Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 17, 2016 6:02 PM

Apr 2015
Their attempt to mix traditional 2D with 3D made the experience worse.
Sep 17, 2016 6:14 PM
Apr 2016
szympus11 said:
Why even bother with this cgi trash adaptation.

The show is ugly but it's not like they changed the plot drastically. They chose to focus on some aspects that they didn't focus on in the manga.
Sep 17, 2016 9:48 PM

Jan 2011
Manga elitists would be better received if their biggest gripe over their favorite manga wasn't about the animation.
Sep 18, 2016 7:46 AM

Mar 2010
Damn, this CGI is annoying to watch, but Berserk is just sooooo gooooood, I have to watch it.

Manga is definitely best
Sep 18, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2009
The animation was better in some parts, especially Griffith's parts, if the same studio does the 2nd season they could do something like they did with the last episode, there was some parts that was really good...7/10, I love Berserk, it's a masterpiece, but it's not a total joy watching it with the CGI that bad.
Sep 18, 2016 12:50 PM

Mar 2015
All haters are like girls, who say, that appearance and wealth is not important, while masturbating on Justin Bieber and One Direction...If Berserk is looks like Steve Buscemi or Willem Dafoe, i like it more, than if all it had is a cute appearence.
Sep 18, 2016 10:13 PM
Jul 2009
Only thing that made me cringe during this episode was the weird animation to Griffiths face, when he turns his head and looks at the viewer it almost felt like some cheap doll knock off of Griffith it hurt. Are there any still images of this scene? I need to cringe again.
Jasmin12eSep 18, 2016 10:23 PM
Sep 19, 2016 1:46 AM

Sep 2015
It was not impressive at all, nothing that worth noting or mentioning but in other hand it was not that bad either, I think it was not an utter garbage like people made it seems to be. I still had little enjoyment while watching it, I still waited patiently week by week till it finished. Honestly it was because of this I started to take a read at the manga and like other fans said, it is a disgrace to even compare the two. Manga is far more superior, nothing to add here.

And finally I could see Schierke animated. I do not a fan of loli characters and the like but this one is an exception. I am not eager for second season, but perhaps I will still follow it, or perhaps not I will let the hand of fate decides it for me.

Overall 5/10.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Sep 19, 2016 5:23 AM
May 2012
Will still watch season 2 for the Berserker and Schierke.
Not that bad in my opinion.
Sep 19, 2016 3:10 PM

Mar 2009
Griffith face reveal was so dissapointing. However I love this show, I don't mind the CGI at all, being a Kingdom fan. Looking forward to next season.
Sep 20, 2016 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
A very generous 6/10 from me despite being a fan of the manga series.
looking forward to season 2
Sep 21, 2016 6:49 AM
Mar 2012
I'll watch s2. Story's interesting, some deeper characterizations were surprising & nice.
Hope they improve their weird camera directing, fix their art & sound.
Sep 21, 2016 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
Jasmin12e said:
Only thing that made me cringe during this episode was the weird animation to Griffiths face, when he turns his head and looks at the viewer it almost felt like some cheap doll knock off of Griffith it hurt. Are there any still images of this scene? I need to cringe again.

I think they did that on purpose, just so you would cringe.

Jokes aside, I think he looks like that for a reason, however I didn't read the Manga, so its an assumption based on the fact that he's a "new" Griffiths.
Sep 21, 2016 9:50 PM
Jul 2009
SaitoHajime said:
Jasmin12e said:

Jokes aside, I think he looks like that for a reason, however I didn't read the Manga, so its an assumption based on the fact that he's a "new" Griffiths.

I feel like, from far away he looked fine? Like I didn't have a problem with his face when he was looking at the beast petting its head, it was just this single shot just felt so...lazy? Maybe i'm just picky.
Sep 21, 2016 10:15 PM

Jun 2009
Jasmin12e said:
SaitoHajime said:

I feel like, from far away he looked fine? Like I didn't have a problem with his face when he was looking at the beast petting its head, it was just this single shot just felt so...lazy? Maybe i'm just picky.

You're probably right, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Sep 22, 2016 5:55 AM

Jun 2016
Drawings least called, hurting my eyes.
Story with a lot of missing things ? (past maybe???)
Too much side-characters if you ask me.
I could only hope season 2 would be better.
Sep 23, 2016 1:14 PM

Mar 2010
FUCK the next arc is when shit gets more awesome. whatever I enjoyed myself

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 24, 2016 12:03 PM
Sep 25, 2016 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
Gets a 7/10

Man I wish Nina had died long ago, she was so freaking useless.

Ohz hai Griffith.
Sep 25, 2016 1:59 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
WHAT A GREAT GOOD ENDING !!!!!! Everyone survived and Guts is off to pursue Griffith! Much Much better ending than the original Berserk! I marathoned this whole series in 1 day cause it was SO EXCITING, EXCITEMENT IN EVERY EPISODE! Old Berserk was good but slower paced. Also in Berserk 2016, we got to see Guts fight evil monsters in CGI which is just epic! I understand now why they chose to continue to adapt Berserk in CGI. This feels so ALIVE! Old Berserk was classic story, but Berserk 2016 represents the BADASSERY of Guts as he ventures on his journey to tear apart 3D monsters as opposed to just troops in Old Berserk.

The only real thing I can agree with anyone on the complaints of the anime is how the camera pans and zooms sometimes not giving a clear shot what's going on. But as I realized, the new Berserk CGI adds ALIVE AND REALISM to the anime. Therefore the action could be interpreted as chaotic style where it kinda tries putting you in first person view as Guts cause as Guts, sometimes you can't see where an attack is coming from until it hits. So suddenly the camera pans to an incoming sword attack rather than show the picture of everything/everyone on screen.

I am one of the few that prefers Berserk 2016 more than Old Berserk though I like both. They may have skipped few arcs, but story came together nicely regardless. I think Berserk 2016 adapted the MOST EXCITING ARCS, more my kind of anime, which gave it an advantage over Old Berserk! And the fast pacing and action kept me on the seat wanting to watch and watch. Casca turned White, but that was only in the Opening. In the anime she was totally fine, and though I'm no manga reader, I'm pleased it was a faithful adaption like I got to see the Rape Horse scene where everyone was hyping for. I am really looking forward to this well deserved Season 2 in Spring!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 25, 2016 2:23 AM

Dec 2012
The end seems rushed. but the anime was not so bad. At first, I was really disappointed by the CGI and I even thought to drop it and then the quality increased a lot. Some scenes were epic, so for sure, I will watch the second season.
Sep 25, 2016 7:58 AM

Apr 2010
Brilliant. Best looking anime to date. The future of anime is bright.
Sep 25, 2016 8:16 PM

Sep 2014
antonn said:
Brilliant. Best looking anime to date. The future of anime is bright.
with that sakura avatar too doe
Sep 25, 2016 9:09 PM

Sep 2014
finally watched this episode. very lackluster atmosphere. just so underwhelming.

terrible animation aside i think this anime had potential. the bigging was just too harsh for it to really give it umph. they should have probably played it safe and kept it wholely to the dark age arc. and gave bits of narration to reintorduce" the series. they're already doing that with the opening sequence of the anime they didnt have to make such a big mess of things.
Sep 29, 2016 1:44 PM

Mar 2011
Was alright despite animation style.

thing that I hated the most?

The blond bitch didn't die...
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Sep 30, 2016 12:14 AM

Oct 2015
The series was okay but was a little disappointing in the end. The naked Griffith in the end was awkward and pretty gay. Good riddance to Nina for leaving and i hope i wont be seeing her come back on season 3.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 30, 2016 7:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Griffith never died!!!!

Nice season, and wait the next spring to begin to watch the second!!!!

8/10.
Sep 30, 2016 8:00 AM

Apr 2014
Wait. A sequel was announced? How long are they gonna make the reputation Berserk go beyond disappointment?
Well, the manga was on a hiatus again too. So the bad reputation was rising.
Anyway, I will rate this anime a 6 out of 10 score over all. I'm being generous now.
Haters always gonna hate.
Sep 30, 2016 11:09 AM

Mar 2016
I gave up on this anime, but then I heard about this ploy of further delaying it.

Haha, fuck this series, big time. They know it's so bad, they have to milk it for as long as possible or maybe think given enough time, people will forget how bad it is.

I can't believe I'm saying this: I hated Studio 4C's Berserk more than anything, but even it looks amazing AND gorgeous compared to this series.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Oct 1, 2016 4:44 PM

Feb 2013
So Griffith was born. It's a good thing I watched the movies first.

4/10 (below average)
The 2nd half was a lot better than the first. The darker/twisted/evil stuff is where this series shines. The rest, not so much.
Oct 4, 2016 2:59 AM

Apr 2014
Well this was a fucking mess.
Oct 13, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2012
If only this new anime was all the time 2D animation.
At first I hated it but i watched one after one , they skipped some scene but who care

6/10

lol people be Kentaro Miura should be ashamed for agreeing his work to be animated in CGI
man be thankful for what u got

Oct 23, 2016 9:00 PM

Mar 2016
Had to post this after my friend showed me:

http://inactivenobody.tumblr.com/post/152087880542/side-by-side-comparison-between-the-blu-ray-left

I hate this series even more now. What a shady practice. Everyone should boycott this anime, just so others don't follow this kind of bullshit marketing "strategy".

If you don't want to click the link:

Blu Ray vs TV broadcast
CrimsonCWOct 23, 2016 9:21 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Oct 24, 2016 3:23 AM

Apr 2013
RealCW said:

http://inactivenobody.tumblr.com/post/152087880542/side-by-side-comparison-between-the-blu-ray-left

I hate this series even more now. What a shady practice. Everyone should boycott this anime, just so others don't follow this kind of bullshit marketing "strategy".

Blu Ray vs TV broadcast

Such difference lol. But it's common marketing strategy in Japan, it seems. Dragon Ball Super did the exact same thing.

Hopefully the 2nd season of Berserk can have something closer to the BR release?

Oct 24, 2016 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
Lord_Odous said:
RealCW said:

Blu Ray vs TV broadcast

Such difference lol. But it's common marketing strategy in Japan, it seems. Dragon Ball Super did the exact same thing.

Hopefully the 2nd season of Berserk can have something closer to the BR release?

That is such backwards marketing to me. I can see the point of little enhancements (and indeed, DBS is nowhere near as bad as Berserk was), but shouldn't you make people want to buy your series?

And also, doesn't it cost more to produce any other version, crappy as it may be? Why not just do your best, show your best, and offer more little perks for those who buy it?

Imagine if Hollywood implemented this strategy. You can't see the *real* movie unless you buy it, and the theater versions are acted instead by a group of high school students vs big name actors.

Oct 24, 2016 7:41 PM

Apr 2013
RealCW said:
Lord_Odous said:

That is such backwards marketing to me. I can see the point of little enhancements (and indeed, DBS is nowhere near as bad as Berserk was), but shouldn't you make people want to buy your series?

And also, doesn't it cost more to produce any other version, crappy as it may be? Why not just do your best, show your best, and offer more little perks for those who buy it?

Imagine if Hollywood implemented this strategy. You can't see the *real* movie unless you buy it, and the theater versions are acted instead by a group of high school students vs big name actors.

My guess would be Berserk (2016) suffers from an inexplicable low budget and created by a newbie studio GEMBA, who most likely is terribly understaffed and probably lacking in experience (most notably the facial expressions and movements of human characters). It's very likely they had to rush out the TV episodes in time and resulted in crappy results.

As for the BR release, they had more time to refine it, find the right formula and thus much better results. After all, they had to rely on the BR and DVD sales to make some money back for the production of S2.

It's really sad to see something as glorious as Berserk unable to secure a large production budget. Anyhow, S2 is confirmed, Miura-sensei is still the man supervising it, if they really found the right recipe to improve the show, by all means, entertain us.

(Just my 2 cents, feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
Lord_OdousOct 24, 2016 7:45 PM

Oct 25, 2016 11:22 AM

Mar 2016
Lord_Odous said:
RealCW said:

My guess would be Berserk (2016) suffers from an inexplicable low budget and created by a newbie studio GEMBA, who most likely is terribly understaffed and probably lacking in experience (most notably the facial expressions and movements of human characters). It's very likely they had to rush out the TV episodes in time and resulted in crappy results.

As for the BR release, they had more time to refine it, find the right formula and thus much better results. After all, they had to rely on the BR and DVD sales to make some money back for the production of S2.

It's really sad to see something as glorious as Berserk unable to secure a large production budget. Anyhow, S2 is confirmed, Miura-sensei is still the man supervising it, if they really found the right recipe to improve the show, by all means, entertain us.

(Just my 2 cents, feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

I did a little more research on the BR as well, and it's not even most of the show; I guess it's just the parts that were the worst. So... most of the show will still be incredibly awkward to look at.

The pacing and a lot of little story details were wrong to me, which is why I like Berserk so much. Such attention went into every little nook and cranny; it's admirable.

Little things, like the Holy Iron Chain Knights stripping Guts of all armor right there on the battlefield BEFORE the haul him in. Why do that and make even more work for your battered troops to then have to lug it all?
Little things like that add up quick.

Hmm, I don't get why you're excited that "S2 is confirmed". Wasn't it always? It said 24 episodes before it even started, so, that was a given already, I thought.

It still blows my mind that Berserk is the #1 rated manga and it gets the low budget treatment. It should be given the HxH or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure treatment. That would be a perfect way to adapt it, but I think I know the problem.

Berserk's level of violence and nudity and everything else makes it extremely hard to run on TV, so, it's a double edged sword.

The last chance for a truly great adaption is when the manga finally finishes (or is announced to be almost done), then someone has the opportunity to do it all, correctly, so long as they can work around the violence content (but hey, that's what the BR's are for, right?).

But even then, I seriously doubt it'll be done correctly. I have an inkling it'll be cut down as well, since someone will have to do the Golden Age arc AGAIN, for the third time and now even the Conviction arc for the second time.

Older adaptations can ruin newer ones just on the basis that it's been done already.

Oct 25, 2016 8:55 PM

Apr 2013
RealCW said:

I did a little more research on the BR as well, and it's not even most of the show; I guess it's just the parts that were the worst. So... most of the show will still be incredibly awkward to look at.

The pacing and a lot of little story details were wrong to me, which is why I like Berserk so much. Such attention went into every little nook and cranny; it's admirable.

Little things, like the Holy Iron Chain Knights stripping Guts of all armor right there on the battlefield BEFORE the haul him in. Why do that and make even more work for your battered troops to then have to lug it all?

Hmm, I don't get why you're excited that "S2 is confirmed". Wasn't it always? It said 24 episodes before it even started, so, that was a given already, I thought.

It still blows my mind that Berserk is the #1 rated manga and it gets the low budget treatment. It should be given the HxH or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure treatment. That would be a perfect way to adapt it, but I think I know the problem.

Berserk's level of violence and nudity and everything else makes it extremely hard to run on TV, so, it's a double edged sword.

The last chance for a truly great adaption is when the manga finally finishes (or is announced to be almost done), then someone has the opportunity to do it all, correctly, so long as they can work around the violence content (but hey, that's what the BR's are for, right?).

But even then, I seriously doubt it'll be done correctly. I have an inkling it'll be cut down as well, since someone will have to do the Golden Age arc AGAIN, for the third time and now even the Conviction arc for the second time.

Older adaptations can ruin newer ones just on the basis that it's been done already.

Yes it was listed as 24 episodes before it started airing, then MAL changed it to 12 episodes after it begun airing. Maybe it changed to split cours and I misinterpreted it but there's always the possibility that the studios are not making sufficient profit and thus the project is scrapped. Luckily it didn't happen that way.

As for the armor part, they removed Guts' armor immediately after as it will make him less resistant. He will be much lighter to drag around, and if he decided to resist somewhere in the middle, it will be much easier to subdue him being naked than trying to knock some sense to him through some heavy armor. I think it's pretty much a given to remove his armor as soon as you brought him down, unless he's dead.

When the manga finally ends (who knows when will that be), depending on the studios' interest, we might have a truly glorious adaptation, or a crappy adaptation like this one, or none at all. Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin, for example, did not receive any newer adaptations after being completed, their anime adaptations ended before the endpoint of the manga.

Based on the current trend, where anime are mostly made in the one-cour or two-cour format, it is difficult to foresee how Berserk will receive an adaptation consisting of hundreds of episodes. Unless we have true fans handling the adaptation, like how David Production handled JoJo, then it's good.

Until now, it's all speculation until the day the manga finally ends.

Oct 26, 2016 6:12 AM

Mar 2016
Lord_Odous said:
RealCW said:

Yes it was listed as 24 episodes before it started airing, then MAL changed it to 12 episodes after it begun airing. Maybe it changed to split cours and I misinterpreted it but there's always the possibility that the studios are not making sufficient profit and thus the project is scrapped. Luckily it didn't happen that way.

As for the armor part, they removed Guts' armor immediately after as it will make him less resistant. He will be much lighter to drag around, and if he decided to resist somewhere in the middle, it will be much easier to subdue him being naked than trying to knock some sense to him through some heavy armor. I think it's pretty much a given to remove his armor as soon as you brought him down, unless he's dead.

When the manga finally ends (who knows when will that be), depending on the studios' interest, we might have a truly glorious adaptation, or a crappy adaptation like this one, or none at all. Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin, for example, did not receive any newer adaptations after being completed, their anime adaptations ended before the endpoint of the manga.

Based on the current trend, where anime are mostly made in the one-cour or two-cour format, it is difficult to foresee how Berserk will receive an adaptation consisting of hundreds of episodes. Unless we have true fans handling the adaptation, like how David Production handled JoJo, then it's good.

I guess. I think the manga did it right though by just not showing Guts be stripped of equipment at all. He's brought down, cut, next scene, he's in camp stripped down. Then that quandary is never even brought up.
Funny how the story is already perfectly told right there and they just have to follow it, and they can't even do that.

Kenshin did get an adaptation of the later arc (though not complete), in the form of films branded Samurai X when it finished. There was no hope left for the anime at that point, because the filler saga had already killed any chance of that being adapted, to say nothing on how it would've fit with tons of filler beforehand.
And I feel they never redid it completely, only because the anime nailed the middle section so flawlessly, it would've been a massive retread. It's a double-edged sword, the anime series. Almost a paradox where you do one thing perfectly, then screw up the next part.

I do agree; people who are fans should be in charge of doing the adaptation, if preferable. This is akin to a director making a film out of a series they truly love.
I don't even like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at all, but I have to admit they handled and adapted it almost perfectly. And JoJo is no tame, easy on violence kind of show; so if that could work, there's no excuse why Berserk can't.

We've gotten the Eclipse and even now the Conviction arc shown on television with the gore only somewhat toned down, but the impact all still there. Then it can be uncut on BR; I guess I don't see the problem.
Someone just needs to do it right. And NOT in CG. The actual hand drawn animation this series can do is pretty good and represents the manga well enough, and the designs are way better than the 4c films.
And even the original anime did a good job in that regard too. It captured Berserk fairly well. So this whole it has to be CG because it'd be too expensive otherwise is BS. They're not putting enough faith in it, is the issue.

Funny how for all the money they wasted on the 4C films and this lousy new series; they could've made one truly excellent series. But they've just got 2 (more like 6) failures instead.

And honestly, CG can look good. I recall JoJo having a CG opening that was pretty cool, and I'm not sure if you've ever played on a 3DS, but any of the Fire Emblem games all have CG cutscenes that are absolutely amazing in quality. Honestly, I could watch a whole series with that kind of animation and I would love it.
So, it can work really well when done right. It's pretty common knowledge, though that even for CG, Berserk's quality is absolutely abysmal.

Check out the FE scenes on Youtube (just search) if you're curious. I don't want to post an unrelated video here.
CrimsonCWOct 26, 2016 6:20 AM

Oct 26, 2016 10:43 AM

Apr 2013
RealCW said:
Lord_Odous said:

I guess. I think the manga did it right though by just not showing Guts be stripped of equipment at all. He's brought down, cut, next scene, he's in camp stripped down. Then that quandary is never even brought up.
Funny how the story is already perfectly told right there and they just have to follow it, and they can't even do that.

Kenshin did get an adaptation of the later arc (though not complete), in the form of films branded Samurai X when it finished. There was no hope left for the anime at that point, because the filler saga had already killed any chance of that being adapted, to say nothing on how it would've fit with tons of filler beforehand.
And I feel they never redid it completely, only because the anime nailed the middle section so flawlessly, it would've been a massive retread. It's a double-edged sword, the anime series. Almost a paradox where you do one thing perfectly, then screw up the next part.

I do agree; people who are fans should be in charge of doing the adaptation, if preferable. This is akin to a director making a film out of a series they truly love.
I don't even like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at all, but I have to admit they handled and adapted it almost perfectly. And JoJo is no tame, easy on violence kind of show; so if that could work, there's no excuse why Berserk can't.

We've gotten the Eclipse and even now the Conviction arc shown on television with the gore only somewhat toned down, but the impact all still there. Then it can be uncut on BR; I guess I don't see the problem.
Someone just needs to do it right. And NOT in CG. The actual hand drawn animation this series can do is pretty good and represents the manga well enough, and the designs are way better than the 4c films.
And even the original anime did a good job in that regard too. It captured Berserk fairly well. So this whole it has to be CG because it'd be too expensive otherwise is BS. They're not putting enough faith in it, is the issue.

Funny how for all the money they wasted on the 4C films and this lousy new series; they could've made one truly excellent series. But they've just got 2 (more like 6) failures instead.

And honestly, CG can look good. I recall JoJo having a CG opening that was pretty cool, and I'm not sure if you've ever played on a 3DS, but any of the Fire Emblem games all have CG cutscenes that are absolutely amazing in quality. Honestly, I could watch a whole series with that kind of animation and I would love it.
So, it can work really well when done right. It's pretty common knowledge, though that even for CG, Berserk's quality is absolutely abysmal.

Check out the FE scenes on Youtube (just search) if you're curious. I don't want to post an unrelated video here.

I'd say the anime industry is entering a transitional phase regarding the usage of CG. The use of it is undoubtedly increased over the years, with many shows incorporating in moving vehicles, depicting a vast sea of people walking, etc etc. But for most part anime is still made using hand-drawn animation, which is something most animators are used to in Japan.

Using full CG animation to create anime, I believe the experience is still lacking, and this extends to the budget utilization where they might have not fully grasped yet. I have yet to watch another full CG anime other than Berserk, so I dare not comment further on this.

Sadly I do not own a 3DS, I've seen some FE videos, while good, I believe the better examples, albeit a bit far-fetched, would be the recent movies made by Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks. Then again, anime can't dream of having such a colossal budget, for now.

Oct 26, 2016 10:52 AM

Mar 2016
Lord_Odous said:
RealCW said:

I'd say the anime industry is entering a transitional phase regarding the usage of CG. The use of it is undoubtedly increased over the years, with many shows incorporating in moving vehicles, depicting a vast sea of people walking, etc etc. But for most part anime is still made using hand-drawn animation, which is something most animators are used to in Japan.

Using full CG animation to create anime, I believe the experience is still lacking, and this extends to the budget utilization where they might have not fully grasped yet. I have yet to watch another full CG anime other than Berserk, so I dare not comment further on this.

Sadly I do not own a 3DS, I've seen some FE videos, while good, I believe the better examples, albeit a bit far-fetched, would be the recent movies made by Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks. Then again, anime can't dream of having such a colossal budget, for now.

Yeah, I notice CG in a lot of moving objects in modern anime, but so long as it fits the objects, like a bus or whatever else that's inanimate, I really don't have a problem with it. It's when it's the characters or used as a substitute for movement.

But, see, those films are wholly different CG to me. When I compare a Pixar film, or what most CG looks like in a movie, it's its own thing; almost incomparable to anything but other films like it.

The reason I used FE as an example because it still looks like hand drawn anime, despite being 3D. And I feel that if anime has to be CG to cut costs, I would be totally okay with it looking like that.

What kills CG like in Berserk to me is how it's only used to cut costs, rather than its own thing. In a lot of shots, it switches back to hand-drawn again and it never stays the same. That's even worse, because then they REALLY stick out, especially when it's on the characters.

That's another plus to what FE did; it never deviates from that style.

By the way, here's the actual video of them promoting these AMAZING (/sarcasm) changes:

You know your anime is in a sorry state when you have to showoff mundane "fixes" like THE LOOSE RIBBON ON GUTS' SWORD MOVES NOW!11!
CrimsonCWOct 26, 2016 10:57 AM

Nov 7, 2016 3:57 PM

May 2012
While I'm still not a fan of the CGI art style, the overall intense action sure was lovely and to be expected from Berserk!

That said, it was a pretty okay anime in general, but I did still prefer the original anime series.
Dec 1, 2016 6:33 AM

Mar 2015
Looking forward to the second season already, this one definitely feels far from over!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 6, 2016 6:32 PM
Dec 2014
The animation is really important in an anime adaptation of an action manga of this caliber. First the CGI made the action not impressive and difficult to watch.It also make the anime not serious believe or not I laughed at torture scene in the anime.
5/10,4 points for the story and 1 points for the humour.
Dec 12, 2016 6:10 AM

May 2015
not great but it's not as bad as everyone makes it to be
Jan 15, 2017 12:58 PM

Mar 2015
what a disgrace this was...the ones who made it should go to prison for making such mockery out of creator's work. I really feel sorry for Miura who probably worked his ass off for the godtier art in the manga to be turned to turned in this pile of shit by some retards.

LE: I just checked out their previous work:
Millepensee
GEMBA

And they will also be doing the 2nd season...
MikeHunt69Jan 15, 2017 1:11 PM
Jan 19, 2017 10:08 AM
Jan 2017
2/10. it's a shame that a manga like Berserk got such trash adaptation
Apr 9, 2017 12:29 PM

Apr 2009
I absolutely hated the first few episodes, then after the disappointment and revulsion with the garbage CG and by and large awful soundtrack started to wear off I was able to start enjoying it despite the flawed mess it was. Maybe that was just some sort of Stockholm syndrome taking effect, I admit it's possible. At any rate, on some level I as able to appreciate seeing post-Golden Arc finally brought to life.

6/10 which I feel it gets that high despite the faults of the staff on almost all levels. Although if someone gave it a much lower score I could hardly blame them.

I hope there's more Hirasawa music in the next season, they used Hai Yo so much, in another anime I'd start to get annoyed by overusing a song, but in this it was welcome relief.
May 8, 2017 11:25 AM
Dec 2012
I actually liked the ending to the season. The characters grew with exposure to Guts.

Overall it was enjoyable and it was good to finally see past the Golden Age arc, having not read the manga yet.

The immersion with the material cancelled a lot of its flaws. Also they took some approaches I found myself liking. I wanted more Berserk after finishing the 97 anime and I can't really say I was disappointed. Maybe binge watching had something to do with it.

I'll watch the next season and look into the manga.
sosmetalMay 8, 2017 11:28 AM
Jul 16, 2017 2:52 AM

Mar 2014
Like I have already said I don't really enjoy the ending of the conviction arc because I feel like the action drags way too long. So naturally this is not one of my favourite arcs even without the animation. This was a pretty decent adaptation if we exclude the crappy animation and take into account that it was one-cour. Anyway, 5/10 for me. I will get round to watching the next 12 eps after a while.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.