Forum Settings
Forums

Which newer (everything post 2010) title are promising enough to become something that will last for years?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 16, 2017 1:18 AM

Jan 2014
Monogatari series, Mushishi final season, Barakamon, and Redline (ok, it's from 2009)

Red_Tuesday said:
Plenty of anime already classics in this time frame, such as Nichijou, Kokoro Connect, the Haruhi movie, Hanasaku Iroha, Non Non Biyori, Hyouka, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun, Sakurasou, Steins;Gate, No Game no Life, for example, in that order.

Hyouka and the Haruhi movie, yes. Loved Gekkan Shoujo personally, but I don't think it has enough of a following to become a classic.

That's the problem really. I can think of a few titles that will always be my classics too, but they will most likely not become general classics:

Jormungand, Kotonoha no Niwa, Sakamichi no Apollon, Subete ga F, and an honourable mention for Tasogare Otome (enjoyable, but not good enough)

Psajdak said:
Anyway, I know Sword Art Online, as well as Madoka series were popular for some years now, and I believe it will continue to be, but I don't know any other...

SAO's popularity is allready dying, mainly because of poor follow ups. It will last another few years, but not decades.

Same goes for Attack on Titan. That series' popularity rode entirely on shock, and it's just not going to be shocking anymore some 20 years ahead.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 16, 2017 1:24 AM

Nov 2013
Perhaps Another. Because there aren't a lot of Horror modern anime that quiet got attention like that. Also because the other popular stuff like Higurashi or Elfen Lied are too old too bother.

And Steins Gate too for same reason
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Feb 16, 2017 1:38 AM

Apr 2011
Rievlyne said:
Perhaps Another. Because there aren't a lot of Horror modern anime that quiet got attention like that. Also because the other popular stuff like Higurashi or Elfen Lied are too old too bother.

It got attention as an unwitting comedy, not as a horror.
Feb 16, 2017 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
Boku no Hero Academia, RE:Zero, maybe Mob Psycho 100?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 16, 2017 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Madoka and Steins;Gate come to mind. Not so sure about SAO.
Feb 16, 2017 1:51 PM

Nov 2014
I honestly expect Teekyuu to keep going on forever despite the fact that nobody is watching it. I mean, I expected the seventh season and Usakame to mark the fitting end of the franchise as an anime, but Teekyuu 8 just kept trucking along like nothing has changed.
Feb 16, 2017 2:21 PM

Jun 2016
Attack on titan pretty much fits the bill,it's still super popular after 4years and most likely it will keep its popularity.
Feb 16, 2017 4:23 PM

Oct 2013
Laionidas said:
Monogatari series, Mushishi final season, Barakamon, and Redline (ok, it's from 2009)

Red_Tuesday said:
Plenty of anime already classics in this time frame, such as Nichijou, Kokoro Connect, the Haruhi movie, Hanasaku Iroha, Non Non Biyori, Hyouka, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun, Sakurasou, Steins;Gate, No Game no Life, for example, in that order.

Hyouka and the Haruhi movie, yes. Loved Gekkan Shoujo personally, but I don't think it has enough of a following to become a classic.

That's the problem really. I can think of a few titles that will always be my classics too, but they will most likely not become general classics:

Jormungand, Kotonoha no Niwa, Sakamichi no Apollon, Subete ga F, and an honourable mention for Tasogare Otome (enjoyable, but not good enough)

Psajdak said:
Anyway, I know Sword Art Online, as well as Madoka series were popular for some years now, and I believe it will continue to be, but I don't know any other...

SAO's popularity is allready dying, mainly because of poor follow ups. It will last another few years, but not decades.

Same goes for Attack on Titan. That series' popularity rode entirely on shock, and it's just not going to be shocking anymore some 20 years ahead.

Nice try, go tell that to manga readers, and they will laugh at you. but the shock factor was just at the beginning of the series, snk still has shocking moments, but it has really move on from that tbh. snk plot twist and mystery is what is keeping it going. The manga is still going strong, so if you think the series is just about shock factor, then you are sorely mistaken.

And your point is irrelevant for both snk and sao, both are still going strong, and of course once they are both over, they wont be hype up anymore, but I think the better word op should have use is memorable

These two series has brought in a lot of new anime fans into the medium, and also are mega hit series in their time. if you don't think these series should be on the list, then Monogatari series, Mushishi final season, Barakamon, and Redline will definitely not make the cut. Their are way more hardcore snk and sao fans just like myself than your monogotari fans, mushishi fans ect. Not all of snk fans are hype train tards that jump on bandwagon and come off as soon as the hype dies.

If you take out your personal opinion aside, then you should agree with me, the first season of snk aired in 2013, the second season will air 4 years after the first season, and it still has a lot of following, and by time all 3 season air, snk anime will have last for 10 years.

And if the ending for snk season 3 is impacful enough, it will be memorable series. Both snk and sao is also one of the most recommended anime for new anime watchers, along side series like death note and cowboy bebop for eg.

I know I told you before that snk does more than just shock factor as you are claiming, and you are basically viewing the series on the surface level. I like how a anime only watcher talks as if he already knows what the series is about, let me tell you, you know absolute shit about the series. Titans eat human, that is all you know about the series, and that is just the surface level of the series.
keragammingFeb 16, 2017 4:35 PM
Feb 17, 2017 2:26 AM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:

Nice try, go tell that to manga readers, and they will laugh at you. but the shock factor was just at the beginning of the series, snk still has shocking moments, but it has really move on from that tbh. snk plot twist and mystery is what is keeping it going. The manga is still going strong, so if you think the series is just about shock factor, then you are sorely mistaken.

And your point is irrelevant for both snk and sao, both are still going strong, and of course once they are both over, they wont be hype up anymore, but I think the better word op should have use is memorable

These two series has brought in a lot of new anime fans into the medium, and also are mega hit series in their time. if you don't think these series should be on the list, then Monogatari series, Mushishi final season, Barakamon, and Redline will definitely not make the cut. Their are way more hardcore snk and sao fans just like myself than your monogotari fans, mushishi fans ect. Not all of snk fans are hype train tards that jump on bandwagon and come off as soon as the hype dies.

If you take out your personal opinion aside, then you should agree with me, the first season of snk aired in 2013, the second season will air 4 years after the first season, and it still has a lot of following, and by time all 3 season air, snk anime will have last for 10 years.

And if the ending for snk season 3 is impacful enough, it will be memorable series. Both snk and sao is also one of the most recommended anime for new anime watchers, along side series like death note and cowboy bebop for eg.

I know I told you before that snk does more than just shock factor as you are claiming, and you are basically viewing the series on the surface level. I like how a anime only watcher talks as if he already knows what the series is about, let me tell you, you know absolute shit about the series. Titans eat human, that is all you know about the series, and that is just the surface level of the series.

That SNK was memorable for you and a lot of others does little good on the long term. We're talking decades here, and one cohort of anime watchers that remember it is going to make it being watched by new anime watchers in the future.

Regarding manga, we' re not talking manga here, so unless SNK comes with another season or two in which this supposed depth is translated to screen, and in which it is done so properly, that won't matter.

Seems I hit a nerve though.
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 17, 2017 2:31 AM

Mar 2015
i think better measure is how much it popularity maintanced over the years even after hit their peak... and easier information we get is original source sells...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 17, 2017 3:39 AM

Jan 2015
Any long running hype shounen that appeals to the masses, as always. Nothing new

Feb 17, 2017 5:55 AM

Oct 2013
Laionidas said:
keragamming said:

That SNK was memorable for you and a lot of others does little good on the long term. We're talking decades here, and one cohort of anime watchers that remember it is going to make it being watched by new anime watchers in the future.

Regarding manga, we' re not talking manga here, so unless SNK comes with another season or two in which this supposed depth is translated to screen, and in which it is done so properly, that won't matter.

Seems I hit a nerve though.

I could say the same for the anime you listed though, the thing you don't realise is that snk is one of the most recommended anime for new anime watchers, even people that dislike it still recommends it. Look at mal popularity rank for eg, it continues to grow in terms of popularity, it is a gateway anime like death note for eg.

To your last paragraph, bringing up the manga makes sense because you talk assuming their wont be anymore season. When you know one is already confirmed for April.

Don't get it twisted the first season of snk has a lot of depth in it, but it was very subtle in what is was doing, it is the foundation for what is to come in the second and final season. The rewatch value for season 1 really matters after you are further ahead in the series, it will automatically give you a different perspective of the first season.

The very end of the first episode of season 2 will throw a curveball at the audience, that will make your imagination run wild and will automatically make the audience re-evaluate the entire series overall.

I just hope the forum mods will keep a close eye on the snk sub forum, because I know some manga readers will try and spoil things for anime only watchers.
keragammingFeb 17, 2017 6:01 AM
Feb 17, 2017 6:17 AM

Feb 2016
Excluding sequels my guesses would be probably OPM, AoT, the Fate franchise, Madoka, Steins;Gate, HxH 2011, JoJo, Ping Pong and I wonder about Tokyo Ghoul/Future Diary but well see in 3 years :)

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 17, 2017 6:35 AM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
To your last paragraph, bringing up the manga makes sense because you talk assuming their wont be anymore season. When you know one is already confirmed for April.

No I don't know, because frankly, I haven't followed further SNK developments. Even so, like I said, we'll still have to see how that season turns out.

keragamming said:
Don't get it twisted the first season of snk has a lot of depth in it, but it was very subtle in what is was doing, it is the foundation for what is to come in the second and final season. The rewatch value for season 1 really matters after you are further ahead in the series, it will automatically give you a different perspective of the first season.

Well, that's personal I guess, and something I beg to differ on.

keragamming said:
The very end of the first episode of season 2 will throw a curveball at the audience, that will make your imagination run wild and will automatically make the audience re-evaluate the entire series overall.

I really think you're running ahead of things here. We can't yet know how it is going to be adapted, let alone how it is going to affect people. I'll watch season two myself, but even if it retro-inserts a deeper plot into season one, I doubt that it's going to make me up my rating for the latter. Season one is still season one, with all the fun that it was and all the flaws that it had.

Regarding your earlier comment that "I know shit about the series": so what? You can't expect anyone to appreciate an anime season for stuff that is supposed to happen outside of the season. I am indeed an anime only watcher, and we were discussing anime here, so I rated the anime. If your fanboyism can't handle that, that's your problem.

keragamming said:
I could say the same for the anime you listed though, the thing you don't realise is that snk is one of the most recommended anime for new anime watchers, even people that dislike it still recommends it.

Ok, where are these recommendation "statistics" coming from, and how on earth can you deduct that from the anime I listed? I personally dislike Code Geass, but I won't deny it has allready become one of the best known and most recommended post-2000 anime. The same goes for Death Note, which I have never even felt compelled to watch.
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 17, 2017 8:55 AM

Oct 2013
@Laionidas I know the chapter the first episode will adapt, and it is even confirmed, because I have seen the cover scrip for the first episode of season 2.

All I was saying is that you were wrong on what you said about snk, because you can't make a statement like that because you don't know how the rest of the seasons will turn out.

That will be like saying code geass season 1 wont last long because it didn't have a impacful or actual ending, when the series isn't completed yet and it still has its final season to air, which most agree that it had a very impacful ending.

These statistics are everywhere including mal, snk, death note and sao gain the most amount of members every day, why is that? Because they are the top recommended anime.

I have seen many threads where people ask for recommendation, not just mal, but reddit, youtube ect, for new anime watchers, and in the comment section, these are being mention the most. Snk, death note, fmab, cow boy bebop, code geass and sao.

If you should make a thread asking for gateway anime for new fans, those series will be mention the most, there is no denying it, this is facts. Back in the 2000s the big 3 would have been the top recommended anime, but now people are not recommending those because of their length.
keragammingFeb 17, 2017 9:01 AM
Feb 18, 2017 10:13 AM

Sep 2013
Isekai like overlord, re:zero, ngnl etc...
Feb 18, 2017 11:18 AM

Jan 2016
I think Steins;Gate has enough impact(at least for many people) to have a staying power like the shows you mentioned. I won't be surprised if this is considered a classic a decade later.
Feb 18, 2017 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
One Punch Man, My Hero, and Re:Zero have a shot at long lasting popularity. If the Madoka prequels/spin offs get animated then Madoka would be in the same category as well.
Feb 20, 2017 8:03 AM

Apr 2010
Guess magi and Durarara (though it's from 2009)

Feb 20, 2017 8:33 AM

May 2015
Laionidas said:
I don't know about that, there's a lot of shock in Attack on Titan. Even now in the manga it still rides on shock factor.

In 20 years it will likely be the show that nostalgiafags and elitist watch :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2013
this is what I think will still be watched in 10 years:
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Ping Pong the Animation
Re: Zero
Jojo
Mob Psycho 100
Barakamon
91 Days
Zankyou no Terror
Space Dandy
Psycho-Pass
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Plastic Memories
Yahari Ore no Seishun...
Shirobako
Feb 20, 2017 1:23 PM

Apr 2014
probably opm
no one expected it to get so popular so fast especially considering the original drawings by the mangaka lol
if/when it comes back out its probably (hopefully) not gonna be a one cour
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 3 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
3 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by TRC_Randy »»
4 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

32 by nishant0 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.