Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2010 9:50 PM

Apr 2009
Maybe this has been done, but I looked a bit and didn't see it, so.

From Assassin's Creed II, I learned that when you put the "shove" button next to the "kill" button, hilarious mishaps will ensue in crowds.

From Eternal Darkness, I learned that the ultimate weapon in pre-gunpowder times is the torch, I am not even kidding it will kill you so hard. (The ultimate weapon in modern and future times, of course, is the shotgun.)

What key life lessons have you picked up from video games?
Feb 18, 2010 3:39 PM

Feb 2010
Well from most of the Final Fantasy games, I learned or got introduced to mythology characters and other religious deities because of the summons (Shiva, Ifrit, Hades, etc.).
Feb 18, 2010 4:10 PM

Jul 2008
I learned how to open chests and push boxes.

Also, if it moves, kill it.
Feb 18, 2010 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
Weapons only require ammunition if you're the one using them.

Enemy armies have endless troops which they will continue to send suicidally at you until you get too close to your objective.

Grenades are equipped with homing devices and can multiply faster than rabbits during spring.

You will always be shot more than anyone who's with you, no matter what location each member of your group is in.

Hitting someone with the butt of your gun is always more likely to kill someone than shooting them with a bullet.

Shooting someone in the foot enough times will cause death.

Attack weak points for massive damage.

All your bases really do belong to us.

A barrel roll is always the best option. No exceptions.

Your own death is enough to lose a war, whilst thousands of your team mates can die with no consequence.

Men choose, slaves obey.

You can always kill something far bigger than you by looking for strange symbols and stabbing them with a glowing blade.

People can obviously continue to fight without ailment after being shot anywhere but the head.

If there is imminent danger, music will begin to play.

Enemy pilots in a race will ignore each other to ensure your own death as soon as you take the lead.

Looking into a mirror long enough to realise the reflection is bleeding will ultimately result in your own death.

Executioners like to rape mannequins.

Frying pans will always kill generic zombies in one hit. No exceptions.

Electrocuting or setting someone alight else will cause them to spasm and scream helplessly, whilst it happening to you will just hurt a bit.

Elite enemy soldiers will never be as effective a killing machine as you, no matter how outnumbered you are.

Pretty sure there are some more, but I can't think right now.
Feb 18, 2010 4:37 PM

Jun 2009
Cops does retarded moves in the GTA series.
Feb 18, 2010 4:50 PM

Jun 2008
I learned that in all games, the hero is always called "the chosen one".
Feb 18, 2010 5:29 PM

Sep 2008
If I can't kill it in two hits, it's a Data Bug.
Feb 18, 2010 5:49 PM

Dec 2008
When in trouble do a barrell roll.
Feb 18, 2010 6:22 PM
Jun 2008
I learned that the solution is not to try to open doors by throwing things at them. Namely metal boxes with hearts on them.
Feb 18, 2010 6:54 PM

Dec 2008
I learned about Jung and Lacan and the concepts of Otherness (and the antitype) and collective unconscious from Xenogears. Many more things, too. The name of the imperial city in the sky called Solaris lead me to the Tarkovsky film of the same name. The name of the Gendo Ikari-esque villain Krelian was changed from his original name in the Japanese version: Karellen, which was taken from a character in Arthur C. Clarke's classic sci-fi novel Childhood's End, which in turn was the book from which Stanley Kubrick drew inspiration for 2001: A Space Odyssey. So while 2001: A Space Odyssey and its black monolith (which inspired the Zohar Modifier, found on Earth in 2001 in Xenogears' lore) catalyze transcendence, Xenogears was a videogame that catalyzed all kinds of new thoughts and experiences for me.

I haven't thought about all of that in years, but that's only the tip of the iceberg, really. Xenogears is absolutely rife with things that will send a curious young person reeling into a massive exodus of pattern recognition. Every name in the game comes from some religion, philosophy, mythology, or other work if fiction. I've learned a good deal from videogames, but that one was the ultimate gateway.

Heh, so there's at least one more dot connected to our Kubrick discussion from earlier, Aifer.

I also learned the word "simultaneous" from the back of my SNES's box.

Also that the princess is usually in another castle.
Feb 18, 2010 8:44 PM

Sep 2007
tehnominator said:
I learned that the solution is not to try to open doors by throwing things at them. Namely metal boxes with hearts on them.
No silly, you open doors by throwing metal boxes with hearts into nearby trash receptacles. Thereby causing yourself irreversible mental trauma. T_T
Feb 18, 2010 9:00 PM

Oct 2007
antitype said:
I learned about Jung and Lacan and the concepts of Otherness (and the antitype) and collective unconscious from Xenogears. Many more things, too. The name of the imperial city in the sky called Solaris lead me to the Tarkovsky film of the same name. The name of the Gendo Ikari-esque villain Krelian was changed from his original name in the Japanese version: Karellen, which was taken from a character in Arthur C. Clarke's classic sci-fi novel Childhood's End, which in turn was the book from which Stanley Kubrick drew inspiration for 2001: A Space Odyssey. So while 2001: A Space Odyssey and its black monolith (which inspired the Zohar Modifier, found on Earth in 2001 in Xenogears' lore) catalyze transcendence, Xenogears was a videogame that catalyzed all kinds of new thoughts and experiences for me.

I haven't thought about all of that in years, but that's only the tip of the iceberg, really. Xenogears is absolutely rife with things that will send a curious young person reeling into a massive exodus of pattern recognition. Every name in the game comes from some religion, philosophy, mythology, or other work if fiction. I've learned a good deal from videogames, but that one was the ultimate gateway.

Heh, so there's at least one more dot connected to our Kubrick discussion from earlier, Aifer.

I also learned the word "simultaneous" from the back of my SNES's box.

Also that the princess is usually in another castle.

Words. I also learned that JRPG used to be fun D:
Feb 18, 2010 9:05 PM

Nov 2007
1. Organized religion is evil. Always.

2. The government is also evil.

3. It is up to a spiky haired boy and his friend to save the world. No one else can do it.

4. You can get cut up to death and not die, unless it's in a cut scene

5. A boy will be able to topple a seasoned veteran at combat despite the fact that he's only been using a sword or a gun for a few months.

6. For girls: the less clothes the better.
Feb 18, 2010 9:13 PM

Dec 2008
ShinRA said:

Er, is that "Word," or "Words," as in "too many" or "too big"?

I thought Xenogears was fun, though yeah I know blah blah disc 2.
Feb 18, 2010 9:24 PM
Dec 2008
antitype said:
ShinRA said:

Maybe "words" as in "vocabulary"? That's what I was going to write.
I remember picking up a lot of words from JRPGs: allocate, synthesize, attribute, etc.
Feb 18, 2010 9:40 PM

Dec 2008
valesti said:
antitype said:
ShinRA said:

Maybe "words" as in "vocabulary"? That's what I was going to write.
I remember picking up a lot of words from JRPGs: allocate, synthesize, attribute, etc.

Ah, true. Seemed odd coming after quoting my post like that, but yeah, jRPGs expanded my vocabulary quite a bit, too.
Feb 18, 2010 9:54 PM

Oct 2007
Both of them is correct actually. Too may vocabs that its fun to learn. I played original Xenogears first and then the localized ones later
Feb 19, 2010 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
Video games increased my english vocabulary and improved my grammar.

I learned alot in different religions' beliefs and mythologies from Persona 3
Feb 19, 2010 4:59 AM

Jan 2010
Problem solving.

Thinking for oneself.

Other shit I don't remember.

:D
Feb 19, 2010 5:03 AM

Dec 2009
You can get stabbed a hundred times yet you wont die.

Feb 19, 2010 6:29 AM

May 2009
Not to skip work/school because your addicted to bloody animal crossing
Not to trust Raccons that have their own store.

Double - Tap rule on zombies(I'M LOOKING AT YOU RE-REMAKE)
Feb 19, 2010 12:19 PM

Sep 2008
You can get shot, slashed, crushes and still be fine as long as your Health is more than zero. And no matter what does it, when your health does hit zero, you explode.
Feb 19, 2010 12:41 PM

Feb 2005
Females can use the same sort of armour that males use, and enjoy the same defensive benefits, even though they leave their bellies, legs and cleavages bare.
Apparently, naked flesh emits some sort of mysterious defensive barriers, making it impervious to arrows, stabs and shots.
Feb 19, 2010 12:57 PM

Dec 2009
DeathHormone said:
Not to skip work/school because your addicted to bloody animal crossing
Not to trust Raccons that have their own store.

Double - Tap rule on zombies(I'M LOOKING AT YOU RE-REMAKE)

Ah yes. Animal Crossing. Its dangerous.

Feb 19, 2010 2:41 PM
Sep 2009
If you get hurt, hide yourself for a couple of seconds and you'll be fully healed!
]
Feb 19, 2010 6:15 PM

Nov 2009
- When in doubt... SUMMON!

-Pretty sparkling orbs are just there to distract you and make you waste hours of your life...

-To speak Al Behd!

-Hedgehogs are the fastest animals on Earth

-Don't jump into the swirling portal of darknes...no matter how inviting it looks

-Guys get the pretty clothes, girls have to scrape the bargain bin

R.I.P J.D. Salinger <3
Feb 19, 2010 6:29 PM

Dec 2008
cake: lie
Feb 19, 2010 6:30 PM
Dec 2009
Seaslugs said:
You can get shot, slashed, crushes and still be fine as long as your Health is more than zero. And no matter what does it, when your health does hit zero, you explode.

this for sure.
Feb 19, 2010 7:27 PM

Feb 2009
1. vocabulary, especially in american rpgs like fallout 2.

2. coordination - micro/macro (precise joystick movements to controlling large armies)
Feb 19, 2010 7:57 PM

Jul 2009
- if you've shot don't worry, the bullets will magically come out of you just like wolverine.

-If you buy a xbox 360 you don't need to invest in a sauna.

-playing with low sensitivity on a mouse is a real workout.
Feb 19, 2010 7:59 PM

Dec 2008
There are a lot of dumb responses here.
Feb 19, 2010 8:34 PM

Oct 2008
If you're caught in the middle of a fire fight you can freeze time to ask your support team for advice on how to kill your enemy.

antitype said:

Why so serious?
Feb 19, 2010 8:51 PM

Dec 2008
Mujina said:
antitype said:

Why so serious?

Not at all, but I'd prefer jokes to be clever. "IF BULLETS MAGICALLY COMES OUT OF WOLVERINE DEY'LL MAGIXALLY COME OUTTA ME TOO HURF DURF" is not interesting or funny, though.
Feb 19, 2010 9:11 PM

Oct 2008
I know I'm just messing with you.

Oh also I forgot to add that nanomachines are the cure/cause/problem for everything in life.
Feb 20, 2010 3:17 AM
Feb 2009
I actually learnt a lot of Japanese history from Sengoku Rance. Heck, I somehow managed to memorise all the important figures of the Warring states period without actually knowing it until doing a thorough wiki-search on it.
Feb 20, 2010 10:30 AM

Jan 2010
You can do many things that you never thought of
Sig deleted for being too large.
Feb 20, 2010 12:52 PM

Sep 2008
It's not how well you follow, but how well you lead the target.

Lag is the greatest teacher.
Feb 20, 2010 5:17 PM

Dec 2007
That they are fun, and that is all.
Feb 20, 2010 8:05 PM

Mar 2008
Forward, Down, Down-Forward + Fierce
Feb 20, 2010 8:55 PM

Jun 2008
Despite the overwhelming amount of sarcasm in this topic, I'll try to really think about it. Let's see...

1) (Obvious) Turning a video game into a successful movie is REALLY hard. You just can't repeat the same shooting/fighting/racing/whathaveyou a million times in a (decent) movie. The new Prince of Persia movie though looks epic.
2) Racing games had produced countless nightmares of me falling off a cliff and gave me this impression that I suck at driving and will never be good at it. I dunno if I ever want a driver's license. It's like one of those extremely silly traits of mine, that I can't get rid of.
3) Perseverance usually pays off. In other cases I just give up and never touch the game ever again.
4) I will probably keep on playing Pokemon games until they stop developing more games, what a sad piece of fact.
5) Mythology/history information here or there. But since my memory is absolutely atrocious, I don't remember any except for the most recent encounters. That being the name of Masakado, Yoshitune, Izanagi, Izanami.

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

56 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
4 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.