Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 4, 2017 9:54 AM
Dec 2007
Probably the best first episode for any heroic fantasy show I've seen in the past 5 years or so.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 4, 2017 9:58 AM
Jan 2009
Better to read the LN or manga, this show's pacing is utterly terrible. There are many times the story is working backwards as well as contradicting completely.
Jul 4, 2017 10:43 AM
Jul 2014
I think this pace is ok for an introduction ep and it actually made me read the manga. What they skip is rather some characters development and explanations that can be inserted later, just wait and see.
Jul 4, 2017 10:47 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting first episode though and one that did well to showcase the setting and the main characters.

Interesting start to the series. Hmm the main character is a mecha otaku eh. But despite that Kurata seems to be a pretty good programmer as well. A genius level programmer eh. But man that life of his was ended pretty quickly. Hmm so the beasts in this world look pretty dangerous eh. Hmm so this world features both magic and swordplay then. Hmm mecha's armed with swords and shields eh. To be reborn into a world where the thing that you liked so much in your previous life is real sure is interesting. Hmm Ernesti through his past self sure is motivated to become an knight runner. His capacity for learning both swordsmanship and magic is amazing. So thats how Ernesti met Adeltrud and Archid then. First time i heard cute and suspicious being used in the same sentence though lol.

Well Ernesti sure is motivated and determined in his goal though though maybe a bit inpatient though. I guess even bullying exist in this world sadly. So Dwarves in this world are mechanics then eh. That was a great display of both magic and teamwork though between the three of them. Lol the nickname of Echevalier is a pretty good one for Ernesti. Ernesti's ability at innovation truly is impressive. From elementary school to middle school in such a short time though thats really impressive. So apart from maintaining the current suits the kingdom doesn't have the means or knowledge to make new ones then. Hmm a field exercise to test out the students skills eh. Hmm so the su president Stefania is connected with Adeltrud and Archid eh. She seems to be a nice person though. Ernesti and his friends really made a dramatic entrance in saving the third years though. But it looks like something big has appeared though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2017 10:47 AM

Jul 2015
I read light novel and show is terribly rushed. No proper character introduction, no plot explanation, no world building just instant lets do some magic and build a mech. I will watch next ep but if pace will remain same then drop without second thought.
Sukebe14Jul 4, 2017 10:57 AM
Jul 4, 2017 11:17 AM

Dec 2014
So far I like the world and MC isn't a crybaby/annoying brat (Please for the love of god no more Naotos!). I don't understand the need to make it an Isekai/reincarnation story though. I understand it's what trends atm; but I think they would have been fine with an MC with a great passion for robots and a genius.
Anyway, yes that felt rushed but honestly if it's a one cour series I'd rather jump to the action, like they did with ep1.
I'll eventually read the LN for details if it manages to keep my attention like now ^^
Jul 4, 2017 2:11 PM

Jun 2016
I like fantasy (not really mechs), but everything happened here way too quickly. I think it has potential, but if every episode is this rushed then I don't think it will maintain the score it currently has.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jul 4, 2017 3:28 PM
Oct 2010
I've read the light novel it's great I'll watch the anime as well, it is sort of rushed but I understand them getting that portion out the way quickly.
Jul 4, 2017 4:51 PM

Feb 2009
Pass. This looks highly suspect of suffering the fate of Asura Cryin, tons of uninteresting characters, plot development, and it put me to sleep much faster than the other shows. The mechas are nice to look at, but that's about it for me.
Jul 4, 2017 5:47 PM

Dec 2013
Goddamit, another trap. Shitè
Jul 4, 2017 6:06 PM
Jul 2015
So far this seems pretty good (for the standard seasonal fantasy-mecha-harem-battle anime we always get). My only minor issue is i wish the MC was a little more manly and a little less androgynous. They pretty much created a female character with a female voice actor (thats not really making her voice sound like a man) but just says hes the male gender. I mean even the clothes he wears are different from the others and looks more androgynous than actual male clothing to always make you question his gender. Not saying the lead has to be super manly but i just like it when a character actually feels more like their gender than this.
Also i hope the reincarnation part really does play a part in this so that it is actually relevant. I see a lot of these types of reborn mangas and anime happening more and more and some dont even need that back story cause it really plays no real part in the story. They could have just made it without that. However this so far seems to be using it since the MC did invent a gun like weapon and it could explain his maturity so i like that so far. Anyway still like it so far and will continue to watch the action and story seem fine too for now and im okay with the CGI mechas so far.
Jul 4, 2017 6:46 PM

Apr 2010
flannan said:

aznk93 said:
Why is this an isekai.

Mormegil said:
What was the point of the reincarnation angle? They could have just started with the young boy being obsessed with mecha/knights, really.

Because reincarnation makes more sense, and is more believable, than genius of his caliber just being born.

You really think an otaku from Japan just happening to be reincarnated into a fantasy world where mechs exist is more believable then a prodigy being born?

:thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking:
Jul 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Oct 2014
Why are people calling this generic? Did I miss something? What other anime is out there that is an isekai fantasy mecha series with a trap mecha-otaku MC? Escpacially considering that in the case of the anime, the "school arc" which AFAIK most people totally despise (i.e. the "magic highschool with sword&magic tournements"-trope) was compressed into ca. 3 minutes or so.

So what exactly makes this "generic" again.
Jul 4, 2017 7:42 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, the pacing is very fast, but doesn't feel wrong for some reason. Definitely feels like an introduction
Jul 4, 2017 9:50 PM

Nov 2009
aznk93 said:
flannan said:

Because reincarnation makes more sense, and is more believable, than genius of his caliber just being born.

You really think an otaku from Japan just happening to be reincarnated into a fantasy world where mechs exist is more believable then a prodigy being born?

:thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking: :thonking:

Yeah, I do have an idea what real talented kids are like, and they're not like that at all. The biggest difference is, they don't come with that much passion and ambition - they're just as lazy as ordinary kids. Lala from To Love Ru disassembling a battleship as a prank is realistic, though. (as much as disassembling a battleship is realistic)
They don't come with as much confidence either - the MC's confidence is all about having previous experience in life.

Grey-Zone said:
Why are people calling this generic? Did I miss something? What other anime is out there that is an isekai fantasy mecha series with a trap mecha-otaku MC? Escpacially considering that in the case of the anime, the "school arc" which AFAIK most people totally despise (i.e. the "magic highschool with sword&magic tournements"-trope) was compressed into ca. 3 minutes or so.

So what exactly makes this "generic" again.

It isn't generic. These people are just dumb snobs and can't be bothered to actually think or actually watch.
Jul 4, 2017 11:58 PM

May 2017
Too fast paced for my taste, that make the story feels weird theres no rest, I'll give it 2 more ep, hope they tone it down in next ep. Only love the char design.
livexevilJul 5, 2017 12:04 AM
Jul 5, 2017 12:01 AM

Mar 2012
Decent start, but it feels a bit too "feel-good" to me. Maybe it's the way they went over this episode, but MC just has everything come too easily to him, I think. Hope there will be some real obstacles and not some dumbed down ones like a lot of series involving reincarnating into a less modern world.
Jul 5, 2017 5:13 AM

Jun 2014
Great start. I think the pacing seems good. Though I expect some flashbacks of scenes and world building that happened early in the LN. But for now it seems good.The animation and music fit very well and I love the personality of the main character :^)
Jul 5, 2017 6:18 AM
Dec 2014
Leo_10 said:
Another story about a MC being reincarnated into another world. It's entertaining though.

Ernesti was so cute when she was little.

He is even cuter in manga. Why so porely drawn why so fast whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Jul 5, 2017 9:01 AM

Aug 2015

How I felt this series will be.
Jul 5, 2017 9:23 AM

May 2009
ExperimentAddict said:
I don't know what is worse in this show. The generic setting, the cliche premise or the cancer CGI. Seasonal trash as usual.

"Seasonal" is such fucking retarded buzzword. Why are peple using it?
Jul 5, 2017 9:41 AM
Jul 2014
I read through what currently is out for the manga and wow did they skip quite a bit and there's not a TON more after where the anime is at o.O

At their pace, they won't be able to make more than maybe 2-3 episodes with the amount of content they have atm unless they aren't going to be very strictly based on the manga and wing the story.
Jul 5, 2017 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
I was so caught off guard when Kurata spoke the first time, I couldn't stop laughing. His death was beyond stupid too. Besides that, the rest of the anime seems good. Ernesti is so cute. People bitching about him not being a girl can stuff it. That's your fragile masculinity talking. <3
Jul 5, 2017 12:21 PM

May 2009
ExperimentAddict said:
bastek66 said:

"Seasonal" is such fucking retarded buzzword. Why are peple using it?

Nice info bro. Now you can already say why.

All tv anime was once seasonal.
Jul 5, 2017 1:49 PM
Dec 2014
Like everyone said, the beginning is a bit rushed. For me personally who has not read the manga yet or played the light novel, I enjoyed the first episode. Maybe some don't like the girly/trap mc, but I like him. An arc in one episode? It's done. It worked. I feel I won't be watching this too much for the mecha, but for the characters and the plot as a whole.

"It doesn't follow the manga/visual novel perfectly?!?!" *triggered*

- random person

I don't care. First episode is 7/10. Enjoyment 9/10
I hope this anime gets better, but who knows. There's always an anime every season that bombs at some point, and I hope this won't be one.
Jul 5, 2017 3:28 PM
Apr 2016
Everything felt a bit rushed for me, like we didn't really have any time to connect with any of the characters; it's an interesting idea and story, but I'm not invested in the characters like I should be. I'll watch until episode 3 to see if it changes but if it doesn't I might have to drop it.

Jul 5, 2017 4:48 PM
Dec 2011
his weapon looks soo ugly in the anime hahahaha xD
Jul 5, 2017 4:49 PM

Sep 2011
I was unsure about this show as what I read of the manga adaption was pretty meh, but I really like how they have adapted the initial part of the show. They've removed a lot of the generic LN trope cruft.

As an example of this .. in the first few chapters a rich brat kidnaps the childhood friend and after challenging Archid get's owned. That sort of crap story-line in LN's needs to die. Kidnapping by school students unpunished??? What planet is that?

Jul 5, 2017 11:14 PM

Dec 2007
I actually find the pacing fine once you're given all the information. I guess people missed the part where he clearly spoke out saying he was reincarnated into a girl appearing child body uttering 'robot' while appearing all happy & excited to see those Knights marching in. Also mentions keeping some past memories intact. Died in Japan, yet reincarnated into a fantasy realm as a noble that it was a spirit hop type thing.

His love for robots allowed him to be a girl, or a guy appearing as a girl child in this alternate world so he could find peace, or this latter part I'm assuming.

People say the 9 parts are rushed, yet I can kind of see why with what they've shown. Dump you right into the fun and have fun. I'll stick with this show because I still know what's going on, and it has this fun vibe to it. Looks like there'll be more fun with each passing episode, even if it may or may not be rushed as people claim.

There have been times (many upon many times) where people claimed a show sucked, yet it was entertaining to the last moment. I can't trust people that I must allow my own judgement rule. This show is actually fun, and I'll watch it to the end. It's even with how neat Vanadis was, even with pacing issues. Vanadis was a gem in the rough, and I loved it.
Jul 6, 2017 4:39 AM

Apr 2010
It felt like the anime was a bit rushed compared to the Manga.

There was a lot that wasn't explained in the anime but it is pretty well animated but can tell that they are aiming to adapt a large chunk of the light novel in 12 episodes.
Jul 6, 2017 7:05 AM

May 2009
ExperimentAddict said:
bastek66 said:

All tv anime was once seasonal.

Seasonal trash = Trash of season. You didn't get that?

I'm not calling it 'seasonal trash' because it is from the season. It's seasonal and YES, it's trash. But those things aren't necessarily connected... you fool.

There are worse anime this season, that make K&M look as masterpiece. Imo it's not even bad.
Jul 6, 2017 10:09 AM

Oct 2011
Youjo Senki and Clockwork Planet vibe from the main character
Jul 6, 2017 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
flamedance58 said:
I read through what currently is out for the manga and wow did they skip quite a bit and there's not a TON more after where the anime is at o.O

At their pace, they won't be able to make more than maybe 2-3 episodes with the amount of content they have atm unless they aren't going to be very strictly based on the manga and wing the story.

This series is originally a Light Novel though, so both Anime and Manga are based on that.
Jul 6, 2017 6:31 PM

Mar 2016
I went into the opening episode with no real expectations of this beeing a good anime...but so far I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like the premise characters and action! I thought this would be generic and kind of boring but it's not that at all! In fact this has the potential to be a very good anime! It's a little too soon to jump to any conclusions but I see some success coming for this anime!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 6, 2017 8:33 PM

Jun 2013
Personally I liked the speed of the first episode very much as I had read the start of the manga already and had already gotten some of the exposition there. But did anyone else feel like the show was trying a little too hard at being hype at times?

Jul 7, 2017 3:23 AM

May 2010
anyone who's saying its only a little rushed has clearly not read the source material, hell, even the manga.

they literally burned through like 1/2 or more of the 1st volume of the novel in 1 episode, rewrote how some characters were introduced and completely skipped some scenes that provide character development for the 2 main "side characters"...all for what? so we can see some action by episode 2? fucking silly :v
Jul 7, 2017 12:23 PM

Sep 2015
Things progressed a bit too fast. I felt that if they were only going to spend a minute for any particular time, they should of not have it at all. And instead put it as flashbacks or describe how they met each other through conversation.
And maybe a short quick narration.
this quick development solves nothing but progress the plot, we don't know these characters nor the world.
Once they got the prelude settled, the could of used the first episode to introduce everyone and the world in a more meaningful manner and less of a info dump.

it is alright for now.
Jul 7, 2017 4:53 PM
Jul 2012
Huh, a average guy reincarnated to a different world as a transsexual, rich, Mary Sue.
The basic idea for anime was good, but the MC is horrible.

1/5
Jul 7, 2017 7:58 PM

Oct 2015
Toaster3d said:
Huh, a average guy reincarnated to a different world as a transsexual, rich, Mary Sue.
The basic idea for anime was good, but the MC is horrible.

1/5
why exactly is he horrible? You only pointed out him being a trap and being born with a rich family. It's not a valid argument to just call him outright bad just because of these exterior characteristics lol. Care to explain why he's a horrible MC?
Jul 7, 2017 9:51 PM
Oct 2012
flannan said:

arolust said:
The pacing no, hell no, unforgivable. Why? Just look at the reviews for the first episode and you will understand. People new to this story will find it very difficult to get into, much like the "irregular in magic high school".

Is Mahouka really hard to get into? Sure, the explanations of magic never quite click, but it seemed to be translation problem, not pacing problem.

Its not a well known anime, it didnt really get popular. It wasnt a translation issue, as the light novel did plenty well explaining, its just the anime cut out most of the explanations, and pretty much all of the characters thoughts (which is how the author pretty much built plot for the most part) leaving you with only the broad strokes of things.

I reference it to this new anime because both are light novel adoptions with an amazing (non bitchy) mc, that could have been amazing if for some reason the studio/director/whathaveyou didnt want to cram everything possible into less than half the amount of episodes it needs and deserves.

They could have made an entire AMAZING season or even prequel for this anime with just the stuff they skipped already. But it feels like all we are getting is another cheaply done bandaid anime to help the sales of the light novel or something, and it saddens me.
Jul 8, 2017 1:02 AM

Aug 2011
This has to be one of the worst show's I've seen in a very long time.
Jul 8, 2017 12:24 PM

Aug 2016
First episode was fine. Enough to make me want to keep watching, for now. I've never read the manga or light novel, nor do I want to, so I had no preconceptions coming into this.

What I liked about it:

1. The fantasy mecha designs are great. It's bringing back fond memories of Escaflowne.

2. Overall, the animation quality is solid, and I actually enjoyed the brisk pace (many here are labeling that as a problem, but I disagree).

A couple of problems I had:

1. What is the point of the reincarnation plot? It doesn't seem to add much to the story at all, unless this first episode is smoke and mirrors. Will Japanese otaku not watch a fantasy show unless a character is a shoved into it that is a surrogate for them?

2. Ernesti is a little insufferable. I was rooting for his teacher to turn down his request and yell at him.
Jul 8, 2017 3:14 PM

Jun 2009
I was about to say that it reminded me of Mushoku Tensei, and Shiro no Koukoku Monogatari, but then I did a quick google, and this light novel came out first, in 2010.
Welp. I guess the "neet/otaku is hit by a truck and is reincarnated as a child in a fantasy world with all of his knowledge intact" is a popular genre...
GrimanirJul 9, 2017 4:29 AM
Jul 8, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2010
That was awful. Dropped.
Jul 9, 2017 1:42 AM

Sep 2014
I really enjoyed this, didn't expect much of anything going in and then it blew me away, best show this season by far.
Jul 9, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2015
It's hilarious to watch this as a Finn, since most of the names reference places in Finland. I had a bit of a laughing fit when they mentioned Kankkunen, Finnish for "a hangover".
uh oh!
Jul 9, 2017 2:14 PM

Mar 2014
Came for the trap. Stayed for the plot. 10/10
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 9, 2017 2:47 PM

Feb 2012
Easy to empathize with the protagonist. I didn't notice text stating Ernesti's page prior to him spying on the Silhouette Knights with Baston but I did notice the years so have I got this right?

• Kurata Dies in our modern world
  • Gets reincarnated in the other world in about 1262
  • In 1268, 6 years old witnesses his father saving him from a giant bug using a
  • Silhouette Knight,
  • In 1271, 9 years old in elementary school but transfers to middle school early
  • In 1274, 12 years old, still in middle school

To those who have read the novel, what is the criteria for " High Spell". Am I right to assume Aerothrust and Thundering Gale are but Fireball isn't? Does anyone have a list?

ロボット、それは男のロマンです! Damn right it is!
Fortress_MaximusJul 9, 2017 3:37 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 9, 2017 10:33 PM

Jun 2017
That was awful. Dropped [2]

Seriously though, this show is just so much more terrible than I feel capable of explaining. No aspect of the show works at all and I hated every part of it, from the terrible pacing and exposition to the lack of character to the nonsense world to the terrible CGI to just UGH

Jul 11, 2017 11:29 AM

Feb 2015
Well this series started off whether dark... I suppose such a start is the norm for otherworldly anime these days. It's unfortunate that he was so young, yet so successful and had so many people looking up to him, and to go out like he did is really sad. But damn, why is it always the otakus?

Anyway, I'm not too keen on the whole mech genre, but this series could turn out to surprise me, especially considering how much I love magic in general. I'll definitely keep this series up as long as it doesn't go down the shitter.

4/5
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2017

41 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

58 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:49 AM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

74 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 22, 2023 11:00 PM

Poll: » Knight's & Magic Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

64 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 21, 2023 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.