Apr 2017
I'm neutral on them, I don't hate them but I don't like them either.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 13, 2018 4:22 AM

Mar 2009
My issue is I find that a lot of series focus more on the romance than the personalities of the characters. I realize this is because a lot of yaoi/shounen ai are oneshots.... But this substance is lacking from the narrative and creates bigger issues.

Hm. I like when a story manages to avoid that, and is a bit more in depth in talking about the character's issues/personalities and their connection with each other.
Jan 13, 2018 4:24 AM

Apr 2014
i dislike feminene guys
i dislike very buffed/manly ukes
i dislike threesomes
i dislike 'whiny ukes' as someone mentioned above

I love everything else tbh
Jan 13, 2018 4:32 AM

Aug 2014
Quick shit questions.

If you watch yaoi doesn't mean that you're a gay?
Jan 13, 2018 4:34 AM

Sep 2017
Hate:
- Way-too-long denial.
- Non-consensual.
- Relationship only based on sex.
- Love triangle (it's always the one couple I wasn't hoping for that happen)
- Overly dominant seme + overly submissive and overly feminine uke.

Love:
- Characters with a personality !
- Cute stuff (like holding hands)
- Interchanging uke/seme roles.
- Well-developed relationship.
- Actually seeing the daily life of people.
- Childhood friends becoming lovers.
- Rivals becoming lovers.

ratteeth said:

This, also. Yes, please.
Jan 13, 2018 4:37 AM

Apr 2016
Hetachiyoni said:

Love:

OP is talking about Yaoi not what fujoshi want to see in battle shounens.
Jan 13, 2018 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
x The whole concept of Seme and Uke. They are both guys and individuals... should be. It's worse than dere-stereotypes.
x Rapish situations etc... Not only Yaoi. It also bugged me at Citrus and a few straight relationships.
x Age gaps with a boy under 14, 15 years and someone, who is older than 18, 20.
Jan 13, 2018 4:42 AM

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:
OP is talking about yaoi not what fujoshi want to see in battle shounens.

Well, yeah? Thank you. I've read OP's message, I know that?
HetachiyoniJan 14, 2018 3:11 PM
Jan 13, 2018 4:45 AM

Sep 2017
I agree with all the things you dislike and like too,but i deeply dislike love triangles that include a GIRL.
Like what?it annoys me to see a girl randomly wanting to go out with the MC although he is obviously in love with a man and it is VISIBLE LIKESTOPPLS.
On the positive side one thing that i like are when they both have some sort of passion or something they really like to do and support each other.
Kind of like on Yuri on ice!! :DD

By the way,i really recommend the manga koimonogatari,its more on the shounen-ai side but it shows how hard it is to come out gay and liking someone who is not attracted to males.
Its still on going and still has to get to the good part,if you have time check it out!
tookawaiiiJan 13, 2018 4:49 AM

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jan 13, 2018 12:07 PM

Jan 2018
Xaelath said:
Quick shit questions.

If you watch yaoi doesn't mean that you're a gay?

not always! i mean, personally i'm a gay male and i like yaoi. however, despite me not being sexually attracted to girls i'll still watch yuri! it isn't always a sexual thing.
Jan 13, 2018 12:09 PM

Jan 2018
Seiya said:
I also hate the fact that so many Yaoi/Shounen Ai fans are female. What are they doing? Get away from my sexy boys!

i don't mind girls watching and enjoying yaoi. when it annoys me is when it gets to a fetishization point...like when they only support gay relationships for their own fetishes and sexual stuff. you know? like the fujoshi with their "sinful gay ships."
Jan 13, 2018 12:10 PM

Jan 2018
tookawaiii said:
I agree with all the things you dislike and like too,but i deeply dislike love triangles that include a GIRL.
Like what?it annoys me to see a girl randomly wanting to go out with the MC although he is obviously in love with a man and it is VISIBLE LIKESTOPPLS.
On the positive side one thing that i like are when they both have some sort of passion or something they really like to do and support each other.
Kind of like on Yuri on ice!! :DD

By the way,i really recommend the manga koimonogatari,its more on the shounen-ai side but it shows how hard it is to come out gay and liking someone who is not attracted to males.
Its still on going and still has to get to the good part,if you have time check it out!

thank you for the recommendation!

also, i won't respond to all replies so i don't spam. but thank you all for responding here!
Jan 13, 2018 12:42 PM

Mar 2014
I hate: Rape. Student/teacher. Love triangles. When every single male character is gay. Traps. Pedo age ranges. Nekos. Emotional abuse. Any abuse really. Complicated stories. Bad endings. When nothing happens/they don't get together/don't even kiss.

I like: When it's purely about a relationship between 2 people, no outsiders trying to steal someone. Anything cute. Best friends who like each other.

I'm too fussy and this is why I don't read them anymore.
Like does there even exist a manga where it's 2 gay people in a relationship just doing cute things and going about their lives without any drama? Not even gay, every romance is too drama.
Jan 14, 2018 12:56 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I hate yaoi and fujoshis in general.
Jan 14, 2018 12:57 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:
Hetachiyoni said:

Love:

OP is talking about Yaoi not what fujoshi want to see in battle shounens.

be careful with the fujoshi hate or you'll get banned like i did.
Jan 14, 2018 1:11 AM
Jul 2018
dont Like:
1) abusive relationship
2) when one guy acts VERY masculine and the other one acts like a total girl, it just feels so unreal and weird. Like, c’mon, normal gays almost never act like either of these.
3) when they make one of them (or both) caring about only dicks (again, normal gays are not like this, that obsession rarely can be funny though)
Like:
1) when they actually have interactions and normal dialogs, not only all romantic and sexual stuff
2) cute moments in their relationship
3) guys with actual personality, motives (if needed for the plot), and backstory
Jan 14, 2018 1:26 AM

Apr 2016
StrangerMist said:
be careful with the fujoshi hate or you'll get banned like i did.

Not need to tell that to me, i already was. Twice.
Jan 14, 2018 6:50 PM

Jan 2018
StrangerMist said:

congratulations, but that wasn't the question!
Jan 14, 2018 7:01 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
ratteeth said:
StrangerMist said:

congratulations, but that wasn't the question!

Well, i was answering the question, and my answer DOES count in this thread.
Jan 14, 2018 7:17 PM

Sep 2017
wow it's a good thing i donb't like yaoi,
Edward Elric > your waifu

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - Yesterday

41 by LostSpectre »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Beach episode, hot spring episode or pool episode?

Absurdo_N - 1 hour ago

19 by Paul »»
9 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Yesterday

52 by PlasticRobot »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming anime which might touch No.1 ranking on MAL (Prediction) ( 1 2 )

ZXEAN - Mar 27

51 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

116 by notPara »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.