Forum Settings
Forums

How friendly are the people of your country/city?

New
Jan 29, 2017 2:44 PM

Jul 2015
I think the people in Australia are generally quite friendly towards their own people and to outsiders, although you do get a few people who are pretty racist, but I'm guessing that every country has those kinds of people.
Jan 29, 2017 2:56 PM

Jan 2011
Overall friendly (talking about my zone) but there are always some prejudices against foreigners. About the whole country i would say it's still friendly and welcoming for foreigners but recent mass immigrantion increased the anger and prejudices towards migrants (and still my country has few migrants compared to others). It's also true that here migrant camps are not always good managed. Less welcoming and more "racists" people in my country can be found in small settlements and mountain zones while the medium/big cities are usually more opened.
Jan 29, 2017 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
Depends. Serbs are very angry, and swear a lot, but i think we're kinda nice, but more so towards guests.
It's tradition to be nice to your guest. If it's serb vs serb, he's gonna shame your entire family and kin, and call you horrible names just cuz you, for example, honked at him in traffic, but no one takes it to heart.
So again, it depends.
Jan 29, 2017 11:39 PM

Dec 2014
+1 to OP
Aussies are great. I mean, they're all really friendly, welcoming, have a good sense of humour. Generally speaking, that is.

Jan 30, 2017 6:06 AM

Jun 2016
From what I can gather about 65% of the populace of my country consists of the most condescending and judgemental people the Earth has ever carried on its back.They despise people for no apparent reason and their favourite pastime is mumbling to themselves about how awful other people are.

The other 35% is a group of pretty nice folks though, very welcoming and civilized bunch.Hungarians might be a bit too casual to some people but we're generally a welcoming nation who hold hospitality in very high regard so that's no surprise.
Jan 30, 2017 10:59 AM

Jun 2015
The society here is awful. People will judge you even if you are the slightest bit different from the 'normal'. That's what happens in a third world country where more than half of the population doesn't even speak English nor do they know what's going out in the world.
Jan 30, 2017 6:10 PM

Feb 2016
Meh. I'd say around 60% of the people here are grumpy and moody and don't bother to say 'please' or 'thank you' which really bugs me sometimes.
But the other 40% are friendly and helpful so I guess you'd just have to ignore the other 60%..

"The other day I met this man, a nice guy, y'know?
And we had a really good chat. Then I slit his throat and ripped his heart out through his chest.
Does that make me a bad person?"

Jan 30, 2017 8:09 PM
Feb 2014
The people in my city used to be very friendly as a whole, but over time and in comparison to the areas outside my city and especially in other countries, the people in my city are entitled and obnoxious. I blame people moving in from other parts of the country, especially California.
Jan 30, 2017 9:59 PM

Apr 2016
I don't know but
Some ppl are friendly, some ppl are agressive. In city and country.
I can't say better.
Anime List「Anime stats → Completed 1 Thousand」
Jan 30, 2017 10:09 PM

Jun 2015
My city? Overall, people aren't friendly. They're rude, rushed and far too blunt for most people.
Not completely dis-likable though. They're pretty helpful if they think you need help.

Country, no idea tbh. I've met really friendly people, and few horrible ones, but others must have had different experiences.
-_-
Jan 30, 2017 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
DeplorableNico said:
The people in my city used to be very friendly as a whole, but over time and in comparison to the areas outside my city and especially in other countries, the people in my city are entitled and obnoxious. I blame people moving in from other parts of the country, especially California.
I see Republic of California shirts all the time in Bellingham now so I can't imagine what it is like down there lol At least I live towards the mountains so I don't have to deal with it much as it's just confined to that city here.
Jan 30, 2017 11:06 PM

Dec 2015
Eh depends, I've seen both very bad and very good people, I guess you could say it's mixed.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 30, 2017 11:10 PM

Oct 2014
Really friendly unless you some hot girl. If latter please wear a chastity belt.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 31, 2017 6:07 AM

Dec 2015
Up here people are not friendly. On the contrary, whenever you even look at someone you'll get a nasty glare in return. If people are friendly however it's usually only on the surface. Really, backstabbing is one of our national games.
Jan 31, 2017 6:23 AM

Jul 2015
Really depends on what part of the country you go too. The rural areas have a lot of people that are friendly and welcoming. I cannot really say the same for the cities because I have only ever been to one and it was a mixed bag of friendly and rude people.

Jan 31, 2017 8:09 AM

Sep 2016
Not very friendly. If you don't like to gossip or bring other people down or don't fit in their idea of what is 'normal' then you are automatically an outcast and then it wont take long for them to wonder whats wrong with you
Jan 31, 2017 1:21 PM

Jan 2017
I wish terrorists would come and bomb the shit out of them.
"Now, come here. So long as we hold hands, we won't be separated."
Jan 31, 2017 1:28 PM

May 2010
I didn't realize how friendly ppl are here until I visited other european countries and saw how rude and antisocial they are
Jan 31, 2017 2:48 PM

Dec 2014
Actually, that something I'm trying to know...
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Feb 3, 2017 9:36 PM

Feb 2015
I moved to this city around 5 years ago and omg... i love the people here. They are really friendly and they are always willing to help you.

In my hometown the people are really different. There people are not friendly at all.
∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Feb 3, 2017 10:24 PM

Feb 2015
I moved down south two years ago, and so far everyone has been very friendly. Time will tell lol
Feb 3, 2017 10:29 PM
Jan 2017
Not that I have something against South Africa but no. The people are not friendly. We have a lot of road rage,Gang fights the whole business...Its hard for an Otaku to fit in here. But the Country itself is beautiful, just not so much the people
Feb 4, 2017 12:18 AM

Mar 2016
The place i live is one of the calmest places of the town i live and contains a lot of elderly people soo we are quite nice but the outsiders tend to be rude sometimes...
Feb 4, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2013
Eh in Atlanta I'd actually go so far as to say people aren't very friendly lol

Like they're nice enough but random conversations with people aren't easy to come by
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 4, 2017 12:23 AM
Feb 2017
I rarely talk to these 'people' and i dont know why they keep saying iam lying when i talk
Feb 4, 2017 1:15 AM

May 2015
Israeli people are either really friends or really rude. If you're working in offering service, expect them to use you as a punching bag for all their problems. They might also talk to you like friends and toss jokes.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 4, 2017 4:30 AM

Dec 2016
It's pretty bad here, I can't stand it.
I live in a big city area, so the streets downtown are constantly bustling and just about all the people there are as unfriendly as it gets.
Working retail is a nightmare.

Thankfully I've learned to deal with it, and to be honest it has been a while since I've last had an unpleasant encounter with someone, I just haven't exactly had any good experiences (or enough, at least) that would cancel out the bad stuff.
Feb 4, 2017 12:27 PM

Feb 2013
In the place I was born, people is super cheerful and friendly, but they have a huge flaw, they often tend to think 'they're the best country in the world' and that annoys me to no end. Because we're not.

As for the country I am currently living in, people is cool and friendly as well. They're kind and funny. Often misunderstood by neighbor countries.

Feb 4, 2017 12:47 PM
Jul 2015
It depends on the district of the city, but regardless...overall people are very hateful here most of the times
Feb 4, 2017 1:56 PM

Jul 2014
No, I think that the majority is not. It must be especially baffling for foreigners, because they wouldn't know to disregard the normal scowling protective expression everyone wears out of habit. Smiling means something unusual and unless the reason is visible it scares people or attracts beggars. The starting point for successful interactions with strangers is that nobody really wants to deal with you, like, you must assume that the person you approach has had a terrible day and barely contains their irritation out of their goodwill. On the other hand some very rare people can be annoyingly, invasively helpful, so I usually much prefer the usual coldness. Though it is believed that people in my city are especially cold and snobbish.

I'd say that there's 10% of genuinely helpful people, about 30% or 40% of people that would make a minimal effort. And maybe 50/50 in a serious situation. Something like 60% of thouse who would help you if that's their work. But politeness is more fequent, so if you visit, you should still ask.
Feb 4, 2017 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Too big to run into anyone and I'm usually in and out of stores quickly so meeting someone rude is slim to none.

I accidentally rhymed sometimes I'm a poet and i don't even know it.

Only time I get angry at anyone is I when I run into shit drivers on the road or when I'm behind the metro.
Feb 24, 2017 6:11 AM
Jul 2018
people here are rude towards other greeks but nice towards tourists lol
Feb 24, 2017 6:14 AM

Feb 2015
>How

now that's a hard scope to get into, I'd say 1/8 of my "friendliness" which can be factored into none. Ohhh, I see now....
Dec 26, 2017 10:22 PM
Dec 2017
People in my hometown are passionate and hospitality
Dec 26, 2017 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
Most of the people here are cranky & rude, and they like to whine about other people being shitty when the reason why they are so shitty is probably because they grew up surrounded by moronic fuckers.
Dec 26, 2017 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
Probably depends on where are you from.

Generally speaking people here are ready to help to a foreigner but at the same time they are quite selfish.

That's only my impression, you can't say this about everyone here.
Dec 26, 2017 11:49 PM

Aug 2012
In my country? Not very friendly at all. (I'm from the USA)
In my city? City is strong word... I live in a tiny little town with less then 2,000 people. People in my town are pretty friendly. Of course, we still have those rude and annoying people, but in remarkably small amounts (because we're a remarkably small town lol)
Dec 27, 2017 1:41 AM

Oct 2017
Living in Australia too and I guess we're quite friendly here, haven't had any issues with strangers yet. Though that's probably because I hardly talk to other people. *shrugs*
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 27, 2017 1:58 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
People who I meet are mostly quite kind. However there are a few people that are pretty horrible but you can spot them very easily. Helps when it's pretty chill
Dec 27, 2017 5:06 AM

Mar 2014
Singapore here.

A country where a lot chinese speak mainly English with indians, malays and Eurasians as minority.

People here generally don't care about strangers/neighbors and kept using on their phones.

They are generally nice and educated but quiet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 6:12 AM

Dec 2016
We all mind our own business here in Sweden.
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
Dec 27, 2017 9:24 AM

May 2016
Generally friendly, but they always want to concern them with stuff that don't concerns them. Me not being born here in the Netherlands (was born in bulgaria), there is a multiculturalism and sometimes people that originated from other countries are sometimes REALLY RUDE.
But in general people are friendly here
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Dec 27, 2017 10:33 AM

Aug 2015
Adults are very friendly here, although almost every kid and teenager is an absolute fuckwit.
Dec 27, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 2016
I find the people who live here are assholes, but in other states they are nice.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Dec 27, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2012
Some people are friendly, some not...it kind of depends on the regions mostly. People on the countryside tend to be friendlier and more welcoming.
As for this city I'm currently living in, they aren't so bad I guess. The only problem is...people here drink more (alcohol) compared to my hometown.

Dec 27, 2017 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
I think that Norwegians as a whole are pretty cold out in public; they avoid social interaction, feel awkward too close to others, and generally don't display a lot of emotion. I've heard tourists (especially Americans) point out how unfriendly Norwegians come across as, lol. You're expected to mind your own business, and it's weird if you randomly strike up a conversation with a stranger, or get too close to them.

Of course there are friendly and approachable Norwegians, but generally speaking, this really is the case most of the time, lol. This meme is actually pretty accurate.

Dec 27, 2017 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
I live in a small City where everyone, and I mean EVERYONE wants to slit each others throats.
Dec 27, 2017 2:38 PM
Aug 2016
Well they are friendly as long as you don't dress as you want, don't act as you want, don't think as you do, don't do things as you do, and don't be yourself. Oh, and if you don't do as they tell you, or say something that they don't like, or disobey them, or don't believe in what they believe, and don't hate what they hate, or don't like what they like, be prepared to be on their black list. Of course not all of them are like that, but most of them are.
I know, I'm already on a lots of people's black list, I think, but I don't actually give a fuck about that tbh.
Dec 27, 2017 7:14 PM

Nov 2016
There is huge diffrence between cities.Peoples who live in villages , less developed parts small towns etc. extremly friendly and welcoming(There is many people not even have problem with offering you bed and food without knowing you).Of course cant say same for the big cities.Still i think we turks are generally friendly but i feel like hospitality, friendliness rapidly going down and down every year.
Dec 28, 2017 6:21 AM

Apr 2015
If you're in India, you can literally engage anybody in a conversation starting with just a simple Hi and an attitude showing that you want to be friends with them.

More topics from this board

» Do you deem gratuitously killing insects immoral?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

27 by Zayvex »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts? ( 1 2 )

Freshell - May 5

59 by DreamWindow »»
6 minutes ago

» To those who peaked their anime watch time during the pandemic, what are you guys doing now?

rlyvtei - May 8

15 by Zayvex »»
16 minutes ago

» Have you ever put someone on the 'Ignored Users' list?

Thy-Veseveia - May 7

25 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - May 7

39 by DesuMaiden »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.