Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 31, 2017 11:41 AM

Mar 2010
You guys overreacted too much into this, yeahh I get it you all are hardcore berserk fans and want a good adaptation, but dude y'all are just looking for flaws to point instead of praising something good.
CGI is really bad but its bearable, and story-wise after episode 2-3 this anime followed almost faithfully the manga which is what everyone been asking for
Solid 8/10 for me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
BeYourself said:
You guys overreacted too much into this, yeahh I get it you all are hardcore berserk fans and want a good adaptation, but dude y'all are just looking for flaws to point instead of praising something good.
CGI is really bad but its bearable, and story-wise after episode 2-3 this anime followed almost faithfully the manga which is what everyone been asking for
Solid 8/10 for me

Something good? People would be pissed if this was just a bad anime... but it's not just bad, it's a disaster beyond belief.
It looks like it has been animated by a bunch of 13 year olds kids sitting in a basement somewhere on their Windows XP computer from 2003, and that's almost what actually happened too.
Dec 6, 2017 1:59 AM

Nov 2016
the '16 season was decent, not too many questionable things. '17 was jumbled.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Feb 13, 2018 8:46 AM

Oct 2015
And Casca's still being drawn into Griffith....

Anyways, I hated the adaptation initially, but ended up liking it somewhat.
TogameCheerioFeb 13, 2018 8:51 AM
Feb 25, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2013
The CGI isn't as bad as i think but the story need to be more in depth, or perhaps just because i didn't watch the original series from the late 90's i feel like i'm missing something, but still quiet nice afterall. That Griffith dude is so "Utsukushi".

Overall score 5/10
Mar 23, 2018 3:31 PM
Jan 2012
good conclusion. Finally griffith appears. Skull knight make good paper in season.
Dec 14, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2014
I enjoyed this series, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the next season, too. It seems most people just want to bash on this as much as possible for it being CGI, and how much it disgraces the manga. It's fucking annoying.

Either way, the music that played on Griffiths appearance? Hell yeah, dude.

8/10 for this.
Dec 26, 2018 6:00 AM
Jan 2017
Very sadistic anime, i love every torture in this anime.. its tell how cruel human in the that time.. so much blood suffering, murder, hatred and fear,, this very dark anime..
Jun 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Feb 2011
No doubt, it's simply 10/10. As the whole serial. (zZz manga)
Aug 17, 2019 6:14 PM
Aug 2019
Being someone who loves the original series doesn't help at all when trying to give an isolated, fair rating. I simply cannot help but compare the two and find this version a bit lackluster; and that's not even taking into account the CGI. While the original's graphics are 'old style', which, now that I think about it, fit perfectly with the brutality that is Berserk, compared to what we got here, they look like a painting of Raphael! I am unable to give any other rating to this other than 3/10 overall. 1/5 to the episode itself.
Aug 23, 2019 5:57 AM

May 2018
Im just glad to see our Griffith is back, I feel bad for Guts no one understands him. Casca still has not recovered, and Griffith looks more powerful now and unapproachable. And of course, the egg is back again.

Oct 22, 2019 8:28 AM
Feb 2019
theultimate341 said:
szympus11 said:
just to laugh over all people who watched this cgi trash lol 😁

Your life must be sad then. Sorry man.

You just Have fucking shit taste and a stupid fucker that didn't read the manga what do you still fucking think that Kirito is the Black swordsman?
Nov 17, 2019 4:58 PM
May 2019
This episode felt a bit rushed. Well, this definitely wasn't as terrible as everyone was calling it - the soundtrack is absolute fire, and the CGI didn't bother me that much.
Dec 3, 2019 8:04 AM

Apr 2016
The story was good, like always, the animation was trash, the sound was pretty bad too. Overall 3/10

Apr 16, 2020 1:00 PM

May 2016
Okay, so Griffith's returned
Dec 19, 2020 4:07 AM
Apr 2016
Look what they did to my poor Berserk! Wasn't as bad as I thought, though, it just REALLY doesn't do Berserk justice - stand-alone however, it had an interesting atmosphere and was fairly entertaining. Forcing goofy faces into a show like this although... what the fuck?!
Apr 7, 2021 6:41 PM

Apr 2020
Alright. So Farnese just goes from hating Guts' guts (haha, punny joke) to straight up adoring him. What a sudden 180, going from worshipping Mozgus to worshipping Guts. I feel like they (the writer(s)) didn't know where to go with her. Weak "character development" on her end, I would say.

Lol, the part where Luca put Nina into a barrel was pretty funny. But I felt like "infinite slime" was kind of an "easy threat" to make up. It was pretty cool when it first appeared, but after (what was it?) 3 episodes, it felt a bit cliché. Using flesh-eating slime as the main threat.

First of all, Berserk 2016 is a great series. All those FPS and anti-CGI elitists can go suck a fat one. If you are someone who read the manga first and then thinks this anime is shit: I can see where you're coming from. That's why I watch the anime first and then go read the manga. If you do it the other way around, you're bound to get disappointed.

The music was better and there was plenty of action. Even though this was about half the size of season 1, I get the feeling that a lot happened over a shorter amount of time. I loved a lot of the episodes and liked most of the other ones. But the ending was kind of disappointing.

Again, the series answers none of the questions you might have and creates even more:

What's up with the talking egg?
What was up with Mozgus and his cronies? Where they really angels?
What was up with the weird deformed baby?
What's up with the Skull Knight?
Where did Guts get the idea or order to go kill the apostles?
How did Rickert get out of that nasty situation in season 1?
Why did only Guts get haunted by demons for years on end, while they left Casca alone?

Where did Griffith go after raping Casca? Did he fly off back into his egg? Why doesn't he have his black "suit" on this time? How did Guts escape from there with Casca? Why did Zodd just break through the wall and fly off with Griffith? Where did Griffith exactly come from? What was the point of him even being there, if it wasn't for Guts or Casca?

I could forgive the anime the first time, for leaving on a cliffhanger. But this doesn't even feel like a cliffhanger to me. Those Kuzran motherfuckers or whatever the hell their name was, they just popped up there for no apparent reason. How could they have gotten so close when everything was just "lethal demongoop" a few hours earlier? I just don't buy it.

In conclusion: Berserk 2016 is great and I totally recommend it. But the ending was a wet fart. And I'm sick of the "more questions than answers" approach. Fine, I get it. I'll go read the manga.

Zoldra0 said:
BeYourself said:
Solid 8/10 for me

Something good? People would be pissed if this was just a bad anime... but it's not just bad, it's a disaster beyond belief.
It looks like it has been animated by a bunch of 13 year olds kids sitting in a basement somewhere on their Windows XP computer from 2003, and that's almost what actually happened too.

If this was made by a bunch of 13 year olds, those kids have more talent than you. You don't even know half of the effort that went into making this. Berserk 2016 is even better than the original series, in my opinion. Or at least, just as good.
JezzmanApr 8, 2021 6:06 AM

Apr 8, 2021 6:59 AM

Apr 2017
Jezzman said:
If this was made by a bunch of 13 year olds, those kids have more talent than you.

I'm not trying to make a Berserk adaptation.

Jezzman said:
You don't even know half of the effort that went into making this.

Most of the effort was put into trying to figure out what the hell they were doing.

Berserk started production in the spring of 2015, but it took them until December just to decide how the series should look.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834
Jun 18, 2021 6:38 PM

Apr 2012
Decent closure: knight goes off in the sunrise with his damsel, Farnese grew and eh, even Nina. Wonder what will happen to saint Luka.

Mixed feeling about Griffith's reincarnation: on one hand it ruins all the fallen angel/daimaou imagery, along with the inner blackness/ugliness becoming the outter appearance symbolic (but narratively that would have led to something like an evil castle à la Dracula and Miura probably didn't want to go there).

On the other hand it replicates the golden age positions, adding the good yin/bad yang structure on top of it. While it sounds interesting in terms of Griffith interacting with the mundane world, why would a daimaou even care about such trifle?
EratiKJun 19, 2021 1:26 AM
Sep 14, 2021 6:39 AM

Dec 2018
quality was shit all around, but i still do like the characters and setting, i wish the plot was a little more thoroughly explained, anime only fans like myself are likely confused as to specifics. could use further exposition. could have been a gem but was sloppily done.
Jul 30, 2022 11:28 PM

Oct 2013
Season's finale had really nice looking depiction of Griffith's return.

This anime wasn't perfect, wasn't even good, but it was enjoyable. CGI was bad, but bearable. Too bad that many things from the manga were either rushed or omitted, but oh well.

Anyway, it wasn't as awful, at least in my opinion, as many people had described it to be. Berserk surely deserves better adaptation, of course; but this show was not that terrible.
Aug 16, 2022 6:22 PM
Dec 2018
The History is very wonderful, world is rich, but the animation. wtf?
Sep 28, 2022 11:18 AM
May 2021
I gave 3 points because of the context and story but animations are awful and hard to watch..
Dec 28, 2022 2:48 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Had this dropped for about 5 years but finally managed to get through it and honestly, the second half was much better. Maybe I just got used to it or something and the plot definitely picked up too to help that cause. 

Farnese's 180-degree character change was kind of hilarious but interesting to see whereas the focus on Nina just felt pointless, it's not like she managed to learn anything in the end xD. I thought it was a bit unlike Berserk to leave most of the prominent characters alive, I was expecting Luca-san on at least two occasions and Nina too of course to bite the dust but they somehow made it out alive. Isidro and Puck's comedic moments at times didn't really fit but I think in general they're good additions to the cast. 

And hey, was that Griffith actually? Casca's reaction seems to suggest so. Looked as if he just came back to life. What exactly happened to him after the Golden Age arc's finale, I wonder.

Definitely feel that the hate for this show because of its animation is a little too much but then again, I was a part of that group for a while so I can't exactly start criticising people for it already, lmao. I guess a 6/10 from me. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 22, 2023 8:33 AM
Mar 2023
puede que sea la peor adaptación que se ha hecho de ningún otro anime,que el CGI sea peor que los gráficos de la PS1,que hayan profanado la franquicia de Berserk por 28323239ª vez,pero dentro de todo lo malo me gustó,además que tiene un muy buen soundtrack
Jul 17, 2023 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
This adaptation brought forth a disappointing blend of horrendous visuals, inconsistent pacing, change of events and grating clang sound effects. Yet, despite its flaws, the second half was better than the first and I found some enjoyment in the essence of Berserk's epic story.

Jul 19, 2023 5:17 PM
Jun 2023
animation isn't even close to manga
Oct 15, 2023 12:38 PM

Nov 2018
Nina's conclusion and resolve were interesting. She may be right, and I think her decision is wise. However, what she did was an act of courage in the end, and I tend to believe she changed under the influence of Luca's selfless behavior.

I'm convinced that people learn from one another primarily by witnessing each other's behavior. However, since people are different, when they learn something, they adapt it to their own way of being. Because of that, sometimes it may feel they act differently from the person they learned from, but they don't.

I also admire Luca. Her spirit seems to glow like a powerful light in the darkness, keeping alive other souls, strengthening them, nourishing them, and sometimes even making them glow like her. I cannot help comparing her to Guts, only that they manifest differently. She has a feminine way of spreading the light of hope, while Guts has a masculine way of doing it.
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Dec 21, 2023 5:29 PM

Sep 2007
It was OK. Lacked the Lost Children Arc though.
Feb 13, 5:50 PM
May 2015
Even though the animation was wretched, I am glad they moved beyond doing the same Berserk over and over. Glad to get more of the manga made into an anime.
Mar 9, 12:16 AM
Sep 2023
I meannn yeah i got kind of addicted and shit to that stuff and welp
Mar 12, 6:58 PM
Jun 2019
We have the beginning of the horrible CGI, but that is easily camouflaged by the magnificent captivating and bizarre story. I confess that it didn't bother me much, as I loved every moment of the journey.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.