Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 29, 2018 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
Stepch said:
Is there any news or info about season 2?

That is kind of what I was wanting at the end of the movie. A hint toward Season 2? I do not think the last bit showing Tatsuya with a bloom is enough to count as a hint of season 2, but this series really needs a 2nd season.

I felt like there were plenty of hints throughout the movie for a continuation, but that is coming from an "anime only" fan. They could have just been throwing easter eggs for the LN readers.
"I hate to lose more than I like to win, the only reason I like to win is so I do not have to lose." - Manti Teo
Jan 29, 2018 8:33 PM
Jan 2015
light333 said:

That is kind of what I was wanting at the end of the movie. A hint toward Season 2? I do not think the last bit showing Tatsuya with a bloom is enough to count as a hint of season 2, but this series really needs a 2nd season.
That's not the bloom logo, its the emblem for the new magic engineering course in first high.

I felt like there were plenty of hints throughout the movie for a continuation, but that is coming from an "anime only" fan. They could have just been throwing easter eggs for the LN readers.
No hints of a season 2, which makes sense considering that this story takes place after two arcs where the anime ended(anime ended at vol 7, movie takes place after volume 11.) When we get a s2 will most likely depend on how well the Blu-ray/DVDs sell.
My Queens

Jan 29, 2018 10:21 PM

Aug 2014
-Mahesvara said:
light333 said:

That's not the bloom logo, its the emblem for the new magic engineering course in first high.

No hints of a season 2, which makes sense considering that this story takes place after two arcs where the anime ended(anime ended at vol 7, movie takes place after volume 11.) When we get a s2 will most likely depend on how well the Blu-ray/DVDs sell.

Even it sells good it Madhouse studio were talking about,the reason why this movie seems pretty avg was likely due its under different studio
You know Madhouse is an ass for sequel,
Even if BD/DVD sells it doesn't make any sense why they reject? Or perhaps producer didn't want them to make Onepunch S2.

Well that said we do actually got Overlord season 2.

But that remains us with big question why anime such as NGNL,Btoom,And Mahouka didn't get any sequel despite popularity?
Jan 29, 2018 10:35 PM
Jan 2015
Xaelath said:
-Mahesvara said:

Even it sells good it Madhouse studio were talking about,the reason why this movie seems pretty avg was likely due its under different studio
Even if BD/DVD sells it doesn't make any sense why they reject? Or perhaps producer didn't want them to make Onepunch S2.

But that remains us with big question why anime such as NGNL,Btoom,And Mahouka didn't get any sequel despite popularity?
A 2nd season will likely be done by 8bit if anyone, since they did the movie. Most of the staff who did the anime at madhouse did the movie too, so if they bring them back for a s2, there won't be a huge quality drop.
My Queens

Jan 30, 2018 12:14 AM

Aug 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Xaelath said:

A 2nd season will likely be done by 8bit if anyone, since they did the movie. Most of the staff who did the anime at madhouse did the movie too, so if they bring them back for a s2, there won't be a huge quality drop.

As long there's a sequel dammit.

Why anime god hate us.
Jan 30, 2018 5:47 PM

Jan 2018
Btoom was one of the biggest disasters in BD/DVD sales, probably the reason it didn't get a season 2.
Mahouka on the other hand I believe has good chances, the fact that it is Madhouse won't interfere much since it's not up to Madhouse, the ones who decide about a second season is the commite:
- Aniplex
- Square Enix
- Kadokawa (Ascii Media Works)
- Movic
The biggest problem is Kadokawa since their production budgets are usually limited and for LN promotion, however, they did do the movie, so they probably have interest in the series, especially since it opened up BD/DVD sales pretty well last week with 31k sales.
Feb 1, 2018 6:49 AM

Apr 2016
It was slightly better than I expected for 2/3 of the run but turned out bad regardless. Still much better than the series, downplaying a lot of my major issues with it regarding visuals, music, and the main two siblings, but it's still a lackluster and dumb film that changes its threat halfway for o reason. Least we got to see these guys our of those dreadful uniforms and into a bunch of clothes that are pretty fashionable. 4/10 still way better than the TV anime
Feb 2, 2018 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
That woman in flashback is also an artificial human, that's why they kept showing the flashback.

What's with voice acting, they can do much much better. All the seiyuu are top notch professionals. Why why such paltry acting.

The movie is medicore and for non ln readers half the movie is confusing. They should have showed the prequel. Hope that anime would show it but they skipped. These anime original rarely work if at all. What is the point of this movie, everything about the movie is bad or at best average. Madhouse should have done this they do it right.
removed-userFeb 2, 2018 11:04 PM
Feb 2, 2018 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
This movie was inspired by the storyline from railgun s last arc. Basically same premise I'm surprised they are adding for copyright. It is too similar. I know anime people copy from each other but this ridiculous. The railgun one is a bit more campier but the story is same.
Feb 2, 2018 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Is the movie canon? Because I don't know if Lina can do space elevator thing and if usna satellite crashes down how will Maya and the other sages access the data.
Feb 3, 2018 4:31 AM
Oct 2015
anirudhtsuki said:
Is the movie canon? Because I don't know if Lina can do space elevator thing and if usna satellite crashes down how will Maya and the other sages access the data.

That satellite is not a data satellite, its actually a WMD launcher.
Feb 3, 2018 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
I haven't read the novel. Lina is new, isn't she? Frankly speaking, I don't like the way they introduce the new characters. This definitely needs a prequel or at least a short series introducing the new characters.
Feb 3, 2018 5:11 AM
Jul 2018
Baka_Debakar said:
I haven't read the novel. Lina is new, isn't she? Frankly speaking, I don't like the way they introduce the new characters. This definitely needs a prequel or at least a short series introducing the new characters.
not worth it. Her arc covers three whole books. And each books 3-4 episodes long. The gist of it she's Tatsuya's USNA version. The anime skimped on so many things, it shunt funny for the LN readers
Feb 3, 2018 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
delta123456789 said:
anirudhtsuki said:

are you a ln reader?
Feb 3, 2018 5:14 AM
Oct 2015
anirudhtsuki said:
delta123456789 said:

are you a ln reader?

yes, i am a ln reader.
Feb 3, 2018 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
delta123456789 said:
anirudhtsuki said:
are you a ln reader?

yes, i am a ln reader.
ok. Than makes a bit sense. They should destroyed that sattletlite instead it would make the plot if the ln more chaotic
Feb 3, 2018 5:35 AM

May 2013
Seeing the STARS in the movie was amazing.

I'm not too sure regarding Season 2 because at the very end of the movie they didn't specifically announce it but they did animate something that doesn't have to do with the plot from the movie so... Maybe they're testing the waters?

The LN already sells very well, if the movie Blurays/DVDs sells well then I'm sure we'll see an announcement by Spring or Summer. If not then well there's always the chance they'll pull a Full Metal Panic on us by releasing the next season 7 years after the LN ended (and 13 years after the last season.

All I'm hoping for is that they don't put out an OVA this year or next one. For me whenever I see an anime get an OVA months (or a year) after the last season it tells me that that's it (since they usually bundle that OVA with the Bluray/DVD re-release to get extra sells) but hey that's just me.
Feb 3, 2018 10:53 AM

May 2015
I don’t know man, I wanted to see more action scenes/fights, after all this was a movie... I was a little disappointed.
Feb 3, 2018 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
Since I've read the LNs so even if the movie had some plot coherence issue and some absurd magic powerup, still was pretty enjoyable. Got to see Lina animated with Hikasa Yoko as seiyuu. Lol, scary Onii-sama..... 8/10.
Feb 3, 2018 12:22 PM

Aug 2013
Had to recheck that I didn't miss a whole season between season 1 and this movie.
Feels like it was made for people who read the light novels and not for the anime only watchers.

Besides all that, quality was about as good as the series. Mediocre for a full length movie.
Feb 3, 2018 1:19 PM

Sep 2013
Great and awesome movies, nearly forgot about the omnipotent Onii-sama lol
But sadly I can't give it a full score, the movie itself is great, the main plot is typical, the art and animations style and the bgm input is nearly perfect, all in all it's 8/10, one is deduction from the lack of past plot to connect to the current plot after a long seasons break, it begets more questions and puzzlements rather than entertaining, the other one is due to lack of misaka kokoa eye covered version scenes.
Feb 3, 2018 2:02 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was disappointed in how little interplay and exchange there was between new girl and the main cast. She barely talks to them.

Miyuki blushing and saying oni-sama every 30 seconds still cracks me up.

That look Tatsuya gave Kokoa at the end was a bit weird.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 3, 2018 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
I watched the TV anime in 2015 so seeing Onii-sama being badass again made me quite nostalgic!

Miyuki was as adorable as I remembered her, bonus points now that I recognize VAs, not being able to appreciate Saori Hayami's back then is disappointing.

Pretty enjoyable movie, but for what I read they skipped quite some volumes so some stuff is confusing, like Lina's introduction so I had no idea who she was, it's a shame but I honestly kinda prefer that over a half-assed recap of her character.

Anyways, I had a good time watching it, 6/10 from my part, it was nice to come back to Mahouka for a bit.
Feb 4, 2018 6:01 AM

Apr 2011
Fun movie. But I don't like how they skipped Lina's introduction in the anime and other scenes as well which sucks.

Hoping for a 2nd season soon. Maybe this 2018.
Feb 4, 2018 2:03 PM

Jan 2016
Welp, I enjoyed this more than the anime heheh. Yes, their is still some bullshit here and there but the action was top notch. The characters were enjoyable and the soundtrack was sick!

Solid 7/10, I didn't want a second season tbh but now I wouldn't mind it. This still could have been amazing if it wasn't for weird stuff here and there and it's actually really hard to follow along casually

Feb 6, 2018 2:43 AM
Nov 2013
Hey question for all the LN readers here, I personally was also a LN reader up to the end of the visitor arc. I personally love the whole magic system and world politics that Mahouka built up, so I was so satisfied to see so many LN details and easter eggs sprinkled throughout the movie.

But I'm also a bit nitpicky about details tho so please help me on clarifying some questionable observances that occurred in the movie that may/may not affect LN consistency?

1) I remember in earlier volumes that specified Miyuki's range for her sensory abilities in comparison to Tatsuya's far superior sensory range (due to Elemental Sight), but in the movie it looked like they just made Miyuki use some form of "Sight" to read into the Eidos dimension to detect/identify the enemy submarine before freezing it. I thought Miyuki's sensory abilities to read Eidos was limited to touch and smell? When was she able to use a "Sight" ability like Tatsuya or Mayumi?

2) Getting to see Lina's magic (especially Heavy Metal Burst) animated was very satisfying. However, what was shown in the movie leads to assume that Lina's Brionac wasn't used at all? Brionac was supposed to look like a spear/pole, not a rifle. And Heavy Metal Burst used in conjunction with Brionac is supposed to resemble a plasma "laser beam". Therefore, I have to assume that Lina only used the normal variation of her Heavy Metal Burst, with some rifle-CAD, and not Brionac.
Feb 6, 2018 2:49 PM

Dec 2013
Dull and empty movie for a dull and empty series.

Sasuga onii-sama
4/10
Feb 6, 2018 3:19 PM

Aug 2014
average as hell..
Feb 6, 2018 7:42 PM
Jan 2015
changben said:
Hey question for all the LN readers here, I personally was also a LN reader up to the end of the visitor arc. I personally love the whole magic system and world politics that Mahouka built up, so I was so satisfied to see so many LN details and easter eggs sprinkled throughout the movie.

But I'm also a bit nitpicky about details tho so please help me on clarifying some questionable observances that occurred in the movie that may/may not affect LN consistency?

1) I remember in earlier volumes that specified Miyuki's range for her sensory abilities in comparison to Tatsuya's far superior sensory range (due to Elemental Sight), but in the movie it looked like they just made Miyuki use some form of "Sight" to read into the Eidos dimension to detect/identify the enemy submarine before freezing it. I thought Miyuki's sensory abilities to read Eidos was limited to touch and smell? When was she able to use a "Sight" ability like Tatsuya or Mayumi?

2) Getting to see Lina's magic (especially Heavy Metal Burst) animated was very satisfying. However, what was shown in the movie leads to assume that Lina's Brionac wasn't used at all? Brionac was supposed to look like a spear/pole, not a rifle. And Heavy Metal Burst used in conjunction with Brionac is supposed to resemble a plasma "laser beam". Therefore, I have to assume that Lina only used the normal variation of her Heavy Metal Burst, with some rifle-CAD, and not Brionac.

1)All magicians have the ability to access the information dimension and Miyuki is a first rate talent, so I believe she just expanded her senses in order to sense objects from farther distances. She doesn't have a visual ability like Tatsuya, Mizuki, or Mayumi, but her senses in general are top tier.

2)You are correct, Lina was only using Heavy Metal Burst at a strategic level in the movie, so she didn't need Brionac as that is only for when she needs to use HMB in high risk combat situations and its the only CAD that allows her to use HMB in such a way.
-MahesvaraFeb 6, 2018 7:51 PM
My Queens

Feb 11, 2018 7:50 AM

May 2013
The movie was surprisingly good. Especially compared to the TV anime.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Feb 12, 2018 3:08 PM
Nov 2016
sasuga onii-sama
Feb 16, 2018 7:14 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wow such an amazing movie.
While the story itself was pretty standard as things go i felt that simplicity was its greatest strength. And it was nice seeing Tatsuya and friends decide to embark on the mission to rescue the girls. I also enjoyed the moments within the movie where each of the cast got to shine especially Mayumi's threat to that fighter pilot and Erika's spirited defence against the madman. The inclusion of Lina was a surprise though but i really enjoyed seeing her interaction with Tatsuya and Miyuki. Too bad we won't see her arc in an anime though. Still a well designed movie that had a great story and made great use of its characters that were matched with some excellent combat scenes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2018 9:33 AM

Jan 2012
This movie was way better then i expected

Feb 22, 2018 5:47 PM
Jan 2018
Ainda bem que eu li os mangás antes do filme, caso contrário estaria confuso com os novos personagens aparecerem tão naturalmente dentro do filme. Os Stars são introduzidos num mangá (Me esqueci do nome da série) e no volume 9 da LN
Feb 22, 2018 7:35 PM
Sep 2012
Well, if I didn't know this was done by 8-bit beforehand, I would have been fooled that Madhouse did it. Pretty impressive work that they've done aside from the awkward CG use.
Feb 22, 2018 8:58 PM
Jan 2015
Linkmstr said:
Well, if I didn't know this was done by 8-bit beforehand, I would have been fooled that Madhouse did it. Pretty impressive work that they've done aside from the awkward CG use.
Well it was the same staff who worked on the anime, so the studio change didn't make a difference really.
My Queens

Feb 22, 2018 9:11 PM
Sep 2012
-Mahesvara said:
Linkmstr said:
Well it was the same staff who worked on the anime, so the studio change didn't make a difference really.

Is that so? Interesting.
Feb 26, 2018 1:01 AM

Dec 2014
The movie was actually amazing. the colouring was great, the action was great…story was not complicated making it captivating…really enjoyed it…to think this all happen during the break
Feb 27, 2018 3:46 PM

Apr 2013
Oh... didn't realize i never made a comment even after i watched the film... and now i lost my gifs lol

Mar 1, 2018 5:10 PM

Sep 2016
I enjoyed this movie more than i expected to lol. Art and Animation was great, OST was on point and great. Madhouse basically outsourced this project to 8-bit with the same staff from the TV anime with the 8-bit employees as extra help (now that i look at it now i know why, madhouse was pretty busy last year with projects under the wraps). Movie was good, gotta protec dem lolis bro. Magic system continues to impress me.

Ahhhh god dammit Miyuki x Tatsuya is so cute together. I love their interactions.

Im not gonna lie, that suit and the cloak Tatsuya looked badass asf.

I hope for a Season 2 announcement :D
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 4, 2018 1:36 AM

Dec 2008
Gah..that was worse than the show. Really it was sooo boring, then to have the dude in a suit of armor that was basically how Darth Vader SHOULD have looked, considering Gearge lucas stole the concept from study of samurai...I just...*smfh*
Mar 14, 2018 1:54 AM

Sep 2011
Honestly, that was the most utter trash movie I've ever seen in a long time. The only good thing was the OST and art.
Mar 14, 2018 2:46 AM

Oct 2012
That was honestly terrible, I came in with pretty low expectations because I wasn't a very big fan of the original series and this was much worse. The best part was without a doubt the animation and music but everything else was a huge letdown. Even if I look past the extremely generic plot and want some mindless action I would just be let down some more. There were times where I had hoped the action would at least be fun but nope they either skipped it, talked the entire fight, or just used a crazy amount of stills. I wish I could get my 90 minutes back.
Mar 22, 2018 3:07 PM

Sep 2014
I counted 22 Onii-sama's, who got more? Kinda expected atleast 500.

The movie wasnt as bad as I expected, quite nice actually. But it felt more like something which should have been done in 3 or 4 episodes rather than a movie. Did not feel special enough for it to be a movie and it was kinda out of place.
Also I havent watched the series in years but I would say it looked actually better than the movie. Sooo it had not even that going for it.

But it was kinda nice to have Mahouka back, I still want a second season. Something about this setting is just ridiculous enough to get me interested. Also, first Jesus-kun, then Jesus-kun plus and now darth vader? Keep going Onii sama.

A thing I noticed, Tastuya-sama looks always incredibly displeased when he looks at somebody other than his sister, like, the loli he just saved smiles at him, he gets even more grumpy. Thats kinda hillarious.

PS: Considering it was not the only franchise movie we got at the time, I have to compare it to NGNL and SAO. Definitely way worse than NGNL, but that one was just way to good. But I liked it kinda more than the SAO one, so there is that.
Gave it a 7 just like the series, should have been a six but I have not watched the series in years like I said so I just rate them together, considering it felt like just some additional eps.

Oh yes I should clarify Im an anime only watcher, so I have not read the LN and yeah it was kinda out in the open but whatever, its not like something super important was going on, just that Lina was completely unintroduced. Like, why choose this to be a movie. Just give us the second season. Because Im even more tempted to give it a 6..
Hurr durr but muh madhouse, as we can see with OPM 2 right now, a madhouse anime can get a second season from another studio than madhouse, so.. hope is still there?
Comander-07Mar 22, 2018 3:17 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 23, 2018 1:22 PM

Nov 2011
Exceptionally meh!

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 24, 2018 10:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, this was a mediocre but entertaining watch. Something more of a spin-off and little bit of a sequel, or so it feels like now that I’ve watched the movie.

As expected, the animation and sound department of this show was absolutely brilliant and blended in well with the action scenes and choreographies. However, the story felt a little bland throughout and the Characterization of the show was fairly good. New Characters were introduced and we weren’t given enough backstory to have a feel for them, so that’s a little disappointing. Well, the usual cast itself was fine so no biggies here.
Emphasis on the Storyline here though. Like the tv series, pacing of this show felt odd and rushed towards the end. Had the movie spanned, say about another 15 mins or so, I would assume we would have gotten more details but there’s no helping that. Overall though, it was satisfactory. I wonder what those last 25 s or so of the show was about. Hopefully, it’s hinting for a Season 2 but I wouldn’t place my bets on it. Seriously though, what was it all about?

Storyline/Plot Development: 6/10
Characterization/Character Development: 7.5/10
Art/Animation: 9/10
Sound Department: 8.5/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
=> Overall: 7.25/10
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 26, 2018 2:36 AM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! March 26th? That's the date I'm watching this on. LMAO
Someone is flying in sky.
A blonde haired girl?
Sylvie got booty.
It's the Mahesvara... and he's sipping iced tea?
He's with Miyuki. Dat oppai.
Dat Mizuki oppai. Dat booty.
Miyuki blushing. lol
Dat Erika swimsuit.
lol at Miyuki.
Dat maid oppai. She is fine.
Honoka oppai.
Time to remove the seal.
Destroy an asteroid?
Mayumi.
Honoka oppai in that outfit.
Erika zettai ryouiki.
Erika handling that. lol
Dat Erika close up booty.
There was a kid inside.
How cute. She's scared of the Mahesvara.
She's 14?
Genetically modified?
lol at Kokoa getting scared just because the Mahesvara called her name.
That's a female booty in that suit. Who could it be?
Dat top half booty.
It's Lina.
Bath time!
Is that Kurosawa's naked body? If so... SUGOI!
Dat Erika, Honoka, and Miyuki oppai. Where the fuck are the nipples? WTF!!!!!!!!! You literally drew the oppai like there was suppose to be nipples there.
Holy shit! That was actually Mizuki, not Kurosawa. Dat oppai.
Stop fucking with me. I see that Honoka nipple in the mist.
OH SHIT!!!! YES!!!!! HONOKA NIPPLES!!!!! THANK YOU! LAWD! Honoka got amazing oppai. I see her in a new light now.
Kurosawa got a side booty.
So now Kokoa mentions Mayumi.
LAWD! Dat Kurosawa booty.

Good movie. Even as an anime only watcher, it was good. GARNiDELiA with another good song. When they panned up on Tatsuya in his suit, I thought he was going trick or treating. Seeing Tatsuya during that space scene reminded me of a certain Gundam show. LAWD! I need more Kurosawa. Also, I see Honoka in a new light now. Wish more Mahouka anime would happen, but....
RobMar 26, 2018 3:13 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 31, 2018 2:33 PM

May 2015
I'm not big fan of prequel. It doesn't change after this movie. Watchable and that's all.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 5, 2018 2:39 PM

Apr 2008
It was bad, felt rushed.

I did not read much past visitors arc, but I can only imagine that most people are super confused by how everyone is familiar with Lina.
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 11, 2018 2:32 AM

May 2013
In case nobody is aware, the English subbed BD is now available for pre-order!

Hopefully the sales of the BD will influence an announcement of a second season since the series gets really interesting around Volume 16 from what I hear.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does this movie take place before season 3?

BDJosh23 - Apr 7

8 by nightmare_kt »»
Apr 8, 8:32 PM

» I'm confused: who is fighting who and why and what

PoleLord - Jan 3, 2023

4 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Jan 3, 2023 5:46 PM

» About this and Visitor Arc

Grontan - Aug 28, 2021

5 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 23, 2021 8:13 PM

» Do you need to watch this movie before season 2?

AHomicidalTV - Oct 3, 2020

13 by YukinaHimiragi »»
Jul 3, 2021 11:25 PM

» i wounder how long its going to take for a season 2

audac1ous - Jul 10, 2017

17 by 1ncognit0 »»
Sep 7, 2020 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.