Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most overrated manga you have read?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 17, 2020 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
Death Note.Though back then it was nowhere as overrated as the anime, after reading it I knew there was no reason to bother with the tv version.

It was at that time I became weary of internet promotion and the new methods and masters.

Also 20th Century Boys and Billy Bat.I like the authors other manga,but those two were way overrated and nowhere near masterpiece level

Berserk and One Piece suffer in common that their first arcs were good while later they plunge into mediocrity and it is only the hardcore base that keeps them alive for over 10-15 years.
Nov 18, 2020 8:40 PM

Dec 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba of course cause all my friends won't keep their mouth shut until I read it
Nov 23, 2020 10:15 AM

May 2015
Overlord. I think only someone who really loves isekai could appreciate this because I saw absolutely nothing unique or interesting when reading it.

To You, the Immortal. I seem to remember this dragging on with no real course and my interest dwindling. The art is also quite poor in my opinion.

Solanin. Was this supposed to be powerful? I feel as if I should read it again more closely because it didn't affect me in the slightest way.
Dec 10, 2020 5:40 AM
Oct 2020
There are a lot on the top list that I do not like: JoJo 7 (just disgusts me), FMA:B (do not like the moralizing), Oyasumi Punpun (I just felt bad after it), Vinland Saga (I liked maybe the first half or very much, one of the best, but then it went bad), but the worst would be Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and Akatsuki no Yona. Watashitachi... is this leftist propaganda that every bad person has very understandable reasons for commiting bad acts. The particular case in the manga is totally absurd. A. n. Yona is about a princess on the run who is also the choosen one of a mythological story. Therefore she has a reverse harem of strong fighters with supernatural abilities. But even though they do all the fighting for her and she just gets their support because she is "the dragon" the reader is still made to believe that she is stunning and brave.
Dec 13, 2020 4:53 AM
Jul 2016
Elfen Lied.

The drawing is quite bad. Human proportions are drawn incorrectly.
The plot is interesting at the start but the second half is a mess and illogical. The idea of the story goes from moral ambiguity and racial conflict to "some species are born to be evil and thus must be eradicated". I am glad that the anime does not follow the manga.
Main character is just a plain bland harem guy who exists only because it needs to be a harem manga. The only time he gets spotlight is in the final few chapters.

The anime is quite good though.
Dec 14, 2020 10:18 PM

May 2020
Jojo Part 7 is the one have the hardest time liking. I'm just baffled by how hyped the Jojo fandom is for it. It was the hardest one for me to get through and I read all the parts back-to-back. People treat it like it's one of the best manga's of all time and I personally don't think its good even compared to others in its series.
Dec 14, 2020 10:55 PM

Oct 2020
knowing myself that i can finish long ass mangas in a week or so, im trying to read one piece which is exhausting af. not that i hate it or anything but ill prefer to watch it instead.
Dec 16, 2020 3:54 AM

Aug 2010
The Promised Neverland, huge letdown after Escape arc (1st one). After that it just went downhill.
Dec 17, 2020 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
Black Clover for me. At first, it was underrated since it was an okay story that people did not look at much because of BnHA(It's a so-called rival at the time), but later when many anitubers started praising it like hell, I saw many people praising it as the best new shounen when with ist current arc is not even close to the level of that and can say it is something of the nice read but not in a category of the best shounen.
Dec 17, 2020 3:02 PM

Sep 2020
one piece,

just can't read that, dropped after one chapter

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Dec 18, 2020 8:41 AM
May 2020
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I just never understood the hype behind the series.
Jan 13, 2021 11:59 AM
Nov 2009
Reborn as a slime.
probably one of the laziest things i have read in a long time in practically everything.
*sigh* just a hint of effort would have made that story many times better. With just a sliver of effort put into it.
Jan 15, 2021 4:03 PM

Jul 2011
The most recent coming to my mind is Yakusoku no neverland.
It's popularity is coming from the anime. The manga is falling down in expectations after the middle.
Jan 15, 2021 6:43 PM

Aug 2010
I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year. I feel that the whole story was meaningnless, the only chapter that gave meaning was the last extra chapter where it didn't even involve the main characters.

Last Game. Would have been okay if it was shorter or just a one-shot. Feels really dragged with so many cliches in shoujo. I don't mind generic story and cliches, but I think the manga is overrated.
Jan 16, 2021 11:23 AM

Sep 2020
Tokyo Ghoul. . .

So everybody said that the manga was 10 times better than the anime, but. . . all of those dialogues were unbearable, the fighting scenes were hard to follow and the story wasn't even that diffrent from the anime.
Jan 19, 2021 4:14 PM
Jan 2021
The most overrated manga I’ve read has to be attack on Titan. I’m tired of my friends on discord sucking this manga off.
Jan 23, 2021 8:10 AM
Jan 2021
Attack On Titan
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Berserk
Chainsaw Man
Jujutsu Kaisen
Jan 30, 2021 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't care for goodnight pun pun, it was actually way too depressive than I expected and made me feel like shit
Aug 29, 2021 1:33 AM
Aug 2021
Berser
Tokyo Ghoul
Demon slayer.
Jujutsu kaisen
Chainsaw man
Aug 29, 2021 2:22 AM

Jan 2021
Tonikaku kawaii
kanojo oakarishimasu
Oyasumi punpun
Many other shoujo manga out there
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Aug 29, 2021 2:42 AM

Jun 2020
One Punch Man. Mediocre story(comparable to some normal superhero comic), decent characters overall, art is the only thing which is close to it's MAL rating.

Also, Chainsaw Man. Below average cast, random action, broken plot. Character art can be very repetitive, many side characters look the same. It's a disaster. also the fans who hype tf out of it
Aug 29, 2021 5:16 AM

Aug 2020
Haven't finished reading it yet but Tokyo Ghoul

It could have been great but instead is full of missed opportunities and poor story choices in my opinion, not to mention the incohesive fight scenes, forgettable characters and repetitive ramble dialogue

ใ€Œ ๐•‚๐•–๐•ช ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•™๐•š๐••๐•–๐•ค ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•”๐•–๐•ค ๐• ๐•— ๐••๐•’๐•ฃ๐•œ๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•ค๐•ค, ๐•ค๐•™๐• ๐•จ ๐•ž๐•– ๐•ช๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•ฆ๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•ž ใ€

Aug 29, 2021 6:20 AM

Feb 2021
tokyo revengers, the writing was so plot convenient it made back to the futureII' look like a masterpice, and the main characters is deku if he was useless, i can't understand how people find the "i can't win but i will still fight" to be remotely heroic and not entirely idiotic and useless, but there will be always be a plot device coming to save takemichi so who cares about it, it probably got popular because it has good character design and because its a shounen i guess
Aug 29, 2021 6:29 AM

Mar 2016
I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police ๐Ÿ˜ซ
Aug 29, 2021 11:34 PM
Oct 2015
Daiko said:
There are tons of great manga that do not get the amount of attention they deserve. On the other hand, there are tons of manga that get more attention then they should. What are some overrated manga you have read and why do you think they are so popular?

MY SHIT academia, 1000%

that garbage literally the most mediocre garbage i've ever seen an amalgamation of literally every single shounen anime troupe ever with no originality and on top of that more plot holes than a garlic field. the world building is so horrendously bad, and the large cast they introduced so horrendously wasted, even almost 250+ chapters in we can barely name like 9 or so quirks about the other classes in hero academy, and the story also doesn't dwelve in any of the actual consequences of making heroism a part of the main world like the politics and intricacies like how they even make money in a meaningful way, how did the world even adapt to this quirk vs non quirk thing and the inequality of quirk vs quirkless which was pretty much forgotten for the first part when they just gave the protagonist his powers and just ignored most of the thinking involved in this world and how it works. basically most of the hard to write stuff is just ignored it takes them so long to build an actual setting, by even chapter 200 or so the world building is still worse than other hero series like tiger and bunny that did in only a few episodes and two volumes, its almost like the world is just a urban world with no originality and the quirks are just tacked in without thinking, they also have extremely boring fights and don't do anything to use their powers creatively or set boundaries like NEN from hunter x hunter where most of the qualities of everyones powers is thought of and characters will experiment with how they will effect the environment here its almost never a part of battle, just fucking explosions and garbage.

and also this is not a manga but you guys should check out the web novel "WORM" its a very good super hero series probably one of the best of all time, and let me tell you once you read worm mha is gonna read like some gum stuck at the bottom of a desk. worm literally does everything that mha lacks in every regard.

and don't even get me started on the shitty protagonist like holy shit i've already written essays on why deku is one of the worst protagonists in shounen so i won't do it again.

,the reason its popular is literally carried sorely by the lack of mainstay jump series around its debut 2014-2016 and the animation the anime had season 1, and i can tell the anime is dwindling in audience fast because people are finding the later seasons more and more boring which is fucking good since people finally waking up to how shit this is.

the manga was almost completely unknown in the west and not that popular in japan before the anime, literally powered by raw hype no substance
Aug 29, 2021 11:42 PM
Oct 2015
Zackkhan said:
One punch man,grand blue,kaguya sama,bnha and demon slayer etc

holy based.

how can some one have such good taste. just add jjk to there and you probably got one of the best tastes on this website
Aug 30, 2021 12:39 AM
Aug 2021
Vagabond: Pseudo philosophical and pretentious. Uninteresting characters. Devoid of story. Simple fights.

One piece: Genric. Childish. Simple story yet fillerish. Uninteresting characters. Bad fights.

Houseki no kuni: Boring. Not much happens for the most part.

Many more but these are the ones i find the most overrated. Also Berserk is among my favourites but the way it is worshipped like peak of literature, 2nd coming of jesus, 9.4 score, 65% 10s despite 2nd most popular manga as if its perfect makes it overrated. Berserk is not perfect. Black swordsman sucked. Sea god was absolutely crap. Milenium of falconia empire becomes crap after guts gets on the boat.

I also find norogami (genric, not relatable), blame! (super boring), the world god only knows (unfunny), oyasumi punpun (not that deep) pretty overrated.

Haven't read the manga but gintama (very inconsistent, genric, not that funny), jojo, jjk (boring), monster (johan isn't menacing, not thrilling, not a mindblowing plot) etc. are overrated based on anime.
Kot_SchlyopaAug 30, 2021 12:54 AM
Aug 30, 2021 2:36 AM
May 2020
1. Oyasumi punpun, i heard from most people, looking many people manga recomendation in many platform, all i heard is punpun is amazing. So after looking for extra money and blow it to buy punpun manga, and wait again for the pre-order. And now i finish read punpun, and it is good, but not that amazing. I mean, its feels forced, like punpun is a mid character, he doesn't have that motivation, the bond between him and aiko is not that special in term of "toxic relationship". My 2 recent manga who have same vibe like punpun is better. Blood on the tracks and my dearest self are better.

2. Attack on Titan
I don't know why I buy this, it make me kinda remember, this manga is nothing before anime.
Aug 30, 2021 3:04 AM

May 2020
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu
I cant see the appeal of it and as to why its cute
Aug 30, 2021 4:22 AM
Mar 2017
Neostorm-X said:
Zackkhan said:
One punch man,grand blue,kaguya sama,bnha and demon slayer etc

holy based.

how can some one have such good taste. just add jjk to there and you probably got one of the best tastes on this website
ok jjk,tokyo revenger, chainshaw man and one piece
Aug 30, 2021 7:37 PM
Oct 2015
Zackkhan said:
Neostorm-X said:

holy based.

personally i don't really think one piece is overrated since it was actually good for a while but i agree that the recent chapters suck ass and have been going down in quality.

and also i agree with you on chainsawman,
as much as i enjoyed it, its really not that special its a direct rip off of freesia and dorohedoro, but its pretty entertaining unlike garbage like demon slayer and
boku no pico(hero)

also i notice you started Imawa no Kuni no Alice/alice in borderlands
what did you think about it?
Aug 30, 2021 10:59 PM
Mar 2017
Neostorm-X said:
Zackkhan said:

personally i don't really think one piece is overrated since it was actually good for a while but i agree that the recent chapters suck ass and have been going down in quality.

and also i agree with you on chainsawman,
as much as i enjoyed it, its really not that special its a direct rip off of freesia and dorohedoro, but its pretty entertaining unlike garbage like demon slayer and
boku no pico(hero)

also i notice you started Imawa no Kuni no Alice/alice in borderlands
what did you think about it?
i just started and it take me time to get into any manga,like oyasumi punpun i read first 17 chapters in 2 month and ltr it took me 5-7 days to complete
Sep 7, 2021 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
This thread is Full of people with lower than bottom of the Barrel Taste that literally creates a hole in the Barrel (Someone who knows nothing about Good Character development and How to make a Good Villain and Side Characters)
๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
Sep 7, 2021 10:05 PM

Jun 2009
Future diary

I just didn’t like it very much and I hate the Yandere girl…
Sep 7, 2021 11:19 PM

Mar 2021
One Punch Man and Chainsaw Man are quite overrated.

Sep 7, 2021 11:26 PM

Aug 2020
Bleach, Demon Slayer, Tokyo Revengers and Solo Leveling

Bleach story got worse and worse imo although the score isn't that bad imo but the way people praise it, makes me say it's overrated

I enjoyed Demon Slayer enough to be like a 7/10 but I didn't like the ending and the last arc

Only people that I've seen praise the fuck out of Solo Leveling are people who've only read one manhwa which is Solo Leveling and also fangirls because the mc is 'hot'.
I had a fun time reading it but I find manhwas such as The Horizon, Bastard and Sweet Home a lot better
Tokyo Revengers is good but not enough to deserve 8.7+ score imo
TyraqSep 8, 2021 4:09 AM
Sep 8, 2021 4:06 AM

Jun 2020
The Promised Neverland, I'm a big fan of escape arc (season 1) but after that... ehh...
Goldy Pond arc is pretty good though
Sep 11, 2021 8:52 AM
Sep 2021
One punch man,jjk, chainsaw man, Tokyo revengers,my Hero academia,Hunter x Hunter ,Bleach,Naruto is damn garbage imo
Sep 11, 2021 9:15 AM

Aug 2020
Probably Chi no Wadachi. It wasn't scary at all and the main character was kinda annoying though I don't blame him. His mother had serious issues. It portrayed psychological manipulation very well and that was really interesting.

Sep 13, 2021 12:40 AM

Mar 2021
Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

Sep 13, 2021 3:17 PM
Big-Man Stoic

Mar 2021
kihel said:

I disagree with this. I think that it's a great manga series, with a less than desirable ending. I admit that the fanbase went wild after the anime (fantastic animation), but the core story isn't bad. Purely from a manga perspective, I've laughed pretty hard at those blank expressions made by Zenitsu and the satisfied expressions made by Tanjiro, especially in the last training arc of the manga. Another standout plot point for me was the Thunder Hashira standoff arc (won't give more spoilers here).
Sep 13, 2021 3:19 PM
Big-Man Stoic

Mar 2021
I feel Tenjo Tenge and UQ Holder are both deserving of being titled 'overhyped'. Wasn't exactly thrilled with the story of Eden Zero either.
Sep 13, 2021 5:05 PM

Mar 2021
cynical_tsunami said:
kihel said:

I disagree with this. I think that it's a great manga series, with a less than desirable ending. I admit that the fanbase went wild after the anime (fantastic animation), but the core story isn't bad. Purely from a manga perspective, I've laughed pretty hard at those blank expressions made by Zenitsu and the satisfied expressions made by Tanjiro, especially in the last training arc of the manga. Another standout plot point for me was the Thunder Hashira standoff arc (won't give more spoilers here).

Well, it's a matter of taste, and I don't think you have to agree. Well, if I wasn't Japanese, and had read very few manga books, and hadn't seen that much anime, I might have thought it was great too.

Sep 14, 2021 2:54 AM

Feb 2016
For me, it has to be 'Akuma to Love Song.' While it was intriguing enough at first, the plot became cartoonishly (heh) unrealistic and the characters were revealed to be completely one-dimensional. What really sank it for me, though, was the portrayal of a child rapist as some quasi-superhero with a heart of gold. Just fucking gross...

Long story short: If you like 'Akuma to Love Song," you are probably a sexual predator.
Sep 14, 2021 5:45 AM
Oct 2015
Solo Levelling, Holyland, Claymore, Orange and Onanie Master Kurosawa.
Apr 17, 2022 2:37 AM
Feb 2022
One piece , fairy tail , kimetsu no Yaiba is overrated
Apr 17, 2022 6:55 AM

Feb 2020
Uzumaki. I just don't see the appeal

tysm iva-๐Ÿข๐Ÿ’œ

Apr 23, 2022 3:48 PM
May 2020
Fire punch, intrigued with the story but it became hella skewed rather quickly
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1060 by Ishitateso »»
6 hours ago

» Fav Manga Panel

ChrisBlitz - Apr 13

9 by Zedlin »»
8 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

23 by Zedlin »»
9 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

38 by Zedlin »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

10 by nishant0 »»
9 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.