Forum Settings
Forums

Are people who've seen ridiculous amounts of anime actually casuals?

New
Feb 28, 2017 12:22 PM

Jul 2016
Think about it. Nobody who's completed anime in the two hundreds and beyond will be able to retain in-depth knowledge of things they've seen to sell someone on an anime or show off their weeb prowess.

Only those dedicated to a manageable amount of shows they can recite things about are true hardcore otaku.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 28, 2017 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Shit post time already?

Let me get the Aikatsu gifs.
Feb 28, 2017 12:26 PM
May 2016
That is a good question. I don't have the answer but since I have slight memory loss I will be forever casual :'(
Feb 28, 2017 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
I remember every detail of every anime I have ever seen. Come at me bro.
Feb 28, 2017 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Flawed logic if you ask me. What is potentially unmanageable for YOU is not necessarily unmanageable for OTHERS.
KruszerFeb 28, 2017 12:55 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 28, 2017 12:57 PM

Apr 2011
No. There's plenty of room between casual and otaku.
Because I am definitely NOT an otaku, and I remember plenty of things about every single anime I've seen. Even if it was one from a long time ago, just let me look @ the poster for it and I'll be like, 'Oh, okay so this and that happens and this character is better than this one etc, etc.'
AngelicTotoroFeb 28, 2017 1:06 PM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 28, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2013
People can do both, to have seen a lot of anime and have a depth knowledge of some of them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2017 1:05 PM

Feb 2016
AholePony said:

Which specific ingredients did Uiharu bring to a hot pot evening hosted by Saten in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S?
Feb 28, 2017 1:16 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah, I don't watch anime to recite things about them. I watch anime for the momentary experience of watching them. If I forget things afterwards, I don't care. It's even great for rewatching if I feel like it. But what really counts for me is the actual experience of watching them and not how much I remember a week or a year after I've seen it.

I'm more dedicated to the medium as a whole than to any individual series so for most shows there will be tons of people who studied them more in-depth than I have, but I'll be more knowledgable than them about the big picture, history, context, the industry, animation techniques and all hat fun stuff. Those are just the things Ipersonally find more interesting than rewatching the same show 20 times until I memorize every line.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 28, 2017 1:59 PM

Jul 2012
ahoyanen said:
AholePony said:

Which specific ingredients did Uiharu bring to a hot pot evening hosted by Saten in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S?

Didn't Uiharu bring the veggies? So like corn, peppers, mushrooms, etc. She definitely didn't bring the turtle or meat.
Feb 28, 2017 2:02 PM

Mar 2016
I don't know about you, but I consider a casual to be one who watches anime, well, casually.
That means around 3 episodes a day, unlike me, who enjoys watching 23-25 every day I have off.
No, I can't remember 90% of what I've seen, but that's alright. That's what happens when you go on MAL, Discord, and play games while watching anime. Every time.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Feb 28, 2017 2:04 PM

Feb 2017
Depends on the anime - there are reasons I drop series. So retaining memories about those is useless.

But one can say, that the better the anime was in the view of the watcher the more they will remember.

Am I right on this point?
'Just one more thing..." - Detective Columbo
Feb 28, 2017 2:08 PM

Jul 2016
Svalinn_Hoenir said:
Depends on the anime - there are reasons I drop series. So retaining memories about those is useless.

I drop series as well. This doesn't apply to those.

Svalinn_Hoenir said:
But one can say, that the better the anime was in the view of the watcher the more they will remember.

Am I right on this point?

Yes, but I'm talking about people who want to go further than that to impress people. That's hardcore.
Feb 28, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2013
You should only remember things about the anime you liked, if someone tells you that he remembers every single thing about all the anime he watched he is lying or he just watched one anime.
Feb 28, 2017 2:11 PM

Jun 2015
IpreferEcchi said:

Yes, but I'm talking about people who want to go further than that to impress people. That's hardcore.

Anime knowledge is not an impressive thing.
:)
Feb 28, 2017 2:15 PM

Jul 2016
Ulquiorra said:
You should only remember things about the anime you liked, if someone tells you that he remembers every single thing about all the anime he watched he is lying or he just watched one anime.

I didn't say every single thing. I mean the stuff the average person would forget in a couple weeks or a month.

desseroni said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Anime knowledge is not an impressive thing.

It is when you can see people picking up the anime you advertise at increasing rates with the Stats tab for it.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/message/49819698?goto=topic
Feb 28, 2017 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
AholePony said:
ahoyanen said:

Didn't Uiharu bring the veggies? So like corn, peppers, mushrooms, etc. She definitely didn't bring the turtle or meat.

It was more than 30 minutes between you came online and giving an answer. I suspect cheating!
Feb 28, 2017 2:37 PM

Jul 2012
I was at lunch I no cheater pls believes! -_-
Feb 28, 2017 2:38 PM
Oct 2015
I remember everything. I spend 5-10 hours a day watching anime every single day. Thats not casual.
Feb 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Nov 2011
I'm inclined to believe that most of these people could shill you anything they rated 8 or higher with a reasonable amount of detail, provided that their mean isn't super high. Maybe their 7s too.

Remembering every detail isn't that important anyway. Watching casually and being obsessed are extremes; you're acting as if there is no middle ground.
Feb 28, 2017 3:59 PM
Mar 2015
I cannot conceive how this question can be asked in a serious manner. How could watching less give one more insight into a topic than watching more does? Of course it is possible that someone who has watched less shows is more knowledgeable about anime than someone who has watched many shows superficially, but in general the more one deals with a subject, the more one knows about it. The arguments given in the OP do not make sense. Let's say the human brain worked in such a simple manner that one could only retain the information of the last 10 shows watched: The person who has watched 100 shows would still remember as many shows as the person who has only watched 10 shows.
Feb 28, 2017 4:26 PM

Jun 2015
What kind of idiot actually remembers at heart all the details of an anime anyway?

PLS, you're just trying to justify your plebeian status
Feb 28, 2017 5:00 PM

Feb 2013
Artaios said:
I cannot conceive how this question can be asked in a serious manner. How could watching less give one more insight into a topic than watching more does? Of course it is possible that someone who has watched less shows is more knowledgeable about anime than someone who has watched many shows superficially, but in general the more one deals with a subject, the more one knows about it. The arguments given in the OP do not make sense. Let's say the human brain worked in such a simple manner that one could only retain the information of the last 10 shows watched: The person who has watched 100 shows would still remember as many shows as the person who has only watched 10 shows.
The law of diminishing returns says every anime you watch decreases the remembering of animes in the future. So the person who watched 100 shows actually remembers 1.15 animes less than the one who watched 10.in other words the question was most likely not asked in a serious matter
Feb 28, 2017 7:02 PM

Jan 2014
This is actually my first hobby I started that doesn't make me want to show it off to people. So I enjoy my series without thinking about anyone else or attached feelings.

And it's not that I'm ashamed or something, it is that I don't have people to show it off.
Most of the people ignore me and there's no "friends" or even people I talk with that like to talk about anime and cute things as deep as I want.

There was my little bro, but he started watching pretentious science videos :')

Started being active in the site because I saw there's people like me and like to talk about it, and the "It can be fun" thought came to my mind, so I'm here.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Feb 28, 2017 7:13 PM

Feb 2010
TripleSRank said:
I'm inclined to believe that most of these people could shill you anything they rated 8 or higher with a reasonable amount of detail, provided that their mean isn't super high. Maybe their 7s too.

Definitely not my 7s if my current rewatch of Kekkai Sensen is any indication xD.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 28, 2017 7:25 PM

Jul 2016
danilitoleon said:
This is actually my first hobby I started that doesn't make me want to show it off to people. So I enjoy my series without thinking about anyone else or attached feelings.

And it's not that I'm ashamed or something, it is that I don't have people to show it off.
Most of the people ignore me and there's no "friends" or even people I talk with that like to talk about anime and cute things as deep as I want.

There was my little bro, but he started watching pretentious science videos :')

Started being active in the site because I saw there's people like me and like to talk about it, and the "It can be fun" thought came to my mind, so I'm here.

Every time I mentioned other people, I meant people on MyAnimeList that an impression can be made on. People who are potential viewers of anime they will be unaware of if we don't promote them.
Feb 28, 2017 7:29 PM
Dec 2016
I think that it depends on ehich series you are watch,but overall every knowledge made you stronger.
(π_π)
Feb 28, 2017 7:31 PM

Jan 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
Every time I mentioned other people, I meant people on MyAnimeList that an impression can be made on. People who are potential viewers of anime they will be unaware of if we don't promote them.

Wel if that's the case, I'm the one who usually gets impressed, idk why, but the fact that they spent (or invested) their time in finishing 1k or 3k anime just makes me want to compliment.

I repeat, idk why, just comes to my mind.

Then ask them how do they do to watch all that.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Feb 28, 2017 7:36 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Who needs anime knowledge to live a life? I'm not a mangaka or anime director anyway

#ProudToBeCasual

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 28, 2017 9:19 PM

Jun 2007
IpreferEcchi said:
Nobody who's completed anime in the two hundreds and beyond will be able to retain in-depth knowledge of things they've seen to sell someone on an anime or show off their weeb prowess.
This assumes that the kind of people who watch hundreds of anime are neurotypical individuals. And you know what they say about assuming things...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Feb 28, 2017 9:23 PM

May 2015
Well then, I am glad I am beyond that threshold so that I am not a true hardcore otaku.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2017 9:31 PM

Jun 2015
I remember the storylines with some flaws, but I don't remember details and names, maybe I remember the relationships too... You can't really remember everything from maybe maximum 100 anime, atleast thats what I think
Feb 28, 2017 9:41 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
IpreferEcchi said:
Nobody who's completed anime in the two hundreds and beyond will be able to retain in-depth knowledge of things they've seen to sell someone on an anime or show off their weeb prowess.
I don't watch anime with the sole purpose of selling someone on an anime or showing off assumed weeb prowess.
Most shows I just watch for myself. If it's an anime I want to sell people on, I will remember things about it. You start to realize that some shows are just forgettable or you wish you would forget... so you do. You don't need or want in-depth knowledge on them.

It doesn't really matter anymore as everyone has already used their own personal definition, but ya gotta define "casual" clearly in the context of your thread.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 28, 2017 9:56 PM

Jul 2015
No theres people out there that score proficiently.
Casuals would be the types that watch anime just for the fun of it not really taking to mind of the flaws until they find ones they really hate. So my answer is that it depends and as for "hardcore otaku" that just means you have a nasty obsession with anime not necessarily just Japanese culture like weaboo's

Feb 28, 2017 10:07 PM

Mar 2016
i'd rather be a 'casual' than a guy who takes anime too seriously.
Feb 28, 2017 10:14 PM
Oct 2016
just because you aren't able to accomplish this certain feat doesn't necessarily equal everyone being unable to do it. uh logic???

i haven't watched over 200 but I'm getting there. I only retain extremely deep memory (to the extent where i can even say their lines a few seconds before they do, side characters that are shown for less than a minute, and each scene and how it ends) if they are able to hold my attention for the whole span of the show, and if it was actually something worth remembering.
Feb 28, 2017 10:31 PM

Jan 2015
I bet somebody already forgot how retarded these post was

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 28, 2017 10:41 PM

Jun 2016
Lookkkk Casual FANDOMMM Again....

Is it very serious stuff?...

Sheesh
Mar 1, 2017 1:53 AM

Nov 2009
IpreferEcchi said:
Think about it. Nobody who's completed anime in the two hundreds and beyond will be able to retain in-depth knowledge of things they've seen to sell someone on an anime or show off their weeb prowess.

Only those dedicated to a manageable amount of shows they can recite things about are true hardcore otaku.

Let me put it like this: it's been a while since I've watched SAO (I watched it as an ongoing, and read the books some time before that), but I can still have an argument with its haters. And they can't answer with anything but "muh plot holes", and grow silent when pressed to tell what the plot holes were.
Sure, I do not remember every anime I've watched in minute detail. Not all of them deserve that, you know!

But if you ask me, in-depth knowledge on a series isn't important for anime fan cred. What matters is ability to recommend something for any possible request. Maximum points for ability to say that the requester has surely seen all possible anime that fit his criteria.
Mar 1, 2017 2:11 AM

Mar 2016
I 'member all muh anime. I can speak to pretty much every single one to some level.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Mar 1, 2017 2:41 AM

Jun 2010
While someone who has seen less AND has seen a title more recently CAN have deeper knowlegde about the individual titles on his list. If you watch more you gain a deeper understanding about the medium as a whole. Recognize story patterns, visual styles, memes, understand references to other titles or specifics of japanese/otaku culture or japanese history or mysticism.

So i wouldn't say watching more anime is in any form detrimental to ones expertise.
Mar 1, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Highly unlikely.

Speaking from personal experience, I can still recall decades worth of information from NASCAR back when I was a huge fan, down to the most bizarre stats.

When you love and invest so much into a medium like that, it becomes absolutely possible to retain such massive amounts of info. The human brain is a magnificent piece of computer tech after all.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 1, 2017 8:23 AM
Mar 2015
romagia said:
Artaios said:
The law of diminishing returns says every anime you watch decreases the remembering of animes in the future. So the person who watched 100 shows actually remembers 1.15 animes less than the one who watched 10.in other words the question was most likely not asked in a serious matter

I don't think the law of diminishing returns applies to the brain. And even if it did as you describe, someone who watched more would gain less per show but would still have more knowledge overall. 100 times a smaller coefficient is still more than 10*1.
Mar 1, 2017 8:26 AM

Sep 2009
Lmao, they probably only forget things that they don't like.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 1, 2017 9:09 AM

Mar 2012
Well I mean I've seen about 500 anime but I can still tell you useless facts about K-On!

Did you know that in Season 2 every single girl in the 3rd year class has a name, a face and a personality? Crazy huh.
Mar 1, 2017 9:10 AM

Feb 2016
That moment when you see another OP makes it seem as if being an otaku only means to have watch lots of anime.

Mar 1, 2017 9:12 AM

Apr 2014
I usually play a lot in the recc boards so my memories of shows are sometimes stimulated going through my list giving people help, but if you asked me about a show, I'd be able to tell you the plot of I seen it :]
Some of them have pretty similar names tho, so you're probably right that I wouldn't be able to tell you which is this and that
Mar 1, 2017 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
OP jelly of the numbers game, go watch more shows then.
Mar 1, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2014
does it even matter if ur a casual or not?......
Mar 1, 2017 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
I've seen 500+ but I still can't manage to make my friends interested in any anime, I just have to show them to prove I'm right.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - May 8

12 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 8 hours ago

26 by ZXEAN »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - May 9

37 by BatoKusanagi »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

57 by NonAtmospheric »»
11 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 12

51 by Toooooooooohru »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.