Forum Settings
Forums

Do you base an anime off the reviews it gets?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 2, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2016
Sometimes I do but mostly base it off of the description in all honesty but if people say it's good then will definitely check it out.
Sep 2, 2016 3:07 PM

Apr 2010
I avoid all the reviews on this website because this is like the IMDB of anime/manga reviews: Cynical, snarky, and often needlessly nitpicky.

I go to Anime-Planet.com for my reviews or anywhere else but here.

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
Sep 2, 2016 8:40 PM

Mar 2016
Look at the genre -> Read the description -> if it sound interesting then i put it in PTW -> watching the whole show -> make up my own opinion about the show -> go into MaL page -> read some reviews -> comparing my opinion with others opinion

Since i believe that reviews are subjective, i never read them before watching the whole show
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Sep 2, 2016 8:50 PM

Feb 2013
I'm more interested in consensus on a series than what some random review says. Partly because most of the reviews I take a look at are terrible.
Sep 3, 2016 12:29 AM

May 2015
I don't have a good source for anime reviews. Many reviews here are too basic, too general. I need a deep analysis of themes and ideas.

So I tend to watch and search for reviews when I need material for mine. I'm not going to write off an anime based on a review if the premise is interesting enough. A review can persuade me to watch an anime if it points out many interesting - not necessarily good - details.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 3, 2016 12:47 AM

Oct 2013
If I paid attention to reviews I would have never watched (insert name of show that I liked and other people didn't).
Sep 3, 2016 1:05 AM

Mar 2014
>unbiased
>review
>keking all the way back to /a/

Anyway, I don't read them until I'm don'e watching the show, but after that I like to read/watch a review or two if I feel so inclined. I like to see others opinions, especially if it's a controversial show.
AltoRoark said:
Of course, when I see many positive reviews, then that further motivates me to try it out. Though I can't say negative reviews really do the opposite.
yes, for example FLCL has shit reviews because people hate anything that isn't a very straightforward narrative. Depends on the type of show honestly, and it's popularity. Popular shows often have 1-4/10 ratings with little to no value that are based on salt.
Sep 3, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
Illyricus said:
I can use a review to have a determinate idea of a show, but at the end of the day, while the review can help me, I am the one who determinate what I think about "x" show at the end.

I agree. I also tend to look at their MAL profile to see if their tastes and mine are similar. But, in the final analysis, my opinion will trump any others about how I feel about a show at the end. I am ever so happy when the good things I hear are true, tho.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Sep 3, 2016 3:49 AM

Sep 2013
Nah, I try not to read reviews before watching a show. It'd ruin the impact.

If I do read a review I tend to look to see if the review has written other reviews to see if I agree with their opinions.
Sep 3, 2016 5:15 AM

Mar 2016
I read reviews for fun but I don't get affected by them
Sep 3, 2016 5:19 AM

Jun 2007
Rather than attempting to calculate review score accuracy, I try to ascertain the average IQ of an anime's fanbase. That is more telling.
Sep 3, 2016 5:26 AM

Aug 2016
Being an amateur reviewer myself, I generally ignore other people's opinions until I've formed my own, BUT, if something is unanimously considered terrible, I will pay attention and listen.
Sep 3, 2016 10:41 AM

Nov 2014
I do not read reviews for the most part, but the times i do i never listen to what the person has to say and experience it for myself.

I do the same thing with games, i do not care what other people think and judge it for myself because many times i have enjoyed a game others have hated, same with movies, tv shows, and anime.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Sep 3, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2016
I use anime reviews to compare my opinions with them, more often then not there is a review that i agree with. Props to the guys who makes excellent reviews here on MAL.
Sep 3, 2016 12:34 PM

Apr 2016
I simply watch 1-2 episodes from the anime, but usually I read description about the anime first and if it sounds hella boring then I might not even check the anime.
Sep 3, 2016 1:17 PM

Jun 2013
No, i always give a chance to check it out whatever anime if i don't like i drop if i like i keep watching.
Sep 3, 2016 1:17 PM

Mar 2015
Well often ya like Boku no Pico?

The review on that was on point haha
but other wise I think to some extent we should look at the reviews

There are some anime I just loved but got bad reviews for some reason

Just always read the description, watch the trailer, and go for it for some episodes

If you don't like it still, then it's probably not the one for you
Sep 3, 2016 1:28 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Most reviews are like only a little helpful to me. It's like, "The art is crap" and never goes into what the art is even like. Most of the time, I'm reading a review to figure out what an anime is like or if I might want to try it out. So many reviews are like 90% opinion though, and I can only pick out a few things which they usually only added unintentionally.
Or like...?? They'll dock points for "no plot" when it's clear that the series is meant to follow a less linear format? As if everything has to follow the same format to be considered okay? Not helpful at all.

So yeah, I stopped taking reviews seriously. I just watch it myself and-- actually, I usually watch the anime first THEN read reviews, but there are some times like when I'm searching for anime with a certain setting and tone and look to reviews for that info first only to find nothing. For example, I've been kinda looking for some kinda slice of life Hogwarts style Magic/School anime and not just a general magic school anime, so I look to the reviews for if it fits that idea. Or like, I might be looking for a pastel-looking anime and kinda look to see if an anime has it or keeps it up (if I'm in a situation where I can't look for clips myself). Nothing, just, "art is eh. Could be better". Doesn't describe the art at all. Good job.
SwiggySep 3, 2016 1:40 PM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 3, 2016 2:07 PM

May 2016
No because I don't pay attention to reviews for anything, let alone anime. If it sounds interesting enough, then I will watch it. I don't care what everyone else thinks about it. It doesn't effect me at all
Sep 6, 2016 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
read them for the lulz once in a blue moon, doesn't mean i actually take them into consideration. i can draw my own conclusions, thank you very much.
Sep 8, 2016 1:15 AM

Sep 2016
No... i don`t really read some review xD
i just watch 1 episode then if it`s good i`ll continue
Welcome to the Party.

Sep 8, 2016 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
Some reviews are pretty interesting. I look at reviews if I'm undecided on whether if I want to watch the show.
Sep 8, 2016 8:37 AM

Aug 2010
i more tend to look at reviews after ive seen the show myself. So i can compare my thoughts to other people's.

this isnt to say that i wont look at a plot summary or listen to a recommendation.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Sep 8, 2016 4:12 PM
Jul 2012
No because anime reviewers are some of the worst writers around

I remember when I was on anime-planet and was getting into knowing more lesser-known stuff, I stumbled upon Dennou Coil's page. The thumbnail was some zoomed in picture of an illegal, it didn't even show the main characters or anything. On top of that, both top reviews were 5/10s made by the two people who reviewed everything(and had pretty close minded taste tbh). That made me think Dennou Coil was a very random anime that wasn't worth watching.

But then, I stumbled upon the list of a random mal user here who was much more articulate about the reasons why he likes or dislike something. Dennou Coil was one of the rare shows that was very highly rated on his list, and he mentioned how it was awesome to see "characters' beards declaring nuclear war on each other". This show was instantly on my radar; this alone meant that the show was very creative and wasnt rightly represented by the bad thumbnail and 5/10 reviews on anime-planet. Upon finally watching it, it became definitely in my top 10 favorites and will probably never leave this spot, fantastic show

That's why you shouldn't trust reviews, you never know. This applies also to MAL, which seems to be trying hard upon putting negative reviews on highly regarded anime that don't even deserve those scores, such as Haruhi. Erased and Re zero aren't even bad but everyone wants to be dumb like thatanimesnob so they blindly emphasize those shows' negative while completely disregarding why they are even liked in the first place.
Sep 8, 2016 4:16 PM

Jul 2009
Nope, cause I don't even agree with most of MAL's score in the first place.
Sep 8, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2014
Only with a heavy grain of salt, most of the time I get how the reviewer sees the show but then again they might have shit taste.

It's a tossup really.
Sep 8, 2016 4:41 PM

Dec 2012
No, reviews are worthless. I base what I watch on plot descriptions and trailers instead and judge for myself.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 8, 2016 4:44 PM
Apr 2016
No. I base it purely on how I feel about something

Sep 8, 2016 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
Reviews give me an idea of how people might feel for an anime, but I prefer to judge for myself cuz everybody has different taste. Some stuff I love people hate and vice versa
Sep 8, 2016 8:48 PM

Nov 2015
Never, and I run from Anime Fanbases
they always ruin the anime
Sep 9, 2016 8:42 AM

May 2015
I said it before in these threads and I'll say it again, I often take (or took at least) critics advice for films because of monetary and travel issues. I bootleg anime, there's no need to take opinions from people I've never even talked to. Limiting yourself to ratings and reviews is just limiting yourself from experiences, I feel.

I don't even watch anime, but generally speaking if I'm either going to buy it myself eventually regardless of all factors or watch it on the internet for free(because I can't watch it home or buy at a store, I don't live in Japan), there's no point.

And it's not like 9/10 anime reviewers have the writing and insight skills of Ebert or anything. Ratings (not reviews, necessarily) are a priority list however, but I'm not going to watch 200+ anime in a year (I'm not going to have watched at least 100 anime in the next three years), I don't even need a priority list.
ashfrliebertSep 9, 2016 8:47 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

92 by Buny0058 »»
13 seconds ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

32 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - Yesterday

18 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

46 by Toooooooooohru »»
12 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

12 by Toooooooooohru »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.