Forums
New
Do you want Feminism in your Anime?
Yes, politics infesting entertainment is a good thing
18.8%
No, the Author's vision should be respected
81.2%
911 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Sep 21, 2017 5:15 AM

Mar 2015
Nyu said:
Kuma said:

we already talk about this nyu... the one who refute it also japan feminist... so it was faminist pro cencorship versus feminist againts cencorship...

Feminists in Japan couldn't support censorship of anime, cause they would lose a significant amount of support. So, they just done what was in their best interest.
Feminists in Japan are as toxic as those in the West, they got Affirmative Action implemented in Japan last year. Which is systemic discrimination.

what? lot of them literaly made series that those "moralist" literaly try to ban or already banned like kodomo no jikan... it was kinda funny story how she defend her series because it's "too lewd" by a male...
KumaSep 21, 2017 5:20 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 21, 2017 5:48 AM

Mar 2014
@Nyu Point it out to me where I have argued in favor of affirmitive action or where I have even mentioned the subject in the first place. Also, you have yet to prove that the Japanese governement, police force etc is infiltriated by evil feminazis and that the implementation of women only subway cars is 100 % the radfems' doing, so why don't you do that as well while you're at it.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 21, 2017 5:56 AM

Nov 2016
It can be a discussed subject or be part of the anime's themes but toxic irl stuff should stay away from fiction whether it's anime or video games or movies or whatever. Why would anyone wanna bring RL issues into a fictive fantasy world? That's stupid.
Sep 21, 2017 6:14 AM

Jul 2016
Kuma said:
Nyu said:

Feminists in Japan couldn't support censorship of anime, cause they would lose a significant amount of support. So, they just done what was in their best interest.
Feminists in Japan are as toxic as those in the West, they got Affirmative Action implemented in Japan last year. Which is systemic discrimination.

what? lot of them literaly made series that those "moralist" literaly try to ban or already banned like kodomo no jikan... it was kinda funny story how she defend her series because it's "too lewd" by a male...

Those Feminists might be fine with "lewd" stuff, but anime with violence against women, nah. They only defended it against fellow Feminists because they would lose support.

Comic_Sans said:
@Nyu Point it out to me where I have argued in favor of affirmitive action or where I have even mentioned the subject in the first place. Also, you have yet to prove that the Japanese governement, police force etc is infiltriated by evil feminazis and that the implementation of women only subway cars is 100 % the radfems' doing, so why don't you do that as well while you're at it.

Since you like to blame everything negative about Feminism on radfems, I should clarify, that those pushing Affirmative Action are moderate Feminists, even those in Japan are pushing Affirmative Action.

I never once said the Japanese gov't and police were infiltrated by Feminists, but that Feminists were lobbying and campaigning for female only trains, lobbying and campaigning is done from outside of the Gov't, it's how Feminists got the vote for women in Europe. So stop asserting that I'm saying that they've infiltrated everywhere, cause they don't even have to, they can just bitch about things, get attention by sympathetic media, and then the Gov't/police have to do what they're saying, or get bad press. It's the same everywhere.
Sep 21, 2017 6:16 AM

Mar 2015
Nyu said:
Kuma said:

Those Feminists might be fine with "lewd" stuff, but anime with violence against women, nah. They only defended it against fellow Feminists because they would lose support.

what? the shoujo is full of those... even the feminist directly saying "banning fiction depictation of those things doesn't help the real woman... it's also doesn't change the fact it does happened... it even actually hurt real life woman because lot of woman also works in them"....

Nyu said:
Since you like to blame everything negative about Feminism on radfems, I should clarify, that those pushing Affirmative Action are moderate Feminists, even those in Japan are pushing Affirmative Action.

I never once said the Japanese gov't and police were infiltrated by Feminists, but that Feminists were lobbying and campaigning for female only trains, lobbying and campaigning is done from outside of the Gov't, it's how Feminists got the vote for women in Europe. So stop asserting that I'm saying that they've infiltrated everywhere, cause they don't even have to, they can just bitch about things, get attention by sympathetic media, and then the Gov't/police have to do what they're saying, or get bad press. It's the same everywhere.

can you give the source? or usual your unbased bullshitery?

because current japan goverment is mayority and lead by conservative party... (and scarely almost ultranationalist at it, glad that japan goverment balance of power actually works)
KumaSep 21, 2017 6:28 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 21, 2017 7:29 AM

Mar 2014
@Nyu Radical feminists or moderate feminists, you still haven't managed to point out where I argued in favor of AA or where I brought up the subject to begin with.

Wow, as if that changes anything of what I said about you having to prove your claims. For the third time, prove that women only subway cars being implemented is 100 % the evil feminists' fault or GFTO
Comic_SansSep 21, 2017 7:34 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 21, 2017 7:36 AM
May 2017
Bourmegar said:
--ALEX-- said:
This shit's still going?!

Let's just agree to keep feminism away from anime....not because it's good or bad, but because it's too divisive.

Jesus.

As long as Different ppl keep on being exposed to anime, Keeping away movements like Feminism is impossible.
While that may be true, Japan gives literally no fucks about western values. It's actually kind of funny just how easily dismissive they are of western criticism.
Sep 21, 2017 1:51 PM

Oct 2014
Nyu said:
Bourmegar said:

As long as Different ppl keep on being exposed to anime, Keeping away movements like Feminism is impossible.

You mentioned on a different post that, you think it's wrong to censor Feminism, however, Feminism is censorship, so by censoring Feminism, we are preventing the wide scale censorship they would enforce.

Feminism has no place in Anime, and people keep bringing up Miyzaki, he is hardly a Feminist, having female characters in a story is not Feminist, having a independent woman is not feminist, it's real life. He is hardly a feminist, women have been independent for hundreds of years, that's not some new concept.
The only thing that makes him feminist, is his assertion that he is a feminist, he has nothing to show for it.

Bernrika said:
I don't get why you are so against censorship Nyu, the nazi are all about censorship.

Well, though I guess instead of censoring people, they just murdered and silenced them.

I only support censorship of Feminism, cause it's like Racism, you can't be tolerant of racism, because it prevents being tolerant of other peoples.

No I said that Censorship as a whole is not good.
If an Anime has feminists themes in its Original Form then there is no Censorship in that anime.
if an Anime got Feminist themes due to Censorship then yh, I don't like it.

but here is the thing, Censorship doesn't do jack shit, in fact it only makes ppl bolder and Bolder, ppl still play the games that their country has banned, Hentai patches will be made when VN's are getting censored and here in Anime we still have pirates.

an author should be able to say what he or she wants to say, even if it is about Feminism and etc.
Censorship needs to go away, it only pisses ppl off, makes go Illegal routes just to get the Pure version.

Taifood said:
Bourmegar said:

While that may be true, Japan gives literally no fucks about western values. It's actually kind of funny just how easily dismissive they are of western criticism.

Yh I remember the Japanese ppl reacting towards the west Complaining about DOAX3, and Dam these Comments that they made were savage AF.
Sep 21, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2012
I don't have a problem with ideas on Feminism or feminist messages being in anime. I also don't mind when people criticize anime with a feminist lens.

That doesn't mean that all anime should be catered to females though and fan-service should be banned or something. If an anime depicts female characters as hot/cute characters for guys to look at there's nothing inherently wrong with that, same for hot guy characters for girls to look at.

So yeah, I don't mind it being there but I don't think anime should actually change because of it or feel like it needs to do certain things to please them. If a show decides to have really strong feminist messages though to appeal to that crowd I also don't see anything wrong with that. The creators are just making something for an audience they see open.
Sep 21, 2017 3:43 PM

Oct 2014
Anime will always reflect Japanese culture and thank fuck for that. It would be extremely depressing if western culture/politics started to creep into anime. It would no longer be escapism.
Sep 21, 2017 4:20 PM

Sep 2017
MightySheep said:
Anime will always reflect Japanese culture and thank fuck for that. It would be extremely depressing if western culture/politics started to creep into anime. It would no longer be escapism.

If "western values" meant :

1) no more pedo lolis
2) no more walking sex toys
3)decent MC's instead of dumb whine fests

I am all for it.
Sep 21, 2017 4:23 PM

Oct 2014
Go watch the Simpsons if you want western political correctness
Sep 21, 2017 4:25 PM

Sep 2017
MightySheep said:

Not wanting pedophilic sexualised children= too much political correctness ?

Fucking really ?
james501Sep 21, 2017 4:32 PM
Sep 21, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2011
Bernrika said:
Rotton-Girl said:
What if the author's vision is political?

Real talk, I would say an author's vision is always "political", one way or another. People write stuff based on their belief and ideologies, as well life experiences.

Then again, "political" is a meaningless word, nowadays.

I am inclined to believe this. Even if you try to make a non-political piece, inevitably, your personal politics, culture, local laws, life experience- will influence your art.

Examples of anime I think are political (no not just feminist style)
Death Note
Rose of Versailles
Neon Genesis Evangelion
GATE
Grave of the Fireflies (was actually intended as sympathy propaganda- several Ghibli works are actually controversial in Japan like The Wind Rises)
Akira
Hetalia
Gundam
Eden of the East
Ghost in the Shell
Great Teacher Onizuka
Sakigake!! Cromartie High
Wandering Son
Serial Experiments Lain (was political commentary on the USA believe it or not)
Perfect Blue
Aim for the Ace
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 21, 2017 8:12 PM

Jun 2011
Raith94 said:
I don't have a problem with ideas on Feminism or feminist messages being in anime. I also don't mind when people criticize anime with a feminist lens.

That doesn't mean that all anime should be catered to females though and fan-service should be banned or something. If an anime depicts female characters as hot/cute characters for guys to look at there's nothing inherently wrong with that, same for hot guy characters for girls to look at.

So yeah, I don't mind it being there but I don't think anime should actually change because of it or feel like it needs to do certain things to please them. If a show decides to have really strong feminist messages though to appeal to that crowd I also don't see anything wrong with that. The creators are just making something for an audience they see open.

Should more anime be made with a female demographic in mind given how well our series' have been selling recently?

(Natsume, Yuri on ice, Free!- Keep in mind Rakugo was also made for women...Not a wider demographic like Haikyuu. Orange actually did really well despite me not liking it- and yeah for the male characters not being that great. I actually liked the girl fine. Uta no Prince-sama is doing very well )

*hopes for season 3 of Chihayafuru*
*hopes for adaptation of a number of quality yaoi manga instead of the crap they keep picking: 10Dance would be perfection when it is done*
There were so many people buying Yuri on Ice Blurays overseas that they had block people. XD
Energetic-NovaSep 21, 2017 8:20 PM
Sep 21, 2017 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
MightySheep said:

how is the simpsons politically correct at all are you retarded
the simpsons (and futurama) as an addendum have a ton of "offensive" jokes in them that'd make SJWs cry, at least the earlier episodes I've seen of the simpsons, but as someone who's watched futurama multiple times 10 seasons over that shit isn't pc at all

also don't forget about mcfarlene's series they're like the opposite of politically correct
even bobs burgers has quite a few dark jokes (including one in the first ep about the barely pubescent son being potentially crept on by predators for gods sake)
Sep 22, 2017 12:11 AM

May 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
i want feminism to stick it big looooonggg hard dick wayyyyyyyy up my ass
aka put it in my hentai
2017 and not having a feminism dom Japanese cartoon fetish? noob
FUUUUCKING THIS.

That shit is my jam. It's sad how little hentai anime have pegging in them.
Sep 22, 2017 12:16 AM

Mar 2014
MightySheep said:
The Simpsons? Politically correct?

Admittedly I haven't kept up with the series for a long time, but I wouldn't exactly label this "politically correct".
Nico- said:
Sep 22, 2017 1:41 AM

Apr 2015
I like how some nerds here are against feminism in their anime, because feminism movement wants to censor their anime boobs or something, by wanting to ban feminism from anime aka censoring it. Good luck inventing a time machine and going back to the 70's to stop evil feminism from influencing anime.

MightySheep said:

Try to give me one western adult animation that is politically correct.
Sep 22, 2017 1:48 AM

May 2015
Nyu said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't see how saying bad things about video games is crying for censorship. Some criticism of feminism is valid, but that one never took hold of me. I never saw a 'censor this!' feminist. No, Anita doesn't count. She's a critic who doesn't ask for it.

The UN tried to censor anime, "feminists certainly don't want to censor anything", Gaming news outlets like Kotaku and polygon are always asking for censorship, and they get it, like Tracer's appearance getting censored, like Street Fighter getting censored, this happens all the time, Feminists got GTA V censored, by getting it removed from stores in Australia, Anita is asking for censorship, that is the point of her videos, to try and change the things in games that she is criticising.

Or are you just gonna get into semantics, "but that'ssss not reallllyyy censorship".
If so, I'm blocking you and ignoring your posts from now on.

Anita didn't ask for censorship. I saw all the videos. Gamers just couldn't comprehend a deeper review of video games.

Anything else is just as bad as "FEMINISTS MUST BE SILENT IN THE NAME OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH". I agree.

Rotton-Girl said:
Raith94 said:

Should more anime be made with a female demographic in mind given how well our series' have been selling recently?

(Natsume, Yuri on ice, Free!- Keep in mind Rakugo was also made for women...Not a wider demographic like Haikyuu. Orange actually did really well despite me not liking it- and yeah for the male characters not being that great. I actually liked the girl fine. Uta no Prince-sama is doing very well )

*hopes for adaptation of a number of quality yaoi manga instead of the crap they keep picking: 10Dance would be perfection when it is done*
There were so many people buying Yuri on Ice Blurays overseas that they had block people. XD

Anime shouldn't be made with any demographic in mind.

WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 22, 2017 1:59 AM

Mar 2015
MightySheep said:

i am not gonna pointing out about western anime, i simply pointing out that political correctness in japan is much scarier than you think... remember renho gintama controversy? or barefoot gen ban?

TheBrainintheJar said:

disagree, the recipe of succesful anime is knowing who are your audience and what they want...
Sep 22, 2017 4:36 AM

Jun 2012
Rotton-Girl said:
Raith94 said:

Sure, as long as the female audience is there and is buying into the product (so watching the series, buying merchandise, etc.) than there should be as many shows that female watchers can handle. If Haikyuu, Kuroko and Yuri on Ice have any indication of how much female fans are willing to spend on their favorite shows, I think there is a lot more room for more shows for women.

Josei shows in particular I think there should be more of, since their more mature themes make them more appealing to male audiences too (older male audiances I would say). Romantic stories have this cliche as being only for girls and women, but as Rakugo Shinju shows us they can be really popular with men as well (its not like men only like guys going around punching each other in their entertainment lol).
Sep 22, 2017 5:52 AM

Jul 2016
Bourmegar said:
Nyu said:

You mentioned on a different post that, you think it's wrong to censor Feminism, however, Feminism is censorship, so by censoring Feminism, we are preventing the wide scale censorship they would enforce.

Feminism has no place in Anime, and people keep bringing up Miyzaki, he is hardly a Feminist, having female characters in a story is not Feminist, having a independent woman is not feminist, it's real life. He is hardly a feminist, women have been independent for hundreds of years, that's not some new concept.
The only thing that makes him feminist, is his assertion that he is a feminist, he has nothing to show for it.

I only support censorship of Feminism, cause it's like Racism, you can't be tolerant of racism, because it prevents being tolerant of other peoples.

If an Anime has feminists themes in its Original Form then there is no Censorship in that anime.

but here is the thing, Censorship doesn't do jack shit, in fact it only makes ppl bolder and Bolder, ppl still play the games that their country has banned, Hentai patches will be made when VN's are getting censored and here in Anime we still have pirates.

an author should be able to say what he or she wants to say, even if it is about Feminism and etc.
Censorship needs to go away, it only pisses ppl off, makes go Illegal routes just to get the Pure version.

Taifood said:

Yh I remember the Japanese ppl reacting towards the west Complaining about DOAX3, and Dam these Comments that they made were savage AF.

With your logic, society might as well be tolerant to Racists, because "all tolerance is good". Absolutionism is archaic. Not all Censorship is bad.

Feminism has proven to the world, that it devolves into censorship and Female Supremacy when it has completed it's objectives (Equal rights for women).

Feminism is no different to Communism, in the 20th Century, if it is not halted, it will only cause havoc in society.

Censorship doesn't do jack shit? Then why are they pushing censorship?
Because it's very damn effective.

Rotton-Girl said:
Bernrika said:

Real talk, I would say an author's vision is always "political", one way or another. People write stuff based on their belief and ideologies, as well life experiences.

Then again, "political" is a meaningless word, nowadays.

I am inclined to believe this. Even if you try to make a non-political piece, inevitably, your personal politics, culture, local laws, life experience- will influence your art.

Death Note
Rose of Versailles
Neon Genesis Evangelion
GATE
Grave of the Fireflies (was actually intended as sympathy propaganda- several Ghibli works are actually controversial in Japan like The Wind Rises)
Akira
Hetalia
Gundam
Eden of the East
Ghost in the Shell
Great Teacher Onizuka
Wandering Son
Perfect Blue
Aim for the Ace

Feminism is not "normal politics", it's current politics, that is very divisive.
It's like Communism in the Cold War, not everyone wants to have current Politics shoved into their entertainment, they just want to relax in peace, without being Indoctrinated.

Rotton-Girl said:
Raith94 said:

Anime already caters to the Female demographic, since the primary demographic of anime is male, the main focus should be animes catering to males.

urpoutta said:
I like how some nerds here are against feminism in their anime, because feminism movement wants to censor their anime boobs or something, by wanting to ban feminism from anime aka censoring it. Good luck inventing a time machine and going back to the 70's to stop evil feminism from influencing anime.

MightySheep said:

"Some nerds here are against feminism in their anime"?
You mean the majority, 80% of people here, are sick of Feminism.

Well Feminism of the 70s was very different. It actually had justification to some extent. Nowadays, Feminism is a toxic and archaic relic of the past.
And has no place in modern society.

Wanting to censor Feminism, is no different than society being intolerant of racists.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Nyu said:

The UN tried to censor anime, "feminists certainly don't want to censor anything", Gaming news outlets like Kotaku and polygon are always asking for censorship, and they get it, like Tracer's appearance getting censored, like Street Fighter getting censored, this happens all the time, Feminists got GTA V censored, by getting it removed from stores in Australia, Anita is asking for censorship, that is the point of her videos, to try and change the things in games that she is criticising.

Or are you just gonna get into semantics, "but that'ssss not reallllyyy censorship".
If so, I'm blocking you and ignoring your posts from now on.

Anita didn't ask for censorship. I saw all the videos. Gamers just couldn't comprehend a deeper review of video games.

Anything else is just as bad as "FEMINISTS MUST BE SILENT IN THE NAME OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH". I agree.

Rotton-Girl said:

Anita didn't ask for censorship, you really are hilarious.
"Ah, yeah I'm just criticising these games, taking things out of context and misrepresenting them to portray a narrative that they are sexist. But, I certainnly don't want themmmmmm censored, like seriously, where did you get that idea from".

Gamers could clearly comprehend her "reviews".

Ah, so you don't address all those examples of Feminist censorship within Gaming, that I provided. Or the feminist culture that has recently infected Gaming, and is causing widespread censorship.

Censoring censorists isn't censorship.

Also, Anime should be made with the primary demographic in mind, which is males.
Sep 22, 2017 7:07 AM

Oct 2014
Nyu said:
Bourmegar said:

With your logic, society might as well be tolerant to Racists, because "all tolerance is good". Absolutionism is archaic. Not all Censorship is bad.

Feminism has proven to the world, that it devolves into censorship and Female Supremacy when it has completed it's objectives (Equal rights for women).

Feminism is no different to Communism, in the 20th Century, if it is not halted, it will only cause havoc in society.

Censorship doesn't do jack shit? Then why are they pushing censorship?
Because it's very damn effective.

Rotton-Girl said:

Death Note
Rose of Versailles
Neon Genesis Evangelion
GATE
Akira
Hetalia
Gundam
Eden of the East
Ghost in the Shell
Great Teacher Onizuka
Wandering Son
Perfect Blue
Aim for the Ace

Feminism is not "normal politics", it's current politics, that is very divisive.
It's like Communism in the Cold War, not everyone wants to have current Politics shoved into their entertainment, they just want to relax in peace, without being Indoctrinated.

Rotton-Girl said:

Anime already caters to the Female demographic, since the primary demographic of anime is male, the main focus should be animes catering to males.

urpoutta said:

Well Feminism of the 70s was very different. It actually had justification to some extent. Nowadays, Feminism is a toxic and archaic relic of the past.

Wanting to censor Feminism, is no different than society being intolerant of racists.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Anita didn't ask for censorship, you really are hilarious.
"Ah, yeah I'm just criticising these games, taking things out of context and misrepresenting them to portray a narrative that they are sexist. But, I certainnly don't want themmmmmm censored, like seriously, where did you get that idea from".

Gamers could clearly comprehend her "reviews".

Ah, so you don't address all those examples of Feminist censorship within Gaming, that I provided. Or the feminist culture that has recently infected Gaming, and is causing widespread censorship.

Censoring censorists isn't censorship.

Also, Anime should be made with the primary demographic in mind, which is males.

Well First, I will adress these censorships that where according to you caused by Feminists.
First of all, Tracer only got a different Pose because the old one was out of Character, plus the new pose she got was still dam sexy.
Then GTA V, well GTA as a franchise is one of the most controversial series ever made and is so full of Violence that it wouldn't be strange if anyone who is against that kind of violence would try to censor it.
And the censorship in Street fighter? well yh that was done by Feminists.
Then there is the DOAX3 BS (Come on we are allowed to watch porn but seeing sexy girls in sexy swimwear is to much?).

so not all Censorship is caused by Feminists. Not all Feminists are bad. heck there are even Feminists out there who are against Anita.
and BDw, Femenists are not the only ones who make things toxic here, there are the "we must have equality everywhere" ppl as well as the Complete opposite of that.

a LOT of Feminists sadly fail to use common sense, Branding gamers as Misogynists even though Gamers are ectually very welcoming to Female gamers as well.
Gladly there are still Feminists here who know that as well.

And yes you are right, not all censorship is bad. Kids shows like Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon got the Guns censored out (in Pokemon's case, that episode with the gun got Banned for a good reason). and many Religious Depictions got censored as well.
And yh Racism is bad to and should just GO OFF AND DIE, and i think the same about the Toxic Feminists, Toxic Lefties, Toxic Righties and etc.
I lean towards the left but even I completelty Disagree with their actions.

and if the Feminists want a Feminist Friendly Anime then they should just make one on their own and let the other Anime be just as it is in their original forms.
Anime is a Wide Medium with a extremely wide range of ideas and shows for everybody and it should stay like that, and if Feminism is really going to kill that then we should Defend anime!
Sep 22, 2017 7:49 AM
Sep 2017
@Nyu

Watch out I pointing my finger gun at you

Haha sorry had to do it

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 22, 2017 8:53 AM

Jun 2011
Bourmegar said:

and if the Feminists want a Feminist Friendly Anime then they should just make one on their own and let the other Anime be just as it is in their original forms.
Anime is a Wide Medium with a extremely wide range of ideas and shows for everybody and it should stay like that, and if Feminism is really going to kill that then we should Defend anime!

But whenever people do... you get people up in arms and pissed off thinking people bent to serve a viewpoint when it could be that the creator themselves just has those politics or just wanted to make a political anime. And an anime having feminism as a topic, doesn't make it feminist necessarily. Certainly not pro-feminist. lol.

Example: I Me My Strawberry Eggs
Second Example: Madoka Magika.

The first has female domination and separatism has a topic. Which honestly is what Nyu seems to think feminism is so he should honestly watch it.

Madoka Magica full on has a teacher trying to teach women's studies the entire time while students ignore the teacher. lol.

Extremely political but pretty subtle in the case of Madoka because most people probably didn't even notice. There is also a bit where Madoka's mom gives really sexist advice to Madoka but is framed as a working woman who works tirelessly to support her daughter and by most feminist standards would be "a hero". But what she says is against feminism itself 9/10 times.

Sailor Moon is often considered feminist by western culture standards because it is the property responsible for making publishers realize women read comics over here. But in Japan, it is seen as a "before sailor moon" and "after sailor moon" view point of vapid sexy girl consumption.
Energetic-NovaSep 22, 2017 8:58 AM
Sep 22, 2017 8:59 AM

Nov 2009
15poundfish said:
zodd0 said:

You miss the point. I know what it is and I know anti-feminists deny the existence of the patriarchy. Female empowerment is feminism per definition.

No, but hijacking definitions and redefining words doesn't make it feminist.

Quoth Wikipedia:
Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes. This includes seeking to establish educational and professional opportunities for women that are equal to such opportunities for men.

Note how the equality doesn't stop at things that are written in the laws.

15poundfish said:
What are western feminists fighting for when they are the most privileged class in their countries? Even in social categories, men have more difficult time than women because their gender roles have not changed.

What are western feminists fighting for?
* That women over 25 would not be considered unmarriageable Christmas Cake.
* That marriage is not a reason to quit the job (even if a woman needs to take some time off to give birth to her children). I mean, it might be okay if that's what the woman wants, but it does not have to be a rule.
* That their parents would get off their neck about marrying.
* That Hachiman would be able to realize his dream of marrying a rich girl and becoming a house husband.
* That randomly sexually harassing a guy like harem girls do would be a valid strategy, not a turn-off.
* That both men and women knew when it's a good time to sexually harass somebody they like, and when it's unwanted.
* That succubi in Demi-chan would never be considered guilty even if somebody groped them.
* That anime girls would never have to go "I must not react" when they are groped on the train. At least, unless they want to be groped for some reason.
* That the authorities would not lie about what happened to tentacle-raped schoolgirls in hentai. No, they did not just mysteriously "transferred away".

I could go with anime-related examples for a long time, but I think you got the gist of it.

15poundfish said:
Rotton-Girl said:

There are anime like Chu Bra which promote messages Sex Positive feminists would. And since it is an Ecchi written by a woman, you can't really say I am too wrong on that.

an ecchi about puberty is not amazing or feminist.

You haven't seen Chu Bra, did you?
Anyway, any show that portrays women as flesh-and-blood people, not angels descended from the sky or demons out to destroy mankind, is feminist these days. There are very few of them, actually.

YayaChibi said:
Fuck feminism anime is toxic enough lmao lol

Lol, fuck off, anime is pretty fucking good, and I fucking love how it has balls to do whatever the fuck it wants.
(I think I've run out of fucks for today)

suzuya_mitsuko said:
What kind of feminism? If it's really about woman right then why not? Just don't overdo it. IMO, best thing to do is put it subtly, so when people discover it, it will shine and have good reception.

Any theme works well when it's subtle enough.

--ALEX-- said:
Let's just agree to keep feminism away from anime....not because it's good or bad, but because it's too divisive.

I disagree. Anime did before, and should continue to in the future, face controversial topics.

Bernrika said:
Rotton-Girl said:
What if the author's vision is political?

Indeed. I don't think the author of Mahouka meant his work to be right-wing propaganda - that's just the way he sees the world.
And even if Masamune Shirow wants to indulge himself and return the Kuril Islands to Japan in his futuristic world of Ghost in the Shell, I say we let him.

TheBrainintheJar said:

I disagree. One of anime's obvious strengths is that it knows the concept of target audience, and targets under-served teenage male and young adult male audiences.
Nyu said:

But the other of anime's obvious strengths is that it is made with different target audiences in mind. There are anime for little girls, anime for little boys, anime for teenage girls and teenage boys, anime for young adult men, and even some anime for young adult women. And for many different audiences within these groups - anime for people who like swords and anime for people who like giant robots, for example.
Sep 22, 2017 9:04 AM

Jul 2016
Rotton-Girl said:
Bourmegar said:

But whenever people do... you get people up in arms and pissed off thinking people bent to serve a viewpoint when it could be that the creator themselves just has those politics or just wanted to make a political anime. And an anime having feminism as a topic, doesn't make it feminist necessarily. Certainly not pro-feminist. lol.

The first has female domination and separatism has a topic. Which honestly is what Nyu seems to think feminism is so he should honestly watch it.

Madoka Magica full on has a teacher trying to teach women's studies the entire time while students ignore the teacher. lol.

Extremely political but pretty subtle in the case of Madoka because most people probably didn't even notice.

If the Feminist Anime was made by a Feminist studio, or the author was feminist, most people would see that as it was intended to be Feminist, rather than having feminism forced onto it.

If the Anime has feminism as a topic, that does not necessitate the anime being feminist, as you stated, but if the anime presents feminism in a overly positive light, then it is Feminist.

It's all about bias and representation. Like a War anime, presenting both pro-war and Pacifism, if the anime unilaterally decides that "pro-war" is the "right" stance, then it is biased. But, if it presents both sides fairly, then it is balanced.
Feminist media has a habit of never presenting the other side fairly, they are essentially Propaganda.

I know what Feminism is, it's Sweden and the United Nations, Sweden which uses Affirmative Action (literal systemic discrimination) to flip the balance of power, rather than equalise it. The UN, which under Feminist direction, tries to ban anime. That is Feminism.
Sep 22, 2017 9:27 AM

Jun 2011
Nyu said:
Rotton-Girl said:

Extremely political but pretty subtle in the case of Madoka because most people probably didn't even notice.

If the Feminist Anime was made by a Feminist studio, or the author was feminist, most people would see that as it was intended to be Feminist, rather than having feminism forced onto it.

If the Anime has feminism as a topic, that does not necessitate the anime being feminist, as you stated, but if the anime presents feminism in a overly positive light, then it is Feminist.

It's all about bias and representation. Like a War anime, presenting both pro-war and Pacifism, if the anime unilaterally decides that "pro-war" is the "right" stance, then it is biased. But, if it presents both sides fairly, then it is balanced.
Feminist media has a habit of never presenting the other side fairly, they are essentially Propaganda.

I know what Feminism is, it's Sweden and the United Nations, Sweden which uses Affirmative Action (literal systemic discrimination) to flip the balance of power, rather than equalise it. The UN, which under Feminist direction, tries to ban anime. That is Feminism.

No, I think the issues come into play if a person stands from a conservative feminist or liberal feminist viewpoint. Some feminists strongly believe miniskirts apart of their movement. Identify the idea of being able to run around naked without fear as part of their goals. That knowing how to orgasm and feeling pleasure as something that should be celebrated in a world where previously people didn't believe women could orgasm but also in a world where most women don't. And certainly not often.

Other feminists are against porn, believe there has been this huge government conspiracy cover-up of genius women, believe that dressing sexy will tempt the male gaze, all sex with men is rape because men have power and rape is about power and not about sex....

I mean these are some really different viewpoints which would never agree with each other.

The people somewhere in the middle of that have some contradictory views on media and usually want censorship of that but don't want censorship of their own bodies and words? But want censorship of others? Which is annoying as fuck.

Honestly everyone just has a different idea of what freedom means.

The people who don't think Sailor Moon is feminist kinda confuse me... because the reasons I am thinking are:
1. They don't like the miniskirts and sexiness of 14 year olds.
2. They don't like 14 year old Usagi dating a college guy.
3. They somehow feel a protagonist being stupid and emotional is also "weakness" but honestly a lot of girls just found her relatable especially when she developed so much into a stronger more confident person.
4. They don't like that they fight over boys? Even though that happens in real life?
5. They don't like that they are all "pretty guardians" - cause you know... gotta have someone be fat or something? even though they deal with body image issues in the show...
6. They don't like how they dealt with the body image issues.
Energetic-NovaSep 22, 2017 9:37 AM
Sep 22, 2017 9:53 AM

Jun 2011
One of the biggest reasons why I consider Sailor Moon feminist though is some things that were going on in Japan...

When Naoko Takeuchi created the series back in the early 1990s, it was immediately after the Equal Employment Opportunity Law was passed, which enabled women everywhere to go out into the world.

So... very similar to some feminist movements that were going on in the 70's for Japan where there was some movement for manga and anime... the 1990's in Japan really did offer new freedom that even enabled Sailor Moon to happen. The 90's for Japan was America's 70's. It even shows in their music in how everything was homoerotic male fanservice. lol.

South Korea and China are seeing a very similar movement RIGHT NOW. I don't know what it is about giving women sexual rights and the right to work but... omg... dat sex revolution makes men crossdress or do gay male fanservice pretty much 100% of the time. And as a fujo- yeah I pretty much love these movements. :D Gay rights and womens movements usually go hand in hand.
Energetic-NovaSep 22, 2017 10:00 AM
Sep 22, 2017 9:55 AM

Jun 2014
Rotton-Girl said:
One of the biggest reasons why I consider Sailor Moon feminist though is some things that were going on in Japan...

When Naoko Takeuchi created the series back in the early 1990s, it was immediately after the Equal Employment Opportunity Law was passed, which enabled women everywhere to go out into the world.

So... very similar to some feminist movements that were going on in the 70's for Japan where there was some movement for manga and anime... the 1990's in Japan really did offer new freedom that even enabled Sailor Moon to happen.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is nothing "feminist" about Sailor Moon.

Sep 22, 2017 9:56 AM
Sep 2017
Feminism doesnt exist in 21century what we see now is a pseudo-feminisme ruled by feminazi .
Sep 22, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Rotton-Girl said:

So... very similar to some feminist movements that were going on in the 70's for Japan where there was some movement for manga and anime... the 1990's in Japan really did offer new freedom that even enabled Sailor Moon to happen.

I hate to burst your bubble but there is a LOT feminist about Sailor Moon.
Sep 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Jun 2014
Rotton-Girl said:
Seiya said:

No, there's certainly not.

If anything, Bubblegum Crisis and Gall Force would be considered more "feminist" than Sailor Moon.

Sep 22, 2017 4:09 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Rotton-Girl said:

If anything, Bubblegum Crisis and Gall Force would be considered more "feminist" than Sailor Moon.

Absolutely not. Sailor Moon conveys a real female experience. So it is more feminist. Definitely more feminist than Bubblegum Crisis.

Sailor Moon is a lot like some other girl power shows of the 90's. I would say it is probably the most like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Feminine, "the chosen one narrative", more powerful than male counterparts, and "super-hero monster of the week". <--- and Buffy was actually INTENDED to be feminist. lol. Vs. Sailor Moon which was only written to convey a real female experience. Which honestly, pretty much the same effect.

And behind the scenes, Sailor Moon creator, Naoko Takeuchi, did have to fight for her creation to be how she wanted.

"Sailor Moon was groundbreaking for its time, thanks to Naoko's unwillingness to back down and tailor the story to her editor's liking. She mentions in a 2013 interview with ROLa Magazine that many older male workers at Nakayoshi Magazine tried to dictate her characters' appearances and attributes. In her own words, she exclaimed that she wouldn't let "old men" decide how a story for young girls should be written." <--- Seems pretty feminist to me.

Even more hilarious one of the critiques modern feminists make of it:
"One of the biggest disputes arose when the male editors did not understand why Naoko wanted to make all the girls beautiful. Instead they wanted the characters to fit into typical manga stereotypes (an obese character, a nerdy character, etc.), because that is how fighting squadron series are usually formulated. Instead, Naoko followed her gut and infused each heroine with femininity and grace for her revitalization of the magical girl genre."

(some modern feminists, and even just people in general do not like how fat phobic the characters seem to be, but honestly, I think this would be more relatable to Japanese girls. Overweight girls are way less relatable to them.)

She even said they didn't respect female authors either. Soooo yeah. XD I mean she really was against a lot to make what she wanted to make which was BEAUTIFUL GIRLS fighting evil with some romance on the side.

Which always makes me want to ask feminists who watch Sailor Moon and don't like that aspect: Representation for who? lol. Because Sailor Moon is pretty solid representation.
Energetic-NovaSep 22, 2017 4:32 PM
Sep 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Jun 2014
Rotton-Girl said:
Seiya said:

Absolutely not. Sailor Moon conveys a real female experience. So it is more feminist. Definitely more feminist than Bubblegum Crisis.

Sailor Moon is a lot like some other girl power shows of the 90's. I would say it is probably the most like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Feminine, "the chosen one narrative", more powerful than male counterparts, and "super-hero monster of the week". <--- and Buffy was actually INTENDED to be feminist. lol. Vs. Sailor Moon which was only written to convey a real female experience. Which honestly, pretty much the same effect.

And behind the scenes, Sailor Moon creator, Naoko Takeuchi, did have to fight for her creation to be how she wanted.

"Sailor Moon was groundbreaking for its time, thanks to Naoko's unwillingness to back down and tailor the story to her editor's liking. She mentions in a 2013 interview with ROLa Magazine that many older male workers at Nakayoshi Magazine tried to dictate her characters' appearances and attributes. In her own words, she exclaimed that she wouldn't let "old men" decide how a story for young girls should be written." <--- Seems pretty feminist to me.

"One of the biggest disputes arose when the male editors did not understand why Naoko wanted to make all the girls beautiful. Instead they wanted the characters to fit into typical manga stereotypes (an obese character, a nerdy character, etc.), because that is how fighting squadron series are usually formulated. Instead, Naoko followed her gut and infused each heroine with femininity and grace for her revitalization of the magical girl genre."

She even said they didn't respect female authors either. Soooo yeah. XD I mean she really was against a lot to make what she wanted to make which was BEAUTIFUL GIRLS fighting evil with some romance on the side.

Lol, just because the girls all look feminine, doesn't make it feminist.

If Sailor Moon was really feminist, all the inner senshi would be running around making false rape allegations instead of fighting evil.

Sep 22, 2017 4:50 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Rotton-Girl said:

If Sailor Moon was really feminist, all the inner senshi would be running around making false rape allegations instead of fighting evil.

What does that have to do with 90's feminism, let alone Japanese feminism?
Sep 22, 2017 4:54 PM

Jun 2014
Rotton-Girl said:
Seiya said:

Probably not much the more I think about it, but you know me, if I hear the word "feminist/feminism," I freak right out.

I don't want people turning me off from Sailor Moon. I saw Sailor Moon the very first day it aired in Canada back in August 1995.

Sep 22, 2017 4:56 PM

Mar 2014
Seiya said:
Probably not much the more I think about it, but you know me, if I hear the word "feminist/feminism," I freak right out.

I don't want people turning me off from Sailor Moon. I saw Sailor Moon the very first day it aired in Canada back in August 1995.
Sailor Moon is a feminist anime

Feminist is a Sailor Moon anime
Nico- said:
Sep 22, 2017 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Seiya said:

Sailor Moon is a feminist anime

Feminist is a Sailor Moon anime

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Lalalalalala!!(runs around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off) I can't hear you!!!

Sep 22, 2017 5:04 PM

Oct 2014
Feminism in anime.. I cant even. Now a days there's Feminism everywhere, so
Sep 22, 2017 5:14 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Rotton-Girl said:

Kay, so to kinda get your head out of that space, really gotta let you in:

Japanese women STILL don't have equal pay. Like very very proven, don't have equal pay. Things are only JUST NOW getting better for Japanese mothers but the MEN have not changed at all. The only reason they are getting rights at all is that they are electing other women... They have to have gender segregated trains because of fear of speaking out when they are sexually assaulted, and just... they don't want to stand out because of the culture of fitting in.

They really do have DIFFERENT problems.

Women only got the right to vote in Japan because of American occupation and rewriting their constitution in the war. Sooo first wave of Japanese feminism is more like... 1960-1970? When women first started appearing in the real workforce and there was literature about... FEMINISM there.

Through the 80's there was a LOT of talk about arranged marriages... which was still very much a "thing" and yeah expectations to get married before 25 and have babies. Then early 90's that really really started to change with changes in laws which granted women more rights in the workforce (mostly just that they were even entitled to enter it in the first place so long as they had no kids). And there was just this entire movement of kinda just not wanting to be JUST a housewife in the 90's but to be able to aspire to more. which is... you know... our 50's-80's...

Which honestly they are still STILL going through those motions... The lack of mother rights in the workforce and lack of change in men are a lot of the reason why the birthrate is going down. Women would rather just work and be alone. "the men of today are alot like men of the previous generation which are much like their own fathers- a man they respect but not a good husband".

Some women are fine with being a housewife. And great. They should do that. But there are women with brilliant minds who shouldn't have that go to waste if they have a passion for something either. And if a man wants to stay home he shouldn't be shamed. I know my man is prob gonna stay home. But it isn't even JUST housewife culture... it is about a lack of real means to be independent.

We really should be proud of any woman who wants to be one of those first women out there in the workforce. A character like Ami though was REALLY indicative of these laws though. Because to even have a boyfriend may have canonballed her chances for a degree... and a career.

Energetic-NovaSep 22, 2017 5:23 PM
Sep 22, 2017 5:38 PM

Mar 2017
Let me end this rage-y thread to say that.

FEMINISM IS CANCER. Saankyu- Desu
OrbitChewySep 22, 2017 6:50 PM
Sep 22, 2017 6:08 PM

Mar 2013
I am sure any feminism inserted into the anime or source material is 90% localization, 10% author's views, and honestly...the author can write whatever they want.

Dubbing does need to respect the work of the anime, as does translating novels.

Honestly, these is the only scenarios I imagine western politics "infesting" anime that go against the author's work, with the closest being editorial requests, which is wholly up to the author and editors to discuss.
Sep 22, 2017 6:16 PM
Sep 2017
milo yiannopoulos- feminsm is CANCER

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Sep 22, 2017 10:53 PM

Apr 2015
Nyu said:

urpoutta said:

I fail to see how that changes anything I said.

How surprising statement from you. Considering it wasn't long time ago you were running your mouth in CE, saying how women actually aren't interested in politics and work but feminism forced them.

And why I shouldn't be tolerant of racists? How can I laugh at them then?
Sep 22, 2017 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeotakuWeeb said:
milo yiannopoulos- feminsm is CANCER

Milo is as cancerous as the third wavers
If you're gonna use a name that criticizes feminism at least use CHS for gods sake
Sep 23, 2017 12:27 AM

Mar 2014
@Nyu

[in the thread about Russia cracking down on "feminist extremists]
It's not gender discrimination if that is life, and how life has always been.
Women not voting was normal, and most women didn't give a damn about voting until Feminists spread their ideas. It's not discrimination if your interests are not being harmed.
[Now]
As consistent as anal leakage
Nico- said:
Sep 23, 2017 12:34 AM
Jun 2015
flannan said:

Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes. This includes seeking to establish educational and professional opportunities for women that are equal to such opportunities for men.

Note how the equality doesn't stop at things that are written in the laws.

National Organization for Women has been lobbying against equal shared parenting for decades, one of the largest feminist organizations in the world. Feminists also were prominent part of the temperance movement, people that were for the prohibition of alcohol. Feminists were also not the original leaders of the suffrage movement, they piggybacked it later. They also have campaigned against the drafting of women, have done nothing to campaign against male circumcision while spending a ton of time on female circumcision which is illegal in western countries. Its obvious that most influential feminists don't care about gender equality. Casual feminists are a shield for real influential feminists to push for gender inequality.

flannan said:

What are western feminists fighting for?
* That women over 25 would not be considered unmarriageable Christmas Cake.
* That marriage is not a reason to quit the job (even if a woman needs to take some time off to give birth to her children). I mean, it might be okay if that's what the woman wants, but it does not have to be a rule.
* That their parents would get off their neck about marrying.
* That Hachiman would be able to realize his dream of marrying a rich girl and becoming a house husband.
* That randomly sexually harassing a guy like harem girls do would be a valid strategy, not a turn-off.
* That both men and women knew when it's a good time to sexually harass somebody they like, and when it's unwanted.
* That succubi in Demi-chan would never be considered guilty even if somebody groped them.
* That anime girls would never have to go "I must not react" when they are groped on the train. At least, unless they want to be groped for some reason.
* That the authorities would not lie about what happened to tentacle-raped schoolgirls in hentai. No, they did not just mysteriously "transferred away".

I could go with anime-related examples for a long time, but I think you got the gist of it.

None of these are real issues relating to gender equality and feminism wouldn't change a thing. Women are more attractive under the age 25 and will have greater success in finding a mate because of that which is why the pestering. The other issues are just collectivism manifesting itself into social issues that affect both genders in various ways. In collectivist nations the nail that sticks out has to be hammered down, its why their justice system is also garbage. Any justice based on social justice and conformity will be injustice for the individual.

flannan said:

You haven't seen Chu Bra, did you?
Anyway, any show that portrays women as flesh-and-blood people, not angels descended from the sky or demons out to destroy mankind, is feminist these days. There are very few of them, actually.

No it isn't, its just different target demographics. Anime generally has eccentric and fantasy based character personalities because its what appeals to their core audiences. Chu Bra is just a comedy about girls going through puberty, its not feminist at all.
Sep 23, 2017 12:37 AM

Jul 2012
Hello. I'm not going to read through the 400+ posts in this thread but I'd like to talk about a Manga I am currently reading which is a good example of feminism. Not 3rd wave but actual feminism about women wanting to work, gets rights and stuff.

Real Clothes is the title of this Manga.

Long story short, main girl has been dating a guy for a long time (9 years) and he wants to get married. That will mean that she has to quit her job and be a housewife and bear his children. His relative suffers an accident and now he has to go back to his hometown so he proposes to her for marriage and asks her to quit her job and move to the countryside with him. She loves her job and she wants to keep doing it. So, it gives a good perspective of how things were like in the past. Now, she's facing the decision of becoming the traditional female vs. doing what she dreams of doing, which is pursuing her career further.

Really nice stuff.

I would like to see more Anime or Manga talk about these things especially when Japan is behind North America in this progressive stuff still.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 4 hours ago

7 by LostSpectre »»
22 seconds ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 2 hours ago

4 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 8 hours ago

15 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 3 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 4 hours ago

12 by Spunkert »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.