Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion for a guy to watch shows that are targeted for females and vice versa

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 17, 2016 8:02 PM

Jul 2015
Even though I identify as a heterosexual male, I couldn't help myself from loving Nana and Kare Kano to death <3
Aug 17, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2016
I think it's kinda okay. Since, anime is a purpose for an animation and is indeed an animation itself. Except it's a Japanese animation.
Aug 17, 2016 8:35 PM

Dec 2013
I don't care about targeted audience, If a story of a show sounds interesting then I will watch it.
Aug 17, 2016 8:39 PM

Nov 2009
Okay, a more generic answer now that I'm not in a hurry:
1) Note that most shows you're watching are probably either shounen or seinen. And you fit only one of these demographics. So you're already watching a bunch of shows not meant for you.

2) A lot of anime fans go outside their comfort zone. To explore, to learn what other kinds of people like, because they "ran out" of anime that is inside their comfort zone... Go on, it'll be educational!

3) I am a heterosexual male. I have seen a bunch of shows aimed at girls. Some were good, some were boring, some were too emotionally intense... it's harder to look for the good ones (because most people who know are girls, and have trouble giving recommendations to guys), but it doesn't mean the good ones aren't good.
Note that since many things that appeal to girls don't appeal to us men, your evaluation of a show will not be the same as any girl you discuss it with. It's okay.

4) Cardcaptor Sakura is one of the good ones. I'd say it's unusually interesting and varied compared to the more formulaic magical girl shows like later seasons of Sailormoon (I've never seen the first season).

EcchiLordMamster said:
As a kid in the 90s I know no guy admitted to watching Sailormoon

Well, I did watch it.

EcchiLordMamster said:
I'm currently watching a fujoshi and I give no fucks to admit it, altho I didn't know that's what it was before I started it

What do you mean by "fujoshi"? (I have a feeling you didn't mean to say there is a female anime fan near you, and you ogle her a lot)
And which anime it was, by the way?

On_the_Lam said:
zombie_pegasus said:
If you prefer flat chested girls then it's like an even better version of a "cute girls fighting" type anime.

Would you really start watching an anime just because its characters have flat chests? What the actual fuck?

1) Come for the flat chests, stay for the plot. That's the formula for successful shows.
2) @On_the_Lam meant to say that CCS is also similar to "cute girls fighting" anime, except that it has mostly flat-chested girls, which can be to some guys' taste.
Aug 17, 2016 8:44 PM

Jul 2015
The worst thing that could happen is you don't like it, but you might as well watch it if you're interested:)
Aug 17, 2016 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
What's wrong with that? Yes, go watch Cardcaptor Sakura if that's what you want. And yes, Cardcaptor Sakura is good. Not the best thing ever, but it's enjoyable.
Aug 17, 2016 8:48 PM

Sep 2015
The problem is not if the show is either good or bad, the issue is having to put up with specfic tropes and fanservice that goes with a demographic.
Aug 17, 2016 10:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
flannan said:

EcchiLordMamster said:
As a kid in the 90s I know no guy admitted to watching Sailormoon

Well, I did watch it.

What do you mean by "fujoshi"? (I have a feeling you didn't mean to say there is a female anime fan near you, and you ogle her a

everyone did, just no one admitted it at the time....

i thought anime targeting fujoshis were called fujoshi lol... anyway, hatsukoi monster... imo its very......... gay XD
but aint nun wrong with that, just not my thing. obviously ill live if im watching it
Aug 17, 2016 10:05 PM

Feb 2014
A josei a day keeps the doctor away?!
Aug 17, 2016 10:08 PM

Jul 2009
Two of my top 10 all-time series:

Aria - many reviews in the internet say it's a great relaxing show and very engaging for young girls

Nana - drama with relationships/breakups that appeal to the josei crowd (older women)

So my opinion? I don't really give a rat's butt. If a show is good then it's good, simple.
Aug 17, 2016 10:13 PM

Feb 2015
Well, there are far worse things people can do with their lives than watching cartoons aimed at the opposite gender. At most I'd think it's a bit strange, but honestly I don't care that much, lol.
Aug 17, 2016 10:22 PM

Nov 2009
EcchiLordMamster said:
i thought anime targeting fujoshis were called fujoshi lol...

I have never encontered this word usage before. Shall we popularize it? It sounds a lot better than "fujobait".

EcchiLordMamster said:
anyway, hatsukoi monster... imo its very......... gay XD
but aint nun wrong with that, just not my thing. obviously ill live if im watching it

I guess I'll have to see it with my own eyes - it conflicts with the MAL description too much.
Aug 17, 2016 10:23 PM
Jun 2015
I think Josei is my highest rated demographic which is supposedly made for adult women, I don't really care too much about who a show is targeted at. I actually wish they adapted more into anime the vast majority I've seen are very good.
Aug 18, 2016 3:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
flannan said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
i thought anime targeting fujoshis were called fujoshi lol...

I have never encontered this word usage before. Shall we popularize it? It sounds a lot better than "fujobait".

EcchiLordMamster said:
anyway, hatsukoi monster... imo its very......... gay XD

I guess I'll have to see it with my own eyes - it conflicts with the MAL description too much.

thats how it comes off being used to me lol... yea maybe we should, but idk

lol its a funny show but as a straight male, you'll cringe like i guess some girls do watching ecchi scenes xD
Aug 18, 2016 3:45 AM

Jun 2008
90s Sailor Moon and CCS for sure.

Please don't subject guys to fujoshit tho...
Aug 18, 2016 5:06 AM
May 2009
Mizunashi said:
Just as the question says, just wondering if what are your opinions regarding this topic, since I'm planning to watch Cardcaptor Sakura sometime within my short term break since some people says it's a decent old school magical girl series but the fact that it's targeted for female children audience kinda makes me off-putting for some reason so I just want to check for your opinions regarding this, what to expect when I watch shows that are not even targeted to me, and will you encourage me to do this or what?

There's nothing weird about it, even if something is geared towards women, there is no harm in watching it.

Personally I would say you'd be missing out if you ignored a show just cause it caters to a more feminine audience.
Aug 18, 2016 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Toua said:

Interesting. What's your reason for this? I'm a girl and harems put me off, just curious why you feel this way as a guy.

Why I don't like harems in general?
The concept itself doesn't have very much appeal to me on it's own since I prefer dedicated romance than wishy-washy pseudo-polygamy, but mostly they're usually low quality shows with boring or generic characters, no noteworthy plot, bad dialogue and predictable comedy and that's the real problem. I've definitely seen shows that had harem elements but were still great (Monogatari Series, Steins;Gate), but I don't think I can say the same about a dedicated harem show where it's more or less the main/only focus. Say Nisekoi for example.

In my experience reverse harems aren't that much better in terms of characterization and paying not very much attention to developing any kind of plot so I'm usually not a fan either but as I mentioned they're easier to watch than the normal ones because stupid fanservice that doesn't target me is something I can ignore or get mildly annoyed by at worst (sometimes even amused), but when I feel like I'm the target and the creators think I should enjoy that kind of bs I feel offended and if it's really bad it can be extremely frustrating.

In general I'll stay away from both genres but if there is a cool setting or something reverse harems have a better chance of getting a chance from me. But that's really the only difference for me.

I see. Yeah I pretty much agree. I like ensemble casts in general, but if it's strictly focused on the romantic aspects of the harem, I'm not a big fan either. For me, I just have trouble buying into the premise that everyone is interested in this one person. It doesn't help that a lot of times the harem protagonists doesn't stand out much as a character.
Aug 18, 2016 8:09 AM

Apr 2014
OP IS A FAGGOTTTTTTT

This is what OP really wanted to see
Aug 19, 2016 4:47 PM

May 2013
Yo just sayin by K-ON makes mes me wish I was a girl in their after school group lol. Like holy shit my life as a dude sucks, you know much fun they have?
Aug 19, 2016 4:54 PM

Jan 2016
I'll be quite surprised at first but knowing that I also dig stuff from the shoujo and josei demographic, it'll be only short lived.

Well there are certain tropes that are only unique to each demographics so if you liked them, you'll love said demographic.
ethotAug 19, 2016 4:57 PM
Aug 19, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2011
This is nonsense similar to cars supposedly being toys for boys and dolls being toys for girls. Demographic segmentation is simply a marketing trick that unfortunately outsmarts a large portion of individuals, and it sets unnecessary standards for the two genders. Watch whatever you enjoy, and do not feel affected by a mere business model.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Aug 19, 2016 5:02 PM

Sep 2011
Anybody who has watched more than the mainstream shows can tell you that demographics really don't mean shit outside of pure ecchi moeblob garbage. Even if demographics did matter I am not petty enough to judge people based on the shows they watch (unless that show is MLP or any hentai series).
Aug 19, 2016 5:04 PM

Aug 2016
Pretty much like how I used to watch Totally Spies and Winx Club. Targeted for girls but I really enjoyed them as a kid, nothing to be ashamed of
~
this night has opened my eyes
and I will never sleep again
the dream has gone
~

Aug 19, 2016 5:07 PM

Jan 2014
Sometimes I like reading smut because there's actual context and in depth content describing feelings in a romantic relationship and not just "tits are big, she wants sex I can't wait".

But for the most part I find it tough sticking with a show/manga where the main lead is a female, or when the show is about a group of girls. Just from my experience. Actually TBH I can almost say the same thing for a show about bromance, not super interested in things like that (Haikyuu or Rainbow come to mind). But I prefer a male lead.
anonypcAug 19, 2016 5:27 PM
Aug 19, 2016 5:37 PM

Mar 2016
One of my first anime was Sailor Moon and it's fun for all sexes. I don't really care who a show is aimed at if it's good. Hell, Japanese men love slice of life with only women, or shows like Love Live. That cutesy stuff is targeted toward men, like the majority of My Little Pony fans.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Aug 19, 2016 5:48 PM

Sep 2014
Why would you care what's the target audience? If something interests you, just go ahead and watch it. Don't let some stupid tag bother you.

But then again, I have pink walls in my room.
Aug 19, 2016 5:56 PM

May 2014
As an adult woman the majority of shows I have watched are either senien or shounen and not shoujo or josei. I'd bet that's the case for a lot of other women who watch anime as well. So why is it that some men don't feel they can watch shows targeted at women? Does it really matter? its not like watching a shoujo anime will turn you into a girl. If a show is good then its good no matter the target audience.
Aug 19, 2016 5:57 PM

Jun 2015
Good to see it seems clear to everyone.

@Imaishi
Aug 19, 2016 6:07 PM

Jan 2014
Nyny44 said:
As an adult woman the majority of shows I have watched are either senien or shounen and not shoujo or josei. I'd bet that's the case for a lot of other women who watch anime as well. So why is it that some men don't feel they can watch shows targeted at women? Does it really matter? its not like watching a shoujo anime will turn you into a girl. If a show is good then its good no matter the target audience.

While I agree you make some good points, the case is a matter of preference and relatability for myself, not my sexuality or mentality. Regardless, if the story is good I can get through some, but realistically it makes a difference.
anonypcAug 19, 2016 6:15 PM
Aug 19, 2016 6:24 PM

Jun 2016
I don't see any problems with watching Anime that are targeted for your opposite gender. Just watch and enjoy the show. ^^
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Aug 19, 2016 6:24 PM

May 2014
anonypc said:
Nyny44 said:

While I agree you make some good points, but the case is a matter of preference and relatability for myself, not my sexuality or mentality. Regardless, if the story is good I can get through some, but realistically it makes a difference.

You are obviously going to prefer some genres over others as everyone has different taste and being able to relate to the MC is important, but my issue is with the amount of posts I’ve seen with men almost asking ‘permission’ to watch shows aimed at women. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve never seen a women asking if it was ok for her to watch shows aimed at men. Anyway people should just watch what they enjoy is the point I was trying to get across.
Aug 19, 2016 9:27 PM

Nov 2011
There's nothing wrong with it in the slightest.

Kimi ni Todoke is my favorite anime romance and it's shoujo. Honey & Clover is a great coming of age romance and it's josei. What I've seen of Sailor Moon so far has been promising, and it's shoujo. Akatsuki no Yona seems like a good adventure series, and it's shoujo.

Demographics have little bearing on individual shows. Some are good; some aren't. It's just like anything else.
Aug 19, 2016 10:00 PM

Nov 2009
Nyny44 said:
anonypc said:

While I agree you make some good points, but the case is a matter of preference and relatability for myself, not my sexuality or mentality. Regardless, if the story is good I can get through some, but realistically it makes a difference.

You are obviously going to prefer some genres over others as everyone has different taste and being able to relate to the MC is important, but my issue is with the amount of posts I’ve seen with men almost asking ‘permission’ to watch shows aimed at women. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve never seen a women asking if it was ok for her to watch shows aimed at men. Anyway people should just watch what they enjoy is the point I was trying to get across.

They are afraid their man card will get revoked. XD
Aug 20, 2016 3:03 AM

Sep 2014
Lordwen said:
Good to see it seems clear to everyone.

@Imaishi

Not exactly any of these. More towards purple, I guess. I would say something between this 'blush' and lavender @lordwen;
Aug 20, 2016 3:08 AM

Sep 2015
Pedo Alert!! hahaha just kidding, well if a person wants to do it no one can stop him :)
Aug 20, 2016 3:20 AM
Apr 2016
It's gay shit and as a man you should be ashamed. You only showing how weak your mind is... on a serious note though,if it's really what you into then do you bro, it doesn't matter what others think.
Aug 20, 2016 4:18 AM

Jun 2016
Somehow I'm not even sure what you're trying to ask or make a statement towards. Guys watch girl shows and vise versa all the time. Look how much of the shounen genre is riddled with fan girls :P
Aug 20, 2016 7:56 AM

Apr 2016
animes nowadays with all the moe moe schoolgirl bullshit and supposedly shounen ones with a bunch of faggy looking male characters, i'm not even sure which demographic they're trying to appeal to anymore. just enjoy what you like and not let others get in your head.
Stranger213Aug 20, 2016 8:01 AM
Aug 20, 2016 10:05 AM

Jul 2014
Go ahead. I watch and read a bunch of shoujo stuff and I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it. In fact, quite a few of my favourite manga and anime are "girl oriented" series. There's a lot of good series out there for your enjoyment if you are willing to leave your bubble, and the shoujo/josei demographics are no exception.
Aug 20, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2016
same as others opinion, it doesnt matter at all
i tend to avoid shojo and josei few years ago. but recently i found it's entertaining than mindfuck seinen or super power battle shonen
Aug 20, 2016 12:31 PM

Jun 2016
I don't give a shit, as long as he/she doesn't hurt anyone who fucking cares.
Aug 20, 2016 1:52 PM

Sep 2015
The scum, they have betrayed their gender and are the worst kinds of people.

Nah I don't really care, but I don't like female oriented shows myself
Aug 20, 2016 2:18 PM

Jun 2016
I have no positive or negative opinion for that. Just like I have no particular opinion about girls watching girly animes and boys watching action and stuff.

I don't think all people with the sama gender have to e noy same sort of anime. No one has to belong to the targeted' group. It is a matter of taste and taste only.

Plus, people watch different genres in different periods. Their mood can influence their choice. I sometimes urge for romance, sometimes for thriller. I am the same person, but my need changes.
So, go for it. No problem at all.
Aug 20, 2016 6:54 PM

Oct 2011
Sounds like you care too much about what other people you'll never meet think. Watch it or don't, who cares.
Aug 20, 2016 7:24 PM

Jan 2015
I think people should just watch what they want to watch and and if anyone has a problem with it, they can go fuck themselves.

Edit: My demographic is josei, but I'll watch whatever I want because demographics can also go fuck themselves.

That is all.................at least until I have something else to say in which case I'll come back.
ArillionAug 20, 2016 7:29 PM
Aug 20, 2016 7:26 PM

Nov 2014
I really don't care. I am a manchild who watches chinese cartoons for entertainment instead of doing grown up stuff so I have no right to judge others for what they like or dislike
Aug 20, 2016 8:04 PM
Apr 2016
I have also seen Card captor Sakura series
It was an anime I used to watch when I a kid then I rewatched it last yr.i felt it was good and then I came to know that it was shoujo and then I read orange manga I loved it but to my horror it was also a shoujo and then I understod onething....u should watch or read whatever u want to...and there's no big deal if it's a shoujo or shonen .... U watch it ..if u want to..
If u haven't watched Clannad after story ,Your lie in April,Toradora,Angel Beats,FMAB,Steins gate...go watch them first.....
Aug 21, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
Oh who the phuck cares really. Just watch whatever is good.
I'm never wrong. I once thought I was wrong, turns out, I was mistaken.
Jan 15, 2017 5:54 AM

Nov 2016
I'm a 25 year old man and I just finished watching the second episode of CCS and really enjoyed it. I never actually got into it as a kid.
Jan 15, 2017 6:28 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, I don't have any issue with a guy watching something that is targeted at female audiences. I've watched a fair share of BL anime, and I finished one BL manga. As long as they're compelling, and offer something I'll watch it. Sailor moon is also fucking good. So just watch whatever you want.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by EpicO4 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.