Forum Settings
Forums

Does your taste in Anime change as you grow older?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 12, 2017 6:34 AM

Jul 2014
Frankly yes.....i used to watch a ton of action/adventure like fairy tail, gintama etc....but now i just watch comedy/slice of life and romance animes now.....i still watching adventure animes...but now i rarely watch action animes....
Feb 12, 2017 7:33 AM

Feb 2008
Wouldn't it be slightly worrying if someone's preference didn't change at all during a long period of time and continual exposure? I'd even argue that it's mostly for the better, as experience refines critical judgement over time, and potentially branches into new interests. It depends on the individual, but even genre/thematic bound fans evolve, and they start appreciating better things within their small field of interest.

I've been more into shounen in my late teens/early 20s, but I enjoy it even now, the only difference is that I'm more selective in what I watch. Same for "moe" shows. Ecchi was never my thing, though I did enjoy some shows for the comedy rather than the nudity. Over the years I've started to appreciate mecha, mahou shoujo and anime with a historical setting. At this point, I don't think that there is a single category or genre that I haven't seen at least one good show of. The labels started being less defining of how much I would enjoy something. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how I developed as an anime fan.

Feb 12, 2017 9:23 AM

Oct 2007
I don't think my taste has changed much, but I have definitely expanded on the number of genres I'm willing to check out as I got older.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Feb 12, 2017 9:33 AM

Jul 2016
It doesn't change it all. It just adds more and more.
Feb 12, 2017 9:38 AM

Jul 2013
I've begun to watch and read more mature anime/manga lately. I still watch 'children friendly' anime, but less often.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 12, 2017 9:44 AM

Mar 2012
Yes, it changes a lot. Used to love action shounen when I was younger now I'm starting to appreciate SoL, shoujo or anything that is about human relationships. I hated these types in the past. The only thing that didn't change is my love for dark, supernatural, horror anime but there aren't many good ones in that category.
Feb 12, 2017 9:54 AM

Jan 2017
Well, after few years in the navy and as im now first seargent, i know how much of the army things in animes are not true at all.
🙄
Feb 12, 2017 9:56 AM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
I used to enjoy ecchi back in the day but I no longer do. I think it has more to do with understanding gender and aesthetics better. Sexy women are awesome and all, but they don't make for great storytelling tools.
I had the same thinking, fan service and harems are just for making the anime move forward.
Feb 12, 2017 10:10 AM

Jan 2016
Some of the anime I enjoyed as a kid does not appeal to me now but other than that, no. My favorite genres of anime have not changed.
Feb 12, 2017 10:18 AM

Apr 2015
Yes. I used to watch ecchi shows when I was 10 and now I still watch them.

Woah woah woah, change? Oh, no. They don't.
Feb 12, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2016
corwin_r said:
Wouldn't it be slightly worrying if someone's preference didn't change at all during a long period of time and continual exposure? I'd even argue that it's mostly for the better, as experience refines critical judgement over time, and potentially branches into new interests. It depends on the individual, but even genre/thematic bound fans evolve, and they start appreciating better things within their small field of interest.

I would agree with that. I used to love (or maybe infatuate is a better term) overly ecchi Animes without a solid 'plot' like Rosario Vampire, as long as there's good fanservice.

I couldn't say the same now. Maybe I can watch some but I'll probably drop it midway unless it's a new weekly show.

Not because I changed doesn't mean my old preference was bad, it just basically changed because I was simply getting bored. It can be reversed for some people where they would change from solid plot Animes to the relaxing or fanservice-filled genres.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 12, 2017 4:20 PM

Feb 2016
I can't say it changed. I started with anime in my mid 20's so there was not much time to change anyway. I doubt the preference would significantly change even if I started with anime when I was a teenager, considering my favourite films have not changed drastically since teen age.
Feb 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Apr 2015
Mostly, I was just into the very shounen-like series back then; typically the battle kind like Bleach and Naruto, but never One Piece as the art style repulsed me something fierce. Artstyle was and is still quite important to me since it I'll be looking at it from 1 to X number of episodes, not to mention that I find it extraordinarily easy to predict whether or not something would keep my attention, as the art style usually exudes the intent of the material.

Nevertheless, I've just kinda grown more selective in what sort of series I want to look at and rarely indulge in the battle shounen stuff anymore, as it is normally too juvenile for me barring some exceptions. For some reason, I was also quite into "harem" like shows back then and not the super sexy kind. Clannad, Love Hina and Ichigo 100%, but I'm no longer into that either.

Nowadays, I can't really tell you what precisely I'm looking for; I'm much better at telling you what I'm not looking for.
Feb 12, 2017 4:39 PM
Jan 2016
Who knows... Maybe grown adults..? Dont ask me that ir might change or not im still 13 :)
LEGENDARY BAKA
Feb 12, 2017 4:51 PM

Oct 2016
Tylaen said:

Nowadays, I can't really tell you what precisely I'm looking for; I'm much better at telling you what I'm not looking for.

The animes that were repulsive to you when you were younger but now interests you is also included here :p

Feb 12, 2017 5:02 PM

Apr 2015
_xDane_ said:
Tylaen said:

The animes that were repulsive to you when you were younger but now interests you is also included here :p
I don't think I had any of those. The opposite? I don't think so either, but maybe to a less extreme degree.

I also kinda did not feel like writing anymore. My criteria is too vague to be interesting to anyone but myself.
Feb 12, 2017 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
Not really? For me while I have a different viewpoint on shows compared to years ago in the community, I still have the same taste to some degree or to some extent. :S
Feb 12, 2017 5:19 PM
Feb 2017
I'm 20 years old now, and I still enjoy the rom-com school anime that I enjoyed watching when I was 13(when I started watching anime/reading manga). I don't believe your taste as an otaku will change, rather it will evolve. After 7 years I just now started watching psychological mind fuck anime, along with the genres I preferred 7 years ago.
Feb 12, 2017 7:12 PM

Dec 2012
I started out by mainly watching shounen battle stuff like DBZ. I still enjoy things like that, but then just expanded my tastes into pretty much every other genre.

It was probably mostly due to the time I really got into anime (mid 90s-2010) where there was quite a bit of a variety of anime on television that was easily accessible, for instance all the shows aired on Toonami, Adult Swim, Anime Unleashed and the Encore networks. I got to see a whole bunch of different stuff within a short time period, like action, comedy, drama, fantasy, fanservice titles, harems, horror, martial-arts, mecha, philosophical, psychological mind screws, romance, sci-fi, supernatural, etc.

However, I was already a fan of a lot of those genres already just from watching a lot of domestic live action movies...
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 12, 2017 7:18 PM

Feb 2015
I just wished that I was some kind of a hentai series MC... but anyway... What...

Okay, now, I started from the ones I know and expanded it, looked through series from database and stuff like that, the ones I like were mainly, comedy/romance/CGDCT stuff like that... So I guess, "growing older" is the same as you venture more to the medium, not literally, you as a person grow, but well "maturing" is also part of it... But I think I got mine backwards... Mhhh... Now that's interesting... I dunno...
Feb 12, 2017 8:32 PM

Oct 2016
Funny that after reading all your replies, I somehow realized that I still yearn for a shade of romance of every anime I watch. Even it's focused on SOL, sports, battles or mechas lol.

(was really looking forward to see some romance-development on Haikyu! but yeah, no luck)

Oh well.. at least I still retained some of my old preference.

Feb 13, 2017 2:28 AM

Oct 2015
went from shitty generic romances, to quality animes like tatami ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 13, 2017 2:50 AM

Apr 2014
I was off and away from anime and this website (and still am) for a good 5 months now. In that time I think I became a lot more critical about the shows I've seen, even went and lowered almost all my 10/10's to a 9 and changed up my top ten a bit. Oh and I started watching Blue Gender and I think it's getting me into retro anime a bit.

TLDR people's tastes in anime is really sporadic and unpredictable.
Feb 13, 2017 2:54 AM
May 2016
I would say no, personally. Age has little to do with preference. Experience does. Experience with the medium and your personal life experience. Do these things come with age? Perhaps, but more so they come with effort.
Feb 13, 2017 3:02 AM
May 2015
Yes, back when I was 12 I think i really like harem , ecchi and shounen genres but now I'am 17 yrs old I can say that I prioritise moe anime's like gochiusa , kiniro mosaic when there are new series that will be shown.
Feb 13, 2017 3:55 AM

Feb 2016
Nah, I mean I still like battle shounen but I wouldnt watch a few hundreds of episodes of Fairy Tail now as I did back then. I even knew the lvl of quality it represents but somehow didnt value my time that much I guess. Now I drop everything that has no potential to score 6 or higher on my list.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 13, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2013
My taste pretty much stayed the same. Only I can't stand infomercials like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh anymore, but I didn't really liked them to begin with.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 13, 2017 4:18 AM

Sep 2016
I think that it does. When I first started watching anime, I watched bleach and fairy tail. You know, the typical shonen genre stuff. Now, I can't stand that genre. I prefer things more mature and serious. Back then I loved it, but as I found out about more anime and the different genres, my taste changed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2017 4:31 AM

Oct 2015
Anime_Spider said:
I think that it does. When I first started watching anime, I watched bleach and fairy tail. You know, the typical shonen genre stuff. Now, I can't stand that genre. I prefer things more mature and serious. Back then I loved it, but as I found out about more anime and the different genres, my taste changed.

>mature
>sees ass class, death note, kokoro connect, in fav
>sees he gave kimi no na wa, bleach, D.N angel, angel beats, anohana, UBW, owari on searph above 8

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ such maturity 100/10
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 13, 2017 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer Comedy and Shounen over Romance and Drama, but I enjoy all.

Genres I try my best to avoid are: Tragedy, Horror, Psychological. Depressing stuff.
I have nothing against Yuri and Ecchi, but they aren't my style.

I have been watching anime since the 1980s, and nothing has changed. Maybe the hours spent have reduced a bit, but thats it.
Feb 13, 2017 4:37 AM

Dec 2013
my taste changes according to my mood mostly because I "accidentaly' watched a very good anime specific to a certain genre... tho I still watch pretty much anything, currently I'm on epic hunger toward experimental anime and steampunk themed
Feb 13, 2017 4:41 AM

Jan 2015
I used to like slice of life but not anymore. Lol such a waste of time and boring. Especially the newer series.

I grew into cyberpunks and psychological anime/manga overtime. Was never into the deviant otaku fetishes like lolis and ecchi

Feb 13, 2017 5:09 AM

Nov 2014
Not only anime. I used to like serious and deep stuff when I was 14-18, but now I'm mostly interested in SoL's, comedy, cute girls and occasional ecchi. Ofc I still enjoy more serious anime every now and then, but if I started watching anime few years earlier, I'd probably heave all those "elitist" titles in my favourites.
Feb 13, 2017 5:45 AM
Nov 2015
Yes, yes it does.

I went from mostly fighting oriented anime to some others, comedy, harem, ecchi by the age of 20 or 21.

I didn't change preferences, i just added more to the list basically.

I think the first ecchi/harem i watched was highschool dxd, and it was pretty much the first anime to get me hooked up on that type of things. And to this very day i still consider it the best harem/ecchi anime out there, with some others being close (highschool of the dead and keijo for example).
Feb 13, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2016
For someone who had a couple of shonen airing on tv as a child, I would say that obviously I don't crave them as much as I used to do. There are some I enjoy but it's not like I would crave every moment of it of every repetitive and dragging episodes of every series I watch.

Now I like to watch stuff that makes me think, stuff that are pretty, etc. but not exclusively that kind of stuff and I like stupid comedies too I dunno.
Feb 13, 2017 5:47 AM

Sep 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Anime_Spider said:

>mature
>sees he gave kimi no na wa, bleach, D.N angel, angel beats, anohana, UBW, owari on searph above 8

As bleach and death note being the first anime I've seen, it is special to me. I give anime scores based on my enjoyment level.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2017 5:51 AM

Oct 2015
Anime_Spider said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

>mature

As bleach and death note being the first anime I've seen, it is special to me. I give anime scores based on my enjoyment level.

k minus bleach and death note, you
1. "Now, I can't stand that genre." minus the fact that shounen is a demographic and not a genre
ass class, and owari on searph are shouens, so nice contro
2.again kokoro connect, owari on searph sooo mature, you gave them high scores, means you enjoyed them no?
so much for enjoying mature and serious shit am i right
Feb 13, 2017 7:24 AM

Feb 2013
When i was a kid i only watched the shounenshit on tv, and rewatched them on pc

In high school i watched more psychological series

Now i watch everything and look down to both shounenfags and psychologicalfags
Feb 13, 2017 8:24 AM

May 2015
Shido_Uchiha said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I used to enjoy ecchi back in the day but I no longer do. I think it has more to do with understanding gender and aesthetics better. Sexy women are awesome and all, but they don't make for great storytelling tools.
I had the same thinking, fan service and harems are just for making the anime move forward.

I meant that, as storytelling tools showing me panty shots doesn't go nowhere. I love Megami magazine posters, but that's a whole different medium.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 13, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2015
I don't think my anime taste has changed that much, from what I like now compared to then. The biggest change perhaps is putting less priority on looking for action-focused shows, and becoming more OK with slice-of-life or other type of genres that don't necessarily involve a lot of fighting.
For the most part, shows I liked back then, I still like now. And I think shows I watch now, I'd probably have enjoyed back then, too.
Feb 13, 2017 2:28 PM

Aug 2009
I am female, age 21.

I don't know about anyone else but I've been watching anime since I was 11. So I have that as anecdotal evidence. My taste has changed from being very addicted to ANY and all, but mostly shounen like naruto, bleach, one piece, etc. Then at some point when I was in high school I got addicted to shoujo (a little addicted) which spiralled into me looking at josei.

So I went from liking naruto/bleach etc to being obsessed with shows like Hana yori dango, peach girl, paradise kiss, princess jellyfish, nodame cantabile (still love that one), his and her circumstances, honey to clover, nana, kamisama hajimashita, fruits basket, OHSHC, skip beat, etc. I also had something going with mecha anime. Not that many of them, but I really liked the aquarion series, eureka 7, line barrels of iron, gun x sword code geass.

Now that i'm in my 20s, I've tended to even all out, and mostly go for stuff that just looks good atm. I'm currently watching stray dogs, brigadoon (still love the mecha/scifi genre), Hayate no Gotoku (which is supremely hilarious), Hourou Musuko (i guess i like the art style). I'm tending towards over the top comedy right now. I also have a soft spot for some sol... although sol isn't good without romance or cooking haha.

Magical girl shows have never really been for me. Even when I was starting out, marathoning sailor moon, I thought it was just 'good' it wasn't fantastic like some of my favorites now.
Feb 13, 2017 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
mm not exactly for me, it stayed the same.
Feb 13, 2017 3:01 PM

Oct 2016
tenltd said:
I used to hate slice-of-life anime. Now, it's pretty much all I've been watching lately. If your tastes don't change as you get older, you're doing something wrong.

Or at least that's what most people (like us) think.. but after reading other users' replies here, it looks like we still need to learn what individuality means.

Too bad I didn't setup a poll for this question! It would be easier to see how many users did 'change' and how many stayed faithful to their preference.

Feb 13, 2017 3:05 PM

Aug 2011
Na, like T&A as much now as when I was 14 :P
^_^
Feb 13, 2017 3:44 PM

Jun 2015
I guess it does. For me at least. I mean most of my interests are roughly the same but there are some type of anime I would watch a decade ago but not now.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 13, 2017 4:37 PM

Apr 2016
Well in 5+ years I went from ecchi/action to nostalgia to comedy/action.

I always try mixing up what I watch but I guess my preference has changed.
Feb 13, 2017 5:06 PM

Nov 2014
I used to watch a lot of fanservice/harem/ecchi back when I started watching anime?? But now im. not about that life. I just want cute idols or fantasy.
Feb 13, 2017 9:58 PM

Oct 2015
I'm almost 21 and I love SciFi anime like Cowboy Bebop and Fantasy anime like Wolfs Rain and Full Metal Alchemist. I don't like harem but that's because I don't like romance.

My taste haven't really changed a ton, I really got into anime when I was 17 or 18 so I was interested in more mature shows from the get-go.

As a kid I loved Pokemon, I still like the first few seasons and movies.
Feb 13, 2017 10:13 PM
Apr 2015
When I was young, all I watched was fighting shounen.

As I got older, I became an ecchi lord ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 13, 2017 10:28 PM

Mar 2008
Not much, I can still enjoy the majority of anime that I liked as a child.
But I'd say my taste has expanded.. even though I barely have time lately to watch anything ;w;
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

2 by MadanielFL »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 3 hours ago

14 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 17 minutes ago

3 by billybub »»
5 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

48 by AzafuseKingTora »»
9 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

16 by billybub »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.