Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2016 3:55 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cast and staff talk to explain the concept of the game in the first half of the hour, and anime is 2nd half.

Already 4 members in the team titled Heart of Phantom Thief. There's a high school detective who expressed on the TV show as the main team's enemy. Red hair guy's brother (the guy who wore glass and walked with the art guy while investigating) requested to help the main target for this anime special out. He was the leader who formed thief team, instead of the one getting bullied.

The main guy is fearless even though the enemy is strong. They don't seem to need stuff to release Persona (like guns for Persona 3) use their masks in this series. "Stealing the heart" = purify the heart, it seems.

That old guy in another space changed voice and the assistant(s) are two little girls.

ED: "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There" by Lyn. BD & DVD release on December 7, 2016.

Edit (October 7): Drama CD "The Night Breaker" Will also be bundled: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/10/07/365/
tsubasaloverOct 7, 2016 3:02 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 3, 2016 6:19 AM

May 2015
It was alright. The wait is killing me to finally play the game in Feb.
Sep 3, 2016 6:22 AM

Feb 2008
Now that was good.
Sep 3, 2016 7:04 AM
May 2016
It was fine tbh,like an introduction should be..those abilities were awesome though..can't wait to play the new game xP
Sep 3, 2016 8:09 AM

Jan 2013
The animation was bad but I love it anyway. I want this game so much, 14 feb... Oh man, I can't wait.
Sep 3, 2016 8:26 AM

Feb 2014
Might be not the best way to promote the game, but I guess it was a decent introduction eh ? (although the twist kinda cliche).

The animation, while it wasn't strong, it has many good effects.
I can't remember anyone else besides Akira Hamaguchi, who might did the fight scenes.
kyuudereSep 3, 2016 8:30 AM
Sep 3, 2016 9:15 AM

Feb 2014
Just watched it on CR. I thought it was pretty good. To be honest I haven't really been keeping up on any news about the game so I had really no knowledge about it going into this episode. Seems like an interesting concept.

Anyways I'm pretty excited to play it, I love Persona and SMT. The characters seem good and the story seems like it could go in some interesting directions. I was hoping the characters weren't high schoolers but oh well =/

As for the episode itself I enjoyed it and I liked the twist on making the red haired guy being a scumbag himself.

7/10 for the episode, can't wait for the game.
Sep 3, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2008
I guess is pretty good for introduction but the animation were kind of meh.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 3, 2016 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
This got me even more hyped for the game

Not to mention that the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. Shōji Meguro you da man
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 3, 2016 11:37 AM

Aug 2014
I'm really excited! That choreography in the fight scene and that music. hmmmmm
Sep 3, 2016 12:40 PM
Aug 2015
It was good, but yeah the animation was kinda bad.
Sep 3, 2016 1:11 PM

Jul 2016
Dammit, Arsene, El Zorro and Carmen are awesome Personas.

I am so hyped for Valentine's Day to come. I need my Persona drug soon. Well, I am going to play Persona 3 again!!!
Sep 3, 2016 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
A lot less characters than previous iterations. hough that wouldn't be a problem they were well developed. Guess I'm going to have to play the game for that. Wish this was a full series instead of a special/promo for the game, but it's better than nothing.

-2 for this velvet room attendants this time around being boring looking.
Sep 3, 2016 1:40 PM
Oct 2010
Man, I got goosebumps from the BGM. Same atmosphere as persona 3 FES and Person 4 games. I LOVE IT. CANT WAIT TO PLAY THE ACTUAL GAME!!!! im kinda disappointed about Igor's ( was it his name? )'voice tho.
Sep 3, 2016 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
Igor's voice was changed because the old VA died.

I found this anime to be good at conveying what the full game's story will be like. I found this to be better than the Final Fantasy XV anime, which fails on that front.
"The moment 'pride' is lost, 'freedom' is also lost" - Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics

Sep 3, 2016 2:53 PM

Sep 2015
that was bad, at least watching it saved me 70€. never ever will i buy a game like that....

Sep 3, 2016 3:54 PM

Nov 2011
I liked the music and all but yeah, this was purely for the promo of the game. I didn't' find myself enjoying this beyond the music.
Sep 3, 2016 3:56 PM

Aug 2014
Nigami_Shin said:
that was bad, at least watching it saved me 70€. never ever will i buy a game like that....

"a game like that" ? A JRPG? You can't tell much else from the anime.
Sep 3, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2011
Nigami_Shin said:
why you gotta be silly tho, i take it you haven't played any of the other persona games? the anime's aren't that good and mainly serve as fanservice to those that played them this even being more of a case since it's really just a promotion/introduction of the gang.

i'd encourage you to look up the actual game before stating you'll never buy it.

having said that it was a okay OVA got a bit of a better understanding on how they work best part was still the music.
Sep 3, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2008
I was hoping the ova would be more about the main characters, so in that sense I'm a little disappointed. It wasnt bad, but I didn't really care for the plot of the episode. It seemed like the criminals had more face time than the actual phantom thieves.
Sep 3, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2011
I liked it. It looked better than A-1 Pictures last two attempts at doing a perosna anime. But thank got Production I.G. is doing the anime cutscences.

Overall this was a solid introduction. A-1 pictures somehow didn't fuck up. Atlus needs to stop commissioning all because they are cheap and easy. You should of had Production I.G. do the animation. Still I wanted to see more of the characters, but I am happy we know the premise at least and really get what we're doing. Glad it's different this time. Glad to see the tone is much different than it was in P4.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 3, 2016 7:48 PM

Oct 2011
omfg I can't wait to play the game. Those persona ahhh
Sep 3, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2014
WHAT WAS THAT TWIST
Sep 3, 2016 9:50 PM

Feb 2016
All aboard the Persona 5 hype train.
Sep 3, 2016 9:59 PM
Oct 2010
This gave me confidence in the story for the game, not surprised some people didn't enjoy it though.
Sep 3, 2016 10:36 PM

Oct 2013
4kicks said:
A lot less characters than previous iterations. hough that wouldn't be a problem they were well developed. Guess I'm going to have to play the game for that. Wish this was a full series instead of a special/promo for the game, but it's better than nothing.

What are you talking about? Its a promo for a game that isn't even out yet. Knowing the party members before hands ruins any suspense in the game. Which was a big problem for P4. I knew nothing of consequence would happen till Naoto joined. Less is better when the game isn't out.

Sep 3, 2016 10:47 PM

Aug 2015
I think they did a good job with the special, its definitely made me more interested with whats yet to come in the game. Also loved the new bgm.
Sep 3, 2016 10:53 PM

Nov 2011
Tsukiyama look-alike should've been voiced Miyano Mamoru, not that Suguta is bad but it would've been perfect.

Sep 4, 2016 2:17 AM

Oct 2014
Ooooooooooooooohshit, that was awesome. My PC Master Race Heart suffers every time I read news about P5, but this special was a critical hit. Looks like it's time to replay P3
Sep 4, 2016 4:48 AM

Jun 2015
Really enjoyed the ost.

But nothing more than that... Could've been much better.
ok :p
Sep 4, 2016 5:45 AM
Mar 2016
Nigami_Shin said:

LOL when i read this
look like you never play persona series
and you really didnt know fact almost Anime Game adapted always suck when game in different level
Sep 4, 2016 6:50 AM

Aug 2014
Feels more like a 20 minutes commercial, but does a decent job at promoting the game I guess...? People who didn't follow the news, trailer etc. will have no idea wtf is going on anyway xD

5 more months to go now.
Sep 4, 2016 7:50 AM

Oct 2009
This got me excited for the game again to be honest. The wait has been so long so I'm quite pleased with whatever we get. Its really nice to hear some of the ost and see the characters in action. I was wondering when they were gonna let go of Igor's old voice actor, since up until now they were just reusing old voice clips instead.
Sep 4, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2016
ahhhhhhhh i've been sitting here for more information on the game and then comes out.
like the OST is so amazing and i love how the characters are. i'm so hyped for the game now and getting to see exactly how the Phantom Thieves of Hearts works has now maximized my interest for this.

now for that painful 5 month wait until the game.... OTL
Sep 4, 2016 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
Not bad, everything seemed a little bit rapid though. I wouldn't mind seeing a full series at some point in the future like with Persona 4 since I'm probably never going to have the time of day to play Persona 5 :(
Sep 4, 2016 5:17 PM

Feb 2010
Seeing Carmen animated made this 10/10
Sep 4, 2016 5:39 PM

May 2009
That was really hype! The personas look awesome, especially Goemon
Can't wait for the game
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Sep 5, 2016 5:31 AM

Sep 2011
This feels meh but well, I don't know to full story so I can't judge it much if this will be better after that generic P4. At least this MC is better than Seta/Narukami.

Sep 5, 2016 7:41 AM

Dec 2008
I thought I wouldn't be a fan of the premise of P5 since reading about it felt relatively stupid. Vigilantes, oh wow, great, nothing new.

But I actually enjoyed this. Seeing the characters and their personas was enjoyable. I'm kinda excited to play the game now. Didn't really care that much before this though.
Sep 5, 2016 4:11 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty good for what was supposed to be a really long advertisement for the game. Seems like P5 will have more of P4's style than P3's (but the previous PVs already made that clear). Also, I really like the characters and their personality, and this might just be the best Persona protagonist yet. Also, I expect fantastic music from Persona and I got that here! Animations were pretty meh in this special, but at least A-1 isn't animating the game anime cutscenes (Production I.G is). Valentine's Day is too far away, goddammit :/

4/5
Sep 6, 2016 6:05 AM

Aug 2015
Love the ost , other than that its okay i guess?
Sep 6, 2016 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
Is Anne's stand supposed to be Carmen Sandiego?
Sep 6, 2016 8:31 PM

Jan 2008
Not sure what everyone's complaining about with the animation, it looks fine, I was expecting a lot worse with what everyone keeps saying.

Can't say it got me anymore hyped for the game that I currently am though.
Sep 8, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2008
bestpsychosean said:
4kicks said:

What are you talking about? Its a promo for a game that isn't even out yet. Knowing the party members before hands ruins any suspense in the game. Which was a big problem for P4. I knew nothing of consequence would happen till Naoto joined. Less is better when the game isn't out.

....as I stated previously: "Wish this was a full series instead of a special/promo for the game". I know it's a promo. You're not wrong; I'm just the impatient type.
Sep 17, 2016 3:45 PM
Oct 2015
Am the only one slighly mad about the protagonist not having a name? They really want us to use Shujinko huh?

Welp, this doesn't help the fact that we are very far from Feb 17, the wait is going to be painfully long after watching this.

But eh, I think most of us will make do just fine with either SMT IV Apocalypse and FFXV.
Sep 18, 2016 8:19 PM

Sep 2007
Oh gawd....such a big tease for the game...knew I shouldn't have checked it out so early but the temptation....GAH!!! why is it not Feb yet WHYYYY?!

I know the game's graphics are, more or less, going to be "cleaner" than this but I also couldn't help but smile all giddy-like at seeing these characters animated and talking (and I'll sob a river later if the english dubbing does a horrible job voicing them in comparison...)

I also couldn't help but smile at the "baton-touch" -feature they chose to use for the battle in the ep....kinda surprised they actually chose to include Yosuke but not complaining <3
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Sep 21, 2016 11:11 AM
Apr 2016
Did it job and got me more hyped for the games. Hope they do a full series like they did with Persona 4

Oct 11, 2016 3:33 PM

Sep 2008
OMG! *.*
I'm totally love it! *.*

That cast!
Fukuyama Jun, Miyano Mamoru, Sugita Tomokazu and Mizuki Nana! *.*
I crying... I totally love them all!
That animation!
All characters and story are cool!
I want TV series for this! *.*
Jan 3, 2017 6:58 PM

Apr 2016
LittleStar said:
OMG! *.*
I'm totally love it! *.*

That cast!
Fukuyama Jun, Miyano Mamoru, Sugita Tomokazu and Mizuki Nana! *.*
I crying... I totally love them all!
That animation!
All characters and story are cool!
I want TV series for this! *.*

So, if the P5 Hero's VA is the same as with Lelouch from Code Geass, not to mention Morgana's VA the same as with Pikachu from Pokemon, that means Ryuji and Anne's respective VAs will end up being the same as with Tusk and Angelise from Cross Ange. IMO anyway....
神様はその独り子を賜ったほどに この世を愛してくださった。 それは御子を信じる者が一人も滅びないで 永遠の命を得るためである。
kamisama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
For God so love the world that he gave His only Begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.
Jan 21, 2017 10:46 AM
Sep 2015
Oh my god.Is this real life..We have the VA of Yagami Light,Lelouch,Pikachu for the main cast.This looks like the best cast ever made for a video game.Persona 5 is going to be insane.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Persona 5 Dubbed

senaponime - Jun 8, 2016

27 by Queen_Vania »»
May 29, 2017 4:19 AM

» Persona 5 Ost

Caramellochi - Sep 3, 2016

3 by removed-user »»
Sep 7, 2016 2:49 PM

» Do i need to watch persona 3 and 4 before starting this?

blitz_21x - Sep 3, 2016

2 by Laisrian »»
Sep 3, 2016 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.