Forum Settings
Forums

Drug/s used during the removal of a Wisdom Tooth

New
Aug 16, 2017 2:07 PM

May 2015
I'm just curious, I don't have a wisdom tooth... yet, plus maybe some of the guys and gals that are reading this forum right now might gave them ideas about this one. Because whenever I see a person that just removed his/her wisdom tooth, they're sometime scary or kinda high when they talk or something. Is it because the dentists use a special kind of anesthesia or something that could relieve the pain or it's just a plain anesthesia...only in overdose? Also, are they hallucinating or something?
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Aug 16, 2017 3:21 PM

Jun 2010
The drug that causes the "high" you're referring to is nitrous oxide, though you may know it as "laughing gas". In addition to sedating you, it can also provide pain relief. The advantage of nitrous oxide is that it doesn't require an IV line, in contrast to other procedural sedatives.

Another procedural sedative that isn't used as frequently is ketamine, which can also cause a "high" and potentially, hallucinations and a dissociative state.
Aug 16, 2017 3:30 PM

Mar 2008
I think I was given morphine because I was hooked up to an IV and I felt great before I lost conciousness from being put under.
Sep 4, 2017 10:05 AM
Sep 2017
The anesthetic given before the extraction will not hurt you, even during the extraction you won't feel any pain. Two weeks back, I had my wisdom tooth removed.

Best
Sep 4, 2017 10:10 AM

Apr 2017
yeah man one tried i tried nitrous oxide at the dentist and now im worried about the intake manifold welds every second.
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 4, 2017 10:45 AM

Mar 2017
bruh laughing gas is nutssssssss

feels like your levitating above your body and you can hear elevator music n shit
Sep 5, 2017 2:33 PM
Jan 2015
I'd recommend going under since if you're on laughing gas you can still hear them drilling and cracking out the teeth.

I went under and it wasn't that bad for me.
Sep 5, 2017 9:26 PM

Nov 2014
i guess it depends on who's doing the surgery? for me, they used an oral drug and some laughing gas that knocked me out pretty good. i think the only "weird" thing i did while high was take a selfie and write "blud goth" on it
Sep 5, 2017 10:18 PM

Jun 2016
I was given some sort of opiate pills that made me see four of everything. It might have been ketamine as @Yuna mentioned, but I'm not sure.
Sep 5, 2017 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know what it was, I don't remember. Whatever it was, it was fucking potent and memory wiping.
Sep 6, 2017 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
Can't recall that anything extreme was used. Maybe local Narcosis for the specific Part of my Mouth Cavity at most. But I also recall having been given the Choice of whether I wanted to use Narcosis or not a few Times at the Dentist. I declined and it wasn't any big Deal.

If anything, then having to go to the Dentist is the hardest Part - not out of Fear, but rather out of having to waste Time to go there and partially not being allowed to eat/drink anything for a few Hours after the Visit.
Sep 6, 2017 11:40 AM

Dec 2015
If they go local anesthetic they give you novocaine (that's the cheap numbing agent my shitty dealer cuts my coke with)
Sep 7, 2017 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know what my dentist (and most other dentists in the Nordic countries) used but it was just some liquid injected into my gum through a needle that took a few minutes to kick in but had no effects on my mind and blocked all of the pain in my gums. Sure it feels weird to hear the dentist cracking up your tooth but honestly most people are just used to it where I live, and the only pain I could feel was in my chin from the sheer pressure of my dentist working with my teeth.

So I guess if you feel really nervous about somebody posting a video of you acting weird on youtube you can just fly to Iceland and get a dentist here to take care of your wisdom teeth. :P
Sep 7, 2017 11:11 AM

Oct 2012
I was put under since i was getting other teeth removed for braces. Honestly that shit knocks you out immediately and you wake up almost as suddenly. The experience felt as though i teleported into the other room with my mouth numb and swollen, with a bunch of shit stuffed in my gums. Its kind of an interesting experience. I was also pretty out of it for a good 30 minutes.
Sep 7, 2017 11:29 AM

Jan 2014
Lol I got mine removed in like.. June or July? I wasn't all giggly or anything, they put a mask on me and I was knocked out for the entire thing; the reason for that is because one of the teeth was too close to the bone, so I needed to be unconscious. It just depends on how your teeth are. When I woke up it was just kind of hard to walk. I had to be in bed for that day. I remember the most annoying part was the bleeding the first two days. It was just so much and I constantly needed gauze in my mouth that I couldn't even talk/express what I wanted to say.

Anyway, they gave me like 4 medications (I think), but I only used like 2 or 3. I don't remember the names. I hate anything that pertains to pharmacology, so it just kind of goes in one ear and out the other. This is coming from someone who took a whole year of pharmacology in high school lmao.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Nov 2016
I dunno what they used but it was injected in my jaw nerves like 6 times and it sounded like my palate was being torn apart but it was painless. Then my mouth is numb and slightly opens by itself and it looks weird.
Sep 7, 2017 1:12 PM

May 2013
I was given Valium, knocked me right out.

Definitely answered this question on MAL before, it's a very Mal-esque type of thread hahah >_>

but yeah like I said last time, that was actually my first real drug experience ever.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 7, 2017 1:50 PM

Aug 2009
I think they gave me some morphine. Injected it right into my gums. I was actually conscious during the process and walked home fine by myself.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 7, 2017 5:47 PM

Apr 2011
It seems quite 'American' to completely go under during tooth-removal? I have had six teeth removed in total, all were done with a simple local anesthetic in the gums. It does not affect your general bearing whatsoever.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Sep 8, 2017 3:29 AM

Mar 2017
Bobby2Hands said:
If they go local anesthetic they give you novocaine (that's the cheap numbing agent my shitty dealer cuts my coke with)

Lol, I was trying to remember the name of the drug when I saw your post.

Yeah, my dentist gave me Novocaine when I had a cavity filled. I didn't feel anything : especially in the part that was numbed. Not feeling sensation is very weird. There were no effects apart from local anesthesia.

More topics from this board

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

21 by 707supremacist »»
2 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

315 by Lightskynight »»
4 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Yesterday

15 by 707supremacist »»
6 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

80 by zoeanime13 »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.