Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think it's weeb to watch a lot of anime?

New
Feb 20, 2017 4:18 PM

Aug 2013
I just realised it is. Anything aside from following a few ongoing shows is pretty antisocial for Japanese people.
JustaCratFeb 25, 2017 2:07 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 20, 2017 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
Bad bait, but I will bite. At a certain age you stop worrying about small matters like this. Watching a lot of anime is the choice of the watcher and only bad if its ruining your life. Gamers are a lot worse anyway since a good number of them play games for 6+ hours a day.
Feb 20, 2017 8:58 PM
Jan 2016
Well I think "a lot" is pretty relative. If watching anime is taking up most of the time of your day, then I think you might have a problem.

However, just watching about 3ish hours maybe more on days you feel like binging shouldn't be a huge issue.
Feb 20, 2017 10:01 PM

Jun 2015
Only if you are obsessed, I guess. I'd only consider you obsessed if you spend a lot of time on an anime forum, or something weird like that.

Feb 20, 2017 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
All depends on your motives OP. All depends.....
Feb 20, 2017 11:21 PM

Aug 2016
Eh, I don't think you're a true "weeb" if it only pertains to anime. There's a lot more that goes into being a weeb than just watching a lot of anime.

But, everyone likes what they like and it doesn't matter if you casually watch anime or watch it every day. To each their own~
Feb 21, 2017 12:55 AM

May 2015
The fact you use 'weeb' is more worrying. You use a word that defines its user to be incapable of having fun.

Do you know what do we do to people who use 'weeb'? We leave them whining in their computer about 'weebs' while we party.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 21, 2017 1:04 AM

Aug 2016
To have watched a lot of anime means you have a lot of free time, and you have nothing else to do.
Weeb? I don't think it's even in the dictionary, I despise people who uses that phrase.
Feb 21, 2017 4:41 AM

Sep 2008
SubcompactCrat said:
I just realised it is. Anything aside from following a few ongoing shows is pretty antisocial for Japanese people.

Honestly, look at my list of anime. Consider this, I never went to anime conventions, bought anime merchandise of any sort. There was no difference between my room and a Normies back in HS (I say that as now I live with my Fiancee who has a shitload of Figures with ASS and TITS everywhere so....can't compare). The only reason you would know I watch anime if you were my friend was from me telling you about series I've watched, not from my room.

So no, i wouldn't consider you a weeb from just the amount you watch. In fact I would consider a person who just watched naruto ONLY, had a shitload of figures and closet cosplays in the downtown area more of a weeb.
Feb 21, 2017 4:45 AM

Feb 2016
I think you are "save" as long as you don't start acting like a japenese and throw in random japenese words in your sentences lol.
Feb 21, 2017 6:40 AM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
The fact you use 'weeb' is more worrying. You use a word that defines its user to be incapable of having fun.

Do you know what do we do to people who use 'weeb'? We leave them whining in their computer about 'weebs' while we party.

You don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid. The word does not define that. If weebs can't have fun then that's ridiculous.

I think you're being quite antisocial in your reply here. I know you're being attacked on the forums right now but that's no excuse to be antisocial on other people's threads.
Feb 21, 2017 7:40 AM

Aug 2015
If you're asking this question you're probably knocking on the weeaboos' door with them chanting from the inside "One of us! One of us!"
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Feb 21, 2017 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
NoobAsian said:
If you're asking this question you're probably knocking on the weeaboos' door with them chanting from the inside "One of us! One of us!"

lol, the stereotypical weeaboo gathering
Feb 21, 2017 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

This "You said a word I dislike and it hurt my feelings, you're a poopoo meanyhead who can't have fun" shit is getting quite tiresome, old chap. I'd advise you not to get so offended over a simple word. Also, I don't see much "partying" or "fun" happening with you, all you ever seem to do, ironically, is whine on the internet about people using a word you get offended over. You seem like a very negative person who, quite honestly, would kill any fun.

OT: Do whatever you want, be a weeb, I honestly don't care. I don't think it's weeb to watch a lot of anime, it's more weeb to do shit like LARPing, spazzing out in public spaces, etc etc. I frankly would rather not associate with weebs as my interests and weeb interests start and stop crossing over at anime.
ThrashMattoFeb 21, 2017 1:14 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Feb 21, 2017 11:33 AM
Jan 2016
I don't believe you are one if you watch a lot of anime in general
Feb 21, 2017 11:51 AM

Dec 2009
Watching a lot of anime has nothing to do with being a weeb. Being a weeb has to do with behaviours, obsessions, and lack of cultural knowledge.

For example, someone like myself has watched ~900 anime, and i act nothing like what most weeaboos do. I'm a normal person who takes akiba culture seriously and despises both ignorance and the foolish actions of weebs who give people who actually understand and care about the akiba meta-culture.

Weeaboo : a fool who obsesses about particular anime, wants to be in anime, knows nothing about the culture, generally obnoxious
Otaku : someone who's obsessed witha particular hobby, can be obnoxious of humble, named due to their dedication.
Akiba-kei : someone who's dedicated to akiba-culture and can be considered knowledgeable bout it.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Feb 21, 2017 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
Is all subjective, so no needs to concerns yourselves. Unless it affects you in a negative way. And only then.
I don't even
Feb 21, 2017 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Lol, You're a weeb just for having an account on this fucking website
Feb 21, 2017 12:44 PM

Nov 2015
if you know what weeb is, you are a weeb
Feb 21, 2017 12:58 PM

Feb 2016
Maybe my understanding of what a weeb is is different, but just watching a ton of anime doesn't make you a weeb.
SaucyFeb 21, 2017 1:58 PM

Feb 21, 2017 1:15 PM

Oct 2007
GenesisAria said:
Watching a lot of anime has nothing to do with being a weeb. Being a weeb has to do with behaviours, obsessions, and lack of cultural knowledge.

For example, someone like myself has watched ~900 anime, and i act nothing like what most weeaboos do. I'm a normal person who takes akiba culture seriously and despises both ignorance and the foolish actions of weebs who give people who actually understand and care about the akiba meta-culture.

Weeaboo : a fool who obsesses about particular anime, wants to be in anime, knows nothing about the culture, generally obnoxious
Otaku : someone who's obsessed witha particular hobby, can be obnoxious of humble, named due to their dedication.
Akiba-kei : someone who's dedicated to akiba-culture and can be considered knowledgeable bout it.

When I was in Japan 3 weeks ago I went to Nakano one evening and there was a mob of Americans in the station and all the girls were wearing cat ears. I have never cringed so hard in my life. They were clearly weeaboos because they were openly demonstrating that they didn't know/care that wearing cat ears in a normal train station in Japan is not socially acceptable. Even in Akiba none of the Japanese people wore cosplay or anime shirts, aside from the women who were trying to lure people into the cosplay cafes they worked at.

On that same day I went to Nakano I spent well over 30,000 yen on anime figures and merch, but I'm not a weeb because I don't behave like an absolute disgrace.
Feb 21, 2017 1:24 PM

Aug 2016
lmao you watch anime? what a nerdd ;P
Feb 21, 2017 1:52 PM

Sep 2013
There's a point at which you pity those that still find some sense of sarcastic humour in this.
Feb 21, 2017 3:16 PM

Dec 2009
Kuromii said:
GenesisAria said:
When I was in Japan 3 weeks ago I went to Nakano one evening and there was a mob of Americans in the station and all the girls were wearing cat ears. I have never cringed so hard in my life. They were clearly weeaboos because they were openly demonstrating that they didn't know/care that wearing cat ears in a normal train station in Japan is not socially acceptable. Even in Akiba none of the Japanese people wore cosplay or anime shirts, aside from the women who were trying to lure people into the cosplay cafes they worked at.

On that same day I went to Nakano I spent well over 30,000 yen on anime figures and merch, but I'm not a weeb because I don't behave like an absolute disgrace.

Well frankly, there's nothing wrong with standing out and being yourself in a non-disruptive manner... If they were near akihabara, it's not out of place there (they were probably doing a Tokyo round trip)... But these people were most likely pretty small-minded weebs who were having their fist time japan trip. Keep in mind that most japanese otaku are voluntarily reserved about their hobbies, not because it being socially unacceptable so much as a stretch in boldness. Many japanese otaku would either envy how westerners can be so open about it, or find it bothersome because they believe those hobbies should be private.

Japan's a confusing place, because there's a billion and one separate interest groups who motivate different trends and opinions (sometimes political), in every which way. At times it can seem like the place is run by a bunch of gossiping schoolgirls, because the mindsets of people at a particular time can be fickle and fleeting.

Point is, a bunch of tourists being weebs is not like some kind of atrocity, it's just something that bothers certain people (unless they're being loud and obnoxious and breaking all the rules because they "can't read", even though most signs have english as well)... Cat ears is better than full costume (those electronic ears that reacted to your emotions were actually a trend at one point), and isn't automatically associated with "otaku" because that stuff can come on regular tv ads too.

Edit:
A side note, weebs usually are ones that only watch the popular anime or ones that come on western tv, then are obsessive about them. Once you reach a critical mass of anime, you usually graduate from weebdom because you learn.
GenesisAriaFeb 21, 2017 3:57 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Feb 21, 2017 3:18 PM

Feb 2017
cav said:
lmao you watch anime? what a nerdd ;P

u wot m8? i dont have glasses, me no nerd
Feb 21, 2017 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
Kuromii said:

There isn't any country, where this is "socially accaptable". So, what's your point? XD

I live in Vienna and leave the house in a full dressed cosplay or costume three to five times a year anyay (+ halloween and carneval) to go to a convention, because it's more comfortable to get ready at home and everybody does.
It's not that unusual, but it's also not an ordinary sight you would get in everyday life.

It depends more on your behavior. If you aren't screaming and squeaking like a twelve year old, hyperactive fangirl, people will just look closely, if your cosplay is out-standing and flashy.
Some will like it and give you compliments, other people are negative, but a population has never a homogenous opinion. Neither in Austria nor in Japan, I bet.
But no, I wouldn't do this in Japan, because I will have better things to do than going on some conventions.
And if they don't want you to, you have to behave as a guest.
However, you don't behave like an absolute disgrace, because you're wearing anime ears. You need far, far more to earn such a title in general. XD
removed-userFeb 21, 2017 3:28 PM
Feb 21, 2017 3:41 PM

Feb 2016
No

Its still sad but not weeb

It says a lot about how boring your life is

Anime to me if I enjoy it I will pick the most exquisite of Anime out there.

Become an anime connisiour like me. Why be a normie and watch distasteful shows.

Lets rewatch End of Evangelion and disect how Hideaki Anno is a marvelous man and a genius

Forget your waifu rem.
Feb 21, 2017 3:53 PM

Aug 2016
Ballardo said:

u wot m8? i dont have glasses, me no nerd

oh really bc i did some research and discovered otherwise
Feb 21, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2017
@cav

damn you realy took your time to make that *impressed*

Feb 21, 2017 4:35 PM

Nov 2016
I think weeb goes a lot more into your behavior and outlook on anime-culture. Watching a lot of anime just makes you a nerd, which most of us here on MAL are.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Feb 21, 2017 4:50 PM

Feb 2017
Mayling said:
I think weeb goes a lot more into your behavior and outlook on anime-culture. Watching a lot of anime just makes you a nerd, which most of us here on MAL are.

Usualy the term nerd is used to people that do ''uncool stuff'' or dont do popular stuff. Watching or doing something a lot because you enjoy it doesnt make you a nerd in my opinion.
Maybe people tend to use the word ''nerd'' because they think anime is uncool or childish
Feb 21, 2017 4:55 PM

Nov 2016
Ballardo said:
Mayling said:

Usualy the term nerd is used to people that do ''uncool stuff'' or dont do popular stuff. Watching or doing something a lot because you enjoy it doesnt make you a nerd in my opinion.
Maybe people tend to use the word ''nerd'' because they think anime is uncool or childish

Then you see the term slightly different than me. Here its more used about someone who is slightly obsessive or very into their hobby/field/whatever, and not necessarily used in a negative way.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Feb 21, 2017 4:57 PM

Feb 2017
Mayling said:
Ballardo said:

Then you see the term slightly different than me. Here its more used about someone who is slightly obsessive or very into their hobby/field/whatever, and not necessarily used in a negative way.

Hmm, ye that does make a lot difference in terms of using the word. Here iin netherland its like what i described.
Feb 21, 2017 7:34 PM

Apr 2015
It alone isn't weebish, but doing that in addition to having a mad obsession with other facets of Japanese culture sure counts.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 22, 2017 12:21 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

This "You said a word I dislike and it hurt my feelings, you're a poopoo meanyhead who can't have fun" shit is getting quite tiresome, old chap. I'd advise you not to get so offended over a simple word. Also, I don't see much "partying" or "fun" happening with you, all you ever seem to do, ironically, is whine on the internet about people using a word you get offended over. You seem like a very negative person who, quite honestly, would kill any fun.

OT: Do whatever you want, be a weeb, I honestly don't care. I don't think it's weeb to watch a lot of anime, it's more weeb to do shit like LARPing, spazzing out in public spaces, etc etc. I frankly would rather not associate with weebs as my interests and weeb interests start and stop crossing over at anime.

Pessimistic philosophy doesn't necessarily lead to a bad life.

I stand by what I said, though. All these people using 'weeb' seem just too scared to like anime with all its glory and ridiculousness. I get it, internet irony seems clever and all but so what? Memes are about music are never as good as the music itself.

SubcompactCrat said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid. The word does not define that. If weebs can't have fun then that's ridiculous.

I think you're being quite antisocial in your reply here. I know you're being attacked on the forums right now but that's no excuse to be antisocial on other people's threads.

Not as antisocial as people who have to categorize everything as 'weeb' because they worry about the tough internet image.

Love the shit out of anime. What's wrong with that?
Feb 22, 2017 1:57 AM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Not as antisocial as people who have to categorize everything as 'weeb' because they worry about the tough internet image.

It's not about that, it's about how people would view you. If you don't care about that at all then to each their own.
Feb 22, 2017 1:59 AM

Jun 2014
SubcompactCrat said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's not about that, it's about how people would view you. If you don't care about that at all then to each their own.
To be fair the term is overused to a sickening extent.
Feb 22, 2017 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
First of all, weeb is a stupid word, yes it is kind of a in "joke" (I am really not sure whether it can be called a joke since there is no structure or punchline but for the lack of a better word) in the anime community but it is overused and not funny to begin with.

Second of all, what would you define as too much? most people here watch anime somewhat regularly and people who "care" (for the lack of a better word... again) about anime (reviewers or just people who consider anime their primary source of entertainment) are also somewhat present, people who watch anime at a really high rate are somewhat rare but here is a thing to remember, is anime the only medium they consume? people who only play video games will play the a lot more than people who also read books and watch movies, goes the same for anime.

Third of all, why should we even care?

And finally to answer your question in a very simple way: No
Feb 22, 2017 2:27 AM

Jun 2015
ThrashMatto said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I was about to put some vinegar in that jar, but guess you got there 1st eh?

@op
just being anime obsessed makes you an otaku and not a weeb you retard.
Feb 22, 2017 3:35 AM

Oct 2007
Maneki-Mew said:
Kuromii said:

There isn't any country, where this is "socially accaptable". So, what's your point? XD

I live in Vienna and leave the house in a full dressed cosplay or costume three to five times a year anyay (+ halloween and carneval) to go to a convention, because it's more comfortable to get ready at home and everybody does.
It's not that unusual, but it's also not an ordinary sight you would get in everyday life.

It depends more on your behavior. If you aren't screaming and squeaking like a twelve year old, hyperactive fangirl, people will just look closely, if your cosplay is out-standing and flashy.
Some will like it and give you compliments, other people are negative, but a population has never a homogenous opinion. Neither in Austria nor in Japan, I bet.
But no, I wouldn't do this in Japan, because I will have better things to do than going on some conventions.
However, you don't behave like an absolute disgrace, because you're wearing anime ears. You need far, far more to earn such a title in general. XD

You seem to have missed my point. These people thought it was normal and completely OK to wear cat ears simply because they were in Japan. Its like some anglophile coming to England and wearing a top hat because "the English wear them", even though we don't.

No, wearing cat ears in a busy train station isn't the worst thing you can do, but I was still embarrassed.
Feb 22, 2017 3:54 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Yes I'm proof
No would say people offended
But the truth they'd better've accepted

Feb 22, 2017 6:12 AM

Jun 2015
I Summon @EcchiLordMamster for this thread.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 22, 2017 6:17 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Takamura-sama said:
I Summon @EcchiLordMamster for this thread.

LOL

well i mean, you can watch a ton of anime and still not know shit about Japan, so no, probably not
Feb 22, 2017 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Kuromii said:
Maneki-Mew said:

You seem to have missed my point. These people thought it was normal and completely OK to wear cat ears simply because they were in Japan. Its like some anglophile coming to England and wearing a top hat because "the English wear them", even though we don't.

No, wearing cat ears in a busy train station isn't the worst thing you can do, but I was still embarrassed.

But they are not blind So, they will see, if everyone else wears them and take them off. XD

Srsly, a friend lives in Japan for a year and she told us that many young women wear too short skirts and too much make-up in a way that doesn't look tasteful for european standards. Combined with some really weird shit on TV, they shouldn't play this prude and look down on people, who leave their house in a cosplay or just cheesy ears imo. ^^"

I just wouldn't act like this either, because I don't want to get unnecessary attention as a foreigner and you must also accept other people's will. You are also able to critize their thoughts and actions tho.
Feb 22, 2017 9:49 AM

Mar 2012
Weeb DOES NOT EQUAL an Anime Otaku.
Watching a lot of Anime(though how much is a lot?) would make you an Anime Otaku/Geek/Nerd take your pick.
A Weeaboo is someone who is OBSESSED WITH ALL THINGS JAPAN (the food the clothes, the music, the fashion, the language and yes anime as well), a Weeaboo would also wish to be Japanese themselves and would proclaim that Japanese culture is superior to all others.
So can people stop fucking mixing up the two of them. I'm fed up of having to fucking explain this all the time.
Feb 22, 2017 9:51 AM

Aug 2016
uhh just from my experience and seeing others do the same when you first "find out" about anime you generally watch all the good series in like 2 mnths then slow down from there but if you are still going full throttle i think that might be considered weeb lol idk tho
Feb 22, 2017 10:25 AM

Apr 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
ThrashMatto said:

I was about to put some vinegar in that jar, but guess you got there 1st eh?

@op
just being anime obsessed makes you an otaku and not a weeb you retard.

Wait really :o that is interesting.
Feb 22, 2017 12:27 PM

Apr 2014
well considering anime and a little manga is the only part of the culture i really care about i guess not :[
Feb 23, 2017 1:12 AM

May 2015
SubcompactCrat said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

In real life it seems people perceive me as the opposite of antisocial.

Just because I find the usage of the word 'weeb' to be moronic and sad doesn't make me antisocial. I don't see people use it to describe something other than 'some dude who like anime'. The whole think exploded via a Filthy Frank video, who is as fun as going through Jeffrey Dahmer's fridge.
Feb 23, 2017 1:27 AM

Oct 2016
no this is weeb you casual normie
. yup yup yup yup yup

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 8 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
21 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
23 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.