Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 9, 2017 12:19 PM

Apr 2011
Surprised he didn't get bored. That girl is a bitch!!

7/10
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jul 9, 2017 1:48 PM

Jun 2017
This was a really nice first episode! The art style is really unique. I wasn't a huge fan of the really long necks, though.
Jul 9, 2017 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
Pure awesomeness, not disappointed!
Jul 9, 2017 2:09 PM

Feb 2014
A strong first episode. =)

The characters are already likeable, especially Sengoku. His skills as a ballroom dancer is unparalleled, But that didn't stop Fujita from being able to master the Box technique, at a cost of his dance shoes though. =P

The art style is very detailed and pretty to look at, despite the long necks the characters have in certain scenes. I'll get used to it quickly. =)

Animation and OST was very good and consistent, whereas the OP and ED songs were both upbeat and relaxing respectively.

As long as the show continues this strong start, then its first cour should be one of the most enjoyable shows in the Summer Season. =D
Jul 9, 2017 2:10 PM

Jan 2017
Great first episode, I actually like the art style. The OP and especially ED are really nice. I'm all hyped to see more!
Jul 9, 2017 2:19 PM

May 2015
ya_hallo said:
Kittens-kun said:

Overreaction much? Jeez.

Nope not at all, his acting felt so lifeless and I'm sure many people agree, I seriously don't see how he auditioned for this and got the part considering he's a complete newbie and doesn't have a single role on his resume. If you think he was actually good that's fine I'm not going to argue against it but to me he's one of the worst and I don't see him improving anytime soon. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

You're the only one I've seen complain about his voice. One is not many.

Jul 9, 2017 2:36 PM

Sep 2016
Kittens-kun said:
ya_hallo said:

Nope not at all, his acting felt so lifeless and I'm sure many people agree, I seriously don't see how he auditioned for this and got the part considering he's a complete newbie and doesn't have a single role on his resume. If you think he was actually good that's fine I'm not going to argue against it but to me he's one of the worst and I don't see him improving anytime soon. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

literally the only thing you post on MAL is whiteknighting every single anime from differing opinion. you really really need to stop that. sad.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 9, 2017 3:02 PM

Sep 2015
Kittens-kun said:

I said I'm sure many people would agree. It was an opinion not a fact. -___-

GangsterCat said:
literally the only thing you post on MAL is whiteknighting every single anime from differing opinion. you really really need to stop that. sad.

quirow said:
Yeah the guy's pretty pathetic.

Seriously. I saw some of his comment and all he does is defend and try to trigger people. He seems like a troll or a crazy mad weeb.
Jul 9, 2017 6:05 PM

May 2015
GangsterCat said:
Kittens-kun said:

All you do is bitch and moan about nothing.

Jul 9, 2017 6:05 PM

May 2015
quirow said:
Kittens-kun said:

I'm not too fond of his acting either so there's 2. =P

GangsterCat said:

You're pathetic.

Jul 9, 2017 6:53 PM

May 2016
Not bad. A bit cliche, but still not bad. The necks and backs are rather creepy though. lol

Meruru_Arls said:

7/10

lmao Damn...

Jul 9, 2017 8:17 PM

Oct 2008
okay! wow! this is a sure keeper!
OP from UNISON SQUARE GARDEN was very nice!
4/5.

Jul 10, 2017 12:05 AM

Apr 2016
In case anyone is wondering what was the background music when Tatara Fujita was introduced to the Ogasawara Dance Studio, it's "The Skaters' Waltz" (aka Les Patineurs) by Émile Waldteufel. It's a song covered by many jazzmen & easy listening composers.

Les Patineurs (waltz)
Jul 10, 2017 12:48 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
That inspirational music is reminiscent of Haikyuu...ah, ofc it's Hayashi Yuuki X) The art style is really pretty, aside from the exaggerated bent/long necks. Probably won't be too hard to get used to though, although it is very noticeable at first glance. I think it was the director, Itazu Yoshimi, who drew the MC and a girl (Shimizu?) dancing, during the drawing panel in AX, but I was definitely thinking "holy hell that neck."

As for the episode itself, it's definitely very shounen. I don't mean that as a negative thing, but that's also exactly what the director and/or producer said they were going for. They said it's not exactly about the ballroom dancing as much as it's about bringing out the shounen feel (can't find the proper word) using ballroom dancing as a medium. Something like that. They definitely succeeded in the introductory episode.

I've heard many good things about the manga, so I'm keeping an open mind. I don't want to expect too much either though. It does seem promising, even if I personally felt that the first episode wasn't all that attention grabbing, aside from good visuals, unique art style, and music. BUT I've felt the same way at first about many of my favorite (manga) series.

Tatara's VA does sound a bit like Yamashita Daiki, but I could tell it wasn't him especially during the more "emotional" parts. He doesn't sound as "exaggerated" as most VAs, and one quick look at his page shows that, yes, he is a rookie. There's room for improvement I guess, he's not bad, but not great either. It's obvious that he doesn't sound like an anime character, which he should.

One last thing, I definitely don't think that it's possible for a complete beginner to have practiced all night without collapsing. He's probably not that physically fit enough to be able to have that much stamina without his muscles screaming at him to stop. You can only rely on adrenaline for so long. Yes people can keep doing things they like without noticing the time and forgetting to eat, but those are usually sedentary activities, such as watching TV, using computer, playing games, drawing, working on a project, etc. But yeah, this also just one small thing that probably doesn't matter after the first episode.
Jul 10, 2017 1:53 AM

Jan 2013
24 episodes, that's great. Lots of character development expected.
Good premiere, pretty formulaic though.
Jul 10, 2017 5:54 AM
Nov 2014
HaarWyvern said:
deafnote said:
These are junior high students? I thought the blue eyed girl was way older for some reason

Anyway, nice first episode. I need more dancing next week though

Shizuku is in her last year in Highschool.
Tatara I can't remember if he is in first or second year.
And Sengoku has 23 years old.

I'm pretty sure both of them are (15 year old) in their last year of middle school not high school.
Jul 10, 2017 8:29 AM

Sep 2013
Good OP and ED!! can't wait to see akagi mako in here XD
Jul 10, 2017 9:24 AM
Nov 2014
Tbh i'm kinda disappointed i was expecting better than this, they changed and cut some scenes, some of theme were among my favorite moments that made me love the manga from the first chapter even more
and the characters looks different compared to manga (Haikyuu designs did it) and somehow they look also older at least for me, but still a good start overall.

Jul 10, 2017 1:35 PM

Aug 2014
This anime really gave me something to work with:an amazing theme,that is dancing,something I did not really see up until now put to series,a likeable lead who despite being a total noob is determined to learn,a realistic teacher,not harsh and not goofy.
I am so hyped for episode 2
Jul 10, 2017 4:03 PM

Jul 2013
tingy said:

One last thing, I definitely don't think that it's possible for a complete beginner to have practiced all night without collapsing. He's probably not that physically fit enough to be able to have that much stamina without his muscles screaming at him to stop. You can only rely on adrenaline for so long. Yes people can keep doing things they like without noticing the time and forgetting to eat, but those are usually sedentary activities, such as watching TV, using computer, playing games, drawing, working on a project, etc. But yeah, this also just one small thing that probably doesn't matter after the first episode.

Yeah the physically fit thing, if the show follows the manga even a bit, would probably get touched on in the future. I was also skeptical when it came to his physical ability to dance for so long. (The anime skipped the part where he pukes after that dancing)
Jul 10, 2017 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
HaarWyvern said:
deafnote said:
These are junior high students? I thought the blue eyed girl was way older for some reason

Anyway, nice first episode. I need more dancing next week though

Shizuku is in her last year in Highschool.
Tatara I can't remember if he is in first or second year.
And Sengoku has 23 years old.

I think they're both in their last of year of middle school and somewhere in the season they should be going to high school.
Jul 10, 2017 4:38 PM
Feb 2015
The first episode was very interesting, OP and ED are very good. Shizuku can be the best girl of this season, she's so cute and brilliant.
I like the chara of this serie, and all pg can be interesting. Music is also good. Probabily one of the most beautiful show of this season =)
Jul 10, 2017 6:04 PM

Jul 2013
Eren78 said:
The first episode was very interesting, OP and ED are very good. Shizuku can be the best girl of this season, she's so cute and brilliant.
I like the chara of this serie, and all pg can be interesting. Music is also good. Probabily one of the most beautiful show of this season =)

could be one of the most beautiful shows if the studio choses to use Haikyuu level animation. On the other hand, ballroom dancing would be pretty difficult to animate, so I hope they won't go down to the YOI level of stick-figure like blob animation.
Jul 10, 2017 6:07 PM
Feb 2016
After seen the first episode of like 10 animes from this season by far this anime is the one i enjoyed the most. Since the amazing caracter design to the beautiful animation and soundtrack. And the main 3 or 4 caracters were very enjoyable to see too.
Jul 10, 2017 10:36 PM
Nov 2016
from baby step then watched this, God... what a stunning art (i mean the heroine).

another long journey to watch more...
Jul 10, 2017 10:41 PM
Jul 2017
The art style is amazing and detail. Exciting to see he develop his dance.
Jul 11, 2017 7:33 AM

Jul 2016
it was a solid start, the characters were likable. Shizuku so damn cute >_<. The animation was pretty detailed, especially with the eyes. I like both OP and ED, it suits with the visuals. A promising show this season. Never thought ballroom would be intense.
Jul 11, 2017 11:55 AM

Jan 2014
Is this a hetero "Yuri off Ice"? LGTM.
Jul 11, 2017 12:22 PM

May 2010
I found parts of it ridiculous tbh. He just got so into it all of a sudden that he practiced all night? like. 3 hours were enough, come on. Sengoku estimated him to last only 20 mins, 3 hours were plenty but nah let's overdramatize 'cause our MC wants to change.
Anyways, tell me when Chinatsu shows up, I just wanna see what kinda personality she has. Shizuku is kinda like Haikyuu's Kiyoko except less poker-faced and more. uh. crude.

The ED song is pure beauty. Love it already.
TragicRomanceJul 11, 2017 12:28 PM
Jul 11, 2017 1:02 PM

Nov 2016
It's amazing , Literally everything is amazing the art the music the story the concept the characters the comedy EVERYTHING IS PRICELESS !!!!!! A great first episode !! , I liked the concept of this story it's really something I just love it <3 <3 and the art is a masterpiece tbh <3 <3 <3 , The characters are brilliant especially Sengoku and Tatatra i really loved them <3 and the expressions of the faces are amazing as well <3 ... Anyways , This anime got like a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttt of potential and I seriously don't know how i'm gonna wait for this weekly like comon ffs :(((((((((((((( , It's one of the best animes this summer for me i really really reallyyyy lovedddd it <3 <3 <3 <3 and I'M SO DAAMN HYPEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD FOR MORE , LOOKING FORWARD !!!!
Jul 11, 2017 3:12 PM
Feb 2015
SkyFullOfStars said:
Eren78 said:

could be one of the most beautiful shows if the studio choses to use Haikyuu level animation. On the other hand, ballroom dancing would be pretty difficult to animate, so I hope they won't go down to the YOI level of stick-figure like blob animation.
We will see, i think that Production I.G will do a great work. The studio Mappa unfortunately have had problems with time to make the episodes of Yuri On Ice. I only hope that Production IG doesn't use a lot of Cg animation
Jul 11, 2017 4:22 PM

Jun 2013
oh shit that was awesome
Jul 11, 2017 4:42 PM

May 2015
ya_hallo said:
Kittens-kun said:

I said I'm sure many people would agree. It was an opinion not a fact. -___-

GangsterCat said:

quirow said:

Seriously. I saw some of his comment and all he does is defend and try to trigger people. He seems like a troll or a crazy mad weeb.

You blocked me? That's hilarious.

Jul 12, 2017 1:04 AM

Mar 2013
So at first I thought this series will be boring cuz' I usually get boring fast seeing some classic dance moves, but thankfully I was wrong. This is a shounen afterall. Kind of scared if It'll turn out as homosexual as Yuri on Ice, but I hope not (I don't read the manga).

I like the unique art style when They start dancing. Like the musics too... So far I will continue watching it.
Jul 12, 2017 1:08 AM

Mar 2013
Interesting first episode. I think I'm gonna follow this anime.

Also, why are people already reviewing this series after seeing only 1 episode
Jul 12, 2017 6:21 AM
Jun 2016
As someone who hasn't read the manga, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.
It looks really interesting, but I sadly can't say the first episode has really drawn me into this series. Oh well, I'll watch a few more episodes when they air to see if I like it or not.
Jul 12, 2017 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Meruru_Arls said:

7/10

Shizuku? Yup, she is. But it's not much of a problem. She's very pretty tho.
Jul 12, 2017 4:22 PM

Apr 2014
i dont know what it is about this anime but i find it a little cringy. maybe it'll grow on me, but i'm surprised that i didn't like this episode that much. i am usually a huge fan of sports(ish) related genres and competitions. my theory is that it's the animation, i found that the bodies move like noodles or something and proportions are a big awkward. i have to say though, i love them lashes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2017 7:26 PM

Oct 2011
Didn't think a ballroom anime would interest me so much; then again I'm a sucker for underdog shounen type stories. Though it's kinda hard to believe how quickly someone who previously had no special interests got to quickly like ballroom dancing, the way it all plays out is nice. The OP and ED were also nice. I like the direction this is headed.
KefkirothJul 12, 2017 8:37 PM
Jul 13, 2017 9:04 AM

Mar 2014
The beginning was kinda boring but the moment that he started practicing the box, it was beautiful! I feel better this morning!

Gonna be awesome if is like that -or better- the rest of the episodes!
Jul 13, 2017 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
Highest hopes for this anime out of all this season. Great episode.
9/10.
Jul 13, 2017 6:37 PM
Aug 2015
I love Ballroom e Youkuso so much, I hope the anime stays this good
Jul 13, 2017 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
<comment about their necks>THEIR NECKS.</comment about their necks>

Great episode. I was getting Haikyuu!! vibes initially, from the OP to the art style to the same music composer, but it's clearly established its own character and will probably be just as fun.
Jul 14, 2017 6:32 AM
Mar 2015
I have only stuck to old shows this year due to a lacklustre season. But now I have something to look forward to. First episode was good and followed the manga well.
Jul 14, 2017 3:08 PM

Mar 2016
well I just rewatched the episode and i have to say I LOOOOOOVE IT SO MUCH
Jul 14, 2017 5:56 PM
Jul 2017
When I signed up for Anime Strike, Amazon gave me the first volume of the manga for free and I read it on a lark. Enjoyed it way more than I should have. Watched the first episode and really enjoyed this too. Best looking show I've seen so far this season (yes, it's a little stylized with the necks and legs, get over it.), and characters that didn't make me want to mute the TV.

This wasn't originally on my personal list of shows to watch this season, but now it's probably the one I'm most excited about seeing more of.
Jul 14, 2017 7:25 PM

Oct 2016
Definitely had a generic feeling sports anime start to it and also had the "Japan making anything look unnecessarily intense for the sake keeping the viewer invested" and I guess "pumped " kinda vibe ( for lack of better phrasing ) at first but I actually enjoyed the episode despite how much me and my friend made fun of it as we were watching. Not crazy about the art style because my god- those necks were so distracting- worse than the Haikyuuu necks which were at least easier to look at. I guess ostrich necks are a stylistic choice? But yeah it looked so weird and will take some getting used to for me but I really liked the main girl. Didn't think I would but she's great. Kinda wish she was the PRIMARY focus character and not the guy we're stuck following for most of the series with her being a secondary protag I guess? Idk. But anyway, great episode. Will most likely watch this anime til the end.
Jul 15, 2017 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
I watched this when I asked my friend to pick an anime this season for me to watch randomly.
And hell, it was fun.
WHy is Reiner Braun running a dance studio? :D
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jul 15, 2017 8:59 AM
Jul 2017
Kotori_Sonoda said:

WHy is Reiner Braun running a dance studio? :D

He reminds me of a young Cid Highwind from FFVII, which makes even less sense.
Jul 16, 2017 12:48 PM

Oct 2015
Quite nice art, and even music.

But there's nothing interesting for me. Young protag finding his passion by means of misunderstandings and mistakes has been done a lot.

Hoping rest of the series has something more in store.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

125 by ThorPalma »»
Jan 1, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.