Forum Settings
Forums

Is "turning your brain off" really a good idea when consuming anime? Isn't it just BS?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 12, 2016 11:56 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
JonasTheJay said:
@EcchiLordMamster

It was a joke. I don't agree on everything that Digibro says, especially his K-on and MLP videos. I still think he is a great anime reviewer, who really knows his stuff.

I agree he's "knowledgeable" and clearly a really smart person, but he still, like everyone else had their own biases. So ppl shouldn't be thinking just because he said something that it's of any more value
Aug 12, 2016 12:02 PM
Jul 2016
This quote is relevant to this topic.

Ignore... the bad parts of shows... then they'll be good! Because then, all they have left is the good parts! How come no one else is doing this!? Holy shit, literally every show in existence is a 10/10, now this is revolutionary, im gonna go rewatch Aldnoah.Zero, why didn't i thought of this before!?

Oh, because im not a tool, that's why.
Aug 12, 2016 12:10 PM

Apr 2016
hisokathebutcher said:
this is probably the most stupid thread i have read in a while "why not stare at the wall " yeah ! Because you can turn your brain off your mind ! Whats next ? Drool while watching ?

The funny thing is that you mention the word enjoyment , now i am not an english native speaker , but enjoyment would be letting thing flow on their own without overanalzing things , as one of tool lyrics " overanalizng sepreat the mind from the soul " . So anime is not a math class . But since this elitest one don't even study nor work ( like your digibro amigo ) they start to think maybe overanalzing animes would make me smart huh ?

Anyway , whatever work for you , bring a pen and a paper while watching and write everything that seems "wrong" or cliche and maybe one day you can become like davinchi .

it's very sad to see people just misunderstand arguments to this degree. holy shit.
Aug 12, 2016 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
Murozaki said:
This quote is relevant to this topic.

Ignore... the bad parts of shows... then they'll be good! Because then, all they have left is the good parts! How come no one else is doing this!? Holy shit, literally every show in existence is a 10/10, now this is revolutionary, im gonna go rewatch Aldnoah.Zero, why didn't i thought of this before!?

Oh, because im not a tool, that's why.

Reverse that statement and it's equally true though:

Ignore... the good parts of shows... then they'll be bad! Because then, all they have left is the bad parts! How come no one else is doing this!? Holy shit, literally every show in existence is a 1/10, now this is revolutionary, I'm gonna go rewatch Aldnoah.Zero, why didn't i think of this before!?

Oh, because I'm not a tool, that's why.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 12, 2016 12:24 PM
Aug 2015
What did I learn from that video? that DigiBro likes moe. This Elitist loving moe dude triggers me..
You can only "turn off your brain" when you watch something you like. BOOM MIND BLOWN
Aug 12, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2014
CapitalistGod said:
Well, as Digibro in his latest video tried to make me understand(and he's right if you really think about it).... if that's possible then why do you consume anime, in the first place? Why not stare at the wall and be entertained?

Being able to distinguish what you like or dislike is a proof that you have a set standard for critical judgment. Hell, as long as you're a human, you should be able to think and thinking is essentially judging.

This is where this so called "elitists" are quite right in saying. "Turning your brain off" is BS.
I only think of turning your brain off is a way of saying you should keep an open mind, considering there are anime/manga out there like Higurashi and confuse you left and right...

Live here in the now, chill with your buddy, Jambles.
Mangalist
Animelist
FanFiction/My Writing

Aug 12, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2015
ooo333 said:
Only in comedy animes do you have to turn your brain off.

You don't need a brain to watch ecchi.
Aug 12, 2016 12:30 PM
Sep 2013
I think most of his point is that an anime needs to earn the right to make you ''turn your brain off'' through it's qualities. If a show have enough redeeming aspects, you can ignore it's flaws, stop questioning the world and events and enjoy it. However once the flaws of the shows overwhelm it's positive you can't turn your brain off or at least Digibro can't and he starts seing all the problems the show has.
Aug 12, 2016 12:35 PM

Dec 2014
Personally I can't stand shows that require 0 brain activity.
I like to think ahead, notice potential leads, predict some outcomes/further actions.
So from these alone I'm always there when I'm watching anime.
+ English isn't my mother tonge so I need to focus on the sub a little bit.

But I'm not "overthinking" it. Sometimes I have a fair arguement with my friends about some anime related topics, but during an anime thinking aobut staff like: "this duel has to and in a draw" or "I can't belive this character sid that, she should be a moron and have a MC fetish... oh wait girl romance strategy #69". And yes in thosecases when we diecuss / argue about someting in a anime then I go balls deep into all the legit analysis of why a certain duel was complete bullshit in ~6th episode of Akame ga Kill!. And no we don't even start discussing the final conftontations because that would take a day to get through.

Anyway tl;dr:
Personally I like thinking about the anime whie watching.
But after that any balls deep analysis can be made.
+ Language makes ma really hard to just turn my brain off.
Aug 12, 2016 12:41 PM
Apr 2011
Sorry guys, there's no in-between. You either have to be staring at a wall or dialing calculators.
Aug 12, 2016 12:42 PM
Dec 2015
This whole idea is being taken too literally. If you turn your brain off, anything will be enjoyable. What this saying means is to not think too hard about what you are watching and just take it in. If we do this, it is easier to accept an otherwise dumb story as fun. This also why if a show has more flaws, we notice them and the show doesn't seem as fun.
Aug 12, 2016 1:04 PM
Feb 2016
I don't understand this notion that not analysing an anime will make a watching experience for an anime more fun. People don't analyse to find faults in a piece of work, they analyse to find out why it doesn't work. Even if you watched SAO without analysing it, it still wouldn't be fun because of all the things (that you have chosen not to analyse) that make it less fun. I can only ever see analysis as a way of improving your enjoyment of a work - if you can understand what makes something enjoyable to you then it becomes even more fulfilling. And if it's something bad, you know exactly why you want to stop watching it - so you can drop the show without any qualms.

I suppose that some people might prefer not to analyse certain things while watching anime. I don't often want to analyse certain things such as shot composition, I only do it if the anime is slow-paced. In their cases, not analysing an anime would certainly improve the viewing experience, but it would improve the viewing experience of pretty much every anime they watched. So people saying "Turn your brain off, it will make the anime better!" doesn't really help anybody.
Aug 12, 2016 1:06 PM
Nov 2010
It defeats the purpose of watching anime in the first place. If my brain is off then I'll use youtube or music for background noise.
Aug 12, 2016 1:08 PM

Oct 2014
Turning your brain off will not accomplish anything. Anime do have to do something right to provide you with entertainment even if the writing isn't of any literary merit. Here's a review I made about a show that's technically shit but is very enjoyable. You may have to suspend your disbelief, but your brain can remain fully functional and sober and that will not impair your ability to enjoy it.
Aug 12, 2016 1:09 PM
Apr 2011
JOExHIGASHI said:
It defeats the purpose of watching anime in the first place. If my brain is off then I'll use youtube or music for background noise.

Why use youtube or listen to music when you can just look at a wall?
Aug 12, 2016 1:12 PM

Jan 2015
Why do you need to have your brain on when being entertained?

Anime is a form of entertainment
Aug 12, 2016 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
I never understood what it means to "turn your brain off". When I watch I just watch and try to understand what's going on. If it's comedy I laugh, if it's action I get hyped, if it's mystery or some deep plot I might actually rewatch some scenes to make sure I got everything. If an anime makes me think about something deeply then fine, if not that's also fine. Actually turning my brain off would kind of mean I'm being bored, so I'm not even paying attention to what's happening. And when that happens I drop it.
Aug 12, 2016 1:45 PM

Apr 2014
It's a stupid term just like most terms that came out of the anime communities. That being said, Digibro isn't very intelligent either and I wouldn't listen to what he says most of the time.
Aug 12, 2016 1:51 PM

Jul 2015
romagia said:
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Tell me romagia. Do you want to become one with me? To be of one mind and body? It could be very very nice. Ask me anytime, I'm ready.

edit: awww shit it wasn't a NGE reference. Do people really pay attention to Tool's lyrics?
DeathkoAug 12, 2016 1:56 PM
Aug 12, 2016 1:57 PM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
_Ako_ said:

@EcchiLordMamster People have their own ideas, it's just they can't choose, thus going-in with the majority of the people that manifest their ideas... I don't know if that's true but, it can also manifest on everyone....

Yea that's probably more like it, but theres so many ppl who just follow the sheep or do things like lower their score cause they watched a reviewer who said something negative about a show

"I heard this show was bad, so I'm not gonna watch"

I have a friend who was dodging a show for like 2 months cause he heard it sucked. Then he eventually watched the show and was like "wow, I love this"

I don't believe for a second that SO MANY ppl hate SAO, it'd just ppl constantly see ppl shit talking it, so they jump on the hate train to fit in

Mhhh... About SAO... The hate train will probably be forever... I know that for a fact... The same with all of the series that will be released, people will never stop complaining...

People can do whatever they want, if they "listen/believe" to the reviews of any sort of user/people it's up to them, I am not affected by their shit or whatever they want to do...

Well in the end, it really boils down to what people think... It's the same as, if you prefer modern anime or old school anime... Really that's just it, either you like modern art or you don't... Either you like classic story telling or just moe/cute girls doing cute things....

JonasTheJay said:
@EcchiLordMamster

It was a joke. I don't agree on everything that Digibro says, especially his K-on and MLP videos. I still think he is a great anime reviewer, who really knows his stuff.

It was a joke... Ehhh? Really?
Aug 12, 2016 2:01 PM

Mar 2016
I wouldnt turn my brain off to anything, instead, i would enjoy it while keeping in mind what he did right and what he did wrong.
But of course, there is something different called overanalising or overcriticizing that makes some animes hard to be enjoyed, if anything, i would stop trying to criticize or analise that kinds of show a lot and enjoy the best way i can, i would criticize a little but not overdo it like some kind of reviewer

Aug 12, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2013
Clebardman said:
romagia said:
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Tell me romagia. Do you want to become one with me? To be of one mind and body? It could be very very nice. Ask me anytime, I'm ready.

edit: awww shit it wasn't a NGE reference. Do people really pay attention to Tool's lyrics?
yes, the instrumentality is how world piece will be achieved, but we should keep the shit tasters out

in fact i can quote all the tool lyrics, sing along, and have multiple interpretation for each of them, even better than my chinese animu karaokes
Aug 12, 2016 2:20 PM

Jan 2014
Do I turn on my brain, or my dick when watching hentai?
Aug 12, 2016 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
The day I "Turn my brain off", I will be dead which Is the only time such a thing should occur In any meaning of the phrase.
Aug 12, 2016 2:41 PM

Jul 2015
Tylaen said:
The day I "Turn my brain off", I will be dead which Is the only time such a thing should occur In any meaning of the phrase.

Anime suddenly got a lot more dangerous and exciting :3 I'm gonna watch Mars of Destruction right now, wish me good luck mates...
Aug 12, 2016 2:42 PM

Sep 2012
Rei said:

Can someone really manage to turn on both when watching hentai?
Aug 12, 2016 2:44 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_Ako_ said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Yea that's probably more like it, but theres so many ppl who just follow the sheep or do things like lower their score cause they watched a reviewer who said something negative about a show

"I heard this show was bad, so I'm not gonna watch"

I have a friend who was dodging a show for like 2 months cause he heard it sucked. Then he eventually watched the show and was like "wow, I love this"

I don't believe for a second that SO MANY ppl hate SAO, it'd just ppl constantly see ppl shit talking it, so they jump on the hate train to fit in

Mhhh... About SAO... The hate train will probably be forever... I know that for a fact... The same with all of the series that will be released, people will never stop complaining...

People can do whatever they want, if they "listen/believe" to the reviews of any sort of user/people it's up to them, I am not affected by their shit or whatever they want to do...

Well in the end, it really boils down to what people think... It's the same as, if you prefer modern anime or old school anime... Really that's just it, either you like modern art or you don't... Either you like classic story telling or just moe/cute girls doing cute things....

JonasTheJay said:
@EcchiLordMamster

It was a joke... Ehhh? Really?

i love your responses and i really wish i could just blow people who constantly complain off. i mean it know its not going to change anything and many times it actually just makes the thing they complain about more popular, so why do i even bother?

i guess i just don't feel people are being genuine much of the time
Aug 12, 2016 2:46 PM

Jan 2016
Clebardman said:
Tylaen said:

Anime suddenly got a lot more dangerous and exciting :3 I'm gonna watch Mars of Destruction right now, wish me good luck mates...

Now, if you want to enjoy that... turning your brain off is appropriate. xD
Aug 12, 2016 2:46 PM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
Tylaen said:

I don't wish luck to dead men.

LOREM IBSUM!
Aug 12, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2014
It means to not take the show seriously. Not all shows goals are to have some deep plot filled with twists and suspense.
Aug 12, 2016 2:48 PM

Apr 2013
sasalx said:
Rei said:
Can someone really manage to turn on both when watching hentai?
No need if you can power-fap through ten minutes of filler dialogued clean scenes.
Aug 12, 2016 2:51 PM

Jul 2015
@Shinji

Totally unrelated but I can't comment on your profile... enjoy City Hunter 2! It's an awesome show :3.
Aug 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
Clebardman said:
@Shinji

Totally unrelated but I can't comment on your profile... enjoy City Hunter 2! It's an awesome show :3.
Yeah it is, I can't remember the last time I'v watched something so addictively. Thanks man, there's no way I wouldn't enjoy this.
Aug 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2015
_Ako_ said:
FromZeroToZero said:
Digibro is the example of an elitist who takes anime too seriously, that's why I hate him. And why the hell are you watching if you want to turn your brain off?? That's so fucking stupid

He's just an edgy guy who likes to sound smart but in the end he's making fool of himself by over analyzing anime

Let's get things straight. If you turn-off your brain, you're fucking dead meat. CNS works every time, not just when you're doing an activity or something IQ related.

But, still if his making a fool of himself, I wonder why people, or almost all of the people agrees to him? Does that mean most of the user are Elitist? Just like the guy who made this thread?

@EcchiLordMamster People have their own ideas, it's just they can't choose, thus going-in with the majority of the people that manifest their ideas... I don't know if that's true but, it can also manifest on everyone....

No one agrees on his opinions, and if you do then you need help. He has a sandal for a brain. He's a masochist who creates edgy and stupid (also mostly wrong) reviews to get hate attention so he can feed his fetish
Aug 12, 2016 3:05 PM
Jul 2016
The amount of people here who seriously think that high quality "dumb fun" shows do not deserve serious thinking from the viewer depress me.
Aug 12, 2016 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:
FromZeroToZero said:

No one agrees on his opinions, and if you do then you need help. He has a sandal for a brain. He's a masochist who creates edgy and stupid (also mostly wrong) reviews to get hate attention so he can feed his fetish

Just look at his subscriber count. Not all but most of them agree with him.

Number of subscribers doesn't mean anything, take pewdiepie for example (acts like a tit for 5 mins, gets 47 mil subs). And he appeals to people (elitists) who hate half assed anime so a lot of people like him.
Aug 12, 2016 3:10 PM

Jun 2015
If you turn your brain off your heart might stop beating, just saying.

Rei said:
Maybe you just prefer to use the head inside your pants.
Aug 12, 2016 3:12 PM

Feb 2016
Aside from Digi being a huge hypocrite, staring at a wall is nowhere near as enjoyable as doing anything else, yea i know it was hyperbola but a shitty one. You never really turn your brain off while watching something, someone may just value other things(in a show) more than you do and thats part of "taste".

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 12, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2016
Such a task is harder to pull of in a medium your passionate and critical about. If you don't pay attention to inner workings of something, even if it's udder garbage, you'll likely enjoy it despite the fact that that basically meant you hardly cared. A large chunk of what makes us hate an anime is how bad it screws up and takes passionate viewers out of the story and damages our suspension of disbelief. It's why shows like Absolute Duo have terrible scores. It doesn't always work in a terrible show's favor, but when it does, it can lead to underservedly high scores, like Irregular at Magic High School. It's a tactic you can employ when you don't care too much about what's being presented and only care get things are happening rather than things are done competently.
Aug 12, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
Murozaki said:
The amount of people here who seriously think that high quality "dumb fun" shows do not deserve serious thinking from the viewer depress me.

Yeah, exactly... Even "dumb fun" have something that makes it dumb fun....

Analyzing how Tetsurou Araki(Death Note, Attack on Titan, High School of the Dead, Guilty Crown, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) directs is one example of this since he's .the one responsible for numerous "dumb fun" shows.
Aug 12, 2016 3:19 PM

Sep 2009
Your first problem is giving something from youtube any sort of consideration. Because youtube mostly populated by people without brains to even turn off.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 12, 2016 3:21 PM

Apr 2016
Dishonest said:
Aside from Digi being a huge hypocrite, staring at a wall is nowhere near as enjoyable as doing anything else, yea i know it was hyperbola but a shitty one. You never really turn your brain off while watching something, someone may just value other things(in a show) more than you do and thats part of "taste".
I don't see the hypocrisy. A story should be competent enough to make you have fun and it question and rage at literally every minor detail, because if it does, then it is actively terrible, like Asterisk War and Irregular. The simile isn't too far off. If you're staring blank into a screen by watching a show, and are just spacing out, not giving a care, you might as well be looking at a wall for 20 minutes and trying to imagine some stupid story in your head. Also, he and I value competence in writing and presenting, particularly within this medium. Plus, some people have tastes comparable to that of excrement. *props if you got the Gigguk joke from his latest video*
Aug 12, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
Your first problem is giving something from youtube any sort of consideration. Because youtube mostly populated by people without brains to even turn off.

That's an unsubstantiated thing to say. But, I digress....
Aug 12, 2016 3:35 PM
Mar 2016
This post really made me realize that I am lacking in critical thinking skills in anime.

Critical thinking kills the enjoyment of anime
Aug 12, 2016 3:38 PM

Apr 2015
Another thread made from a Digibro video where the answer is so painfully obvious it hurts just thinking about it.

Yes it's bullshit reasoning by retards yada yada, I'm so much better than everyone that uses such reasoning. Let me type my obvious answer in the form of a 6 thousand word essay to show you how 'smart' I am for explaining the most basic of fucking problems.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2016 3:40 PM

Feb 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
Dishonest said:
I don't see the hypocrisy. A story should be competent enough to make you have fun and it question and rage at literally every minor detail, because if it does, then it is actively terrible, like Asterisk War and Irregular. The simile isn't too far off. If you're staring blank into a screen by watching a show, and are just spacing out, not giving a care, you might as well be looking at a wall for 20 minutes and trying to imagine some stupid story in your head. Also, he and I value competence in writing and presenting, particularly within this medium. Plus, some people have tastes comparable to that of excrement. *props if you got the Gigguk joke from his latest video*

Shit i wrote a response and deleted it on accident :(
Anyway Digi likes shows that need close to no brain to understand, thats what i was referring to.
Gigguk is one of the best anime youtubers as hes honest and consistent throughout his videos.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 12, 2016 3:48 PM

Apr 2016
Dishonest said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Shit i wrote a response and deleted it on accident :(
Anyway Digi likes shows that need close to no brain to understand, thats what i was referring to.
Gigguk is one of the best anime youtubers as hes honest and consistent throughout his videos.
It's because they're written well enough for him to have fun, and well enough for him to have even more fun analyzing them. Also, at least we agree that Gigguk is awesome.
Aug 12, 2016 3:50 PM

Dec 2012
I don't buy it. There's always something to learn or think about with anime. That was a major misconception I saw about NGNL, that it's mindless and you shouldn't think. Except for the half a dozen references to how human nature breeds strength through weakness. People who turn their brains off do it because they're good at it.
Aug 12, 2016 4:00 PM

Jan 2013
JkayW said:
Another thread made from a Digibro video where the answer is so painfully obvious it hurts just thinking about it.
I don't really know anything about this YouTuber, and I'm not really one to deter discussion in most senses, but the amount I see his name thrown around here is definitely frequent enough for me to question the content of his character. A part of me asks, are these concerns that he purposes something people like to gather around? Are these things so mentally stimulating that they actually have people examining themselves? Are they not obvious to begin with, and if not, are they difficult for one to ascertain?
For some they probably are. They might be the first instance one has ever had the opportunity to develop. Or perhaps much like many things within the anime community, it's something people like to circle jerk around for years on end. For myself more specifically, I find it to be a tad silly.
Aug 12, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 2014
Honestly it would be the best way to judge a show fairly.

To just go in with no assumptions, not knowing shit about the show or who produced, and just judging it at face value for what you see.

Unfortunately no one's got time for that shit. So more than likely people are gonna pick and choose what they want to watch to save time. But I'm sure there are people who do their best to watch anime like that, and I can only respect that because I would never be able to do that anymore unless I have an infinite amount of time on my hands.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 7 minutes ago

4 by Atmogenic »»
15 seconds ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 42 minutes ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

7 by traed »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.