Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2008 12:51 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So now even Nina has made her way to Munich and has even made friends with someone connected to Johan.
And it also looks like Tenma is not in the best of shape and to make things worse it seems his resolve to kill Johan is wavering.
Well can't wait to see what happens..
Apr 9, 2008 6:46 AM

Feb 2008
Nina will probably find out about Johan, the next time she meets with that girl. Either that or she'll meet/see him herself (by chance perhaps).
And it looks like Tenma won't kill Johan at that forest =P
Apr 20, 2008 11:42 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, he wouldn't have the guts to kill Johan in the forest.

But, the only thing that's really a mystery here is how can Tenma live? How does he get money at all?! I don't think he's working part-time. Hahaha! It's something absurd.
Dec 26, 2008 3:11 PM

Jun 2008
Well Tenma was a super neuro surgeon. I'm certain he was pretty loaded ;\

Lotte's really annoying. Oh well, she's going to die soon, I guess...
Aug 11, 2009 11:41 AM

Jul 2009
babykeiji said:
Yeah, he wouldn't have the guts to kill Johan in the forest.

But, the only thing that's really a mystery here is how can Tenma live? How does he get money at all?! I don't think he's working part-time. Hahaha! It's something absurd.

Well he was a top surgeon for 9 years and a pretty good one before that with virtually no social life so I'm guessing he'd have saved ALOT of money lol. On topic it seems Tenma's resolve to kill Johan is wavering and he's wrestling with his conscience...
Jan 20, 2010 6:07 PM

Jul 2009
Well, there are around 40 episodes left. I just want to see what Johann does next.
Jan 30, 2010 7:13 AM

Sep 2009
Very deep episode. It examines human morality at the aspect of murder. As I have mentioned before, Tenma is doubting because of the human side inside Johan. Or is it possible that he think that Johan is not entirely monster. Or maybe he just does not realize what murder is. No matter what, it seems we will see Tenma fail at the last moment just before triggering the hammer. I am not sure if he will TRY to kill Johan in this forest (the old man's speech about his past had a deep indentation to Tenma, and the name of the episode suggests that this is a sanctuary where blood should not be spilled) or somewhere else. But I am pretty sure that indentation affects the entire aspect of murder, and not only the forest. But he will fail, and therefore we will see a lot of episodes showing Tenma's psychological development towards his goal to kill Johan.

Previous episode only consolidates Tenma's inability to pull the trigger. "In the daylight" was the name of the episode. It was a start of Tenma's notion that Johan might also be human. He said that he saw Johan in broad daylight for the first time. Maybe that means, that he actually acknowledges Johan's good side, and wants to save him deep inside. The fact that he has onyl seen Johan one time before, and has only heard about his actions only stimulates this though. I am really anxious to see how this will be sorted out.
No sig :(
Feb 1, 2010 10:20 PM

Jan 2009
Damn that old man. He had to ruin everything with that damn sympathetic story.
May 29, 2010 1:31 AM

Sep 2008
Ha, every girl should be jealous of Mamiko Noto, she is a goddess after all. She has this ability that makes everyone feel better. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2010 10:26 AM

Apr 2009
Tenma should have killed Johann right there in the forest. Now he lost the chance.

Who cares if those stupid birds will not sit on your shoulder anymore? Kill the birds too, Tenma! (ò_ó)
Sep 2, 2010 5:36 AM

Sep 2009
Tenma's struggling, twas pretty creepy when Johann looked his way when he was in the forest... :p
Tis getting good :)
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 18, 2010 6:35 AM

May 2009
Renato said:
Tenma should have killed Johann right there in the forest. Now he lost the chance.

Who cares if those stupid birds will not sit on your shoulder anymore? Kill the birds too, Tenma! (ò_ó)
agree what a stupid reason. bad episode
Nov 12, 2010 9:55 PM

Mar 2010
this is awesome, there is still something that is bugging me, why doesnt tenma just
kill him already its better just to do it

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 20, 2011 1:45 PM
Jun 2010
Zewerr said:
Damn that old man. He had to ruin everything with that damn sympathetic story.

actually i really liked that bit. Im watching hajime no ippo and monsters together so its a good mix.

yeah i dont really care if he didnt kill johan. but i bet they could have twisted it a bit mroe if he did and some random crap came up
May 17, 2011 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
I liked that old man. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 2, 2012 6:32 PM
Nov 2009
unholy_cat said:
Renato said:

agree what a stupid reason. bad episode

It was a metaphor my sweeties.

Great episode imo.
Mar 1, 2012 3:02 PM

Mar 2009
It was good to see Nina.. and it took some time for Lotte to realize who she looked like.
Mar 14, 2012 3:22 PM

Mar 2010
cant wait to see wat happens..
Jun 2, 2012 3:01 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
If I could just have one wish for the next 40 or so episodes it would be that they show more of Nina.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 2, 2012 5:35 PM

Apr 2008
Just one BIG thing that's still bugging me troughout the series though... isn't Tenma supposed to be a big time serial killer fugitive? How can he move about in public so easily, they don't have wanted posters or tv ads those days are something o_O? Start of series people did recognize hiim but decided not to hand him over, that was plausible, now just nobody recognizes him...find that hard to believe
Jun 4, 2012 4:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Straw-Hat-Matt said:
Just one BIG thing that's still bugging me troughout the series though... isn't Tenma supposed to be a big time serial killer fugitive? How can he move about in public so easily, they don't have wanted posters or tv ads those days are something o_O? Start of series people did recognize hiim but decided not to hand him over, that was plausible, now just nobody recognizes him...find that hard to believe

yeah, and let's remember that he's a japanese guy in Germany. Not too many Asians in Germany! I suppose that even a series as good and serious as Monster needs for us to "suspend our disbelief" for a little while.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 27, 2012 9:47 PM

Jul 2010
...Poor Tenma. He's so conflicted, I feel so bad for him.
And I'm pretty happy Nina's catching up to everyone. I want to see what action she chooses to take. (also, wondering where Dieter is right now.. Still with the therapist guy? o.O)
Aug 30, 2012 9:03 AM

Oct 2010
and now he isn't going to kill johan in that forest because of that old man, that is ridiculous, this episode was to slow paced for me
Sep 20, 2012 6:23 PM

Nov 2009
That was a really weak deterrent for not killing in probably the best spot Tenma will ever have, I really hope he doesn't wussy out, although its been several weeks, really unclear why he hasn't taken the shot yet. Although if he does kill Johan the next 30-40 episodes would be super boring since their would be no plot.
Dec 18, 2012 2:32 AM

Feb 2012
Nina episode :)

About Episode:

Looks like Nina found herself also in Munchen and Lotta discovered that she looks like Johan. I am pretty sure she will start investigating about her. And also it seems Lotta really did love Karl. But because Johan's actions what he did. He basically destroyed their friendship forever. Or so it seems.

Tenma having new weapon now O_O Still one thing that I am not getting why the heck he is so down on every place. I mean not eating / drinking is it because he now have seen Johan and resist for him.

That forest story that man told was touching I mean was that boy who loved birds Johan he mentioned because he mentioned Hitler there or was it someone else but same thoughts like Johan has.

So Tenma now has to make choice here either he will eliminate Johan in forest or he don't do that in the forest but someone else. Like he had doubt in the end.

Sad episode

5/5
Jan 28, 2013 3:30 PM

Jan 2012
So all the main players are in Munich. Can't wait to see what will happen next.

Feb 25, 2013 12:28 AM
Aug 2011
Straw-Hat-Matt said:

Pretty much everything here.

That's animation for you.
Mar 3, 2013 11:44 PM

Aug 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
That was a really weak deterrent for not killing in probably the best spot Tenma will ever have, I really hope he doesn't wussy out, although its been several weeks, really unclear why he hasn't taken the shot yet. Although if he does kill Johan the next 30-40 episodes would be super boring since their would be no plot.

Yeah he could have just sniped him real quick and mission complete, but oh well. Looks like hes struggling with his emotions
Aug 19, 2013 6:41 AM
May 2012
Of course Tenma wouldn't kill Johann right now because there is still 42 episodes left. What would happen to the story If Johann gets killed right now and He can't be killed that easily cause He knows Tenma is spying on him and more Anna please.
Oct 2, 2013 1:12 AM

Feb 2009
Although it feels like everything is leading into one big climax, where Tenma is going to attempt to murder Johan, while Lunge is on his tail, and Nina is there as well (so there's a chance they will all meet for a huge tea party), the series is not even at its half-way point!

If this turns out into a cat and mouse game, where Johan is the mouse and keeps eluding everyone with his schemes, with the quality of suspense-building, thrills and story-telling we heve been shown so far, I am sure I am in for an emotional ride!

Also, with the exception of Tenma and Nina, I can't help, but feel that every sympathetic character in the show is in grave danger! That's how a mystery thriller should make you feel, and Monster so far has done it right! My only complain about the series so far is that at some point we get an episode that doesn't contribute at all to the story progression or to any main character development. (An example would be the ep about the old couple giving Tenma a ride). But those are few and far in-between, so it's not that big of an issue.
Oct 2, 2013 1:23 AM

Feb 2009
parfaited said:
Straw-Hat-Matt said:

Pretty much everything here.

That's animation for you.

That's not animation for you, because these inconsistencies aren't exclusive to animation. Even the high acclaimed live-action movies and TV Series have bigger flaws.
Oct 5, 2013 12:52 AM

Jul 2009
finally we got Frank Lotte back!!

was very surprised she just disappeared after Karl got back with his father.

speaking of Karl, he's such a fucking asshole.

Lotte helped you all the way yet you don't even try to repay her.

at least go to the dance you fucking idiot.

poor Lotte :(

and wow Nina is back!!!! been awhile since i last seen her ^^

she's still skillful as ever, taking down that douchebag!

i have a feeling he was hired to danced Lotte since he mentioned someone would give him money to dance with her.

so that it would create a distraction and someone would kidnap Nina.

man if only Lotte had mention to Nina that she looks like her brother, Nina would have stayed and soon discover Johan.

badass Tenma is using a high calibur sniper rifle!

it seems he's having some hard time killing Johan out of the blue.

it seems Johan knows this and probably knows Tenma can't do it.

i find it ironic that the old guy who was used to be a Nazi soldier just outright killed the foreigner in the woods, and now he's asking for forgiveness in front of a foreigner.

man Johan could have been killed in this episode if it weren't for the old man's words :P

as for those asking why he was able to roam freely without anyone noticing.

it could be that it was sometime now since that news(although in the past episodes, most of the people do recognize him)

plus alot of murders get reported anyways, so it's hard to keep track of it.

so next episode is Dieter now huh? :)
Dec 16, 2013 9:55 PM

Sep 2011
He just had to say that.

And freaky moment when Johan turned around and had eye contact with Tenma.
Jul 7, 2014 3:52 PM
Jul 2014
The first half of the episode is quite disappointing, yes the arrival of Anna is great but the overall segment of her bonding with Lotte(the annoying one) is boring and really had no point to the main scheme of things. The second part although when we see Tenma preparing for the assassination and feeling a bit blue is intriguing. He might be having second thoughts. The speech by the old man was mesmerizing, once you have killed someone there is no going back. Can our hero Tenma seriously kill Johan in cold blood?? And when is Johan going to reveal his real plan with Shubalt?? Going to watch the next one right now and it's 4 am here ^_^
Oct 4, 2014 5:05 PM

Sep 2013
That Johan look is just fucking scary, even when it's not Johan who's doing it.
Oct 15, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2011
The emphasis of this episode is Tenma's innocence. His moments where he freaks out, the puking, and (symbolically) the bird landing on his arm all show this. As much of a monster as Johan is, Tenma is decidedly not a monster. He's hardly done anything that could be considered wrong so far, and murder is obviously a huge line to cross. I hope he finds another way.

I find this topic difficult to talk about thanks to some of the posters in this thread. It's hard to believe how many would-be murderers there are in the world, provided that someone feels the other deserves to die. I'm honestly disgusted.

The parts with Nina and Lotte were interesting. Lotte is as nosy as usual, but her romance development is slightly interesting. Karl seems to have completely ditched her.
Oct 15, 2014 1:45 AM

Mar 2013
TripleSRank said:
The emphasis of this episode is Tenma's innocence. His moments where he freaks out, the puking, and (symbolically) the bird landing on his arm all show this. As much of a monster as Johan is, Tenma is decidedly not a monster. He's hardly done anything that could be considered wrong so far, and murder is obviously a huge line to cross. I hope he finds another way.

I find this topic difficult to talk about thanks to some of the posters in this thread. It's hard to believe how many would-be murderers there are in the world, provided that someone feels the other deserves to die. I'm honestly disgusted.

Don't worry, not every viewer of Monster thinks like that. But I'm sure you've noticed as much already yourself. :)
Dec 23, 2014 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
Shame that Tenma will probably not be able to do it when the moment comes.
TripleSRank said:

Slow down there, this isn't real life discussion.
Feb 1, 2015 11:32 PM

Nov 2013
Jesus Christ Tenma is a mess. Tenma's never going to be able to kill Johan if he keeps this up.

Don't know who I hate more. Karl for paying a guy to dance with Lotte or Lotte herself.

Can't believe it took me so long to realize that Nina's VA also voices Ai from Jigoku Shoujo! Now I wanna hear Nina say "Ippen shinde miru?". Yes I know Monster came before Jigoku Shoujo.

Good episode. Not much happened in terms of plot development though that's okay.

7/10 for this episode

Mar 30, 2015 5:45 AM
Nov 2014
Decent episode I'd say.

That goosebumps I got when Johan looked back at Tenma's scope.

Tenma is getting desperate now sadly.
Jul 19, 2015 6:57 AM

Jul 2014
lol Tenma is a Disney character.

5/5
Aug 30, 2015 11:32 PM

Dec 2013
Stuck in the friendzone :(
Sep 24, 2015 12:07 AM
Sep 2015
This is by far my least favorite episode.
The later half started to get interesting, but that didn't make up for the mostly pointless first half.
Oh well, gotta have a least favorite episode sooner or later.
Amazing anime none the less and one of my favorites so far.
May 30, 2016 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
Nina/Anna is back!
Lotte was a bit annoying when she said those things to Nina/Anna, telling her that she doesn't have a problem because she's beautiful.
Karl changed a lot, I wonder if he is even keeping in touch with his foster parents.
We learned in this episode that birds hate nazis.
Oct 22, 2016 3:48 AM

Jan 2016
aaaand of course a dumb forest story about some fuckin birds gonna keep him from killing Johan smh they need to cut the fuckin bullshit bruh
Dec 16, 2016 7:42 AM

May 2016
I can't help it to hate that Lotte just because she is pretty doesn't mean that she doesn't have problems those beautiful eyes hides a lot of sadness and sorrow
Poor Tenma now he needs to change the place (ㄏ ̄▽ ̄)ㄏ
Jan 10, 2017 7:21 PM

Dec 2012
The bird landed on Tenma because he's not a killer... yet?
Jan 28, 2017 7:22 AM

Jun 2009
TripleSRank said:

I wouldn't be so harsh, I doubt most really put much thought into what it really means to kill someone.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 29, 2017 5:05 PM
Feb 2015
i can understand how real this is and hard for Tenma but wish he will pull the trigger when the time comes... What a nice story
Jan 29, 2017 5:13 PM
Feb 2015
TripleSRank said:

The parts with Nina and Lotte were interesting. Lotte is as nosy as usual, but her romance development is slightly interesting. Karl seems to have completely ditched her.
dude there is a difference between fiction and reality, this is thread centers around fiction which is anime and not reality but even if they do wish him to die, it doesnt mean that they will kill him not everyone has the guts to do it or the will to do it.Also life isnt all happy things there will be murders rapes everywhere you go, grow up
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.