Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2017 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
shinsekai yori is pretty well like here and in reddit

and not a lot of negative has been said about the series (beside slow/weird start)

so i just want to hear some negative side about the series
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2017 9:38 AM

Feb 2014
The characters. Except for Saki and Squealer the characters can be pretty flat and uninteresting most of the times. Even Saki was quite annoying at first, but got better as the show progressed. Had it been any other show, I would have given it a low score for that, because if I don't care much about the characters, then you can't get me care about what the plot does to them. But Shinsekai Yori is one of the rare exceptions to the "rule", thanks to its fairly original story and plot, which were good enough to carry the show.
VhailorAug 30, 2017 9:41 AM
Aug 30, 2017 9:42 AM

Sep 2009
Slow and boring. Nothing happens for the first 5 episodes.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 30, 2017 2:27 PM

Apr 2016
It's boring and the queerats thing is silly. The narrative has multiple directions, all of them feel forced and the characters are 1-dimensional ...
(progress 20 out 25)

There are many flaws, I would say that the lack of a clear concept in addition with the slow start are the biggest.

Edit: It's on-hold for ages in my list . . .
Aug 30, 2017 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
Mainly just that it was boring. The plot and characters were interesting but it just felt like it took forever for anything to happen- and by the time it did I just didn't care anymore.

Sep 7, 2017 3:43 PM
Mar 2015
The animation quality plummeted in the later episodes, mainly because A-1 run out of money.
Sep 7, 2017 5:45 PM

Jan 2017
It's a great show, I enjoyed it, gave it a well deserved 9 and loved the storyline and setting but It has some flaws that might hinder people's enjoyment.
The pacing is very slow in the first half. I didn't really mind it because I like the atmosphere of the series.
Some characters are not interesting but it's not a big deal because the show isn't character driven.
Some animation errors.
Sep 8, 2017 1:14 AM

Aug 2014
Chapter 5 have serious animation issue.

I had mixed feelings about same sex romance.

Then one of the flaw is how fast the time skip introduced.
The last arc/story is quite dragging ...
Travel to Tokyo > Ppl died > Finding the truth > Distrust > Wasted time on Antrax Virus > And done just like that.

Love the ending though, it question our morality as human.
Sep 24, 2017 12:12 PM

Oct 2010
Thoughts in spoiler tab below:

spyrocootSep 26, 2017 9:49 AM
Sep 24, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
spyrocoot said:

Damn that was very well-put ,Thanks for the write-up!
Sep 26, 2017 12:26 AM
Sep 2017
Can anyone actually explain how the ending fight makes sense?

Sep 26, 2017 10:04 AM

Oct 2010
gopivot said:
spyrocoot said:

Damn that was very well-put ,Thanks for the write-up!

My pleasure!

Weak_Towels said:

The way I interpreted it was that:

Sep 26, 2017 8:09 PM
Sep 2017
Not a bad way of explaining it if not for Kiroumaura saying in episode 22:
Sep 27, 2017 1:52 PM
May 2017
Weak_Towels said:

One other thing if I may, How the hell did the Robber fly army catch Mamoru and Maria and just when did maria get pregnant? Even if you consider they had a technique they used on their own queen, the anatomy is too different to use that on a human successfully first try and EVEN if they did accomplish that, the visible skull injuries would have been apparent to the ethics committee which should have raised so flags with them.

So with Mamoru and Maria I think what probably happened is that the Robber Fly probably offered them food and shelter and not having much in the way of supplies/other options Mamoru and Maria decided to take them up on the offer at least until they came up with another plan. Remember it's really only Saki and Satoru who really have much of a reason to distrust Squeeler so Mamoru and Maria might not have been suspicious at all. Anyways while they are staying with the Robber Fly, Maria gets pregnant and it probably wasn't soon after the baby was born that they end up being betrayed and their bodies planted someplace where the humans are going to find them.
Sep 27, 2017 1:57 PM

Jan 2014
Swagernator said:
It has gay moments.

that's the best part tho

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 27, 2017 9:09 PM
Sep 2017
originaljack said:
Weak_Towels said:

One other thing if I may, How the hell did the Robber fly army catch Mamoru and Maria and just when did maria get pregnant? Even if you consider they had a technique they used on their own queen, the anatomy is too different to use that on a human successfully first try and EVEN if they did accomplish that, the visible skull injuries would have been apparent to the ethics committee which should have raised so flags with them.

So with Mamoru and Maria I think what probably happened is that the Robber Fly probably offered them food and shelter and not having much in the way of supplies/other options Mamoru and Maria decided to take them up on the offer at least until they came up with another plan. Remember it's really only Saki and Satoru who really have much of a reason to distrust Squeeler so Mamoru and Maria might not have been suspicious at all. Anyways while they are staying with the Robber Fly, Maria gets pregnant and it probably wasn't soon after the baby was born that they end up being betrayed and their bodies planted someplace where the humans are going to find them.

Well said that actually makes sense. Still, it kind of annoys me that we are never shown how the robber flies managed to murder both of them without getting destroyed themselves. I'm also surprised that monster rat that Saki saved didn't speak up seeing as how the one he really owes is her.
Sep 28, 2017 9:51 AM
May 2017
That touches on another issues I have with this series which is we only see things through Saki's perspective. I know it makes sense from a narrative perspective since it means we get information revealed to us at the same time she does but I feel like there was a lot of interesting stuff happening off camera that we never get to see because of that and instead we just hear about it through other characters.
Sep 28, 2017 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
originaljack said:
That touches on another issues I have with this series which is we only see things through Saki's perspective. I know it makes sense from a narrative perspective since it means we get information revealed to us at the same time she does but I feel like there was a lot of interesting stuff happening off camera that we never get to see because of that and instead we just hear about it through other characters.

That's actually a thing that plays in favour of Shinsekai yori because humans fear the unknown. And us, as viewers, also fear what we don't know. It's a perfect and innovative mix of mystery and horror that makes this anime so great.

We COULD have seen what happened to Maria and Mamoru, but the creator decided to not show that. We already know that they must have did horrible things to Maria and Mamoru, but I wouldn't feel as terrified if I saw what actually happened. Leaving it unknown makes my imagination to play that scene in my head. The horrible things that I thought of was what I was the most scared of because imagination has no limit. And when I know it's bad, then I always think of the worst.

That's how I interpreted it. I don't know for the others, but it worked really well with me.
Sep 29, 2017 9:30 PM

Nov 2011
People love to find a weakness of everything.. All series have weaknesses ...
But seriously IMHO, Shinsekai yori is one of the very few nearly 'perfect' animes.. I mean I would say that if anyone can find one or two weaknesses from Shinsekai yori, then one can find more than two weaknesses from Legend of the Galactic Heroes ...

Moreover, what makes Shinsekai yori special is not only from that very few weaknesses, but from it's uniqueness itself.. I can't recall anime that is similar Shinsekai yori.. If you want to find something similar to Shinsekai yori, read some great novel like 1984.. (yeah, maybe Shinsekai yori was influenced by 1984)
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 29, 2017 9:54 PM
Feb 2017
Episode 8 and the slow start.
Nothing else.
Oct 29, 2017 2:24 PM

Oct 2017
I find that the anime community in America is just kinda laughable.

When in ep 11~12 there's yuri kissing each other, the score remains high because it's just two hot girls kissing

And then back in ep8 when Shun and Satoru kissing, most people voted that they absolutely hated that episode despite it's not a bad episode at all, and lots of info is given.

I find that this double standard attitude very disgusting.
I dislike Yuri yet I will still judge each episode fairly and won't give it a negative score just because Yuri exist, but guess it's not the case for most other people.
Guess most people are homophobic, yet they're lying they're not when people ask them.
Typical.
Oct 29, 2017 2:31 PM

Sep 2017
Any flaw aside from the yaoi and the slow start? Maybe it has but not that much.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 14, 2017 12:10 PM

May 2016
fnrliu said:
The animation quality plummeted in the later episodes, mainly because A-1 run out of money.
Your Joking right?
Nov 16, 2017 11:52 AM

Apr 2017
The characters...holy fuck, I wanted to shoot them all
Nov 18, 2017 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
I watch the series when was on airing and have a score of 7.1 because the first ep can be boring ...
Nov 18, 2017 7:57 PM

Sep 2009
It's plain boring for too many episodes.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 25, 2017 10:53 PM

Dec 2009
The greatest flaw for was the characters especially Saki. She did not seem to have any skill, ability, or knowledge to make her special. But the story acted like she did. At no point was she crucial to the story except for giving information in the final battle which she did not think up herself. And if you remove her from earlier scenes that information would not be necessary.

She is basically an exposition fairy that was just told information for unclear reasons so that the viewers would have this information.
Nov 27, 2017 2:05 AM

Apr 2017
it has same sex marriage. Which was, u know, kinda gay.

COME AT ME MAL SJW'S
"Goodbye, everyone. I'll remember you all in therapy." Matou Sakura, Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel
Dec 7, 2017 6:42 AM

Jul 2011
Weak_Towels said:

Exactly.
It is clearly stated that the Akki was responsible for destroying Giant Hornet's army.

So it is the biggest flaw imho

I think scriptwriters just couldn't figured out the proper way the Akki can be destroyed and here we have this silly "solution".

There are lots of other minor flaws in the show (including completely unnecessary yaoi/yuri things) like: undead head of the village, Shun's talking "ghost", guy with double eye-pupils, etc.

But anyway, the show was good enough making me grade it 7/10.

nick_el_sonDec 7, 2017 6:50 AM
Dec 16, 2017 1:01 PM

Nov 2010
gopivot said:
shinsekai yori is pretty well like here and in reddit

and not a lot of negative has been said about the series (beside slow/weird start)

so i just want to hear some negative side about the series

I know you already finished the series.

But for those who still wonder.

My opinion about the bad parts of this anime is only 1: many slow episodes. Not just the start was slow and boring but there were other episodes in the middle which were boring.
Probably because they were giving information about what happens, it was boring to listen. Yet, when the episode follows the unknown, it really thrills, and this what I actually liked about this anime. Overall, I gave it 8/10 as it unique, a great original idea, and it has episodes which keep you thrilled and some episodes which makes you think. =)
The music was actually fitting the anime nicely, but maybe if there was something more memorable, I'd give a higher score...
The graphics also were pretty nice, I enjoyed it personally.
Dec 24, 2017 11:52 AM

Sep 2014
nick_el_son said:
Weak_Towels said:

Exactly.
It is clearly stated that the Akki was responsible for destroying Giant Hornet's army.

So it is the biggest flaw imho

I think scriptwriters just couldn't figured out the proper way the Akki can be destroyed and here we have this silly "solution".

There are lots of other minor flaws in the show (including completely unnecessary yaoi/yuri things) like: undead head of the village, Shun's talking "ghost", guy with double eye-pupils, etc.

But anyway, the show was good enough making me grade it 7/10.

Could you refer when does it implies that Akki destroyed the army? Because this is a complaint that I hear often and honestly I have absolutely no idea where does this come from. I rewatched this show for about 4 or 5 times and never I've seen that Akki actually destroyed the army. What she did was to dissable the opponent enemy so that the enemy receive a harmful handicap which led to its defeat. She did no harm to the army actually.

So I suspect that there might have an error in the sub or in the dub. I don't know why this all started and this is confusing since I have the impression that I watched a different version of the anime.
Feb 7, 2018 12:34 PM
Aug 2016
Biggest flaw ? The "romance".

It's utter garbage.

It was so bad it made me hate a show that I otherwise would have loved.
Mar 3, 2018 7:38 PM

Sep 2008
So I finished it after 6 years from dropping it a long time ago. But yeah, the biggest plot-hole or contradiction is the whole ending of how they won but when we think back on how Giant Hornet army was destroyed.

Maybe the fiend child was blindfolded or impaired in someway but was able to still focus her powers on the army without getting that feedback. I mean, if there had to be some sort of explanation, maybe something like that.
Mar 9, 2018 10:56 AM
Aug 2015
As a Shinsekai Yori huge fan, I would say that.

I think the characters are intentionally bland and not so developped (except Saki), I have no problem with that, Shinsekai Yori is about ideas and themes, the characters shouldn't overshadow the main point.
But the interaction between the characters is really so-so, and I don't feel a strong bond between the main characters.
ESPECIALLY this Saki x Satoru ending. Both characters have never been close to each other in a romantic way, and the way the end up together is extremely forced.

The second would be the inconsistent animation and visuals, but eh, it's acceptable, I still consider the visuals as a solid 7.75+/10 overall, I really love the art style and the mood in this show, especially in the 10 maybe.

Also, there is a major plot hole that I just noticed, check my topic for that.
Apr 3, 2018 8:04 AM
Mar 2018
The major flaw that I found in it was the how the ogre was able to kill the Giant Hornett colony. Also, the information throughout the anime was abruptly given. Till 5th episode it was slow paced and then there was a sudden burst of information.
Nevertheless, Shinsekai yori is a great anime and really makes you think about human societies.

Btw, any fool who thinks that yaoi and yuri scenes are flaws of the anime should just suck their thumb and get lost. Even if one cannot understand homosexuality, the least they can do is respect people's sexuality and choice. Don't judge the anime because of it's gay scene and genuinely critic the anime's plot and characters.
Apr 3, 2018 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
Aishrang said:

Btw, any fool who thinks that yaoi and yuri scenes are flaws of the anime should just suck their thumb and get lost. Even if one cannot understand homosexuality, the least they can do is respect people's sexuality and choice. Don't judge the anime because of it's gay scene and genuinely critic the anime's plot and characters.

yeah i don't really get why so many people didn't like that honestly (other than it feel out of place)

but people also like yuri anime so i don't know
Apr 3, 2018 8:07 PM

Dec 2017
For me it was the fact that the Fiend at the end of the series didn't turn out to be actually Maria and that my hopes of Saki somehow rescuing her old lover and turning her back into a regular human so that they could live happily with one another with the show having a nice happy yuri ending was completely and utterly destroyed with my ship being horrifically sunken in a cold, brutal way with Maria having been murdered off screen in an inconclusive fashion.

That aside though, if I were to criticize the series it would probably be that the last arc involving the retrieval of the ancient bioweapon felt very different in both tone and direction compared to the rest of the series. This could be better or for worse, and while it wasn't necessarily bad it did almost feel like I was watching a completely different series.

Not sure how the majority of people in this thread found the series boring though, I found myself enthralled and so engrossed in the world building and plot the story was laying out.
shikinoutaApr 4, 2018 1:30 AM
Apr 12, 2018 8:51 AM

Sep 2014
Aishrang said:
The major flaw that I found in it was the how the ogre was able to kill the Giant Hornett colony.

The ogre literally never killed any of the colony's soldier though. Where did you take that from?
Apr 23, 2018 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
Messiah destroy Giant Hornet colony is not plot hole at all, please stop talking about that, everyone ...
But I suddenly remember something, why the village wanted to dispose weak children like Mamoru and Reiko ? I forget the reason if it already explained ...
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 9, 2018 2:59 AM
Aug 2015
Jim_Heart said:
Messiah destroy Giant Hornet colony is not plot hole at all, please stop talking about that, everyone ...
But I suddenly remember something, why the village wanted to dispose weak children like Mamoru and Reiko ? I forget the reason if it already explained ...

Because they have the potential of turning into Fiends, such as K.
Aug 9, 2018 6:39 AM

Nov 2011
Weak/not talented children mean they have potential become Fiend ? I can understand bad, wicked and violent child become Fiend, but children with timid personality ? I don't think they have violent nature subconciously either, it looks like they get marked to be disposed just because they are not talented with Cantus.. The same thing with Saki before she awaken his cantus ...
Aug 9, 2018 10:07 PM

Feb 2016
Jim_Heart said:
Weak/not talented children mean they have potential become Fiend ? I can understand bad, wicked and violent child become Fiend, but children with timid personality ? I don't think they have violent nature subconciously either, it looks like they get marked to be disposed just because they are not talented with Cantus.. The same thing with Saki before she awaken his cantus ...

It's because they're unstable that they should be disposed of. Mamoru was a insecure kid that always feared those weird rumors + he also had the notion that he quite didn't fit in, and he refused to have same sex relationship because he had no interest in anyone that isn't Maria (and same sex relationship at their age is kinda obligatory; to release stress and prevent children becoming evil spirits)
llorandoAug 9, 2018 10:11 PM
Aug 10, 2018 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
I am too lazy to rewatching the show.. What about Saki's sister ?
Aug 11, 2018 12:36 PM

Jun 2012
Large amounts what you learn about the world is provided through huge exposition dumps. I think episode 4 and 12 was 80% exposition with characters sitting around and talking the entire time. Also the characters are pretty boring. I think the only ones I actually liked were Saki, Maria and Squealer.

I still thought it was pretty great though. I loved the mystery and the music/artwork did a good job of making an eerie and tense atmosphere.
Aug 14, 2018 11:18 AM

Mar 2018
I think for me it was the art style, which I found ugly and erratic. The character design I especially dislike. I've been recently watching shows like Darling in the Franxx, A Place Further than the Universe, and Violet Evergarden and those shows just look so much better than this one. I understand this show is a bit old, but still a gut reaction of mine.

I still think the story is enough to make up for the bad art, though. What a story.

I... didn't even notice the discrepancy with the ogre/fiend destroying the Hornet army until I started reading posts here... :-P
shazbotianSep 3, 2018 11:11 AM
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Sep 1, 2018 10:07 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah the huge "plot hole" is not really a plot hole.

The dialogue from the subs went out of their way to mention they were disarmed, arrows were completely clean, that the battlefield was purposely cleared of evidence, etc.
Sep 1, 2018 10:34 PM

Jul 2012
The biggest flaw is shilling the dogshit manga on this website.
Oct 8, 2018 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Characters. It's very plot driven despite being a coming-of-age story so the characters take a backseat, especially in the second half. It didn't affect my opinion that much because the story was so good to me and unlike most people who've watched it, I didn't think it meandered almost at all.
Oct 8, 2018 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Jim_Heart said:
People love to find a weakness of everything.. All series have weaknesses ...
But seriously IMHO, Shinsekai yori is one of the very few nearly 'perfect' animes.. I mean I would say that if anyone can find one or two weaknesses from Shinsekai yori, then one can find more than two weaknesses from Legend of the Galactic Heroes ...

Moreover, what makes Shinsekai yori special is not only from that very few weaknesses, but from it's uniqueness itself.. I can't recall anime that is similar Shinsekai yori.. If you want to find something similar to Shinsekai yori, read some great novel like 1984.. (yeah, maybe Shinsekai yori was influenced by 1984)

It's most similar to The Giver by Lois Lowry.
Nov 11, 2018 7:40 PM

Oct 2018
I'm not a hater,I actually really enjoyed watching this anime I'm binge watching and I'm episode 9 right now.
I will probably rate this 10 or 9-8 so don't hate me,but ........

It feels like I'm watching a show about

1.Rats
2.Gay teenagers making out

LOL

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.