Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 9, 2017 9:02 AM

Sep 2017
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST.

There's a lot of shows coming out with dubs in the near future and I was wondering if I should wait for the dubs or just start watching the subs. The shows in question are:

Kekkai Sensen and Beyond
Dies Irae
Imouto sae Ireba ii
Animegataris
Mahoutsukai no Yome
Black Clover
Juuni Taisen

All of these are going to be dubbed by Funimation. If the sub is already completely fantastic, then let me know that I should watch that. If not, then I would like to watch the dub instead.

Note: I watched Kekkai Sensen dubbed and the Mahoutsukai no Yome OVAs subbed.

Note #2: I enjoy dubs. So please don't tell me to only watch subs because subs are superior

Note #3: Things I don't want to hear people say so PLEASE STOP
"Only watch subs"
"Watch dubs if you want to"

This is not a matter of waiting it is a matter of quality, people!! If the sub isn't spectacular, then I want to watch the dub. These are the things I want to hear. If you don't have anything constructive and helpful to say, please don't say it.
AustinDoujinOct 10, 2017 4:22 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 9, 2017 9:03 AM

Apr 2015
Wait for the dub on Black Clover to see if the English VA for the lead is less insufferable.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 9, 2017 9:04 AM
Aug 2016
This shouldn't even be a question since it's common knowledge that Subs > Dubs.
(Besides Black Clover :^))
Oct 9, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2013
you can gauge how completely fantastic the sub is by looking at the mal score ,,
Oct 9, 2017 9:12 AM
Apr 2017
I don't see any reason to ever wait for dubs. Except in the rare cases of shows like Hetalia where the dub adds an interesting element, you should be searching out the subs, not the dubs.
Oct 9, 2017 9:13 AM

Sep 2017
Aslt said:
This shouldn't even be a question since it's common knowledge that Subs > Dubs.
(Besides Black Clover :^))

I enjoy both. Possibly dubs are a bit better for me if they are good
Oct 9, 2017 9:17 AM

Sep 2017
I was just going to wait for Kekkai Sensen dubbed since that was what I watched the first season in. But then I saw all the titles lined up for simuldub and thought I shouldn't just limit myself to the subs. But I can't decided which ones to watch dubbed
Oct 9, 2017 9:24 AM

Jul 2015
You shouldd neverr wait for the dub.

caught in the wonder
Oct 9, 2017 9:32 AM

Jan 2017
No, not only is sub better (it keeps the anime exactly as the creator intended it to be), but also Funimation is toxic as hell.

Sources:
http://www.theoasg.com/articles/please-save-my-money/problems-funimations-escaflowne-kickstarter/3138

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/FUNimation-Reviews-E381678_P4.htm
Oct 9, 2017 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
I'm just gonna wait for the dubs because I'm patient like that. I'm behind on last season's anime a bit to begin with tbh.

I do like dubs if they are good so I'll give them a chance. In the case that it is a bad dub I'll switch.
Oct 9, 2017 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
oh my god watch the subs you lazy bum
dubs are inferior
Oct 9, 2017 9:44 AM

Dec 2015
Watch with subs first them rewatch it later when the dub is out, that's what I'm doing with dbs. But if you're patient enough just wait for the dubs, then.
Oct 9, 2017 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
Well it all depends on how eager you are to watch them... If you literally can't wait an extra 2 weeks for the dub to air then just watch the sub... Personally I wait till anime finish airing before I watch it... So I have both options always available
Oct 9, 2017 10:11 AM

Sep 2017
azzul said:
Watch with subs first them rewatch it later when the dub is out, that's what I'm doing with dbs. But if you're patient enough just wait for the dubs, then.

I have way too much on my hands to rewatch anime
Oct 9, 2017 10:55 AM

Mar 2013
That basically depends on whether or not you prefer dubs/subs, and how badly you want to watch the anime series in question. If you prefer dub and you can stand to wait, then by all means wait for the dub.If you prefer subs, or you are dying to watch the series now then watch it with subs. You can always rewatch a series in the dub later on.

I personally prefer subs because as a Brit, the American accent really grates on me and they seem to only ever pick American voice actors. Even for something like Black Butler which is set in England. Sometimes I'd need subs anyway even if I'm watching the dub because the accent for certain characters is that bad.
Oct 9, 2017 10:58 AM

Nov 2016
Subs are better. That is the universal truth.
Oct 9, 2017 11:39 AM

Jan 2017
>OP mentions that he doesn't want to hear people say "Only watch subs"
>users proceed to tell him to only watch subs.
never change,guys.
Oct 9, 2017 11:41 AM

Jan 2017
just wait for the Kekkai Sensen and Beyond dub. this one is guaranteed to be as good as the dub fo the first season. i don't know about the others tho. wait until they reveal the cast for each dub and then decide if you want to watch it dubbed or subbed.
Oct 9, 2017 11:51 AM

Sep 2017
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
just wait for the Kekkai Sensen and Beyond dub. this one is guaranteed to be as good as the dub fo the first season. i don't know about the others tho. wait until they reveal the cast for each dub and then decide if you want to watch it dubbed or subbed.

See! That's helpful! Thanks for the advice
Oct 9, 2017 11:58 AM

Jan 2017
@AustinDoujin you are welcome :) glad i could help.
Oct 9, 2017 12:14 PM
Apr 2017
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
never change,guys.

That was added later, pretty sure.
Since it was edited just under 50 minutes ago, that's a fairly realistic assumption
Actually, you would have been the first post since he added that part
Oct 9, 2017 12:20 PM

Jan 2017
ScoptOriginal said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
never change,guys.

Since it was edited just under 50 minutes ago, that's a fairly realistic assumption

well, that makes sense. anyway people who don't like dubs should just avoid these threads,their comments are completely pointless and not helpful at all. the OP is clearly asking people who enjoy watching both dubs and subs.

Sep 2017
ScoptOriginal said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
never change,guys.

Note #2 was added quite a bit before #3. That one also said don't tell me to only watch subs and people still did it anyways

Sep 2017
Go subs dude except for black clover.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 10, 2017 5:21 AM

Aug 2015
Don't watch dub. Subs are superior to dub.
Oct 10, 2017 5:53 AM

Dec 2014
I am only watching Black Clover sub, cos that was the one anime I was most looking forward to watching this season all the others I will watch the dub for depends if you can wait another couple of weeks for the dub to be released or not
Oct 10, 2017 5:56 AM

Jun 2014
If you would like to wait for the English dubs of those Anime to come out, go right ahead. I like both dub and sub, and anyone who would say that one is superior to another is an idiot.

I'm as weeb as it gets. I have a Japanese name, and I study the Japanese language, but I still enjoy English dubs.

Oct 10, 2017 6:56 AM

Mar 2014
Only watch subs and choose the ones you really want to see to watch in sub
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 10, 2017 7:07 AM

May 2015
GuyWRunningShirt said:
it keeps the anime exactly as the creator intended it to be
Except it probably doesn't, I don't think the creator intended for it to be subbed. You'd have to watch it raw for it to be exactly as the creator intended it to be.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 7:40 AM

Sep 2016
Here is my suggestion:

Do what I'm doing, start off with the subbed versions and get a feel for them.
When the dubs start coming out, watch the first couple episodes of those for each show and make your own comparison.
Decide which you think is better and then continue to collect that version of the show.

Don't rely on the opinion of others, since I'm sure you already know the level of bias typically found in the 'sub vs dub' debate.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Oct 10, 2017 7:49 AM

Sep 2016
sure if you are american pleb who watch anything foreign dubbed
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 10, 2017 7:53 AM

May 2015
I can guarantee that Yome and Juuni will be better subbed.

Oct 10, 2017 7:55 AM

Jun 2014
Kittens-kun said:

And how exactly can you "guarantee" it?

Oct 10, 2017 7:56 AM

May 2015
Seiya said:
Kittens-kun said:

How can you guarantee that they won't be terrible?

Oct 10, 2017 7:58 AM

Jun 2014
Kittens-kun said:
Seiya said:

I can't. Same reason you can't guarantee that they'll be better subbed.

Oct 10, 2017 8:02 AM

May 2015
Seiya said:
Kittens-kun said:

90% of dubs are trash, or at the very least worse than their sub version. Plus, not everything Funimation does is good, even if they're the only people that can actually dub something properly. I guess we'll see when they come out, but I highly doubt I'll be proven wrong.

Oct 10, 2017 8:07 AM

Jun 2014
Kittens-kun said:
Seiya said:

90% of dubs are trash, or at the very least worse than their sub version. Plus, not everything Funimation does is good, even if they're the only people that can actually dub something properly. I guess we'll see when they come out, but I highly doubt I'll be proven wrong.

Oh, here we go. So you're a "sub elitist," huh? A lot of people your age and younger seem to be that way. You probably didn't grow up with good dubs like most people my age did.

You couldn't even get subbed Anime where I live back in the 90s. Video rental stores only ordered dubbed tapes, because they figured that nobody would want to watch something with subtitles, as older generations tended to frown upon them.

Again, I don't hate subs, and many of my favorite Anime don't have a dub, because they weren't licensed in North America, and I enjoyed them just fine, but I still enjoy Anime dubbed just as much as I do subbed.

Oct 10, 2017 8:12 AM

May 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Seiya said:

Have you listened to 100% of the dubs around? Also it is kinda subjective, same way I could say that Hanazawa Kana is a trash VA but at the same time is one of the most beloved VAs on MAL.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 8:13 AM

May 2015
Seiya said:
Kittens-kun said:

Oh, here we go. So you're a "sub elitist," huh? A lot of people your age and younger seem to be that way. You probably didn't grow up with good dubs like most people my age did.

You couldn't even get subbed Anime where I live back in the 90s. Video rental stores only ordered dubbed tapes, because they figured that nobody would want to watch something with subtitles, as older generations tended to frown upon them.

Again, I don't hate subs, and many of my favorite Anime don't have a dub, because they weren't licensed in North America, and I enjoyed them just fine, but I still enjoy Anime dubbed just as much as I do subbed.

No, a sub elitist would be someone that hates ALL dubs and shits on people who like them. I enjoy a few dubs. Hell, there are some shows that I REFUSE to watch subbed (FMAB and Death Note being two examples) Did you notice how I said 90% and not 100?

And I wouldn't hate on someone who likes a dub I don't. I don't like Boku no Hero's dub, but if people enjoy it? Fine, you do you. I don't really care what language people watch a show in. Their thoughts and opinions on the show itself are more important.

Oct 10, 2017 8:15 AM

May 2015
zal said:
Kittens-kun said:

Have you listened to 100% of the dubs around? Also it is kinda subjective, same way I could say that Hanazawa Kana is a trash VA but at the same time is one of the most beloved VAs on MAL.

I don't think I should have to explain myself there. It's obvious that I meant 90% of all the dubs I've SEEN.

Oct 10, 2017 8:22 AM

Sep 2014
zal said:
GuyWRunningShirt said:
it keeps the anime exactly as the creator intended it to be
Except it probably doesn't, I don't think the creator intended for it to be subbed. You'd have to watch it raw for it to be exactly as the creator intended it to be.

Exactly. How do people not get this is beyond me.

Anyways, Op if you like dubs then you could wait for them but as you know, they might not be good. I would say atleast watch the sequels in dub and rest up-to you.
Oct 10, 2017 4:02 PM

Sep 2017
Okay. So barely anyone has been helpful. All people are saying is subs are superior or watch them all in dubs if you want to.

If anyone would still like to be helpful and not be a complete ignoramus, please listen carefully to what I am about to say.

If you are going to tell me to only watch subs then GET THE FUCK OUT. I obviously enjoy dubs and nothing you say is going to change that. Take your crappy opinions somewhere else.

The purpose of this post was not for me to decided whether I should watch them all in sub or all in dub. The purpose was to find out which SPECIFIC SHOWS I should watch dubbed and which SPECIFIC SHOWS I should watch subbed.

Really all of that was very clearly stated in the OP, so apparently you all just read the the title and went on with your reply. Only a couple of you people were actually helpful so thanks @Cyborg_Icarus29 and @Kittens-kun. So if any of you would like to contribute something helpful please do so!
AustinDoujinOct 10, 2017 4:08 PM
Oct 10, 2017 4:03 PM

Sep 2017
Older_than_dirt said:
Here is my suggestion:

Do what I'm doing, start off with the subbed versions and get a feel for them.
When the dubs start coming out, watch the first couple episodes of those for each show and make your own comparison.
Decide which you think is better and then continue to collect that version of the show.

Don't rely on the opinion of others, since I'm sure you already know the level of bias typically found in the 'sub vs dub' debate.

I don't have that kind of time. And if I'm already watching something subbed I won't switch to the dub.
Oct 10, 2017 4:08 PM
Jul 2012
Dubs usually don't end the same time as the sub. The sub will usually be ahead after a few weeks it would be smarter to just watch the sub instead since you'll be waiting most of the time. For example look at some of the dubs from last season that were supposedly simuldub they are just now ending while the subbed versions ended about 2-3 weeks ago.
Oct 10, 2017 4:09 PM

Sep 2017
Jakerams said:
Dubs usually don't end the same time as the sub. The sub will usually be ahead after a few weeks it would be smarter to just watch the sub instead since you'll be waiting most of the time. For example look at some of the dubs from last season that were supposedly simuldub they are just now ending while the subbed versions ended about 2-3 weeks ago.

Basically my question is which ones are so good I should watch them now and which are kinda ok and I should wait for dub.
Oct 10, 2017 4:11 PM

Feb 2015

Note #2: I enjoy dubs. So please don't tell me to only watch subs because subs are superior

So why are you making a contradictory thread of something you... Wait... Ohhh no wonder why...

Seems like I've still have a lot to learn when it comes to Sub/Dub Shitpost threads huh....
Oct 10, 2017 4:12 PM
Jul 2012
AustinDoujin said:
Jakerams said:

Basically my question is which ones are so good I should watch them now and which are kinda ok and I should wait for dub.
From the looks of it most of the dubs aren't released yet. Also I doubt you'll get answers for dubs on MAL in all honesty considering most people hate dubs. You'll be better off asking on places like reddit once each episode is dubbed.
Oct 10, 2017 4:13 PM

Sep 2017
_Ako_ said:

So why are you making a contradictory thread of something you... Wait... Ohhh no wonder why...

Seems like I've still have a lot to learn when it comes to Sub/Dub Shitpost threads huh....

If you're implying that this is a shitpost it is not. I tried to ask a legit question and people are turning it into a shitpost.
Oct 10, 2017 4:14 PM

Sep 2017
Jakerams said:
AustinDoujin said:

From the looks of it most of the dubs aren't released yet. Also I doubt you'll get answers for dubs on MAL in all honesty considering most people hate dubs. You'll be better off asking on places like reddit once each episode is dubbed.

Yeah you're probably right. I apologize for believing in this community
Oct 10, 2017 4:15 PM

Feb 2015
AustinDoujin said:
_Ako_ said:

If you're implying that this is a shitpost it is not. I tried to ask a legit question and people are turning it into a shitpost.

Interestingly, the increase of people who don't even know what to do is evident. Nay, the increase of who creates a not-shitposting thread is increase because of that.

Certainly, I'm assuming you didn't even thought of what do you really want.

*shrug*
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 19 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
16 seconds ago

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

18 by Zarutaku »»
28 seconds ago

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 8 hours ago

18 by Eleben »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 6 hours ago

15 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » challenge: you died and you get transported to the world in one of your ptw anime, what will it be?

GDjkhp - Apr 6

16 by GDjkhp »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.