Forum Settings
Forums

What is your first anime? What do you think about it after you watched many other anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 20, 2017 8:08 AM
Aug 2016
I started off with Naruto series too and I would consider Naruto Shippuden a decent show if it wasn't for the garbage light novel arcs and the garbage ending.
Nov 20, 2017 8:11 AM

Apr 2016
First anime movie: Spirited Away
First anime series: Detective Conan

I don't know how I feel tbh. I've watched Spirited Away like 5 or 6 times and I still feel the same emotions. Not that it's my favourite anime tho. I've seen better after watching it.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Nov 20, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2017
Aside from like, Digimon, my first anime that I was aware of being an anime was Loveless. I need to watch it again sometime, but I still like it, except for the rushing and the ending without closure.
Nov 20, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2014
There were some anime on tv like pokemon, one piece, dash kappei etc when I was smol, but I consider my first anime to be death note. It was the first anime I chose to watch and watched all of it in the right order. After wathchng hundreds of animeys it is still my favorite. masterpiece.

dennyfftlNov 20, 2017 9:05 AM
Nov 20, 2017 8:21 AM

Apr 2017
The Moomin series of course. Best kids show ever. The Swedish voice actors are surprisingly great.

Nov 20, 2017 8:36 AM

Apr 2017
My first anime was kuroshitsuji. I thought that there is no such thing as a good anime except this one back then but after watching more shows, I realized that I was a fool.

But I still think that this show is pretty nice.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 20, 2017 8:49 AM

Aug 2017
arrietty was my first. i still think that it's a masterpiece
Nov 20, 2017 8:52 AM
May 2017
Senran Kagura. Wasn't really the best show, but the eye candy was nice, I guess
Nov 20, 2017 8:53 AM
May 2017
nbyung09 said:
My first anime is kiss x sis.
After I've watched many other anime, I hope there will be more anime like it.

I hope so too, I really do. Can't believe tho that that 'masterpiece' was your first anime
Nov 20, 2017 9:00 AM
Aug 2017
Kaichou wa maid sama. Still think it's one of the best romance animes and it really needs a second season
Nov 20, 2017 9:05 AM

Aug 2016
Not counting all the shows I watched as a kid, Pokemon, Digimon Dragon Ball Z etc, the one that got me into anime was Bleach.

Funnily enough I have been rewatching it recently with a friend, and I can safely say it is far from being a masterpiece, it has poor pacing, excessive amounts of filler, repeated plot points, and interesting side characters get pushed to the side, or even disappear entirely. And yet, I am still enjoying it just as much as the first time. I'd still count it among my favourites despite all it's flaws.
Nov 20, 2017 6:05 PM

Sep 2017
I remember the first anime I watched was Sailor Moon. When I first saw Sailor Moon I thought it was creative and an exciting feels trip. But even though I watch other animes, I still have Sailor Moon in my heart.
Nov 20, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2017
Apart from DBZ, Death Note. Both are still awesome! DBZ is just lots of fun and one of the best Shounen, Death Note is just amazing throughout (I don't think it ever goes to shit as many say) and very unique.

Nov 20, 2017 8:24 PM

Aug 2017
First I ever saw and finished was Witchblade, of all things.

Its been too long to remember much about it and compare.
Nov 20, 2017 8:25 PM

Mar 2016
Slam Dunk, Yuyu Hakusho, One Piece, Doraemon, Hunter x Hunter Classic, Zoidz, Voltes V, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Godzilla, ahh the child memories,
First japanese subbed anime, Fairy Tail, when it was still awesome at that time. Now I'm just seeking good animes like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
youseikiNov 20, 2017 11:43 PM
Nov 20, 2017 8:29 PM

Feb 2012
BurningSpirit said:
BararaqSaiqa said:
Naruto... I think it's trash. Definitely had some redeeming elements, like some badass characters, good fights and some deaths that offered extreme shock value but it was just filled with too many inconsistency's, plot holes, dumbass fillers and a terrible wrap up (imo)
I ended up dropping the series in the 200's of shippuden
Oh my, same! I dropped it at episode 263 of Shippuden. So much investment into something I eventually gave up on anyways...

Let me guess? You dropped at the Great Ninja War?
Lol yeah.. I dropped it before the whole confrontation in like the 240's can't quite remember the exact episode but yeah it just wasn't quite worth it for me anymore. I started watching bleach after and once again another series to be dropped in the 200's. I even dropped One Piece and just recently started to pick it up again but once again I'll prbly end up dropping it, the pacing is much too dreadful! It sucks when you've invested so much time into something just to end up being disappointed in the direction it takes... I just think about all the other great anime I could've spent that time watching but I guess it's what you get with this shitty medium called anime.... fuck it, I quit anime.
Nov 20, 2017 8:31 PM

Jun 2017
well , I'll not count the ones I watched without knowing they were Anime so , the first anime I saw was Death Note , about 4 years ago , and I still like it and respect it, but I still think that second half is terrible ...
JaredLopezNov 20, 2017 8:35 PM

Nov 20, 2017 8:45 PM

Mar 2016
BararaqSaiqa said:
Lol yeah.. I dropped it before the whole confrontation in like the 240's can't quite remember the exact episode but yeah it just wasn't quite worth it for me anymore. I started watching bleach after and once again another series to be dropped in the 200's. I even dropped One Piece and just recently started to pick it up again but once again I'll prbly end up dropping it, the pacing is much too dreadful! It sucks when you've invested so much time into something just to end up being disappointed in the direction it takes... I just think about all the other great anime I could've spent that time watching but I guess it's what you get with this shitty medium called anime.... fuck it, I quit anime.

You dropped the part where Hinata saved Naruto?? are you kidding, the best part of Naruto?

Well I quit anime long ago, I'm living in the blissful medium called Manga and Light Novels, damn there's a lot of them which can't be animated due to complexity of their plot, like Sevens which should become the inspiration of shounen demographic. Try Hokuto no Ken, that's a shounen anime.
Nov 20, 2017 8:54 PM
Jul 2016
My first anime was b gata h key, i still like it
Nov 20, 2017 9:02 PM

Oct 2014
Death Note. It pretty much convinced me that cartoons didn’t need to be comedy. So I watched a bunch of horror like Higurashi, Elfen Lied, and Shiki. They’re still some of my favorite shows because I suppose it was only 4 years ago that I first watched them.
Nov 20, 2017 9:10 PM

Feb 2012
youseiki said:
BararaqSaiqa said:

You dropped the part where Hinata saved Naruto?? are you kidding, the best part of Naruto?

Well I quit anime long ago, I'm living in the blissful medium called Manga and Light Novels, damn there's a lot of them which can't be animated due to complexity of their plot, like Sevens which should become the inspiration of shounen demographic. Try Hokuto no Ken, that's a shounen anime.
Haha, well to each their own.
Just recently I really started getting into manga and can say that there are a lot of really good ones which should be adapted ( I am a hero, oyasumi punpun etc) and a lot of good ones that have been adapted and just weren't enough to compete with or do as well as their source material (future diary, deadman wonderland, berserk etc) but then again there are some anime that execute much better than their counterpart (being manga,) and there are some anime that do great even without any source material, that said I still see anime as a blissful medium and I don't quite see it as being inferior to manga. Still got lots of love for both mediums, they're both great.
As for the fist of the north star, I had watched a few episodes of it a few years back and I just couldn't stand Kens sound effects lol I found it fucking obnoxious. I'll prbly give it another go and try to look past that aspect. And I'll look into that Sevens stuff too
Nov 20, 2017 9:33 PM

Mar 2016
BararaqSaiqa said:

Haha, well to each their own.
Just recently I really started getting into manga and can say that there are a lot of really good ones which should be adapted ( I am a hero, oyasumi punpun etc) and a lot of good ones that have been adapted and just weren't enough to compete with or do as well as their source material (future diary, deadman wonderland, berserk etc) but then again there are some anime that execute much better than their counterpart (being manga,) and there are some anime that do great even without any source material, that said I still see anime as a blissful medium and I don't quite see it as being inferior to manga. Still got lots of love for both mediums, they're both great.
As for the fist of the north star, I had watched a few episodes of it a few years back and I just couldn't stand Kens sound effects lol I found it fucking obnoxious. I'll prbly give it another go and try to look past that aspect. And I'll look into that Sevens stuff too

Then if you wanna try Sevens, read it on https://yoraikun.wordpress.com/7s-chapters/
it's already a completed translated web novel, the light novel was still in raw. You can check the light novel and web novel stuff at NovelUpdates, you check my profile if you want some recommendation list, it has a lot of Light/Web novel list you can try.

But if you don't wanna enter the web novel/ light novel world yet since you've started reading mangas, try Fist of the Blue Sky, a manga, same Author of Fist of the North Star, it has a good quality drawing even if it's old. Then Try some Ongoing Stories like Grand Blue which is a Diving manga and Made in Abyss for creative and realistic adventuring, or try to check some artist like INOUE Takehiko of Vagabond or some mangas that were from novels like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo" "Kotowaru!" which is about politics, economics and war or some slice of life drama like Iryuu - Team Medical Dragon

Well I tend to avoid anime due to being able to read the material before it becomes an anime with the exception of adapted from games. Though I love anime because of Voice and Music
Nov 20, 2017 10:27 PM

Aug 2016
Corpse Party. It's still quite good, but not one of my top favourites anymore.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Nov 20, 2017 11:27 PM

Jan 2012
My "first" anime was Ranma ½ and I still consider it being good.
Though I have watched a couple of episodes of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball on TV a very long time ago (when I was little), I wasn't knowledgeable about anime so it doesn't count.

Nov 20, 2017 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
My first anime shows are Inuyasha, Yugioh and Pokemon.

After so many years, I realized that there are still a lot of good anime to watch....like the 3 I mentioned above
Nov 20, 2017 11:43 PM
Jul 2017
I first watched Ponyo when I was like 9... or 11? I don't remember. I just know that I considered it a Disney movie made in Japan.

My first real anime was Attack on Titan. It's still special to me but of course, I have other anime that have replaced it since then.
Nov 20, 2017 11:48 PM

Feb 2015
Real first would be something like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball... Those I still find pretty entertaining, but with glaring flaws. Still pretty neat to watch because of the nostalgia factor.

First one when I started watching anime on a regular basis would be Darker than Black. I need to give it a rewatch, but it's pretty good iirc. Talking about season 1 ofc, 'cause season 2 was just bad.
rahillimitciNov 20, 2017 11:55 PM
Nov 20, 2017 11:58 PM

Nov 2017
My first was Call of the Wild: Howl Buck - a fairly unknown little movie that I had on VHS and binge-watched around five times. Unfortunately, I no longer have the tape, though it's still on youtube, 80s dub and all! I'm biased from childhood nostalgia of course, but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then. It's a faithful adaption to the classic novel.
Nov 21, 2017 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Other than Naruto and Dragon ball

Probably Blue Exorcist. I thought it was the best anime when i watched it...oh boy was i wrong. I've probably watched about 100+ anime but I am new to MAL so I wanna re watch all the anime that I've seen over the years to give it actual reviews. Blue Exorcist was still Amazing :)
Nov 21, 2017 4:51 AM

Jul 2016
Magic Knight Rayearth when i was a kid.
And it's still a pretty good anime with good characters and good battles.
Nov 21, 2017 5:03 AM

Jul 2015
Mirai Nikki, I watched it because I was (and I'm still) interested in yanderes, that anime delivered that, still a good memory.
Nov 21, 2017 5:49 AM

Nov 2011
The meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya was my first. Looking back on it, it confused me a bit but I’ve omly grown to appreciate it more over time. Honestly it’s a lot better than a lot of anime I’ve seen recently (new and old).

Nov 21, 2017 7:39 AM

Jun 2013
My first anime was Naruto as well. But the anime that got me into anime was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've watched it so many times but I still think it's great even after watching other series. I don't really consider Pokémon or DBZ my first anime even though they were.
RaidenNov 21, 2017 7:43 AM
Nov 21, 2017 8:55 AM

Jan 2017
Star Blazers (Uchuu Senkan Yamato) it still holds up pretty well today. I just would never watch the English version ever again.

The first pure anime I ever watched was Macross and it is hard to watch now. The animation is so rough.
Nov 21, 2017 9:57 AM

Nov 2017
First was Bleach and I still consider it to be the best shounen anime i've ever watched with Kuroko coming at a close second
Nov 21, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
The first anime I watched were Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Pokémon, InuYasha and Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura.

As for what I think of them now after watching many others is, well, I'll always enjoy them to some extent...but they just can't hold up to this modern day and age in terms of art style and what-have-you, so.
Nov 21, 2017 10:28 AM
Apr 2014
My first anime was Another. After watching nearly 200 other series I must say that it wasn't super extra magnificent anime, I wouldn't watch it again, my taste has changed and it is still changing. Any music anime recommendation? xD
Nov 21, 2017 10:54 AM

Jan 2011
Hmmm... my first anime would probably be pokemon or digimon. They were fine I guess
Nov 21, 2017 10:57 AM

Jul 2016
My first anime was naruto. When I first watched it, I liked it and it was my favorite anime. When I watched more anime i started hating it. Don't get me wrong it had some redeeming moments , like some badass characters, good fights but when comparing it to other anime such as death note oh no no no [naruto is trash] and I barely finished Naruto: Shippuuden [kill it plz]

Alucard2490Nov 21, 2017 11:39 AM
Nov 21, 2017 11:03 AM

Feb 2016
I exclude the kids anime I might or might have not watched eons ago (they are fine for what they are):
Evangelion is still GOAT, very few anime reach that waifu quality and deep emotional impact with such great atmosphere and plot execution.
Nov 21, 2017 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
I guess it depends, i have a faint memory of catching 'Hajime no Ippo' and 'Gash bell' on tv
but the first one i ever finished was Azumanga daioh back when youtube didn't have the copyright system
i watched stuff like Naruto, One piece and other stuff that i just found on youtube
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Nov 21, 2017 2:08 PM

Jun 2013
Define what you mean by "first". Do you mean the first I ever watched? Most likely Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon or Digimon. Or do you mean first anime that brought me into the world of anime? Then Bleach. If second, I still hold it in high regard. Story became so-so, sure, but animation was top notch. Not to say that I started by watching first 60-70 episodes (concluded with Soul Society Arc). Man, that was a blast. I still remember the excitement when I realized that anime was a thing. I would literally stay day and night awake to see it. Wouldn't sleep for 48 hours at a time. And I don't regret a darn thing.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 21, 2017 2:11 PM

Apr 2017
Digimon Adventures was my first anime, oh, childhood...
Nov 21, 2017 2:29 PM

Mar 2017
The first may be Bakugan, I don't really know because I watched it on TV when I was a child and I didn't know it was an anime. Actually, I didn't watch all the episodes of it that time, but I decided to rewatch Bakugan some years ago and I kinda liked it.
Nov 21, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2017
Gurren Lagann. I still think it was very good for its genre, even though it just isn't the kind of thing that interests me.
Nov 21, 2017 2:50 PM
Jun 2016
hmmmm the first one I watched was probably the americanized gachaman, but also around the same time I watched robotech. I've been trying to think about that, I think gachaman was older and only remember 1-2 episodes to where I didn't even know what it was till recently, just remember the bird motif and the featherish costumes.

First anime that I knew what it was, might have been record of lodos wars, or ranma 1/2.
Nov 21, 2017 3:02 PM

Jan 2017
Dragon Ball Kai on Saturday mornings, which was a god send for me since I was sick of watching Caillou on PBS since we only had air TV. I became so obsessed with it for awhile but then I watched SAO, Future Diary, and Kill LA Kill. Also note I watched those when I was 9, I was like,
Anime has..lots of.....variety?

But yeah after that I crossed over to the dark side. :)

I think the Dragon Ball series is a nice series for tweens.
Nov 21, 2017 3:46 PM

Oct 2016
Technically, my first anime were Pokémon (season 1), Sailor Moon and Digimon Adventures. I watched all three as they aired on TV when I was a child, before I even knew what anime was.

As of today, I still like Digimon Adventures and would love to rewatch it.
I'm not a big fan of the Pokémon anime anymore (With the Sinnoh region being the only exception), but I love playing the games.
Sailor Moon, however, is the only show out of the three that I've completely grown out of.
Nov 21, 2017 5:44 PM
Jun 2017
My first anime was also Naruto! I was six years old at the time and the tv was on and Naruto was playing and I was curious so I kept watching it and grew up with it basically. It's funny because the reason I couldn't get into other animes at the time was because I was so hooked on Naruto (the anime, but the character too LOL) but I stopped watching after a few years. This past summer 2017, I was bored and I thought it wouldn't hurt to start watching anime again but, this time, something that isn't Naruto and, surprisingly, I began to enjoy other animes. To this day, Naruto is always gonna be close to my heart but ever since this past summer, I realized there are other animes out there I could enjoy besides Naruto and that it's okay and it doesn't mean I'm betraying Naruto just because other animes had caught my interest. :)
Nov 21, 2017 6:03 PM

Aug 2016
Death Note, I still think it's as good as when I first watched it, I don't think my opinion of it has changed at all. But it's still not rated as high as when I first watched it, but that's less of my opinion of it going down and more of me finding anime I like a lot more than Death Note and my ratings changing.

If you count childhood stuff Pokémon, same thing as with DN. Still love the show (Though I think I like it more now than when I was a kid..)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 3 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 9 hours ago

101 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 41 minutes ago

4 by alexw1020 »»
17 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 20 minutes ago

0 by TsutanaiFuun »»
20 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

17 by Jackson1333 »»
23 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

37 by Jackson1333 »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.