Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2017 7:44 PM

Jan 2017
I've been wanting to make the switch from dub to sub since I've been missing out on some really great anime because I only watch dub. The reason I haven't made the switch is because I hate to have to focus on reading the subtitles and what's happening on screen at the same time. Have any of you done the switch after watching only dub anime for a long time? If so, how was it? Were you able to quickly adapt?
Jun 12, 2017 7:49 PM

May 2015
I used to watch dubs when I was younger (and still do occasionally). I've watched a lot of foreign films back in the day, so when I made the switch from dub to sub, I got used to them pretty quickly...
Jun 12, 2017 7:50 PM
Jun 2017
I do both. It's not to bad. I usually can read it all before it disappears from the screen.
Jun 12, 2017 7:52 PM

Oct 2013
People often say they think it would take long to adapt but for me and most people I've talked to usually say it only takes 3 or 5 episodes depending on what you're watching until you get used to it
Jun 12, 2017 7:54 PM

Aug 2014
Started watching dubbed version of Naruto before switching to subbed after running out of episodes with the dubbed version. Took a few episodes to get use to it, to be able to read the text and watch what is happening. Although it may vary from person to person. Once you have adjusted, its just like having subtitles over something from your own language like a TV show or movie.
Jun 12, 2017 7:54 PM

Apr 2017
I have made the transition from American film to Japanese animation (sub). I think the transition from American film/TV to anime should count as a transition from "dub" to sub. The change in medium is there, but not really relevant to the language comprehension.

It honestly isn't too bad a switch. I read very slowly to begin with, so I expect most people will have an even easier time than I did.

If you have trouble keeping up, just use your pause button more. Then, go back and watch the scene again to get all the visual detail you want. I have used this method without any loss of enjoyment, and I really don't have to use my pause button much anymore.

Another great advantage of subs are the simply gorgeous Japanese voices. Half of the reason I watch anime now is for the voices.

Jun 12, 2017 10:38 PM

Mar 2017
You're gonna have to. You'll get used to it. Not as good an impact as a good dub but you'll keep missing out on a lot of good ones out there.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 12, 2017 10:48 PM
Apr 2016
I used to only watch dub when I was younger, but then after watching Death Note I wanted to watch more anime that dealt with more psychological moments and a lot of really great anime is in sub only, so after being recommended to a few anime that was in sub only I ended up watching them, and after that started watching subbed more.

Now I can tell when a dub anime is bad or not, as oppose to before when I really couldn't tell either way.

I will of course watch dubbed anime every now and then, but it isn't as often as I used to.

Jun 12, 2017 10:51 PM

Jul 2015
i watched naruto in dub when i started watching naruto shippuden there were only 5 dubbed eps released by then....so i had to bring my self to watch subs and now i don't regret that choice but still i will watch dub over sub..
Jun 12, 2017 10:54 PM
Sep 2012
I adapted within a few episodes. You sometimes have to stop and replay a scene but you get used to reading subs really quickly. I also like how subs usually don't hold back on things that aren't PC like in Baka to Test where these characters are called Summer Fags in the subs but Summer Boys in dubs. Subs also makes certain scenes more understandable by giving them more context like the Sempai/Kouhai dynamic.
Jun 12, 2017 11:09 PM

Oct 2015
i watch whatever comes in handy and sounds better. i'll always try the dub and i'm more fond of dubs than subs.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Jun 13, 2017 12:10 AM
Jan 2017
I'm going to switch soon because there are some really good series which haven't been dubbed.
Jun 13, 2017 1:02 AM

Dec 2012
Yukine said:
I've been wanting to make the switch from dub to sub since I've been missing out on some really great anime because I only watch dub. The reason I haven't made the switch is because I hate to have to focus on reading the subtitles and what's happening on screen at the same time. Have any of you done the switch after watching only dub anime for a long time? If so, how was it? Were you able to quickly adapt?

I never chose one or the other in particular, I started with one and then added the other as just another way to watch it. Right now I usually end up watching most things subbed first because I like watching shows as they're simulcasted and dubbing is generally slower. Then, if I like the show enough to buy it, I'll watch it dubbed next. If it's an older show and it has both a dub and sub available, I'd choose dub. It's the same show either way usually, and if it isn't I can just watch the show two different ways and it has more rewatchability.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 13, 2017 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
I watched my first anime dubbed. When I switched to sub it didn't take any getting used to. Just try a few episodes of sub and you should get used to it no problem.
Jun 13, 2017 8:55 AM

Jun 2014
I watch both, but I usually prefer a dub if it exists. Everyone should watch a little of both.

While I usually prefer dubs, sometimes there are rare cases where a dub is bad. Take "Kaitou Joker" for example. I've seen the first 2 seasons subbed, because when I first started watching it, no dub existed. But now, a dub exists of it, which airs on Disney XD in "Asia only." I found a clip of the dub on Youtube, and it was simply horrible. Joker is supposed to be like 13 or something, but in the dub, he sounded like a middle-aged black man. What the hell were they thinking?

Jun 13, 2017 8:57 AM

Sep 2016
If you ONLY do dubs, you will indeed miss out on some great anime. There are a few that have great dubs (Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, FMA: Brotherhood) and some that are tolerable (Kuragehime, Watamote, and Kobayashi's Dragon Maid). The show that "broke" me of always going with the dub if one was present, was Ichigo Mashimaro. The dub was awful, to the point where I almost didn't want to finish the show, then my sister suggested we watch the subbed version instead. WAAAAAY better...

Stick with it, you'll get used to it after a while.
Jun 13, 2017 9:04 AM

Jul 2014
There are literally like only 5 good dubs in anime. And by good, I mean better than subs. Just get better at reading. Eventually you won't even notice you're reading lol. And you'll even learn small tidbits of Japanese here and there.
Jun 13, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2016
I used to watch dub anime too for the first two years because at that time I only had Cartoon Network. After that though it was sub all the way. Except for Hellsing Ultimate and Cowboy Bebop.

I think it's better to watch sub. I'm of the opinion that movies, TV shows and anime should be watched in the original language with subtitles of your choice. Some things just get lost in translation in dubs. Especially in anime set in historical settings or comedy anime. And I really don't like the sub-par dubs which are like 95% of all anime.

And if you are a dub-only person, you'll miss out on a lot great anime. So, don't limit yourself.

Also, there is a pause button to pause the anime and catch up whatever you missed. Use it liberally. The only time I had to pause a LOT was when I started the Monogatari series recently. There's a lot of dialogue and on-screen text that you must pause at those moments and read them. But I never got annoyed by it.
Another reason to switch to sub - Monogatari.
Manyaa_-Jun 13, 2017 9:22 AM
Jun 13, 2017 9:35 AM

May 2017
For me it was very easy to switch because i did it when i was very young (10 years old)
Jun 13, 2017 9:55 AM

Nov 2016
i absolutely cannot watch dubs subbed anime or death
"Before I slit your throat, I'll give you a kiss," Nezumi said softly. "You'll find out exactly how much better I am at giving farewell kisses."
Jun 13, 2017 9:59 AM

Jun 2016
Actually reading the subtitles isn't so hard, when I try to think back at my favourite anime moments (anime which I've watched subbed) I can barely remember any subtitles, I also cant remember them speaking Japanese though...
Jun 13, 2017 10:07 AM

Aug 2012
Watch the Monogatari Series subbed, it will train you to read subs faster.
Jun 13, 2017 10:35 AM

Jun 2016
Idk, but I sincerely can't stand the dubs because the seiyuu are so good and it's like a crime to dubbed their voices. But I find Death Note English dub really good, probably the only English dubbed anime I enjoyed and loved.

MrAwesome2017 said:

I couldn't agree more.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 13, 2017 11:04 AM

Jun 2016
When I got into anime, I watched only dubbed anime, but now I watch it btih subbed and dubbed.

btw, nice username
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jun 13, 2017 11:08 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah I can't help you. I grew up on Godzilla movies (and other eastern films) and our family liked to alternate between subs and dubs. Sometimes we'd put on the English dubs with English Subs and laugh at how they didn't mix up.
Basically, I was raised with subs, so it's natural for me to use both subs and dubs, without problem.
- - - -
MrAwesome2017 said:

Not as fast as The Tatami Galaxy!
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 13, 2017 11:26 AM

Mar 2014
I did it as soon as I was able to read properly

I never looked back after that
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 13, 2017 1:57 PM

Dec 2016
I started watching anime only in dub before I began to find titles that weren't dubbed. It's not a hard switch and I personally adapted quickly. I still watch dub from time to time when I'm too lazy to focus on reading, or if it's a good dub like PSG.

I used to watch dub for the same reason too, but it's actually not that difficult to focus on both at the same time.
Jun 13, 2017 2:07 PM

Oct 2016
I prefer dub but there are many shows which are old and do not have dub or either not likely to get dubbed(most cgdct shows and slice of life stuff).
But I think I'm fine the way things are especially because many new seasonal shows are getting simuldubs so I don't have to worry about missing important stuff.
Primerose003
Jun 13, 2017 5:09 PM

Feb 2014
I recommend finding anime you are interested in that are only subbed or rewatching a fave anime in sub.

I had to make the switch in middle school when on my old anime watching app the one source that had only dubs went down for a while, and since I still wanted to watch anime I watched Elfen Lied in sub. It helped that when the dub site went back up I saw the terrible dub of Elfen Lied. And Higurashi's dub was so god awful I switched to subs, so I could also say to watch anime like that subbed that have terrible voice acting in dub.

Jun 13, 2017 5:25 PM

Apr 2016
I adapted pretty fast, actually I never had something against subs, it was just natural early on for me.
Jun 13, 2017 6:11 PM

Jan 2014
here is a simple answer
do both
you can still watch dubs while watching the subbed only stuff
you will get used to it once you watched several subbed exclusive shows under your belt
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2017 6:56 PM

Nov 2014
Well, by time I was watching dubs for longer than subs. I pretty much started subs 5 years ago (whereas I've been watching dubbed anime by chance on TV for a much longer time). But by number of anime, I've watched more anime subbed than dubbed.

I started watching anime subbed immediately once I started watching it online. It takes a little time, but I was ok with it in a few episodes and was 100% comfortable within a month.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 13, 2017 7:04 PM

Jul 2014
pfft dubs are inferior, haven't encountered a decent one...
Jun 13, 2017 7:07 PM

Jan 2017
You get used to it pretty quickly once you start. Eventually you'll start to pick up on a lot of common Japanese words & phrases which also makes watching the subbed version much easier. Personally, it only took me a few episodes to get used to but I also grew up reading subtitles with my dad since he is partially deaf. Regardless, it shouldn't take too long to get used to. (:

im weeb trash

Jun 13, 2017 7:13 PM

Aug 2016
See the funny thing is Pokemon was my first anime and I watched it dubbed obviously. Aside from that, SAO was my first anime and I watched it dubbed for the most part, since I had to keep going with the sub because the dub wasn't completed yet. Ever since then, I watched my anime in sub because I noticed how the voice actors are better in Japanese. About being focused on reading, trust me on this, 90% of the time you won't even notice you're reading subtitles.
Jun 13, 2017 7:49 PM

Aug 2016
It was difficult at first for me, but eventually, with practice, i was reading subtitles by second nature. ADVICE: Watch something in sub that does not have a huge plot or storyline. A Slice of Life will do. Try watching a show you watched dub in sub. For example, I have ALWAYS watched NGNL in dub, but i rewatched it in sub and it was easy to understand what was going on since I already knew the story.
Jun 13, 2017 7:53 PM

Mar 2017
Idk why you would completely drop dubs. You can simply watch the only subbed shit in Japanese and the rest dubbed.

Jun 13, 2017 10:16 PM

Feb 2015
The switch was abrupt, but my experience watching English subbed movies before made it easy to adapt.

You can take the switch as a chance to be able to read quickly with enough understanding of the context. Progress will be obviously slow when taking your first steps as with every new things you want to try :P

SoL shows may be a good start for this since the dialogues for most aren't as extensive as Monogatari series for example.
Jun 13, 2017 10:26 PM
May 2017
I did that switch back in the beginning of the 2000's when I started to download animes and such.

Don't worry about anything, it's gonna be great, you won't even notice the "reading" thing after some time, it's all great really, it don't get in the way, not a bit.

Jun 13, 2017 10:57 PM

Jan 2013
I can usually make the switch and it doesn't really affect me one way or the other. Case in point, I recently finished watching Tales of Zestiria 2nd season. After the 3rd episode I switched from dub to sub. Just didn't feel like the English voice acting was good enough. Certain lead roles came off as lifeless and dull.

Reading subs doesn't bother me but if I had the choice I'd much rather just hear it in English. You have certain series where reading subs can be a pain in the ass at times. The Monogatari Series is a perfect example. With an Anime where the dialogue comes in large amounts and can be pretty rapid-fire on occasion I've lost count how often I had to rewind to catch all that was said.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2017 10:59 PM

Dec 2015

It's simple: there is no adaptation. You don't "read" subtitles, you see them at the same time as the rest of the screen (unless you're one of those people glued to the monitor). Like you see the writings on the road signs when yoy check,directions: you never actually read the names letter by letter. (it's also the same thing when you read a text: your eyes constantly catch what follows while you think you're reading what lies before)

Sorry if it was unclear, it's hard for me to explain it, even more in a foreign language.

PS: the rare occasions when you will have problems are fansubs (I mean real ones) where the makers decided to perfectly match the japanese voices timing without consideration for their own language. (professional subtitles for examples don't follow dialogues line after line, one at a time; they also don't use the full length of the picture to write)
Jun 13, 2017 11:03 PM

Mar 2017
never watched dubs bcfore but i can say that i think that reading the subtitles is pretty natural and not too stressful. its not that hard. its alomst like reading manga its just part of the screen so you see it all at the same time.

hope you do switch! personlly feel that subs are superior to dubs.
Jun 13, 2017 11:08 PM

Mar 2017
Just make sure the first sub you watch is a great anime or one that you're really interested in. If it's a mediocre anime you'll start hating subs without giving them a second thought.
Jun 14, 2017 12:06 AM

Jan 2017
In starting i hated subs,i wondered how a person can even watch a show in a language he doesnt knows but my problem started when dubbed episodes of naruto shippuden were finished. At that time i only had one choice, to watch subbed episodes. When i first started to watch them i was not able to keep up with the pace of subtitles but i think after 10 or 11 episodes i got used to it. After that i found no difference in dubs and subs. Usually subs are better than dubs.
Jun 14, 2017 12:30 AM

Dec 2016
I don't watch dub because it sucks and sound so bad. So after a few anime i watch i've become so use to it i only need to look at the sub to understand what there saying
Jun 14, 2017 12:41 AM

Sep 2016
i started out watching dubs too on cartoon network like naruto, rave master, etc! I made the change once i found out there were more episodes released online and didn't really mind the subs. I adjusted fairly quickly and I think reading subs helps improve your reading speed anyways (': I only watch subs now just cause I feel that Japanese voicing is a bit better in my opinion in terms of emotions and such? I guess like it depicts the emotional aspect better?? Like fight scene screams or sentimental scenes.. If that makes sense. But yes! I prefer the subs but I guess I didn't watch it for THAT long.. For Naruto I think I made it to around episode ~100 with dubs before switching?

More topics from this board

» Ai Spambots

billybub - 44 minutes ago

13 by billybub »»
2 minutes ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

8 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

16 by Ohayotaku »»
7 minutes ago

» Can you distinguish reality from fiction?

tappioca - May 5

24 by Mishiia »»
12 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

16 by BitChilly »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.