Forum Settings
Forums

What kind of protagonist do you like the most ?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 31, 2016 2:12 AM

Feb 2015
I like a strong protagonist that still has room for growth.
Jul 31, 2016 2:35 AM

Jul 2014
One that isnt stupid all the time.....even when the obvious is being pointed out and MP still dosent recognise.....pisses alot of ppl off xD
Jul 31, 2016 2:59 AM

May 2015
I prefer my protagonists morally flawed. I want to see a fucked-up human being dealing with their problems, how they face it and how they connect to the world despite/with it. I find that anime has too many protagonists on the 'moral' side. Now, it's a tradition in fiction, but classic Western literature often deals with more ambiguous characters - As I Lay Dying, Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22, Portnoy's Complaint. This is missing for me in anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 31, 2016 7:14 AM

Apr 2016
Ridiculously OP, Smart and Badass

Ex. Akatsuki (Hagure Yuusha) and Sora (NGNL)
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Jul 31, 2016 7:19 AM

Jun 2016
I like the type that never gives up no matter what, with a stubborn, loving, and strong personality.
Jul 31, 2016 7:43 AM
Jul 2015
1° Average heterosexual young asian man-kun
2° Snoop dog
3° A talking fart
4° A cactus with a poncho

Jul 31, 2016 8:08 AM

Apr 2016
I liked Tomoya (from Clannad) most. He is actually one of the few MCs that I didn't hated, because he felt "realistic" to some point...
Jul 31, 2016 8:14 AM

Aug 2015
The traditional dense harem MCs are the best, don't you think?

Side - note : In most cases I like the anti heroes much more than the me. Like Accelerator and Gilgamesh.

Totally hate those hero of justice
Jul 31, 2016 9:10 AM

Jul 2013
I want him/her to be likeble or, in the case that he/she is unlikeable, he/she be at least funny. I don't care about anything else.
Jul 31, 2016 9:14 AM
Aug 2015
the pervect character

eg: Arata Kasuga - Trinity Seven
Jul 31, 2016 9:42 AM

Feb 2015
Z-Dante said:
The traditional dense harem MCs are the best, don't you think?

Side - note : In most cases I like the anti heroes much more than the me. Like Accelerator and Gilgamesh.

Totally hate those hero of justice

Accelerator is still a MC though.
Secondary protagonist still counts as MC.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jul 31, 2016 9:47 AM

Oct 2015
The best protagonists are those that are very skilled in a certain area, but also have a fatal flaw that the antagonists in the setting capitalise on.

One of the best examples I've seen for this would be Itou Kaiji.

It is also good when the character has certain values that are challenged throughout the series, and they often have to make compromises for the best outcome, as this lends itself to good development.

HecticLeo said:
My favorite kind of protagonist you ask? It would have to be a cute girl grouped with more cute girls doing cute things.

As much as I like CGDCT this is kinda weird to say, because those shows don't have a protagonist-antagonist kind of structure.
Jul 31, 2016 9:56 AM

Jun 2016
The sunny type of character that is light-hearted but can be serious/scary in certain situations or when things get heated.
Jul 31, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2016
I generally like a protagonist that isn't a little bitch.

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 31, 2016 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
Weak and mentally broken protagonists that develop through the course of the show ^^
Jul 31, 2016 5:07 PM
May 2016
Shiba Tatsuya - OP AF and smart AF. Underestimated but in realty one of the strongest in the world. + obvious siscom (uses it to tease his friends) ^^

Ikta Solork - Smart, does his things when needed
Jul 31, 2016 5:13 PM

Aug 2014
For Male: Multi-dimensional, Dominant, Smart and Charismatic

Examples: Lelouch, Kiritsugu, Toua

For Female: Beautifully designed, Cute (well that's my own definition of cuteness :P), Smart with witty unique personality.

Examples: Makise, Holo

That's what I like, but sometimes a favorite character comes from the other side, which is great.
Jul 31, 2016 9:08 PM

Jul 2015
I like MCs that don't piss me off. So far in Nanatsu no Taizai, Meliodas and Elizabeth, the two MCs, hasn't been pissing me off. Yet.
Jul 31, 2016 9:25 PM
Jul 2016
The ignorant type that think they know everything, and slowly develop over the plot and become more outgoing and understanding about other peoples problems.

Ryota Sakamoto from BTOOOM! is an example.
Jul 31, 2016 9:50 PM

Jul 2016
Let's see, I would like a protagonist who was well respected, falls in love with the heroine since childhood and loved by all. Then a twist of fate changes our hero as his world is turned upside down. Now he is the center of stigma, everybody hates his guts, and the heroine can no longer meet him (but harbors deep feelings deep down, society and status quo is what stops her). And thus the hero trains and goes on an epic quest. A quest SO epic that it would put Gilgamesh's Noble Phantasm to shame!

That was too long, but you get the idea.
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Jul 31, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2016
Depend on the genre
For Serious Anime like Action and Psychological :
Not much talk, serious, showing no / little emotion

example : Ichise and Ran from Texhnolyze, Lain from SEL, itachi from Naruto

For Comedy / ligthearted Romance / SoL
lazy but genious / have high intrapersonal intelligence

example : oreki houtarou form Hyouka
Kurniawan_KtrJul 31, 2016 10:43 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jul 31, 2016 10:40 PM
Apr 2015
I like the smart and calm character, and are not bounded by moral or justice, and always stay true for them self and do what they want to, even it means become selfish or villain in other people's eyes.

a few examples are:

Shiki from "kara no kyoukai"
Homura from " mahou shoujo madoka magica"
kirisugu from" fate/zero"
Jul 31, 2016 10:43 PM

May 2012
Any character that undergoes development and isn't a fucking whiny Shinji clone.
Jul 31, 2016 11:44 PM

Mar 2016
I like characters that are willing to do everything to get what they desire the most.

ButterflymansionJul 31, 2016 11:49 PM
Aug 1, 2016 12:04 AM

Jun 2016
I think there are 3 types of MC i like:
-The morally ambiguous MC (you can't tell if they are good or bad and make some questionable decisions )good example is john silver from takarajima
-MC with dark past (especially if they had committed a big mistake in the past and he had to deal with its consequences )the best example is himura kenshin
-the underdog (I can't help but cheer for them when they succeed )best example sakuragi from slam dunk.
Aug 1, 2016 12:24 AM

Aug 2015
For me, I like the characters that are willing to sacrifice everything dear to them -- friends, family, lovers, morals, whatever it may be -- in order to accomplish their goals, and won't stop until they either accomplish what they set out to do or died trying.
Good examples being Lelouch and Kariya Matou.
Everyone says anime is getting worse and nothing compares to the greats;

I say anime never stops getting better

Aug 1, 2016 12:50 AM

Jul 2011
Hmm.. to be honest I never answer this kind of question before or ask myself about that, but when I thought what the main characters from my favorite anime have in common it was easy to figure out the answer :)

It seems that I love characters who are funny, pure in heart, a bit clueless at times on how the world around them work but very talented in what they are doing & characters who become OP later on through their hard work.

Best examples of a male character with those traits:

Son Goku - Dragon Ball
Makunouchi Ippo - Hajime no Ippo
Gon Freecss - Hunter X Hunter
Sousuke Sagara - Full Metal Panic

Best examples of a female character with those traits:

Nodame - Nodame Cantabile
Chihaya - Chihayafuru

Those are some I could think off without doing extensive digging :)
Aug 1, 2016 10:28 AM

Sep 2011
I absolutely love the deadpan characters (due to their nature, not because they are completely dense) who make snarky internal comments to the stuff that happens around them. Also, contrary to a lot of other posters here, I like an already mature protagonist who helps those around them grow.
Aug 1, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2015
D-ohnuts said:
Edgy intellectual badasses who get all the tail, eg. Kirito and Sora.

This guy has some pretty great taste
Aug 1, 2016 10:49 AM

Feb 2016
Realistic MCs who arent oblivious to romance.

Aug 1, 2016 10:52 AM

Aug 2015
I don't really have a preference regarding the main character as long as he is not acting like a whinny bitch and cry every episode when something bad is happening.That type of mc pisses me off.
Aug 1, 2016 11:23 AM
Apr 2016
The strong, dark in terms of demeanor, intellegent one that overcomes their struggles and challenges and of course cool.
Aug 1, 2016 12:03 PM

Jun 2008
I'm ok with MOST protagonists....

except the "I'm a try-hard faggot who screams every chance I get, thinks I'm cool cuz I'm overly emotional and I've been through hell so you MUST accept my awkward, cringy-as-fuck behavior" type.
Aug 1, 2016 12:13 PM

Mar 2016
Kenzo Tenma is best protag, I think.

The ones who question themselves a lot. Like Takao in Aku no Hana and all. I hate dense MCs. Light made a good protag (and antag)... I really hate harem protagonists.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Aug 1, 2016 12:16 PM
Aug 2015
Not generic, weak or dumb just so that the otakus can relate. Very flawed and fucked up characters are mostly what I prefer.
Aug 1, 2016 1:33 PM

May 2015
I like the kind that doesnt really do nothin all episode but eat cake and play guitar
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Aug 1, 2016 2:15 PM

Jan 2015
The tragic past one with either dark or happy future depending on his actions.
Aug 1, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
smart, dark, badass, morally ambiguous and good looking
Aug 1, 2016 2:27 PM

Aug 2012
- the clever, funny, sadistic i.e Break from Pandora Hearts or Okita Souji from Hakuouki : which means the one who think fast, know a lot and know what he wants, and more importantly has perspective about situations, and you never know wheter this character is serious or not

- mostly for girls : cold-minded, cool, not a tsundere but close like a tsun but not a big or a moe dere i.e Lady Oscar, Yatori from Nejimaki : as a girl I tend to prefer character I can relate to and I just can't relate to too expressive girls
=> i.e I prefer Ram to Rem (but I still like Rem)

(those two types are my favourites, but actually I'm not picky about characters, those two types are just the one I tend to like faster or easly)
AmyltiaAug 7, 2016 11:26 AM
Aug 1, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
The strong cool one who cares and protects
Aug 1, 2016 5:10 PM

Mar 2016
I just like the main character(s) to have a personality or be fun to watch around.
Aug 1, 2016 5:13 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i like the kinda ditzy but energetic female leads, they don't have to have big boobs, but that's assuming were talking about the main character here lol
Aug 1, 2016 5:54 PM

Jul 2015
I like amusing and energetic protagonists the most, like Kazuma in Konosuba or Gintoki in Gintama. Even better if they can turn into serious badasses when needed.
Aug 1, 2016 6:16 PM

Jun 2016
I love mature protagonist who could admit their mistake when they did something wrong like Ousawa Akatsuki from hagure yuusha.
Mushoku Tensei is the best harem light novel out there and Rudeus is my man'. . .
Aug 1, 2016 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
I like anime character who have the guts to stand up even when fall down.
Aug 2, 2016 12:39 AM

Jun 2012
I like intelligent/troll main characters with interesting thought processes. I prefer if they're physically weak and have to use their wits to solve problems, but I can tolerate a little physical competency. And I suppose a complete lack of strength wouldn't work for a battle MC, but it would still be nice if they're weaker than opponents and win using smarts and trickery. They need to have no problem breaking the rules for the greater good. Steadfast morals are no good if they get everyone killed.

As far as romance MCs are concerned, they have to have some common sense. Call out undesirable behavior (tsunderes), not be a generic pervert, and generally be a chill guy. I don't care that much if they're "dense", it's not their job to pick up hints. So long as they can recognize someone telling them something directly.

Some examples of main characters I like are Yamato from Majikoi, Yuuji from Grisaia and Nagisa from Ass Class.
Aug 2, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2015
Level-headed protagonists. Ones with megane are a plus in my book.

I'm Mei
i love bunnies 2 death
and pixels

Aug 2, 2016 1:01 AM

Feb 2016
- having sense of humor, and like to troll others. e.g : koro sensei, gintoki
- doing little act, but profitable. e.g : tanaka, oreki, handa sei
- cool appearance, and coolest act. e.g : sakamoto
Aug 2, 2016 1:06 AM
May 2015
someone who doesn't overestimate him/her self and doesn't argue at every little thing. Also someone who falls in love with the character I want them to fall in love with... which is hard for these days. Tragulfar Law, Araragi senpai or Momo-chan (To Love-Ru) are examples.
Aug 2, 2016 1:08 AM
Oct 2013
I like troll main characters. I also like strong and determined main characters.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by Lhundrup »»
1 minute ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 57 minutes ago

26 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

5 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 41 minutes ago

9 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Apr 25

8 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.