Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2017 12:28 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Both Chihaya and Tamaru made it with just one card left! This is gonna be a face-off between current student and alumni of Mizusawa! Loved it how Tamaru got some good words from Sakurazawa-sensei! Loved it how her brother noticed how she is different from before! Loved it how her classmates from Mizusawa said they are gonna root for her for real! Character development of supporting characters is what this manga relishes at! But now she has Chihaya on her way! Also, would have loved more panels dedicated to Rion after her defeat. I absolutely love her!

Meanwhile, just when Taichi was about to give up thinking he's done enough just to win against Sudou-san, he is confronted by Harada-sensei. Harada-sensei gave Taichi no option but to reveal what he really wanted. When he said if Taichi needed to take revenge on someone, it needed to be against Harada-sensei, because of what he said to him such a long time back Taichi finally reveals it! What he has been hiding deep in his heart for all this time! He just wants to go to where Arata and Chihaya are!

For the first time Taichi mentions what he really wanted! This is an amazing development! I have always thought Taichi of the past took Karuta because of him wanting to be with Chihaya, the love of his life. But Chihaya's rejection, leaving Mizusawa Karuta-club, meeting with Meijin Suou, seeing Arata marching on, have finally transformed him to someone who really aspires for Karuta. Mentioning Arata for the first time in his desire show that it's not about Chihaya anymore. This is the character development I had been waiting for from Taichi!

I really want him to win against Harada-sensei (sorry Sensei, despite of I love you!) to set up a face-off with Arata. But I am worried that it might not happen. His match against Harada-sensei aside, Arata is also suffering from his injury. T_T

More on Chuugakusei-hen here. :)

Btw, they are totally promoting another face off in certain Towa and Aya. ;)

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 5, 2017 10:38 AM

Jan 2016
English translations haven't come out in what seems line ages, I'll just read your summary.

At this point I just want Taichi to be happy tbh.
Nov 5, 2017 6:44 PM
Mar 2015
TDX who is CG on MAL is the translator for Chihayafuru She has said that she has 189-190 scanlations ready to go as soon she receives the scans of 187-188 which are in volume 36 which is coming out November 13,2017
Nov 5, 2017 10:27 PM

Nov 2007
landofthekwt said:
The scans of 187-188 which are in volume 36 which is coming out November 13,2017

So, I guess there isn't any raw available for any of those two chapters. I wish I knew how to read either Chinese. I try to read Chinese but then I am usually quite off the actual meaning. I am so obsessed with Chihayafuru that I want to learn how to read Chinese, but I think it will be just too much for me.

FireFistYK said:
At this point I just want Taichi to be happy tbh.

Same here. I really want Taichi to be happy with Karuta just like both Arata and Chihaya are.
Coronavirus.
Nov 6, 2017 12:13 AM

Jan 2016
landofthekwt said:
TDX who is CG on MAL is the translator for Chihayafuru She has said that she has 189-190 scanlations ready to go as soon she receives the scans of 187-188 which are in volume 36 which is coming out November 13,2017

Alright so, 23 could get 4 chapters in the span of a month! Can't wait
Nov 6, 2017 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
that moment when tamaru realized who her next opponent is going to be
Dec 3, 2017 4:54 AM

Jan 2016
😣😣😣 I beg the scanlation team please! It's agonising!
Dec 3, 2017 1:39 PM

Sep 2010
Finally! a 4-chapter night-read for me, from 187 to 190. It was amazing. The art was fantastic like always, but the outcomes turning out positive was a relief for me. Now the next matches!
Dec 4, 2017 8:16 AM

Jan 2016
I am really happy with the development in taichi's character. Im sure harada Sensei isn't going to play easy on him. Afterall taichi is a member of their society and his student. He knows it will help taichi.

Also, I'm not sure but did the chiha card almost disappeared when he took it. Just like the meijin's?
Dec 4, 2017 12:29 PM

Nov 2007
Off Topic: That face of Harada-sensei in chapter three of Chuugakusei-hen and this chapter. :)
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2017 4:39 PM
Jan 2016
Olive scented rivals and Misuzawa girl members are going to battle it out.
Taichi by far had the best character development. I still dont think taichi loves karuta. He only strives to go to the place where arata and chihaya are.
Still I hope taichi wins against harada sensei.
Dec 6, 2017 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
This must have been one of my favourite chapters. Taichi broke out of his shell and expressed how he truly feels with a gentle push from his sensei. I am glad this manga is progressing and we finally might see the finals with Chihaya, Arata and Taichi, which has been their childhood dream. It would be great if Chihaya got more depth though. It feels like she has been in the background, stuck in her ten-year-old mindset.
Dec 7, 2017 4:29 AM

Jan 2016
smegmarta said:
This must have been one of my favourite chapters. Taichi broke out of his shell and expressed how he truly feels with a gentle push from his sensei. I am glad this manga is progressing and we finally might see the finals with Chihaya, Arata and Taichi, which has been their childhood dream. It would be great if Chihaya got more depth though. It feels like she has been in the background, stuck in her ten-year-old mindset.
I want the same thing for chihaya. It's like she's always been the chihaya during their elementary years.
Dec 11, 2017 1:29 PM
Dec 2017
How is the relationship between Chihaya and Arata?
Which of the two are more likely to be with her?
Dec 12, 2017 10:01 AM
Mar 2015
At the end of nationals Chihaya asked Arata to wait till after the Queens match for an answer to his confession.
Dec 12, 2017 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
john10 said:

Chihaya is currently in love with Arata, there is no denying that. But I think she will end up with Taichi by the end of the manga. First of all, the fact that he was rejected by Chihaya after he confessed to him, and secondly Chihaya put Arata's confession on hold. These two incidents put Taichi in favour from my experience with reading hundreds of shoujo/josei manga in the past. It's not granted, but the chances for Taichi are much higher. The remarkable unbalance between chapters dedicated to Taichi and chapters dedicated to Arata puts Taichi in much greater advantage from the story's point of view.

I think the amount of focus that has been put on Taichi throughout the manga actually have opened both paths for him. So, I think Taichi becoming the Meijin instead of Arata is pretty high as well. After all Taichi's progression rate is similar to Mejin Suou.

Even though Arata has only recently been catching up with Taichi in the popularity poll, the poll is still in favour of Taichi at 100/88 (i.e. for every 100 Taichi fan, there are 88 Arata fans, although they are less vocal on forums, image-boards, twitters etc.). Although, I think it's pretty remarkable given the fact that Arata's character development comes few and far between in the story.

Also, if you read Suetsugu Yuki-sensei's Eden no Hana, you can more or less guess who would end up with Chihaya.
Coronavirus.
Dec 14, 2017 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
john10 said:

Chihaya is currently in love with Arata, there is no denying that.

if you hadn't created so many of the chapter discussion threads I'd think you haven't read the manga
I'm also gonna copy-paste this:
Also for all the people expecting romantic development, let me just throw in that Chihayafuru is not a romance manga, so relationships will probably never be a major plot point
Dec 14, 2017 9:57 AM

Oct 2012
Shanimebib@ what recent poll are you talking about? I haven't seen a poll for Chihayafuru for at least 4 years...........i mean the last official Be Love poll was after Taichi's confession. It was that poll about the favorite chaps. It's true that alot of Taichi centered chaps where in the top 10........but this has been a while ago.

Anyway i still really think we can't be sure who Chihaya will end up with, if she ends up with anyone at all.....Chihaya seems to have very strong ties with both of the boys. It's obvious that she loves them both deeply. But who does her heart ache for? Mmmmmm.....pages have been discussed on this topic!

It's not true that this story isn't about love and relationships. Karuta is a sport but the poems are about love, life.....very romantic, deep, feelings that were written down 100's of years ago. Suetsugu san uses the cards in the story to point out the feelings that are going on in panels, so don't underestimate the role that Love and passion is playing in this story. It's like a second level story that's going on next to the sport progress. This is also a coming of age story, to see how Chihaya will become not only a karuta baka, but a grown up young woman and the boys becoming young men......

I'm just not sure if Suetsugu san will leave us with an open ending to not 'choose' one of the guys in the end when it comes to romance. It sort of would be an easy way out of this prickly love triangle. Chihaya just seems to be so childish at the moment, i just can't imagine her with anyone romanticly; ;p
chiakimagotoDec 14, 2017 10:08 AM
Dec 14, 2017 2:53 PM

Nov 2007
TokiWoKezuru said:
shanimebib said:

Chihaya is currently in love with Arata, there is no denying that.

if you hadn't created so many of the chapter discussion threads I'd think you haven't read the manga
I'm also gonna copy-paste this:
Also for all the people expecting romantic development, let me just throw in that Chihayafuru is not a romance manga, so relationships will probably never be a major plot point

What are you saying?! You cannot relate the poems with the characters' emotional state? They are not just explained for nothing. One of the main drives of the story until very recently has been Taichi's love for Chihaya and I am 100% sure Taichi still loves Chihaya despite of being rejected. Also, Arata's confession and Chihaya's reaction were enough for Kana-chan to realize that Chihaya is in love with Arata, although Chihaya is yet to realize it herself, because she is an idiot. Kana-chan wouldn't go out of her way to make Chihaya realize her feelings because she is rooting for Taichi. Anyone at her position would. Arata's desire to come to Tokyo also stems from his affection for Chihaya, which is why he confirmed with Taichi if he was dating Chihaya. You simply cannot ignore all of these things, these significant drives for the main to male leads.

It doesn't need to be THE MAJOR PLOT POINT but it is extremely important ingredient of the story. Also, I read Chihayafuru in Japanese (all the untranslated chapter in between and more recent ones after catching up with TDX) and hence I create the threads. I may not be 100% accurate but I always re-read to compare my understanding once the English scanlations are out and I am usually more than 90% accurate when I compare them, assuming TDX's translations are 100% accurate i.e., but I know there can never be a 100% accurate translation even by professional translators, which is evident with CR's scripts as I have pointed out myself in many occasions in anime discussion threads. From what I read, I definitely found a lot of romance in the story as @chiakimagoto has pointed out. I am 10/15% accurate when I read them in Chinese, which I don't mind admitting, you can say that part of me comes from my obsession with the manga.

@chiakimagoto, I am referring to the poll that was posted in one of the Chihayafuru clubs here in MAL. I cannot find it now so maybe you'd know. Although I am not part of the club I was looking up results for comparison. In that poll, Arata had 88% of Taichi's total votes. I actually stumbled across the result in an imageboard (I am sure the image was posted in MAL) when I was trying to compare Hak's popularity in Akatsuki no Yona.

And I get it that it might be left open ended but I feel like there will definitely be a closure in that aspect. It may sound strange, I am rooting for Chihaya to realize that she is really in love with Arata, nevertheless, my world won't be upside down if she ends up with Taichi because Taichi is really precious to me as well.
Coronavirus.
Dec 28, 2017 10:19 AM

May 2009
I'm glad Harada-sensei put a stop to that "ok, I've proven Suou's tactics work, I'll forfeit now" nonsense of Taichi's! Finally he's done with pretending to not care and invested in winning for real... I can't wait to see who wins, though we probably won't find out for another 7-8 more chapters T_T
Dec 29, 2017 8:09 AM
Mar 2017
This is a good chapter. Go go go Chihaya! XD

And as for who is more likely to end up with Chihaya, well if we'll base it on Chihaya's feelings, it's probably Arata since it's been hinted time and time again that she's in love with Arata -- she still doesn't realize that yet. Then if we'll base it as to how many chapters/screen time is dedicated to each love interest, then it'll be Taichi since he has a lot more scenes centered around him. I think the lack of Arata's screen time stems from the fact that he's not in Tokyo together with the main cast so at most, he can only appear during karuta tournaments. But that'll change once they go to college since Arata will also be in town.

At this point, it's still hard to determine who will win Chihaya in the end.

As for me, I want Chihaya to end up with Arata. XD
Jan 27, 2021 3:26 PM

Jan 2019
Glad that Taichi's edgy shell finally broke and his true feelings rise. Taichi's character development is by far the best on Chihayafuru and I hope he wins agains Sensei, even though I would love to see Sensei as the next Meijin.
May 14, 2021 12:22 PM

Jul 2020
Taichi finally came out of the closet, his development makes me happy

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.