3It was OK
14.7%
2Disliked it
7.4%
1Hated it
2.9%
Average 4.1
136 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 5, 2017 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was intense. I think the episode explored more of Rose's character including her past and how it affected her present self especially with the way she reacted in that forest.

At least Sorey believes in her.
I still feel really bad for her past though. No wonder she's changed.
Feb 5, 2017 7:01 AM
Jan 2017
Rose Is A Mistake, Tales Of Zestiria Is A Mistake..
Feb 5, 2017 7:09 AM

Jul 2015
Only seven more and much to tell... = third season confirmed? If not...
Feb 5, 2017 7:17 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Rose had no chance at all from the start of her revenge. He was a hellion.

Realising that you couldn't get revenge yourself must have hurt her, she realised that there are things she can't do on her own anymore.
Feb 5, 2017 7:24 AM

Dec 2016
while I agree with those who don't like these last episodes revolved around rose, I have to say that THIS episode in particular has been the most intense and enjoyable so far this "2nd season" i enjoy every single second, we really have to give credit to ufo for the animation, couldn't help but getting marveled at the scenery. so damn beautiful..

Feb 5, 2017 7:46 AM

Dec 2014
Didn't really like this episode that much either, it was a problem in the game as well but now it's pretty annoying how this malevolence mcguffin is in everything, it's in the rain and seeping into the soil and all that? And you pretty much can't act a certain way almost like the bible commandments or whatever, but you turn into a monster if you disobey

Also about Rose and killing people I hope Sorey realities it's a necessary evil like he did in the game's story for whatever that was worth, the whole cliche of you "can't kill people" is a bit tiresome in my opinion
Feb 5, 2017 8:05 AM

Jun 2011
Okay, i've no idea what they're doing right now. There's only 7 eps left and the main plot hasn't progressed at all. How on earth are they doing to wrap this up?
Feb 5, 2017 8:08 AM

Dec 2013
Did something happen in the second half? I srsly fell asleep around 10:00.
Worst game adaptation 2017 (lmao).
Feb 5, 2017 8:11 AM

Jul 2012
Was thinking that Alisha's story was not the best thing, don't know what to say about Rose's story ... At the very least mb the flashback was not that bad.
Feb 5, 2017 8:12 AM

Jun 2016
I really like it, from someone who didn't play the game this anime is solid so far.
Feb 5, 2017 8:43 AM

Apr 2015
This episode in a gif :

Feb 5, 2017 9:11 AM

Aug 2011
I love Rose (specially in the game) but please can we see some progress in the plot :/

» Escapism.

Feb 5, 2017 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
This episode felt more like "Tales of Rose" to me. No complain, I liked it, makes me wonder how much will Rose change after this.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Feb 5, 2017 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
With Rose's subplot (hopefully) ended, I hope that next episode will move forward the story. Really, they expended 5 episodes just on that, I don't see what path this will take considering there are still a lot of things who needs to be resolved (Lunarre, Eizen, Zaveid, previous Sheperd, possible Berseria hints, Lord of Calamity, Alisha...). There are still 7 episodes, so let's pray ufotable manages to finish all those things in the remaining episodes.

At least the dick prince ended up being a Hellion, so him surviving that stab has sense.
Feb 5, 2017 9:33 AM

Jul 2014
As good as this episode was, the pacing was nothing short of appalling and I genuinely cannot fathom how they can do everything else in 7 episodes, especially if they cram in more Berseria again. I mean, this probably didn't need a whole episode when there are countless other plot threads still to be resolved.
Feb 5, 2017 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode.

Rose realizing that all the things she did might have been for naught because of the existence of malevolence must have been really hard on her. Was nice of Sorey to try and reassure her that she was still someone good.
The montage of her flashback contrasting with her current conflict was pretty nice, hope she can recover from this and help Sorey out from now on.

Hopefully we finally get the main plot moving now.
ScarRufus said:
This episode in a gif :

XD XD XD
Feb 5, 2017 10:21 AM

Sep 2016
dezel is (only) good in the skit as usual
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 5, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2007
And thus the clash of two mary sue "characters" comes to an end. Obviously in usual cases a mary sue protagonist would win, but the narrative has such a hard on for rose that in the end she ended up triumphing here over even a protagonist status gary stu.

The directing continues to be meh, the pacing continues to be awful slow crawl which is making me convinced that they are about to drop zestiria's mess of a story for something anime original. Which frankly is a right choice. not only there are not enough episodes to cover the rest of Zestiria plot bu tit is such a mess of nonsense that there's no way to "fix" it. Making an anime original final arc from here on out would be the logical path. As always, hopefully tied to Berseria and leading to proper glorious Berseria adaptation.
Feb 5, 2017 10:39 AM

Dec 2013
Fai said:
Which frankly is a right choice. not only there are not enough episodes to cover the rest of Zestiria plot bu tit is such a mess of nonsense that there's no way to "fix".

Bitch plz. You repeat it like mantra and it's getting worse every week (imho, episode 13 was kinda acceptable, episode 17 was just horrible). At this point, I'm watching this crap only cuz I liked the game. And, for God's sake, game storyline wasn't nearly as bad and boring as this.
Feb 5, 2017 10:49 AM

Jul 2007
Kamiyan3991 said:
Fai said:
Which frankly is a right choice. not only there are not enough episodes to cover the rest of Zestiria plot bu tit is such a mess of nonsense that there's no way to "fix".

Bitch plz. You repeat it like mantra and it's getting worse every week (imho, episode 13 was kinda acceptable, episode 17 was just horrible). At this point, I'm watching this crap only cuz I liked the game. And, for God's sake, game storyline wasn't nearly as bad and boring as this.

You are right. Instead of being boring, game's story was outright disjointed and incomprehensible.

So far they managed to make t he beginning have logical flow and trimmed some of the more silly and ridiculous "plots" from the game. The problem is that its still a mediocre narrative, even if improved and the pacing is awful. Most of which is a problem due to them still clinging to the game "plot".
Feb 5, 2017 10:58 AM

Jun 2014
After 5 episodes of me drifting in and out due to boredom, hopefully the plot will progress in some way. We've lost almost half the season on Rose's story, and frankly, I just don't, and still don't, really care about her.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 5, 2017 11:10 AM

Dec 2013
Fai said:
You are right. Instead of being boring, game's story was outright disjointed and incomprehensible.

Whatever. I don't expect good storyline from jrpg, so I couldn't care less. TBH, Tales of resemble hack'n'slash more. And I wouldn't say that Zestiria had so bad story as you doggedly claim here (too lazy to polemize with that).

Fai said:
Most of which is a problem due to them still clinging to the game "plot".

Bitch plz II. Second cour has nothing to do with game storyline. You need to change your dealer, I guess.
Feb 5, 2017 12:02 PM

Feb 2015
People overuse the word 'intense' far too often on here. Nothing 'intense' about this episode, in fact it was quite boring. The story as a whole is pretty weak, not helped by the fact Sorey is such a boy scout.

It's a waste of good animation, not saying its bad but its descending into mediocrity .
Feb 5, 2017 12:06 PM

Sep 2016
Crashmatt said:
People overuse the word 'intense' far too often on here. Nothing 'intense' about this episode, in fact it was quite boring. The story as a whole is pretty weak, not helped by the fact Sorey is such a boy scout.

It's a waste of good animation, not saying its bad but its descending into mediocrity .
they are using 'intense' and 'dramatic' OST on a lot of moment to give false sense of "intense" moment lol
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 5, 2017 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
SoreyXRose ! Rip Prince
Feb 5, 2017 1:07 PM

Jan 2014
Compared to a few lines and skits of Rose's backstory in the game, ufo gave her 3.5 fkin episodes. holy wow, based ufo

The phantoms in this episodes just kept me shouting "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" non-stop when Sorey tried to cleanse them off.
Can't shake off the Harry potter references lol

Anyways

ISKANDARRRRRRRRRRRR

For me this episode was intense and well paced, Rose's backstory was surprisingly greatly laid out and directed. I'm yet to play Alisha's DLC so I'm not sure whether it is anime original content or it's from the DLC. So basically everything was new to me.

Not really sure why folks in this forum keep on spitting when they have found that the show is destined to be bad for them, it's the second season already ffs.
Get a life or something else to watch.

s/n: Does this mean S3 confirmed rolf Sorey and buddies haven't even reached Pendrago yet and we have 8 eps left roflmao
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Feb 5, 2017 1:10 PM

Jan 2009
so thats the end of the Rose arc eh

necessary evil stuff was explained well by this arc
Feb 5, 2017 1:37 PM

Aug 2010
Seriously, why did the events of this episode need 21 minutes to be told?

Once again, like God Eater, ufotable's directors seem to mistake repeated long stretches of slow panning shots for meaningful silence. No matter how gorgeous you make these backgrounds, it will be dull sooner or later.

The message the episode conveyed isn't nearly as deep enough to give us these moments as if to "ponder" on it. If you can't have a deep thought provoking story, at least try to be entertaining. This is episode is just neither.
Feb 5, 2017 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
Melvin117 said:
Anyways

ISKANDARRRRRRRRRRRR
Heh, I thought Brad was voiced by the dude who voices Rider since the moment he started to talk, so happy to see I was right :)
Feb 5, 2017 1:56 PM

May 2013
Theorder14 said:

spoilers dude.
Also, Sorey wasn't consumed by vengeance. He felt pity for him. Rose on the other hand is out for revenge and blood. That's different.

This. Sorey killed him to save him and save others. Rose kills Konan for revenge, and it was only then during the mission where she found out that he was also involved in sketchy stuff did her motivation extend out for the sake of his victims. Rose isn't killing Konan for Konan's sake, but Sorey killing you-know-who is for you-know-who's sake. That does not contradict what Sorey embodies.

But as for the new episode, it was a missed opportunity for Rose to fill herself with malevolence seeing her contorted faces and flashbacks. Compare this assassination attempt with the one she executed on the bishop, and you'll see that she was composed in the latter.

I feel that Sorey's explanation of Rose cutting off her heart from the sin of murder resulting in no malevolence seemed contradictory to what Rose showed us in her kill. It shouldn't show her making those emotionally vengeful faces and mislead the viewers into thinking that she'll be hellionized. The prospect of Konan turning into a hellion seemed to not happen based on last episode...

This was an important episode for Rose's character development, but the show has lingered far too long in Rose's arc, especially with those many still shots filling up space for time. Her breakdown did not sway me in the least if that was what UFOtable was going for.

Sad enough to say, the consequences of Rose's actions in Zestiria's world potentially bear a huge negative impact because malevolence is a thing. I can't blame her ignorance.
Feb 5, 2017 2:25 PM

Dec 2012
Rose had a sad past. Brad meant so much to her.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 5, 2017 3:14 PM

Dec 2016
Character development episode for Rose.

It's only natural she could lose her way after Brad's death, he took her in and was basically her father.
Feb 5, 2017 3:35 PM

Jan 2011
i feel like i wouldn't of had much of a problem with this episode if the prior 3-4 weren't already a big focus on Rose each week i keep wondering how the hell are we even gonna cover everything in this season.
Feb 5, 2017 3:40 PM

Jul 2016
How many seasons this is going to have? This pacing is saying to me that it will need at least 4 seasons to get a satisfactory ending.
Feb 5, 2017 4:53 PM

Jul 2014
I'm fine with all the character development if they are going to do another season but if not......WTF are they doing?
Feb 5, 2017 5:30 PM

Jul 2016
I don't mind (well, a little) that they spent so many episodes focusing on Rose but damn, how are they even going to finish this without skipping/merging everything?

We really don't need this many episodes on Rose.

On a more positive note, it's pretty much over... their focus on Rose. I hope so.

Feb 5, 2017 6:32 PM

Oct 2011
Aww Rose . Hope for the pact with sorey soon
Feb 5, 2017 6:34 PM

Jun 2015
Rose got her revenge, but she still feels empty. We got to see more of her backstory. Her past is quite sad. She's also questioning whether her actions were for naught because of the malevolence. At least Sorey still believes in her.
Feb 5, 2017 8:00 PM

Oct 2016
damn intense episode .. and more of rose's past here and sorey talking to rose making rose think if she did that for nothing is quite sad after all her past is very bad .. dang
Feb 5, 2017 9:37 PM

Nov 2009
How long is this shit show going to patronize the viewer into thinking it presents some kind of deep moral dilemma when in fact it has the depth of a puddle... It's like their Fate stuff all over again except with an even more boring plot and cast of characters. Hell, I'm even willing to say that this makes Fate's writing seem Shakespearean in comparison (and that's including the memes).

Crashmatt said:

Thankfully, that's actually not the case since the animation is really nothing to write home about. In most scenes, you'd notice that the characters barely have any movements at all and when they do, it's only for a brief moment such as the action scenes or when it's emphasized by the CG special effects.
Feb 5, 2017 9:48 PM

May 2016
I'm not against the "killing is wrong no matter what" policy that Sorey and any other blandy'sh protagonist have. On the contrary I kinda follow it as well to an extent. My problem with it is that they never come with a logical reason to support it. It's like this:

Me: "Why shouldn't we kill no matter what?"
MC: Because YES!

There's actually some possible answers one could give to support this policy, but the people who follow it in anime don't actually have one, they just blindly follow the rule because...I don't know, idealism?

Besides that and the fact that plot is going so slow I have no idea how they're going to finish everything, this episode was fine.

And I'll still hold my belief that this adaptation is better than the game for now.

Also I feel like people overhate on Rose too much because her hair is blood red and the sight of it makes our brain evoke aggressiveness.
HyperLFeb 5, 2017 9:57 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 6, 2017 12:54 AM
Aug 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:
Did something happen in the second half? I srsly fell asleep around 10:00.
Worst game adaptation 2017 (lmao).

Kenchiin said:
I love Rose (specially in the game) but please can we see some progress in the plot :/

Crashmatt said:

As usual, nothing has happened. Worst adaptation ever for me.

I also really like Rose in the game but here she's so different! They totally changed her character. She looks like a depressive girl who only seeks for revenge. While in the game she's dynamic, she's the one who animates the band, etc... She only kills when she has to do it, she doesn't put her personal feelings.

I totally agree, it is useless to show such beautiful backgrounds and put epic music if the story is boring and a complete mess.

Glad to see that more and more people are understanding that the anime is not as good as most of the people were saying.

Lol I also thought about the dementors! xD
Feb 6, 2017 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
Judging by these past couple of episodes, is this series actually about Rose? lol
She sure is getting a lot of focus.
Feb 6, 2017 3:30 AM

Sep 2013
In the game, when Sorey found out Rose is an assassin, he be like "Well, that's ok I guess if that's how you live" but in this anime..."YOU CAN'T KILL NO MATTER WHAT!" ugh.... I don't mind change, but this change is just too much...
Where's Dezel friend who travel along Windriders anyway? He's supposed the reason of Dezel's revenge
And Rose hasn't made a Squire pact with Sorey either ffs
They probably will remove the Four Shrine too
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Feb 6, 2017 7:02 AM

Aug 2013
why in every zestiria episode it feels like its full of nothing

other than beautiful animation and OP ED song & awesome end skits
Feb 6, 2017 12:27 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Im surprised that the prince managed to survive Rose's first strike in the first place given that she would have had aimed at a vital point

For what that prince did to Rose and his friends he deserved death
Wow the price sure is tenacious isn't he
So the reason why he was that durable was because he was a hellion eh
No surprise there as his behavior is even more evil than most humans are

Man as a hellion he has as much skill as Rose in combat
Too bad that she wasn't able to kill him but since he's a hellion it will be hard
Good thing that Rose was saved by Sorey though
Rose is determined to end him personally eh

So as a hellion he gets heightened senses and a resistance to pain eh
at the same time he will still die when he takes a fatal wound
Since Rose stabbed him at least twice dealing fatal damage he should be dead

Seems Dezel seems to think so as well
Sometimes evil people cannot be removed without killing them
Killing is bad but at the same time it is sometimes necessary

Its great to see that Sorey is finally telling Rose what his beliefs as a Shepard is and also a little more background into Malevolence as well

By Sorey's reasoning every kind of emotion can cause Malevolence then
So anyone that denies these feelings and fights against them will not become a hellion then eh

It will be interesting to see what Dezel wants of Rose though
hmm so Dezels been possessing Rose to deal with the targets eh
So Dezel thinks that Rose is Brads successor eh
But at the same time Rose is also Brads puppet

Lailah is still the wisest of them there eh
so its seems Sergei's men share his opinions and views as well
many of them would be veterans of that horrible battle as well
still its right for Rose to be suspicious

Man that forest that they are going through is spooky
as expected the forest is full of malevolence too eh
hmm so the rain and malevolence has mixed in causing the forest to rot eh
Nasty piece of work there
no wonder the forest looks so gloomy

Sorey sure has gotten wiser though
sometimes its wiser to pass through undetected than fighting
but it seems that they already noticed the visitors then eh
too bad

Phantom wind eh
Since normal humans can't see it it will feel like wind to them
But shepherds like Sorey and Seraphs like Lailah will know better

So a result of Rose encountering Malevolence is that she's starting to question whether her work so far has been for naught eh
But it looks like Soreys words are starting to get through to Rose though

Wow that backward slash was amazing
But it looks like Rose is now in despair because of that
its unsurprising as Rose has spent ages trying to become strong

Man Rose must have had a harsh childhood
being left on a battlefield that stinks of death
I can see why Rose respected and looked up to Brad so much though
He did save her from that scumbag and he has his own set of rules that he lives by. To Rose Brad offered her a purpose and a place to belong as well.

Rose was cute when she little and its obvious that she enjoyed her time with Brad and her friends in the windriders.

The combat scenes in the forest while brief were pretty well done.

Pretty good episode
The fight between Rose and the prince turned out more surprising than i thought with him turning into a hellion of all things. But despite that as Lailah said the fatal wounds that Rose dealt him should have been able to kill him. The revelation that Rose was an assassin after all was the main part of this episode and seeing Sorey confront Rose over that was interesting as both have different sets of beliefs. At the same time seeing what Dezels wishes for Rose was also interesting. So Dezel wishes for Rose to be Brads successor eh.

The trip through the forest was better than i would expect with the fight against the malevolence there. Rose's reactions to them upon being told of them and then seeing them caused her cracks in her mask to widen even and cause her to have doubts as well as she realizes that all her work so far has been useless. I like they also intermingled her childhood and origins as well and i can see that she enjoyed her time with Brad as well. Seems that Rose has to find her reason to live once more then.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2013
A convenient time to become Hellion, Konan dies apparently and Rose doubts her existence/achievements in the face of malevolence.

Sorey's ideal of 'no kiiling whatever noble reason' is at odds with me, but he didn't state as to why a person who may descend spitefully as in to KILL someone, why he shouldn't do it.
Feb 6, 2017 3:22 PM

Jul 2015
-_Shiro_- said:
while I agree with those who don't like these last episodes revolved around rose, I have to say that THIS episode in particular has been the most intense and enjoyable so far this "2nd season" i enjoy every single second, we really have to give credit to ufo for the animation, couldn't help but getting marveled at the scenery. so damn beautiful..

I agree! I was blown away by the animation and details of this episode. :D

Feb 6, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2008
Ignoring the fact that Rose's part is the game was entirely different, we're just about where I stopped playing the game.

Seeing as how Sorey is using his wind form in the opening, I can only assume that he will still get it but not sure about the other thing which a few already blatantly mentioned.

One point makes me curious though, when Dezel was talking about Rose to the other 3, he says: "Whether it's for the world, or someone...", it sure focused a lot of Edna and you can see as her expression changes. I'm guessing it might be something related to her brother. Oh well, hopefully I figure that out by the time I finish Berseria.
Feb 6, 2017 5:14 PM
Jan 2015
Sorey is so naive it's not even funny. I like this series, but the ideals being shoved down are throats are extremely childish.
My Queens

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Apr 29, 2017

179 by hihappy »»
Aug 18, 2023 9:59 AM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2017

93 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2017

95 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:00 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

93 by Sasutaschi »»
Aug 6, 2023 12:55 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2017

85 by Dawizz »»
Nov 16, 2022 12:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.