Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2010 7:44 PM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was actually pretty awesome!! I haven't seen any 80's stuff for a while, and it was refreshing to see a good movie from so long ago. Now I'll definitely be watching the series. After watching a couple episodes of the new OVAs and Series, I decided to watch the beginning before I watched those. And, I'm glad I did. Now I'm excited for the series, and the new stuff as well! See ya on the series discussion...Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
Mar 3, 2012 5:41 PM

Mar 2012
absolutely great - loved the art - felt like I was looking at a late 70s/early 80s Eagle or 2000AD colour centre spread come alive.
Aug 29, 2013 6:50 PM

Jan 2011
Cobra's VA sounded out of place. No wonder they used Nozawa with the TV series.
Mar 16, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't think that I would like this, but it was actually good and I liked the art as well. The ending wasn't really surprising since I didn't think the last sister would fall in love with Cobra like the other 2 did.

Dec 22, 2015 11:37 PM
Jul 2014
The art is quite likable-with big help from sexy female characters! Animation and sound effects are on the same level as any other 80's space Anime. I found characters to be inconsistent, especially main protagonist Cobra who is more like a class goofy than a hero (yet alone super). The three sisters are throughout the film stoned, kheh, khm, I mean in love - I must say thank goodness to be in love in our true world looks nothing like that! In general - all characters are under-developed, dull and emotion-less (any kind of emotions are shown just at the end - and even then mostly by hologram). And finally, as for the story goes - I also can't find much positive words: one-dimensional, linear and simply plain! 6/10, no more unfortunately!
May 12, 2016 1:43 PM

Nov 2013
That's so 80's and I love it. Nice visuals and soundtrack.
@jakov
It's a 80's space action flick. What did you expect?
The characters are one-dimensional, yes, but I wouldn't call them under-developed. And the movie is linear and simple, but that's not a bad thing in this case.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
May 12, 2016 2:40 PM
Jun 2015
I watched this on blu ray and visually it was quite a treat. I think the biggest problem was the flow of the story being a bit jarring. I dont know if I should attribute this to the writing or directing but it was the biggest flaw to me.
More than anything I thought the movie had a lot of imaginative ideas and settings.
Jun 10, 2016 8:34 AM

Dec 2015
@MeteorBear The movie takes the first "big" story of the manga and compresses it. If you want to see how it could flow more smoothly, try either the first tome (deluxe edition has the full sisters part) or watch Space Adventure Cobra who adapts it on a lengthier format than the movie could afford.
Jan 13, 2017 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
This was really great!
I loved the story and the action, now off the the TV series.
Mar 21, 2017 11:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I enjoyed this immensely. Anime back in the 80's had so much style and ambition. The story could be a bit more put together, but i guess that was due to adaptation issues.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 7, 2018 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
Good solid movie. Visually it was very interesting to watch and the art direction was very unique which even most 90s space shows lack [I guess thats have to do with director]. I thought the plot was also good and original too but could been more effective in TV or OVA format by exploring more about the other characters and having more depth on the plot that way it couldn't feel linear [but still executed well compare most other show I've seen with similar problem]. Speaking of Cobra, I like his 'bond-esque' characterization but oddly his (JP) voice doesn't feel right here. And lastly, have to say the theme song was quite beautiful!
removed-userSep 7, 2018 4:07 PM
Nov 18, 2020 10:45 AM

Oct 2013
So... to summarize:

Cobra, labeled the most dangerous man in the galaxy because he likes to fuck with the Intergalactic Mafia, is pressured into a one-week marriage with three instances of the same hive mind as they attempt to save their planet -- which is basically the central brain of the hive mind -- except one instance of the hive mind is in active revolt against the other two. Meanwhile, the Intergalactic Mafia is headed by a crystal boy made of crystal literally named Crystal Boy who is the Big Bad Guy that wants to conquer the universe, but he has to start by using the hive mind to destroy the only galaxy the Intergalactic Mafia actually has any presence. In the end, everyone dies except Cobra, who, presumably, will spend the rest of his life telling bar stories about that one time he was married to a planet.

Yeah, weird fucking movie, but it was cool as shit. Like Star Wars on psychedelics, and better than Star Wars, too.
ZadionNov 18, 2020 2:29 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 9, 2021 7:11 AM

Nov 2015
began interesting but it quickly went to shit x.x
i lost it when she said handsome to such brute lol
and that enemy lmao... crystal boy more like jelly guy xD

💢

Jan 6, 2022 1:43 PM

Jun 2020
Zadion said:
Meanwhile, the Intergalactic Mafia is headed by a crystal boy made of crystal literally named Crystal Boy who is the Big Bad Guy that wants to conquer the universe, but he has to start by using the hive mind to destroy the only galaxy the Intergalactic Mafia actually has any presence. In the end, everyone dies except Cobra, who, presumably, will spend the rest of his life telling bar stories about that one time he was married to a planet.

Yeah, weird fucking movie, but it was cool as shit. Like Star Wars on psychedelics, and better than Star Wars, too.

See,I watched the 1995 Manga dub, which made the Big Bad guy Lord Necron (way cooler than Crystal Boy) , with the ability to reanimate the dead and bind them to his will. In his own words "Only the living can oppose me, in a dead galaxy I will rule supreme". Makes sense, as the head of the galactic Mafia he has to go through all sorts of hoops to feign legitimacy: front businesses, bribery, debt enforcement and even then there's the prickly issue of your underlings having free will and a sense of self-preservation. Much easier to exterminate all life and get your brainwashed corpses to run the entire galaxy purely for your profit.

I imagine he didn't inform his living colleagues about these plans lol.

They made it so that Cobra had a really great voice actor too, nailed the character to the extent that it never once felt like he wasn't the original VA. Surprised to see that wasn't the case in the Japanese version. I liked Andromeda's actress as well, the two had great chemistry. Not to mention the grimy 80s synth OST by Yello which lends a completely different, far more modern vibe to the movie. More blade runner than buck Rogers. I prefer it personally. It's definitely worth a watch.
BritishBlitz87Jan 6, 2022 2:45 PM
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Jan 6, 2022 1:49 PM

Jun 2020
r4ytrace said:
absolutely great - loved the art - felt like I was looking at a late 70s/early 80s Eagle or 2000AD colour centre spread come alive.

See, that's what I like most about old anime. The dialogue may be obvious, the characters may be one dimensional, but they certainly make the most of the medium of animation. If this movie was live action it would be absolute garbage.
BritishBlitz87Jan 26, 2022 1:18 PM
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Jul 28, 2022 7:52 AM

Mar 2010
I really like how derpy the movements were lol. Cobra getting forced in to marriage with three girls when he wants a fling lmao
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.