Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 10, 2016 2:14 AM
Dec 2008
he has the same timid personality but his relationship with Kumiko is so much different. But Kyoani chose this road and he sticks up like a sore thumb.

Flora92 said:

Hmm, I can see why KyoAni decided to give him less screen time)

Kyoani trimmed and changed his scenes because he's the real threat to their main yuripandering couple. Their promo arts pretty much reveal their intention.
gnodabNov 10, 2016 2:25 AM
Nov 10, 2016 2:30 AM
Mar 2016
gnodab said:
he has the same timid personality but his relationship with Kumiko is so much different. But Kyoani chose this road and he sticks up like a sore thumb.

Flora92 said:

Hmm, I can see why KyoAni decided to give him less screen time)

Kyoani trimmed and changed his scenes because he's the real threat to their main yuripandering couple. Their promo arts pretty much reveal their intention.

I don't think so- they didn't hide Reina's feeling for the teacher.
Nov 10, 2016 2:36 AM
Dec 2008
Flora92 said:

And despite that plenty still ship Kumiko & Reina since her crush on Taki-sensei doesn't really matter since it won't go anywhere.
Nov 10, 2016 2:54 AM

Nov 2015
_Kairu_ said:

No! More noises the better!

oh my goodness. thank you for introducing me to this channel. uwu too strong
Nov 10, 2016 3:01 AM
Mar 2016
gnodab said:
Flora92 said:

And despite that plenty still ship Kumiko & Reina since her crush on Taki-sensei doesn't really matter since it won't go anywhere.

Shuuichi's presence wouldn't change how they feel about who would be better for Kumiko.
It's like the situation with Ron and Hermione: the fact that she ended up with him doesn't change anything- I still think she'd be happier with Harry.
Nov 10, 2016 3:34 AM
Dec 2008
Flora92 said:

Shuuichi's presence wouldn't change how they feel about who would be better for Kumiko.
It's like the situation with Ron and Hermione: the fact that she ended up with him doesn't change anything- I still think she'd be happier with Harry.

And yet Kyoani still sidelined him. They're not confident in Kumiko and Reina's relationship it seems.
Nov 10, 2016 3:40 AM
Mar 2016
gnodab said:
Flora92 said:

And yet Kyoani still sidelined him. They're not confident in Kumiko and Reina's relationship it seems.

My guess would be that they are afraid of going full yuri, cos it's not a popular genre. So they are just playing it safe. Even one of the most popular shoujo-ai anime - Maria sama ga miteru had just one kiss in 4 seasons.
Nov 10, 2016 4:56 AM

Apr 2016
Flora92 said:

Maybe, but at least Reina and Kumiko had chemistry, inspired each other and helped getting through emotionally hard times. It doesn't matter if their feelings are platonic or romantic- they still showed us how passionate can playing an instrument be, their interactions served a purpose.

I don't see the problem with Shuuichi. Reina and Kumiko is the most beautiful relationship the show offered us until now, yes, HOWEVER why is it a problem if there are other relationships next to this one? I mean, are you crying when Reina show her jealousy with Taki sensei? Were you shouting "treason" when we saw her dead fish eyes?

And when Kumiko just abandonned all her friends for a moment at the pool or overall in the first episodes because she was interested in the nozomi-mizore case, was it also lost of time? Infidelity?

This show is great to me because it doesn't restrict itself to two characters. I ship hard the bond between Kumiko and Reina, whatever it may be, whatever it may become, as long as it stays strong but really, it's great to see their social horizon isn't narrow to "this one and only person" and I ship whatever bond Kumiko might develop with other friends too, Shuuichi included. Now she even speaks casually to Mizore when going to school, isn't that great? She arrived in this school, she was literally alone. It's development, it's not supposed to stop there either. That's real life and that's what a good slice of life looks like.

Actually, the most annoying thing in this show is not in the show itself, but part of the viewers, those yelling and seriously meaning "yuri bait" every time Reina and Kumiko are together on screen. "mendoukusai!"
Nov 10, 2016 5:17 AM

Apr 2016
_Kairu_ said:

No! More noises the better!

Amazing! Thank you!
Despite all the good noise, "So Dakara" is the one that made me laugh.
Nov 10, 2016 5:44 AM

Jan 2010
You little faggot!! Stay away from my kumiko, there's only one ship you can't ruin in this anime. >_<
You didn't like Tuba, ok, no more chances, now get lost
Nov 10, 2016 5:54 AM
Mar 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Flora92 said:

Maybe, but at least Reina and Kumiko had chemistry, inspired each other and helped getting through emotionally hard times. It doesn't matter if their feelings are platonic or romantic- they still showed us how passionate can playing an instrument be, their interactions served a purpose.

I don't see the problem with Shuuichi. Reina and Kumiko is the most beautiful relationship the show offered us until now, yes, HOWEVER why is it a problem if there are other relationships next to this one? I mean, are you crying when Reina show her jealousy with Taki sensei? Were you shouting "treason" when we saw her dead fish eyes?

And when Kumiko just abandonned all her friends for a moment at the pool or overall in the first episodes because she was interested in the nozomi-mizore case, was it also lost of time? Infidelity?

This show is great to me because it doesn't restrict itself to two characters. I ship hard the bond between Kumiko and Reina, whatever it may be, whatever it may become, as long as it stays strong but really, it's great to see their social horizon isn't narrow to "this one and only person" and I ship whatever bond Kumiko might develop with other friends too, Shuuichi included. Now she even speaks casually to Mizore when going to school, isn't that great? She arrived in this school, she was literally alone. It's development, it's not supposed to stop there either. That's real life and that's what a good slice of life looks like.

Actually, the most annoying thing in this show is not in the show itself, but part of the viewers, those yelling and seriously meaning "yuri bait" every time Reina and Kumiko are together on screen. "mendoukusai!"

Yeah, I agree with almost everything you said)
No, I really don't mind dead fish eyes (it was very funny) and talking to other people.
Its different with Shuuichi cos I'm really sick of characters promoting him when Kumiko never said or showed any kind of interest in him other then a friend. It always comes out of nowhere (like when Kumiko couldn't sleep and left the room- Reina suddenly asked if she was with Shuuichi. Why would she think that? It's weird).
And naturally, when something is so clearly forced down my throat- I don't like it and his character just feels out of place (he should be in some romance comedy, where they have 20+ episodes about just him and his love interest misunderstanding each other and a bunch of friends helping them get together, cos they are both too slow and timid)

I actually really like how Kumiko is interacting with other people (like Yuuko, Nozomi, Asuka, her sister, Taki-sensei - their dialogue was very touching and its cute how she's trying not to interfere too much, just observing XD)
Nov 10, 2016 6:34 AM

Apr 2016
Flora92 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

No, I really don't mind dead fish eyes (it was very funny) and talking to other people.
Its different with Shuuichi cos I'm really sick of characters promoting him when Kumiko never said or showed any kind of interest in him other then a friend. It always comes out of nowhere (like when Kumiko couldn't sleep and left the room- Reina suddenly asked if she was with Shuuichi. Why would she think that? It's weird).
And naturally, when something is so clearly forced down my throat- I don't like it and his character just feels out of place (he should be in some romance comedy, where they have 20+ episodes about just him and his love interest misunderstanding each other and a bunch of friends helping them get together, cos they are both too slow and timid)

I actually really like how Kumiko is interacting with other people (like Yuuko, Nozomi, Asuka, her sister, Taki-sensei - their dialogue was very touching and its cute how she's trying not to interfere too much, just observing XD)

The thing is Kyoani really emphasized that Kumiko ignored him in the first season on purpose, for a good reason. It doesn't mean she always thought that way toward him. After all, back then, what brought the "cold" happens when she asked him if he wanted to go home, if I well remember.

As for Reina questions : she and others like Azuki obviously noticed Shuuichi's crush. So maybe they wonder if there weren't anything even a little bit reciprocate.

Then again, what happened in this episode 6? Nothing. They met accidentaly, he still has a crush on her, she happened to depend on him for no other "apparent" reason than being scared in the dark. Nothing more. Now If we get a love confession or a Kumiko sudden change of heart after that on episode 7, I will think exactly like you : "that's shit". But there are still 6 episodes to go, that's something like a 2 hour movie, that's a lot of time and space for a slow and believable development ... or not. I mean, for me the show so far had almost no romance (nothing mutual between kumiko and shuuichi and surely nothing romantical between Kumiko and Reina) and it's great anyway. It all depends on the writing and the realisation. We'll see.

Last thing : it's not bad if for once developments aren't obvious from the start, so "not obvious" that many don't want to buy it.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 10, 2016 6:47 AM
Nov 10, 2016 6:47 AM

May 2016
Loved this episode, they blend heartwarming and funny with tragic and serious so well. And the VAs are spot on. I love everything about this show.
Nov 10, 2016 6:50 AM

Apr 2013
Jack_Corvus96 said:
I'm the only one who thinks that the scene on Reina's Spooky house was forced? (Tsukamoto and Kumiko)

Nope you are not the only one in fact every time these two interact it feels forced.

Can already see it coming. An amazing slice of life series full of characters that feel real with great interactions ruined by an awful tsukamoto kumiko pairing that makes no sense and is completely contrary to how kumiko's character is presented.

Other than that great episode. wonder if that is asuka's sister or mother. Really liked the scene where kumiko and taki sensei met.
xSanoxNov 10, 2016 6:54 AM
Nov 10, 2016 6:52 AM
Mar 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Flora92 said:

The thing is Kyoani really emphasized that Kumiko ignored him in the first season on purpose, for a good reason. It doesn't mean she always thought that way toward him. After all, back then, what brought the "cold" happens when she asked him if he wanted to go home, if I well remember.

As for Reina questions : she and others like Azuki obviously noticed Shuuichi's crush. So maybe they wonder if there weren't anything even a little bit reciprocate.

Then again, what happened in this episode 6? Nothing. They met accidentaly, he still has a crush on her, she happened to depend on him for no other "apparent" reason than being scared in the dark. Nothing more. Now If we get a love confession or a Kumiko sudden change of heart after that on episode 7, I will think exactly like you : "that's shit". But there are still 6 episodes to go, that's something like a 2 hour movie, that's a lot of time and space for a slow and believable development ... or not. I mean, for me the show so far had almost no romance (and surely not between Kumiko and Reina) and it's great anyway. It all depends on the writing and the realisation. We'll see.

As I said- no romance was and is perfectly fine by me :-) Hibike was never about that, it was about people, their desire to "git gud", what playing an instrument means to them and how it effects their lives. And that's what I loved about it
It's scary to think that it can suddenly switch focus from that to something that has nothing to do with music (kind of like in this episode). Especially when, as I've heard, -
Flora92Nov 10, 2016 7:04 AM
Nov 10, 2016 6:59 AM

Feb 2008
I also agree that Tsukamoto needs more screen time to make things go in a romantic way that doesn't grow from anywhere except a childhood crush.

Really liked this episode. How Taki decided to only speak a bit about his past relationship, instead of letting it all out. But I am also kind of sad because a lot of third years will be going off. I hope not too many. My favorite trio can't be not going to Nationals.

Of course that is Kaori, Asuka and Haruka. Wondering about the tuba pair, too.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Nov 10, 2016 7:02 AM

Apr 2016
Flora92 said:

As I said- no romance was and is perfectly fine by me :-) Hibike was never about that, it was about people, their desire to "git gud", what playing an instrument means to them and how it effects their lives. And that's what I loved about it
It's scary to think that it can suddenly switch focus from that to something that has nothing to do with music (kind of like in this episode).

you should put a spoiler button here at the end of your comment.

I agree with you, that Hibike is about music and how it is related to relationships and group dynamic IN GENERAL, not romance in particular. I don't bother if there's a bit more though, on the family, vocation, life's priority aspect too for example.
Nov 10, 2016 7:15 AM

Nov 2007
xxtyrantxx said:
Flora92 said:

What is he like in the novel?
lol He's pretty much the same in the novel a big wuss

You seem to have read the novel. Care to explain at which part he was being a wuss? I am really interested.

@Flora92:

As for Kumiko's feelings, I wouldn't go into it because season 1 had so many indications of that that I find it tad strange that fans didn't take a notice, but that was also because it was intentionally left double edged with two different meanings. However, as an avid fan of romance genre, and someone who has seen every KyoAni work in existence till date (well, except for Munto) I could pick the meanings up on my own. It also means that KyoAni was successful by limiting it to just 'Lovers' Quarrel' as they have described Kumiko and Shuuichi's relationship, exactly the way they wanted it to be.

In the meantime, here is how to place your shoes on the floor.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 10, 2016 7:26 AM
Mar 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

you should put a spoiler button here at the end of your comment.

I agree with you, that Hibike is about music and how it is related to relationships and group dynamic IN GENERAL, not romance in particular. I don't bother if there's a bit more though, on the family, vocation, life's priority aspect too for example.

Done, sorry)

Well family stuff is still relevant to music though because of her sister, so are the life's priorities. Maybe the whole thing will force Kumiko to truly realize what playing eupho means to her. Yes, she likes being in a band, likes playing but I don't think we've seen her put her emotions into it, like Reina, Mizore or Asuka do.
Nov 10, 2016 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
Normally these episodes interlocutors, I do not like very much, but the KyoAni has managed to come up with something a little irritating and quite useful to grow interpersonal relationships. Excellent designs and animations. The realization of the Citroen Ami 8 is perfect, also the noise of the engine is identical to the real

Nov 10, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2016
Flora92 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Done, sorry)

Well family stuff is still relevant to music though because of her sister, so are the life's priorities. Maybe the whole thing will force Kumiko to truly realize what playing eupho means to her. Yes, she likes being in a band, likes playing but I don't think we've seen her put her emotions into it, like Reina, Mizore or Asuka do.

She did work really hard to close the gap between her and Asuka. Still I wouldn't mind if Kumiko tease Reina with a line like "I will show you my feelings playing Euphonium for you" and then laugh. The way they both were making fun of the Mizore-Nozomi relationship was one great moment of episode 5 for me. They understand each other so well, the humour was great.

I'm eager to have more details about Kumiko's sister. She is the one who inspired Kumiko as a kid to begin with music, so it means they were in good terms ... a long time ago. Then big sis quit music for study (under the father's pressure maybe?) and now she quits college? Will Kumiko follow a similar path? Quit music for better chances of carriere like Aoi senpai did in season one? I'm curious about the moral at the end.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 10, 2016 8:07 AM
Nov 10, 2016 8:30 AM
Mar 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Flora92 said:

Done, sorry)

She did work really hard to close the gap between her and Asuka. Still I wouldn't mind if Kumiko tease Reina with a line like "I will show you my feelings playing Euphonium for you" and then laugh. The way they both were making fun of the Mizore-Nozomi relationship was one great moment of episode 5 for me. They understand each other so well, the humour was great.

I'm eager to have more details about Kumiko's sister. She is the one who inspired Kumiko as a kid to begin with music, so it means they were in good terms ... a long time ago. Then big sis quit music for study (under the father's pressure maybe?) and now she quits college? Will Kumiko follow a similar path? Quit music for better chances of carriere like Aoi senpai did in season one? I'm curious about the moral at the end.

Haha, yeah it was funny))

I don't think Kumiko will ever quit though. But it will be interesting to see what lesson she will learn from her sisters experience and how it'll change her and her perspective of playing in a band.
Nov 10, 2016 9:28 AM
Aug 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9yLGoIxBw
I found the song which they played at the beginning of the episode.
Nov 10, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Then again, what happened in this episode 6? Nothing. They met accidentaly, he still has a crush on her, she happened to depend on him for no other "apparent" reason than being scared in the dark. Nothing more. Now If we get a love confession or a Kumiko sudden change of heart after that on episode 7, I will think exactly like you : "that's shit". But there are still 6 episodes to go, that's something like a 2 hour movie, that's a lot of time and space for a slow and believable development ... or not. I mean, for me the show so far had almost no romance (nothing mutual between kumiko and shuuichi and surely nothing romantical between Kumiko and Reina) and it's great anyway. It all depends on the writing and the realisation. We'll see.

Last thing : it's not bad if for once developments aren't obvious from the start, so "not obvious" that many don't want to buy it.

But the way I see it, everything points towards that

Personally, I would probably prefer to see the anime remain open ended because I want all fans to love the anime for the music and the human interactions in it and not forget the level of details that have been put into it which make me personally consider it as one of the best anime in recent times.
Coronavirus.
Nov 10, 2016 11:28 AM

Feb 2008
The way Kumiko whimpered Reina's name made me melt.

Nov 10, 2016 11:41 AM

May 2015
Ok episode, but nothing special to remember.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 10, 2016 12:10 PM

Nov 2007
Reina needs reality slap ASAP.....i can't deal with her childish crush on Taki anymore.
Nov 10, 2016 3:21 PM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

Personally, I would probably prefer to see the anime remain open ended because I want all fans to love the anime for the music and the human interactions in it and not forget the level of details that have been put into it which make me personally consider it as one of the best anime in recent times.

I didn't read the "definite" spoiler because I have already been spoiled too much for my taste and prefer ignore the details as much as possible :)
I'm not a fan of open-end to be honest but if there is no romance at all, I'm ok too. Whatever may come, I just hope that it will be well explained and made believable at least from my point of view. From the quality seen so far, I'm optimistic they can handle this.
Nov 10, 2016 3:30 PM

May 2015
Woah, sensei is sure driving in a really old car. It was nice we got to learn a little bit more about him. Also, with that ending, guess we finally get to learn more about Asuka. Can't forget about Kumiko's sister as well.

Great episode as usual.

Nov 10, 2016 5:07 PM

Aug 2015

When I read about this to be a school cultural festival after episode five's greatness I wasn't so excited, but fortunately this episode exceeded my expectations! It had a lot of engaging scenes with a lot of story development.

The opening seems nicer this way, now I'm pretty excited to see what Hibike! has for us.

Nov 10, 2016 5:13 PM
Oct 2015
shanimebib said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I agree keep it open ended, its one thing if they set this up from the beginning but since they didn't don't go the Shu route since the show clearly aint going the Yuri one that it baited. But since Kyoani decided to adapt it the way they did leave it open ended so everyone can appreciate it. You said earlier that we were watching the show for reasons not so concrete (I'm not sure if you meant the show itself never actually planned to commit to KumixReina and would really just remain as subtext/bait; or that the show never actually had Yuri subtext to begin with). But I assume you met the former. What hurts me is the show handeld that subtext well. It never felt like pandering, it felt natural and the show executed episode 8 so well (eight was that episode right?) that I was completely on board. I have never been a Yuri guy, mostly because it always seems to be pandering with the exception of Ikuhara shows (and I don't particularly appreciate his method of storytelling). So when it became apparent the show was not going to do anything with all the goodwill it had created, it kind of stung. This also was the show that opened my eyes to what a wonderful studio Kyoani is and got me to retry K-On!! another one of my top 10 shows. So that dosen't make this any better for me. However, I think this season has still been some of the best tellevision we have had all year including the awkward Nozomi Mizore arc. Kumiko's VA has excelled this season with her natrulistic tone and Ribbons has had wonderful moments. Lets hope all fans can get an ending they are happy with because S1 and S2 deserved to be appreciated, Kyoani finds a way! [Forgive me if I rambled, I'm a little drunk as it has been my countries worst election for both sides possible for my life time. Pounding Budweiser is how im coping lmao :P]
Nov 10, 2016 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
Well, two highlights:

- Kumiko's sister is probably pregnant (to complicate things: was it with her teacher?)
- The new character in the end? I wonder, if that's Asuka's mother - will she drop out of school because they are moving away

...well, it's probably more on the lines with the fact that Asuka is in her last year and her mother wants to her go job hunting. She loves music, made some promise with her that she wants to stay in the club at least till preliminaries but now it's her time to say good-bye (3rd years in Japan rarely goes to school after New Year.

...and with Mamiko, well, it's obvious she loved music before but she's also eldest child of her father and that's why he pushes his ideals on her... he basically forced her to go to the college.. while her dream was to be a musician. That's why she hates her school and that's also why she has such weird relationship with her younger sister and she is simply jealous of her (that she can do what she wants). I bet this part is there also as a criticism of japanese society and its values.
Mich666Nov 10, 2016 5:54 PM
Nov 10, 2016 5:39 PM

Dec 2015
shanimebib said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I also agree that it should be open ended, Hibike! Euphonium is my favourite series and I think it would be a really nice way for it to end.
Nov 10, 2016 6:40 PM

Sep 2013
Haruka Fujita is going to direct ep7 so I'll expect something good in the next episode (she's the god who directed S1E8 and S2E1 afterall).
Nov 10, 2016 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
Taki’s Eurydice, does she have a name? Or shall we know her only by what she became, “his wife”. Sounds like the best thing she ever did for him was dying. In order for him to realise the error of his ways and become the woman she never could be. Her replacement for the kind but incompetent -female- advisor dismissively removed from the narrative by maternity leave - of all things. Will “Taki’s wife” posthumously be revealed to have been a lovable pixie of a girl?
Don’t take this seemingly cynical approach to such a heart warming story too seriously. Offenbach didn’t. He rewrote it as satire and he too must have met his fair share of Trump like characters in his time. In lesser hands this story could easily have turned into farce then back into tragedy… but this isn’t … surely … please, remain seated, we’re not quite done yet.

Oh Undine, Undine where art thou when one needs thee Ondine…? Did she she get dropped in to somewhat revive Daphnis and Chloe? Their symbolic performance undone by Polovtsian Dances in this adaptation.
Nov 10, 2016 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
A very nice layering effect in this ep. First we have an amusing first half at the festival with the foreshadowing of the storm, then the typhoon arrives and the mood shifts. Kumiko's sister wants to drop out of college (why? we wonder. Did something happen?), then Kumiko heads out into the storm to escape the tension, only to encounter Taki-sensei buying flowers for his late wife. Taki-sensei is based as ever and keeps Kumiko mainly in the dark about his situation, but revealing just enough to add to the layers of drama in this series. That ending. What will next week bring to Asuka?
Nov 10, 2016 7:20 PM
Aug 2014
Oh boy, the ratings of this fantastic anime will drop like hell thanks to those who bought the bait... Well is Kyoani's fault.
Nov 10, 2016 11:53 PM

Nov 2007
dm106 said:
Oh boy, the ratings of this fantastic anime will drop like hell thanks to those who bought the bait... Well is Kyoani's fault.

If you are talking about MAL ratings then most likely 'yes'. Which would be a shame. And it will be KyoAni's fault for the MAL ratings. However, Musaigen's rating in MAL was actually way better than its TV ratings in Japan. It didn't help KyoAni. Likewise, MAL's low rating won't influence neither the TV ratings in Japan (which seems to be pretty good according to docomo, kadokawa and anikore) nor the disc sales; I am anticipating something around 7.5K+ per volume at least in opposed to 8.3K+ per volume for S1 which would be an excellent return in current weak market.
Coronavirus.
Nov 11, 2016 4:07 AM

Dec 2014
not fan of Shuuichi >_> KumikoxReina all the way

I have a feel that Reina has no chance for Taki-sensei since he will always remember his passed wife

I'm so curious about Kumiko's sister dropping out and I hope they reveal her own reason for that
Nov 11, 2016 5:39 AM

Apr 2016
Which reminds me the age gap : 19 years. So Taki sensei could have been technically the father of Kumiko even though the florist said he seems too young. Politeness I suppose.
Nov 11, 2016 7:45 AM
Aug 2014
shanimebib said:
dm106 said:

If you are talking about MAL ratings then most likely 'yes'. Which would be a shame. And it will be KyoAni's fault for the MAL ratings. However, Musaigen's rating in MAL was actually way better than its TV ratings in Japan. It didn't help KyoAni. Likewise, MAL's low rating won't influence neither the TV ratings in Japan (which seems to be pretty good according to docomo, kadokawa and anikore) nor the disc sales; I am anticipating something around 7.5K+ per volume at least in opposed to 8.3K+ per volume for S1 which would be an excellent return in current weak market.

I totally agree. MAL ratings means nothing. What I was implying was that Hibike's fanbase in this community will suffer because of the way Kyonani adapted the source material. No doubt is doing good in Japan.
Nov 11, 2016 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
I just love this show when everyone get development (except our male lead, Shuichi).
First half of this episode is kinda normal. School's festival, with some member of concert band show up. Kumiko reaction with Asuka's teasing is kinda gold. It's really funny there. Then, the haunted house from Reina class. Shuichi and Kumiko met there and although there would be a sweet moment between the two, Reina came and got her "waifu" again XD.

The second half is really good. We can see Kumiko's sister that want to drop out of university. I don't know why but I think she is bullied there? (Got bullied in University?? Are u serious man?). Then Kumiko told her sister that her sister is contradicting with what she said to Kumiko before. I kinda love Kumiko decision to escape from that gloomy mood. Obviously, she didn't want to get into that unpleasant mood (actually, I will go out too if the mood around me is unpleasant).

After that, she met Taki-sensei and we get his backstory too. Taki-sensei is really a good man that really loves his wife with all his heart and that flower symbolism proves that he is a faithful man. I feel sorry for you, Reina. And then that cliffhanger coming. I know it's the best time for Asuka-senpai, the most beautiful member with the most mysteries to get some development here. Asuka's drama is coming and of course, as always Kumiko will be observant for this drama like what she had done before.

Btw this eps get 5/5 from me because of the nice buildup for Asuka's arc
WhyZigleNov 11, 2016 8:02 AM
Nov 11, 2016 9:12 AM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Which reminds me the age gap : 19 years. So Taki sensei could have been technically the father of Kumiko even though the florist said he seems too young. Politeness I suppose.

Florist: Your daughter?

That was a subtle reminder of the society's view on situations involving age gap. This also come as pricking to many because of how young Kumiko (and in the overall picture, Reina) is. Like I said in one of my previous posts in a different episode discussion thread — add 7 or 8 years to their age (that would make them 42 and 23) and it doesn't look that glaring anymore because by that time, both of them are complete adults. And as more time passes, it becomes less and less of an issue despite being at the mercy in society's eyes. In the end, it should be the matter of the people involved and not anyone else. But then Taki-sensei's response.

Taki-sensei: My student.

You might have missed the other issue, which is albeit a much bigger issue in the eye's of the society. With just two consecutive sentences Reina's obstacles had been well defined. But that again won't remain an issue in the eyes of the society once she graduates and no longer his student.

Yet the biggest and almost unassailable obstacle Reina has to overcome is Taki-sensei's deceased wife and the place his wife holds in his heart. And the saddest part of all these is the fact that Reina is not even aware of her biggest obstacle. Which is also hurting for Kumiko as she took a glimpse on the person so precious to her. Kumiko's face as she looked at Reina was one of the most well thought-out expressions I have come across in anime. She didn't let her sadness show in her face because she wouldn't want Reina to find out.

Someone also mentioned in a post that whether we would get to know the personality of Taki-sensei's deceased wife, whether she was a cheerful or a more serious type. Well, you don't have to ask that since KyoAni covered that in a single frame in the final episode of season 1 as Taki-sensei caressed a certain someone's face in a photo attached to the last page of his conducting instruction's sheet. They say a single picture can say more than a thousand words. This anime needs closer attention than we think it does.

Takeda's writing aside, KyoAni has been at their very best in season 2. This was on par with some of the best things I have seen from Kyoto Animation. Queue in HTT's plans for next year after that concert or Yuuko's "Nano is Nano!", or Tamako dropping her mochi-shaped stone in the water, or Kyon's monologues on the rooftop standing in front of Nagato or, Tomoya's father telling him "I wonder if I have finished things already" or, many other moments that KyoAni has produced masterfully in the last decade or so. This season, Hibike! Euphonium seems to have finally stepped up and showing off its pedigree to be considered as one of KyoAni's finest works. Up until now, this has undoubtedly been their finest TV series since Nichijou, their best in the past 5 years.

Oops! I flipped my KyoAni switch to On for a moment there.
Coronavirus.
Nov 11, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
Very pretty and peaceful episode, I am intrigued by the ending of the episode as well!
Nov 11, 2016 11:36 AM

Mar 2011
First half was pretty fun, I can't believe she ate all of that...
I would really like to see more screentime for Shuichi, I liked the few times in second half of season 1 in which we got to see more of him.
I hope he get to see more of Kumiko's sister, S1 left me with questions about their relationship. It's either Kumiko's sister got pregnant, or she f*cked up with her scores at college. Or even both.
And now we'll get to know more about Asuka, finally, what I was waiting for.
Nov 11, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

Oops! I flipped my KyoAni switch to On for a moment there.

I noticed that you're pretty enthusiastic about this anime ;)
I am too, even though I didn't like everything from Kyoani.

Regarding the age gap between Reina and her crush, it's true that 30 - 50 is less shocking that 15 - 35 for a couple. About taki sensei feelings, if I may be a bit cynical, a deceased wife is less an obstacle than a living beloved wife and at one point people move on, not that I particularly ship Reina-Taki sensei, I just wish at one point she finds happiness with whomever it may be.
Ysad_ZiwezhanNov 11, 2016 12:32 PM
Nov 11, 2016 1:17 PM

Jul 2016
I just want some freaking Reina And Kumiko ships going on here lmao
Nov 11, 2016 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
Reina X Kumiko forever. But seriously even if that isn't a ship meant to sail it really makes no sense from the narrative perspective at this point for Kumiko to go with Shuichi beyond the simple fact they're childhood friends. Their scenes never seem to carry any weight, there's been zero indication Kumiko's feelings are mutual and they haven't shared much screentime together.

It really reminds me of Angelic Layer

From a writing standpoint it's better KyoAni abandons the novel's connection and writes its own for the sake of this adaptation.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 12, 2016 12:14 AM

Mar 2009
No idea why people think Kumiko's sister is pregnant. Was there ever anything hinting at that?

Natsuki looked gorgeous in her maid outfit. Also, was that Asuka's mother at the end?
Nov 12, 2016 12:18 AM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
I noticed that you're pretty enthusiastic about this anime ;)

Tell me about it! I have waited for years since I got something this good from Kyoto Animation, my favourite studio. I didn't get to see more of Nichijou or Hyouka (the latter lacked source material's progression so it's understandable). Left disappointed with Chuunibyou Ren which paled in comparison to the first season. They stopped just before the source material got to the better parts in Amaburi. Even in their original story, I wanted to forget the torture named 'Dera' in Tamako Market. The entire Musaigen Madness making them a laughing stock (completely throwing out the source material, which was pretty solid, in a basket and pulling off the worst original story ever), and pretty good but nothing really spectacular shows like Free! and Kyoukai no Kanata to fill in the voids.

Tamako Love Story, a direct sequel of and with a tremendous improvement from Tamako Market, was really the only shining light in my growing list of disappointments over the past five years.

The movie got its due recognition in the 18th Japan Media Arts Festival (which gives awards to Live Action, International Featured Films, International Animation Featured Films, TV Drama and other mediums of entertainment).

The Jury said:
This movie (Tamako Love Story) can be described as having reached the highest point of contemporary Japanese animation. Seen from global perspective, Japanese animation has a unique development; indeed, the perspective of finding fresh emotions in casual daily life is its uniqueness. If we watch this movie's images attentively, we find sharp sensibility, craftsmanship as animator, and calculations as director, backed by a strong will. The jury is convinced that the genre 'Japanimation' is exactly represented by this work (and thus it has been granted this award).

As far as TV series go, I have really high hope that KyoAni will be able to get this right for the first time in a long, long while with Hibike! Euphonium. Their VN adaptations aside, this will be their first adaptation that has its original source material being concluded. At this point of time, even though they have closely followed the original source material compared to the previous season, I don't care whether they stick with it or not until the end. All I want to see is something rounded up properly like they did with Tamako Love Story (the only 10/10 anime in my book from KyoAni since Nichijou).

I still haven't seen Koe no Katachi. I loved the manga and comments from renowned figures like Makoto Shinkai make me all the more excited!

Makoto Shinkai said:
I watched the pre-screening for "Koe no Katachi". It's a fantastic piece of work. Handled with such earnestness and care, the work successfully depicted a beautiful range of art, colors, and emotions. It was a polished and grand production, that, no matter how much you wanted to replicate, simply can't. Although everyone in the cast was wonderful, personally I was awestruck with Irino Miyu's (Shouya's) acting. It was amazing.

I am also eagerly waiting for Violet Evergarden and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, the latter contains definite shoujo-ai, which would be Kyoto Animation's first!

Oh! My God! There I went with it again! Okay, I have calmed down now. I have calmed down now.
Coronavirus.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.