Forum Settings
Forums

Are you satisfied with how your country is represented in anime?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 14, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 2016
[quote=Aslt]I don't recall any references to my garbage country :^([/quote
Hey now, its wrong to call your country garbage.show a little patriotism!
Primerose003
Nov 14, 2017 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
Dunno care because Chile is never represented anyway.

(And is better this way)
Nov 14, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2017
Peenoise!!!!!

Bunch of Autistic semiTARDS which represents how cancerous our country is

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Nov 14, 2017 7:29 PM

Mar 2014
I was completely okay with J.J. Style.
Nov 14, 2017 7:33 PM

Mar 2016
I dont remeber my country ever being mentioned in a Anime,

But the in the manga of Assasination Classroom Koro-sensei goes to Brazil (my country) and says "7 to 1" and a bunch of civilians got PISSED and started to attack him.

Well, it was just after world cup, even manga shamed us.

Nov 14, 2017 8:13 PM

Jul 2017
Hong Kong was represented in quite a number of anime, e.g. Card capture Sakura, Full Metal Panic, Shakugan no Shana
I am very satisfied, the depictions of Hong Kong are mostly positive.
Nov 14, 2017 8:25 PM

Jun 2015
lol I'm pretty sure the only time I've even heard the name of my country in Japanese is from my sensei back when I was taking beginner lessons
Nov 14, 2017 8:57 PM

Dec 2013
My country isn't represented in anime at all, and I'm glad about that because living here is humiliating enough.
Nov 14, 2017 9:04 PM

Aug 2011
Not sure, seen some very minor references to Australia but I can't think of any off the top of my head, if you could point me to some then I'll let you know my thoughts.
^_^
Nov 14, 2017 9:27 PM

Aug 2016
well, I like how this anime ad represents my Country https://www.wimp.com/canadian-tourism-anime-ad/

but I haven't seen a lot of things about Canada other than that
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Nov 14, 2017 9:31 PM

Aug 2016
EmberJuliet said:
America has been mentioned a couple of times throughout the amines I've watched, but they've emerged really said shutting about it. So frankly, I don't really have an opinion.

Well Death Note kinda made fun of America, but only for like one scene. I found it kinda funny though.
Nov 14, 2017 9:34 PM

Aug 2016
ChRonicCorneria said:
No-one ever mentions Canada...
:\
What do Japanese people even think about Canadians?

Actually they do. https://www.wimp.com/canadian-tourism-anime-ad/
Nov 14, 2017 9:51 PM

Jun 2011
Ericonator said:
If Norway has been represented in anime, I've either never seen it or forgotten about it.

Hetalia. The stereotype is that you drink with your fellow nordic brethren and give each other shit. Norway usually looks on critical of others he is close to but quiet and mysterious around everyone else. Loves to indulge in his own culture. His best friend is Denmark (kinda love hate). Second best buds with Iceland. Likes England's lore. He also drinks with buds like Sweden and Finland.

But. just gonna say- anime wise- only in ONE episode.

^^That is Denmark being overly excited.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Nov 14, 2017 9:56 PM

Jun 2011
Vosgy said:
Not sure, seen some very minor references to Australia but I can't think of any off the top of my head, if you could point me to some then I'll let you know my thoughts.

There are entire anime set in Australia. But when I think "Aussie anime character" I sadly thing of this guy

Jim Crocodile Cook. Yugioh GX.
Energetic-NovaNov 14, 2017 10:04 PM
Nov 14, 2017 9:59 PM

Jun 2011
Shining1994 said:

(And is better this way)

http://saintseiya.wikia.com/wiki/Scylla_Io

Well, there is one character I know if that is Chilean.
Nov 14, 2017 10:14 PM

Nov 2016
madarchod said:
Although there are not many anime which mention india or had indian characters but those who has.They have mostly shown india or indians in a stereotypical way associated with curry,hinduism,poverty,caste system,Rajas,yoga etc and so far i am satisfied with whatever role indian appears.
Anime which mention or had Indian characters are

PRINCE SOMA ASMAN KADAR and MINA(Kuroshitsuji)

INDIA (Hetalia)

AKIRA AGARKAR YAMADA (Tsuritama)

MINA KANDASWAMY (Darker than Black)

KRISHNA RAMESH (Baby Steps)

Amanti Patel(Space Brothers)

Dr. Rakshata Chawla (Code Geass)

Apart from them India has been mentioned quite a few times in Shokugeki no soma.

I still wish that animes show india more frequently and in a less stereotypical way

I assume you didn't watch jojo because if you did you'll be surprised how they portrayed India in it and you'll probably laugh your ass off.

Btw Nice Name
Nov 14, 2017 10:26 PM

Jun 2011

I am actually kinda happy this is the anime representing west coast USA right now. I mean, you would think Stan Lee would show up in some New York based animus. But nope. Shows up in one set in Cali.

Yeah... pretty much looks like us.
Nov 15, 2017 2:18 AM
Restless One

Apr 2016
So there is this arc later on in the Soul Eater anime, where the protagonists travel to Czech republic and meet a villain who uses golems in battle. The golem thing might be a reference itsef as there is a well known czech fairytale about a king who seeks an unbeatable clay golem.

The fun part came when in one episode the good guys went into a library for some research, and the supposedly czech books had totally random words or sentences on their cover. It was like the creators just googled some random czech words and threw them in there xD
Well, they get points for effort I guess.
I witnessed a loli spill from a cartridge and somehow retained my sanity.
Nov 15, 2017 2:20 AM

Sep 2016
From all the anime I've watched and heard UAE never once got featured so yeah XD
Nov 15, 2017 2:49 AM

Sep 2014
My country (Ukraine) was represented through Hetalia, and though I don't really _adore_ that image, it's cute enough and, well, could've been worse, I guess.
Nov 15, 2017 3:14 AM
Jul 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Shining1994 said:

(And is better this way)

http://saintseiya.wikia.com/wiki/Scylla_Io

Well, there is one character I know if that is Chilean.

I forgot him. Since I didnt watched SS for so long...

Also the apparent Mewtwo Island Origin. But that's open to interpretation.
Nov 15, 2017 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
It's never as bad as US representation of other countries, so its fine. Most stereotypes in Japan are positive stereotypes (while we only find negative in US)
removed-userNov 15, 2017 4:09 AM
Nov 15, 2017 7:32 AM

Jun 2016
I saw my countray ,UAE, in jojo stardust... , they went to Abu dhabi. It was the same city but in the 1990s
Nov 15, 2017 9:05 AM

Jul 2014
Ericonator said:
AndreaIsASeal said:

Nakiri Alice went to Norway to learn to cook better in Food Wars. Also in Saga of Tanya the evil there were Norwegians fighting with the allied.
Yep, forgot about it :p
I recall that happening after you mentioned it though.

Also the producers went to Norway to study the landscape for Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior.

You could call Shaymin a faux-Norwegian Pokémon :P

Energetic-Nova said:
Ericonator said:
If Norway has been represented in anime, I've either never seen it or forgotten about it.

Hetalia. The stereotype is that you drink with your fellow nordic brethren and give each other shit. Norway usually looks on critical of others he is close to but quiet and mysterious around everyone else. Loves to indulge in his own culture. His best friend is Denmark (kinda love hate). Second best buds with Iceland. Likes England's lore. He also drinks with buds like Sweden and Finland.

Please don't mention Hetalia, I pixel-hunted that scam for any mention of Norway, and despite Norway basically preventing Hitler from having an H-bomb before US finished the Manhattan project and running the merchant fleet that kept the fronts going for the allies, it was a footnote character at best. SCAM.
Red_TuesdayNov 15, 2017 9:19 AM
Nov 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Aug 2015
Not enough Kangaroos, dropbears, snakes, spiders and crocodiles were used when ever Australia was mentioned.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Nov 15, 2017 12:47 PM

Jun 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
Ericonator said:
Yep, forgot about it :p
I recall that happening after you mentioned it though.

Also the producers went to Norway to study the landscape for Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior.

You could call Shaymin a faux-Norwegian Pokémon :P

Energetic-Nova said:

Please don't mention Hetalia, I pixel-hunted that scam for any mention of Norway, and despite Norway basically preventing Hitler from having an H-bomb before US finished the Manhattan project and running the merchant fleet that kept the fronts going for the allies, it was a footnote character at best. SCAM.

He is in ONE episode. lol. 79. Have fun.
Nov 15, 2017 12:47 PM

Oct 2017
i ve never seen an anime reference to greece
i try to work for God+
Nov 15, 2017 12:48 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I have no qualms as to how Japan views America. Even if they made fun of it, I'd most likely agree.
Nov 15, 2017 12:50 PM

Mar 2013
who cares just as long as I can see movies in the cinemas and stuff
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Nov 15, 2017 12:51 PM

Dec 2015
Somuchgamer said:
I dont remeber my country ever being mentioned in a Anime,

But the in the manga of Assasination Classroom Koro-sensei goes to Brazil (my country) and says "7 to 1" and a bunch of civilians got PISSED and started to attack him.

Well, it was just after world cup, even manga shamed us.

Michiko & Hatchin is set in Brazil, and it also happens to be an awesome anime.
Nov 15, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2014
The US is usually represented by its military/operations in a lot of anime. So yes, I'd say that's fairly accurate.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 15, 2017 12:58 PM

May 2016
Lalakoboldslayer said:
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

And me ? I'm whiter than most europeans.
The last research stated that over 50-55% of people are black in Brazil.

Japoneses não sabem como representar outros países.
Nov 15, 2017 1:40 PM

Dec 2015
I feel the USA is represented OK. I never expected to ever see anime characters chant "USA! USA! USA!", but that's what happened in the last episode in Taboo Tattoo. I smiled a little.

I feel like the USA is mostly represented by military forces.
Nov 15, 2017 1:50 PM

Oct 2017
The german in Japanese anime is hilariously bad..like someone just slapped a few words together so it sounds cool.
Nov 15, 2017 1:56 PM

Oct 2016
I don't think my country is ever represented in anime. I mean who cares about the Netherlands? Even I don't care about the Netherlands. Unless some non-Dutch person thinks it's okay to bash the Netherlands, then i all of sudden only have love for my country.
Nov 15, 2017 2:10 PM

Jun 2010
swordmasterman said:
Lalakoboldslayer said:
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

And me ? I'm whiter than most europeans.
The last research stated that over 50-55% of people are black in Brazil.

Japoneses não sabem como representar outros países.

50-50% ?

Where ? Certainly not in my neighborhood.
Nov 15, 2017 2:23 PM
Sep 2015
@KannoSugako WOW, you remind me that. I was about to right that I never saw Venezuela in anime. But that's a really good reflex of our reality.
Nov 15, 2017 4:08 PM
Nov 2017
Definitely not. My country does no know much about anime and i hardly find people i can have discussions with. Most teens just watch Dragon ball super or My Hero Academia or some extremely main stream anime, which can get annoying at times. There is only one anime merch store i know of and it is not even that good and barely has one or two paintings from Naruto or Shingeki no Kyoujin and some t shirts. To be honest it is not something that bothers me that much because it is something i can have to myself and be my little thing, ya' know? I know it might be a bit selfish but it's how i feel.
Nov 15, 2017 6:10 PM

Apr 2015
Only happened once in the anime Nobunagun and it was pretty accurate, it was in a region called Upala that is very rural and empoverished, the show represented it accurately.
Although I got a feeling that if any show were to show Costa Rican people they would make them all brown, which the majority of Costa Ricans arent.
PilsenEnjoyerNov 15, 2017 6:14 PM
Nov 15, 2017 6:24 PM

Jan 2017
Thailand...

Only character I could think of is
https://myanimelist.net/character/44326/Charunee_Kusakabe

though she's half japanese and half thai.

So ....yes, I'm glad that Japan knows my country actually exist on this planet.
Nov 15, 2017 6:39 PM

Feb 2013
My country has never been represented in anime in the first place.
Nov 15, 2017 6:58 PM

Sep 2016
I'm from Colombia, and sadly I can't find an anime with one reference ofmy country, but considering the "latin references" the mayority probably think that we are a Mexico 2.0.
Nov 15, 2017 7:34 PM

Jul 2014
TheHopefulOtaku said:
America needs much better representation.
Why do all anime characters from America have blonde hair and blue eyes and are Caucasian?

Because many anime character design archetypes are severely limited in recognizability, so you have a "hair colour budget" for all but the most unique anime in terms of designs where if you have more than 1 character with the same hair colour (except with black hair they always try extra hard with the face) in each age bracket (5-8, 9-14, 15-19, 20-30, 30+) and each gender, you're playing with fire.

Ask yourself, if you have to diversify your hair colours, and the script calls for a foreign character, which one do you make blonde? The foreign character, 9/10 times. Doesn't matter is they're from Germany, UK, Scandinavia - hell even Italy as Blend S has shown, despite the overwhelmingly most common hair colours in Italy being dark.
Nov 15, 2017 7:42 PM
Sep 2017
-KaneKo- said:
I Don't Remember any Reference to Mexico in Anime. If Someone has seen any link me to them I Want to see tham.

Yeah, I was trying to remember if I ever saw any reference to Mexico in anime, and I couldn't. But in video games it's a different story, mainly in fighting games. Usually it will depict a wrestler, or rather, a "luchador", a practitioner of Lucha Libre, and Japan and Mexico have a long history of exchanging luchadores, so that probably explains it. And no, it doesn't offend me in the slightest
Nov 15, 2017 8:46 PM

Apr 2014
@isekai
Have you watch any anime that refer or showed our country?
Euphoria said:
I'm satisfied and amazed that Philippines has Charlotte but that's about it.
Have you watched or read Black Lagoon? PH was been there on it's first episode and (manga) chapter.
Haters always gonna hate.
Nov 15, 2017 8:59 PM

Jan 2009
Rayzer said:
@isekai
Have you watch any anime that refer or showed our country?

i cannot remember a lot but Fate/Zero mentioned the Philippines one time if i remember right
Nov 15, 2017 9:03 PM

Jun 2013
My country was never represented in anime i think!? Maybe it appeared on scenes where someone checks the world map, apart from that i don't have any knowledge if it was acutally represented.
BenXBlack93Nov 15, 2017 9:07 PM
Nov 15, 2017 11:23 PM

Aug 2017
Besides the common Machu Picchu and Nazca reference, I actually know about this old anime that feature a version of our beloved volleyball team back in the day. I can say that it doesn´t bother me at least

Nov 16, 2017 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
I couldn't give less of a damn. The constant self-obsession of having to be "represented" somehow is stupid, unless it actually involves me. Name dropping my country or having a character from my country/ethnicity/whatever identity doesn't make me inherently happy or sad.

Applies to real life too. I don't know what's the deal with "is my race represented?" in an award ceremony or movie role casting. I'm not sure how some Asian dude getting anything is my concern, he ain't me. In fact these actors who supposedly represent me probably have more in common with other actors than me.

EcchiKingMamster said:
do people actually pay attention to this kind of stuff?
People who pay too much attention to the group they identify with. Basically people with no sense of individuality.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 16, 2017 1:01 AM

Mar 2014
I don't recall ever seeing references to Sweden in Japanimation except for a cup with the Swedish flag in AnoHana (which is a terrible show). Most Japanese probably think we're all blonde and have blue eyes though, if they even know about us at all.

I know I've seen multiple representations of France in anime but aside from the French reporter (who actually was voiced by a native speaker, surprise!) in Yuri!! On Ice I can't think of any specific examples
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 3 hours ago

8 by logopolis »»
45 seconds ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

26 by joseifan »»
54 seconds ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 52 minutes ago

9 by Goblingaming »»
3 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

72 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» Opinion on yaoi ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

draculalover666 - Jan 20, 2022

313 by BilboBaggins365 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.