Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2017 2:30 PM

Sep 2016
Do i need to watch shippuden to watch boruto? i have seen all of the original naruto. but for shipudden ive only seen maybe 60 episodes
Mar 29, 2017 5:22 PM

Dec 2016
Yes. If you don't, you won't know who some of the characters are and you will be wondering how certain characters ended up in certain positions or how they gained their abilities. Shippuden is pretty different from the original series and a lot happens in it.

What's the difference?
Mar 29, 2017 5:24 PM

Jan 2013
Doubt it, restarts like this always introduce everyone accordingly as the story requires.
Mar 29, 2017 5:34 PM

Jan 2013
Avorto said:
Do i need to watch shippuden to watch boruto? i have seen all of the original naruto. but for shipudden ive only seen maybe 60 episodes

It actually might be fun to just start from Boruto and see what happened to the old cast. I'm envious of your position.

Mod Edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonMar 30, 2017 1:06 AM
Mar 29, 2017 6:27 PM

Jan 2015
Avorto said:

I think you should do the anime justice and watch it completely since it's finally finished (unless you read the manga then that would be fine as well) skipping many of the fillers would also save you time :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 29, 2017 6:48 PM

Aug 2011
You don't have to watch Shippuden to watch Boruto. Boruto takes place many years after the events of Naruto where the original Naruto characters are adults now, but that doesn't mean you have to watch Shippuden in order to enjoy Boruto. Boruto is starting right at the ninja academy with completely new concepts and world building from the improvements that the Leaf Village has had over the years. There will be new characters introduced that even fans of Naruto don't even know yet. Boruto is just a standalone sequel.

Although it really is way way more enjoyable to watch Boruto after finishing the whole Naruto series, Shippuden is not a requirement.
Mar 29, 2017 7:06 PM

Feb 2017
I think you should. You will appreciate the jutsu and their side story flashbacks better in boruto
Mar 29, 2017 7:07 PM

Feb 2016
No you don't. Boruto is basically the original Naruto with a new generation of ninjas. There's really nothing from shippudrn that's important enough to know other than

I would recommend watching the boruto movie though.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tag
BrandonMar 30, 2017 1:08 AM
Mar 29, 2017 7:09 PM

Dec 2015
You have to suffer through the infinite fillers like we did pal, you BETTER not be trying to avoid it.

"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 29, 2017 8:05 PM
Feb 2017
Avorto said:

you need to watch shippuden. boruto is probably going to suck and shippuden has the amazing storyline, amazing fights, characters etc. you HAVE to watch shippuden.
Mar 29, 2017 9:46 PM
May 2015
I wouldn't watch it at all. That marrying crap ruined it. I want action not horny dogs.
Mar 29, 2017 9:52 PM

Jul 2013
You technically don't need to. But it's better if you do, as you'll understand characters and more importantly concepts about the world.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 30, 2017 1:10 AM
Mar 30, 2017 4:25 AM
Apr 2013
Gohdhand said:
Yes. If you don't, you won't know who some of the characters are and you will be wondering how certain characters ended up in certain positions or how they gained their abilities. Shippuden is pretty different from the original series and a lot happens in it.

I can say for sure that I wouldn't watch that 10 or so year long series only to get ready for the sequel, that just beats the purpose.

I wasn't following Naruto after the end of the original series either and if I will end up watching this it would be just on a whim. And no, I won't be wondering about whatever has happened before, I'd rather just enjoy this anime for what it is.
Jellyfish-sanMar 30, 2017 4:29 AM
Mar 30, 2017 7:50 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Some story events could be confusing, but so far it just seems to follow the adventures of the next generation...

But you not know about some things like why X character has only one arm. Or why Y character isn't a wanted fugitive anymore... etc.

Well I guess if you never watched Naruto much it wouldn't really matter about that anyway. And no doubt it'll have filler episodes for some flashbacks lol

Mar 30, 2017 8:01 AM

Feb 2015
Since the only things that Boruto has going for it are fan service and franchise milking, I'd say you really need to watch Shippuuden to get anything out of it.
Mar 30, 2017 4:12 PM
Mar 2017
OneNaughtyBear said:
No you don't. Boruto is basically the original Naruto with a new generation of ninjas. There's really nothing from shippudrn that's important enough to know other than

Mar 30, 2017 7:14 PM

Feb 2016
Ashton_Jhonson said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

Ashton_Jhonson said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

Mar 31, 2017 12:13 PM

Dec 2016
Jellyfish-san said:
I can say for sure that I wouldn't watch that 10 or so year long series only to get ready for the sequel, that just beats the purpose.

I wasn't following Naruto after the end of the original series either and if I will end up watching this it would be just on a whim. And no, I won't be wondering about whatever has happened before, I'd rather just enjoy this anime for what it is.

First of all, you don't need to watch the entire Shippuden anime. You could skip all the fillers or just read the manga, which would be much faster than watching all 500 or so episodes. Second of all, that's great for you that you won't be wondering about what happened beforehand, but that is your own personal preference and probably not what the OP thinks. Since he has seen 60 episodes of Shippuden already, I would assume that he has some interest in the events of the series, so watching Boruto without finishing Shippuden would spoil a lot of things and not explain a few things as well.

What's the difference?
Mar 31, 2017 7:58 PM

Jan 2017
Honestly , from so far what I've seen from Manga. Just avoid it altogether and just watch Shippuden.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Apr 1, 2017 10:49 PM
Mar 2013
no you don't I stopped in the middle of the ninja war in the manga because the story is getting BS. (honestly i continued reading it, for the sake, and didn't bother watching it again in anime.
Apr 5, 2017 4:42 AM
Jan 2015
If you don't , you won't be able to enjoy it to the fullest .
For example 1. you won't get why so much of fuss about being a Hokage 2. you must not have jumped out of your chair when you first time saw Boruto's Tenseigan because you just don't know how cool is it . 3. You won't know the importance of Sharingan , Shadow clones and other ninjutsu's . 4. You won't be able to associate the characters of children with their parents because you don't know about their parents .

You can watch Boruto without watching Naruto and Naruto Shippuden but it won't be the same experience .

I think you must watch Naruto ( and skip the fillers and boring Stuff ) . Naruto is itself one of the best anime out their with only drawback being the number of fillers which you can take care of since it's series is over .
you won't regret it .
Believe it (You gonna hear that a lot from Naruto in anime LOL )
Apr 5, 2017 1:23 PM

Sep 2010
Great idea for the series... start up Naruto flashback and we get 700 episodes that can be copied from previous series :)
Apr 6, 2017 10:22 AM

Feb 2013
Avorto said:

I sure you get more value if you did watch Shipudden.

As for the spoilers I am sure someone made a list of all the episodes so you can skip them.
Apr 8, 2017 2:38 AM
Sep 2016
Avorto said:

No need, just go in and have fun, Boruto is completely different from naruto.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 139 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2020

28 by Chfenj_ »»
Jun 7, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 135 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

48 by Chfenj_ »»
Jun 5, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 183 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2021

30 by Tony2Phones »»
Jun 4, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Power comparison

Igris_knight - Jun 3

5 by ezequielatlus »»
Jun 3, 11:43 AM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 181 Discussion

Eoussama - Jan 10, 2021

49 by Tony2Phones »»
Jun 3, 2:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.