Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2016 2:42 AM
Nov 2016
Do you pay a monthly subscription or buy said anime on dvd/bluray?

If you do buy anime, do you buy it new or used?

Do you feel that buying it used is still supporting anime?

Would you support anime if it had a patreon?

Do you think that it's worth supporting anime if you're a westerner(assuming you are an american)? I mean, we get no say in the matter and they really don't see us as a significant profit so.....yea, what are your thoughts?

Does supporting anime really do anything anyways?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for me, I watch anime on both legal and illegal streaming sites. I try to buy my anime on blu ray, but it doesn't always work as there are some still only for dvd.

I buy new and used depending. If it is an old show or ridiculously expensive (like fate series) I buy it used. I also recently bought a region free blu ray player to get better prices on anime as well as get some that didn't come to america.

When buying a used copy, I feel that you are taking the torch from the other person and being the new supporter, so yes, I feel like I am still supporting the arts.

Anime could really strive if only they asked their fans for help. Why do you think we don't see to many indigogo kick starters from the creators? It baffles me. By doing this, they could see if there is an interest in the product at all and then make it/not make it depending on the supporters. They then would have the funds up front to make said anime if it was supported. Yes I would support patreons for anime if they had them.

I am kind of split on this one. I feel that art should be supported, but at the same time, there is a kuku inside me that is quite bothered by the industry only worrying about the Japanese. I understand that anime is made for the Japanese, but anime is getting more and more popular outside of Japan. They really should listen to what we want from the medium as well. With that said, yes, support the arts.

I really couldn't tell you if me buying a blu ray is really supporting the company or not, but I like to think that it shows interest and that is what's important. (at least to keep anime alive in america that is) If it doesn't sell enough, there wont be another season...but that has nothing to do with sales in america. That has to do with sales in Japan...and that kinda makes me mad.

I really wish the Japanese would listen to everyone as anime and visual novels and anime games are becoming more and more popular with the whole world. The way the industry works needs to change as well. For too long have these poor animators suffered. I believe that anime should be made through indiegogo. If they did it this way, they would have the money up front and they would know that people are interested. I'm not saying that it might not flop, but at least they will know if anybody actually cares. Animators should be given more respect as well. The way they live is very unhealthy. I wish there was a way we could support them.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 5, 2016 2:51 AM

Jun 2011
If there is a legal way to watch the anime, I pretty much always go with the legal way to watch the anime.

I have a crunchyroll, hulu, netflix, and funimation account. I own several of my favorites on VHS, DVD and even one anime on bluray as of this holiday season (FLCL). And I buy anime and it's merch for family as Christmas gifts, Mother's day gifts, birthday gifts, ect, whenever an opportunity presents.

I really try to get my family into anime... haha. And in order to do that I buy them probably more DVDs than even myself.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 5, 2016 2:54 AM

Nov 2013
not atm but i'm considering subscribing crunchyroll account so i can at least feel like i'm "helping" lol

i have quite a few dvd's as well but not that many
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Dec 5, 2016 3:00 AM
Nov 2016
What made you want to start supporting crunchyroll? What anime made you feel like supporting them?

What DVD's did you collect?

Respect. Interesting. VHS you say? I got rid of my VHS tape as soon as DVD came out. I couldn't stand VHS, but that does show that you have been supporting anime for quite a while now. LOL what does your family say about those gifts? Are they studio Ghibli movies? Congrats on your first blu ray. Do you think that the subscription to all those companies are actually helping the anime industry?
kukukachuDec 5, 2016 3:08 AM
Dec 5, 2016 3:02 AM

Feb 2013
kukukachu said:

Do you think that it's worth supporting anime if you're a westerner(assuming you are an american)? I mean, we get no say in the matter and they really don't see us as a significant profit so.....yea, what are your thoughts?

no to all.. maybe if i was some rich westerner with credit card

except the last one.. buying anime directly from the licensor or japanese companies should helps in licencing or producing more anime
and i think crunchyroll pais a lot for all those licenses , even if not from you directly i think it's still noticeable for them; without CR i dont think we'd have masterpiece such as JK meshi
Dec 5, 2016 3:04 AM
Jul 2018
People who say there should be "Patreon/Indiegogo" for anime have no idea about how media industries work.
Dec 5, 2016 3:05 AM

Jan 2009
nah im poor but in the past i heavily watch anime on local TV stations and we know that anime industry also makes profit from TV licensing
Dec 5, 2016 3:07 AM

Feb 2013
and @ the patreion idea just lol ,, i think a 13 ep series costs more than amanda palmer gets in an year'

anime is expensive .. kickstarter was used for some small projects
Dec 5, 2016 3:15 AM

Jun 2015
I buy blu-rays for those that I really love.

We have some tankobons as well, but for other merch, nah.

As for fan support. Anime is expensive and there are lots being produced per season, wouldn't be feasible.
Dec 5, 2016 3:15 AM

Jun 2011
kukukachu said:
What made you want to start supporting crunchyroll? What anime made you feel like supporting them?

What DVD's did you collect?

Respect. Interesting. VHS you say? I got rid of my VHS tape as soon as DVD came out. I couldn't stand VHS, but that does show that you have been supporting anime for quite a while now. LOL what does your family say about those gifts? Are they studio Ghibli movies? Congrats on your first blu ray. Do you think that the subscription to all those companies are actually helping the anime industry?

I really have no idea. I don't have cable and I consider it my cable! XD
Just watch anime so much it only makes sense to have this stuff and when I am too poor for internet welp, I got DVDs! I actually have been around so long I have OFFICIAL fansubs. You know the ones people passed around to get people interested in an anime being brought over here? Yeaaaah... I have like... a box of those. I also have all of Evangelion in both sub and dub on VHS. I am kinda nuts for that series. And I still buy some VHS sometimes because I donno... they remind me of old times when I was a kid running off to a club with much older people watching things I should not have been watching. XD It was pretty great. Youngest person in my anime club and I think I am one oldest people there. But there is one guy who is 33. So he beats me. :P But I am the longest attending member of the club now.

I have every USA release of Evangelion... and that is terrible. They put out some terrible releases... and not going to lie... I have considered buying the Japanese Bluray. Despite the expense and no subs.

My VHSes are better than the perfect collection for Evangelion... because they are simply in better condition than whatever trite VHS they copied to make it. I am so glad I also have Platinum to make up for it. But it is cool to wip it out!

PS. Yes! My family does like the anime. I got my Mother in Law and Step mom Wolf Children most recently so it is not just Ghibli I am gifting. They actually liked it! It was for mother's day. So very appropriate.

My brother actually came to me and said he liked cowboy bebop but I know he doesn't own it. So I just bought it for him for Christmas. ^.^ I think he is going to be surprised. This is the first anime he has told me he liked. I bought my younger brother who is younger than him... FLCL because he just started puberty and his older brother plays baseball. I thought it would fit him.

And I bought my brother in law and his family Princess Mononoke because they like mythology and like celtic stuff... I thought they would like it. I showed them Little Witch Acedemia on Thanksgiving and they LOVED it!

... and my aunt... who is only 17... is into yaoi. Somehow we have one other true Otaku like me in the family and I bought her Free! a few years back... but this year we are obcessing about yuri on ice. I got her skating lessons.
Energetic-NovaDec 5, 2016 3:26 AM
Dec 5, 2016 3:20 AM
Nov 2016
romagia said:
and @ the patreion idea just lol ,, i think a 13 ep series costs more than amanda palmer gets in an year'

anime is expensive .. kickstarter was used for some small projects

mcpw said:
People who say there should be "Patreon/Indiegogo" for anime have no idea about how media industries work.

Do you remember how much money amanda palmer got from her fans? Having a patreon on the side would not hurt. Oki maybe the indiegogo thing could work(but we'll forget about that for now).....but the patreon really could work (or any link that let's your give the company money). Real talk for sec. Having a patreon would make it so that people could almost directly give their money to (insert anime company here). Maybe they are poor AF and they don't have much, but they still want to support (said company) so they pitch in $5. That's $5 more than (said company) had. I think it would be a good idea for them to have a patreon. It would get them money from people that don't nessassarily want to give a lot, but still support it.

Also Romagia, you don't have to be rich to buy anime...it's called a budget. I give myself a budget. I have $100 fun money and after that, I have to wait. After a few months, I can buy a PS4 or a $100 anime....also I don't have a credit card. Where do you live? You said "westerner with credit card" so where are you from?

Also buying from Japan directly might not give you English subs....This has happened
kukukachuDec 5, 2016 3:59 AM
Dec 5, 2016 3:24 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i have an otaku room, with plenty of DVD's and a few BD's... so yes
Dec 5, 2016 3:26 AM

Jan 2009
13 episodes of an anime typically cost around 2 million dollars
24 episodes of an anime typically cost around 4 million dollars
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-08-13/anime-insiders-share-how-much-producing-a-season-costs/.91536

so i doubt crowdfunding can succeed at this time for making anime TV series

but for OVAs like 1 episode anime then sure and Under The Dog and Little Witch Academia show that it can work
Dec 5, 2016 3:29 AM
Nov 2016
j0x said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-08-13/anime-insiders-share-how-much-producing-a-season-costs/.91536

but for OVAs like 1 episode anime then sure and Under The Dog and Little Witch Academia show that it can work
Super troopers 2 got around $4 million to make their movie.....just saying.....the system works
Dec 5, 2016 3:31 AM
Nov 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Good Job -thumbs up- Way to support the anime industry. I myself have only a few Nendoroids and they are of the Fate characters, but I can't see myself buying all the manga and all the toys. I take it you have posters and figurines and a mouse pad with boobs and all that jazz.

BRB-kun said:

As for fan support. Anime is expensive and there are lots being produced per season, wouldn't be feasible.
Anime is expensive, yes, but you can give yourself a budget. I myself have $100 of fun money every month. If I don't use it for that money, it rolls over and then I have $200 for next month. You just gotta save your money up, but only buy the anime that you really care about.
kukukachuDec 5, 2016 3:37 AM
Dec 5, 2016 3:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
kukukachu said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
Good Job -thumbs up- Way to support the anime industry. I myself have only a few Nendoroids and they are of the Fate characters, but I can't see myself buying all the manga and all the toys. I take it you have posters and figurines and a mouse pad with boobs and all that jazz.

yea i go to at least 3 anime conventions a year, am constantly ordering stuff online AND we just so happen to have an anime store here
Dec 5, 2016 3:36 AM

Jan 2009
kukukachu said:
j0x said:

Super troopers 2 got around $4 million to make their movie.....just saying.....the system works

we will find out if crowdfunding will be the future of funding anime if ever more people on the anime industry tries it

the good things about crowdfunding is that the anime studios themselves can make more original anime and never worry about other companies since production committee will be removed and also break-even profit is almost guaranteed

but that will make you wonder why more people on the anime industry does not do crowdfunding so there must be something we do not know
Dec 5, 2016 3:47 AM
Nov 2016
WOW! Dedication. I'm kinda curious what your room looks like lol.
We used to have anime stores, but they always seemed to go out of business....unfortunate....

j0x said:
kukukachu said:

we will find out if crowdfunding will be the future of funding anime if ever more people on the anime industry tries it

the good things about crowdfunding is that the anime studios themselves can make more original anime and never worry about other companies since production committee will be removed and also break-even profit is almost guaranteed

but that will make you wonder why more people on the anime industry does not do crowdfunding so there must be something we do not know
For studios like MADhouse and Trigger, I bet you they could do a crowdfunding and get over the amount that they wanted. I know that anime is expensive, but I truly feel like the fans could/would really help out, especially from a source that has shown us that they know what they are doing.

I think that the way things should be bought is buy what the person thinks it's worth. I think this way of purchasing things would be beneficial as people would stop making shit shows and put money towards things that are actually worth doing, but then it could backfire and we see nothing but shit shows....I don't know. I like having the choice to give as little or as much as I want towards something depending of how I liked it.
kukukachuDec 5, 2016 3:53 AM
Dec 5, 2016 3:49 AM

Jun 2016
If I get a fulltime job, I would.
but now, torrent and online streaming save me :D hehe

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Dec 5, 2016 3:51 AM
Nov 2016
Luuji222 said:
If I get a fulltime job, I would.
but now, torrent and online streaming save me :D hehe
yes, you need money to purchase things....work on that first ;)
Dec 5, 2016 3:54 AM

Jun 2015
kukukachu said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

BRB-kun said:

Anime is expensive, yes, but you can give yourself a budget. I myself have $100 of fun money every month. If I don't use it for that money, it rolls over and then I have $200 for next month. You just gotta save your money up, but only buy the anime that you really care about.

I meant for this part
Anime could really strive if only they asked their fans for help. Why do you think we don't see to many indigogo kick starters from the creators? It baffles me. By doing this, they could see if there is an interest in the product at all and then make it/not make it depending on the supporters. They then would have the funds up front to make said anime if it was supported. Yes I would support patreons for anime if they had them.

PS. 100 dollars isn't really big.
Dec 5, 2016 3:56 AM
Apr 2016
Of course I do! I have a Crunchyroll Premium membership and I also buy the box sets of series not on Crunchyroll or Viewster. I hate torrenting...
Dec 5, 2016 3:58 AM

Apr 2015
I might stream illegaly, but...
Whenever I purchase something, I purchase it new, unless it is a series that has gone out of print. I also try to support by investing in merchandise. I have bits and pieces of small Madoka and Sailor Moon merchandise spread throughout my room, and Wall Scrolls/Posters of various series lining my walls.

Not to mention that while I myself typically don't utilize the likes of Crunchyroll's streaming services, I often recommend others to use it. The primary reason I don't use Crunchyroll is merely because a sizable portion of what I watch is not on it. However, various 'friends' of mine are usually a bit more casual with their viewing choices, so Crunchyroll ends up being a great place to point them towards.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 5, 2016 4:07 AM
Sep 2015
Nope. I am a student and I live in Turkey.
Dec 5, 2016 4:19 AM
Nov 2016
Well you are definitely saving money not having cable. OFFICIAL fansubs you say? oh gawd.....I got into anime way after that stuff. It was pretty much Toonami that got me into it.

I just turned 30 and I don't see my love for anime ever going away. Any animation really as long as it's good (in my opinion). I too have the platinum edition of Eva. I actually feel I enjoy the movies (1.11, 2.22) more though. The 3rd movie though.....well I need to see the last movie to judge.

I was not really ever a fan of the VHS era.....rewinding....ugh

Wolf Children was a great choice, good job.

You can't go wrong with cowboy bebop (or Trigun for that matter).

Ummm, what did your younger brother think of FLCL? It's got really cool animation at times, but hard to follow. Oh also have him (and you if you havent) check out Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. That's one of my favorites

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki is instantly loved by all.....and that's a fact....though he should completely retire before he ruins his reputation....

LOL, otaku line. Has she ever seen D.N. Angel...I think she might like that...it's not yaoi, but it does feel that way sometimes. I've only seen 1 ep of Yuri on Ice, but I was impressed.
Dec 5, 2016 4:29 AM

Jun 2011
kukukachu said:
Well you are definitely saving money not having cable. OFFICIAL fansubs you say? oh gawd.....I got into anime way after that stuff. It was pretty much Toonami that got me into it.

I just turned 30 and I don't see my love for anime ever going away. Any animation really as long as it's good (in my opinion). I too have the platinum edition of Eva. I actually feel I enjoy the movies (1.11, 2.22) more though. The 3rd movie though.....well I need to see the last movie to judge.

I was not really ever a fan of the VHS era.....rewinding....ugh

Wolf Children was a great choice, good job.

You can't go wrong with cowboy bebop (or Trigun for that matter).

Ummm, what did your younger brother think of FLCL? It's got really cool animation at times, but hard to follow. Oh also have him (and you if you havent) check out Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. That's one of my favorites

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki is instantly loved by all.....and that's a fact....though he should completely retire before he ruins his reputation....

LOL, otaku line. Has she ever seen D.N. Angel...I think she might like that...it's not yaoi, but it does feel that way sometimes. I've only seen 1 ep of Yuri on Ice, but I was impressed.

My brother Ty (who is 10) is going through a tough time... he actually lives in a city with a paper mill and it reminds me a lot of that big mill in FLCL. His older brother is the pitcher on the baseball team. I think... he will relate to the character. Sometimes, you take a risk when getting a loved one into anime. The first anime I showed him and he watched all of was Yugioh. But ummm that was like Saturday morning cartoon stuff. you know? I also showed him the abridged series. XD I am a terrible influence.

Danyael has great taste. He is an intellectual. Plays Baseball. And like... he is just really brilliant and I think the family expects great things from him. Pretty much also why I bought Tyler FLCL... I think... he will relate to that about Takkun too... That character just... is my brother right now. And Danyael... well he is every bit as cool as Spike from Cowboy Bebop. I gotta admit. 14 and just the star of everything right now. Oh and my parents had another baby last year... it is just... yeah sad for my brother he is not the baby by a long shot. Full on middle child.

I think intensely about the person I am buying the anime for. I think this is how I am so successful at getting people into anime. I have successfully converted most people... not my sister but even she found two she liked.

(my dad lets them watch family guy I am not concerned with content on them. Which is so weird cause when I was growing up I couldn't watch Sailor Flippen Moon! But that was my mom and not my dad)

My aunt Toni who is 40 years younger than her brother (my dad) she actually watches classics. I love her for it. She watched all of Evangelion and read the manga. I am going to let her borrow my precious Gravitation DVDs because I trust her. And my manga. But you know... Otaku know that crap is spendy. I wouldn't just let any family borrow that stuff.

I don't... really like the rebuilds... but I have them... ug..... and not the bluray and the dvd.... just the DVD just hard to feel the passion.

... and I own the Shinji Ikari Detective Diary... >.>
Energetic-NovaDec 5, 2016 4:36 AM
Dec 5, 2016 4:32 AM
Nov 2016
BRB-kun said:
kukukachu said:

I meant for this part

PS. 100 dollars isn't really big.
ah, I see. My bad. A lot of stuff being put out though is kinda shit....oki so crowd funding is out...but not really, because maybe there wouldn't be so much shit product out there...but then again....mighty No.9 was crowd funded........but making a link to give the company money would still work. So, there was a time when Amanda Palmer crowd funded and got WAY more money than what she asked for for this new album. When she was done making the album, she had a site where you could download the whole album and give whatever amount of money you thought it was worth. I still think that having a site like this for anime would be good as we could support the art, even if it is just $5 here and there.
Dec 5, 2016 4:38 AM
Nov 2016
LogieBear98 said:
Of course I do! I have a Crunchyroll Premium membership and I also buy the box sets of series not on Crunchyroll or Viewster. I hate torrenting...
sean_1 said:
I have Crunchyroll premium so I guess that's helping...
Good job guys. Keep supporting the arts -thumbs up- I truly do think that funimation has a lot of say in the anime industry and if we support crunchyroll, we get more stuff.

InsaneLeader13 said:
I might stream illegaly, but...
Whenever I purchase something, I purchase it new, unless it is a series that has gone out of print. I also try to support by investing in merchandise. I have bits and pieces of small Madoka and Sailor Moon merchandise spread throughout my room, and Wall Scrolls/Posters of various series lining my walls.

Not to mention that while I myself typically don't utilize the likes of Crunchyroll's streaming services, I often recommend others to use it. The primary reason I don't use Crunchyroll is merely because a sizable portion of what I watch is not on it. However, various 'friends' of mine are usually a bit more casual with their viewing choices, so Crunchyroll ends up being a great place to point them towards.
I know what you mean. I don't want to give money to crunchyroll as I buy my anime on blu ray. I don't want to pay twice...unless it's the fate series....then I will. The merch thing is a little too much for me. I only have so much room for stuff, you know?
Dec 5, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
Somewhat..? Can't say I buy the DVD's directly nor that I boast about how my Crunchyroll money funnels into the industry, because that's all I do. Purchasing things I might only use once Is just bad for my economy.
AspectOfJustice said:
Profile picture.

Dec 5, 2016 4:43 AM
Nov 2016
AspectOfJustice said:
Is anime hard to find over there? I am curious to know.
Dec 5, 2016 5:15 AM
Sep 2015
kukukachu said:
AspectOfJustice said:
Is anime hard to find over there? I am curious to know.

Not really. Most of the viewers here watch it illegally on internet. We have lots of fansubbing groups. Nobody publishes or sells official anime here. But I know people who watch anime on Crunchyroll.

Tylaen said:

AspectOfJustice said:
Profile picture.

This happened before too. I will change it as soon as possible ^^
AspetochDec 5, 2016 5:25 AM
Dec 5, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2014
With all my heart. And that's about it.
Dec 5, 2016 5:24 AM

Dec 2015
If I had money I would buy a bunch of manga volumes, unfortunately it's not that easy 😒😒
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 5, 2016 5:25 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, I downloaded and torrented them dry for many years and most likely wouldn't stop doing that

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 5, 2016 5:32 AM

Feb 2015
Yes... I once bought Maki fappingpillows, whole figurine of Love Live + Sunshine, and the BDs as well, dem the movie was so good when I hold it. And then, one dude stole it. I ran to catch him. I tripped. Woke up.
Dec 5, 2016 5:43 AM

Nov 2014
Merchandise mostly.

Fuck legal streaming sites, they region block me, so why must I take so much effort unlocking myself just to pay them money for it?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 5, 2016 5:44 AM
Nov 2016
BurningSpirit said:
Merchandise mostly.

Fuck legal streaming sites, they region block me, so why must I take so much effort unlocking myself just to pay them money for it?
I just bought a region free blu ray player.....I too have been region blocked at times....like when I wanted to watch the documentary of kill la kill
Dec 5, 2016 5:47 AM

Nov 2014
kukukachu said:
I just bought a region free blu ray player.....I too have been region blocked at times....like when I wanted to watch the documentary of kill la kill

That doesn't change anything for me. They don't even try to make it moderately convenient for me, so why would I bother?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 5, 2016 5:50 AM
Nov 2016
BurningSpirit said:
kukukachu said:

That doesn't change anything for me. They don't even try to make it moderately convenient for me, so why would I bother?
that's a fair point. That kind of goes with one of my questions. Is it even worth supporting as they give no fucks about us?
Dec 5, 2016 6:14 AM

Aug 2013
I cant even afford to buy new shoes, so fuck no.
Dec 5, 2016 6:41 AM

Apr 2014
I always scream at my dvds to go for it, and that they can do it. Does that count?
Dec 5, 2016 7:13 AM

Apr 2015
I do. Have membership on Crunchyroll and Funimation. Bought some manga volumes, BDs, posters/prints (though most are fanart from conventions) and art books. I tend to always buy new items. If I had a bigger space, I would get figures too.

For reference, I live in the US.
Dec 5, 2016 7:20 AM

Jan 2015
kukukachu said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for me, I watch anime on both legal and illegal streaming sites. I try to buy my anime on blu ray, but it doesn't always work as there are some still only for dvd.

I buy new and used depending. If it is an old show or ridiculously expensive (like fate series) I buy it used. I also recently bought a region free blu ray player to get better prices on anime as well as get some that didn't come to america.

When buying a used copy, I feel that you are taking the torch from the other person and being the new supporter, so yes, I feel like I am still supporting the arts.

I am kind of split on this one. I feel that art should be supported, but at the same time, there is a kuku inside me that is quite bothered by the industry only worrying about the Japanese. I understand that anime is made for the Japanese, but anime is getting more and more popular outside of Japan. They really should listen to what we want from the medium as well. With that said, yes, support the arts.

I really couldn't tell you if me buying a blu ray is really supporting the company or not, but I like to think that it shows interest and that is what's important. (at least to keep anime alive in america that is) If it doesn't sell enough, there wont be another season...but that has nothing to do with sales in america. That has to do with sales in Japan...and that kinda makes me mad.

I really wish the Japanese would listen to everyone as anime and visual novels and anime games are becoming more and more popular with the whole world. The way the industry works needs to change as well. For too long have these poor animators suffered. I believe that anime should be made through indiegogo. If they did it this way, they would have the money up front and they would know that people are interested. I'm not saying that it might not flop, but at least they will know if anybody actually cares. Animators should be given more respect as well. The way they live is very unhealthy. I wish there was a way we could support them.

Not really I'm a poor student but I did support somehow by being Japanese Manga online from eBay :3

But if I ever travel to Japan I would support anime so much that it's gonna feel it in the morning :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 5, 2016 7:21 AM
Feb 2015
i am in a bad economic state so no, although i have 50+manga volumes
Dec 5, 2016 10:07 AM

Dec 2009
I wish i could, but i can't afford it right now.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 5, 2016 10:10 AM

Jan 2013
Want to really support it?
Buy it directly from the source, i.e. Japan.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 5, 2016 10:13 AM

Jul 2009
Subbing to Crunchyroll is the farthest I'll probably get
Dec 5, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
I do it all, buddy. I have a Crunchy sub, I buy DVDs, I buy figures and I even buy the manga.

Don't cry when we get more of mah moe shit-shows, I actually paid for them.
Dec 5, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2016
I support Anime. I voted for Anime in the last elections.
Dec 5, 2016 1:13 PM
Nov 2016
Milk_is_Special said:
I always scream at my dvds to go for it, and that they can do it. Does that count?
......yes. Yes it does

Cabron said:
Want to really support it?
Buy it directly from the source, i.e. Japan.
I might want to support it, but I also want to enjoy it and I know they usually don't have subtitles and I'm not gonna learn how to speak japanese or read it for that matter. Do you buy directly?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
6 seconds ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 59 seconds ago

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
59 seconds ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

106 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

231 by Thanatos1 »»
3 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 2 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.