Forum Settings
Forums

(For people who pay for anime streaming) What do you do if the anime you want to watch isn't on the streaming service you use?

New
Dec 17, 2017 10:41 AM

Nov 2017
I'm not asking for advice for what I should do, I'm just wondering what you do in these situations.

Say you wanted to watch (for example) the original Kino no Tabi, but you only have a Crunchyroll premium account, and the original Kino no Tabi isn't on Crunchyroll. Do you guys just buy multiple services? Do you resort to illegal streaming? Do you just not watch it? I'm interested in what you do.
impastaDec 17, 2017 10:45 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2017 10:46 AM
Aug 2016
Just use the illegal streaming site.
Dec 17, 2017 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
It’s impossible to watch every anime legally unless you are a very rich man. I watch everything illegally lol. I’m sure there are those that only watch their anime legally, but they will be missing out on a lot of great anime until they decide to swallow their pride... Or their wallets.
Dec 17, 2017 10:53 AM

Feb 2010
I always imagine legal streaming fans as these mindless drones who don't have any preferences and just watch whatever is available, whatever Crunchy gracefully allows them to watch. If they don't stick to that methodology their PR guy will probably start insulting them on twitter so if they watch stuff that isn't legally available they will have to be sneaky about it not to attract his wrath.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 17, 2017 10:54 AM

Feb 2016
I travel to Japan and search the ancient shinto shrine archives for lost VHS casettes.
Dec 17, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2016
If it is not on Crunchyroll then I use kissanime. Also I steal peoples crunchyroll accounts. I prefer to use crunchyroll just because there are no ads. Kissanime is riddled with pop-up ads now. I remember the days when kissanime had less ads.
Dec 17, 2017 12:40 PM

Jan 2017
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
If it is not on Crunchyroll then I use kissanime. Also I steal peoples crunchyroll accounts.

How do you steal crunchyroll accounts? Just curious xD
Dec 17, 2017 12:41 PM

Mar 2014
>People who pay for anime streaming
Wow, what a story Mark
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 17, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2015
I "limit" myself to legal streaming sites. If I desperately want to watch something on another streaming site, other than what I have (CR, HiDive, Netflix), I subscribe to that service for a short duration (a month) to watch that series. If its not available on those services, I do buy the BD or DVD.

Though as a preface, I don't watch the way most people watch. This has been my approach for about 1-2 years. For seasonals, I try to watch everything that those sites (Hidive/CR) simulcast, then continue watching or drop a series depending on if I enjoy it. This Fall, I started with 43 shows and, currently, I'm down to 32 shows that I'm eager to finish to completion. In addition to that, I watch at least two completed series at a daily pace from my subscriptions. From the three subscriptions I have, there's 882 titles (I do have a spreadsheet...) that I'm interested in and have not watched. I'll save the worrying about watching non-available shows until I exhaust those libraries.

TLDR: If not available on my subscriptions, I'll subscribe to other sites or buy the BDs/DVDs. If not available in either way, I worry about it later since I'm already watching a ton series at the moment (and foreseeable future).
GraumannDec 17, 2017 1:06 PM
Dec 17, 2017 12:59 PM

Jul 2016
AisBarbs said:
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
If it is not on Crunchyroll then I use kissanime. Also I steal peoples crunchyroll accounts.

I use this website called nulled people extract data from the crunchyroll login page and post hundreds of premium accounts. There is also other streaming sites available.
Dec 17, 2017 1:01 PM

Aug 2017
AisBarbs said:
Gustavo_Thepanda said:

I bet he didn't mean literally "steal", its more like he runs the leaked premium accounts (Which are actually all over the place rn) of chrunchyroll, Search it up.....You'll get 5-10+ yourself.
Dec 17, 2017 1:07 PM

Aug 2017
I know this forum ain't for me, But I just wanted to put my ULTIMATE anime obtaining way out their!

First I keep 1 premium Chrunchyroll account (Ofc the leaked one, I'm to damn broke to pay monthly)

Keep the option of downloading anime's Which I can't find in chrunchyroll, Such as HorribleSubs and Nyaa.si and then their are the torrent sites.

Keep the option of online streaming open for me as well, Like 9anime, Kissanime, GoGoanime and a few more.

By this way, I end up with the best experience possible with no delay what so ever of what I want.
Also! #720pMasterRace
Dec 17, 2017 1:07 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah I never change their passwords although many people do which I think is pointless because then the original owner just uses their recovery email.
Dec 17, 2017 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
I made the mistake of prepaying for a year of Funimation and then still used illegal streaming sites more than half the time because their video player is terrible.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 17, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2017
Watch it illegally I guess... I haven't become that desperate yet.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Dec 17, 2017 1:33 PM

Dec 2016
Watch it on illegal services or torrent it. If it isn't on Crunchyroll, I won't hesitate to go to those sites.
Dec 17, 2017 3:27 PM

Jan 2012
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
Yeah I never change their passwords although many people do which I think is pointless because then the original owner just uses their recovery email.
people don't realize their accounts are being used by others?
I mean there is a history tab and you can notice if there are animes/episodes you haven't watched
Dec 17, 2017 3:29 PM

Jul 2016
I have been using someones account for months I sometimes check the history to see what they are watching.
Dec 17, 2017 3:37 PM

Dec 2015
If it's not on vrv or hidive than I watch illegally. I don't give a fuck.
Dec 17, 2017 3:40 PM

Nov 2009
Buy the bluray/dvd. Try other legal streaming sites. However as I don't watch that many anime due to having life and other hobbies this isn't really an issue for me. I would rather not watching it than helping pirate gain views.
VyzassDec 19, 2017 3:47 PM
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Dec 17, 2017 5:21 PM

Apr 2015
If it's an older show, I'll look and see if my local library has the series on DVD to check out, or if I can ILL it.

It's an archaic method I never see people mention when talking about "legal watching" and as an advocate of libraries, it irks me to no end.
jr637Dec 17, 2017 5:26 PM

Explaining my scoring system would take more than 650 characters.
Dec 17, 2017 5:32 PM
Sep 2017
Blarey said:
It’s impossible to watch every anime legally unless you are a very rich man. I watch everything illegally lol. I’m sure there are those that only watch their anime legally, but they will be missing out on a lot of great anime until they decide to swallow their pride... Or their wallets.
thats dumb if we dont pay for it then were ruining anime in a way people like you should be obligated to pay a fine it illegal
Dec 17, 2017 5:41 PM

Nov 2017
jr637 said:
If it's an older show, I'll look and see if my local library has the series on DVD to check out, or if I can ILL it.

It's an archaic method I never see people mention when talking about "legal watching" and as an advocate of libraries, it irks me to no end.

I always forget that libraries aren’t just for books anymore. Having fun isn’t hard with a library card.
Dec 17, 2017 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
impossablank said:
jr637 said:

I always forget that libraries aren’t just for books anymore. Having fun isn’t hard with a library card.

I have so many movies checked out right now. Since my winter break started on Friday, I've finished 3 movies and 1 series from the library.

Dec 17, 2017 5:47 PM

Jun 2014
OP, where would you go to legally stream the original Neon Genesis Evangelion? Oh wait you can't and your only legal alternative would be to buy the out-of-stock DVDs which are ridiculously overpriced.

Piracy always finds a way and is very much an availability issue.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 17, 2017 5:49 PM

Apr 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
OP, where would you go to legally stream the original Neon Genesis Evangelion? Oh wait you can't and your only legal alternative would be to buy the out-of-stock DVDs which are ridiculously overpriced.

You know who likely has DVDs of Evangelion and is 100% legal?

YOUR LIBRARY.

Dec 17, 2017 5:53 PM

Jun 2014
jr637 said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

YOUR LIBRARY.

Nah mate, last time I checked we don't have a anime section. Only Pokemon/Yugioh is found in the kids department. You're delusional thinking all libraries are well-stocked with a massive anime catalogue when that is far from the case.
Dec 17, 2017 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
jr637 said:

YOUR LIBRARY.

Nah mate, last time I checked we don't have a anime section. Only Pokemon/Yugioh is found in the kids department. You're delusional thinking all libraries are well-stocked with a massive anime catalogue when that is far from the case.

True, and that lack of selection is a particular problem for smaller and rural libraries. However, most libraries should let you submit Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests to borrow from other libraries if you need something not available at your library, so it should still be possible to get anime through your library, if not from it.

Of course, that still brings in the issue of convenience...
jr637Dec 17, 2017 6:07 PM

Dec 17, 2017 6:04 PM

Mar 2016
I pay for Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (+Prime Video)...
If they don't have what I want, I torrent or use KissAnime. Actually, even if they do have what I want, I prefer to get it through Kiss or torrents. CR has shitty servers, I have to use Edge to watch Netflix to actually get 1080p due to bad DRM, and I don't like Prime Video... I cancelled my CR sub recently but it already renewed so I still have it for almost another year. One it's gone I'm never going back. They have server troubles pretty much every week and that's just not acceptable for a paid service imo.

I used to take out anime DVDs form the library when I was younger. Ours had an anime section, and all the libraries in the area were connected so if one had something I wanted, I would just place an order for it and someone would bring it to the one closest to me. EZPZ but I haven't been to a library in years.
iridiDec 17, 2017 6:09 PM

artist | doofus | joiner (but not finisher) of challenges
Dec 17, 2017 6:11 PM

Jun 2014
jr637 said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

True, and that lack of selection is a particular problem for smaller and rural libraries. However, most libraries should let you submit Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests to borrow from other libraries if you need something not available at your library, so it should still be possible.

I live in a major city and still have this problem. We do have a graphic novel/manga section which is tiny as it lays claim to a small corner next to the entrance but that's about it. You do realise that no value is being generated to the content creators? Borrowing a second-hand copy will not see $$$ go back to the production committees along with illegal streaming. I do go to the cinemas to watch the latest anime films as I know my money is paying for the distribution license.

Its so much of a hassle having to turn up to the library, when its just one click of a button away on site that shall not be named due to rules. The moral thing to do is to borrow DVD/BDs as no advertisment money is made to those illegal sites who are using another's IP.

When I was a kid, I did submit an interlibrary loan for some pokemon movie and well... not a single library in my county/district had it.
Dec 17, 2017 6:14 PM

Sep 2011
i normally pray and hope kami-sama sends it in a dream to me
Dec 17, 2017 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
jr637 said:

True, and that lack of selection is a particular problem for smaller and rural libraries. However, most libraries should let you submit Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests to borrow from other libraries if you need something not available at your library, so it should still be possible.

I live in a major city and still have this problem. We do have a graphic novel/manga section which is tiny as it lays claim to a small corner next to the entrance but that's about it. You do realise that no value is being generated to the content creators? Borrowing a second-hand copy will not see $$$ go back to the production committees along with illegal streaming. I do go to the cinemas to watch the latest anime films as I know my money is paying for the distribution license.

Its so much of a hassle having to turn up to the library, when its just one click of a button away on site that shall not be named due to rules. The moral thing to do is to borrow DVD/BDs as no advertisment money is made to those illegal sites who are using another's IP.

When I was a kid, I did submit an interlibrary loan for some pokemon movie and well... not a single library in my county/district had it.

Yeah, I noticed you spelled catalog wrong, (JOKE) so I figured you might not be from the US. My knowledge of library systems is limited to the US, so it might be different in your area.

Dec 17, 2017 6:24 PM

Dec 2015
I've watched 4k episodes of anime, all of them from illegal streaming websites. To be honest people who only watch anime legally are fucking idiots.
Dec 17, 2017 8:07 PM

Sep 2014
Youtube, dailymotion or rutube. Yes yes I watch anime on dailymotion.
Dec 17, 2017 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
Graumann said:
I started with 43 shows and, currently, I'm down to 32 shows that I'm eager to finish to completion.

Dude... how? As a working person that I take you are how do you get time for that many seasonals? Like, do you not watch already completed series and you devote all your time to seasonal anime?
Dec 17, 2017 8:33 PM

Nov 2014
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
AisBarbs said:
EngravedinDeath said:
I bet he didn't mean literally "steal", its more like he runs the leaked premium accounts (Which are actually all over the place rn) of chrunchyroll, Search it up.....You'll get 5-10+ yourself.
That sounds like the most pointless thing to do ever. The only reason you'd even consider paying for Crunchyroll is to support the anime industry, because their service is far inferior to any alternatives. If you are stealing a Crunchyroll account to gain access to anime, might as well just torrent or use illegal streaming sites.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 17, 2017 9:06 PM

Jan 2010
Me reading some of the comments here:

OP literally just asked people who pays for their anime what they would do if the anime they want is not available on legal streaming sites.

The thread turned into legal vs illegal bullshit.

Why people care how others get their anime? Even go as far as calling those people idiots sigh

I watch all my anime ilegally, but for people who prefer to watch everything legally then it's their choice. If they are missing out, then it's their own risk and pretty sure they already know it

Some people like to somehow support the industry as well, and I respected them than people who watch their anime ilegally AND insults people who do legal streaming
Dec 17, 2017 9:28 PM

Nov 2014
Shicchi said:
OP literally just asked people who pays for their anime what they would do if the anime they want is not available on legal streaming sites.
It does show something when someone asks for legal anime streamers, yet mostly only people who watch their anime illegally reply. Whether you think that's just a representation of MAL or it could be applied to the larger anime watching base is up to you.

But yeah it's kinda sad how illegal means are not only mainstream, it's really openly accepted and in fact people can be openly hostile to people who use legal means. It's a combination at the sheer incompetence of distributers of anime (mostly on the Japan side) and the huge demand that has gone ignored for years and years. So much so that the demand has been seeking their content for so long that it's almost crazy to think of anime without illegal means.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 17, 2017 9:52 PM

Jun 2007
Pullman said:
I always imagine legal streaming fans as these mindless drones who don't have any preferences and just watch whatever is available, whatever Crunchy gracefully allows them to watch.
Surely you know that CR is not the only legal site out there.

Blarey said:
Why does everyone always think it has to be so black-or-white, all-or-nothing? In my experience at non-bootleg-booster anime communities, people will subscribe to one or more (though probably not all) legal services, and usually collect DVD/BD releases as well. There are also other options, like subscribing to some sites, and watching with ads on others. And if something truly compelling is not legally available, then yes, they might watch it via illegal methods. Maybe even the same flagship bootleg streaming site so beloved on MAL.

Sure, you could call these fans out for not being 100% consistent. No doubt the industry would ideally like everyone to consume all of their anime legally. However, I'm fairly sure the industry would much prefer these "inconsistent" fans who pay into the system and consume "pretty much everything, except the obscure/expired stuff" legally over "consistent" anime viewers who consume everything illegally.

FireEmblemIke24 said:

If availability is the issue, why is KA's Most Popular list completely dominated by titles that are (at least for the ~30-35% of USA-originating traffic) legally available? Even Evangelion TV is less popular on a views-per-month basis than many mediocre modern anime. Viewers with legal options aren't going there for the rare/obscure gems; they largely want the same shows streamed on legit sites, just without having to pay subscription fees or watch ads.

To answer the OP's question, the 2003 Kino's Journey series is very much legally available, without a paid subscription or even a login, when I tried it. If viewers think navigating to multiple legal sites is too much of a hassle, it's curiously not a mindset that extends to bootleg sites, where people have no issue going to half a dozen or more sites if one goes down or doesn't have a given title. The grousing over multiple subscriptions would certainly suggest an issue viewers have with pricing, contrary to personality-cult leader Gabe Newell's proclamations.
Dec 17, 2017 9:54 PM

Jun 2012
Well, what I would do is I would I saddle up on my highest horse and type up the most self-important and self-serving e-mail to the support team of the website. I would announce my distaste and dissatisfaction about not getting every little thing I want in the world website and exclaim that I will be terminating my subscription with them. Then I would wait for nothing to change and go to nyan whateverthefuck it's called and download it for free. Fuck contributing to the system.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 17, 2017 9:58 PM

Apr 2015
fruits_punch95 said:

Dude... how? As a working person that I take you are how do you get time for that many seasonals? Like, do you not watch already completed series and you devote all your time to seasonal anime?

Out of those 32, there are 8 shorts (ranging from 3 to 12 minutes); so it's not too daunting. Plus its just one episode per week. I do work the regular 40 hours each week and also have spare time. On each week day, I would spend approximately 8 hours working, 7 hours sleeping, 2-3 hours of anime, and then leftover time of 6-7 hours. Let's say three hours are spent on daily "necessities" like eating, cleaning, showering, groceries, bills, exercise, commuting to work (short commute), etc. I'd still have 3-4 hours of leftover time. It does help that I'm a young adult, without needing to yet care for kids, and save socializing for weekends.

I do try to never watch more than 3 hours on weekdays since I'll start to fatigue. For any leftover episodes, I just finish them on weekends.

On side note, I am currently watching two non-seasonals. That sometimes goes up to four if I happen to have a low seasonal count (say less than 20).
GraumannDec 17, 2017 10:04 PM
Dec 17, 2017 10:49 PM

May 2017
You pirate that shit. Be a good person as much as you can, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Dec 18, 2017 12:43 AM

Sep 2017
Fortunately I have such a big backlog on my ptw that I havnt had to leave CR or Netflix yet. At some point I will and I'll just buy the DVD/ blu-ray. Illegal streaming is my last resort and I'd try to find a show on a legal streaming site (other than CR or Netflix) before-hand.
Dec 18, 2017 12:59 AM

Jul 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
AisBarbs said:
EngravedinDeath said:
That sounds like the most pointless thing to do ever. The only reason you'd even consider paying for Crunchyroll is to support the anime industry, because their service is far inferior to any alternatives. If you are stealing a Crunchyroll account to gain access to anime, might as well just torrent or use illegal streaming sites.

Well as I said illegal streaming sites are full of ads hence why I don't like to use them. Even if you try to use adblock they block you from streaming and also many pop-ups from those sites bypass adblock. Also torrents are really risky you might get a trojan.
Dec 18, 2017 1:47 AM

Nov 2014
Gustavo_Thepanda said:
BurningSpirit said:

Well as I said illegal streaming sites are full of ads hence why I don't like to use them. Even if you try to use adblock they block you from streaming and also many pop-ups from those sites bypass adblock. Also torrents are really risky you might get a trojan.
I've heard really bizarre things when it comes to people watching anime, but "I steal a Premium Crunchyroll account to watch anime because illegal streaming sites have too much ads and torrents might give me a trojan" takes the cake.

Ads block actually works fine with streaming sites, I've been using one from the start which still works till now (not that I stream anime anymore, but I just checked). Also I've never gotten a trojan or any virus while torrenting. It's quite unlikely to happen and I've never actually heard of anyone who got a virus torrenting anime honestly. In fact I think anime torrenting is actually pretty good, with some people actually bothering to seed.

My MAL Interview
Dec 18, 2017 1:56 AM
Aug 2014
I only stream through legal methods or not at all. I've bought some blurays, but only after I streamed them first. I don't consider myself limited when taking into account just how much anime gets added to legal streaming sites and the limited number of hours in a day. Just because a site doesn't have every single anime ever made doesn't mean there's nothing to watch; and I chose what to watch or avoid, no different than if you use an illegal site, so it's hardly like I'm being force fed certain anime any more than anyone else is.
Dec 18, 2017 2:40 AM

May 2017
Lol the thread says (For people who pay for anime streaming) still there are way more people commenting who don't actually pay that's hilarious
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2017 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
I'm subscribed to:

Anime Strike
Crunchyroll
Funimation
HiDive
Netflix

Which usually covers 99% of current series I want to watch unless it's name has Macross, Space Battleship Yamato, or Lyrical Nanoha in it. If none of those have it, I check for domestic DVD/BD releases if it's an old title and if that doesn't work or it's a new title then "other means" are used.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 18, 2017 7:42 PM

Feb 2016
Paying for multiple streaming services + buying Bluray/DVD/LD/whatever.
Dec 20, 2017 11:53 PM
Aug 2013
I use VRV myself, does not have everything, but it's enough for now.
If they jiggle, I wiggle.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Shouldn't Streaming Service be charging for Subtitles to keep up with cost?

Dragevard - Yesterday

24 by Zalis »»
1 minute ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 4 minutes ago

0 by Zhenro »»
4 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

99 by Legado »»
16 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 12 hours ago

22 by LoveLikeBlood »»
22 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - Yesterday

39 by LoveLikeBlood »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.