Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 29, 2017 9:47 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah, I won't be watching that anytime soon.

But seriously, did they have to "Americanize" everything? Good God, they even changed Light Yagami's name to Light freaking Turner.

"Out of the night that conquers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."

Mar 30, 2017 9:29 AM
Feb 2013
I don't know, I'm a little skeptical about how this will turn out. I'm going to watch it, but I'm not sure how exactly I feel about this adaptation.
Mar 30, 2017 9:57 AM

Jun 2016
This adapatation and the OG Death Note, is like the Hunger games and Battle Royale.

At least they're not stealing it this time
* Silent Antagonist*

Mar 31, 2017 1:49 AM

Sep 2011
Skeptical before the trailer. If the book didn't say Death Note I wouldn't have been able to guess what it was. Apprehensive after watching.
Mar 31, 2017 8:03 PM

Mar 2008
Not stereotypingl but it's hard to imagine a black guy portraying L's behaviour since ive only seen white people and asians move and act the way he does. L always came off ssomewhat autistic from how damn awkward he is and his odd little behviours and I'm aware autism is higher occurrence among whites and asians. If he had a different way of acing it wouldnt matter much but this case it does because it will likely come off like a totally different character. I think Light is a right choice. Not as charming looking as he should be but his looks help highlight his later character development since it looks like he can give off a crazed look. Funny thing is it almost feels like who directed this musta watched other anime shows and a bunch of action films and almost mixed them up.

Scorpi0n said:
Yeah, I won't be watching that anytime soon.

But seriously, did they have to "Americanize" everything? Good God, they even changed Light Yagami's name to Light freaking Turner.

Why would a white guy have an asian name? That would be just stupid.
Mar 31, 2017 9:25 PM

Jun 2016
traed said:

You're probably right. But even small changes like that just takes away the overall atmosphere or "feel" of Death Note.

Just rambling from here: I'm sure the directors are intending to make it more of an action than a psychological or philosophical film, but they're still going to be losing a lot of potential there.

"Out of the night that conquers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."

Apr 1, 2017 9:41 PM

Feb 2015
traed said:

Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Anyway, I'm interested in watching it. I'm not sure how the length will hurt it, or any other given decision the producers might make, but I'll at least watch it.
Apr 2, 2017 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
Only a movie? Not a series? That would be my main complaint right now. Squeezing in all that material into a couple of hours is not smart if a good product is to be made.
Apr 2, 2017 4:56 PM

Feb 2015
Well I think we all know how fucking great this shit will turn out to be! I mean Netflix will do it... What else could go wrong?
Apr 3, 2017 5:53 PM

Mar 2016
Oh well, at the very least they can put some intense moments (like the potato scene) despite not following the actual Death Note anime.
Apr 5, 2017 6:30 PM

Oct 2015
I'll watch it, I actually just watched he new Ghost in the Shell movie and while it's not better than the 1995 film I still enjoyed it. The thing I'm most concerned about the new Death Note is that it looks more action based, one of the thing I like about he anime so much was actually it's slow pacing as it built up tension and it was more psychological that way. I'm also concerned about L because he doesn't look as weird in this version.
Apr 5, 2017 8:07 PM

Jan 2015
gswelcome said:
Only a movie? Not a series? That would be my main complaint right now. Squeezing in all that material into a couple of hours is not smart if a good product is to be made.

Well if you insist, you can put yourself through this one

Apr 5, 2017 8:57 PM

Dec 2014
oh g soooooooo hype!
Apr 5, 2017 9:00 PM

Jan 2017
it will be better than dragon ball revolution at least

Apr 6, 2017 3:37 AM

Jul 2009
Trailer was honestly cringy as hell, but Netflix rocks a solid track record. I'll honestly give this a chance.
Apr 6, 2017 9:20 AM

Nov 2015
shit , is this the new death note movie about 6 death notes that they announced about it at the end of Death Note 2015 drama ? why America took it ?
and why these cheer leeders and that kiss ?
Apr 6, 2017 10:28 AM

Apr 2011
Nou-Tan said:
shit , is this the new death note movie about 6 death notes that they announced about it at the end of Death Note 2015 drama ? why America took it ?
and why these cheer leeders and that kiss ?

No, that one came out last year. Light up the New World. Came out October 29, will probably take a while for subs to come out.
Apr 7, 2017 4:55 AM

Dec 2011
Well it seems right off the bat they already ruined L's character, and I don't mean the colour of his skin. As yhunata put it this just seems like another lazy and inept cash-in on the Death Note name that will have little to do with the source material.
Apr 7, 2017 7:13 PM

Jan 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
it will be better than dragon ball revolution at least

Just by existing it will be better than such a tragic abomination.
Apr 7, 2017 8:51 PM

Apr 2011
Can I just mention something. This is BL giving a public speech, yes?

See how he's covering almost all his face? Yeah, a person with the Shinigami Eyes can see his name.
Apr 7, 2017 9:05 PM

Feb 2017
I cant wait until this movie is released so I can come back to this thread and flame all the idiots who are being judgmental retards because Netflix didn't decide to pander to all you socially inept weaboos who think an Asian casting would have been good here. Foh.
Jun 5, 2017 5:21 PM

Jun 2016
L will sing this instead of doing his job in this movie

Seriously, wtf, Ryuk will be awesome though, Willem Dafoe is best person that can play/voice Ryuk that I can think of. I will watch it just to see Ryuk.

I don't have problem with white cast if they "americanized" it, but it seems like characters are fucked up. Light looks like emo weaboo. L is played by black athletic looking rapper. He's supposed to look weak and pale cause he spends a lot of his time indoors. This L looks like he's straight outta Watchdogs. He's like complete opposite of L looks-wise. It's like casting Morgan Freeman as Near. Making Light black would've been better if they wanted black main character so badly. Imo, Ezra Miller would've made really good L.

Plus Death Note looks like it was chewed on by stray dogs. Its flawless appearance gave supernatural vibes, but movie one looks like something out of pirate treasure chest. I can already tell it won't be better than 4/10.

Next step: Cast Will Smith as Alucard in Netflix Hellsing.
Jun 5, 2017 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
still, whenever I think about the fact that they renamed him "Light Turner", this immediately comes to mind
Jun 5, 2017 10:11 PM

Mar 2017
I'm going to vomit. Light is meant to attractive to the point where he uses it to manipulate people, not look like a fucking school shooter in the making.
Jun 6, 2017 12:47 AM

Jul 2015
L is not black enough, they should have give role to him:
Sukebe14Jun 6, 2017 1:25 AM
Jun 6, 2017 1:13 AM

Mar 2014
yhunata said:

See how he's covering almost all his face? Yeah, a person with the Shinigami Eyes can see his name.
Lmao fucking amateurs

Can't wait for this movie to be shat on by fans and critics alike
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 6, 2017 1:18 AM

Jun 2016
Comic_Sans said:
yhunata said:

Lmao fucking amateurs

Can't wait for this movie to be shat on by fans and critics alike

Indeed, i'm gonna fuck up its IMDB rating alongside fellow anti-shitmovie people as soon as it comes out. Even if it's 3/10 (thanks to Ryuk), i'll still give 1/10 to drop its rating. Smells like dragon balls.

I can't wait to see L washing Light's feet in this movie. hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.
Jun 6, 2017 1:43 AM

Jul 2016
Why is L black? It's like they only turn these Asian productions into Western ones, just so they can force "Diversity" into everything.
Jun 7, 2017 3:06 AM

Nov 2016
I think I won't bother watching it. I really like Death Note, but this? It hurts my eyes to see even the trailer.
Light is supposed to be looking smart, charming and handsome, not a regular high school nerd who doesn't come close to charm.
About L, hell, they made him black, really? Do they want to change the plot that much that the fans won't recognize it or what? They could have added black person there like anyone from the japanese police, but not L.
Ryuk sounds good, I guess, at least someone.
In my opinion the main characters should look similar to the description, so the original story can be shown.
Jun 22, 2017 9:00 PM

Dec 2008
cheesus. i really prefer the original death note so no ; ;
Jun 22, 2017 10:18 PM

Nov 2012
Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is the perfect casting. Everything else it looks like they fucked up.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jun 23, 2017 4:07 AM

Jun 2016
Ugh. Months later, this trailer still pisses me off. The only good thing about this is Willem Dafoe as Ryuk.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 2, 2017 7:35 PM
Jul 2017
Guys, please all read what is ADAPTION.
Ye, 100% we can know that it will be different DN.
We love L sitting in dark room and his face brightened by the screen of laptop.
We love L calm and quiet antisocial, here he shouts, going to people etc.
Look of L in anime was the big + to like him, good design is important. Changed design will be not good... Now we will not even see his face in dark room for example. It will be without Climate as in the anime. But still curious.

If i would be experienced, great and american film-maker i would hire asian actors from america. America has really many asia-looking actors and make it in climate of original series. People are curious just by that they saw anime which is known in all the world :)

Cheers
rezzer69Jul 2, 2017 7:41 PM
Jul 14, 2017 8:22 AM

Aug 2014
i wouldnt have a problem if they used the same concept and just changed the characters and moved it to 2017 america
but no, they kept the characters and jsut fucked up their characterisation and what really makes death note so incredible?
the characters dont act like what they should be like??
Idk Light looks less popular/smart guy and more social outcast emo kid, which is like the foundation for the fact that he thought he was god
Ryuk is good, but he kinda pushes Light to write in the book which is weird bc its supposed to be light who does it himself
why does light want to risk his life for misa?
Looks like a lot of action and 0 mind games.
Not to mention the whole white washing issue
It looks like a shit show lmao i hope it flops
Xtina is my mother!
Jul 14, 2017 8:24 AM

Aug 2014
Red_Keys said:
Light is supposed to be fucking gorgeous, unassuming, charismatic, valedictorian pretty-boy perfection. Not a greasy unkempt hair socially detached bullied looking outcast.

EXACTLY. And thats what made him become who he was. He literally thought he was above everyone already and thru the book it developed into a dangerous god complex. He literally looks like an emo kid who has 0 friends in this.
Xtina is my mother!
Jul 14, 2017 9:40 PM

Oct 2016
Even as an Asian, I don't mind the white/black American actors... my problem is with how cheap it looks.. except Ryuk. I hope I'm wrong cause this was a really good anime. As a huge fan, I want other people who know nothing about it to love it. This is not Netflix quality - at least judgin by the trailers.
Jul 16, 2017 7:50 AM

Oct 2011
What duh fuk? L isn't being played by Chris Rock? DROPPED
Jul 16, 2017 8:08 AM

Oct 2014
abelkoontz said:
Red_Keys said:
Light is supposed to be fucking gorgeous, unassuming, charismatic, valedictorian pretty-boy perfection. Not a greasy unkempt hair socially detached bullied looking outcast.

EXACTLY. And thats what made him become who he was. He literally thought he was above everyone already and thru the book it developed into a dangerous god complex. He literally looks like an emo kid who has 0 friends in this.

To be fair, the two Japanese live-action adaptions didn't get this right either.

PetitePanda said:
Even as an Asian, I don't mind the white/black American actors... my problem is with how cheap it looks.. except Ryuk. I hope I'm wrong cause this was a really good anime. As a huge fan, I want other people who know nothing about it to love it. This is not Netflix quality - at least judgin by the trailers.

Not a good sign for the upcoming "the witcher" on netflix.
Jul 19, 2017 8:52 PM

Oct 2015
I looks like it could be okay as it's own thing but it looks too action heavy for fans of the anime to properly enjoy it as the anime was most interesting when it was psychological. Also I don't like how Light doesn't seem to be as much of a psychopath in this version and how the ormance looks to be two sided.

My mom actually liked the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie (she didn't see the show) I despised the thing and told her that the problem was that they tried to put over 20 episodes into one movie.

I also when out with my family to to see Ghost in the Shell for my birthday and my mom and Sister who hadn't seen the anime found the movie alright and they aren't the biggest scifi fans apart from things like Star Wars, Star Trek and Guardians of the Galaxy. I did like the Ghost in the Shell movie with Scarlett Johansson but the original anime was better by far.

I guess this is how some comic book fans feel when there comics are adapted into movies even if it is considered a good movie.

Jul 19, 2017 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Will I hope it's going good.
Jul 20, 2017 7:12 AM

Mar 2014
A new, official poster is out

Guess what... it looks BAD!
How the fuck did Netflix arrive to the conclusion that turning Light into a troll looking school shooter was a good idea?

Can't wait for this movie to flop hard
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 20, 2017 7:13 AM

Jan 2017
It's pathetic tbh
The anime is far better!
Netflix has run out of ideas, it seems

Comic_Sans said:

He looks like a desperate psychopath tbh
Light doesn't even look/act like that.

Comic_Sans said:
How the fuck did Netflix arrive to the conclusion that turning Light into a troll looking school shooter was a good idea?

lol

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jul 20, 2017 7:15 AM

Apr 2011
Comic_Sans said:

This physically hurts me.
Jul 20, 2017 8:03 AM

Feb 2014
the only problem i see with it being america is that other characters in death note are already in america (near, mello) so it doesn't make sense. specific events only happen in america and the investigators on the kira case are called "the japanese taskforce" so....it'll be awkward.

Jul 20, 2017 8:09 AM

Feb 2014
Comic_Sans said:

u would think that at the very least if they were gonna fuck up the plot and how the death note universe works they would at least make it look pretty. but no. we can't even get that.

Jul 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Apr 2011
Even more fuck ups, right here;

Ryuk is literally egging Light on. What the bloody fuck? Did any of these motherfuckers even look at the bloody manga?
Jul 21, 2017 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
yhunata said:
Even more fuck ups, right here;

Ryuk is literally egging Light on. What the bloody fuck? Did any of these motherfuckers even look at the bloody manga?

That was hilarious, feels like Light is almost a victim here lol. At this point it isn't even an adaptation, they should have just changed the names tbh.
Jul 26, 2017 3:01 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I don't want to dismiss this adaptation altogether, but I am actually all for hiring Asian American actors whenever one can. The amount of jobs they get compared to... well, white actors is incredibly low. Last time I looked, a majority of roles went to white actors. I'm talking like 79% vs. 4% of roles (depending on the medium but it's about the same for television and film), and the rest were other groups.

Blacks are after whites when it comes to the amount of roles, but again, it's like 79% vs. 9% (again, slightly different percentage for television and film, but maybe like a one or two percent change) of roles. Asian Americans can hardly get roles in works that have nothing to do with Asia; I just feel like they could at least give them more roles/leading roles in something that was Japanese. But even here, nope. But why? It's not like Americans can't relate to or like Asian characters. Look at how many of us are American and watch anime with Japanese characters in Japanese settings. We're fine.

It just sucks because I have so many friends struggling as Asian American actors, and they're good! The industry just doesn't want to trust going with minorities and just want to stick to the tried and true "white sells as default". BUT studies have shown that diversity actually sells more. And some people argue that they'll use a well-known white actor to sell (this was the argument for Ghost in a Shell), but who even is the guy playing Light?!

This adaptation could be good and I wouldn't ever say it's automatically bad because they hired a white actor for the lead role. Also, who knows, maybe he's part Asian. I do think it's important to start looking at what's happening in the industry though and keep those statistics in mind. Saying something like, "Well it's an American adaptation, so of course they're going to get American actors" is pretty much saying that an American actor who just happens to be Asian is not American-- or not American enough... (or "Western")

In the case of L, I'd like to share a quote:
"When asked about L's ethnicity, Ohba responded saying 'I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian, a quarter French or Italian, like that'."
So unlike Light, L has room to be a lot of skin colors. In today's world, there are many blacks who are English, Russian, and French. An interpretation of L as black is not unfounded and is not outside the realm of possibility. However, Light has never been described as anything but Japanese.

Anyway, I don't expect one show or movie to change the entire industry's approach to "diversity"; I'd even call that naive. I don't really care about "keeping true to the original". I just care about possible jobs. The dude playing Light will always be able to find roles, but for Asian Americans, this was one of their very few chances to say, "It's Asian media so maybe I have a better chance". This adaptation even takes place in Seattle, where it wouldn't have been odd to have a Japanese American doing his thing. They easily could have done it, they just wanted to have a white actor. And you know what that's fine, but like I said, it's good to bring this to the table since we're already here.

This is "based" on Death Note. It isn't exactly the original Death Note. They chose to make some things like the original and definitely could have went to cast more with the original in mind, but they didn't. That's their choice. I kinda post all this not for the benefit of Asian American actors and the American entertainment industry. Maybe someone here will become a creator, think of this, and decide to hire an Asian American actor for their work meant to be enjoyed by a Western audience... and hopefully they stop seeing it as something which will lose them money when studies show that it should gain them money.

We need to get away from the idea that an American audience will not relate to an American actor (who happens to be of Asian descent). Like straight up, in casting lineups, minorities are branded as "exotic". We're American. We've been here forever. We're not foreigners. Please cast us. We need money. lol

TL;DR: It's fine they chose a white actor, it's their choice, but just remember that Asian American actors (and minorities in general) get such a small amount of roles already.
No need boycotting stuff now, just please make note.

2017 Hollywood Diversity Report: http://www.bunchecenter.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-Hollywood-Diversity-Report-2-21-17.pdf

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 26, 2017 6:41 PM

Jul 2013
Comic_Sans said:

Its Netflix stuff. Netflix stuff never flops sadly.
Sep 9, 2017 12:34 PM
Sep 2017
Jesus Christ. I thought, maybe since it's really popular, the film wouldn't be so bad. I'm not against Americanization and a few plot differences, but they really messed this one up. Rather surprisingly, the most out of place looking character, black L, actually displayed a good performance. Not good enough to make up for the horrible death scenes, clichéd plot, and the horrible remodeling of Light as a character. Of course, some people are going to act like these aren't problems.

I bet they like Dragonball Evolution, too.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3430 by pylixir »»
1 hour ago

» Top 20 songs.

scarydragon - 3 hours ago

0 by scarydragon »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7671 by SilentAssassin88 »»
6 hours ago

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - May 7

3 by TheMechaManiac »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

38 by scarydragon »»
Yesterday, 5:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.